Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2018 6:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, it seems there's all sorts of supernatural characters in this series, even ones that can transform into raccoons.

The episode felt pretty similar to the previous one as Aoi begins job hunting to pay her debt. I think the episode made he realize the idea of taking responsibility. Not bad for her personal growth as a character.
Apr 9, 2018 8:09 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Have to say the opening which was sung by Aoi's seiyuu veteran seiyuu singer Nao Touyama really is impressive. The opinion of Aoi's gramps sure was polarising. Well now that she rejected the marriage request it looks like hostility is everywhere. Aoi's gran sure sounded like quite the carefree guy. Kinda fortunate that Matsuba managed to survive such a fall. But Aoi's kindness sure enabled her to meet someone that can be helpful to her. Seems it will be sometime before Aoi is accepted by the rest of the staff. Still opening the eatery will be a good first step. A pretty calm episode that focused on developing the personalities of Aoi and the innkeeper.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2018 8:10 AM

Apr 2016
Look like Aoi just met her grandpa's drinking buddy lol.

And she will also have the eatery, yey.
Apr 9, 2018 8:41 AM

Jun 2015
Despite Aoi's grandfather being such a scumbag, some people still liked him. She is doing a good trying to repay her his debt. Got to meet a friend of her grandfather, who liked her food. She can now open an eatery.
BlackstarFallenApr 9, 2018 9:55 AM
Apr 9, 2018 9:14 AM
Mar 2018
I can already tell this is gonna be one of those josei love triangle things without even reading the light novels, inn keeper and ginji will be into the girl and she will be into them both, hopefully i am wrong, but that is usually how these josei end up going. ( this isnt listed as josei on this site atm but the light novel and manga are outside of website, the manga is even published in a josei magazine)
Apr 9, 2018 9:36 AM

Mar 2016
I really feel like this series is gonna be underrated anime of the season, imo, cause everyone be focused on BHA, Megalo Box, and Persona.
It has that sort of vibe from Mahoutsukai no Yome with a little bit of perhaps Isekai Shokudo...it honestly looks promising even if not fantastic.

Also, gotta love that dope-as-hell OP!
Apr 9, 2018 10:06 AM

May 2010
This girl, everyone is dropping their jaws that she's given a tengu fan, doesn't even try to determine its proper use, thinks of it as an actual leaf and then decides it'll look good under some plates. Fuuuuuck.

The episode was better than the first, I might hang onto this series now.
Apr 9, 2018 10:23 AM

Oct 2009
"This is a valuable fan"
"What should I do with it? - maybe I can put it under dishes"

-okay- XDD
Apr 9, 2018 10:28 AM

Apr 2016
Honestly Ogre was annoying at start but at the end kind also
BRAWLERS
Apr 9, 2018 10:39 AM

Dec 2014
ok nice episode...but 26 episodes were totally unexpected
Apr 9, 2018 10:42 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This continues to be decent all around (maybe not the animation but that's not an issue here for me).

Liking the slow pace (confirmed 26 episodes), Aoi's discussion with Matsuda was nice and she found her resolve.
Apr 9, 2018 10:44 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Swagernator said:
My thought as well.

melton80 said:
I can already tell this is gonna be one of those josei love triangle things without even reading the light novels
I don't know, judging from what I could gather from the novels, the series doesn't seem to be heavy on romance. But there isn't much info floating around. I also keep waiting for Ginji to become two-faced and suddenly be out to get Aoi lol. Probably won't happen based on the series' tone, but I'm always skeptical when they're so overly nice...

Was also waiting for Aoi to wave her new fan carelessly and destroy something :'D
Apr 9, 2018 10:49 AM

Sep 2015
The anime version isn’t really that slow pace and did jump a few scenes off. Like for example it was never explain why Orge god being cold and telling Aoi off during the dispute. Aoi is a human who can die easily unlike ayakashi, thats why she cannot participate in a fight between ayakashi. You can say Orge god care for her in his own way.
Apr 9, 2018 11:30 AM

Dec 2016
*Is given a valuable fan that is super important*
"Cool! I'll put this under my dishes!"
modge
Apr 9, 2018 11:32 AM

Dec 2016
Kineta said:
Swagernator said:
My thought as well.

melton80 said:
I can already tell this is gonna be one of those josei love triangle things without even reading the light novels
I don't know, judging from what I could gather from the novels, the series doesn't seem to be heavy on romance. But there isn't much info floating around. I also keep waiting for Ginji to become two-faced and suddenly be out to get Aoi lol. Probably won't happen based on the series' tone, but I'm always skeptical when they're so overly nice...

