Forum Settings
Forums

Voice Actress Popularity Ranking [Updated]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 11, 2009 3:50 AM
Jun 2008
kuroshiroi said:
tehnominator said:
And though everyone hates on Crispin Freeman, you have to admit, you can remember the damn guy's voice.
True, his Kyon was memorable. I cannot for the life of me remember Wendee Lee's Haruhi though or her Konata. (Related to a recent discussion in the anime discussion forum)

tehnominator said:
Not everyone likes the Japanese audio, actually. I've met people before who like it in English.
Did they say why? Less squeaky voices or something?

Well, a lot of people aren't Japanophiles or "weeaboos" or whatever (somehow I think I will get stoned for this...), and many of them actually don't care for the Japanese language. So that's one reason I heard--they don't want to hear the Japanese audio.

Other people say that they think the English dub voices are better. Putting it into context, perhaps it's understandable why they would prefer it. Take some comedies--getting the joke sometimes is better when you hear it (in English) as opposed to reading it (in Japanese, assuming you don't speak or understand the language).

Most of the cases I've encountered however say that they don't want to read subtitles.

I prefer listening to the original Japanese, because they tend to get the emotions down correctly, contextually they understand a situation better, and their timing is most accurate.
May 11, 2009 4:04 AM

Jul 2007
Obligatory "Aya Hirano isn't that good" comment.

Wai wai Yukarin! *waves Yukarin Love banner* <3 <3 <3

Holy shit @ Megumi and Haruna. Very unique and well-cast voices but WOW...

Kugi, Hocchan and Marina round at the Top 10 nicely.

Yuu Kobayashi is overrated. Mamiko should be higher.

YAY KANA-CHAN! Let Yuno be only the beginning of your seiyuu conquest!

God bless whatever masses are giving Kaoru Mizuhara the love she so rightfully deserves. Please keep blowing us all away, Mizuhara-san.

Eternally 17 Kiku is still in the game, of course <3

Mai Nakahara is criminally low.

Good god, does Sakura Tange even make appearances anymore?! Fear the power of CCS.

Ganbatte, Houko-san T_T

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR!!! WHO'S NOT SHOWING KAORI LOVE?!?! NAMES! I DEMAND NAMES!!!!

But that's not the worst, oh no....

WHERE IN THE NAME OF MIYAZAKI IS AYAKO KAWASUMI?!?!?!!?

THIS INJUSTICE MUST BE RIGHTED IMMEDIATELY!
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
May 11, 2009 5:19 AM

Feb 2008
Splitter said:
58th place. She hasn't done any major roles that I know of, Nodame is not exactly Gundam, Macross, or Haruhi.
May 11, 2009 9:14 AM

Apr 2008
I don't have any objection because my most favorite is Aya Hirano not only because of the voice acting. I like her songs.

I don't like Haruhi (the character) that much but God Knows rocks. I also like her Konata voice which suits the character perfectly...same with Haruhi. When her voice changes so do the character..she's a very flexible one.

I don't get why some people objects the most popular (here in MAL) VA ...I guess that's only natural when one is famous. The more popular the more haters.

May 11, 2009 11:06 AM

Apr 2008
Sylpheed said:
I don't have any objection because my most favorite is Aya Hirano not only because of the voice acting. I like her songs.

I don't like Haruhi (the character) that much but God Knows rocks. I also like her Konata voice which suits the character perfectly...same with Haruhi. When her voice changes so do the character..she's a very flexible one.

I don't get why some people objects the most popular (here in MAL) VA ...I guess that's only natural when one is famous. The more popular the more haters.

Mainly because she only had 2 good songs and 2 good roles imo...
If singing, Mizuki Nana and Chihara Minori is way up there. Most of Aya's hype comes from LS and Haruhi imo...
May 11, 2009 11:51 AM
Jun 2008
infinite_zero said:
Most of Aya's hype comes from LS and Haruhi imo...

This is especially true, since she gets all these supporting roles in anime, or as I'd like to say, the "reject" roles.

That chick from Hyakko? The pantsu angel thing from Queen's Blade? The singer who barely even sings from White Album?

