Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 23, 2008 7:14 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was wonderfull! I was either laugh, crying or both at the same time.
Apr 18, 2009 2:20 PM

Mar 2009
Absolutely Perfect Movie! The characters are beloved, the animation is gorgeous, and it'll make you laugh and cry the whole time. Highly recommended to anyone, Anime fan or not. I already ordered a copy off Amazon!! Urahara Out!!
May 21, 2009 3:39 AM

Apr 2008
Pretty damn good, well worth the $5 rental fee!
Kinda wish they showed a bit more about what happens to the protaganists at the end~
Jul 22, 2009 6:27 AM

Jan 2008
TwilightRhapsody said:
Kinda wish they showed a bit more about what happens to the protaganists at the end~
Yeah, was kinda wanting that too.
Was a fantastic movie, love the twists, humour, drama and everything else the movie threw at us.
Aug 8, 2009 9:27 PM

May 2009
aero said:
TwilightRhapsody said:
Yeah, was kinda wanting that too.
Was a fantastic movie, love the twists, humour, drama and everything else the movie threw at us.

Me too <3
Aug 18, 2009 1:16 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
that was amazing! i don't think i've laughed that much in an anime movie ever! the music at the ending was so good i started to move my arms back and forth to the beat then LOL so did the buildings!! That was awesome! like i was in sync with the movie!
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 24, 2009 10:15 PM
Apr 2008
It was overall a very nice movie. For some reason, I always find satirical irony to be funny, and this was chock full of it. Almost every scene had some sort of irony or coincidence that added onto the plot, which was written magnificently. Overall, 8/10 as it was a nice movie with good morals.
Dec 19, 2009 4:28 PM

May 2008
Great film, had me bursting out laughing numerous times with some random scenes.
May 1, 2010 10:05 AM

Jun 2009
The movie was good, not as great as I've heard imo. The ending was horrible, and not one of the characters connected with me. 7/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 27, 2010 6:45 PM

Apr 2008
This movie has become one of my favorites. The ending was fitting, though I would have like Miyuki to at least hug his father. The dancing buildings was just random.
9-10/10
Jan 4, 2011 10:02 AM

Sep 2008
A near-perfect masterpiece. I imagine it wouldnt appeal to people who like to be duped into thinking that their anime is deep and complex, but the simple story, theme and execution here was just amazing. One of the best holiday-themed movies I've seen yet, and of the three Satoshi kon movies I've seen (perfect blue, millennium actress and this) this is the only one I really loved

9/10
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 7, 2011 3:47 PM

Aug 2010
Good laugh, great animation, great voice acting! I'd recommend this to anybody if they wanted a recommendation right away!

10/10
Jun 10, 2011 10:52 AM
Jan 2010
TwilightRhapsody said:

Yeah, but it was good that this movie avoided the "all's well" end. It's way too overused in anime.
Jun 26, 2011 6:38 PM

Dec 2009
I loved this movie! :D I laughed a lot with some random scenes and the buildings dancing at the end were hilarious.
9/10
May 29, 2012 12:31 PM

Jun 2008
Meh, barely had any enjoyment from this movie. It's the common, forgettable, unrealistic and wannabe-deep "artistic piece of animation". Moreover, the characters are neither likeable or remarkable, the CG is awful, and the dancing buildings at the end were embarassing. What was that, an attempt at being cute or just a random act of stupidity?
Twists? Were you having allucinations, I wonder?
Humour? I didn't laugh once.
Drama? Sappy and forced.
But apparently, those cheesy, happy-ending stories are exacly what people adore so much, hence the 8.30 score.

momokuu said:
Yeah, but it was good that this movie avoided the "all's well" end. It's way too overused in anime.
Yeah, everything ends well, but this movie avoided a happy ending. I had a good laugh at your lack of coherency, thanks.

you're so cute when you're frustrated, dear
Jun 16, 2012 12:24 PM

Nov 2010
RenaPsychoKiller said:

momokuu said:
Yeah, everything ends well, but this movie avoided a happy ending. I had a good laugh at your lack of coherency, thanks.

