Forum Settings
Forums

Director Sato Tatsuo Eliminates Romance From Moretsu Pirates and Lagrange

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 17, 2012 4:07 PM

Apr 2011
jmal said:
Redtheundead said:
So instead of having 24 minutes of two characters slobbering over each other, falling into/accidentally grabbing breasts, and running into one another in various states of undress but ultimately getting fucking nowhere in their relationship we can have actual plot progression?

Because there's no such thing as romance without the above...? If you trust the guy to present a great show you ought to trust him to handle romantic relationships well, if he had wanted to go that route.

It's okay that he doesn't, and I've already said that I'm not too broken up over this news, but the way people are immediately and unequivocally equating romance = fanservice rubs me the wrong way (there's nothing like what you describe in, say, Hourou Musuko or Clannad or something, damnit).

If he avoids excessive fanservice in these shows it won't be because he excluded romance... it'll simply be because he didn't want to make them fanservicey.

There is such things, yes, but most shows with 'romance' these days consist of such. Even if the romance was done well, I would still rather be without it, because you don't need romance in these shows, and I didn't expect that there would be any in rinne or moetsu, either. Why would any of the two shows need romance? Rinne would do great as a show about friends bonding, and moestu would do great by showing off the chemistry of the entire pirate crew instead of detracting from that by dedicating time to just two people.

Clannad was different as it was almost purely a love story, and there wasn't anything along the lines of, say, "oh i may be attracted to you for no reason other than the fact that we promised each other something when we were 4 but i'll just avoid the issue while our relationship gets nowhere also i'm a loli vampire demon and we need to defeat the bad guys while the camera takes 20 shots of my underwear and the evil tentacle monster molests me." It wasn't an action show-it was a romance show and it knew that. However, 08th MS Team was an example where romance actually fit in a more action-y show, since it made a point about how there is no 'bad guy' in a war, and that the two sides are actually more similar than they'd like to believe. Instead of romance just for the sake of romance (and viewers), it was romance for the sake of a point that was trying to be proved. I just don't think that moetsu or rinne could be improved by pushing a love story in since they are neither about romance or could make a point through romance when, without it, it can already be done.
Jan 17, 2012 4:11 PM

Aug 2009
Yeah, save romance for the romance anime. Mouretsu Pirates is awesome so far :3

Jan 17, 2012 4:13 PM
Mar 2011
Ekvi said:

REad the Novel
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 17, 2012 4:27 PM

Jan 2010
Yeah Even if Pirates doesn't have Romance I'll most likely still watch it because from what I hear it has good reviews.
Jan 17, 2012 4:27 PM

Aug 2010
I wasn't really expecting romance from either of these shows, but still I was kinda hoping for it...
I'm still watching both either way.
Jan 17, 2012 5:01 PM

Mar 2009
"WAAAH WAAAH I WANT MY ANIME CHARACTERS TO BLUSH AND STUFF AND NEVER ADMIT THEY LOVE EACH OTHER FOR 26 EPISODES WAAAH!!!"

6 pages MAL? Seriously?
Jan 17, 2012 5:07 PM

Jul 2011
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS WOULD DROP A FUCKING SHOW JUST BECAUSE NO ROMANCE
THAT'S BEYOND RETARDED
Jan 17, 2012 5:07 PM
Mar 2011
Mormegil said:
"WAAAH WAAAH I WANT MY ANIME CHARACTERS TO BLUSH AND STUFF AND NEVER ADMIT THEY LOVE EACH OTHER FOR 26 EPISODES WAAAH!!!"

6 pages MAL? Seriously?

LOve is a slow process the end of love is fast all long term love is is a stave of of the fast process
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 17, 2012 5:40 PM

May 2009
Good.

I know it won't stop the shippers. But I fucking hate how anime fans seem to have the retarded notion that every close relationship has romance involved somehow. Some of them even carry it over into real life which results in naive and unhealthy perceptions of interpersonal relationships. They have this retarded black and white view that any sort of affection is romantic or sexual in nature, and that platonic love doesn't exist.

