Forum Settings
Forums

Should we be worried if anime becomes too popular?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 27, 2016 3:11 PM

Dec 2015
LogicalInjustice said:

Daredevil TV series

Both sources show they all series are basically "High MAL Tier" if they were anime. And all of the above are adapted from a comic [which would be Manga on MAL].
No less than 8/10 - 80% for any of them. Those who don't like it are in the very small minority or happen to not be that target audience.

@kitsune0
@KonaKoffee

well my opinion and enjoyment is based on how i feel, whether it be critical or letting go of some of my criticisms.

I am aware that these are all enjoyable by the majority of people, but imo the shows and movies I found to not be enjoyable are based on me and me alone.

Nobody should ever look at other reviews or opinions to form their own, especially in regards to art such as films, anime, novels, or other artforms meant to be entertainment.

I'm not mad at the fact these got high reviews, they just don't apply to my opinion is all.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 27, 2016 3:12 PM

Sep 2010
zal said:
What if the quality would improve by becoming more popular?
Not going to happen. Remember, it's mass-culture, it doesn't work this way. Just look at the - Hell, any other mass-produced entertainment. We'll just got more quantity to choose from.
The only quality that definitely improve will be picture/animation quality because of new technologies.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Jun 27, 2016 3:19 PM

May 2015
kitsune0 said:
zal said:
What if the quality would improve by becoming more popular?
Not going to happen. Remember, it's mass-culture, it doesn't work this way. Just look at the - Hell, any other mass-produced entertainment. We'll just got more quantity to choose from.
The only quality that definitely improve will be picture/animation quality because of new technologies.
With a larger audience there is a larger variety of show thus more possibilities to find something that fits your taste and more possibilities for authors to experiment. With a nicher audience the target is limited and shows aim mainly at that target. Take in consideration Madhouse. I like their shows but they don't have much success because they fit more a western style. If anime was more popular there could be the possibility for them to make profits out of the western audience and to continue what they were doing. Instead they stopped and have to reconsider their future because the Japanese audience don't like those shows.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2016 3:23 PM

Aug 2015
@KonaKoffee

Of course. Whether you enjoy or see these movies/series is up to you. Your enjoyment is the sole reason for you being interested.

@kitsune0

Just like how we have Anime Elitists/Non Casuals who are very familiar with Anime, we have people who are more qualified for reviewing multiple movies and have a history of doing so. Is everyone entitled to their own opinion, yes. But when there is a higher majority arguing against said individuals, either by general audience or critical consensus, a random individual that has not published anything or been outspoken for/against said movies are unqualified to believe their own voice exceeds others.

If you believe you are truly "right" and do not wish to keep it to yourself, write a blog, start a large thread, and have yourself peer reviewed.

I am my own source. You want me to write critical analysis on this titles? That I can do. And then I'll be glad to watch how you'll try to diss any of my factual points.
Don't need your factual analysis when it there are more credible sources that will show the same things you are probably going to attempt to say.
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Jun 27, 2016 3:44 PM

Sep 2010
zal said:
With a larger audience there is a larger variety of show thus more possibilities to find something that fits your taste and more possibilities for authors to experiment. With a nicher audience the target is limited and shows aim mainly at that target. Take in consideration Madhouse. I like their shows but they don't have much success because they fit more a western style. If anime was more popular there could be the possibility for them to make profits out of the western audience and to continue what they were doing. Instead they stopped and have to reconsider their future because the Japanese audience don't like those shows.
-sigh- Look at the current state of industry. You think that all that moe/ecchi/fanservice bashing is coming out of nowhere? That "stupid fans" making things up? No, it's because it really happens. You're thinking that for every "appealing to masses" tittle you'll get another "specific"? No. For every "specific" title you'll get ten "appealing to masses" titles. It's idealistic way - to think that authors are some ethereal creatures that totally free to create. They depend on producing companies.
More to make - more to sell - more competition - faster making - less control - less quality checking - more efforts - more people - bigger salary - desire to cut costs - hiring of low-level workers - more risque - desire to be more appealing to masses - succumbing to "cheap" themes - "cheap" themes sells - no desire to risk - more "cheap" themes as well as sequels/prequels/related/derivative works.
We've already gone through it many times. Comix, movies & games are three still somewhat fresh examples.
There is a way out of it, and it indeed connected to how much popular medium is - but it's not inside said medium. I'm talking about independent works, or "dojinshi" works in Japanese terms. Current technologies already made it possible, just look at RWBY - and all other animation series Rooster Teeth produce. But that tied more to technological advances than to popularity of anime.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Jun 27, 2016 3:49 PM