But it doesn't. They're still homeless, Hana is still sick, Gin could make up with his daughter, or he could continue to be homeless and lose connection (which happens a lot IRL. Things don't change over night, and his guilt might still prevent him from going back). The lotto tickets are still undetected, who's to say he won't throw away the pouch? The old man only said to get rid of that because people would hurt him if they knew who he was (he'd be mugged and such), so maybe Gin will never look in the pouch, out of courtesy or even fear of what it is, and throw it away (Or heck, even out of not caring). As for Miyuki, she saw her father in the end yes, but she could have bolted out of the room in fear of confrontation. But in reality, she is the only one of the main 3 that would probably have a happy ending. But 1/3 isn't "all's well". That's what is great about the ending. If you WANT to believe everything is magically better, that's your prerogative. But, realistically, everyone (most likely minus Miyuki) will continue being homeless. Continue being sick. And continue being a drunkard. That's life.

And guuuuuurrl, please. This movie was hilarious. First movie in a long time that made me laugh out loud while watching it alone.

Personally, this is my favorite Satoshi Kon film, followed by Paprika. This one was just such a joy to watch!
Aug 5, 2012 10:25 AM

Jul 2012
I liked it C=
But is not good like a 10 owO

I loved the laugh moments with the tragic history ='D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2012 3:53 PM
Aug 2012
Great movie, heart warming and fun. Just needed more closure at the end for me.
Nov 14, 2012 10:53 PM
Mar 2011
I thought it was an excellent movie with great art as well as the characters being very likable. As others put it, im definitely going to recommend it to others whether they like anime or not!
Dec 25, 2012 1:41 PM

Nov 2010
It was a good movie, would have loved to see what happened to them after. It would have been a good touch.
Jan 19, 2013 11:15 AM

Jul 2011
Quirky. But very lovely.

I loved every coincidence!!

So it's possible they might have a really happy ending.
Miyuki back with her father/family
Gin back with his family
Claim the money for the lottery = rich
Hana and the taxi driver (though I think he was married, and I don't know how it'll work out)

I love the open ending. Lots of possibilities.
Feb 17, 2013 11:54 AM

May 2012
That was a masterpiece.. funny and dramatic at the same time.. i really like the crazy string of events... really love it! And Hana is awesome.. love his character.
Jun 15, 2013 1:23 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty good movie, satirical, elegant, and pretty well done...nothing over the top or under designed. 8/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 28, 2013 2:12 AM
Jul 2018

I love the movie! Kiyoko must truly be an angel! XD
It was so nice how it has twists.
9/10
Aug 13, 2013 2:50 PM
Aug 2011
That was amazing and highly amusing.
I loved how everything strung along and fit together as the movie kept going.

Usually coincidental events in anime bug me more often than not but that was basically the point here and it was done wonderfully.
Sep 13, 2013 12:39 AM
Jan 2009
I have a stupid question - wasn't the Kiyoko at the wedding Gin's daughter? Why didn't she recognize him and why did Ohta (the fat man who drove them there) call Kiyoko his daughter?
Nov 28, 2013 1:45 AM

Jun 2012
I wish we could've seen what happens to the characters afterwards but still a good movie :)
君と僕の間によこたわる空
Dec 7, 2013 8:16 PM

Jan 2011
8/10
Dec 14, 2013 3:05 PM

Mar 2013
that was a perfect ending to a great movie
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Dec 24, 2013 5:38 AM
Jul 2018
Great movie! Possibly one of my favorites from Satoshi Kons works :D
Dec 25, 2013 7:40 PM
Jul 2012
Heh, pretty nice movie!

One thing I have to wonder is why first of all, the subbers don't type in what does the black lady who kidnapped the girl and suddenly taking care of her? That's really lazy.

Kind of understand on the whole issue of when the man first talking to the woman who almost commit suicide at the end. Actually liked the scene when MJ look alike save the baby by risking all of her life just to save the baby.

The comedy was kind of a miss because I haven't been really noticed anything funny except the taxi man,the beard man gets drunk in moments, and first second of that fight against some dude who missed his first guy against the beard man. Maybe it's that some scenes are more serious than lighthearted in most scenes.