And so you get people who pander to this retarded shit because the shippers eat it up, and it ends up ruining otherwise good shows.
Jan 17, 2012 6:01 PM

Jun 2011
And I wonder why people make fun of anime fans. This stuff right here is comic gold. Keep it up MAL.
I'll be watching Moretsu Pirates and probably enjoying it.
Jan 17, 2012 6:05 PM

Mar 2011
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ^(>.<)^
Jan 17, 2012 6:18 PM

Sep 2008
Well guess what just got dropped by PoisonMoon
>.>
Jan 17, 2012 7:12 PM

Jul 2010
not cool, not cool at all... i'll still watch it though. :O

Jan 17, 2012 8:04 PM
Jul 2011
wakka9ca said:
Romance is only good when done right. If done slightly wrong, it's horrible.

Exactly. I love good romance, but I've seen manga/anime writers fail (spectacularly) at male-female-romance a few times too often (even when they're good at other things). Nowadays, when an anime obviously focuses on romance, I check it very thoroughly before watching it because of that.

So even though we're robbed of the chance for good romance, I'm glad that I don't have to be afraid of outdated romance cliches being rubbed in my face (I didn't read the manga - I've just grown wary).

And if it actually allows them to turn up the yuri vibes a bit, I'm completely sold on that ^^ Until now, I was only thinking about Madoka x Lan anyway :-P
Jan 17, 2012 9:04 PM

May 2011
I don't have a problem with this. It probably wouldn't been poorly done or forced anyways and just ended up ruining what could've been a great show.

And besides, there's enough romance or romantic potential in other shows. Change is nice.
Jan 17, 2012 10:14 PM

Aug 2009
TenkaseiRyo said:
Ekvi said:

REad the Novel

Nah, won't bother :D

Besides, not every single thing has to be just like the source material...

Jan 18, 2012 2:29 AM

Nov 2009
I'm actually glad to hear it. In my belief, no romance is cool because of the reason stated above:
Soshintsu said:
wakka9ca said:
Romance is only good when done right. If done slightly wrong, it's horrible.

Exactly. I love good romance, but I've seen manga/anime writers fail (spectacularly) at male-female-romance a few times too often (even when they're good at other things). Nowadays, when an anime obviously focuses on romance, I check it very thoroughly before watching it because of that.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 18, 2012 2:47 AM

May 2009
Thank god. Romance is freakin everywhere, especially where it doesn't belong. To anyone complaining about this decision, how about you go watch any other series in the world, because it'll probably have some crappy half-asses romance in it. Tru storie.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jan 18, 2012 3:53 AM

Feb 2010
Good thing, makes me look forward more to Mouretsu Pirates and tells me that I won't watch Rinne no Lagrange.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 18, 2012 7:26 PM

Jun 2010
Stuartxtr7 said:
Plot > Romance. Still going to watch it.
LOL @ the people dropping both shows.
MAL's community is retarded.

This
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Jan 18, 2012 11:16 PM

Apr 2009
I had no intention of watching Mouretsu Pirates anyway but Rinne no Lagrange was on my list. I like romance in my anime but I guess, as others said, it might as well not be added if it won't be done well. I'll look to Ano Natsu de Matteru for my romance fix then and stick with Lagrange for my...My-Hime-ish mecha anime (or so it sounds from the summary) fix.

Jan 19, 2012 10:07 AM

Jun 2008
Stuartxtr7 said:

I find it funny that people will say this when about half the responses, maybe more, have been happy about the news.
Jan 19, 2012 12:13 PM

Oct 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
Stuartxtr7 said:

I find it funny that people will say this when about half the responses, maybe more, have been happy about the news.

I disagree from what I seen there is more of those... I will drop it OR it makes no sense OR does yuri count?