Dec 2012
I'm fine either way. If it were to be picked up by a much broader audience my only hope is that the Jap studios don't further work their employees to the ground and just treat them like trash in general. Maybe if Western studios bought more into the industry than the workers will get better pay and better treatment overall. Not getting dodgy outsourced animation quality, short, single cour series with no intended 2nd season, and rushed, shallow writing, could possibly be other positives or posibilites too next to LogicalInjustice's argument for anime being more mainstream.
Jun 27, 2016 4:01 PM

May 2015
If it gets popular be ready for the sudden influx of new shows popping up.As for quality I wouldn't be too worried about it since there's only a handful of shows that has a decent quality.It might even improve because people are going to compete. Making better shows give's more profit since it will get more attention.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2016 4:03 PM

May 2015
kitsune0 said:
zal said:
-sigh- Look at the current state of industry. You think that all that moe/ecchi/fanservice bashing is coming out of nowhere? That "stupid fans" making things up? No, it's because it really happens. You're thinking that for every "appealing to masses" tittle you'll get another "specific"? No. For every "specific" title you'll get ten "appealing to masses" titles. It's idealistic way - to think that authors are some ethereal creatures that totally free to create. They depend on producing companies.
More to make - more to sell - more competition - faster making - less control - less quality checking - more efforts - more people - bigger salary - desire to cut costs - hiring of low-level workers - more risque - desire to be more appealing to masses - succumbing to "cheap" themes - "cheap" themes sells - no desire to risk - more "cheap" themes as well as sequels/prequels/related/derivative works.
We've already gone through it many times. Comix, movies & games are three still somewhat fresh examples.
There is a way out of it, and it indeed connected to how much popular medium is - but it's not inside said medium. I'm talking about independent works, or "dojinshi" works in Japanese terms. Current technologies already made it possible, just look at RWBY - and all other animation series Rooster Teeth produce. But that tied more to technological advances than to popularity of anime.
I haven't seen RWBY, do you think it is good?
I know they depend on producing companies but the producing companies aren't going to ignore potential customers, if there's demand there will be supply. Larger audience will cause more demand and consequently more variety because no matter the inevitability of mainstream anime people have different tastes so specific anime will still be produced. Of course the ones for the masses will be more and the specific less, but even if the ratio doesn't change the raw quantity does, so yeah I would prefer 100 mainstream and 10 specific anime compared to 10 mainstream and 1 specific.
Jun 27, 2016 4:06 PM

Apr 2016
What if Americans make their own anime O:
Jun 27, 2016 4:13 PM

May 2015
UnpopularAnime said:
Hi there, it's me the american anime
Jun 27, 2016 4:19 PM

Sep 2010
LogicalInjustice said:
Just like how we have Anime Elitists/Non Casuals who are very familiar with Anime, we have people who are more qualified for reviewing multiple movies and have a history of doing so. Is everyone entitled to their own opinion, yes. But when there is a higher majority arguing against said individuals, either by general audience or critical consensus, a random individual that has not published anything or been outspoken for/against said movies are unqualified to believe their own voice exceeds others.

If you believe you are truly "right" and do not wish to keep it to yourself, write a blog, start a large thread, and have yourself peer reviewed.
I am my own source. You want me to write critical analysis on this titles? That I can do. And then I'll be glad to watch how you'll try to diss any of my factual points.
Don't need your factual analysis when it there are more credible sources that will show the same things you are probably going to attempt to say.
I LoL'd. I've got that feeling that it will come to this but was waiting for it to really happens before starting to bash such way of thinking.
You know how it's called? Universal Argument. As in "universally easy, cheap, obvious and wrong". In your case this particular example called "do it yourself first" - or "became a pro, then we talk". No, it's not how it works. I'm the same human being as any of us. I don't need to be a chief to evaluate a dish.
In short, it's something similar to what's Godwin's law about: as soon as you mention it - you lose.

