Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 10, 2010 12:02 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well...Joe's arc is finally over and he got to see his sister again. That was such a sweet moment at the end. I got chills when Joe sang a cappella. Even though he has to start at the bottom again, he won't have to deal with that bitch manager and the Five Lemons again.

Now we get to move on to Cabbage's arc. I actually LOL'ed during the episode preview when that guy kicked him in the face and he was still smiling while talking on the phone.
Aug 10, 2010 1:40 PM

Dec 2009
such an awesome episode, that dam women should of been delt with back there, ruined joe, lucky he got good friends that has his back all times. Glad joe got to see his sister.
looks like cabbage might be in some trouble now
Aug 10, 2010 1:44 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah, but we know that Cabbage's friends will be there to help him when he's in trouble, right? ^_^
Aug 10, 2010 2:06 PM

Dec 2009
Yup, they will
Those are some good friends to have, no matter the situation they will be there
Aug 10, 2010 3:14 PM

Sep 2009
wow, great ep... i was hoping joe could have gotten to the theater right on time, but of course, this isn't that kind of stereotypical series. every episode just keeps better and better, this is definitely one of the best shows of all time!
Aug 10, 2010 6:07 PM

Mar 2008
I figured the little messenger boy would bump into Mario, and that they'd ultimately rush Joe to the theater. But I felt so bad for him when his manager turned cold as ice, and his crowd was gone. But since he reunited with his sister and seems to be even stronger from all the events, perhaps it's better this way. Now time to see what's up with Cabbage.
Aug 10, 2010 6:18 PM

Dec 2009
The manager seemed to have forgotten how she p*ssed her pants when she didn't have the big tough guy with her..
Almost fell asleep this episode, it seems they just make an arc for each of them with some drama ..
Aug 10, 2010 6:52 PM

Aug 2009
The part when Joe was sing was so predictable. I knew Meg was gonna pop up.
Aug 10, 2010 7:24 PM

Feb 2010
Its nice to see Joe and Meg reunited =)
Aug 10, 2010 9:52 PM

Jun 2008
I'm happy to see this show has finally been getting good in the past few episodes. To think I almost dropped it after 7-8 episodes...

Also, I support JoexMeg.
Aug 11, 2010 12:24 AM

Dec 2009
cabbage arc?
righteous
Aug 11, 2010 2:22 AM

Apr 2009
the first part was cliche.. i thought all the episode would be like that

but the 2 part was pretty touchy.. it was still awesome.. good stuff..

lol Cabbage next? xD
Aug 11, 2010 3:35 AM

Dec 2007
yay Megu met his brother <3
Aug 11, 2010 3:35 AM

Feb 2010
still no real happy ends in this show
Aug 11, 2010 3:37 AM

Jan 2008
Third rate melodrama... why do I watch it I wonder. This is just like second arc of Death Note, poor scripting and over the top drama.

Question for manga readers: are all the arcs like that? (Hope - hope - despair - despair - katharsis) ?

3/5

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Aug 11, 2010 3:52 AM

Apr 2009
^rofl drama in 2 part in Death note ? are you serious? poor script? -_-

and dont expect something masterpiece from this show..
its just a show about these dudes, thats all..

i dont understand how you guys watching 19 episodes already, have no clue what the hell are you watching

rofl
Aug 11, 2010 4:05 AM

Jan 2008
smokes said:
^rofl drama in 2 part in Death note ? are you serious? poor script? -_-

and dont expect something masterpiece from this show..
its just a show about these dudes, thats all..

i dont understand how you guys watching 19 episodes already, have no clue what the hell are you watching

rofl

As for Death Note, mostly poor scripting. And rather than drama, lot of exaggeration which is similar to how it is shown in Rainbow.

I didn't expect a masterpiece but I didn't even imagine it to be almost a soap opera.
kashimAug 11, 2010 4:13 AM

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Aug 11, 2010 7:18 AM

Nov 2007
anyone find there is a plot hole in ep19?

is there a reason for the manager to not train Joe? i find that part of the story were poorly written..
there is simply not enough explanation on that
Aug 11, 2010 7:50 AM

Dec 2008
Poor Joe!! I'm so glad he and sister finally found each other in the end. I hope that bitch manager of his washes up dead in the river!