Not exactly her most memorable roles, I would say (except for Queen's Blade, since after watching that, it's hard to forget anything).
May 11, 2009 4:12 PM

Jun 2008
dtshyk said:
*1, 6.20 Hirano Aya
No, just no.
dtshyk said:
*3, 2.32 Tamura Yukari
I'm glad she's so high in the ranking. Ni-pah~
dtshyk said:
*5, 2.12 Sakamoto Maaya
Just as planned.
dtshyk said:
10, 1.48 Inoue Marina
11, 1.44 Kobayashi Yuu
Hell yeah. They deserve to be higher, though.
dtshyk said:
37, 0.64 Nakahara Mai
WTF? 37? :-|

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
May 11, 2009 5:06 PM

Jul 2007
kuroshiroi said:
Splitter said:
58th place. She hasn't done any major roles that I know of, Nodame is not exactly Gundam, Macross, or Haruhi.

Nodame, Saber, Ohno, Matsuri, Chikane, Mahoro, Yoshid- OH NAO I GET IT.
May 11, 2009 5:57 PM
Jun 2008
Splitter said:
kuroshiroi said:
Splitter said:

Nodame, Saber, Ohno, Matsuri, Chikane, Mahoro, Yoshid- OH NAO I GET IT.

*sighs* Such an amazing seiyuu and yet the love? Where is it? Even the Black Eyed Peas lament.
May 11, 2009 6:01 PM

Jan 2008
Splitter said:
Good god, does Sakura Tange even make appearances anymore?! Fear the power of CCS.

Wow...I didn't even notice her in the list! She's sooo ninja...
Hirano Aya should stop being so popular >____<

Banner made by suikka
May 11, 2009 6:28 PM

May 2008
<3 tomatsu haruka <3 shes so young
May 11, 2009 6:55 PM

Apr 2007
Hirano Aya #1 with Inoue Marina way down at #10.
What a sad, sad world we live in.

Ueda Kana not even in the top 20
this is too much for me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2009 7:28 PM

Jul 2007
panda_general said:
Splitter said:

Wow...I didn't even notice her in the list! She's sooo ninja...
Hirano Aya should stop being so popular >____<

The thing with Aya Hirano is... she's got the talent. Haruhi and Konata proved that. The problem is she wastes it by phoning in everything else. I like her in a lot of stuff she's in, but in very few of her performances do I ever feel like she's trying. It's more like she rests on her laurels and just goes through the motions rather than ever give an honest effort.
May 11, 2009 7:42 PM
Jun 2008
Splitter said:

The thing with Aya Hirano is... she's got the talent. Haruhi and Konata proved that. The problem is she wastes it by phoning in everything else. I like her in a lot of stuff she's in, but in very few of her performances do I ever feel like she's trying. It's more like she rests on her laurels and just goes through the motions rather than ever give an honest effort.

I think more than that, she's getting typecast as all these "moe" characters. I still say annoying angel thing from Queen's Blade so wasn't the role she would have gone for. Then again, I doubt any seiyuu from that anime actively chose a role. Maybe they all chose lots and then grimaced about who had the most dialogue in the end.
May 11, 2009 8:17 PM

Jul 2007
tehnominator said:

I think more than that, she's getting typecast as all these "moe" characters. I still say annoying angel thing from Queen's Blade so wasn't the role she would have gone for. Then again, I doubt any seiyuu from that anime actively chose a role. Maybe they all chose lots and then grimaced about who had the most dialogue in the end.

Looking at her resume post-Lucky Star, I'm inclined to understand where you are coming from. Very few notable roles and all subscribe solely to existing as generic eye candy. Of course, it may be that the truth is a fusion of our two opinions, or maybe its neither. Who knows, but there's definite evidence for both, I believe.

As for whether seiyuu actively choose a role, one honestly can't say. There's definitely the Rie Kugimiya factor in which it's clear if you have a loli tsundere, she's pretty much a lock for the role. But despite that, what really matters is the effort they put forth in their roles. The best seiyuu for me is always the one that I can tell they are working in their performance. That's why seiyuu like Ayako Kawasumi and Mai Nakahara are so awesome for me.
May 11, 2009 8:32 PM
Jun 2008
Splitter said:
The best seiyuu for me is always the one that I can tell they are working in their performance.

Most definitely. I also think a seiyuu who sounds like she enjoys her work rather than "Oh, this will pay for a new kotatsu." is really commendable.

Nakahara Mai does seiyuu overtime work, if you ask me. I think her Nagisa from Clannad was her best role, honestly. Did you hear her control over her voice?! Each word caught perfectly, keeping in total character at all times. The way Nagisa would weigh her words out, Nakahara kept that tempo up for the entire anime. Amazing. Utterly amazing. Though I know people who also dislike her for voicing "cutesy" characters as well.