Overall, I liked this movie very much!
8/10
Mar 5, 2014 8:39 AM

Jul 2012
such a fun movie. great comedy and awesome pacing. only few things i would have to pick on is the animation (specifically character design! i couldn't distinguish the side characters ugh) and the main characters were not that likable: a trap, an old geezer who's more like a supporting character, and a typical anime main girl. lol

idk if i'll keep this movie in my hdd or not... i don't think i'd rewatch it unless it's for christmas haha

yeah a solid 8/10 but didn't love it
Apr 14, 2014 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
simple and sweet. i wish the ending were a little more conclusive.
u gay
May 19, 2014 11:52 PM

Jan 2014
So simply made, yet masterful! Loved it! ^____^
All of these single life stories were touching... ;_ ;
The characters were all so funny and lovable ~~
Plus a happy ending <3 Yippee ! ;) Amazing! n_n
Jun 20, 2014 9:04 AM

Dec 2012
Really good movie. The last bit with the truck chasing scene was really insane.

I really like it, but didn't love it, and I don't think I will re-watch it in the future. 8/10
Jul 6, 2014 12:07 PM

Jan 2014
Heard a lot of good things about this movie, but it wasn't really that amazing. Sure there are moments where you either laugh or feel sad, but that ending sure didn't deliver.

8/10
Recommend me an anime
Jul 16, 2014 11:15 PM

Sep 2013
This would have been really nice to watch during December lol... I definitely enjoyed watching this more than I thought I would. Props to the Spanish portion, I actually understood it. 6/10
Aug 4, 2014 11:05 PM

Jan 2014
Touching story, though the ending should have been better. 8/10
Aug 15, 2014 9:22 PM

Jun 2014
Almost cried when Miyuki's father recognized her on the phone and she hung up.
Dec 20, 2014 10:00 AM

Dec 2010
A nice Christmas movie right there, I wasn't disappoint. The vibe was on point as well. I somewhat like the avoided ending, because if they have gone all the way it wouldn't really be something much happier than what we got. Hana would eventually die sick, and in worst case scenario - alone at that. Best case scenario they could get a shelter with Gin's daugher for some time, without being much of a burden of course. That's if Gin doesn't remain a drunkard. And Miyuki would probably return to her family which isn't bad. The reality would probably turn out somewhere in the middle anyway.

A 7/10 for me.
Dec 23, 2014 3:50 AM

Aug 2014
I was planning to watch this on Christmas or New Year's Eve, but I couldn't wait any longer. Definitely got myself immersed in the setting anyway, lol.

Some favorite bits in the movie (no particular order):
-Hana's haiku & his Weeping Red Devil analogy
-Gin unlocking that one door LMFAO!!!
-Miyuki's random awkward staring with the strong sniffs/snorts thereafter (I just find those funny for some reason)
-The baby's first words
-Miyuki's reactions towards the Latino man & his wife speaking Spanish.
-The food server lady seeing Hana with the baby.
Dec 24, 2014 4:49 PM

Nov 2012
Great Christmas movie 8/10,glad I waited till today to watch it. (Tbh not sure how much I would have liked this movie if I were to watch this outside of the Christmas season)

Only thing I somewhat dislike was the abrupt ending,wanted more closure between Miyuki & her dad.
Dec 24, 2014 9:42 PM
Jul 2013
It was Christmas Eve today and I didn't know what to do. Then I remembered that I had this movie and it was just the right time too. Now I just finished watching it.

I found it to be perfect. I've been so engaged with all of these 3 characters and sympathized with each and every one of them. Their backstories were quite heartbreaking when the film showed for each of the main 3. My favorite has to be Miyuki because I have a bias as she is truly best girl. They only visually show Miyuki's backstorie while we listen to the other 2 explain theirs so that might be one reason why I like her.

I'll be honest, her confrontation with the lady at the end almost made me tear up. It was so cathartic, I think I would've cried if my parents weren't at home already, haha.

As for comedy. I laughed at every comedic situation, man they hit their marks every time.

