Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 18, 2009 11:07 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
One word for this episode: beautiful.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 19, 2009 9:44 PM

Feb 2009
Now that you've watched 92 and 93, it might be of interest to you to note that these two episodes in particular were handled a little differently in the manga- there was more overt sexual content, and I think that Kyoko and Godai's hesitation around Souichiro's name made a bit more sense.

Remember in episode 92, the scene where Godai basically tells Kyoko that she's the only wman that he has ever loved?

Well in the manga, immediately following that, Kyoko and Godai agree to go into a love hotel together and try to be intimate for the first time. But then the name Souichiro comes up (a call from the Cha Cha Maru telling them they left the dog there) and even the mere mention of the name basically psychs Godai out and puts him completely off his game, wondering whether or not she'd be thinking of him. As a result of that, he can't perform in bed.

And that, in the manga, was what prompted the really beautiful scene between them in this episode, where they're really able to be close to one another for the first time. Nothing to do with any comments by Akemi, the way it was handled here.

(And yeah, in the manga, that beautiful kiss in this episode did lead to sex. It's pretty overt, but tastefully done.)

Nov 19, 2009 10:26 PM

Jun 2009
Interesting information, I was kind of wondering what the differences were between the manga and anime.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 20, 2009 4:32 AM

Feb 2009
It tracks reasonably closely; there is one character in the manga that never appeared in the anime (Nozomu Nikaido, clueless spoiled college student) but after his introductory story arc he's not a huge factor and most of his lines were given either to Yotsuya or Kentaro.

There's also some minor rearrangement in the order of some storylines (the visit to Souichiro's grave in ep 76 comes after he starts working for the Bunny Club, for instance) but for the most part it's extremely close.

Jan 3, 2011 5:11 PM

Apr 2009
I have to admit that there have been a few quite nice scenes in the last couple of episodes... but seriously Godai, a phone proposal? Even you should be able to do better than that...
Aug 21, 2011 6:31 AM

Jun 2009
Alas86 said:
I have to admit that there have been a few quite nice scenes in the last couple of episodes... but seriously Godai, a phone proposal? Even you should be able to do better than that...

Exactly my thought. On the one hand it took him 3+ yrs to finally kiss that woman then he was gonna ask her to marry him on the PHONE!?! What's wrong with him? But I think they are running out of plotlines, it's getting a bit boring, well it's finishing anyway.
Aug 21, 2011 6:32 AM

Jun 2009
ArnoldK said:
Now that you've watched 92 and 93, it might be of interest to you to note that these two episodes in particular were handled a little differently in the manga- there was more overt sexual content, and I think that Kyoko and Godai's hesitation around Souichiro's name made a bit more sense.

Remember in episode 92, the scene where Godai basically tells Kyoko that she's the only wman that he has ever loved?

Well in the manga, immediately following that, Kyoko and Godai agree to go into a love hotel together and try to be intimate for the first time. But then the name Souichiro comes up (a call from the Cha Cha Maru telling them they left the dog there) and even the mere mention of the name basically psychs Godai out and puts him completely off his game, wondering whether or not she'd be thinking of him. As a result of that, he can't perform in bed.

And that, in the manga, was what prompted the really beautiful scene between them in this episode, where they're really able to be close to one another for the first time. Nothing to do with any comments by Akemi, the way it was handled here.

(And yeah, in the manga, that beautiful kiss in this episode did lead to sex. It's pretty overt, but tastefully done.)

That's very interesting. It does somewhat mark a difference in Kyoko's reserved and conservative attitudes though, but I suppose it does add more realism as well to the story.
So in the manga, did Godai attempt to propose by phone as well?
Oct 25, 2011 5:50 AM

Oct 2011
best anime/manga ever! makes me feel like falling in love the first time. i cried tears of joy for this episode, so beautiful...
Jan 17, 2012 4:14 AM

Sep 2008
Alas86 said:

I'm so glad the phone cut him off. A phone proposal to a woman he's loved for years is - I'm sorry to say it - totally pathetic.

Anyway, fantastic episode. By the sounds of it, this whole 'getting together' for Kyoko and Godai was better handled in the anime - or at least handled in a less awkward manner.
Mar 15, 2012 8:54 AM
Dec 2010
Ok i gt admin i was wrong when i said that they'd stay in unclear relationship till last episode and to be heonest i'm glad i was wrong, it was exhasting for Godai and for me as well to watch it but now i feel revieled, episode was nice :)
Sent with Mal Updater

merle_noir said:
Alas86 said:

I'm so glad the phone cut him off. A phone proposal to a woman he's loved for years is - I'm sorry to say it - totally pathetic.