Jun 27, 2016 4:37 PM

May 2016
Here's a notion...the more popular and common anime becomes, the less frequently anime watchers will be unjustifiably insulted and looked down upon (to the point of being called weeaboos because people don't know what it means) by the "normal" people, because anything that isn't "normal" in this world will be bashed to death...I wouldn't mind if anime was popular enough that it would be common knowledge and people talked about it everywhere like it was sports or something...Actually scratch that, if it becomes like sports, then people will start street fighting over anime and that would be ultra stupid...
HyperLJun 27, 2016 4:42 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 27, 2016 4:41 PM

Sep 2015
Don't worry, you will always be a special snowflake with an unique taste in entertainment.
Jun 27, 2016 4:42 PM

Sep 2014
I would say no, because it means more anime will be made. so it's more of a win for fans.
Jun 27, 2016 4:44 PM

Aug 2015
kitsune0 said:
LogicalInjustice said:

I LoL'd. I've got that feeling that it will come to this but was waiting for it to really happens before starting to bash such way of thinking.
You know how it's called? Universal Argument. As in "universally easy, cheap, obvious and wrong". In your case this particular example called "do it yourself first" - or "became a pro, then we talk". No, it's not how it works. I'm the same human being as any of us. I don't need to be a chief to evaluate a dish.
In short, it's something similar to what's Godwin's law about: as soon as you mention it - you lose.

No, it's about trying to criticize a topic in a niche community over a big topic that should be debated elsewhere where you can face criticism from everyone. I respect a critic, right or wrong, that argues in a public forum because they can receive arguments from all sides. You are the one saying that is it bad, not that it is decent/good with flaws or elements people don't like. Go on a major Reddit, IMDB, or a much large community and try your arguments there and tell me where you are doing it. I'm not going to read an argument [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect]that may be influenced without external criticism from the general public. Let me know when you think otherwise.

Jun 27, 2016 4:46 PM

Sep 2010
zal said:
I haven't seen RWBY, do you think it is good?
I know they depend on producing companies but the producing companies aren't going to ignore potential customers, if there's demand there will be supply. Larger audience will cause more demand and consequently more variety because no matter the inevitability of mainstream anime people have different tastes so specific anime will still be produced. Of course the ones for the masses will be more and the specific less, but even if the ratio doesn't change the raw quantity does, so yeah I would prefer 100 mainstream and 10 specific anime compared to 10 mainstream and 1 specific.
If you're not against Action Girl type - then I think you can like it. I, personally, liked it for acrobatic action, "insane" combined/transformable weapons (think about something like FF's gunblade), humor, bright colours and overall quite light and optimistic atmosphere. Though some songs (openings included) in 0STs were pretty dark, sad and even depressing. And then came that 3rd Season end... without spoilers - it was bloody heart-wrecking for everyone. If you're ready for it - go.
And also now there is that RWBY Chibi mini-series of gag sketches, pure light-hearted comedy without plot, like RT want to apologize for that 3rd Season ending. If you want just some brainless humor you can try it, but bear in mind that it was made for RWBY fans - some jokes may fly over your head.

0n topic: yes, there is that "demand creates supply" concept, but the thing is that it work both ways. You can't tell developers "give me something that I don't know about but shell like", so they tend to create something new based on something old and already familiar and recognizable. But all in all - I've got what you mean, and actually I'm here with you. I want anime industry to boom further, and I'm ready for all consequences that can came out of it.
LogicalInjustice said:
No, it's about trying to criticize a topic in a niche community over a big topic that should be debated elsewhere where you can face criticism from everyone. I respect a critic, right or wrong, that argues in a public forum because they can receive arguments from all sides. You are the one saying that is it bad, not that it is decent/good with flaws or elements people don't like. Go on a major Reddit, IMDB, or a much large community and try your arguments there and tell me where you are doing it. I'm not going to read an argument [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect]that may be influenced without external criticism from the general public. Let me know when you think otherwise.
This is the open forum, and no, comix movies are not such a common topic, there are plenty of people who despise it by default (the whole ex-USSR countries, it's bloody 1/6 of the globe, talking about your lovable majority) as well as comix fans that watch literally everything in that sub-genre.
And there is specific board dedicated to movies and Western culture.
And there are also our own resident comix fans. I can even call some of them, it can be interesting, judging by how my affinity with some of them is about 5O/5O - half of the comix themes we're agree on and on another half we're polar opposites.
Reddit? Are you bloody kidding me? May be I'll also go to 4chan's /b/ in that case?
And the bloody IMDB wants my cell number to "approve" acc for anything beyond basic functions, sorry, not gonna happen, I'm not even living in Europe (and I'm kind of paranoid about such things that I deem personal). Honestly, this irritates my to no limits, I'll gladly jump into discussions here but well.
Are you so feared of arguments that you can't evaluate? Are you so unsure of your own abilities to divide right and wrong? Are you following the masses - the same bloody faceless (almost) anonymous masses that are here and in any given corner of Net? I guess you know that's called, blindly following the masses.
kitsune0Jun 27, 2016 5:16 PM

