Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 26, 2010 6:39 PM

Jan 2009
Bad things are happening to a bunch of characters I don't even like. This melodrama refuses to stop being cheesy. I'm tired of this damn bro thing. That gaurd seems like such a fake character in every way. Knowing this stupid anime he'll have some demented childhood too which should make us forgive him. I'm getting closer and closer to dropping this thing. 2/5

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

Apr 26, 2010 7:08 PM

Aug 2008
Aironic said:
What he saw as a child with the 'nice man' and his mother set the tone for the rest of his life and the future relationships he had with others. So, rather than it being the only thing to make him distrustful of others, I saw it as being the trigger that lead him down the path of misanthropy. That said, I don't see an issue with only that one memory of his mother paying for food with her body being shown. It isn't isn't as if it's hard to fill in the blanks, and it would've been wasteful to spend 20+ minutes going through a series of events that wouldn't have told viewers something they didn't already know about his character.

I'm all for differing opinions, but it seems like you're hellbent on hating Rainbow for some bizarre reason if you - Note-person with a George avatar - seriously 5/10'd it over a non-issue. In a time when it's rare to see ANYTHING adults can appreciate coming out of Japan in the way of anime, it comes across as if you're trolling for even throwing around those numbers.

This issue alone isn't the only reason that I have it at a 5 right now. I have a blog post explaining my point of view on the show, which is pretty much a re-cap of what I've been saying in these episode discussions. The characters are 2-dimensional, the direction is too clean and skewed, the narrator bothers me, and it's so 'macho' that it goes back around to feeling gay in a very uncomfortable fashion (this coming from a gay guy). And in spite of all that I do recognize the potential in the story, subject matter, and overall look of the show.

These aren't new things that I've said. Whether or not you or anyone else wants to look at my statements as trolling is out of my hands. I try to be as articulate as possible when I see material I like and dislike to bring it up for discussion. This is a discussion. I'd like to discuss what goes on and see an exchange of ideas regardless of whether or not people agree with me.

Going back to Baremoto, I can see why that is a trigger, but it all goes back to why I don't get the reason for him wanting to reveal Sakuragi to the other 5 boys. If you are a misanthrope you distrust people. Why does he care about them so much to risk his well being just to show him to be a fraud? That doesn't make sense to me. Now, if he were just a smug know-it-all that liked pitting people against each other, that'd be one thing, but he's not. He trusted the man who viciously beat up on him and the others over Sakuragi. I don't know how many different ways I can say it, but that makes no sense.
Apr 26, 2010 9:00 PM

Oct 2009
Well I have been reading around to what people says and DeathfireD has the whole thing right.....Baremoto does not trust anyone because his mother did not trust in herself.....she used her trust in her body to get what she needed (that's the way I see it) also the reason why Baremoto was willing to do anything to not get hit (trust in his own survival) furthermore in the next episode we see he got the key so I assuming he will change for the better and do team up with Sakuragi, which is my favorite so far.

I am also glad they did not show things as explicit as with Jou.....it had more meaning that way to my imagination. Anyways I am so busy with farming it sucks not to be with all as the episode was subbed....good thing I saw it before RAW to get it off my mind. GIF time! (Finally did some and very little.....this one series I will limit the number I usually make) The best parts were Ishihara's expressions and Sakuragi at the end but also how his eyes were at one point facing Ishihara=>

I made some Ishihara and Sakuragi avatars=>
Overall it was good enough for me about Baremoto.
noteDhero said:
Aironic said:
What he saw as a child with the 'nice man' and his mother set the tone for the rest of his life and the future relationships he had with others. So, rather than it being the only thing to make him distrustful of others, I saw it as being the trigger that lead him down the path of misanthropy. That said, I don't see an issue with only that one memory of his mother paying for food with her body being shown. It isn't isn't as if it's hard to fill in the blanks, and it would've been wasteful to spend 20+ minutes going through a series of events that wouldn't have told viewers something they didn't already know about his character.

I'm all for differing opinions, but it seems like you're hellbent on hating Rainbow for some bizarre reason if you - Note-person with a George avatar - seriously 5/10'd it over a non-issue. In a time when it's rare to see ANYTHING adults can appreciate coming out of Japan in the way of anime, it comes across as if you're trolling for even throwing around those numbers.

This issue alone isn't the only reason that I have it at a 5 right now. I have a blog post explaining my point of view on the show, which is pretty much a re-cap of what I've been saying in these episode discussions. The characters are 2-dimensional, the direction is too clean and skewed, the narrator bothers me, and it's so 'macho' that it goes back around to feeling gay in a very uncomfortable fashion (this coming from a gay guy). And in spite of all that I do recognize the potential in the story, subject matter, and overall look of the show.

These aren't new things that I've said. Whether or not you or anyone else wants to look at my statements as trolling is out of my hands. I try to be as articulate as possible when I see material I like and dislike to bring it up for discussion. This is a discussion. I'd like to discuss what goes on and see an exchange of ideas regardless of whether or not people agree with me.