I'm simply happy to see some new anime from creator of Stellvia or Shingu - which also don't have to much of romance (ok Stellvia doesn't)
Jan 20, 2012 4:52 AM

Nov 2010
This thread, well, the news only have little to explain precisely, because a director making an unexpected change in the plot or storyline gets an instant reaction from 2ch... so this news needs to be clarified.
I play, the haters lose.
Jan 21, 2012 1:24 PM
Apr 2010
Well, guess I'll be watching these shows now. Great news :D
Jan 21, 2012 2:16 PM
Jun 2009
allflying said:
what is with you guys crying over non-romance elements? Do you really that lonely so the lack of romance in an anime could give you a bad medicine?

Get over it.

You can express your opinion without offending everyone. Unless you're 10 years old, in which case I would understand the incapability.

But the lack of romance can't be so bad, unless it's somewhat important for the story and character development. In which case, the decisions the characters make and their actions wouldn't make much sense.

(Still, I'm baffled that some people can't express their reaction to this without offending those who have an opposing view. You don't have to be a jackass to express yourself. Learn how to communicate and discss properly, then come back. Otherwise, you're not fit to be on an organized community.)

Granted, they seem to be taking liberty when it comes to the source material, so who knows.
SSRB-LazyMuttJan 21, 2012 2:21 PM
Jan 22, 2012 7:43 PM
Apr 2010
Metaler said:

(Still, I'm baffled that some people can't express their reaction to this without offending those who have an opposing view. You don't have to be a jackass to express yourself. Learn how to communicate and discss properly, then come back. Otherwise, you're not fit to be on an organized community.)

This is the internet, people don't know how to express their opinion without throwing insults.
Jan 23, 2012 12:30 PM

Jul 2010
From what I have read, the romantic elements in Moretsu Pirates are between two of the more minor characters, but not Marika or Chiaki. (both members of the yacht club, so yes, a bit of shojo-ai, at least, if not yuri.) Though Marika's initial reaction when Chiaki transferred into class makes one wonder... (She blushed and thought, "She's cute!")
Jan 29, 2012 10:46 PM

Nov 2011
My dreams of cute yuri pirates have been crushed into oblivion.

That saddest part is that I had a dream the other night that I came onto this site and Moretsu Pirates had been officially listed as a 'shoujo-ai'.

... Actually it's pretty pathetic that I had a dream like that. BUT STILL.

IT HAS BEEN CRUSHED. D=
Jan 29, 2012 11:16 PM

Jun 2010
Still not going to stop the yuri fans from pairing people up. =P
Feb 1, 2012 4:51 PM
Aug 2010
No yuri, that's always a plus. I'm still not gonna touch the show though unless its somehow hot-bloodedly awesome. It might actually be more than another, often, pointless show where the main purpose is to showcase a bunch of cute girls for the fanboys to drool over. I still probably wouldn't touch it.

Also, this director never really does romance. The only romance I've seen was in "Stellvia" and it wasn't exactly major; it had just about the right amount to satisfy my taste considering the genre. The other is "Nadesico" but that romance was far from developed. The romance there was more for humor and to appease the harem fans.
BobjonesFeb 1, 2012 4:58 PM
Feb 4, 2012 9:25 PM

Feb 2012
i don't think everyone should jump to conclusions just yet. ;)

i meaning X-ing out the romance in moretsu, (for yuri fans) means no 'no-face' guys will make any appearance in the show what so ever...I absolutely hate when they add random characters in stories for romance elements. it is so annoying and terrible story writing.

BUT as he stated the 'unexpected' will happen, meaning something is going to throw us all off in the end. I think he really wanted to take a different approach and develop these characters naturally rather than forced pairings. i.e how the characters feelings would develop naturally as it would for people in real life with friends,etc....

this is just my 2cents. but all in all we can't really say much for these shows, that haven't even FINISHED airing.
Feb 5, 2012 4:17 PM

Jul 2009
Romanace is lousy in many anime's - whether or not romance is the initial genre.
Plus, highly zealous viewers who passionately shipping pairing won't have too much ammunition.
Good luck to him for doing something different! ; )

Feb 5, 2012 4:32 PM

Aug 2011
I didn't really expect much romance in either of those series to begin with, so this is no surprise. I mean, maybe a little one-sided yuri from Lan to Madoka, but that's about it.
Feb 5, 2012 8:07 PM

Sep 2010
Bleh. There didn't have to be any "cheesy romance" tacked on, but...couldn't there be -something-? I think stories should have everything included; action, comedy, and romance. Without one or two of those, it's boring to me. I mean...what would life be without a love story in it? Or...without jokes? Or...MASS MURDER?

