Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 31, 2009 4:42 AM

Jun 2008
Sami092 said:
Great episode, they upped the anti from last week. Scar was cool in this episode, Winry is becoming a bit of a damsel in distress which has become annoying for me, get over it bitch! I loved the comedy, and Yoki's backstory was funny, especially Ed's reaction where he mashed the words lol. :)
I haven't gotten to this part of the manga...yet. If you listened to Ed as a character he's a bad actor. There is more going on it than it looks. Remember that the Brigg's upper military are working with Ed and Al so it wouldn't behoove me that Miles is in on whatever plan is going on. Meaning they all teamed up.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Dec 31, 2009 4:53 AM

Apr 2008
haha~ pretty hilarious xD

anyways i dont believe Winry was captured .. most likely was their plan

Dec 31, 2009 5:13 AM

Apr 2009
orangehouse said:

what ?
why would they do that -_-
there is no reason for that
Dec 31, 2009 5:32 AM

Jun 2008
smokes said:
orangehouse said:

what ?
why would they do that -_-
there is no reason for that
There are plenty of reasons. If Scar was taken by Kimblee you know darn well that he will be killed. Plus Ed and Al want to learn more about the Xing alchemy and that can only happen with a live and free Scar.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Dec 31, 2009 7:10 AM
Nov 2008
noteDhero said:
Bad episode lined with some funny comedy. Yoki must be a pretty damn important person to get such a terrible, necessary feeling flashback in the middle of nowhere like that. And that most of it looked like it was ripped straight from the first show was a bit of a mess to me.

Scar capturing Winry seems like a bit of a fake out to me. I'm not sure what Scar gains by taking Winry, but I know what Ed and Al gain.

Overall, a pretty lame episode even considering a lot of the plot movement.

Lol. Yoki is pretty important for the next couple ep...You have to be considerate for those who didn't read the manga and didn't watch the first season. And his flashback was suppershort compared to the manga and first anime. About the rip-off from first season... it was different in execution, art style and even the plot. They are both done based on the manga material, of course they are somewhat similiar.

And you don't have to be a genius to see through what's going on at the moment. In the manga this part of the story is linear time-wise. The anme messed things up to create a bit of a twist (which I don't really agree with). There will be enough plot twists and cliff-hangers to have you on the edge of your seat without doing things like this.
Dec 31, 2009 7:16 AM

Apr 2009
awesome ep. It's not as exciting cause I read the manga and know whats gonna happen.... but what ev. FMA BH is still a kick-ass adaption of the manga.
Dec 31, 2009 7:27 AM

Aug 2008
At this point, I just assume that the first show did everything differently, since there are so few similarities in the plot. And while some of those scenes in Yoki's flashback looked new, some looked like they were taken straight out of the first show, updated for widescreen, and had the color taken out.

My point was that if some tertiary character gets his own flashback after seeing him on the show for 20+ episodes (and I don't even know that we heard his name until this week), then it's very obvious that a few things happened:

1. The show's pace was in fact too fast, contrary to what a lot of people liked to say.
2. The director has a bad sense of what is important in the big picture of the show.
3. Yoki's going to do something important, if not die, and they're trying to retroactively build up his character.

It's just poor planning on nearly every level of the production, and since I'm guessing the manga was far past this before the show started, there really is no excuse for such a mistake. But time will tell, and I could be totally wrong.
Dec 31, 2009 11:32 AM

Apr 2009
i've never seen a show that develops a random character that much like this guy and just leave it aside...
ofc he will make some important things or whatever..
we'll just have to wait and see..
Dec 31, 2009 12:11 PM

Feb 2009
noteDhero said:
At this point, I just assume that the first show did everything differently, since there are so few similarities in the plot. And while some of those scenes in Yoki's flashback looked new, some looked like they were taken straight out of the first show, updated for widescreen, and had the color taken out.

