Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2011 11:46 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally it's out.

It felt a little strange jumping straight into a case without much of an introduction, but I guess they wanted it to be presented differently to the original. Madhouse seems to be mainly focusing on the action side of things by cutting out a lot of the case and reworking some events. It didn't really give me the same feeling the original does, but it still works quite nicely as an action horror anime imo.

I only watched a LQ version but the animation seemed really effective, especially at the transformation scene... Some faces did look strange at times though.

Given the much shorter time limit, I think the episode turned out pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next episodes, and it will also be nice to have 10 eps come out at once for a change.
llamabenFeb 23, 2011 12:13 AM
Feb 24, 2011 6:38 AM

Aug 2008
Ginga_Bishonen, thanks a lot!

I think that this will be great. I don't understand a lot, I will be waiting for english and polish subs... But I watched this episode on TV. xD So it is ok. ; )
I don't know it is a good idea to start in a center of the story. They didn't say much about their childhood, Jessica and their father. I know this story, but what with people which didn't watch TV series? But... Maybie they will say something later? And now they make something like "mystery past" or something?^^

Fierstly I didn't what to think about seiyuu, but now I think that the're good. But... Dean i a little strange for me. xDDD
I can't wait for the next episodes! xD
Feb 24, 2011 9:46 AM

Nov 2010
there were some scenes in the trailer that I think are about their childhood, I think they are gonna talk about it later on...
Feb 25, 2011 1:32 PM

Aug 2009
Yep, it definitely feels like Supernatural.

Feb 25, 2011 11:04 PM
Aug 2009
Wow, I understand most of dialogs even without subs, but now I'm watching dubbed version and it's so weird to hear Jared and Ansen as anime characters O.O But I think I'll get used to it.
Feb 27, 2011 5:47 PM

Nov 2009
Being a huge "Supernatural" fan I had a real buzz kill when I realized that i already watched this episode -_-, but then again it as still fun, the graphics are good, the Impala is still gorgeous, and watching it with American dub, made me realize that hearing Jared Padalecki as Sam, and Jansen Ackles as Dean is the only acceptable way of watching this show, so sorry Japan but I'm going with the dubbing. Anyway anime "Supernatural" is so far as good as the real "Supernatural', and seeing the old hunts(way better than the heaven vs hell arc) was a refreshing experience right after the not so good "A French mistake" episode.
Feb 27, 2011 5:58 PM

Dec 2007
I has good vibe....i will keep watching :P...but i have only eng dub version.....hope someone will pick it up
SalathielFeb 28, 2011 2:55 AM
[center]If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.
Feb 27, 2011 6:42 PM

Nov 2009
Alright I was mistaken, Dean is not voiced by Ackles, but the man doing the job is pretty similar, also "Carry on wayward son" as an ending theme, even if it's just a cover, was a nice touch. Can't wait for more episodes, and since it's an OVA and not a TV series I have to wait quite some time, but so far it's worth it.
Feb 27, 2011 7:48 PM

Nov 2010
I enjoyed it. tho idk why they didnt get Jensen as a VA, supposedly hes only going to do the last 2 eps of this season. kinda bummed about that. But ill keep watching, i hope they will do some new jobs tho and not just recreate ones that were on the tv series.
Feb 28, 2011 12:00 AM

Aug 2008
adis said:
Can't wait for more episodes, and since it's an OVA and not a TV series I have to wait quite some time, but so far it's worth it.
Actually, theres less of a wait. A box set of 10 episodes (3-12) come out on March 9, and another 10 on April 6 (13-22)... Though it seems that acouple of more eps (3-6) can be found or the net, so maybe there's some other source.
llamabenFeb 28, 2011 1:14 AM
Feb 28, 2011 9:45 AM

Jul 2007
Chalis said:
Yep, it definitely feels like Supernatural.

No no nono no nononononono.

Seasons 1-3 were the bet SN seasons ever. Id rather they stick and expand those before show went down into the horrible mess it is now.

Overall nice re-adaptation of shapeshifter storyline.

5/5
Feb 28, 2011 1:04 PM

Aug 2009
Very interesting show. I've seen some of the original TV series, and I find the feeling alike. It was pretty okay to watch this in English, even though I hate dubs, or generally animes with English voices. Got to check out the Japanese version too in order to see if it's more fit. I'm looking forward to this anime show.