Going back to Baremoto, I can see why that is a trigger, but it all goes back to why I don't get the reason for him wanting to reveal Sakuragi to the other 5 boys. If you are a misanthrope you distrust people. Why does he care about them so much to risk his well being just to show him to be a fraud? That doesn't make sense to me. Now, if he were just a smug know-it-all that liked pitting people against each other, that'd be one thing, but he's not. He trusted the man who viciously beat up on him and the others over Sakuragi. I don't know how many different ways I can say it, but that makes no sense.
Wow talk about another person being vicious towards NoteDhero.....hey you! He is actually a great discussion person! :D
About him revealing Sakuragi to the other boys....well it's kind of maybe he values family because if his mother was not there he would have died of hunger.....did you see his expression when Ishihara revealed Sakuragi being a family killer.....it means maybe he somehow realized that if his mother did not feed him he would be dead. I think it has to do with his value towards his family.
francismeunierApr 26, 2010 9:05 PM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Apr 26, 2010 10:03 PM

Jun 2007
When you're trying to discuss what you perceive to be negatives and, at the same time, most others are trying to express why they love something, the reaction you get generally won't be an understanding one. I've received similar... aggression when complaining about Code Geass R2, and when I tried to express why Persona 3 annoyed me in lots of paragraphs. That's just the way it goes. There tends not to be much room for movement when there are five point gaps between people.

When I've read your comments in the past, you've struck me as being a guy that prefers expressing why you don't give points, instead of expressing why you do, and that's always going to lead to misunderstandings. Most people prefer discussing the positives.

I haven't read your previous episode comments 'cause I only caught up with the series shortly before posting in this thread, but I did read your short blog post. I recall finding it odd how you mentioned getting a gay vibe from the broing going on. I usually run away at the suggestion of homosexuality, yet it never once crossed my mind when I watched the first three episodes. Besides the the evil doctor, who clearly wants a piece of blue-eyes' arse, I saw zero sexual interest shown, and I can completely understand how in such hellish circumstances guys could bond so much over a short period of time. When you have nothing else but courage and friendship to work with, I'm more than willing to believe strong bonds of friendship can be forged.

As for the characters being two-dimensional, it's a bit too soon to make a comment like that... much like it's a bit too soon for me to be adding it to my top three anime. There's plenty of time for things to change, three episodes in.

Yes: there's an 'evil' villain viewers are supposed to hate with passion, and all of the main seven most likely have tragic backgrounds, but I fail to see how that makes the characters "two-dimensional". Even if the warden doesn't have anything pushing him on other than anger at not being able to bend someone to his will, it doesn't make him an unrealistic character - some people are just power crazy freaks. It wouldn't make him a better character if he was revealed to have been bullied as a child and, as an adult, feels the need to assert himself over others. And, with the setting being a Japan filled with starvation and desperation, it isn't exactly hard to believe that seven young guys could be thrown into jail for either doing nothing wrong and/or just trying to survive. Different times, different prison inmates.

Do you require every character to be 50/50 on the good/evil scale to view them as having depth? I'm cynical and view every human as being selfish by nature, but not even I'm going to claim that some people aren't better than others.

With regards to Baremoto's (is that his name? the whole 'Uncovered' business - his nickname making no sense to me - confused me...) attempts at disrupting the unity between Sakuragi and the others, I'll level with you on this point at least: I felt that was an attempt at speeding up the story. Four-eyes should've revealed what he did in the heat of the moment, rather than just believing an evil bastard, if that part was to be believable. BUT, it was clear before he did what he did that he was getting angry with the 'broship'; him not believing friendship to be anything other than fake and becoming increasingly annoyed by the other six being all buddy-buddy. Because of his beliefs that his own experiences had lead him to believe, he felt like he needed to prove that Sakuragi - whom everyone else believed in 100% - was just another fake, worthless guy.
AironicallyHumanApr 26, 2010 10:06 PM
Apr 26, 2010 10:39 PM

Aug 2008
I don't have a problem with people not understanding where I'm coming from in general. That always happens. What I don't like is being dismissed as a troll just because I disagree with someone. Especially when I have made a point of staying positive about the potential of the particular series. In the case of a currently airing show, it's crazy to think that my score can't/won't move as the episodes go by--up and down. You mention a 5 point difference, so I assume you have this rated at a '10.' I personally don't see why. For me, the show is not that much greater than the sum of its own parts. Also, I have a problem rating anything a 10 until the show is over, just as I have a problem rating a show a 1 if I didn't drop it in utter disgust. For all my other thoughts on scoring, just go here and here. I don't want to derail the discussion any further.

As for the bro-ish nature of the show, that is a complaint that has more to do with the direction than it does the characters. One of them chastised Mario for blindly believing in Sakuragi in this episode, and I get how closely people can bond in this situation. I don't take issue with that. I take issue with the fact that we see more of the guys crying and smiling over Sakuragi than we do getting an actual picture of the characters. It's very comparable to my feelings towards the girls in K-On sparkling over each other with moe-moe-kyuns instead of doing anything that had anything to do with the plot.