My point was that if some tertiary character gets his own flashback after seeing him on the show for 20+ episodes (and I don't even know that we heard his name until this week), then it's very obvious that a few things happened:

1. The show's pace was in fact too fast, contrary to what a lot of people liked to say.
2. The director has a bad sense of what is important in the big picture of the show.
3. Yoki's going to do something important, if not die, and they're trying to retroactively build up his character.

It's just poor planning on nearly every level of the production, and since I'm guessing the manga was far past this before the show started, there really is no excuse for such a mistake. But time will tell, and I could be totally wrong.

It's certainly a case of 1, possibly 2. The early episodes pacing (1-13) was rather quick, and I don't know who would say otherwise.

Most fans, whether they read the manga or not, seemed to agree that the pacing was off for a while.

Dec 31, 2009 12:17 PM

Aug 2008
You can look back at the episode discussions. The majority of viewers were saying, "It's not fast, they're going at the pace of the manga. You're just too used to the first show being dreadfully slow." Then a couple of things happened like skipping over Loki and people started to change their tune. Then something happened in the last 8 or so episodes (I forget what it was, I think it had to do with Ling) and the people who were loudest in saying the show had a fast pace were calling the show a total failure for skipping over something.
Dec 31, 2009 12:52 PM

Feb 2009
noteDhero said:
You can look back at the episode discussions. The majority of viewers were saying, "It's not fast, they're going at the pace of the manga. You're just too used to the first show being dreadfully slow." Then a couple of things happened like skipping over Loki and people started to change their tune. Then something happened in the last 8 or so episodes (I forget what it was, I think it had to do with Ling) and the people who were loudest in saying the show had a fast pace were calling the show a total failure for skipping over something.

People were complaining about stuff being left out at least as far back as the removal of the fight with Envy which was supposed to be around episode 19, and there were complaints further back about the lack of Youswell, which anyone who reads the manga would know will make this latter part a bit more confusing. I myself always had a problem with the pacing of the early episodes, but I understood why they did it.

Besides, look elsewhere aside from this forum, and you will see other FMA manga fans giving the series a more critical (if nitpicky) eye.

Dec 31, 2009 1:07 PM

Aug 2008
I don't doubt that there were people (familiar with the manga) who were nitpicky about the show. I'm just saying that here, in these episode discussions, the further the show got along, the more people were saying that the show was rushing, when it's been about the same pace from the get go.

How did we get to this conversation again?
Dec 31, 2009 1:23 PM

Feb 2009
noteDhero said:
I don't doubt that there were people (familiar with the manga) who were nitpicky about the show. I'm just saying that here, in these episode discussions, the further the show got along, the more people were saying that the show was rushing, when it's been about the same pace from the get go.

The only episode I've noticed complaints about pacing after, say episode 19 or so is the Ishbal flashback, and there they stuffed 4 chapters into one episode, which they never did even early into the series. Since then, things have been cruising pretty steadily, and I really don't notice the pacing complaints aside from that episode. If anything, they've slowed things down tremendously, covering something like 11-12 chapters in 8 episodes.

How did we get to this conversation again?

The director's lack of foresight in not including the Yoki scenes way earlier in the series where they belonged.

Dec 31, 2009 1:33 PM

Aug 2008
I think they have slowed up lately, and to be honest, I don't really understand why since the front half was so fast. Lately (maybe the last month) I feel like the show has wafted around nothingness with no sense of urgency despite everything that's going on. I think it started with the Hoenheim recap episode and never really recovered from there. There was so much momentum at that point that it was stopped dead in its tracks.

Oh yeah. Hmm...how to bring this all back around...
The director has a great sense of capturing the action of the show, and because of that, I guess that's why the first half of the show was so quick. Now that he has to settle into differentiating this series from the last from a plot and character perspective, I think he's realized that he steamrolled through a lot of important characterization and is having trouble shifting gears between exposition, characterization, plot development, and character development.
Dec 31, 2009 6:30 PM

May 2009
...Those were some damn ugly chimera(s?)...

