Forum Settings
Forums

Fundraising in Kickstarter to Extend 'Little Witch Academia 2' Met Goal in its First Day

New
Jul 9, 2013 6:57 AM

Sep 2012
A crowdfunding project on Kickstarter to extend the sequel to "Little Witch Academia" from the planned 20 minutes to 35 minutes met its goal of raising US$150,000 in its first day of launch. Currently the sum has come to over US$195,000 and the project still has 29 days to go.

Pledging starts from US$1 and anybody who pledges that amount can get a digital wallpaper. Those who pledge US$20 or more receives the right to download an artbook and the standard definition of the finished sequel. Those who pledge US$50 or more will receive the printed edition of the artbook and the blu-ray disc of the sequel. There are also other gifts for pledges of over US$100, US$200 and US$300. Limited places of special gifts are also available for big backers who pledge US$1000, US$2000 and US$10000. There are only 3 places for backers pledging US$10000 and these are the category that was filled the fastest. The 3 backers will be granted a visit to Studio TRIGGER and dinner with the Studio TRIGGER team, as well as visit to the offices of related companies such as Ultra Super Pictures and Good Smile Company, and the trip also includes two nights of accommodation.

Kickstarter crowdfunding site for Little Witch Academia 2: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2

Source: IT Media
Previous related topic: Anime 'Little Witch Academia' to Get Sequel

Little Witch Academia 2 on MAL
myanimelistllcMar 25, 2016 5:50 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 9, 2013 6:59 AM

Nov 2010
Kickstarter never ceases to amaze me.
Jul 9, 2013 7:05 AM

Aug 2010
Lovely news, shows the true power of the fans. Wish I had the means to pledge, I would gladly...
Jul 9, 2013 7:07 AM

Jan 2008
I expected that they'd easily reach their goal, but not in one day.
Good news.
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )
Jul 9, 2013 7:27 AM

Jul 2010
i still need to watch that god damn OVA, never thought it would have been this interesting to garner this much support. i thought death billiards would be getting this kinda treatment

Jul 9, 2013 7:28 AM

Jan 2011
Can't wait for that 35 minutes of greatness. Too bad this will most likely be made in 2015 though, but we will have Kill la kill before then so it's all good.
VioLinkJul 9, 2013 12:36 PM
[center]
Jul 9, 2013 7:31 AM

Oct 2012
200k in a day... Gotta watch that already.
Jul 9, 2013 7:34 AM

Apr 2011
Good news.

I want dis in my PTW so badly.
Feb 2012
Fans can be amazing, especially in these type of situations. =)

A sequel would be great. =D

Jun 2011
That's good news. Hopefully more studios will get interested.
Jul 9, 2013 7:38 AM

Jun 2009
great, now all i have to find my credit card so i can pledge at least something cause i loved the 1st and i want to help some how

edit:
done and donated $20
imperlastJul 9, 2013 7:50 AM
Jul 9, 2013 7:58 AM

Aug 2011
Was debating between doating $100 or $300, ended up going the $300 because I want that signed BD.

If I donated $10,000, I'd be wanting to meet Inferno Cop as part of my trip to Trigger.
Jul 9, 2013 8:00 AM

Oct 2011
aw wanted a trip to japan O_O
guess i gotta be satisfied with a poster and digital downloads XD
Jul 9, 2013 8:09 AM

Jun 2009
mitch3315 said:
Was debating between doating $100 or $300, ended up going the $300 because I want that signed BD.

i wish i had the spare $300 cause it would of been cool to have my name in the credits
imperlastJul 9, 2013 8:13 AM
Jul 9, 2013 8:13 AM

Aug 2011
imperlast said:
mitch3315 said:

If I donated $10,000, I'd be wanting to meet Inferno Cop as part of my trip to Trigger.

i wish i had the spare $300 cause it would of been cool to have my name in the credits

That will also be pretty damn awesome.
Jul 9, 2013 8:15 AM
Oct 2010
Nice, first one was good, like japan's version of harry potter.
Jul 9, 2013 8:19 AM

Sep 2011
Oh man at this rate in donations we may end up getting a movie out of this.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 9, 2013 8:21 AM

Dec 2012
First OVA was quite fun to watch :> Thank god they're making a second one.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 9, 2013 8:22 AM

Jan 2008
News made me smile.