Jun 27, 2016 5:25 PM

Aug 2015
I'll gladly jump into discussions here but well.
Are you so feared of arguments that you can't evaluate? Are you so unsure of your own abilities to divide right and wrong? Are you following the masses - the same bloody faceless (almost) anonymous masses that are here and in any given corner of Net? I guess you know that's called, blindly following the masses.

@kitsune0

No, but I'm not going to bother unless a lot of diverse people are involved and people can be somewhat serious. I honestly am interested how your arguments contrast with various critics and the general public. I couldn't care less if someone has a good argument for good or for worse: i respect that. But I do not trust the Internet for civil discussion, so the big i can come up with is to have a larger audience so even if there are complications, at least I have enough input to search through the diamonds in the rough.

Start a topic in somewhere that enough people can rebut/criticize and I would take part/read it.

Jun 27, 2016 5:29 PM

May 2016
UnpopularAnime said:

We've already done it twice--Avatar and Korra--and the results were fan-fucking-tastic. If anime as a whole were more popular, we'd have more great series like those to look forward to.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 27, 2016 6:03 PM

Jan 2015
Zelkiiro said:
Better than it being niche and being perpetually cheap and pandering to basement dwellers who go on about "waifus".
Agreed. Heaps of series like Attack on Titan would be better than heaps of series like Highschool DxD.
However, anime is targeted towards the Japanese audience, they won't change anything if anime becomes heaps popular in the west, probably.
Jun 27, 2016 6:08 PM
May 2016
I would be happy if it became a little more popular, or if people would stop looking down on it, however if it became too popular I think it could alter the fandom in a negative way. At least manga would be cheaper. (I think…)
Jun 28, 2016 12:31 AM

Jan 2016
kitsune0 said:

@TheMoonServant, @Tevens - there is no going back already, anime will become more popular, that's globalization & Internet for you. No amount of bad PR can cripple that. Just look at how it's in it's native Japan - did Tsutomu Miyazaki influenced how anime (and otaku) are perceived? 0h dear, yes, it was bad, it was sad, it was just plain horrible. Did it cripple anime industry? Well, check your calendar - it's still here. That [in]famous lolicon ban? Yeah, they tried it. It was even in effect some time. Keywords "tried" and "was". And it's not like it's a Japan-only thing - it happens in many other countries around the world, pedohysteria everywhere. But we're living in capitalistic (mostly) world, so money talks, bullshit walks. Anime will be more popular, it will get more negative attention - just like every bloody new media before it - and it will live after it.

Yea, I realise that, but it's not smth to be afraid of, everyone are like 'worried' that it'll get popular.. if we'll have more anime creators, there will be a bigger competition between them... and you know, just like in industry, the bigger competition, the better quality..

Tbh, I haven't seen anything in internet, that wouldn't have negative attention
Jun 28, 2016 12:39 AM

May 2015
I don't buy the whole 'if it gets popular it will suck'. What most likely will happen is that I'll have more people to talk to about anime.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 28, 2016 2:19 AM

Sep 2009
OtakuDaikun said:
MortalMelancholy said:
No, because the quality is already trash.
. Sit down and watch some ufotable or I'll wash your foul mouth out with soap.

