Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 3, 2016 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well they took on a somewhat serious approach at ping pong in this.

One thing that bothers me the character designs about their eyes, too big imo. On the other hand, they are kinda cute. The visual quality itself is so-so, nothing too impressive.

Ping pong is serious business~
Oct 3, 2016 10:28 AM

May 2014
This is moe + ping pong
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Oct 3, 2016 11:09 AM

Apr 2010
The girls certainly get wet in this anime.
Ping pong is intense seeing the way the girls sweat like that.
So for the anime seems ok tho Akari seems a bit full of herself.
Oct 3, 2016 12:10 PM

Dec 2013
Kawaiii!!! Cute Anime, the ace looks like aoba from new games actually the all animation looks like the animation from new games, i think the new girl will change the team to the best, I hope it will be a little bit serious not only cutesy anime .....I love cute anime don't get me wrong ;))
AlhakamOct 3, 2016 12:18 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2016 12:20 PM
Apr 2012
I can't help but laugh each time someone says "Munemune". Best nickname!
Oct 3, 2016 12:20 PM
May 2015
Ping Pong can get intense. I wonder what Akari will do now that her ace spot is being threatened.
Oct 3, 2016 12:21 PM

Aug 2010
6.00 score? Why so low? (by MAL standards, I mean)
I thought the episode was quite fun. Koyori and Agari are super cute!
Looking forward the next episode.
Oct 3, 2016 12:33 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The sports season has officially started! It went right into the action and was actually captivating.

The characters are really fun and you get tons of action watching table tennis.

That's the best episode i've watched so far from the new stuff this season.
Oct 3, 2016 12:34 PM

Sep 2015
I can't get Suzukaze Aoba out of my head ><

good OP, good ED, funny first episode and also some dark sides (and oppai)
can't wait for next week !
Oct 3, 2016 12:42 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Hey, thats pretty gud !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 3, 2016 12:46 PM

Feb 2008
Dem wet T-shirts full of moe sweat.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 3, 2016 12:52 PM

Dec 2014
This was really good, Way better than what I expected.

They dived right into the ping ping action and it was really entertaining to watch, The games felt energetic and the show has the zeal I always look for in sports shows. :D
The girls get all wet. XD

Characters are lively and likable, Art is fairly simplistic but I guess it's working in the shows' favor.
Munemune is such a fitting nickname. XD

Agari's jealous over all the attention Koyori's getting, Wonder if Koyori is actually better than Agari, Guess we'll know soon.
Looking forward to more.
Oct 3, 2016 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
It was quite good!

The girls' T shirts got wet so fast!
Oct 3, 2016 12:53 PM

Jan 2015
Wow, that was way better than I had expected
Oct 3, 2016 1:06 PM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
Why such a low scre?
This was easily one of the strongest first episodes so far in terms of selling the shows strengths.
Sports and Moe aspects balance each other out really well, the character designs are adorable and while they are simple, I love the details like them actual sweating realistically while doing sports. The character animation is nice and so far, the number of derpfaces in the background has been very limited.
What else could people ask from a sports show with cute girls?
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Oct 3, 2016 1:07 PM

Mar 2016
Very good start, but i like nearly all sports anime so it was to be expected.

Will watch the next episode, and so far the only anime that has beaten it in my score is Bloodivores and trickster. Probably drawing with Vivid Strike, another sports anime.
Oct 3, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2014
This is surprisingly really good. The comedy is funny, and the matches themselves are fun. Could develop into being one of my favorites by the end of the season.

(Most sports anime have a tournament arc and I think this one will have it as well)
Oct 3, 2016 1:16 PM

Sep 2016
holy shit this show is actually super good

better than haikyu lmao
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 3, 2016 1:19 PM

Jun 2012
It kinda reminds me of Battle Athletes TV series, both have clumsy main character, and their best friend is star in sports, i just hope they won't get too over dramatic like in BA (Where best friend got so upset that main character got good, she wanted her to lose)
Oct 3, 2016 1:29 PM

Jun 2014
Best show of the season so far.

Kagami Hiiragi vs Akarin in ping pong!?
Oct 3, 2016 1:35 PM

Dec 2010
Didn't have much expectations about this anime based solely on character design, BUT it turn out to be the best first ep of the season in terms of feelings, something like Elfen Lied, cute but dramatic at the same time.
Hope the anime keep this terrific feeling and balance between cuteness and drama.