Watch they get more than enough funds to make a 1cour show, assuming 195,000 USD's isn't enough.
Jul 9, 2013 8:26 AM

Jun 2009
It's happening.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Jul 9, 2013 8:44 AM

Jun 2009
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
i hope thats a result, so far its the 7th most funded animation project on kick starter and still plenty of time left i seen something on tumblr that said if it keeps this trend it could raise over 2 million and im sure if it got to that we would get a full movie
Jul 9, 2013 8:45 AM

Nov 2011
Hope this works out well tbh.
Jul 9, 2013 8:45 AM

Feb 2012
I wonder if they'll add any stretch goals. I'm sure they're too much in shock atm to make any announcements.

Silent_Sword said:
It's happening.
You're doing it wrong, man!

Jul 9, 2013 8:48 AM

Aug 2011
imperlast said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
i hope thats a result, so far its the 7th most funded animation project on kick starter and still plenty of time left i seen something on tumblr that said if it keeps this trend it could raise over 2 million and im sure if it got to that we would get a full movie

Going off of this, it's on track to go over $3,000,000. Of course it's extremely unlikely to reach that, as the donations will slow down a lot by the time August rolls around.
Jul 9, 2013 8:48 AM
Nov 2008
I wish some other studios will do the same. D:
Jul 9, 2013 8:54 AM

Jun 2009
mitch3315 said:
imperlast said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Going off of this, it's on track to go over $3,000,000. Of course it's extremely unlikely to reach that, as the donations will slow down a lot by the time August rolls around.
thanks for the info i was goign off somethign serval hours old
Jul 9, 2013 9:01 AM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
supermegasonic said:
i still need to watch that god damn OVA, never thought it would have been this interesting to garner this much support. i thought death billiards would be getting this kinda treatment

I watched both of them and I liked Death Billiards much more tbh, so I wasn't expecting this one to get such a treatment. But ppl seem to love it so I'm happy for them, and I'll watch this anyway.^^
Jul 9, 2013 9:05 AM

Sep 2011
mitch3315 said:
imperlast said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Kickstarter always works like this, theres going to be a huge influx of support at the start of the campaign, after a week it will slow down considerably and just kind of linger until the final week where it will pick up again

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 9, 2013 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
Holy, first day and funded already.

Any dollar for wallpaper? $20 for legal digital download of movie+artbook? $50 for BD disc and printed artbook? That's quite generous. I would like to order one if I have the money for it (and any payment account), sadly I haven't. I hope more people would buy it so I can see this as the most funded animation project in Kickstarter! Would love to see moar Japanese company to be aware of the power of non-Japanese fans!
Jul 9, 2013 9:57 AM

Oct 2007
I think the main reason I like this result is that apparently this got almost no Japanese support and thus it potentially shows straight up that Western fans can have a major impact on the anime industry and hopefully ever so slightly loosens the core otaku stranglehold on the minds and attention of the industries producers. If more instances like this could happen the possibilities would be huge. The industry would no longer have to fear the otaku backlash in boycotts and just general lack of interest for every sort of idea that doesn't strike their fancy and the door opens to so many new ideas getting green-lit that never would have otherwise.

Little Witch Academia was a fun little short and I'm glad there'll be more, but I hope the repercussions and shock waves within the industry will be greater yet. That's my main interest here.

And this isn't to totally knock the Japanese fans, but when you see a little upstart studio like Trigger all but establish itself as the darling of the Western Fandom in a little under a year it says a lot to me about the differences in opinion on the direction anime should be heading between the two cultures. I don't think anime needs saving, just an environment where good interesting ideas can prosper like in the 80's and 90's. It hasn't had that in a while, but it keeps inching ever closer back to the environment that created what many call the Golden Age of Anime.
PeacingOutJul 9, 2013 10:04 AM
Jul 9, 2013 10:00 AM

Apr 2013
Damn, I'm impressed that they were able to get that much in just a day. Goes to show just how much people loved the first LWA.
I'm also backing this, but if possible I'd like to exchange all of my $100 backer benefits for an Inferno Cop figure.
Jul 9, 2013 10:01 AM

Jun 2013
10K$ pledge? Damn, someone's loaded.

Never heard about this anime until a few days ago, and it doesn't seem very... spectacular? But if it's getting this much attention I guess it's worth checking out. If it's as good as people are making it out to be i'll definitely pledge for the blu-ray.

