Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2012 3:31 AM

Jun 2011
Not bad. Actually pretty interesting.
Looking forward to the next episode.
Sep 30, 2012 3:42 AM

Sep 2012
Vizi_Reality said:
BatoKusanagi said:
Very nice. Dark atmosphere as if something bad was about to happen all the time a la Another. And the ending was catchy as hell lol
A little confused with the terminology though, but they'll probably explain exactly what happened in this episode.
Anyway, will keep watching. Oh, btw, does anyone know how many episodes will this anime have?

It's confirmed 25 episodes

Good, that explained this rather slow start.
Sep 30, 2012 3:42 AM

Sep 2011
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. UTW subbed it, and Crunchyroll is doing the later broadcast.
Sep 30, 2012 3:44 AM
Jan 2011
I just watched the first episode, and as I'm writing this comment, I'm trembling and almost bursting into tears.

This anime is... incredible. This is the very first impression I have. I just can't find any other words to describe it.

I fell in love with its dark, mysterious and at the same time, magical atmosphere. I love the music, which intensifies its the gloomy and disturbing climate. BGM is a masterpiece, and the ending song is in my opinion the best anime song of this year. Not much is known about the intrigue or characters, but what is shown in the first episode is enough to convince me to watch it every week.

I'm... enchanted. Words can't discribe my feelings right now. It's just this one episode, but I can say that I love this show, but watching it will be painful at the same time, because I just know I'm going to love it more and more.
Sep 30, 2012 3:48 AM

Sep 2011
mijuku-nii said:
I just watched the first episode, and as I'm writing this comment, I'm trembling and almost bursting into tears.

This anime is... incredible. This is the very first impression I have. I just can't find any other words to describe it.

I fell in love with its dark, mysterious and at the same time, magical atmosphere. I love the music, which intensifies its the gloomy and disturbing climate. BGM is a masterpiece, and the ending song is in my opinion the best anime song of this year. Not much is known about the intrigue or characters, but what is shown in the first episode is enough to convince me to watch it every week.

I'm... enchanted. Words can't discribe my feelings right now. It's just this one episode, but I can say that I love this show, but watching it will be painful at the same time, because I just know I'm going to love it more and more.

Exact thoughts I had, at the start (Watching it atm) all I see is bodies dying and blood going all over I was like O__O"
Sep 30, 2012 3:49 AM

Mar 2011
Absolutly loved this, the tension and the atmosphere of the whole episode was just amazing.
Sep 30, 2012 3:54 AM

Jul 2012
eh... i have no idea of what this is about?! >.>
O'Hai :D
Sep 30, 2012 3:57 AM
Dec 2010
This shit seems to me like it's gonna get really dark and twisted really fast. Just the way I like it.
Sep 30, 2012 4:07 AM

Sep 2011
Bloody sound affects at 18:40 scared the shit out of me. I don't watch much horror so Q_Q.

Reiko disappeared, GG. Did anyone else notice how the teacher stopped suddenly when Reiko was walking down the stairs?
TyrelSep 30, 2012 4:11 AM
Sep 30, 2012 4:15 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Kugutsue said:
I wonder if I watched the same episode you guys have. The artwork is bad and the story is all over the place making it difficult to grasp. I'll give it another chance though.

Art is good, get you eyes checked or look for a higher quality source...

As for the story... this is only the first episode, aside from the synopsis we don't know what it is yet.
Sep 30, 2012 4:22 AM

Feb 2011
Mhm am I missing something ? Is this supposed to be a scary series or what ? Anyway looks promising
Sep 30, 2012 4:49 AM

Sep 2011
UnbornMVs said:
Mhm am I missing something ? Is this supposed to be a scary series or what ? Anyway looks promising

It has Supernatural as a genre.
Sep 30, 2012 4:57 AM

Jun 2011
Jeller said:
eh... i have no idea of what this is about?! >.>

From what I have grasped from the first episode and the synopsis, it seems that it's about a distance future where the people have telekinetic abilities and psychic powers. To top it off, it appears that something mysterious and bizarre is lurking in the background. Well, only the first episode is released so far and I think a lot is yet to be unraveled.
Sep 30, 2012 5:01 AM
Apr 2012
The music, the art, the animation, the story, the everything.
Thank you Japan i love you.
Sep 30, 2012 5:08 AM

Jan 2012
bottosai-01 said:
Not really sure if I should continue with this. The intro thing made it seem really interesting and hopefully they explain that bit sometime soon. I liked the music and the lighting is great a nice dark tone. The character designs however are really generic and hard to tell apart... as usual per anime of this era, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

The main cast is already too big though, so I don't see how they're going to go about developing these characters. As for the main char shes way to easy to anger and her shouting voice is not easy on the ears >_<. It seems like its following the basic formula of MC and her friends at school... which is pretty disappointing as it looked to be more of a fantasy show at first. There also seems to be some elements of mystery a long with the supernatural aspect... Feels like a slightly darker Hyouka atm, but I'll keep watching and hopefully this gets better.