Was also waiting for Aoi to wave her new fan carelessly and destroy something :'D

Ginji seems super nice though! It would be kind of disappointing if he became two faced but I can see it happening.
modge
Apr 9, 2018 12:12 PM

Mar 2018
That certainly was better then episode 1. I might watch the whole show, even though the first half can be summed up with:
''Your farther was pretty shitty''
''lol yeah that was totally him''
Apr 9, 2018 1:24 PM

Mar 2012
I'm really liking this show, and the fact that our main character rejected the marriage. Her ethics on working hard to repay that debt are really defining for her, in my opinion.
Apr 9, 2018 2:03 PM

Oct 2012
I'm into it. Sure the MC isn't amazingly interesting but she's kind-hearted allowing the other characters to open up. Also, looking forward to hearing more about her grandpa's life. Most of all I enjoy learning about the different Japanese yokai.
Apr 9, 2018 2:40 PM

Mar 2017
I can already tell this is going to be one of my favourite anime of the season! It's so light, entertaining and cheerful! Plus, i think Odanna might be my new anime crush... he's soooo beautiful (even if he is an ogre!) (♥ω♥)
Apr 9, 2018 3:50 PM

Sep 2017
ClumsyOrange said:
*Is given a valuable fan that is super important*
"Cool! I'll put this under my dishes!"

Exactly my thoughts. Damn, Aoi.

A decent episode all-around. We got to learn more about her grandfather, who is still quite mysterious. So far, I'm truly liking Ginji – apparently I'm gonna root for him, even if I get nothing out of it. New cute girl is also very nice.
Apr 9, 2018 4:43 PM

Sep 2015
Couldn't had the old man just paid her debt if he was so wealth and powerful, why everybody need to make her marry someone she doesn't even know in the middle of the process!?

They should just make a prostitute of her, the debt would be paid much faster! Her opinion and fellings doesn't even matter in that subject anyway.

Really hope she doesn't end with the asshole oni.
Apr 9, 2018 5:46 PM
Aug 2015
I am getting into this series and I really want to see where what is going happen next. I will say that I do not mind the slow relationship because it being 26 episodes we are going to get that.
Apr 9, 2018 8:04 PM

Nov 2012
So is the overarching concept of this that the girl runs an eatery and meets supernatural characters along the way? Because if that's it, we have a problem. I'm not saying art makes the anime, but this show simply isn't pretty enough to work as a relaxing, atmospheric food anime.
Apr 10, 2018 2:22 AM

Oct 2008
wow! nice! i'm slowly liking this show!
Aoi instantly got an ally to a high respected gramps who is very highly regarded on the Ayakashi world! A Tengu Elder named Matsuba-sama!
Looks like opening an eatery is now a near possibility!
5/5.

Apr 10, 2018 3:09 AM

Mar 2014
Another fun, relaxing episode. It pretty much had similar vibes to the previous one. I like Aoi's sense of responsibility and kindness.
Apr 10, 2018 7:32 AM

Jul 2014
I'm in love with this anime already... everything from the atmosphere to the characters, it's so enjoyable and relaxing. We got to know a little about what type of human Aoi's grandfather was... seems like there's history between the Innkeeper and him. Happy for Aoi that she has gotten a great first impression from Matsuba-sama, her grandfather's old acquaintance. Genuinely hope she does well in the coming episodes. Also, love the OP and ED song... the visuals are excellent as well.
Apr 10, 2018 7:32 AM

May 2017
shiro_kai said:

Lol reverse harem is no different from harem, the first love interest the protagonist meets will win 99% chance of the time, history doesn't lie
Apr 10, 2018 7:43 AM

Sep 2015
TsundeReaper said:
shiro_kai said:

Lol reverse harem is no different from harem, the first love interest the protagonist meets will win 99% chance of the time, history doesn't lie