Is it soon to dismiss the characters as two-dimensional? Maybe. But I'm going off of what I see right now. As it stands, anytime something unjustifiable or crazy in the show happens, we get a flashback that is meant to explain everything. I don't personally like that approach. I'd rather see what's going on, and then feel for the character's reactions when that moment comes. That builds tension and makes for good drama. More often than not, the other approach winds up feeling melodramtic unless a certain amount of mystery is created around the character (Sakuragi for example) prior to the flashbacks.

Again, my problem with the 'villians' isn't just that they are crazy for no reason, we were given a general reason in the first episode--people just can't take the stress of a post-war Japan. But to have everything so exaggerated when the actions themselves are so disturbing makes them come off more as 2-bit cartoon villains than as real people. I'll compare Rainbow to Monster: the evils are much more subtle and eerie because the characters blend into society. It feels like that quiet man next door could be abusing the little child and you'd never know. And in all honesty, that character is not much more fleshed out than the woman here or the prison guard.

As I've said before, my problems with the show have to do with the direction and overall presentation as opposed to the content of the story. It feels very watered down so that it can attract a broader audience. I understand the need for Madhouse to want to do that, but it comes off as more insulting to me, given the subject matter.
Apr 26, 2010 11:51 PM

Apr 2008
Stubs said:
Bad things are happening to a bunch of characters I don't even like. This melodrama refuses to stop being cheesy. I'm tired of this damn bro thing. That gaurd seems like such a fake character in every way. Knowing this stupid anime he'll have some demented childhood too which should make us forgive him. I'm getting closer and closer to dropping this thing. 2/5

Me too .. theres no real plot just cheesy emphasis on how "terrible" their confinement is ..chances i drop this show = 90%
Apr 27, 2010 5:04 AM
Jun 2008
It took me read all this post more than i watch the 20minute Anime.....
Apr 27, 2010 5:28 AM

Jan 2009
Okay, I've been reading the little dispute on this page and want to throw in my 10 cents here and influence my stronger opinion on the discussion of this show and my views on the ranking system, what makes a good plot work.

noteDhero said:
You mention a 5 point difference, so I assume you have this rated at a '10.' I personally don't see why. For me, the show is not that much greater than the sum of its own parts. Also, I have a problem rating anything a 10 until the show is over, just as I have a problem rating a show a 1 if I didn't drop it in utter disgust.

I think that for someone to already decide the fact on if a show is good enough within the 3rd episode or extremely bad is plain ridiculous. The rating system serves as an outcome. No one will rate a movie in the middle of the first act just because the premise is promising. They continue forth to see how the film would treat that premise and satisy it. Even if the direction and treatment of it will be seen in the beginning of the show, you cant expect for the rest of it to strike one note throughout. Animes are similar in that sense to movies and all other forms of storytelling. We are still in the beginning process of this show, and even though I'm pretty sure we all know where this is going we can't assume it wont get better or worse.

Aironic said:
When you have nothing else but courage and friendship to work with, I'm more than willing to believe strong bonds of friendship can be forged.

This is great. It makes sense. The bond of these characters is the main part of this show. Too bad I feel like it's a bond built on fairy dust. Ever since the start of the show, we see these guys get their asses kicked in and a little support afterwards which starts this intense relationship. Are we supposed to believe this? Bonds tie over time not over a little brawl and some kinship. The given situation should call for this bond to be very unsteady given the distrust they all should have for each other, not just Baremoto. We see this relationship hit extremes to the point where Mario thinks he can sit on his ass and wait for Mr. typical male leader to save them. The communication between these guys are so superficial. They cant be real with each other, which bugs me. Baremoto being a rat just further proves how much this bond they haven't isn't some strong intense thing but rather a phony concept to get them through the day. As for the flashbacks, I complete agree with what noteDhero is saying and feel no need to express my thoughts there.

noteDhero said:
Again, my problem with the 'villians' isn't just that they are crazy for no reason, we were given a general reason in the first episode--people just can't take the stress of a post-war Japan. But to have everything so exaggerated when the actions themselves are so disturbing makes them come off more as 2-bit cartoon villains than as real people. I'll compare Rainbow to Monster: the evils are much more subtle and eerie because the characters blend into society. It feels like that quiet man next door could be abusing the little child and you'd never know. And in all honesty, that character is not much more fleshed out than the woman here or the prison guard.

Exactly. Good solid comparison. These villians are the fakest of the fake. We can't have that gaurd's appearance to even be normal in any sense. The animators give him the 'Disney' treatment. They feel the need to draw him in such a negative light because his mere existence isn't enough for us to get that this guy is evil. In Monster, Johan was a blond boy who looks like he could play the protagonist, but we feel the dark blood flowing through his veins. This Ishihara guy is just some cooky, wild eyed shawshank redemption rip off, playing wack-a-mole with the kids.

