Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 16, 2014 1:03 PM

Mar 2014
because it's the lamest thing you can put in an anime to excite your 12 year old fans.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Sep 16, 2014 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
It's just one of the things a lot of battle shounen took from DBZ, which is an inspiration for most battle shounen out there.
Sep 16, 2014 1:22 PM

Nov 2010
It's fine, just another theme. It matters how a series uses it.

I do not like it when it's being used to solve every fight though and it sorta comes out of nowhere(a couple of times is fine) and when it is the main character's reasoning for doing everything in the story(like Bleach).
Sep 16, 2014 1:35 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:

I do not like it when it's being used to solve every fight though and it sorta comes out of nowhere(a couple of times is fine) and when it is the main character's reasoning for doing everything in the story(like Bleach).

Lol, Bleach has more fights involving secondary main (if that exists :v) characters than any series I ever watched. Ichigo didn't appeared for like... 35 episodes straight.
Sep 16, 2014 1:51 PM

Nov 2010
Danpmss said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Lol, Bleach has more fights involving secondary main (if that exists :v) characters than any series I ever watched. Ichigo didn't appeared for like... 35 episodes straight.
That's not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about Ichigo's motive. For every arc, for every action he takes, it's for his friends or family.

In between arcs when someone hasn't been kidnapped he's normal and only takes action once their safety is threatened.
Sep 16, 2014 1:51 PM

Jul 2014
IntroverTurtle said:

and Fairy Tail
Sep 16, 2014 2:04 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Danpmss said:

That's not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about Ichigo's motive. For every arc, for every action he takes, it's for his friends or family.

In between arcs when someone hasn't been kidnapped he's normal and only takes action once their safety is threatened.

And what is exactly the problem?
Sep 16, 2014 2:09 PM

Nov 2010
Danpmss said:
IntroverTurtle said:

That I don't like it when the main character has only one motivation for all of his actions. What's the problem with me having a problem with it?
Sep 16, 2014 2:14 PM
Aug 2011
people that hate on this are just sour that they don't have any dependable nakama power of their own
Sep 16, 2014 2:20 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Danpmss said:

That I don't like it when the main character has only one motivation for all of his actions. What's the problem with me having a problem with it?

None, you are free to dislike whatever you want.
Ichigo is "the first to protect" (nihongo pun time), as stated in the manga, so is kinda his way of being who he is (he just want to protect those he love). I don't dislike it as long as he use his motivations for good things.

Nakama power, well... as long as is not overused (One Piece and Hunter x Hunter make use of it in an awesome way (and rarely), so I really like them for this), for me is also fine. The message is what it counts.
Sep 16, 2014 2:36 PM

Dec 2012
parfaited said:
people that hate on this are just sour that they don't have any dependable nakama power of their own

But you hate on Fairy Tail...
Sep 16, 2014 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
Maybe he's finally reached acceptance
Sep 16, 2014 2:44 PM

Oct 2013
Don't really have any problem with this, as long as it's executed properly.
Sep 16, 2014 2:47 PM

Dec 2012
OT:

The more, the merrier, I guess.
Easy to write, easy to consume, and not that bad as idea either.

Samumenco>>>>>

Meaning, there's a place to improve. Nakama are best when they do stuff together, but everyone on their own way. Hilarity must ensue.
Sep 16, 2014 2:48 PM
Aug 2011
tsudecimo said:
parfaited said:

Ah, but my hate is a general hatred and not a hate toward their use of nakama power.
Sep 16, 2014 3:07 PM

Jan 2013
parfaited said:
tsudecimo said:

Ah, but my hate is a general hatred and not a hate toward their use of nakama power.

general dislike of Fairy Tail should be the norm.

OT: as most people already mentioned, there are titles that use it fairly well like HxH and then there is Fairy Tail. Which fails miserably
Sep 16, 2014 3:17 PM

Nov 2010
Danpmss said:
=None, you are free to dislike whatever you want.
Ichigo is "the first to protect" (nihongo pun time), as stated in the manga, so is kinda his way of being who he is (he just want to protect those he love). I don't dislike it as long as he use his motivations for good things.
Ok then.

I don't have a problem with him having that motivation. It's that that's his only motivation. I want the main character in a long arc based show to not only have one motivation at all time. Even Natsu has wanting to find Igneel.
Sep 16, 2014 3:25 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Danpmss said:
=None, you are free to dislike whatever you want.
Ok then.