This my exact thought. Based on this episode, I'm not really too fond of the characters. I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide if I want to spend my time watching it. So far, the only thing keeping me to this is the air of mystery with the cat/children and the beginning scene.

And for some reason I am remind of the Digimon movie when watching this, and I don't know why.
Sep 30, 2012 5:14 AM

Mar 2011
Hmmm...

Intriguing.

Reminds me of something though, I'm sure I read a book a while back that was pretty much the same synopsis judging by the MAL blurb paragraph. Hmmm...
Sep 30, 2012 5:15 AM
Feb 2012
Thus the fall season begins for me. And it does so with UTW's release.

Shinsekai Yori looks like it has an interesting premise. We shall see how it continues.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Sep 30, 2012 5:18 AM

Sep 2008
Honestly, it bored me. Still, it looks promising.
Sep 30, 2012 5:33 AM

Apr 2010
I am really liking this the secrecy makes it really interesting and it gives a sense of mystery not to mention the main character being insecure because of it.
It gave sense of corruption a society that only want the best individuals reaching adulthood everyone the deem unfit is taken care of.
Not to mention trying to influence people with bad story's about spirits and such seems like someone is spreading some major propaganda.
Tho i have to say some of it seemed real.
Sep 30, 2012 5:40 AM

Sep 2012
:O

looks like the majority is loving the episode. LOL.

personally found it quite boring (but creepy which adds to the interest value?), and the characters are not totally likeable. just... bland.
Sep 30, 2012 5:51 AM

Nov 2009
I'm gonna pick this show up, as the first show of the fall season.

Mystery, supernatural, based on the atmosphere I think thriller/horror genre would also fit the series.

The start was rather slow, but I like it, I really like the dark theme and its atmosphere disturbed me, I felt like the whole village was setting up something and there would be nasty secrets waiting to be dig up.
Music fits the show quite well.

Tyrel said:
Bloody sound affects at 18:40 scared the shit out of me. I don't watch much horror so Q_Q.

Reiko disappeared, GG. Did anyone else notice how the teacher stopped suddenly when Reiko was walking down the stairs?

That scene was a hint that something would happen to Reiko, my assumption was correct, she disappeared. Poor girl, she might be dead. I'm waiting for the next ep, someone gotta reveal their dirty little secret ._."

But after reading the summary on MAL, I'm sure that Saki will find out something and notify the group, thus begin their escaping from the village.
Sep 30, 2012 6:22 AM

Dec 2011
This anime shows the potential of this season. Can't wait for more.
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Make a contract with me... /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
Sep 30, 2012 6:28 AM

Aug 2012
This first episode was fucking good, wasn't it. I liked the art a lot. I hope they squeeze more the idea of the beggining, I mean the actual scene and all that.

PD, the story that the redhead reads was like 'YOU KIDS DON'T GET OUTTA THE VILLAGE MOTHAFUCKA'.
Sep 30, 2012 6:43 AM

Aug 2008
The beginning felt like horror so much!
The animation is great and the story is original. :)
Sep 30, 2012 7:01 AM

Nov 2011
I thought this episode was quite good -- I honestly had no idea what was going on half the time but I'm excited to see how the story and mysteries lay out uwu
魔法少女グレイシー
Sep 30, 2012 7:04 AM

Jul 2010
Well, it's definitely original and creepy.Really dark atmosphere with some good bgm.Cant say i disliked it, but still...im not like super shocked because its so good.First impression? 7/10, but i will wait till next episode with rating.

4/5 really creepy start for fall.
Sep 30, 2012 7:05 AM

Jan 2012
Should be an interesting watch. The first episode was rather good.

Sep 30, 2012 7:24 AM

Mar 2012
...that was boring as fuck tbh, but at least it looked good.
Sep 30, 2012 7:25 AM
Aug 2011
The last 5 minutes was my favorite part, but the beginning had defiantly caught my attention. A person who had powers went batshit insane and slaughtered a bunch of civilians.

Since I greatly enjoy psychic powers and such. I'll continue this one.

5/5
Sep 30, 2012 7:26 AM

Jun 2009
This was rather intriguing. I like the atmosphere and overall mysterious feel this gives off, setting is pretty interesting. Visual side is really good, those simple character designs compose well with the rest and bgm fits with everything as well.
Looking forward to see the mysteries of this world unveiled.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Sep 30, 2012 8:03 AM
Sep 2011
joshua_mai said:
Lol, this anime scared me and if doesn't even have horror tag *look at Another* .
spoiler ahead: character relationship chart
http://i31.servimg.com/u/f31/11/31/41/30/13484110.jpg

Is that for real?!
Sep 30, 2012 8:18 AM

Feb 2008
I can already feel the dark theme from the beginning ath this episode, actually looks interesting.

