Forum Settings
Forums

German police raid houses for online hate speech

New
Jul 14, 2016 11:26 AM
Mar 2013
Police in Germany carried out house raids across the nation on Wednesday, targeting people accused of posting hateful content on social media. In a press release, the country's federal police agency (Bundeskriminalamt, or BKA) said that the homes of around 60 people were searched on Wednesday, and that most of the suspects were accused of posting anti-Semitic, xenophobic, and other extremist messages. The operation was carried out across 14 provinces, involving 25 police departments, and around 40 legal investigations have been opened. This marks the first time that police have carried out nationwide raids over hateful content posted online, the BKA said.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/13/12170590/facebook-hate-speech-germany-police-raid

So having certain opinions is illegal in Germany
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 14, 2016 11:33 AM

Jul 2016
So if I call someone a faggot online in Germany I'm gonna get raided? Shit.

Was it the shyness in my soul that made me lonely just like you? No one noticed I was there, when I walked into the room.

-Freddie Mercury
Jul 14, 2016 11:39 AM
Oct 2014
It's not only Germany I'm afraid to say

Jul 14, 2016 11:43 AM
Feb 2014
German /pol/ users are pretty stupid compared to other countries anyways.
Jul 14, 2016 11:58 AM

Mar 2008
I didn't even know that. Damn, I need to check the news more often (on the other hand, I don't want to... every time I do, I get more scared <.<).
Welp, I didn't know this was prohibited, to be honest. Frowned upon, of course, but to go to such an extend for those people... hmmm....
I said this a while ago, I guess free speech is dead here now xD
Jul 14, 2016 11:59 AM

Aug 2010
Rolfe said:
probably only if it's against a refugee or pro nazi. they still haven't gotten over that.
Jul 14, 2016 12:28 PM

Jun 2014
Nico- said:
/pol/ in general is pretty stupid anyways.

FTFY. I hate it when the funpolice do their sweep because people (who were usually just trolling anyway) get v& for having opinions that don't fit in the state's (((non-jewish :^)))) agenda.

Jul 14, 2016 12:46 PM

Aug 2012
Now, about Saudi Arabia being online very restricted...
Jul 14, 2016 2:07 PM

Dec 2012
They're here. They've come back!
Jul 14, 2016 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
VPN's will be officially an essential resource to preserve freedom of speech and privacy rights. Can't wait.
Jul 14, 2016 3:54 PM

Jun 2012
This is truly a good use of the police force good going.
Jul 14, 2016 4:11 PM

Feb 2008
In a private Facebook group? Really? It's not like they were openly going to the streets and calling for Jews and Muslims to be burnt alive or something. What people do in privacy is their own damn business, as long as they aren't planning attacks or robberies or anything of the sort.

The good news is that people are finally starting to wake up to the leftist extremism and are not nearly as supportive of it as they used to be. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more conservatives voted into power in Europe over the next decade or so. It's the way history goes-- there is always backlash and a reversal when politics go too far in one direction. Maybe a sign that extremism is dumb and centrism is more rational?
Jul 14, 2016 4:19 PM
Aug 2014
Im kinda interested in what the people that got raided exactly wrote.
Everyone here goes immediatelly "hurr durr free speech, just because they said smthg bad about da refugees" but i doubt this targeted anyone but people who rally people up for actual violence.
Jul 14, 2016 4:32 PM

Nov 2009
leNerd said:
Im kinda interested in what the people that got raided exactly wrote.
Everyone here goes immediatelly "hurr durr free speech, just because they said smthg bad about da refugees" but i doubt this targeted anyone but people who rally people up for actual violence.
Then they would be targeted for inciting violence, not hate speech.
Jul 15, 2016 12:56 AM

Mar 2016
I love modern Europe :D Rioting minorites everywhere, drugdealrs, mafia, all working with the state and police, extreme poverty, high unemployment rating, serious demography issues. But, what is our bigget trouble? Ofc, The nazis! They made the world an unlivingable place, so we have to find them, and smash them all. Using terror, violence, secret service, and the police. All for the freedom!
Jul 15, 2016 5:37 AM

Oct 2015
JD2411 said:

So having certain opinions is illegal in Germany

You do not really understand how "Western" legal systems work, do you ?

It is never a crime to be, only to do.
"Doing" can include things as possession, omission, failure to assist and some.