I don't have a problem with him having that motivation. It's that that's his only motivation. I want the main character in a long arc based show to not only have one motivation at all time. Even Natsu has wanting to find Igneel.

But what would he seek, man? Be the best Shinigami that no one ever was? Find the legendary treasure of the Soul King? His secondary objective of discovering what he is exactly was already accomplished, so I can't see what's wrong with just wanting a pacific life (and fighting when necessary) and protecting the ones he love (he seems like Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin, except he is not seeking redemption for his cruel killings).
Sep 16, 2014 3:27 PM

Sep 2014
Ha, yes.....The power of friendship. This adorable gimmick who gives Deus Ex machina powers to beat the crap out of godlike badguys to any heroes who say "Friendship is magic"...

A beautifull example.http://i.imgur.com/zkz5sS1.png?1
(An other reason why I hate this character....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spew8nEz6ws....
Sep 16, 2014 3:28 PM

May 2012
tsudecimo said:
I was actually making a point about his double standards with Berserk and Attack on Titan, you are just yet again pointlessly shit posting about one piece, either that or failing at defending your beloved series.

You made no point. You just crudely switched the two anime around, and basically nothing was applicable. Why don't you actually you know....explain in detail next time?
Sep 16, 2014 3:34 PM

Feb 2010
Danpmss said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Ok then.

But what would he seek, man? Be the best Shinigami that no one ever was? Find the legendary treasure of the Soul King? His secondary objective of discovering what he is exactly was already accomplished, so I can't see what's wrong with just wanting a pacific life (and fighting when necessary) and protecting the ones he love (he seems like Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin, except he is not seeking redemption for his cruel killings).

They could have at least made him enjoy a good, competitive fight like Goku or Yusuke. That would have already made him a lot less boring to watch.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 16, 2014 3:37 PM

Jul 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Danpmss said:

They could have at least made him enjoy a good, competitive fight like Goku or Yusuke. That would have already made him a lot less boring to watch.

Well, those two LOVE (with caps, LOVE) to fight though, and for a very good reason (Saiyan and Youkai bloodlines). And from what I know, Ichigo was never a guy who likes to fight (every single fight he was in was either to protect someone, or to destroy the evil or to defend himself).
Sep 16, 2014 3:50 PM

Feb 2010
Danpmss said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Well, those two LOVE (with caps, LOVE) to fight though, and for a very good reason (Saiyan and Youkai bloodlines). And from what I know, Ichigo was never a guy who likes to fight (every single fight he was in was either to protect someone, or to destroy the evil or to defend himself).

That's what I'm saying. From the start Ichigo was bland, unmotivated and not very interesting at all. That could have been prevented with the easiest method of making him enjoy fighting like his predecessors, bu Kubo just didn't care to give him any attributes or goals in life.
Bleach generally does this to the more important characters, the more interesting they are the less airtime they have (for example Toshiro, the blandest of all captains is the one that appears all the time while the more intriguing ones pop up once in a while at best, and let's not even mention the Vizards here).
The problem is that when the MC has no motivation or goal every arc makes a fitting ending and the series can only continue if new, random threats pop out of nowhere (otherwise he'd just chill and go to school) and that makes the arcs feel very isolated from each other and also gives off the feeling that Kubo is just making it up as he goes and never had any sort of long-term plan for the series, which is about the worst thing that can be said about a battle shounen imo.
Sep 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Nov 2010
Danpmss said:
Idk, that's something only Kubo could decide. I can't just change the whole setting or his goals. There's a myriad of different motives he can have, all not some big goal like being the hokage or whatever so don't only put it down that road. They can have to do with his personality, maybe other things that happen to him while he was saving people, etc. Kenshin seeks redemption, Luffy adventures, freedom, and becoming the pirate king, Naruto seeks acceptance, family, sakura, etc. At least Kenshin has a good reason to do it and I believe he had motives other than just protecting people during the show IIRC. And that discovering what he was objective sounds like it was a small one.