Edit: Estimated delivery: Apr 2015?! Woah, Trigger sure are taking their time with a 35 min OVA...
Jul 9, 2013 10:11 AM

Oct 2007
SouthPacific said:

Never heard about this anime until a few days ago, and it doesn't seem very... spectacular? But if it's getting this much attention I guess it's worth checking out. If it's as good as people are making it out to be i'll definitely pledge for the blu-ray.

Edit: Estimated delivery: Apr 2015?! Woah, Trigger sure are taking their time with a 35 min OVA...

I agree it's charming but I think it's more what it stood for to people compared to other anime of the current era that made it such a hit on Western forums. For some reason it got a lot of praise for shirking moe conventions when to be honest the main character kind of fulfills the genki girl trope and her rival/friend Dianna essentially filled the ojou-sama tsundere trope to a T, the latter of which is extremely popular right now if not the most popular female character archetype at the moment period. For this reason perhaps it's the hipster cred it had in being so well-animated by a total upstart studio that brought LWA to such popularity over here.
Jul 9, 2013 10:11 AM

Aug 2012
Sweet.
Jul 9, 2013 10:15 AM

Dec 2012
I'm impressed by this project. I've heard many people outside Japan wanting to save the anime industry, let's see whether they can truly walk the walk.

Kaioshin_Sama said:

Spot-on observation as usual man. It would be interesting to see the scope and pocket of international fans (I refrain myself from calling them Western fans because a very large chuck of international fan base is located in East and South Asia where the culture is similar of Japan itself)
Jul 9, 2013 10:16 AM

Jul 2010
The first time Production I.G posted project on Kickstarter, i knew this is going to be great. Many more project will come and hopefully fans will get even better productions.
Jul 9, 2013 10:29 AM

May 2008
I'm glad this short is getting a sequel. It was pretty fun and it's nice to have a change of pace every now and then.

I'm still waiting on my award for Kick-Heart though. Hopefully it won't be too long...
Jul 9, 2013 10:31 AM

Feb 2012
Was it really that good? I haven't seen this movie I guess I need to watch it.
Jul 9, 2013 10:32 AM

Sep 2012
Now aim for an TV series.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Jul 9, 2013 10:38 AM

Mar 2012
SouthPacific said:

LWA doesn't have a spectacular story or anything (not that it's bad...), but it more than makes up for it elsewhere. There's so much charm and ingenuity oozing out of every frame of animation that it puts most other anime to shame. Also, Trigger is comprised of a lot of what used to be Gainax's most talented people that left to form a studio where they could have more freedom to create whatever they wanted. They sort of embody creative freedom in anime in the minds of many (an all too rare thing, these days), and this Kickstarter is really the next logical step in that direction. Not to mention that this is a huge step forward in general, for reasons Kaioshin_Sama has already gone over.

So yeah, I think it's just a combination between LWA being amazingly animated and charming as hell, and people wanting to support "the good guys", Trigger. That's my rationale behind backing it, anyway.
NotDolphyJul 9, 2013 10:50 AM
Jul 9, 2013 10:40 AM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think the main reason I like this result is that apparently this got almost no Japanese support and thus it potentially shows straight up that Western fans can have a major impact on the anime industry and hopefully ever so slightly loosens the core otaku stranglehold on the minds and attention of the industries producers.
Depends on what Japanese support you are talking about. Japanese fan support for the extension - right, there seems to be little from Japan. The core part of the sequel? The fund must have come from Japan as the decision was already made to make a 20min sequel. So the impact from the western fans is for the 15min extension. Now I am not saying that western fans are not making impact. They do in this case and I think it is great, but I would qualify any statement that "Little Witch Academia 2" got no Japanese support or the sequel is only possible because of western fans. I know you are not saying that, but I cannot help feeling some may take thing into that direction.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
I don't think anime needs saving, just an environment where good interesting ideas can prosper like in the 80's and 90's. It hasn't had that in a while, but it keeps inching ever closer back to the environment that created what many call the Golden Age of Anime.
I never believe there is a Golden Age of Anime. I just think that people like to remember the good things in the past and diminish the improvements we are enjoying for granted now. I still see good interesting ideas coming up now but I would agree that there is also trend that anime in general is heading that may not please fans of certain style or genre, and a diversity of funding channels should indeed allow more kinds of anime to be made. At the end I believe in expanding the pie and getting new fans, not trashing the existing fans just because they enjoy something that you happen not to like.
symbvJul 9, 2013 11:13 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 9, 2013 10:42 AM

Oct 2012
3 hours.. that's really impressive. Trigger deserve every penny they get. Hopefully we'll get a movie if this keeps up. Well, I can't wait for the sequel but it's going to be a long wait.
Jul 9, 2013 10:51 AM

Jul 2009
DANG.