The main problem with this show is trust. Not between the characters but the shows ability to trust the audience. The writers and animators needs to trust that if it hands us a sincere and honest attempt at the gritty lifestyle that all these characters face and the flaws they present, we will accept it's terms and understand that they aren't anime world characters but real characters. You can argue that the situations these characters go through are real but that's not the case here. Sakuragi is the same character we all see in anime lead males. He's a strong self assured male, Jou is the passionate, sentimental boy, Maeda is the fearsome little runt not to be reckoned with, Mario is the loyal able bodied sidekick, etc. As we progress I can bet you that Mansuka will come off as the jolly green giant and Tadayoshi will be the jealous opposition to the leader. We needed real characters for this show to work, and we didn't get that. Instead we see typical characters, and I know all of you love seeing these characters. You've grown fond of their personalities. You are so used to seeing them in many of your shounen faavories but quite frankly, I'm tired of it.
StubsApr 27, 2010 5:38 AM

Apr 27, 2010 6:14 AM
Jun 2008
This can be said as a biography of Abe jougi....
I guess I watch too many Anime and forgot whats a reality is....
There is alot of thing I don't understand in this story,Or maybe it just because I've been living in a luxurious life?
When I read the biography of Abe,It seem that he has been through alot of trouble in the past..... Imho
Apr 27, 2010 1:07 PM

Apr 2009
Stubs said:
In Monster, Johan was a blond boy who looks like he could play the protagonist, but we feel the dark blood flowing through his veins. This Ishihara guy is just some cooky, wild eyed shawshank redemption rip off, playing wack-a-mole with the kids.

There's a reason we're all comparing Rainbow to Monster, they're similar in a lot of ways, and in my opinion Rainbow looks like it could be just as good if not better. Too early to say, though if the manga was translated I'd be able to.

It is funny though, because Monster also had lots of crazy over-the-top just plain evil characters like Ishihara. Johan is not one of them, but it has tons of crazy sadistic villains without any more depth than Ishihara has shown. And there's nothing wrong with that in my view. And I'm going to assume Ishihara won't be the main villain of the series. And hey, he's more like Kevin Bacon in Sleepers than any Shawshank character. :P

apatch3 said:
Me too .. there's no real plot just cheesy emphasis on how "terrible" their confinement is ..chances i drop this show = 90%

No idea what point you're going for putting terrible in quotation marks. I'd say it's pretty clear cut terrible, no quotations necessary. And keep in mind, right from the get go we know their confinement is not the main focus of the show, and I'm very intrigued to see where the show goes after they're out.

As for the rating issue, I currently have Rainbow with a 9 rating, I'll adjust it accordingly depending on how I feel the series goes. I'm really into it, can't wait to see where it goes.
Apr 27, 2010 6:33 PM

Sep 2009
Stubs said:

Go die.
Apr 27, 2010 7:20 PM

Jan 2009
brokenrose said:
Stubs said:

Go die.

I love you too broken.

Apr 27, 2010 8:31 PM

Feb 2008
Wow, I'm glad that I'm not the only one not buying the shit they're trying to sell us. I really thought this thing was going to be great after watching the first episode but these last two episodes have just completely failed to evoke anything other than "meh" from me. Ok, that's not true, I hoped Joe would be able to reunite with his sister but instead she decided to basically disown him and accept being raped for years since that was the only option? Yeah, that's bloody rational. Anyway...

We've got 7 unlikable "protagonists", a Kaiji-esque villain, who as Stubs described is simply cartoonish in his lack of depth and a situation that's completely hopeless. Am I supposed to feel something? Is it too much to ask for a protagonist to root for? That way, the evil dude might actually feel evil and not just like a paper thin excuse to display physical abuse in a failed attempt at showing how horrible that time period was. It doesn't need to be 1955 for there to be an abusive prison guard. This is especially ridiculous due to the little message at the beginning of the show; It's pretending to be deep when it just isn't.

Then there is the plot, or lack there of. We can already guess or we already know 3 out of the 7 back-stories and it's only episode 3. What's going to happen when we've heard all 7, which should happen in about 5 episodes? We're going to follow the lives of these unlikable stereotypical characters as the synopsis seems to suggest? Yeah... great...

I'll keep watching for a while but I seriously doubt it's going to get any better or that we're going to get a real protagonist. Sakuragi was the best candidate but since we all know he's going to be saving everybody in the next episode he's out of the picture.

If I had to describe Rainbow with a single word at this point, it'd be disjointed.
Apr 27, 2010 9:36 PM

Jun 2007
kuroshiroi said:
Ok, that's not true, I hoped Joe would be able to reunite with his sister but instead she decided to basically disown him and accept being raped for years since that was the only option? Yeah, that's bloody rational.

Good God, there are too many women watching an anime aimed at men. That's the only logical explanation I can come up with for all this bitching. I think I'm finally starting to get how the demented Code Geass R2 fanatics felt when I complained about everything....

The part you're referring to is actually my favourite part of Rainbow to date. In an ideal, imaginary world, Joe would've stormed his old orphanage, rescued his sister and *somehow* survived with her on the streets; without any money or anything good going for them. But, in Rainbow's depressing depiction of 1955 Japan, he walked straight into a trap and his sister, with a far more mature head on her shoulders, destroyed her brother's resolve and accepted her fate, instead of letting him get himself killed out of anger at his inability to save her.