Just saying...

Also: Why would you tell people that? Even if there is no directly romantic things happen, people will still ship things. But saying that sort of...discourages it. So, why?
livingdeadashFeb 5, 2012 8:14 PM
Feb 12, 2012 8:59 AM

Oct 2010
this sucks.
Feb 12, 2012 9:15 AM

Nov 2008
livingdeadkat said:
Bleh. There didn't have to be any "cheesy romance" tacked on, but...couldn't there be -something-? I think stories should have everything included; action, comedy, and romance. Without one or two of those, it's boring to me. I mean...what would life be without a love story in it? Or...without jokes? Or...MASS MURDER?

Just saying...

Also: Why would you tell people that? Even if there is no directly romantic things happen, people will still ship things. But saying that sort of...discourages it. So, why?

I'd like to have a break from romance, I see that in every single anime these days. Some friendship and sisterhood is a refresher.

Feb 19, 2012 6:18 AM

May 2011
Well no surprise, the main character is a girl after all.
Mar 4, 2012 12:30 PM

Mar 2011
Booooooooooooo!
Mar 5, 2012 8:10 PM

Aug 2009
I honestly don't mind Rinne no Lagrange going the shoujo ai way, but this news does make me wonder what kind of romance it would have had otherwise...
Mar 7, 2012 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
Having watched Rinne up until the latest episode before sutmbling upon this i can say this show is better for it's lack of romance.
Mar 13, 2012 3:04 PM

Dec 2007
Yarodomo said:
I love how people here think the romance in this topic is "Yuri", seriously, if it was the Yuri romance he eliminated, don't you think there'd be a darn riot? otakus would go rampage on the producers's arses.

Someone's not seen the sales of your average yuri anime...
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Mar 13, 2012 6:06 PM

Sep 2009
Holy shit that might actually make me watch it.
If it's not going to be some stupid retarded moe, weabo anime about romancuing the wifu.
Mar 13, 2012 6:16 PM

May 2010
no time for romance on the battlefield
Mar 13, 2012 6:22 PM

Jul 2007
dtshyk said:
Director Sato Tatsuo tweeted that he has excluded all the romance elements from Moretsu Pirates and Rinne no Lagrange. He said it's an experimental approach to compose the scripts focusing on the friendships without romance, but he believes something unexpected will be created in such an old-fashioned way.

Source: Sato Tatsuo's tweet

Someone's been watching ponies.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 26, 2012 2:08 AM
Jan 2011
Not much of a problem or a loss to me, though yuri romance between Chiaki and Marika would have been a plus ^^;;
Apr 4, 2012 2:47 AM

Jun 2010
That yuri teaser in the beginning of the last RnL episode was funny. XD Seems that movie production club is open to shipping those two.
Apr 8, 2012 6:43 PM

Apr 2009
This is great. Having romance all the time is cliche and boring and stupid. And the idiots you see on forums are always so stupidly annoying.
Apr 9, 2012 10:43 AM

Nov 2011
Well, I'm actually glad romance not present in either of these 2 series. A good break from the usual genre and I enjoyed part 1 of Rinne no Lagrange so far.
Apr 29, 2012 6:56 AM

Sep 2010
Seemed like this needed a bump after the last episode of Mouretsu Pirates lol

My own two cents is while every show does not need romance its also human nature and rather odd to have none at all in either of these series as these characters are all single people at the age when emotions and romance run rampant. Its like dumping one primary color out of your painting palette. Sure you can do it but all your doing is cutting out a significant key element of human nature. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the show at all but for it to be completely absent is just unrealistic.

edit-

figured this might need some background for people not following it...

GrimtempestApr 29, 2012 7:28 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by DarkDooM2 »»
41 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
Yesterday, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.