Fate is a garbage franchise, and shirou gives me cancer.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 28, 2016 2:51 AM

Feb 2016
If anime becomes more popular, than it would be because of how it is now. The quality will stay the same if not get better.
Jun 28, 2016 3:13 AM

Apr 2010
It's not gonna happen. I won't be surprised if American cartoons are more popular (not Disney and stuff)

Jun 28, 2016 9:06 AM

Oct 2011
No, an anime show can get immensely popular (DBZ, Big 3, etc) but anime in general won't.
Jun 28, 2016 9:36 AM

Dec 2012
Anime being made to cater less to neckbeards might actually improve the quality of the medium.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 28, 2016 9:40 AM

Mar 2016
Of course we should be worried. If anime becomes too popular it will gain a life of its own and that will be the end of the world as we know it.
Jun 28, 2016 9:42 AM

Dec 2014
If it would become more popular the quality would improve because they would make more money... the quality of the curent anime industry (talking about moe and cliche invasion), is the result of the industry trying its best to survive.
A movie like Game of Thrones make more money per season than all the anime produced in a year, so....
Jun 28, 2016 10:57 AM

Mar 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
OtakuDaikun said:
. Sit down and watch some ufotable or I'll wash your foul mouth out with soap.

Grr. Dem's fighting words. Although who likes Fate because of Shirou? Rin and Saber FTW.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 28, 2016 11:38 AM

Jun 2015
Zelkiiro said:
Better than it being niche and being perpetually cheap and pandering to basement dwellers who go on about "waifus".

Do you ever take a break?

OT: It can never be too popular IMO. It's a medium that the general folk don't appreciate enough.
Jun 28, 2016 11:42 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Yes, then ppl will exploit the shit out of it for money and it will change for whiny westerners who want everything to cater towards them instead of anime remaining japanese as it should

The instant they start giving a fuck about us is when anime is done
Jun 28, 2016 12:12 PM

Jun 2009
UnpopularAnime said:

We had several. Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Boondocks, Teen Titans (The original show), Perfect Hair Forever and Code Lyoko try to mimic the art style that most anime have.
Jun 28, 2016 12:15 PM

Dec 2015
It will never be popular, you are mistaking the Internet with the real world. Also, being popular isn't being popular in a reduced portion of the population.
Jun 28, 2016 1:33 PM

Oct 2015
It probably won't happen, but if it does then hopefully it will mean less otaku-pandering, moe waifu harems and more quality shows that take risks and aren't scared to lose sales.
Jun 28, 2016 1:37 PM

May 2015
itaskiclan said:
If it becomes popular like 'Games of Thrones' or soccer etc would this just downgrade the quality of present and future anime? If so how can MAL and other exclusive anime (and manga) websites deter the masses from anime so quality remains? Thanks for the pointers guys.

first they will come for the good anime

they will stuff the old classics away in shipping boxes and cargo ships.

then, they will come for becky the fans with the good hair taste.

they will catch you unsuspectingly, walking down the street, muff your mouth, knock you out and ship you somewhere with only shit anime.

and that's only the beginning

edit: no but really, it being popular might have some cons or whatever, but the pros of anime becoming more popular in china or america and the like is pretty obviously better than the cons, by blowout. it only effects people who for some reason really like having a niche hobby. hipsters, would you call it? i think it might grow slightly bigger than it is, but you can only really compare to other common media, games, movies, tv shows. and obviously it's never becoming that.
ashfrliebertJun 28, 2016 1:47 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 28, 2016 1:45 PM

Jan 2014
It'll never happen lol

Anime has always been semi-mainstream though. If any of you were born in the 90's you'll remember just how popular and common it was. I'll just copy/paste what someone posted quite a while ago just outlining how preventable it was.

Cartoon Network showed stuff like YuYu Hakusho, .hack//sign, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, and Rurouni Kenshin every weekday after school on their Toonami block.

I remember rushing home after school in second grade to watch Rurouni Kenshin. That was 7 year old me’s favorite show.

You think Pokemon is popular now? HA! In the late 90′s, it was every parent’s worst nightmare. It was on the cover of Time Magazine for fucks’s sake. EVERY kid was obsessed with it. No exceptions. At least, until Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh came around…

You could wake up on Saturday mornings and watch highly Americanized butchered versions of Shaman King, Tokyo Mew Mew (”Mew Mew Power”), and most infamously, One Piece thanks to 4kids.

An anime getting an extremely butchered Americanized dub was a very real, legitimate threat that could happen to any show.

Staying up late enough to watch Inuyasha was considered a rite of passage.

Teenage girls flocked to Barnes and Noble to read entire volumes of Fruits Basket and Fushigi Yuugi in the store without paying for them.