Kawasumi has amazing range, honestly. Though Orikasa Fumiko has it for me with her comedy stylings. I don't think I've ever heard a seiyuu have so much fun with her roles. Comic timing is just as important as any other trick a seiyuu can pull off.
May 11, 2009 8:47 PM

Mar 2005

gg MAL
May 12, 2009 1:32 AM

Apr 2008
zeff said:
No Romi-san?

shakeyourpup45 said:
*checks the rest 0f the list* Oh!

Saiga Mitsuki, for those who wonder, is 61

Oktani Ikue is 133...

I think Satsuki yukino is 91

OH Paku Romi is 104! (a kanji is missing)

And didn't Sakura Tange retire..or something?
May 12, 2009 2:03 AM

Apr 2008
Kawasumi Ayako was Lafiel from Crest iirc ;_;

Yeah, she did a lot too, but the top ones are like the "seiyuu idol" type of people.
May 12, 2009 2:05 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
RenaPsychoKiller said:
dtshyk said:
37, 0.64 Nakahara Mai
WTF? 37? :-|
Oh shit, I didn't even notice. This is not right. =/

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 12, 2009 2:17 AM

Feb 2008
tehnominator said:
Nakahara Mai does seiyuu overtime work, if you ask me. I think her Nagisa from Clannad was her best role, honestly. Did you hear her control over her voice?! Each word caught perfectly, keeping in total character at all times. The way Nagisa would weigh her words out, Nakahara kept that tempo up for the entire anime. Amazing. Utterly amazing. Though I know people who also dislike her for voicing "cutesy" characters as well.
I don't know, she sounds like a retard in Clannad. She does consistently sound like one though, so props for that.

I don't get this Hirano Aya hate though, what's wrong with her being popular?
May 12, 2009 5:32 AM

Oct 2008
kuroshiroi said:
tehnominator said:
I don't know, she sounds like a retard in Clannad. She does consistently sound like one though, so props for that.
LOL. But I do have to agree with you.

Well, she has a tendency to play annoying characters. Such as Misa. HOLY SHIT.
And maybe also because actresses like Ayako Kawasumi are way behind her, and she's in front of them, and ahead of them, and 1st, and etc.
May 12, 2009 5:34 AM

Feb 2008
WTF IS PAKU ROMI DOING AT 104?!

I'm raging.
May 12, 2009 11:48 AM

Feb 2008
BigSimo said:

And maybe also because actresses like Ayako Kawasumi are way behind her, and she's in front of them, and ahead of them, and 1st, and etc.
So there's no valid reason, just good old fashioned envy?
May 12, 2009 12:06 PM
Dec 2007
kuroshiroi said:
BigSimo said:

The most popular will always get hated on. 1/4 would be valid arguments, the rest are just pure "but my favorite seiyuu should be #1 !!!" whining.

May 12, 2009 12:12 PM

Feb 2008
Leon-Gun said:
kuroshiroi said:
BigSimo said:

The most popular will always get hated on. 1/4 would be valid arguments, the rest are just pure "but my favorite seiyuu should be #1 !!!" whining.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Nothing to see here, move along.
May 12, 2009 12:45 PM

Apr 2008
Nakahara Mai is good too... RENA RENA

As I said before, the top 4 are basically all "Seiyuu Idols", hence the most popular
The rest are probably largely based on most popular shows. Maaya and Nakajima in Macross, Kugyuu as her tsunderes etc...
May 13, 2009 2:50 AM

Oct 2008
kuroshiroi said:
BigSimo said:

yep.
May 25, 2009 1:01 AM

Dec 2008

*1, 6.20 Hirano Aya
*2, 5.70 Mizuki Nana
*3, 2.32 Tamura Yukari
*4, 2.24 Chihara Minori
*5, 2.12 Sakamoto Maaya
*6, 1.94 Nakajima Megumi
*7, 1.60 Ikezawa Haruna
*7, 1.60 Kugimiya Rie
*9, 1.49 Horie Yui
10, 1.48 Inoue Marina

11, 1.44 Kobayashi Yuu
11, 1.44 Tanaka Rie
13, 1.12 Noto Mamiko
14, 1.11 Koshimizu Ami
14, 1.11 Shintani Ryoko
16. 1.07 Itou Shizuka
17, 1.04 Kitamura Eri
17, 1.04 Goto Yuko

Right! It's elite of Seiyu :)
Jul 17, 2009 2:35 PM

Sep 2008
Takuya-kun said:
Amaya-no-Hime said:
Aya Hirano? *facepalm*
It isn't just MAL, I see.