Marry me, Mario!!
Aug 11, 2010 8:10 AM

Dec 2009
I wonder how long this anime will be. We still haven't finished the story about everyone, but about Mario and Joe, why not make another arc where they finally gets trough? Mario winning in a boxing championship, and Joe getting a famous singer. Like they wished on the tree that time.

Awesome episode, this show is now one of my favorites :D.
Aug 11, 2010 9:37 AM

Apr 2009
Baronight said:

is there a reason for the manager to not train Joe?

she's a manager, so for her finding another talent wont be that difficult..
Aug 11, 2010 9:58 AM

Dec 2009
smokes said:
Baronight said:

is there a reason for the manager to not train Joe?

she's a manager, so for her finding another talent wont be that difficult..

they said that you don't really get another chance in the singing business, that's why joe was so cautious even to the point of leaving his friends
apparently
Aug 11, 2010 11:20 AM

Nov 2007
i would accept the plot, if Joe sing badly due to his injury, thus the manager do not want him anymore (bad reputation at early career) or she simply got new singer on her hand to play around with

which is why that idea never cross my mind...coz Joe didnt really fail in singing...
he simply didnt appear on the stage...

on side note...i hope Joe song will be release soon...can't wait for the full version of it
(hopefully they include the a cappella version too)
Aug 11, 2010 11:49 AM

Dec 2007
this is one of the most emotional episodes yet :*(
Aug 11, 2010 12:14 PM

Dec 2009
Baronight said:
i would accept the plot, if Joe sing badly due to his injury, thus the manager do not want him anymore (bad reputation at early career) or she simply got new singer on her hand to play around with

which is why that idea never cross my mind...coz Joe didnt really fail in singing...
he simply didnt appear on the stage...

on side note...i hope Joe song will be release soon...can't wait for the full version of it
(hopefully they include the a cappella version too)

I think it's more of the fact that he didn't show up for his first anticipated showing. He is a newbie and he let people down, to the point that they left.
I don't think his shows would sell out anymore, and he will lose popularity, and when you're aspiring to be a superstar, that's something you need when you're in your booming stage. The manager knew this and left to find some other singer.
Aug 11, 2010 10:13 PM

Jun 2009
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I feel so warm inside.
Deathtonavi said:
cabbage arc?
righteous
Aug 11, 2010 11:14 PM

Oct 2009
It's so obvious how they're going to end this show...

Aug 12, 2010 6:33 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
This anime reeks of drama and misfortune. When are these guys going to have a break.
Aug 12, 2010 7:52 AM

Mar 2010
joe found hsi sister good for him, His singing was the best made me cry, My favorite qoute "never Give up"

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 12, 2010 9:08 AM

May 2010
great and very emotional once again..but it kinda felt like this is the end..
Aug 12, 2010 9:16 AM

Dec 2007
I really like the song Joe was singing, maybe it will be officially released as a part of the soundtrack collection or something like that.

Other than that, another epic episode.
Aug 12, 2010 11:44 AM

Nov 2009
DareEvans said:
It's so obvious how they're going to end this show...

LOL thanks for the laugh. Moving on...

<block quote insert here about the manager>
Well first he got kicked out of his debut performance, which is the worste possible thing. Second he contacted his friends which she told him not to (weak point there). Third, she could of gotten tired of her plaything.

Although it was obvious he would meet his sister i am glad something unexpected happened; he didn't get to the show in time to sing. I know that their lives suck already but it would be out of character for a random cliche happy ending.
Aug 12, 2010 12:47 PM

Aug 2008
Even when the show isn't totally cliche, it's boring.