All of the kids cartoons tried to cash in on the craze. I’m sure everyone remembers Avatar and Teen Titans, but trust me when I say that you DON’T want to remember Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi and Kappa Mikey.

Hayao Miyazaki won an Academy Award.

Final Fantasy VII was considered the greatest video game ever made.

Some people still called it “Japanimation”.

So many fucking magazines. Off the top of my head: Animerica, Shonen Jump, Shojo Beat, Newtype USA (the best one by far), Anime Insider, Beckett Anime, and Beckett Anime For Girls (The most cringeworthy one. Of course I had every issue!)

Anime was freaking everywhere. The entire country was in its weeb phase. Some people on this website are too young to even remember this.

Personally I remember clear as day Gundam Wing (oddly enough I don't like it now, but back then I thought it was the shit), DBZ, YuYu Hakusho. Like the above poster said, yeah, the entire country went through a weeb phase, I don't think people remember.
Jun 28, 2016 1:53 PM

Oct 2013
Last thing I need is for anime to be PC because the west demands it and feminism to come and kill anything fun so yh, I worry what would happen iof it became so damn popular that the West wants to come and destroy it.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 28, 2016 5:16 PM

May 2016
Mamster-P said:
The instant they start giving a fuck about us is when anime is done

You mean like when they revived The Big O and went to work on two more seasons of FLCL?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 28, 2016 5:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@KonaKoffee

i can't think of many situations that are more awkward than that

@Zelkiiro

what?

you and your daily trolling....
Jun 28, 2016 8:12 PM

Jul 2013
I wasn't that worried when Naruto got too popular. Popular cartoons/anime can get stale, eventually.
Jun 28, 2016 8:19 PM

Jun 2015
Dont worry that will never happen as long as japan anime industry is only making bad animes that even japanese otakus started to dislike recently.
Jun 28, 2016 11:18 PM

Sep 2009
OtakuDaikun said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Grr. Dem's fighting words. Although who likes Fate because of Shirou? Rin and Saber FTW.

Ask Miyazaki; Shirou was a mistake.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 28, 2016 11:27 PM

Sep 2015
I wouldn't mind. I mean, I'd still watch it. From there it'll get more support and it wouldn't be awkward to make it a topic in a normal conversation.
Jun 29, 2016 6:00 PM

Mar 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
OtakuDaikun said:

Ask Miyazaki; Shirou was a mistake.

But in the VN he becomes my vicarious gateway to sexual fantasy. That is no mistake.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 29, 2016 6:08 PM

Jun 2015
desusama said:
I don't see how more people watching anime and subsequently buying the merchandise could lower quality also less people calling anything anime looking naruto so I actually hope more people watch

What's with your naruto-ish looking profile pic??
Well here it's pokemon but yeah I once showed a fragment of Higurashi. ''What's with all the pokemon looking characters?''
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jun 29, 2016 8:47 PM

Oct 2015
Maybe, After Call of Duty become popular it seemed like all video games were trying to be first-person-shooters.
Jun 29, 2016 9:34 PM

Mar 2015
Yes. Yes you should. Now sit back and enjoy your hentai. It'll help to keep anime from becoming too mainstream.
Jun 29, 2016 9:53 PM
Mar 2015
It probably wouldn't matter. Anime studios get a very small amount of money from foreign customers and it seems really unlikely for enough people to start watching it in the west for that to change.
Jun 29, 2016 9:56 PM

Mar 2015
GWT said:
It probably wouldn't matter. Anime studios get a very small amount of money from foreign customers and it seems really unlikely for enough people to start watching it in the west for that to change.

The problem is that we used to say that about video games. A good example would be FF VII, which has been milked to hell and back because it got mainstream. Now we're getting a "remake" that smells of money and button mashing.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - 12 hours ago

20 by Absurdo_N »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you delete one of your favourites, in exchange for another one of them getting a worthy sequel?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

19 by Spunkert »»
7 minutes ago

» Does it ever annoy you how a lot of series just never seem to end?

purple_rayn - 11 hours ago

12 by LoveYourEyes »»
15 minutes ago

» Name your two favorite anime from your 2 least favorite genres/themes, and two least favorite of your most favorite genres/themes

Daviljoe193 - Yesterday

23 by Zarutaku »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

29 by LoveYourEyes »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.