No, it isn't a 'good' ending when a young girl basically goes along with living with a man who will rape her every other night, but what other options did she have - would it have been more "rational" for her to starve to death on the streets, or watch her brother die out of love for her? She'd been sold to the rapist-person, which means that even if she had escaped he'd have had the rights to her - legally - until she became an adult.

I have to ask this: did all the people who are expressing their annoyance at the "lack of depth" displayed by the warden in Rainbow also rate The Shawshank Redemption low because of one of the villains in one of the greatest movies of all time not having been shown getting beaten as a child, or needing an explanation as to just why he enjoyed beating the inmates to death? Serious question. Some people really like having a good old fashioned moan about nothing in an attempt to standout from the coward; to look 'different'...

The best part is, with Rainbow being a seemingly quite lengthy series, the warden probably will get the development people are crying about not seeing at a later date. I fail to see how him having a tragic background will make him into a better character, much like I don't see how Light from Death Note crying a lot as a child about life would've improved him as a character - him only ever being a realistically selfish cunt, much like the warden appears at this stage to be a realistically hateful/power crazed cunt - but whatever.

Also, I don't quite comprehend how the opening information about the disturbing nature of the content could be perceived as an attempt at making Rainbow appear to be deeper than it actually is? There are violent beatings and rods shoved up anuses, and what Madhouse put at the start of every episode is no more than an attempt at justifying what's shown; telling the viewers that it doesn't have violence for the sake of it.

And this "lack of plot" argument just takes the cake (... AND EATS IT), it really does. What, exactly, are you expecting from a bloody prison drama? It's obviously going to be very character-focused, and going through each of the main characters at the start is the best way to get the viewers to care about them. Next you'll be telling me/the world that GTO is bad because, rather than the focus on being on story progression, the focus was on character arcs; arcs that fleshed out each of the main cast members significantly.

One minute a guy is bitching about there not being enough flashbackery, the next someone else is complaining about not caring about the back-stories. Then, of course, there's also bitching about everyone being two-dimensional. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

...Anyway. I usually don't 10/10 even titles I complete, let alone those that I've only watched three episodes of. But, in this case, I felt the need to express how much I've got out of Rainbow early on; also adding it to my top anime on a temporary basis to highlight this further. I alter my ratings as I progress, so it's more than possible for my rating to lower with time, but right now I really do see it as a 'FAVOURITE ANIME EVANGELION!!!1!!' contender... and that's why it's irksome for me to see so many unhappy campers. I expected an ever-so-slightly homosexual lovefest to be taking place in these episode discussion topics, yet all I seem to be seeing is '5/10 - must do better next week.'

(I'm too lazy to type anything else atm. For now, I'll just say that the only character I dislike is 'Uncovered', and that it's a little annoying that the '6/7' opening seems to suggest that Sakuragi won't be playing the long game.)
Apr 27, 2010 11:48 PM

Aug 2008
So now the fault of the show being a mess is that women just don't get it? I'll side-step the whole gender issue, and get to the point: A good show is good no matter what. You're talking about the show appealing to a demographic which is the main reason for my distaste of what's gone on in episodes 2 and 3. This is an adult story, yet this strange need for a hyper-masculine sense of brotherhood that belongs in my frathouse porn as opposed to a period drama brings the whole tone to a different direction more befitting Naruto (where the Sasuke/Naruto stuff is too thick, even there). That you look past much of the content of the complaints, and first say, "too many women watching" is quite absurd.

On your point about the warden, I've already said in either this thread or another that he'll more than likely get a backstory, and judging off of his little exchange with Sakuragi, there is clearly some kind of weird history there. Whether or not the story is good enough to rise above his one-dimensional depiction thus far is beyond me. It doesn't change the fact that I don't like it. As I (and others) have said before, though, I hope it gets better.

I'll tackle your comparison to Light though.

The guard, in comparison is much more human. That (some would say) is a fault, but I think it's a positive. By nature, he isn't categorically evil in the way that Light is, and has more room to be explored. He's scared shitless when Sakuragi stares at him with such defiant eyes. In this episode, he was even afraid of just having a conversation with him. On top of that, whether or not he's the antagonist (and I'm positive that does color things in a different direction), he's mostly just beating up on thieves and criminals when they do something wrong. Now, in this episode he goes too far, but honestly, I didn't really have a problem with the majority of his actions in the first two episodes. So what is the problem, then? As others have stated, it's the way he is depicted. It's always with the extreme closeups, and he's always sneering, and even the voice actor just stays on the same level of anger. It's all just one note, as opposed to there being some semblance of subtext in the way there was with Sakuragi beating up on the 6 in the first episode.