Anyway, fantastic episode. By the sounds of it, this whole 'getting together' for Kyoko and Godai was better handled in the anime - or at least handled in a less awkward manner.

Agreed phone proposal was bad idea i felt like saying "no! don't say anymore, that's too lamme!"
greenmartyMar 15, 2012 8:57 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jun 17, 2012 7:58 PM
Dec 2011
wow finally the proposal what misunderstanding full anime. I've been loving though i'm kind of sad to only have the two episiodes left and the movies. it took till about 40 episodes for her to start thinking about forgeting her dead husband it wasnt till about the 50s she started to seriusly consider godai around 60 or seventy he became the front runner but it still took a while for her to somewhat admit it and till about 90 to finaly do away with the rival. Eventhough i liked it imensly i can see why manga is usual cut short and squezed down when it gets a anime
Jul 19, 2012 1:19 PM

Oct 2009
Excellent ep! FINALLY!!!!!!!!! Their first REAL kiss, disregarding ep 89 as there was no real passion behind that one. So it only took us 93 eps to get to this point...lol I figured as much, regardless it's been an enjoyable series. Looking forward to what's to come, hopefully we don't get bombarded with misunderstandings again.

greenmarty said:
Ok i gt admin i was wrong when i said that they'd stay in unclear relationship till last episode and to be heonest i'm glad i was wrong, it was exhasting for Godai and for me as well to watch it but now i feel revieled, episode was nice :)
Sent with Mal Updater

merle_noir said:
Alas86 said:

Agreed phone proposal was bad idea i felt like saying "no! don't say anymore, that's too lamme!"

Yeah seriously, it's been how many years and he can't just wait til he returns home at the very least and propose in person?!?! So glad the tenants interrupted Godai's stupidity lol.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Aug 5, 2013 4:39 PM
Aug 2007
Well, reading about what happened in the manga is really interesting. I was thinking "woah, are they gonna have sex?!" when they kissed and shut the curtains/lights, so it makes sense that it DID happen.

Also, yeh, for once I'm really glad that the other tenants interrupted Godai. A phone proposal is just stupid.. I can't even believe he was going to say it..
Oct 24, 2013 2:29 PM

Mar 2012
Raitei said:
Well, reading about what happened in the manga is really interesting. I was thinking "woah, are they gonna have sex?!" when they kissed and shut the curtains/lights, so it makes sense that it DID happen.

This explains Akemi's grin in the morning.

May 14, 2015 5:38 AM

Nov 2014
Seriously Godai why would you think that's a good idea? proposing on the phone is never a good thing to do.

I love how Akemi's been pretty much right about everything for the past few episodes.
Oct 21, 2015 12:15 PM
May 2015
You're not Soichiro's substitute - heart touching dialogue.
I believe that after the kiss they gone through sex, the way it was shown was lovely. In the end Godai got the job too. This episode was one of the best in my life.
Nov 23, 2015 9:06 AM
May 2015
The whole episode was really touching and they totally did IT :D I loved it!
Jan 3, 2016 8:49 AM

Dec 2014
meneope said:
ArnoldK said:

That's very interesting. It does somewhat mark a difference in Kyoko's reserved and conservative attitudes though, but I suppose it does add more realism as well to the story.
So in the manga, did Godai attempt to propose by phone as well?

good information. I am somewhat happy for them
Mar 9, 2016 6:02 AM

Jun 2013
They had sex... FUCKING SEX !

being Godai, the condom have broken out, or he bit her tongue, or some other disaster...
May 14, 2016 7:32 PM

Jan 2013
What is this nonsense? No annoying love rivals, no misunderstandings to prey upon our would be couple, Kyoko finally open up her true feelings, Godia not getting screw over and the tenants actually being nice and considerate?? WTF!

Finally a break through in their relationship.
best ep so far
BornWithCHeeSeMay 14, 2016 9:53 PM
Jul 25, 2016 2:21 PM

Feb 2014
I-I'm not used to seeing so much honesty and decisiveness in Meison Ikkoku. But yeah, FINALLY! Took them long enough. AND they even did it.
Aug 11, 2016 10:23 PM

Jan 2013
Beautiful kiss scene, now this is the best episode. 5/5

Shit having just read the corresponding manga chapter, it would be so much better if this anime followed the manga more closely. They really pussed out since this was on TV in the 80's.