Basically everyone's individual arcs are going like this:
Happy, happy, happy, I get the courage to be totally fulfilled, my life is almost over, I didn't get my dream, but I got what I wanted.
Aug 12, 2010 10:33 PM

Jan 2010
THIS SHOW KEEPS GETTING WORSE AND WORSE. It took a nose dive after Sakuragi died.
Aug 12, 2010 11:29 PM

Jul 2008
well at least joe got his sister back
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Aug 13, 2010 2:10 AM

Apr 2009
rofl guys you dont even know what to complain about..

boring? seriously?

i didnt find anything boring, except the singing part.. which it actually needs to be that way, cause its a song..
Aug 13, 2010 12:23 PM

Nov 2007
you guys are whining too much...seriously, this is drama...
and no matter which direction you go....there will always be a complain...

if Joe get into concert, sing, meet her sister, get famous -> woaw cliche sh*t
if Joe sing like in ep19 -> OMG overkill melodramatic sh*t
if Joe walking, meet her sister on street and happy end -> WTF boring sh*t, no climax

see where is this going? you can twist drama whatever you want,
but the formula has been use and reuse in many way it can either be cliche, melodrama, boring or other.....
only at rare occasion something fresh will be introduce...

for ex: in Ep2 where Joe get caught, and Joe sister reject him and decide to accept her fate...
I was like "hmmm, this is not cliche...i didnt expect this, i tot he gonna run away with her sister and happy end"
then the rest of the people like "OMG this is so melodramatic...i knew bad thing will keep come one and another, gimme some tissue"
Baron85Aug 13, 2010 12:31 PM
Aug 13, 2010 2:32 PM

Dec 2008
Was I the only one who immediately thought of Queen's "We Are the Chapmions" after hearing Joe's song?
Aug 13, 2010 6:42 PM

Apr 2008
Maxi1234 said:
Was I the only one who immediately thought of Queen's "We Are the Chapmions" after hearing Joe's song?

You probably were, because I didn't think of it when I heard it. I don't see the two being similar other than having a hopeful sound to them.
Aug 14, 2010 12:26 AM

Jul 2010
Ugh.. shows going to go arc to arc about every character now.. That completely ruins this show..

It ruins everything that made it good for me.. You know the whole plotline thing ? ya..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 14, 2010 6:51 PM
Apr 2010
such a tear jerker :*)
Aug 14, 2010 8:02 PM

Aug 2007
Yeah, it's pretty clear that each character arc is going to be like Joe's -- overly dramatic, dramatic scenes, sappy drama, oh and some drama.

So inventive.
Aug 16, 2010 2:41 AM

Jun 2010
I cant tell if Cabbages arc will be somewhat comedic or not, but considering the shows premise, unfortunately it probably wont.
Aug 17, 2010 6:35 PM

Aug 2010
Yay for Joe! he finally reunited with his sister
Aug 17, 2010 10:50 PM
Feb 2009
w0ot joe was finally reunited with his little sis
Aug 21, 2010 11:10 AM

Jun 2007
Joe's arc left me feeling unsatisfied for one reason: he never looked for his sister after getting out of prison. When he was in prison, he did everything in his power - including escaping - to save her. But, after getting released from prison, he focused on his own career instead of tracking her down by going back to the orphanage - waiting for her to come to him. So, in effect, he was happy to - for all he knew - leave her in a basement to be raped daily until he made it big. Not a great big brother, all in all.

Because of his, it irked me a lot that his sister was shown smiling 24/7; as if nothing had happened in-between their last meeting and the present. The last we saw of her before she was adopted, she was being taken away by some evil rapist guy to be sexually abused... yet, after suffering trauma like that from a young age, she wasn't disturbed and was happy to be with her big brother again? Riiiight.

Early on, I praised the series for being realistic in the sense that there weren't any happy ever afters. I saw it as a good thing that Joe didn't defy the odds and escape with his sister. But, because of what happened, I expected/hoped Joe would get it right when he made a second attempt at saving her... which never happened. Instead, if anything his sister saved him by coming back to him during his darkest hour; after he'd failed as a singer.

There are a number of little things like the above that have frustrated me throughout the series. Early on, during the prison drama, I was far more forgiving due to the intensity of it all - Sakuragi's ability to survive through manliness, Ishihara being an evil bastard worth hating, and the supporting characters struggling during hard times making it totally gripping. And there was some serious pay-off during the epic prison escape episode.