Madhouse and Satoshi Kon needs to be given a lot of credit for directing and animating the character's faces. Man, my facial expression sometimes mimicked theirs during some situations. Like the way the ambulance or truck crashed into the store made me jaw drop and the main protagonists as well.

There were lots of coincidences but fuck it, it's god telling the 3 homeless people that they need to continue their quest. God doesn't want them to fail because Kiyoko - the baby, truly is a messenger from god. Also, that final scene though. I think god literally just changed the physics around Hana and Kiyoko as they were falling. Damn, that's one deus ex machina I can stand behind. The very idea of a baby dying from gravity fucking terrified me during that entire rooftop scene.

Thanks, god, you're not an asshole. Or should I say Satoshi Kon and Co-writer(s) of screenplay.

So after some thinking I just realized the beginning, when they found the baby, consisted of dialogue saying they can't take care of it due to being homeless. Now that they're at the end, they're quite rich I think 20 mil yen from the lottery ticket so that fixes up their financial troubles. The original parents also want them to be godfathers so it's like a fucking win-win. The main protagonists fucking win, yes!

I also agree with the poster above that I wished they delved more with the Miyuki and father scenario. However, I guess it could be implied that they made up at the end. If they explored it more then it would break up the pacing due to that climax at the end.

This movie really lifted my spirits up and just in an easy swoop, a little exposure to facebook made me a bit sad. However I'm quite happy with the experience that this movie gave me, with all the drama and comedy I think I'm going to watch this every year. It's not a daunting task like the Toradora Christmas re-watch, I had to worry about group projects and finals at the time so I couldn't participate this year which sucked. :/

This movie brought back every happy thing for all the 3 main protagonists and I'm very fucking happy. God can be sometimes cruel and ourselves as well, it's really nice to see those who've suffered to get some happiness.

I'm also really happy that they have that winning lottery ticket at the end! Woo hoo! ^_^
bluetophatsDec 24, 2014 9:45 PM
Dec 25, 2014 12:31 AM

Feb 2013
Heart warming with lots of memorable moments. We had an special emphasis on the atmosphere and the characters emotions. The music is fantastic as well. I must thank mayukachan now for the recommendation.

Feb 3, 2015 12:25 AM

Nov 2013
greatness
Feb 13, 2015 6:49 AM

Oct 2013
What a great, warm movie. Loved everything about it. ^^
May 5, 2015 3:46 PM

Jan 2011
A masterclass from Satoshi Kon. It was not like his other movies, but I very much liked the realistic vibe of the whole anime. The story was not that original but it was so heart-warming with these very positive characters. The Christmas miracle at the end was the best way to conclude the movie. I regret not watching it on Christmas. One of my favourite works of the genious that is Satoshi Kon.
May 23, 2015 12:31 PM

Aug 2014
Amazing. I think the strongest department were the characters 9/10.
May 30, 2015 8:30 PM

Nov 2014
This is great. I wish I saw it earlier.

Sep 8, 2015 3:39 PM

Jul 2012
mayukachan said:
yeah a solid 8/10 but didn't love it

Animation was great, story knew what it wanted to be and developed well, characters were alright and that part near the end almost made me have an heart attack.
It was good but I had to force myself a bit to continue and finish it the 3rd time I had it open.
Still, recommended, mainly for Christmas season :)
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» whats the difference between the remastered and the original?

LilBoOfficial - Sep 3, 2021

6 by peterross »»
Oct 12, 2023 8:47 PM

» It's that time of the year again! [NO SPOILERS]

raiderublaze - Dec 23, 2020

18 by m3m3y »»
Jan 3, 2023 9:04 AM

» Tokyo Godfathers Discussion

Chelle - Jan 4, 2007

49 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 3, 2022 5:45 PM

» Coincidence, or something more?

Fear_the_Reefer - Dec 19, 2014

1 by Meritas »»
Dec 20, 2014 10:16 AM

» Quick Question about the Story

WAXCHUG - Jan 5, 2012

1 by Bepbo »»
Jun 16, 2012 4:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.