You can have opinions as you want, but not only in Germany it is illegal to threaten, particularly death-threats, to publicly condone terrorism, hate-speech against parts of the population (Volksverhetzung) etc.
And then there are some German particularities - you can still believe no holocaust happened, but if you publicly claim so, then it is a crime.

Even though in Germany free speech is more regulated/ less "free", it is not really much different from how it is in other countries in the "West".
Even in the US death-threats are not "covered by free speech"
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 15, 2016 5:42 AM

Aug 2013
BannoBunka_snork said:

Even in the US death-threats are not "covered by free speech"

hate speech is not death threats and we can say hate speech without been raided currently but not for much longer. Europe will follow Germany's lead. So get ready to not have an opinion online everyone.

SpooksJul 15, 2016 10:23 AM
Jul 15, 2016 6:08 AM

Jul 2014
lol I should kill myself. Hate crime laws shouldn't even exist, what a fucking joke.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Jul 15, 2016 7:38 AM

Mar 2008
I have to see what the actual criteria for this is to have an opinion. There is a difference between inciting violence and just stating a bigoted opinion.
Jul 15, 2016 8:17 AM

Sep 2015
Well, I'm moving to some mountain somewhere and isolating myself from society, at least then I can call people faggots in peace
Jul 15, 2016 9:15 AM

Feb 2012
Dave8814 said:
I love modern Europe :D Rioting minorites everywhere, drugdealrs, mafia, all working with the state and police, extreme poverty, high unemployment rating, serious demography issues. But, what is our bigget trouble? Ofc, The nazis! They made the world an unlivingable place, so we have to find them, and smash them all. Using terror, violence, secret service, and the police. All for the freedom!

That kind of sounds like Europe since forever. The old world was only a paradise for post WW II hippies that felt they were the best thing world has ever seen, before they started to rot away in their safe jobs at the expense of their own children.
Jul 15, 2016 12:32 PM

Jan 2009
Rolfe said:

https://twitter.com/BMI_Bund/status/753141157622939648

No, you won't:

Translation said:
Hate Postings are Postings on the Internet, which contain Threats, Bullying, Defamation, extremist Content as well as blatant Calls to Criminal Offenses and Acts of Violence.

So for Example, you can find on the Internet more and more "Hate Lists", which contain the Data of Persons with the Mentioning of Names, Addresses and Employers, who engage in the Fight against Right-winged Extremism. The Publication of the Data can also be connected with the open Call for Acts of Violence against those Persons. Plus, there are more and more People, who are looking for Protection against Persecution, blatantly being made as Enemies.

Now if only they would act as severe against this Type of Hate as well:
https://euobserver.com/foreign/133798

Or this:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/anti-euro-party-alternative-for-germany-faces-violent-threats-from-left-wing-activists-a-916531.html
https://www.rt.com/news/344722-afd-dentist-scared-life/
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/05/left-wing-extremists-publish-afd-members-addresses/

Then everything will be alright. The Problem is, the Police appears to be too partial even if they do go against Far-Left Extremism as well. Also, the Government is too lenient with Turkey. I would have immediately sanctioned Turkey for openly threatening German MPs and/or inciting to Hate Crimes, but let's keep sanctioning Russia for some stupid Fight with an insignificant, poor and very corrupt Country instead. >_>
NoboruJul 15, 2016 12:55 PM
Jul 17, 2016 6:50 AM

Aug 2009
Don't Germans have better things to spend tax payer dollars and police time on than arresting people for saying things the government doesn't like?
Jul 17, 2016 6:52 AM

Mar 2013
there's no such thing as freedom of speech in EU
Jul 17, 2016 7:38 AM

May 2015
Rolfe said:

They comming for you! RUN!

"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 17, 2016 1:35 PM

Jul 2016
FrozenRaider said:
Rolfe said:

They comming for you! RUN!

SHIT SHIT SHIT I NEED TO HIDE ALL MY DEGENERACY

Was it the shyness in my soul that made me lonely just like you? No one noticed I was there, when I walked into the room.

-Freddie Mercury
Jul 17, 2016 4:33 PM

Aug 2013
Sargon just talked about it, its pretty scary where its heading and hardly anyone gives a fuck. Fuck that BLM this is what people should be up in arms about. You're been jailed for political dissent in Europe.