And the problem is it's boring and repetitive. Magnify that where the two largest arcs in the anime are saving a female character who was technically kidnapped/went along by choice and is trapped in another world in a tall building.
Sep 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Aug 2007
IntroverTurtle said:
Danpmss said:

Uh he only came back because she healed him. Not because she called to him.
Sep 16, 2014 3:58 PM

Nov 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
Uh he only came back because she healed him. Not because she called to him.
How did she heal him and you better not give me some manga spoilers.

Sep 16, 2014 4:03 PM

Jul 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Danpmss said:

That's what I'm saying. From the start Ichigo was bland, unmotivated and not very interesting at all. That could have been prevented with the easiest method of making him enjoy fighting like his predecessors, bu Kubo just didn't care to give him any attributes or goals in life.
Bleach generally does this to the more important characters, the more interesting they are the less airtime they have (for example Toshiro, the blandest of all captains is the one that appears all the time while the more intriguing ones pop up once in a while at best, and let's not even mention the Vizards here).
The problem is that when the MC has no motivation or goal every arc makes a fitting ending and the series can only continue if new, random threats pop out of nowhere (otherwise he'd just chill and go to school) and that makes the arcs feel very isolated from each other and also gives off the feeling that Kubo is just making it up as he goes and never had any sort of long-term plan for the series, which is about the worst thing that can be said about a battle shounen imo.

But you gave a 9 for Kenshin, and it make use from the same concept (except for the fact that Kenshin is the main attraction, and not the secondary cast), dude o.O

I don't really think this is the worse thing in a shonen manga, is more like a trope (I'm sure I read that somewhere in TVtropes).
Sep 16, 2014 4:05 PM

Mar 2014
Is there anime that does reverse nakama power? in which where if your comrades help you lose. Also is there any anime in which the enemy, antagonist or villain gets nakama powerup.
Sep 16, 2014 4:11 PM

Feb 2010
Danpmss said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

But you gave a 9 for Kenshin, and it make use from the same concept (except for the fact that Kenshin is the main attraction, and not the secondary cast), dude o.O

I don't really think this is the worse thing in a shonen manga, is more like a trope (I'm sure I read that somewhere in TVtropes).

I don't think Ichigo is part of the secondary cast so I don't know what you're talking about. Just because Kubo's character writing in general isn't very exciting except for some side characters that rarely appeal, doesn't make the issues with Ichigo disappear.

Not planning ahead is a trope now? Okay.

And Kenshin has the mystery and links to his past to keep the reader interested and it also connects the whole story from start to finish. Plus there are plenty of other aspects that make it more interesting, like the historical setting which is well-used etc...
Sep 16, 2014 4:14 PM

Feb 2010
sullynathan said:
Is there anime that does reverse nakama power? in which where if your comrades help you lose. Also is there any anime in which the enemy, antagonist or villain gets nakama powerup.

Tentai Senshi Sunred kinda has both, but not in a serious way. The 'hero' is usually alone and the 'bad guys' are like this big and loving family who support each other etc.. They also always lose in a flash despite motivation speeches on some occasions, and other stuff.
Sep 16, 2014 4:18 PM

Mar 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
sullynathan said:

Tentai Senshi Sunred kinda has both, but not in a serious way. The 'hero' is usually alone and the 'bad guys' are like this big and loving family who support each other etc.. They also always lose in a flash despite motivation speeches on some occasions, and other stuff.

wow
Sep 16, 2014 4:23 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Danpmss said:
Idk, that's something only Kubo could decide. I can't just change the whole setting or his goals. There's a myriad of different motives he can have, all not some big goal like being the hokage or whatever so don't only put it down that road. They can have to do with his personality, maybe other things that happen to him while he was saving people, etc. Kenshin seeks redemption, Luffy adventures, freedom, and becoming the pirate king, Naruto seeks acceptance, family, sakura, etc. At least Kenshin has a good reason to do it and I believe he had motives other than just protecting people during the show IIRC. And that discovering what he was objective sounds like it was a small one.

And the problem is it's boring and repetitive. Magnify that where the two largest arcs in the anime are saving a female character who was technically kidnapped/went along by choice and is trapped in another world in a tall building.

Actually, Kenshin was doing exactly this only (I read and re-read the manga so many time xD), but for that reason, he is one of my favorite characters (the powerful and kind-hearted samurai, that doesn't seek violence, only peace and love *insert main girl here*).