Um, so I'm thinking... Winry being kidnapped by Scar is all part of Ed and Al's plan? Maybe?
Dec 31, 2009 8:32 PM

Jun 2008
TechDragon said:
Alphonse is two-timer?! lol XD

And one of them is a small loli. What a filthy disgusting hum...eehh armor he is. And he doesn't even have the necessaries tools if you know what i mean. OMG! when he gets his human body there won't be a female in 5000km radius that will escape him.

Seriously though Full Metal Alchemist continues to be awesome. That shadow kid really is fear incarnated. Poor Riza is afraid of her own shadow.That opening scene was intense. I really didn't expect that later i would be watching Al making monkey faces about his new cool arm.

Anyway it seems that finally the Elric brothers found a way to escape the blackmailing. It was about time Scar did something useful and not just kill whoever got in frond of him.
MonadJan 1, 2010 9:33 PM
Jan 1, 2010 12:56 PM

Aug 2009
=O AL YOU TWO TIMER!! XD That made me laugh!!
I want the next episode NOOWWW XD <3
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
Jan 1, 2010 1:14 PM

Jan 2009
Oh I'm late, well being without Internet sucks, period. ┐('~`;)┌
Right, Hawkeye's paranoia starting to set in after her conversation with Selim/Pride.
And I still think that Roy's attempt at getting rid of the flowers was good ( ´・‿-)~
Oh those four bodyguard-guys of Kimblee's, they're pretty interesting, aren't they? ヽ(´ー`)ノ
I'm as baffled at the random appearance of May as I was before, it was really .. Random ( ¯‿¯)
And that she suspects Al of two-timing since Winry was hiding in his armor ( ´・‿-)~
Huh.. Wait.. Did we get this Yoki-flashback in the manga? ┐(-。ー')┌
I don't remember seeing Armstrong's younger sister in this particular chapter of the manga (¬_¬)
Oh well, Ed's automail's lighter, so he's in lolwtfpwn-mode ◕ ◡ ◕
Weee their plan has been put in motion ( ̄ー ̄)
Next episode (or perhaps the one after that) should be some epic shit ʘ‿ʘ
Ah right.. Al's drifting as well O.o
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 1, 2010 5:33 PM

Apr 2009
Oh God, I died when Catharine threw the piano at him! XDD
It's cool that they got the other sisters in too, don't think we saw them in the first anime....

Mei was adorable as usual. And I've always loved that scene with the Elrics pretending not to recognize the chimeras, glad they did it justice. :3
Moimy said:
Are they gonna do Winry giving Ed her earrings? I thought they had a done that in the manga before this point....oh well. I just wanted that in there. SPOILER ALERT just in case.

That should be next week when they show them formulating the plan. ;)
Jan 2, 2010 8:21 AM
May 2008
Great episode, a change of pacing from recent episodes. Which feels kind of nice, since so many of the other episodes have been so similar in presentation.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jan 3, 2010 1:08 AM

May 2008
This episode give me a lot of dejavu from the first anime. Loki & the piano lifting scene.

It's funny to watch another side of story, Loki as the protagonist. Ed as the villain.
Jan 4, 2010 5:15 AM

Jun 2008
it was a great episode!! way to go elric brothers. i love their cheekiness
Jan 4, 2010 9:53 AM

May 2007
Riza's scene at the beginning... poor her. <3
Also lol at Yoki. And Mei-chan with her 'Alphonse-sama~' XD

Jan 5, 2010 5:25 AM

Apr 2009
The flashback of Yoki killed me :D
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 6, 2010 3:25 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode! :)
Mei is cuteee. :)
I think Winry knows what to do and she agreed to this plan even if it means to work together with Scar. As long as she is a hostage she thinks she is just a burden to Ed and Al so it's a good opportunity to free her.
I can't wait next! :)))
Don't belive in yourself! Belive in me who belives in you! (TTGL) XD ...LOVE and PEACE!! ^_^
Jan 6, 2010 4:48 PM