Taking each character episode by episode isn't necessarily the best way. It's the most overused (easiest) way. I'm of the idea that the fewer the flashbacks the better. The more that exposition can be incorporated in an organic way (dialogue being the best), the more natural it feels. The more natural it feels, the quicker I get engaged in the characters stories, and see them as real people. There's no reason why we can't see each of the character's stories unfold in a series of conversations that they have as the days go by. But that's not what happens. Instead, during the real time line of the show, all we see is a few of the 5 boys (namely Mario) climax just saying Sakuragi's name alone, contrived set-up, contrived resolution, and some tears sprinkled here and there. Maybe it's me, but that's not so realistic. I wish they'd hammer in a lot of the boredom/downtime that they have, because it will give the characters more room to be themselves, as opposed to only reacting to some event.

Anyway, I think I've said what I can every way possible now.
noteDheroApr 27, 2010 11:51 PM
Apr 28, 2010 12:01 AM

Jan 2009
Aironic said:
kuroshiroi said:
Ok, that's not true, I hoped Joe would be able to reunite with his sister but instead she decided to basically disown him and accept being raped for years since that was the only option? Yeah, that's bloody rational.

Good God, there are too many women watching an anime aimed at men. That's the only logical explanation I can come up with for all this bitching. I think I'm finally starting to get how the demented Code Geass R2 fanatics felt when I complained about everything....

He's a dude. I'm a dude. You're a dude. We're all dudes. I think you should pay attention to what we have to say, rather than pointing people out for what you think is their sex. I hope that registers at least.

Aironic said:
The part you're referring to is actually my favourite part of Rainbow to date. In an ideal, imaginary world, Joe would've stormed his old orphanage, rescued his sister and *somehow* survived with her on the streets; without any money or anything good going for them. But, in Rainbow's depressing depiction of 1955 Japan, he walked straight into a trap and his sister, with a far more mature head on her shoulders, destroyed her brother's resolve and accepted her fate, instead of letting him get himself killed out of anger at his inability to save her.

Okay, fine. It's real life. We accept that life's a bitch and to some that's entertaining, but when people usually give the facts of something like this, we're usually supposed to be reminded that we should do something to prevent this from happening. If that's not the case and it's not since he's as much in a stale mate as ever and no one could ever do him good at this point or prevent the inevitable, I dont see what the point is. Is it there so we feel sorry for him and make ourselves feel better? Whatever, just ask me this. Jou clearly referenced that ridiculously ugly orphan owner to hopping on the good foot and doing the bad thing with him. That ugly woman was obviously in a bind and Jou had the chance for serious redemption. Tell me, why did they decide not to say anything when that clearly would've bettered the situation?

Apr 28, 2010 2:27 AM
Jun 2008
kuroshiroi said:
That way, the evil dude might actually feel evil and not just like a paper thin excuse to display physical abuse in a failed attempt at showing how horrible that time period was. It doesn't need to be 1955 for there to be an abusive prison guard.
Actually i think the guard has a very good reason to be evil....(hope you can see the tiny words....)

Since the situation is almost like in a prison.Sometimes the guard may feel "jealous" in some way.The feeling of guarding or taking care a human is a very painful and stressful job.( My job is somewhat similar... sigh..).Example: When Joe escape from the cell,The guard have to go all over the town to search for him.If i am the guard,I will split blood or just quit this kind of baby sitting job!!!!
Apr 28, 2010 6:44 AM

Dec 2009
Wow ... the characters sure had fuc*ed up pasts , i cant wait till we find out about Sakuragi's .
Apr 28, 2010 11:49 AM

Sep 2009
MorningGlory said:
( My job is somewhat similar... sigh..)

I'm going to take a blind stab in the dark and say you're a teacher?

Either way, it's still not a legitimate reason.
Apr 29, 2010 3:32 PM

Feb 2008
Aironic said:
Yeah, I'm not a woman but thanks for trying to explain away somebody's complaints by their gender, that's always helpful.

Aironic said:

No, it isn't a 'good' ending when a young girl basically goes along with living with a man who will rape her every other night, but what other options did she have - would it have been more "rational" for her to starve to death on the streets, or watch her brother die out of love for her? She'd been sold to the rapist-person, which means that even if she had escaped he'd have had the rights to her - legally - until she became an adult.
There were two police officers at the scene, who were clearly interested in hearing what had happened between Jou and the old woman. You're saying they wouldn't have listened to the girl or her complaints? Did Japan not have a child welfare office or something analogous to that in 1955? Crime went unpunished?
Other options for her: Kill herself, kill the dude, kill the woman, do something, other than just take it. That's about the least rational option she could have chosen, imao. On the other hand, I'm not a 12 year old girl in 1950s Japan so I can't really relate though. I wish I was a woman, then I might be able to relate a little better.

My main problem with the entire scene was that the only purpose for it was for additional drama but it just didn't work at this point in time. We clearly don't care about these people after having just watched 1.5 episodes and they dump this on us? We barely even know Jou's name... Why did they skip the entire first month the guys spent in prison? What did they discuss during this one month? Why are they calling each other by their nick names? There is definitely a story here, it just feels like they're skipping over it and expecting us to gobble up any drama and suspense they throw at us.

noteDhero has answered your complaints about the guard. His depiction is one-dimensional. Shawshank's guard had the luxury of a great actor and excellent directing, two things I can't say for Rainbow's. Then there's the fact that he's "made" to look unnecessarily evil. What's wrong with just making him look normal and behave evil? All of this coupled together means he comes across as farcical. It's simply too much.