Reika gone from the academy.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Sep 30, 2012 8:21 AM
Apr 2011
joshua_mai said:
Lol, this anime scared me and if doesn't even have horror tag *look at Another* .

Okay, now I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I hope the anime doesn't have any yaoi or yuri, especially yaoi.
Sep 30, 2012 8:23 AM
Sep 2012
I found it really boring until the end, which got me hooked.
Sep 30, 2012 9:08 AM

Jul 2010
this and Psycho-pass will be the highlight of the season for me :D
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Sep 30, 2012 9:09 AM

Jan 2011
The introduction was a bit boring, bu the last few minutes were really good.
This show really has potential and I'm looking forward to more.
joshua_mai said:

I was like: Don't click it, it's a spoiler.
But my brain said click it... click it...
I ended up clicking it but it isn't that big of a spoiler imo, signs of some of those relations were already in this episode.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Sep 30, 2012 9:12 AM

Aug 2012
This first episode was awesome in terms of drawing the viewer into the world and creating atmosphere. I hope it continues being this good, and that the characters get some nice development in the upcoming episodes because they are a bit unremarkable right now compared to the world itself. But I'm sure they will since this series seems like it's got a lot to set-up. :)
Sep 30, 2012 9:26 AM

Jun 2010
Wooooooah. Was not expecting this. Awesome! Fantastic episode in so many ways! No time to detail it but yeah! Wish the next episodes will be this awesome. What a way to start the Fall Season!
Sep 30, 2012 9:31 AM

Sep 2012
This episode was boring but I can't expect all the action to happen in the first episode. Besides that, good animation and it looks like we'll have some original characters. Can't wait to see the story and soundtrack of this anime. I have high expectations for this series ")

----

Kana dubbing Maria - Cutest voice ever. I can identify it from miles away lol
DELiTOSep 30, 2012 9:38 AM
Sep 30, 2012 9:42 AM

Jul 2010
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/character/saki14.html

can't wait to see them grown up
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Sep 30, 2012 9:43 AM
Sep 2011
joshua_mai said:

I don't think that's true.

I mean, look at this PV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J-Vw9WfQs4

1:33 - 1:52
Sep 30, 2012 9:50 AM

Sep 2009
Slightly confusing, but looks good.
Sep 30, 2012 9:51 AM

Apr 2008
The characthers in group 1 is so similar to each other, I won't be able to remember who is who, except for the pink/red haired girl, becaus of the hair color and who she's voiced by(Mayuri from Steins Gate).

But it seems like it'll be an interesting one.

Sep 30, 2012 9:55 AM

Feb 2012
This is how you kick off a show, I have pretty much no idea what's going on, it surprisingly has a horror vibe to it and somehow I feel reminded of Alive - The Final Evolution.
Sep 30, 2012 9:58 AM

Apr 2012
Started a lot darker than expected but it seems interesting.
The style of art was good in this first episode, like it, it's what I'd call classic, at least overall.

However, Satoru's already annoying the hell outta me.
Sep 30, 2012 10:16 AM

Mar 2010
REIKO NO! :(
Sep 30, 2012 10:19 AM

Aug 2011
Quite the interesting first episode. The opening was pretty intense.

Such a strange world and culture.

Kana Hanazawa sounds unrecognizable as Maria.

Saki is kind of annoying already. Better not devolve into tsunderity.

It's nice to see a 2 girl/3 guy ratio rather than the overused 3 girl/2 guy ratio (or the MANY girls/1 or 2 guys ratio).
Sep 30, 2012 10:51 AM

Jul 2011
Amazing start. Maybe the A-1 show with the strongest tone and mood I ever watched; somehow it looks a bit Shaft-y, and with animation in KyoAni level.
Now, let's hope it don't turn into another Another (...wow, this sounds so strange...)

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Sep 30, 2012 12:36 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
This is what I call a good SF start.

First episode of the new season makes it a quite promising start for Fall 2012.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 30, 2012 1:15 PM

Sep 2012
This show has done everything right so far.

The atmosphere is perfect. The artwork is great. The character designs are good and original. And they actually got through quite a lot of stuff in the first episode, so I'm not sure why so many people are complaining that it's boring. We're only 20 minutes in... Are we all ADHD kids here?

And of course the characters seem bland; we haven't given them a chance to develop. I dunno what anyone else was expecting, but I wasn't particularly looking forward to having larger-than-life caricatures in a realistic/serious anime, as real people are actually pretty bland. :) Keep in mind that most people become interesting by merit of their experiences. We just haven't got to see these characters experience anything yet.

Also, to the people worried about the relationship chart... It could be from the manga, which is a lot different to the novel. It added in a bunch of ecchi stuff that wasn't originally there. But as far as I'm aware, the anime is an adaptation of the novel. But whether those relationships remain intact is beyond me.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.