But, there is nudity. So really no excuse. Just lame
Jul 3, 2017 4:52 PM

May 2009
Finally some Good Vibes for Godai! He's passed university, almost got a Full time job, kissed and embraced Kyoko, and finally got a Full time JOB at the end! :D
I can understand Kyoko still has memories of Souichirou in her heart, but doesn't expect Godai to be of the same caliber as him. Let's hope for some happy memories with Godai X Kyoko :)
Also, thank god he didn't have any more change left to tell Kyoko about marrying him through the phone lol
Nov 19, 2017 11:38 AM

May 2015
Proposing via phone! Godai is idiot :D

See? Kyoke gets some dick and she is happy again. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 30, 2017 6:18 AM

Jun 2016
It literally took Kyoko 93 episodes to admit her feelings, but I’d say it was worth it. It’s nice to finally see things improve.
The snow scene was so refreshing and heartwarming. Can’t help feeling sad that the show will be over soon.
Dec 7, 2017 3:39 PM

Jan 2013
Oh, well. It was about danm time! Godai has always been pathetic imo, so he trying to propose by phone wasn't a surprise. But finally we get a heartwarming episode about Kyoko and Godai's relationship even if the poor Soichiro was left hungry and sad under the snow lol
Mar 20, 2019 3:17 PM

Nov 2016
Probably one of the most rewarding anime epispdes out there.

Heck, he even got his job, so much win.

Just the attempted phone proposal was off lmao.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 22, 2019 1:13 PM

Jul 2015
After 5 years time, he finally succeeded, the madlad actually did it, it took some episodes (90+) but the payoff is worth it

Apr 9, 2020 12:19 AM
Feb 2018
Perfect. Godai passed his exams, got the job of his dreams as a preschool teacher, and finally got close and intimate with Kyoko. She admitted her feelings too him and he opened up more to her. He said he will never be Souichiro's replacement, but he will make her happy. The episode ends with Kyoko saying for them to take it one step at a time, then they kiss and the curtains close implying they had sex. Took 93 episodes but it's just so satisfying how everything is coming too a good close.
Feb 12, 2021 1:01 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Best episode in the entire series, sadly, I had to endure 90+ episodes for this.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 9, 2021 10:26 AM

May 2019
Yeah finally they did their first time. It's hinted but and nice. Job already settled and now the only thing left is marriage proposal. It's takes them long enough to get there .

Jun 5, 2021 8:57 AM

Jan 2018
I was questioning that this episode seemed more "normal" after the rollercoaster from just some episodes ago and then boom, passionate kiss scene! The conversation about Soichiro was spot on with the exchanges. You can't replace someone who's long gone. You have to be your own person.
Why you guys roasting Godai for phone proposal? It was pretty clear that not only was Kyoko expecting it, she actually was looking forward to it. If the girl has no issues with it then there's nothing wrong with it.
0451Jun 5, 2021 10:18 AM
Jun 12, 2021 9:02 AM

Jul 2020
Yessir yessir yessir, how will these last few episodes come about? I’m expecting a lot of wholesome and fluffy moments now since we got closure from most of the side characters
Jun 23, 2021 7:58 PM
Sep 2019
read chapter 149 in the manga !!!!!!!!!!
do it
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 17, 2022 3:28 AM
Mar 2021
One word. Excellent.
Aug 21, 2022 7:37 AM

Sep 2020
Congratulations Godai! A tender kiss for the ages.

Godai and Kyoko are officially on the rails. No misunderstandings, no problems. Their development as lovers has been quite exquisite and to great pleasure, they are winning for all the losses they've had before.

Expectations for the next episode? A big proposal from Godai, or at least, an emotional one.

3 episodes remaining
Oct 20, 2022 1:58 PM
May 2018
Finally some nice moments. The show seems like it's finally heading towards the resolution we've been all been waiting for.
Jun 17, 2023 5:24 PM

May 2016
Well that was unexpected but Godai kun graduated from being a cherry boy.
Jul 27, 2023 11:08 PM

May 2022
Wow, what an episode, second best in MI! They had an actual adult conversation and were honest about their feelings. Godai san wasn't totally thrown off when Kyoko san talked about Soichiro san and Kyoko san saying that he isn't a replacement must've been a reliefe for Godai san. This has been a big worry for him ever since he found about her late husband - am I enough for her?

You know why they closed the curtains and turned off the light? Because they went to Chacha Maru of course.
Lol just kidding, Akemi san's grin gave it away.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 19 Discussion

meneope - Jun 19, 2011

35 by alexrawk »»
Yesterday, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 10 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 3, 2011

31 by Playcool »»
Apr 28, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 12 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 4, 2011

20 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

29 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 4 Discussion

good-time - Jul 28, 2010

20 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 5:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.