Well, is this really a dub or "original"? The one who has made the script, his name looked pretty much American to me. I just think this means it was first written in English, that is, if you ignore the orignal series. Not written directly into Japanese, that is. Yeah, therfore it kind of didn't feel like some normal anime to me. It's a work made by a co-operation of Americans and Japanese people, yes, so it has touches of both Japanese and American style. I liked that. I still got the feeling that this was really Supernatural.
My point is, some earlier adaptions of American works have felt pretty much American, not so very anime-ish/Japanese. I don't know if they want it to feel more Japanese than American, though.
RodnessFeb 28, 2011 2:25 PM
Feb 28, 2011 2:38 PM

Jan 2010
Anime:

Show:

Feb 28, 2011 3:47 PM

Jul 2007
holypoop said:
Anime:

Show:

Yeah just noticed watching the second episode. :D

Serious serious serious win so far this series are.
Mar 3, 2011 2:38 PM

Jul 2008
So the anime wants to cover two full seasons and add in original episodes in one fourth of the time? Good luck.
Mar 6, 2011 2:56 PM
Mar 2010
So, is anyone subbing this? I've never watched the original TV show, but from what I've read and the trailers I've watched, it seems interesting.

I'd like to watch it without having to wait for the dub, or learn Japanese first. Either of which is probably going to take a while.
Mar 6, 2011 4:27 PM

Jun 2008
I think i saw this episode in the live series. Aren't they gonna make new stories?

Also due to the less time they have it seem like they can't show the search and investigating very much. This probably means they will be better when showing the advance plot were the episodes weren't investigating a certain case but fighting with all those evil guys.
Mar 7, 2011 8:16 AM

Nov 2009
Well most of season one was just random fillers anyway, they didn't do anything concerning Azazel for 3/4 of first season, so covering the biggest plot events(finding John Winchester, the esper offspring of Azazel and opening the gates to hell) is manageable.
Mar 9, 2011 1:51 PM

Nov 2010
an mkv version came out, has anybody check it out?
Mar 9, 2011 1:53 PM

Nov 2010
I forgot to put the site here:
http://kenpai.wordpress.com/
Mar 12, 2011 7:14 PM

Jan 2009
I didn't particularly like it - something was off.
Deans character is way too.. goofy(?) and everything was too fast paced (well the original is roughly 40 mins/ep).

I guess it was OK for an anime but I feel it had too many flaws compared to the original (and Sam is better looking than Dean? what's with that?)
Mar 13, 2011 11:58 AM

Oct 2009
That was pretty good, they changed quite a bit of the story but it was nice and the voices aren't too bad, kinda weird at first but its all good.
And loved that they used "Carry on my Wayward Son" as the ED song ^.^

*Re-watched in dub, great to see Jared voicing himself but too bad Jensen isn't and the other voices aren't too bad either i guess*
Mar 13, 2011 12:26 PM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
It's definitely interesting. I can't bring myself to hate it because Supernatural is one of my favorite shows, like ever.

The animation/character design is a bit weird but thats really my only complaint.
Mar 14, 2011 4:51 PM
Nov 2010
This episode was kinda pointless but it shown us what to expect from the series.
Mar 26, 2011 7:26 PM

Dec 2010
Woah, very very nice for the first episode. Might keep watching it, since it's interesting :D
Apr 9, 2011 12:37 PM

Feb 2010
Well, I watched the first on in English. It's nice to hear Jared voicing Sam, but not hearing Jensen is a little odd. I think Dean's character design was really my only gripe. It's too wide-eyed it seems. I like that they kept his womanizing, though.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

May 12, 2011 3:04 PM

Feb 2009
I liked the original episode somewhat more.Though the police chick sure was nice.It was a good episode nonetheless.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
May 16, 2011 5:55 PM

Jan 2008
I didn't really think this was pilot. It really got right in the action. I felt a bit indifferent about it so far. I like how Sam's character translated to animation, and voiced by Jared is a nice touch, but Dean (who is my favourite in the live action version) seems to be a lost cause in this one. I can't stand him.
Jan 25, 2012 11:16 PM

Sep 2009
That was a cover of Wayward son?
O.o

-confused-
Sounded like Kansas....
Jun 30, 2012 11:53 AM

Jun 2012
I dont think the animated version came anywhere close to the TV show. Im sorry but by what i've seen so far the TV show is far superior. I know that the episode is half the length of the tv show but they really left alot out and it felt extremely rushed.
Another point i want to make is that for the people that have seen the TV show its kind of like rewatching them. I already knew what was going to happen. For the people that havent watched the CW tv series it seemed like it would of been hard to actually understand what was going on. They just kind of threw you in there without any background or any explanation of what was going on.
I hope the series gets better from here and i hope that they put a twist or two somewhere so it isnt like i'm watching the same series again.
Jul 6, 2013 8:50 PM
Apr 2011
There's something off with Dean. :X
4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42

http://putridcheese.deviantart.com
http://www.booksie.com/tosh/
http://stoptazmo.com/
Aug 12, 2013 10:21 PM

May 2012
Haven't watched the original live version but this is interesting! I was confused for a moment there guessing who is who.
Aug 18, 2013 7:39 PM

Nov 2011
Finally started this today. I've been a fan of the Supernatural live action series fora while so this was a must-see for me.