Anyway, this is just females. I'm sure someone like Fukuyama Jun might have beat her.

as the title says, this is a popularity contest

And why is she popular? Surely not for three roles, is it because no one's really pointing out anything besides Misa, Konata, and Haruhi. -_-

Speaking of Haruhi, I feel like stabbing myself because of the Endless Eight arc (and because of the OP theme...Fans can support her voice all they want, but she shouldn't sing...) because her voice gets old and annoying fast. :/

Jul 17, 2009 3:55 PM

Dec 2008
Rinato said:
Takuya-kun said:
Amaya-no-Hime said:
Aya Hirano? *facepalm*
It isn't just MAL, I see.

Anyway, this is just females. I'm sure someone like Fukuyama Jun might have beat her.

as the title says, this is a popularity contest

And why is she popular? Surely not for three roles, is it because no one's really pointing out anything besides Misa, Konata, and Haruhi. -_-

Speaking of Haruhi, I feel like stabbing myself because of the Endless Eight arc (and because of the OP theme...Fans can support her voice all they want, but she shouldn't sing...) because her voice gets old and annoying fast. :/

It IS because she does Haruhi, which she does very well. I'm neutral towards Aya, so it doesn't bother me. Yes, she does do annoying characters, but that's what the character is like. She prolly thinks some of her roles are obnoxious or annoying too. That's why she is good at her job, thus making her popular.
Jul 17, 2009 5:56 PM

Oct 2008
Aya Hirano, Megumi Nakajima, and Haruka Tomatsu. Just the three of them being up there shows that the dominance of japanese voice acting is being sustained by the next generation.

Although I'm a fan of Megumi, I personally don't think that she deserves top 10 yet, I loved her Ranka. But she doesn't have enough other roles yet, there were definitly more deserving underneath her. In the future though I believe she'll be deserving of a spot like that.

And the main rankings were search engine based so if the voice actress's character was loved and if they sing then that's an even bigger boost.
In Nakajima's case the success of the Macross Frontier's success in music. OST 1, probably contributed a lot since it was the first anime sound track to make the Oricon Top 3 since The End of Evangelion soundtrack (1997).
Jul 18, 2009 2:38 AM

May 2008
Im satisfied,
at least, most of the voice actors/actress i like are on the list
Jul 20, 2009 4:11 PM

Aug 2008
Oh well, at least Noto Mamiko made it (I was afraid she wouldn't). Enma Ai <3!

Even though I actually like Hirano Aya for Haruhi and Konata (dodges flaming toilet paper from flamers), I agree that she is definitely not the most talented seiyuu in the business. Her role as Misa was irritating, and every other role she had was forgettable.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jul 20, 2009 9:24 PM

Jan 2008
CarpeDiem said:
dtshyk said:
*1, 6.20 Hirano Aya
Of course...

Epic fail.
Hello!
Aug 9, 2009 11:48 PM

Jan 2008
Most of my favorite seiyuu are on there so I'm fine with it lol.
Aug 10, 2009 5:23 AM

May 2009
dtshyk said:
*1, 6.20 Hirano Aya

overrated.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2009 7:18 PM

Jul 2008
Cool, Kamiyan's #1~
Aug 21, 2009 11:13 AM

Jul 2008
iTom said:
CarpeDiem said:
dtshyk said:
*1, 6.20 Hirano Aya
Of course...

Epic fail.
Aug 21, 2009 11:59 AM
Dec 2008
Yay for Sakamoto Maaya~chin <3
Aug 22, 2009 1:33 AM
Feb 2009
Aya Hirano will probably be on top for a long time.
Sep 8, 2009 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
Horie Yui is... 9th?!
Sep 9, 2009 8:14 AM

Jan 2009
big surprise hirano aya is on top :/
Sep 9, 2009 10:05 PM
Jul 2009
no surprise, i like hirano's loud and clear voice. It's very energetic.

yay for maaya sakamoto too
Sep 10, 2009 1:31 AM

Sep 2008
Aya at the top. I'm not a fanboy but a long one on her just because she's at the top.