If they go for the harem way, and make every single guy she meets a potential love interest that will certaintly be the end of the story, but for now it seems more like a supernatural Love Triangle. At least is that what I want to believe.
Apr 10, 2018 9:22 AM
Jan 2016
It's getting more interesting now. Great episode!
Apr 10, 2018 8:43 PM
Mar 2017
I am very psyched to find this anime, its totally my thing with the yokai/ayakashi vibe I loved from Morose Mononokean, Elegant Yokai Apartment Life, Kamisama Kiss and my most loved Noragami. I am esp. pleased that she isn't a high schooler and has a skill and can work and isn't interested in the marriage thing as the easy answer. Her character is a bit bland but it is funny how she can be very honest about the faults of her grandfather. They should tell her if the fan has special powers though. The opening music is my thing so much I ridiculously geeked about it! I hope to read a few good reviews, so many were negative esp for the first episode.
Apr 10, 2018 11:43 PM
Jan 2018
This anime remind me of Elegent Life Yokai Apartment,,, I love story about Yokai daily life... But, if it turn into troublesome romance, i might drop it...
Apr 10, 2018 11:48 PM

Feb 2017
So fucking boring. All the action / plot is unreasonable and lacking of explanation.
For example, how they can setup the boat that fast, if the tengu is felt down, why noone seeking him up? We know he is important person and tengu group are really mad at them.
How aoi have money to buy things? Like the ingredients for her food, or even the bandage on her forehead?
And the last scene on the boat, why they even go there in the first place?
For next episode?
Or only to say she is allowed to open the restourant?

This clearly an isekai, but they not even use this situation as a problem / focus.
5/10

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Apr 11, 2018 6:36 AM
Oct 2017
I like Ginji the most until now, although I don't dislike the ogre but I think there are gonna be more interesting characters soon. (I hope so ^^) The only thing I wish for is that it doesn't evolve into a reverse harem anime with no plot, stupid main character and every boy falling for the girl for no reason. I like the main character until now because she actually stands up for herself and wants to work her debt off instead of marrying the ogre... Hope she stays like this (and yes her reaction to the fan was a bit dumb lol). In short: I like the show until now and will continue watching it.
Apr 11, 2018 8:36 PM

Mar 2009
When I first saw the previews and promo pics, I thought this was just going to be your typical reverse harem, or otome adaptation, but it seems to be a lot more. Potential sleeper of the season.
Apr 11, 2018 10:07 PM

Apr 2016
That's one interesting way to use a tengu fan lol
26 episodes is kind of unexpected for this kind of anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2018 6:55 AM

May 2017
Not as good as episode 1, but still enjoyable to watch, i hope the animation quality didnt drop more than this..
Apr 12, 2018 9:04 PM

Jul 2015
Doesn't feel like a series that would last 2 season but here it is anyway. It's not bad or anything, but it ain't great either, just pretty good. And that's only right now, this feels like something that will get quite tiring or boring later on if it continues at this pace. But right now I'm quite enjoying this little tale, and I look forward to seeing where this goes.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 13, 2018 3:09 AM
May 2015
Will she come back to her land?
Apr 13, 2018 12:56 PM

Apr 2016
Got curious that Konitan's the lead guy for this anime and so I gave it a try. No regrets! NGL it's been a while since he's had a lead character I'm liking so far ♥ At this point I can already say I love it. Art and animation is a-okay, the slow pacing flow of the story suits it as well.

Watch out for Ep.3, y'all.

Apr 14, 2018 10:49 PM

Sep 2015
Ahahahaha that female ayakashi hostess got BTFO when the influential head-kengu praised her food. Loved her reaction. She was all smug and demeaning at first. All bark no bite. What a b****.

Also I would of gladly taken up on the Kengu's offer. When life gives you valuable opportunities, you take it. She could of serve someone clearly of much higher social status than anyone at the inn. And get rid of that debt which will take decades to pay off.
Though given that she will likely open a successful eatery, she might be able to pay it off in like 25 years, shorter than what I would original expect.

I wouldn't marry the Kengu's son, but would definitely take up on the rest of his offer. Seeing he's good friends with her grandpa, it is a complete win.
Also shouldn't she try to figure out WHY the leaf is so valuable? I mean... it could potentially pay off her debt.. though rather rude to sell a gift. But maybe some magical property? Like who knows? It could be useful... I really felt like she made lots of poor decisions there. Still like her though but... yea hoped she was a bit brighter.
zcv45Apr 14, 2018 10:52 PM
Apr 16, 2018 7:33 AM

Apr 2018
Is it odd that I didn't like this episode not one bit. I mean if the focus of the anime is cute guys I'd rather have more of the cute nine tails not some Mc guffin to make Aoi look awesome.... which I still don't get.

We all know she'll end up with the Oni but the episode was down right tone deaf with those two!
Apr 30, 2018 4:00 PM

Jan 2017
What a disappointment.... I was expecting this show to be more serious than this. I felt like watching a cheesy children's cartoon at some points.