Aironic said:
And this "lack of plot" argument just takes the cake (... AND EATS IT), it really does. What, exactly, are you expecting from a bloody prison drama? It's obviously going to be very character-focused, and going through each of the main characters at the start is the best way to get the viewers to care about them. Next you'll be telling me/the world that GTO is bad because, rather than the focus on being on story progression, the focus was on character arcs; arcs that fleshed out each of the main cast members significantly.
Character-focused? All we've seen so far is flashbacks. There has not been one decent conversation between the characters. I do believe a character driven story needs to have some character interaction, don't you think? Make us care for the characters, then show their backstory. Rainbow is doing this ass-backwards and I'm just not buying it.
Apr 29, 2010 5:02 PM

Apr 2009
Of course, it's all personal taste. A lot of the things those who aren't liking it are listing as complaints are things that I like. It's a kind of style.

I know I keep comparing it to Monster, but again, this worked in Monster and it works here for me. They both have the dark feel, the crazy eyed evil characters, some of which aren't thoroughly explored, which is not a bad thing to me.

In a show like this with lots of incidental characters along the way, they're not going to explore them all or give backstory which would help explain their actions. And I like that, because in life somebody you meet once may do something bad to you, and you're not going to know why they are the way they are.

It just happens. It might seem shallow, but to me saying that "2D" evil characters shouldn't be used is just a matter of personal taste, to me it still works well. Again, considering the length of the manga and its style, I'm going to guess that we'll see some very well developed, less over-the-top villains at some point, so there'll be something for everyone.

A reason why I bring this up is since Monster is considered a classic, I guess it just helps illustrate the merits I'm seeing in this show. Because with only 3 episodes seen so far it's tough to dissect every aspect of Rainbow like this. I'll say, I'm completely gripped by it, and I'm very impressed, loving it.
Psycho_SanjiApr 29, 2010 5:06 PM
May 3, 2010 2:25 PM

Jul 2009
I wish Ishihara and the perverted old hag die in the end...
May 5, 2010 1:03 PM

May 2008
Sakuragi is like...super awesome. I think he's becoming my favorite.

And Ishihara needs to like..go die. God he makes me sick.

Why is this anime just made of awesomeness?

May 8, 2010 1:40 AM

Apr 2008
@Psycho Kenshin

Seriously, 9/10? For something as cheesy as rainbow, every single character reeks of unoriginality and there's absolutely nothing to be intrigued about the only thing good about this show was its first ep afterward it felt like it was just repeating the same things over and over again with slightly different circumstances. "O look I've escaped how wonderful" .. "O no wait they've caught me again"... " O no theres a fire we're all going to die" ..."O no my poor sister lives outside these walls". It sounds like its just been made by somebody who sympathizes with whining whores and anyone who buys into this must also sympathize with the pathetic (and typical) main characters. This is really a very substandard show .. doesn't deserve more than 6/10 imo. As far as my use of quotation marks goes I used them because they're not the only people who've ever been put into a workhouse lots of other people reside in that very building but alas they're all just generic extras, and frankly with such 2 dimensional main characters I find myself caring more for those blank faced extras lol
May 10, 2010 5:29 PM

Jan 2009
Psycho_Kenshin said:
Of course, it's all personal taste. A lot of the things those who aren't liking it are listing as complaints are things that I like. It's a kind of style.

I know I keep comparing it to Monster, but again, this worked in Monster and it works here for me. They both have the dark feel, the crazy eyed evil characters, some of which aren't thoroughly explored, which is not a bad thing to me.

In a show like this with lots of incidental characters along the way, they're not going to explore them all or give backstory which would help explain their actions. And I like that, because in life somebody you meet once may do something bad to you, and you're not going to know why they are the way they are.

It just happens. It might seem shallow, but to me saying that "2D" evil characters shouldn't be used is just a matter of personal taste, to me it still works well. Again, considering the length of the manga and its style, I'm going to guess that we'll see some very well developed, less over-the-top villains at some point, so there'll be something for everyone.

A reason why I bring this up is since Monster is considered a classic, I guess it just helps illustrate the merits I'm seeing in this show. Because with only 3 episodes seen so far it's tough to dissect every aspect of Rainbow like this. I'll say, I'm completely gripped by it, and I'm very impressed, loving it.

This anime doesnt even begin to scrape the heights which monster achieved.

May 31, 2010 11:24 PM
Sep 2009
Man, I fucking hate Ishihara...
Jun 1, 2010 6:27 AM

Sep 2009
ChaosMaster8 said:
Man, I fucking hate Ishihara...

agreed he is such a Freaking asshole alsoo that freaking old hag from episode 2 should just die
i felt so bad for joes sister :(

Jun 27, 2010 8:17 PM

Mar 2010
epic episode go Bro

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Jul 21, 2010 10:15 PM

Feb 2010
stAtic91 said:
Sakuragi is such a bro!