But hey, I agree with you above (it was for those reasons that my rate to "Bleach" is now 6,4-6,8).
Sep 16, 2014 4:29 PM

Jul 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Danpmss said:

I don't think Ichigo is part of the secondary cast so I don't know what you're talking about. Just because Kubo's character writing in general isn't very exciting except for some side characters that rarely appeal, doesn't make the issues with Ichigo disappear.

Not planning ahead is a trope now? Okay.

And Kenshin has the mystery and links to his past to keep the reader interested and it also connects the whole story from start to finish. Plus there are plenty of other aspects that make it more interesting, like the historical setting which is well-used etc...

No, I was just saying that Bleach's main attraction is the secondary cast, while Rurouni Kenshin has Kenshin, only those settings are the same.

I'm not in the mood to go spend 5 hours minimum on TV Tropes, thank you (that place is dangerous) lol

Bleach also has the mystery and links to his past to keep the reader interested and it also TRIES (sometimes really hard) to connects the whole story from start to finish (let's see if Kubo will actually conclude this right).

Historical settings are my "++" in Kenshin, but hey, that is not the point, man xD
Sep 16, 2014 6:19 PM

Mar 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Sep 16, 2014 7:39 PM

Jan 2014
parfaited said:

Speak that truth brotha!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 16, 2014 7:44 PM

Jun 2010
OP clearly never played any JRPG game.
Sep 16, 2014 8:00 PM
Oct 2013
Ryukatsuka said:
Because Ichigo's purpose as the main character is to be the 'normal' middle man and make the oddities of the Bleachverse stand out that much more.
There's a difference between 'normal' and uninteresting.
Ryukatsuka said:
Toshiro is focused upon most of the time because developing him is actually plot constructive.
Not because of the immense popularity he got?
Ryukatsuka said:
Ichigo however, lives the life of an average, modern world teenager. Aside from his role as a substitute Shinigami, Ichigo's life is pretty normal . The only goal that he might have, is the one most people in real life may have; get good grades in school, so you can lead a successful life/future.
Pretty sure he was talking about plot goal, not his long term goal in life. What are you talking about? You can make up excuse as much as you want but character without solid goal (and motivation) is pretty much lacking, that's common sense in writing. Unless Bleach is a slice of life story of Ichigo-chan's daily fighting.
Sep 16, 2014 8:23 PM

Mar 2014
kanno_ said:
Ryukatsuka said:
Because Ichigo's purpose as the main character is to be the 'normal' middle man and make the oddities of the Bleachverse stand out that much more.
There's a difference between 'normal' and uninteresting.
Ryukatsuka said:
Toshiro is focused upon most of the time because developing him is actually plot constructive.
Not because of the immense popularity he got?
Ryukatsuka said:
Ichigo however, lives the life of an average, modern world teenager. Aside from his role as a substitute Shinigami, Ichigo's life is pretty normal . The only goal that he might have, is the one most people in real life may have; get good grades in school, so you can lead a successful life/future.
Pretty sure he was talking about plot goal, not his long term goal in life. What are you talking about? You can make up excuse as much as you want but character without solid goal (and motivation) is pretty much lacking, that's common sense in writing. Unless Bleach is a slice of life story of Ichigo-chan's daily fighting.

And Ichigo is interesting enough. Toshiro's popularity is just an added bonus. As a character, he has the most potential both in fighting prowess as well as character development. That much has been made quite clear already in the story.

You can dismiss them as mere excuses, but as points they'll continue to stand unless you refute them with evidence in line with the story. And cease with that 'no solid plot goal' garbage already. Just because he doesn't have an overused and absurd "I'm going to become the strongest/conquer the world/surpass the greatest" kinda goal doesn't mean he should be derided in favor of his more cliche Shounen counterparts. His desire to protect a mountain of people and to that end subconsciously crave more power and seek enough battles even going so far as to want to control the power of his hollow self freely is sufficient enough of a plot goal in accordance with Bleach's story.
Sep 16, 2014 10:06 PM