She does do an excellent job in Haruhi, and Kaoru in Zettai Karen is also excellent. Haven't come across her mediocre, minor performances yet - I've been watching the wrong series. At least she's done good performances - better than Hong Kong's "Twins" who were hugely popular just because of their looks...heck, Aya the voice actress actually sings better than those "singers"...although Aya's pitch accuracy is definately not excellent live.

Mizuki Nana...easily the top Seiyuu that can sing - with only Maaya Sakamoto in contention. Her voice ranges from Minami Touma to Fate Testarossa. I think that says enough!

Didn't know Minami Chiaki = Nagato Yuki.

These search results and popularity rankings probably have a recency bias - searches (in my theory) are largely influenced by what is being shown right now, unless you totally carve out fame for yourself and find your niche (like voicing Haruhi, Konata), or Mizuki Nana with her singing.

Ayako Kawasumi is exceptionally versatile and I love her voice. She'd probably be ranked higher if season 1 of Nodame had aired earlier this year for example.

If they ran the same analysis for the second half of this year, I would think a stapler-wielding Saitou Chiwa would be higher than 70th.
NV2301Sep 10, 2009 1:43 AM
Hyouka and real-life Takayama comparison blog: Completed 31/10/2015
http://hyoukaorigination.blogspot.com/

Aria the Animation and real-life Venice comparision blog:
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Sep 10, 2009 2:40 AM

Mar 2009
i hope inoue marina can beat hirano aya..
and good job for ono daisuke!
Sep 10, 2009 2:59 AM

Jun 2009
20 for Haruka Tomatsu???

1 for Aya Hirano???I think Kugimiya deserve it....
Oct 21, 2009 7:14 AM

Apr 2009
Sonja-cchi said:
... Aya Hirano ._____. Why she is so popular ?

Because she's popular with :
1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
-Novel series had very strong character description, their strong characteristic is so refreshing (although I need the psychological things in the Light novel series..) haruhi is tsundere, yuki is dandere, mikuru is dojikko, kyon is cool-type or i should call it neutral person, and koizumi is yaoi type (no comment for him..)
-that anime teach about lot of having fun in this world (make every bored person motivated)
-the TV anime series always influent person who watch this (that SOS-DAN, Suzumiya Haruhi who treated as Ultra-Director, and HARUHIISM to show how powerful this god was)
-after received these memory in your brain, every despair otaku (like me and over a thousand other otaku) will change their religion to HARUHIISM that teach about fun in this world (and it's really effective)

2. Lucky Star, Konata Izumi (who a big fan of haruhi) always praising her, right? @ episodes 16 even konata went to Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekisou (concert for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime)

3. Every anime where she starring at, her voice is different! I even don't recognize it (or maybe I'm so stupid?) but, when I watch haruhi, lucky star, deathnote (dropped), and maria holic , her voice is different I think..

4. She got clear voice, she put her soul into her music & song..
I love her way to do it..
Oct 25, 2009 3:42 PM

Jun 2008
Why does it even matter how popular they are anyway? Am I the only person who seriously doesn't care about these lists?(I like Aya and Maaya and some of the others but like half of them i've never heard of/seen anything they've been in/don't care either way about them-and i'm not particularly bothered about it, tbh XD)

I like Aya as Misa as well as Konata and Haruhi actually, but that's just me, since everyone else hates Misa >.>;;; (and I just generally think she's a pretty adorable person. /heterosexual female, I mean her personality, not just her looks.)

also no-one's mentioned she was Reira in NANA which imo is pretty big considering the manga is the best selling shojo title in Japan (don't know how the anime ranks)

Happy Maaya's up there, her voice is lovely. Agree that Mamiko should be higher. (she's absolutely perfect as Sawako *w*)

Male list is win, I know and love at least 8 of them 8D Had no idea Hiroshi Kamiya was that popular, but i'm happy that he is <33 Daisuke Ono and Mamoru Miyano are favourites too so i'm pretty damn happy about that.<333
Oct 25, 2009 3:47 PM

Apr 2007
makio-chan said:
i hope inoue marina can beat hirano aya..

The world is not that fair.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» 'Kaijuu 8-gou' Unveils Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

1 by malvarez1 »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

18 by Jopping »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Ikoku Nikki' Receives TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

18 by Kazou-nozumu688 »»
Today, 7:17 AM

» 'Kono Sekai wa Fukanzen Sugiru' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs

Nioxys - Today

0 by Nioxys »»
Today, 6:07 AM

» 'Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu' 2nd Season Announced

Vindstot - Dec 23, 2023

19 by JugNut001 »»
Today, 5:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.