I guess this is a sign, that I need to get a movin' on watching this.
Jul 9, 2013 11:03 AM

May 2012
Nice but dont really care about this anime. Now, if there was a kickstarter for more FMP, Haruhi and Spice + Wolf i'd be there day one!!!
Jul 9, 2013 11:06 AM

Jun 2012
Pledged $300 for shits n giggles.
Jul 9, 2013 11:41 AM

Oct 2011
Great news. I hope other studios due the same thing. Gonna show my support to LWA right now.
Jul 9, 2013 11:44 AM

Oct 2007
SouthPacific said:

They're only going to start working on it once they're done working on the kill-la-kill TV anime, so they'll start preproduction in Spring 2014.

Also, as much as I liked Death Billards,madhouse has never seemed interested in expanding on it while trigger had already said they wish they could expand on LWA even before it was released.
Also even if Madhouse would be interested, they're not as open to western fans as trigger is so they'd likely wouldn't have considered kickstarter.
Meanwhile someon on Twitter suggested to the person running Trigger's english twitter account (trigger might be the only anime studio with an english twitter account) that they should try out kickstarter and after looking into it they decided to try it out
totoumJul 9, 2013 11:51 AM
all for fun.fun for all
Jul 9, 2013 11:44 AM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think the main reason I like this result is that apparently this got almost no Japanese support and thus it potentially shows straight up that Western fans can have a major impact on the anime industry and hopefully ever so slightly loosens the core otaku stranglehold on the minds and attention of the industries producers.
Depends on what Japanese support you are talking about. Japanese fan support for the extension - right, there seems to be little from Japan. The core part of the sequel? The fund must have come from Japan as the decision was already made to make a 20min sequel. So the impact from the western fans is for the 15min extension. Now I am not saying that western fans are not making impact. They do in this case and I think it is great, but I would qualify any statement that "Little Witch Academia 2" got no Japanese support or the sequel is only possible because of western fans. I know you are not saying that, but I cannot help feeling some may take thing into that direction.

That's just what I heard so it's pure rumor for now. Though it really doesn't entirely strike me as something Japanese fans would be interested in much in the first place though. No idols, no hugely popular light novel source, unorthodox visual style etc.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
I never believe there is a Golden Age of Anime. I just think that people like to remember the good things in the past and diminish the improvements we are enjoying for granted now. I still see good interesting ideas coming up now but I would agree that there is also trend that anime in general is heading that may not please fans of certain style or genre, and a diversity of funding channels should indeed allow more kinds of anime to be made. At the end I believe in expanding the pie and getting new fans, not trashing the existing fans just because they enjoy something that you happen not to like.

In terms of a time when producers/directors/writers were more willing to take risk with their products and it was more likely to be rewarded if their was artistic merit to what they created I think there was something of a Golden Age of OVA's and the odd TV series. Nowadays it feels like the only companies willing to take on any sort of risk with an idea that comes by their doors are the old school ones. I don't see something like Short Peace getting animated at any other studio but a Sunrise type or by Otomo starting up his own production team in the worst case scenario (luckily he got picked up and gained access to the resources he needed) and likewise I don't see something like Psycho Pass where the writing staff outright says they are trying to avoid using the term moe in brain storming sessions getting animated outside of an I.G type per se.

I look to something as visually creative and absolutely stunning as Redline or Lupin III - Mine no Fujiko the most visually interesting TV series I've seen this decade so far and one I consider vastly underrated/underappreciated (just as an aside it is one of only 5 productions since 2010 to score a 9/10 or higher with me, the others being Chihayafuru season 1, Tiger and Bunny, Colorful (Movie) and Eve no Jikan (Movie) which will not work with Ubbcode)how both bombed (the former all but ruining Takeshi Koike financially) and can't help but curse the current environment in Japan that seems to have eyes only for shows that look and make them feel a certain way. I think both would have done great in the 80's or 90's though it's impossible to tell.