5/5
Oct 3, 2016 2:10 PM

Apr 2014
Spats and Butts/10
Oct 3, 2016 2:36 PM

Mar 2014

nice this is the new tribe for me after new game.
i am a big fan of table tennis and its rare now to see a player who plays penhold style as Ryu Seung-min.
Oct 3, 2016 3:33 PM

Dec 2014
man ping pong the animation season 2 sure is different...
Oct 3, 2016 3:38 PM
Nov 2013
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm a bit concerned about Munemune's well-being. I'm pretty sure she lost nearly 15 pounds of sweat during a one set table tennis match.
Oct 3, 2016 3:42 PM

Oct 2010
The score is only 6.0 because only the first eight votes had come in when it was calculated. That calculation timing actually hurts the show, because it discourages people from giving it a chance. (In my list a 6 is a good show, but of course by MAL standards 6 means terrible)

The actual ratings given so far look like somewhere around 6.8.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33031/Shakunetsu_no_Takkyuu_Musume/stats
nDroaeOct 3, 2016 3:47 PM
Oct 3, 2016 4:10 PM

Jun 2013
DatRandomDude said:
Hey, thats pretty gud !

Idk, I'd say it was more mildly adequate.
Oct 3, 2016 4:43 PM
Oct 2012
sweetdrops said:
No magic kung-fu or robots
Oct 3, 2016 5:02 PM

Jul 2007
Holy crap that was like way way way way way better than I expected. The only thing that worries me is it looks like it's gonna have some needless drama but it doesn't look like the series is gonna focus on it. (at least I hope it won't)

Very nice first episode. Moe as hell but it keep the matches "real". I don't want the transfer student to become the ace :|
Oct 3, 2016 5:14 PM

Nov 2013
This dragged on, even at 2x speed...
Oct 3, 2016 5:16 PM

Apr 2011
Serious ping pong + moe... not bad 4/5

Character designs do look meh.
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Oct 3, 2016 5:26 PM

Dec 2014
My weekly dose of moe is here.
At first I was expecting it to be more comedy-centered. Something like Sabagebu.
Well, this way is fine too.
BlancchetOct 3, 2016 5:37 PM
Oct 3, 2016 6:16 PM
Sep 2015
Ping Pong is one of my favourite shows so I watched this kind of as a joke, but it's actually legit. In practice it's similar to Saki but because of the physicality of the way the table tennis is presented it feels more convincing as a sports show than as a moe moe fanservice show.

It's like the sweat. Watching the OP I thought it was just going to be a fanservice thing, and while there is definitely an element of fanservice to it, the emphasis seems to be more about how hard they've been playing. Go figure.
Oct 3, 2016 6:23 PM

Aug 2011
This show is good. Remind me of Saki
Oct 3, 2016 6:46 PM

Jul 2011
lol@ people commenting on score. Unless it's been super hyped before the season starts, scores won't be true until it finishes airing. (If it's still good by then it'll jump rank.)

Anyway, aside from being super moe, I liked this. Sports ftw. Though I sense oncoming drama.
Oct 3, 2016 6:58 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
can never have enough CGDCT a season

dat sweat doh...
Oct 3, 2016 6:58 PM
Jun 2013
Really enjoyed the episode. I'm liking the combination of moe and ping pong. How the champion got beaten 11-0 feels too ridiculous, though. My prediction is that the big boss will turn out to be a Chinese transfer student.
Oct 3, 2016 7:30 PM

Feb 2013
In the beginning I don't like the episode at all but in the final it seems nice!
Oct 3, 2016 7:49 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
sweetdrops said:
I thought the episode was quite fun. Koyori and Agari are super cute!
Looking forward the next episode.

Indeed, fun. So much in this episode.

- Intro match
- Agari vs Koyori getting into their match. I liked Agari's expression when she went serious.

In short, Koyori showed her talent and made Agari quite jelly in the process.

I liked Koyori's funny comment about Munemune, calling her a boob name lol.
Never knew one can sweat that much just by playing ping pong, but cute.

Oct 3, 2016 7:51 PM

May 2010
After Akaza Akari got beaten by Tomoko Kuroki, she disappeared for the entire series.
Oct 3, 2016 8:18 PM

Feb 2014
As much as im down for a weekly dose of CGDCT + ping pong + probable fanservice here and there.