So they adapted....the episode Skins which means that the dude in the beginning is a shapeshifter. Sam's voice fits his character but damn it, I think Dean's voice doesn't..it's a bit deep. It was better than I thought though at least in the OST department. Nice shot, Sammy.

Best part the classic music played @ the end just like the original series.
Oct 28, 2013 9:17 PM

Jul 2012
Sabinlerose said:
That was a cover of Wayward son?
O.o

-confused-
Sounded like Kansas....

The DVD release got the original instead of the cover, presumably because Warner Brothers has the actual rights to the song, as opposed to the Japanese release.

It's kind of interesting seeing this in the sort of Madhouse "house style" (which is basically emulating Yoshiaki Kawajiri).
Jul 26, 2014 1:26 AM

Jan 2012
my friend bought me the entire OVA 1-22 on dvd massive fan of the series and always thought 1-4 was the best days of Supernatural its been a while so it was nice seeing it from the beginning even though this episode was like on speed, but what can you expect if there trying to fit 2 seasons into 22 episodes with original episodes as well?!?!?!
Mar 17, 2015 7:30 PM

Aug 2012
Being a pretty big fan of Supernatural, at least the first five seasons, it's pretty cool to see it as an anime so it's unfortunate that the episode wasn't that good. Like, it looked nice & animated well, plus having Jared & Carry On My Wayword Son (with a little nod to Jensen's Eye of the Tiger days) was all nice but the plot wasn't that good especially compared to Skins. & not hearing Jensen hurts, wish they just waited for him to be available.
May 2, 2016 6:34 AM

Jan 2012
didn't know the show anime had anime adaptation , the start is not like show.

Jul 22, 2016 4:10 PM
Jun 2016
Had to admit it look similar to the TV series.
Still feel bad for the Wife who was killed by the Shapeshifter.
Also the female cop was lucky if now she would have suffer a similar fate as her friend.
Oct 15, 2016 9:38 AM

Oct 2015
I love Supernatural as a TV series, but this was only okay. I'm not going to say about how they changed a plot, however, 20 minutes is not enough to tell the whole story. I watched English dubbed version and as much as I wanted to hear their voices, I was disappointed. Still it was okay, but I expected more.
Mar 25, 2018 1:11 PM

Feb 2015
the only thing i'm asking is why did they make dean not look like ackles. sam looks like jared, by why dean? it's especially confusing to me since japan fetishes blonde hair and jensen is incredibly good looking as well. i thought they would have a field day with his character design, he's perfect.

also jared is a good voice actor, so there's a plus.
Apr 7, 2021 2:41 PM

Dec 2007
what the...? tried to watch it with the original japanese voices, but dean and sam voices was so not fitting, changed to eng dub and it made the whole theme much better. though sam not dubbed by the original actor, it was much better than the japanese sayuu, and we got jared as his character, couldn't asked for more :D

madhouse did great job transmitting the original series feeling into this, the only problem is making full 40 min episode into 20 minutes, kinda the whole investigation feel is removed, and it makes the story concentrating more on the supernatural genre than the police genre, i also feel that sam and dean interaction though to be untouched, felt really rushed. but once again, since it's limited to 20min it's understandable, and still fun to watch when i'm not with judging eye.

very good pick for starting episode, though i bet for someone who hasn't watched the original american series the whole theme might be surprising, while i didn't. the whole confusion of who-is-who done beautifully as well.

gotta give madhouse also a compliment about the animation, though it's only 720p, the scene with the the trees and view at the start was detailed and well.
May 1, 2022 12:08 PM

Feb 2018
Once I saw that Jared was voicing Sam I knew this was a dub MUST :P. First episode was pretty damn good and truly gave vibes of the TV show.. The Wayward Son at the end was the cherry on top!
Mar 18, 2023 6:15 PM
May 2022
The animation was nice, all though it was low quality animation they deffently put some time into it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Supernatural: The Animation Episode 12 Discussion

Aezile - Mar 27, 2011

9 by annamay69 »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:39 PM

Poll: » Supernatural: The Animation Episode 9 Discussion

Ape - Mar 25, 2011

14 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Nov 5, 2023 12:00 PM

Poll: » Supernatural: The Animation Episode 2 Discussion

Ahenshihael - Feb 28, 2011

19 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Oct 20, 2023 11:25 AM

Poll: » Supernatural: The Animation Episode 16 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Apr 15, 2011

5 by User-Name »»
Aug 31, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Supernatural: The Animation Episode 15 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Apr 15, 2011

4 by User-Name »»
Aug 31, 2023 6:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.