Plus the love triangle and the "Women hates other women" trope annoys me.... and I was saying I finally found a shoujo that is not toxic ajsjsjnxbd god
きみに逢えてよかった
May 14, 2018 1:03 PM

Jul 2009
Aoi is very good at cooking, it will be nice to see her adventures
May 23, 2018 7:10 PM

Jun 2009
Episode was okay. Hopefully it will get better? I don't think I've seen animation quality drop as fast as the second episode before in a show.
Oct 18, 2018 7:23 PM

Jun 2011
the way this is written is kinda cringy.. by 2nd episode everyone's drawn to this girl. I really liked the first episode because it wasn't easy to get by in this show, the girl didn't blush when a bishounen ogre trying to get in her pants, she was legit terrified as she should have, and I am glad it hasn't gotten there yet by the second episode, but because of her really kind grandfather (but you gotta mention how shitty he was, that kind of writing is cringe no matter the anime), now most people would fight to death for her.

Also, yokai mannerism is basically too Japanese. The worldbuilding is not very solid. I was expecting them to have their own traditions but nooo, it's as Japanese as it gets, just with non-humans.

Now that the set up episodes are past us, hopefully it gets better from here on out. I don't want another Nanami who is so kind and selfless to the point she doesn't even feel real that every yokai male grow to love her romantically. She should be the anomaly, not the norm. Everyone shouldn't grow fond of her that quick.

edit: agree with #42 and #43
ToG25thBaamOct 18, 2018 7:27 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 24, 2020 2:05 PM
Apr 2018
pretty bad writing so far:
So she is hated by everyone except fox guy because shes a human.
Why doesnt she just f off and trys tonescape.
She apparently inherited the powers of her grandfather and since he was able to travel between the 2 worlds she maybe able to manage as well
Aug 16, 2022 11:31 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
For the dislike towards humans they're sure fast to want to marry their own kind to them. I'm glad the tengu enjoyed the food at least, it definitely looked tasty
Jan 5, 1:24 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Netbug
So is the overarching concept of this that the girl runs an eatery and meets supernatural characters along the way? Because if that's it, we have a problem. I'm not saying art makes the anime, but this show simply isn't pretty enough to work as a relaxing, atmospheric food anime.
@Netbug I was trying to pinpoint my issue with the show, and that about sums it up. Like, the writing isn't good enough to be a Dungeon Meshi. Like, it's not really trying to explore the worldbuilding/lore or make characters with depth. Though the plot is too busy for it to just be a relaxing, atmospheric food anime. Less definitely would've been more in this case. Because I'll be honest, I don't think this author has the talent to write something like Dungeon Meshi. Though I guess they wanted to attract the otome crowd.
Jan 5, 1:33 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to evoniee
So fucking boring. All the action / plot is unreasonable and lacking of explanation.
For example, how they can setup the boat that fast, if the tengu is felt down, why noone seeking him up? We know he is important person and tengu group are really mad at them.
How aoi have money to buy things? Like the ingredients for her food, or even the bandage on her forehead?
And the last scene on the boat, why they even go there in the first place?
For next episode?
Or only to say she is allowed to open the restourant?

This clearly an isekai, but they not even use this situation as a problem / focus.
5/10
@evoniee This is the issue with this anime overall. Like, the author isn't a good enough writer to write about mythology and supernatural beings in another world. In series like these, fantasy, you need to have the skill to properly world build and craft your characters. Even when I explore writing fanfiction, I'm always creating little side stories in my head to justify why character B is at spot X, or why character M is at spot Q. The hard part is, it all has to make sense within the world you create. Dungeon Meshi is a great series because it's a gourmet fantasy series that has fantastical creatures and a nice fantasy setting. Though the author of that series has the talent to world build that fantastical world and explore the relationships between the different groups and the different clans. This author doesn't have the talent to do that. They should've just had a normal anime about a girl opening up a restaurant. It would've been simple and cute.

More topics from this board

» Season 2 announced

Dbagas8 - Apr 30

20 by duhitstito »»
May 5, 8:00 PM

Poll: » Chance for Season 2?

CrunchyAnime - Jun 23, 2019

11 by Nox--- »»
May 4, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2018

61 by Forum »»
Feb 23, 8:52 PM

Poll: » Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi Episode 15 Discussion

Ittan_Momen - Aug 17, 2018

5 by Forum »»
Feb 20, 3:06 PM

Poll: » Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2018

101 by MiniMoose-kun »»
Feb 9, 9:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.