Civilian coup when? Oh shit I said too much

Jul 17, 2016 5:35 PM

Nov 2012
Spooks said:
Sargon just talked about it, its pretty scary where its heading and hardly anyone gives a fuck. Fuck that BLM this is what people should be up in arms about. You're been jailed for political dissent in Europe.

Civilian coup when? Oh shit I said too much

No kidding it's genuinely scary, people are being arrested for having a different political view and expressing that view.

Why does germany always need to go Nazi. When they go Nazi, they go Nazi, when they go anti-nazi, they go anti-nazi nazi. Can't they just chill the fuck out.

Jul 19, 2016 3:04 AM

Dec 2015
Insane. Yeah I can understand why the government/attorneys want to prosecute them. There are and there always have been laws against such stuff. (And I think they are going too far. Should only be a problem if they really are motivating people to do bad actions and crimes. And only famous or known persons hav such a power. Some normal guy posting a joke or hate comment should not be prosecuted.)

But raids are going too far. But yeah ... sometimes this happens. In the past I think it also was for minor copyright offensive things where they searched houses. (Nowadays some IP is enough as proof and you can sue.)

Should just take down the comments and look for actual crimes on the street instead of wasting time and money to raid houses. Must be a shock for the family (of those people have family) - to see their husband/father (probably mostly adult guys that did those hate speech stuff) being treated like a very dangerous criminal.
Jul 19, 2016 9:15 AM

Dec 2009
The majority of this thread is obviously confused still reading some posts I had to really try hard not to throw up.

This raid came about due to hate speech, NOT insulting. You can insult people all you want, guys, don't panic. Even in germany!~ Publicly speaking about the wish to threaten or harm certain groups of people is despicable and anyone who does that, serious or joking (because you don't joke about something like that in the first place) need to be punished. End of the story.

These lowlifes trying to disguise this disgusting shit as an opinion makes me puke. And when finally someone does something against it people start to whine about 'no freedom' or 'I can't even state my opinion!'. Are you f*cking serious?! *facepalm*
Jul 19, 2016 10:40 AM

Jan 2009
Isalina said:
This raid came about due to hate speech, NOT insulting. You can insult people all you want, guys, don't panic. Even in germany!~ Publicly speaking about the wish to threaten or harm certain groups of people is despicable and anyone who does that, serious or joking (because you don't joke about something like that in the first place) need to be punished. End of the story.
You're right with the first Part, however you've missed a critical Detail. Even if it was Facebook, it was a private Group and as such it's quite difficult to say with 100% Certainty that it was a Volksverhetzung" (Incitement of the People/Masses), since the Message wasn't targeted to the whole People/Masses.

Even assuming it was only a Joke, I don't have any Pity for the raided Persons, although I wouldn't go so far to demand Punishments for joking around and even less so, if it's been done in Private.
Jul 19, 2016 11:04 AM

Mar 2012
If people can get arrested for "apology for terrorism" for LOLing @ Charlie Hebdo I see no problem with this.
End Zionazism
Jul 20, 2016 5:47 AM

May 2009
Mikasa said:
If people can get arrested for "apology for terrorism" for LOLing @ Charlie Hebdo I see no problem with this.

Unless they actively call for people to do violence unto others, they should have the right to say whatever the fuck they want, no matter how sick or disgusting it may be. The worst they should have to worry about is public criticism.

Isalina said:
The majority of this thread is obviously confused still reading some posts I had to really try hard not to throw up.

These lowlifes trying to disguise this disgusting shit as an opinion makes me puke. And when finally someone does something against it people start to whine about 'no freedom' or 'I can't even state my opinion!'. Are you f*cking serious?! *facepalm*

The problem is that hate speech laws are easily abused, and this seems a clear-cut case of that. Besides, the media doesn't tell you the exact nature of these 'hate speech crimes'.

Kraut & Tea held a stream with one of the people who fell victim to these raids.

From what I gathered, this guy got in trouble for sharing a certain picture he found on Facebook that apparently contained a naked woman doing what seemed like a Nazi salute, with the context being that this is basically the problem with Germany today. Though he removed it seemingly not long after he shared it, someone apparently screencapped it and directed it to the police, who raided his house, took his computer and phone and if this case goes through, he might face up to 3 years in jail. And why? Solely because he shared a picture he found funny, and which apparently criticizes the government for their immigration policies.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2016 5:51 AM

Mar 2012
Well they still got arrested for saying things like "Charlie Hebdo artists were cunts" for example. So there was no freedom of speech then.
End Zionazism
Jul 20, 2016 12:15 PM

Nov 2011
I've heard of one guy who got his house raided because he posted a picture of some naked white lady doing like a Nazi salute (or similar to that) and it said something like "German people be like" (I might be wrong on that part).