^^
Jul 28, 2010 2:37 PM

Dec 2008
That four-eyed asshole is the real dumbass!! I'm so mad at him that I don't know what to do with myself!!

Does Inspector Ishihara want to fuck Bro, or something? Damn, he's had it in for Bro since day 1!!!
Aug 12, 2010 2:26 AM
Feb 2009
jee every1 seems to be holding some kind of background that is very hard to just swallow.
Sep 3, 2010 1:01 PM

Mar 2010
I want to beat the hell out of that inspector..
Sakuragi killing his parents doesn't really surprise me, or bothers me..I guess i can forgive him everything..

Still, another great episode..I love that even if it has been only 3 eps the story has developed so much.Each time I see an episode, when it ends i feel like i have seen 3..They are so "full", if you understand me..

P.S.Has anyone noticed that the cicadas sound exactly like Higurashi??
Jan 3, 2011 8:19 PM

Dec 2010
myth720 said:
I just love this anime.. it's so terrible, in a good way. Maybe it's a little censored compared to how horrific it would really be, but they still don't soften it completely and it makes me feel for these characters, even tho they are criminals.
sorry to ask a random question but in your comment it has a list of what your watching and a photo on the side. Do you know what anime that photo is from i dont think i've seen it.
- Marissa Chan!
May 21, 2011 10:20 AM
Jun 2010
man this is so gooooooodd!!!!
Oct 12, 2011 8:52 AM
Jun 2008
Great stuff!
Jan 26, 2012 1:41 PM

May 2011
I will never become a man like Ishihara.

An-Chan... that's how you win trust, go for it. Make it out alive.

Uncovered better realize the truth now.
Jun 2, 2012 10:12 PM

Nov 2011
Jun 4, 2012 5:40 AM

Jan 2012
Damn, this show is legit. Can't wait til school is over, so I can watch more. Think I'm already falling in love with this show B)
Lemme smang it girl.
Jul 8, 2012 6:23 AM

Mar 2010
aniki!
Nov 14, 2012 11:46 PM

Apr 2012
Someone needs to kill off that buddy fucker Nomoto. Its not everyday a series brings such a hate-able character. I've lived with people like that, and people like that are just the worst sort of people. I'll be amazed if this series can turn that character around for me.
Feb 28, 2013 6:34 PM

Sep 2011
I had a feeling Uncovered would be the least likable character from the group, and I was right.
Apr 3, 2013 10:14 AM
Aug 2011
Damn this show is heavy-handed that it's a little bit difficult to marathon.

Ishihada is insufferable and now I hate Scam.
Jun 6, 2013 2:27 PM

Nov 2010
parfaited said:
Damn this show is heavy-handed that it's a little bit difficult to marathon.
Jun 28, 2013 4:38 PM

Jan 2013
Another good episode. So much has happened in 3 episode. Wonder where it will go in the next 23 episodes.
Jun 30, 2013 6:19 AM

Jul 2011
I'm loving this anime... each episode is adding nicely.
Aug 6, 2013 3:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow Baremoto (or Uncovered??? sounds weird in English) is quite annoying. I guess it makes sense that he doesn't trust anyone after what he experienced, but it's not like he's the only one who's gone through a life where others take advantage of them or something. I guess the difference between him and the others is that he had given up on trusting anyone, whereas the others still see some good in the world, like Sakuragi. But maybe he'll change his views after seeing Sakuragi try to save his friends, despite getting nothing out of it and possibly dying by doing so. Someone has to show him that although it's a cruel world, there are some that you can trust.
Oct 23, 2013 10:35 PM

Sep 2013
One cig to burn us all. (In tune with psycho-pass's OP)

"Because I still see them as my friends."

Now that's a cliffhanger.
Jan 20, 2014 12:30 PM

May 2013
Fuck that faggot Baremoto -_-
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Jan 24, 2014 2:04 PM

Mar 2012
Well dam, Bro really deserves his nickname and Uncovered is a piece of shit. Good episode.
Apr 9, 2014 1:08 PM

Jun 2011
"That might be so, but, I still see them as my friends."
Mad respect for Sakuragi ("An-chan").

Gotta feel bad for Uncovered, damn these sex and rapes, we had student raped in the first episode from the flashback, sister was sold to a pedo old man in the second episode and brother was served as a sex toy for some old hag, and now, mother had to sell off her body for some food. Ugh their lives are so depressing.

Edit: That Ishihara, damn, his thick lips are fugly, I hope not to see him anymore, please tell me he won't be appearing all the time in the series, because that would suck.
ToG25thBaamApr 9, 2014 1:11 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LegendFury - Jun 29, 2010

66 by phantom346 »»
May 20, 5:22 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shanimebib - Jun 22, 2010

183 by phantom346 »»
May 20, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

hikky - Jun 15, 2010

128 by phantom346 »»
Apr 28, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 8, 2010

73 by phantom346 »»
Apr 28, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - May 25, 2010

104 by phantom346 »»
Apr 27, 11:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.