Part of me is sorta hoping this is like the Kuroko no Basket of ping pong from time to time

Oct 3, 2016 8:56 PM

Jan 2011
was thinking monday's might go back to being duds thought this was gonna be a short so i had zero expectations going in but this actually was pretty good! animation was great as well sweat spots were lewd but a nice detail ,seeing the OP gives me some Saki Vibes character designs are good too just a tad bit to big on the eyes lol maybe they should make them a bit smaller

the play on words for munemune ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

now i won't be surprised if this ends up being one of the better shows this season
Oct 3, 2016 9:04 PM

Oct 2010
Cloudy said:
I don't want the transfer student to become the ace :|

Seems mandatory, so that Agari (current ace, Not-Aoba) can have her arc in which she's humbled but then learns to truly love the game; she currently only uses ping pong as a means to her goal of being popular. The show didn't start to click for me until Koyori (redhead transfer, MC according to poster) showed up.

I guess this is only the third sports anime I've watched, after Giant Killing and Days.
Oct 3, 2016 10:28 PM

Mar 2010
I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I did. The animation was fairly good and I really dug how they balanced it out being all moe and dramatic in its sports matches when it came down to it. I'll be sticking with this one and see how it goes.
Oct 3, 2016 10:43 PM

Jun 2013
I didn't quite expect this to be full serious ping ponging. Good thing it's looking like it'll be taking it's table tennis seriously.

Agari is the ace at her school and her spot is being threatened by the newcomer Koyori. They were friendly at first but now they're rivals, or at least Agari will consider them to be so. The matches were quite good. Lol Agari went for an interview and behind her back Agari wreaked some havoc by defeating the first years without conceding a point. Liked Koyori's technique of stopping Munemune (wtf is this name lol) from even attempting her deadly smashes. The ping pong animation was kinda good. The matches were interesting. I'm not really liking the character designs. They don't look particularly cute.

I didn't really get why they showed that Oudo school lose in the beginning. Is Koyori from Oudo and transferred here after her school lost big time? I don't think that looks like the case though. Could be that they're only showing that the times have changed and the nine time reigning champions have lost so anyone can reach the top. But then again, Agari didn't care about that.

Anyway, this was interesting. It was a bit predictable in places but still kinda enjoyable. Liked the table tennis matches. The animation is also good enough and the comedy is fun for most of the part. Lol how Agari tells Munemune to put her boobs away because the size is scaring Koyori. And now Agari and Koyori will probably play against each other to see who will become the school ace. And Agari will probably face the reality that the timid newcomer is better than her. Or at least she should face that reality.
Oct 3, 2016 11:58 PM

Jan 2014
WHOAH... Why the fuck was this THAT good??

This is the first moe in a long time to surprise me :O I'm going to stick to this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2016 12:20 AM

Dec 2011
Not a bad first episode and quite fun.Tsumujikaze is so cute..
She might be the cutest girl this season.
Oct 4, 2016 12:31 AM

Jul 2013
It's already better than that other anime actually titled Ping Pong because beeewbs..

That being said I'm surprised they actually took the ping pong stuff seriously. I was expecting something like Ro-Kyu-Bu, all moe and very little focus on the sport itself.

OP and Ed are surprisingly good too and I don't say this on every anime (since most anime has generic forgettable songs)
Oct 4, 2016 1:11 AM

Jun 2013
Like a bunch have already said, this was much better than i was expecting, very enjoyable start!
Oct 4, 2016 2:17 AM

Sep 2013
Amazing! What an incredible start! These girls are so cute! The ping pong action is so incredible, I was sweating and I'm a cross country runner! For some reason, I really wanna play ping pong after this and I don't have the slightest clue why.

In all seriousness. I thought this was fairly entertaining and better than expected. The girls are adorable, especially Koyori, but everything I just posted is to entertain myself because my Mondays at work are god awful. I'm not making fun of the show. I'm just entertaining myself to make my day better. Apologies if I offend you.

2/5
TehSnawnOct 4, 2016 2:22 AM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2016

86 by Deazu »»
Aug 13, 2023 4:37 PM

Poll: » Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2016

67 by Deazu »»
Aug 12, 2023 3:06 PM

» This show is underrated

Friermiko - Jul 1, 2021

7 by VampireLord1024 »»
Jun 22, 2023 12:06 AM

Poll: » Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2016

83 by TSTO »»
Jul 9, 2022 12:49 PM

Poll: » Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2016

50 by Serafos »»
Jun 28, 2021 4:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.