Feb 2010
Ryukatsuka said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I'm not gonna reply much to some insults and baseless assumptions. Plus all you do is explain Ichigo's blandess in 2 long paragraphs, but just because he was written boringly on purpose doesn't make him any more interesting *shrug*.
And it was the first battle shounen I watched aside from DBZ as a kid, so I can assure there were no preconceived notions of what the genre should be like. I just quickly started to enjoy it much less than any comparable shows that I started later and started thinking about what maks it less appealing, and in retrospect Ichigo and Kubo's general waste of any potentially interesting aspects he introduced are mainly responsible for it. And yeah 'It can't be helped' is not gonna cut it, because it could be helped if Kubo had some sense of decent writing in him he wouldn't have discarded the Vizards and other stuff like he did. As for Toshiro, that was my point, Kubo always chooses the boring characters to focus on for plot developments, and while Toshiro had some character developments at the start he quickly became stale and stayed that way.
Anyway, no argument in the world will convince me otherwise, I was just explaining why I find it to be the weakest battle shounen of our generation. I didn't argue, I just explained and if you love Bleach then by god just keep enjoying it, just don't expect me to share those sentiments because of some ramblings.
Sep 16, 2014 10:11 PM

Jun 2014
Okashi--chan said:
To encourage Weeaboos to leave their houses, find friends and be productive.

HEY SCREW YOU

Sep 16, 2014 10:13 PM

Mar 2014
>some insults and baseless assumptions<

It's the same with you people every damn time. Whatever, mock-arguments over the quality of controversial Shounen series never go anywhere anyway. I've said my point. Further talk would be futile.
Sep 16, 2014 10:17 PM

Jun 2014
If naruto didnt have nakama power hed be dead by episode 20
Sep 16, 2014 10:20 PM

Mar 2013
"especially" in fairy tail, yeah you defiantly got that one right.
It's actually so repetitive in fairy tail I cant stand that show anymore lol
Sep 16, 2014 10:23 PM

Jul 2011
One Piece does not have the nakama power bullshit.

In One Piece the strongest always win. Luffy unlike natsu has never pulled a powerup out of his anus.
Sep 16, 2014 10:44 PM
Oct 2013
Ryukatsuka said:
And Ichigo is interesting enough.
I disagree with this, but I'll leave it at that.

Ryukatsuka said:
Toshiro's popularity is just an added bonus. As a character, he has the most potential both in fighting prowess as well as character development. That much has been made quite clear already in the story.
Idk, been a while since the last time I read Bleach. But pretty sure at that time I felt like Kubo just exploited his presence just because of his popularity.

Ryukatsuka said:
You can dismiss them as mere excuses, but as points they'll continue to stand unless you refute them with evidence in line with the story. And cease with that 'no solid plot goal' garbage already. Just because he doesn't have an overused and absurd "I'm going to become the strongest/conquer the world/surpass the greatest" kinda goal doesn't mean he should be derided in favor of his more cliche Shounen counterparts. His desire to protect a mountain of people and to that end subconsciously crave more power and seek enough battles even going so far as to want to control the power of his hollow self freely is sufficient enough of a plot goal in accordance with Bleach's story.
The heck? There's nothing more overused in battle shonen than 'wanting to protect people' which leads to desire for power. Seriously. Even Naruto, Luffy, Natsu, Gon, all of them have people they want to protect. That's not enough. If that was the plot goal, then it already happened long time ago since he's done it for quite some time. It's already accomplished. There's no need to repeat the same thing again and again, otherwise it looks like he's just doing random pop-up quest in order to keep the story going.
Sep 16, 2014 10:48 PM

Aug 2014
A good reason for the MC to beat the crap out of the villain that hurt their nakama ._.
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Sep 16, 2014 11:37 PM

Nov 2013
This has become a popular theme cause shounen writers can't think of anything better to justify the MCs random power boosts, so they go along with the good ol' Nakama power BS.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Sep 16, 2014 11:49 PM

Jan 2014
It just gives majority of the characters a simple purpose to keep going and get stronger. It can be used in different ways or some bs excuse for a powerup but yeah.

It's especially boring when it's literately the only reason why the MC does what he does.

Sep 17, 2014 12:09 AM

Aug 2007
Extreme3708 said:
One Piece does not have the nakama power bullshit.

In One Piece the strongest always win. Luffy unlike natsu has never pulled a powerup out of his anus.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1272123&show=0#msg34446887

Also Enies Lobby arc.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

57 by Piromysl »»
27 seconds ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

7 by Piromysl »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 4 hours ago

13 by cyandaqil »»
6 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 7 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.