If I saw a picture like that, I would've immediately thought it was satire.

EDIT: Got it from here btw. Only watched like half an hour because you know I'm terrible.

MasterTengkorakJul 20, 2016 12:22 PM
Jul 20, 2016 12:29 PM

Jun 2016
Mama Merkel at it again.I suppose their opinion was not equal enough.The best possible use of resources, hunting down people who post their opinions online.
Jul 20, 2016 11:35 PM

May 2009
Mikasa said:
Well they still got arrested for saying things like "Charlie Hebdo artists were cunts" for example. So there was no freedom of speech then.

Sounds like a huge miscarriage of justice to me, then.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2016 4:12 AM

Jun 2014
This is really fucked up. Now you can get arrested for posting your opinion? Welcome to the dystopia lads.

Someone is knocking on the door brb.

Jul 23, 2016 4:32 AM
Mar 2011
Noboru said:
Rolfe said:

https://twitter.com/BMI_Bund/status/753141157622939648

No, you won't:

Translation said:
Hate Postings are Postings on the Internet, which contain Threats, Bullying, Defamation, extremist Content as well as blatant Calls to Criminal Offenses and Acts of Violence.

So for Example, you can find on the Internet more and more "Hate Lists", which contain the Data of Persons with the Mentioning of Names, Addresses and Employers, who engage in the Fight against Right-winged Extremism. The Publication of the Data can also be connected with the open Call for Acts of Violence against those Persons. Plus, there are more and more People, who are looking for Protection against Persecution, blatantly being made as Enemies.

Now if only they would act as severe against this Type of Hate as well:
https://euobserver.com/foreign/133798

Or this:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/anti-euro-party-alternative-for-germany-faces-violent-threats-from-left-wing-activists-a-916531.html
https://www.rt.com/news/344722-afd-dentist-scared-life/
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/05/left-wing-extremists-publish-afd-members-addresses/

Then everything will be alright. The Problem is, the Police appears to be too partial even if they do go against Far-Left Extremism as well. Also, the Government is too lenient with Turkey. I would have immediately sanctioned Turkey for openly threatening German MPs and/or inciting to Hate Crimes, but let's keep sanctioning Russia for some stupid Fight with an insignificant, poor and very corrupt Country instead. >_>

no one on the internet care cuase its mostly left wing mps getting attacked
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 23, 2016 4:43 AM
Mar 2011
MasterTengkorak said:
I've heard of one guy who got his house raided because he posted a picture of some naked white lady doing like a Nazi salute (or similar to that) and it said something like "German people be like" (I might be wrong on that part).

EDIT: Got it from here btw. Only watched like half an hour because you know I'm terrible.

a bunch of psudo leftists ther e worse han far left in some ways

the left has laways been about grass roots and and every leftlist Yter has never been involved in the true grass roots hash tagging is not grass roots

boots on the street is grass roots not what all the leftist yter do web petitions are not grass roots either

i hate the far left since they have poision the idea;ls f the left but aleft they appel ot there grass roots while Sargon and his lot do not have any real grass roots ot appel to

the left is allways the bottom up way all these giys should know that but a sppouse spend tomuch time with rightist like Milo have made them change to top down way of doing thing ie the right wing way
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 23, 2016 4:43 AM
Mar 2011
MasterTengkorak said:

a bunch of psudo leftists ther e worse han far left in some ways

the left has laways been about grass roots and and every leftlist Yter has never been involved in the true grass roots hash tagging is not grass roots

boots on the street is grass roots not what all the leftist yter do web petitions are not grass roots either

i hate the far left since they have poision the idea;ls f the left but aleft they appel ot there grass roots while Sargon and his lot do not have any real grass roots ot appel to

the left is allways the bottom up way all these giys should know that but a sppouse spend tomuch time with rightist like Milo have made them change to top down way of doing thing ie the right wing way

Jul 23, 2016 10:17 AM

Jan 2009
DateYutaka said:
no one on the internet care cuase its mostly left wing mps getting attacked
Yeah, because there are mostly left-winged MPs in the first Place.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.