And yes I'm talking about expanding the horizons of what can be done with the anime medium and not utterly ruin the people involved like a Redline scenario. I'll leave the trashing existing fans to other people, I know a few fan groups in particular that are quite good at that sort of thing. I don't begrudge people for what they like so much as how they going about showing that appreciation after all. If somebody needs to enjoy something by putting other things down I think that's a case of misplaced priorities.
PeacingOutJul 9, 2013 11:50 AM
Jul 9, 2013 11:45 AM

Feb 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think the main reason I like this result is that apparently this got almost no Japanese support and thus it potentially shows straight up that Western fans can have a major impact on the anime industry and hopefully ever so slightly loosens the core otaku stranglehold on the minds and attention of the industries producers. If more instances like this could happen the possibilities would be huge. The industry would no longer have to fear the otaku backlash in boycotts and just general lack of interest for every sort of idea that doesn't strike their fancy and the door opens to so many new ideas getting green-lit that never would have otherwise.

Little Witch Academia was a fun little short and I'm glad there'll be more, but I hope the repercussions and shock waves within the industry will be greater yet. That's my main interest here.

And this isn't to totally knock the Japanese fans, but when you see a little upstart studio like Trigger all but establish itself as the darling of the Western Fandom in a little under a year it says a lot to me about the differences in opinion on the direction anime should be heading between the two cultures. I don't think anime needs saving, just an environment where good interesting ideas can prosper like in the 80's and 90's. It hasn't had that in a while, but it keeps inching ever closer back to the environment that created what many call the Golden Age of Anime.
I think you're getting too ahead of yourself here over just one show/studio.

All this kickstarter does is help FUND extra runtime to the sequel. It doesn't make it profitable since they're already giving the discs for those that pledge a certain amount.

The industry wont start catering to western audiences just because all of a sudden *small* studios can get their projects funded by them.

99.9% of the money is still in Japan where they can actually make money off mangas/discs, as opposed to the west where most people pirate ( torrents, scanlation sites, etc ).

Best case scenario, kickstarter for the anime industry follows the game industry - surge of indies. We've seen how indies through kickstarter has impacted the game industry - it's made very little impact in the grand scheme of things.

It has resulted in some cool indie games being developed ( Star Citizen is one I'm looking forward to ), but big name publishers have largely ignored it since it is a niche market. The same thing will happen in the anime industry if kick starter gains traction.
Jul 9, 2013 11:56 AM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Though it really doesn't entirely strike me as something Japanese fans would be interested in much in the first place though. No idols, no hugely popular light novel source, unorthodox visual style etc.
Maybe, maybe not. Crowdfunding is something new in Japan anyway and it is a way to reach out to new fans as well as existing fans, so it is hard to tell whether it may attract people who are not the usual otaku type. It is something any member of the public can participate anyway.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
In terms of a time when producers/directors/writers were more willing to take risk with their products and it was more likely to be rewarded if their was artistic merit to what they created I think there was something of a Golden Age of OVA's and the odd TV series.
Well, some of the risks might not be really risks as at that time big-name sponsors were much more likely to put in good money on anime projects which make long series a common sight. The business model has changed so much now. Remember there was not even any midnight anime in 80s and 90s, so any comparison of risk-taking between the anime back then and anime now (those we watch are now mostly midnight anime not those shounen/family/kid anime broadcast in the evening or morning) is not really fair. If there is anything to blame it is not the directors or writers, but how the bigger socio-economic trend is moving which leads to big sponsors to withdraw from putting money on anime and pushing non shounen/family/kid anime to midnight slots (which actually leads to the opening of less censored anime - though some may find this objectionable rather than something to be celebrated).

Kaioshin_Sama said:
I look to something as visually creative and absolutely stunning as Redline or Lupin III - Mine no Fujiko (the most visually interesting TV series I've seen this decade so far and one I consider vastly underrated/underappreciated. Just as an aside it is one of only 4 productions since 2010 to score a 9/10 or higher the others being Chihayafuru season 1, Colorful, ) and Tiger and Bunny)how both bombed (the former all but ruining Takeshi Koike financially) and can't help but curse the current environment in Japan that seems to have eyes only for shows that look and make them feel a certain way. I think both would have done great in the 80's or 90's though it's impossible to tell.
This is exactly what I said, there are people who don't like anime not being made to their preference, but that does not really mean no interesting good idea is coming up - just that those interesting good ideas come up in areas that they may feel indifferent or ambivalent (or even hate). And I doubt the two would really have done great in 80s and 90s -- it is impossible to tell anyway.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
19 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
30 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
4 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.