...BUT (and this is a big but), I expected there to be some satisfying developments for the other six characters once the prison drama was over, and that hasn't happened. The character development has actually been pretty good, but Mario not ending up with his love (that was a no-win situation in truth, since Setsuko only loved Sakuragi and it would have been totally cheesy) and Joe not moving to save his sister has irritated me too much for me to be content. I know that reality doesn't include happy ever after endings, but in a series like Rainbow there needs to be lots of light at the end of the tunnel.

If I throw in the stupidity of Sakuragi's actions just before he was killed, I'm leaning more towards 7/10 than 8/10. I still like Rainbow a lot but it's lost its luster since Sakuragi and Ishihara went out of the picture, and the end of Mario and Joe's respective stories hasn't helped matters.
AironicallyHumanAug 21, 2010 11:13 AM
Aug 21, 2010 11:38 AM

Apr 2008
Aironic said:
I'm leaning more towards 7/10 than 8/10. I still like Rainbow a lot but it's lost its luster since Sakuragi and Ishihara went out of the picture, and the end of Mario and Joe's respective stories hasn't helped matters.

Me too. I gave the show a rating of an 8/10 right after Sakuragi's death because I had thought that the series was over. I don't know why the creator decided to continue the series after his death; there's really no point to it (aside from seeing Mario grow up, since he's like a mini-Sakuragi within the context of the series). At this point, if things stay the way they are, I'm going to give the series a 7/10. I'm going to stick with it to see if anything happens.
Aug 21, 2010 4:47 PM

Jun 2007
PockyBebop said:
Me too. I gave the show a rating of an 8/10 right after Sakuragi's death because I had thought that the series was over. I don't know why the creator decided to continue the series after his death; there's really no point to it (aside from seeing Mario grow up, since he's like a mini-Sakuragi within the context of the series). At this point, if things stay the way they are, I'm going to give the series a 7/10. I'm going to stick with it to see if anything happens.

You aren't alone - I also lowered my rating from 9/10 to 8/10 after Sakuragi went out of the picture. :)

You can see what the author tried to do - first focusing on prison drama, where Sakuragi was an inspiration to those around them and left his followers as his legacy, then concluding each characters' story individually - but it lost all of its sense of purpose as a story once there wasn't a main villain to go after Sakuragi's life 24/7. Now everything is painfully predictable since each character is going to get time before the end, along with a cheesy scene or two, and Ishihara clones (the lookalike from Joe's arc) need to be thrown in out of nowhere to add drama.

It's reminiscent of TTGL. Much like Rainbow has, TTGL went downhill after the early exit of a certain someone who was very similar to Sakuragi. The difference is that TTGL still had somewhere to go in terms of its plot, but the fact remains it suffered greatly when HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED was replaced with that dullard known as Simon.

Also, the way Mario has been transformed from a hothead into Sakuragi 2 reminds me of how Near replaced HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED 2 in Death Note - something DN fans are forever moaning about. Replacing great characters never, EVER works... especially when, out of the main cast, the character killed off happened to be the only decently developed/cool/likable one. The only other character I care for, following Joe putting singing above his little sister, is Baremoto... and he was the most hate worthy of the lot early on for his acts of cuntism.

Honestly, at this stage I'm looking forward more to downloading the OST than downloading the next episode - I have business with one or two guitar tracks!
Aug 22, 2010 12:34 PM

Jun 2008
Well he reunited with his sister so that's good. I guess now that his not anxious about his sister he has all the time in the world to think and try to get into the song business.
Aug 31, 2010 2:27 AM

Nov 2009
So the lil slut is back? hmmm...
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
Emo Philips
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - May 25, 2010

105 by phantom346 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 18, 2010

88 by phantom346 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jakeki - May 11, 2010

132 by phantom346 »»
Apr 24, 9:46 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - May 5, 2010

151 by phantom346 »»
Apr 24, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DrRoboto - Jul 20, 2010

79 by Gabi15 »»
Apr 19, 12:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.