Jan 2009
whyyyy are they trying to ruin the good name of the first series.. why are they throwing lame comedy here and there.... i't so shitty annoying ... i hate those parts of the episodes... :X they should stick more to the manga, and stop spacing out with such crappy comedy.... aaaah... please "god" don't make me put it in the "drop" list ;( NO NO NO ....

i think the Loki flashback was really from the first series and WHYYYY the FUK did they do it.... aaargh.. studio BONES isn't what used to be, that's all there is to it ;( (i'm saying this with a great portion of despair and sorrow...)
Jan 6, 2010 4:57 PM
Nov 2008
SN00KY said:
whyyyy are they trying to ruin the good name of the first series.. why are they throwing lame comedy here and there.... i't so shitty annoying ... i hate those parts of the episodes... :X they should stick more to the manga, and stop spacing out with such crappy comedy.... aaaah... please "god" don't make me put it in the "drop" list ;( NO NO NO ....

i think the Loki flashback was really from the first series and WHYYYY the FUK did they do it.... aaargh.. studio BONES isn't what used to be, that's all there is to it ;( (i'm saying this with a great portion of despair and sorrow...)

You make zero sense:D. The comedy is adapted FROM THE MANGA:D. And it's funny (for me at least.) Explaining Yoki's character is necessary because of what's going to happen in the next 1-2 ep (and later too). Not everyone watched season 1 or read the manga.

And first season is only good until you watch this or read the manga and realise the awesomeness of the original.
Jan 6, 2010 10:52 PM

Jan 2009
^I lol'd, no offense, but yeah, I lol'd. A bunch. And Malestel is right anyway : p
Though I see no reason why anyone'd doubt it
And the comedy is pretty fun too : >
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 6, 2010 10:56 PM
Sep 2009
SN00KY said:

EVERYTHING you just complained about is directly from the manga. Although, Yoki's story was originally placed immediately after the brothers left Lior, but it was cut from the beginning of the new series so people who were unfamiliar with the manga wouldn't bitch about it being exactly the same.

And much of the comedy in the manga has been cut out of the new series. I'd say 75% at best has made it in.
Jan 8, 2010 5:50 AM

Nov 2009
What manga chapter does this episode take place in?
Jan 8, 2010 10:29 AM
Nov 2008
Diceroll said:
What manga chapter does this episode take place in?

vol18 chapter 71-72
Jan 8, 2010 8:14 PM

Jul 2008
i can't beleive he tried to steal from the armstrong family, there were two female versions in there, thats scary in itself
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jan 11, 2010 6:23 PM

Feb 2009
Al fighting dirty is so funny, poor short version of Yoki's misadventures.
Jan 16, 2010 10:16 AM

Sep 2008
I liked this episode. XD Ed's fighting and quick-thinking are up-to-par as usual. I'm glad Yoki's little flashback/background recap was super short, 'cause I don't really care about him.

When I first saw Scar with Winry, I was just really... shocked, I guess. Didn't expect it. But Ed's accusing Kimblee makes me think - like a lot of people have mentioned - that it's just some sort of plan they've ("they" being Ed, Al, Scar, Marcoh, Mei, and maaaaaybe Winry) put into play.
Jan 16, 2010 12:07 PM

Dec 2008
great episode, the ending is quite obvious... it's all a show for the military.
Jan 17, 2010 11:38 PM

May 2008
Opps i watched the wrong episode

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 21, 2010 12:23 AM

Sep 2009
I just love all of this scheming going on. I also liked Olivier's display of kindness.
Jul 10, 2010 1:04 PM

Aug 2009
Great episode, as usual. Scar got his hands on Winry, making her as a hostage and is now sitting on the top of that building. I wonder what will happen. Will Kimblee help Winry or it's going to be the Elric brothers who's going to save the day?

As for Olivier, she is a good general. She doesn't leave her men behind. I loved how she gave the watchman a broken clock just so that it'll give them a reason not to seal the passageway. Very nice.

I thought that Ed, Al, and Scar will work together. I guess I was wrong. Scar is really a person that wants revenge. Fuck man if they could have just worked together, they can beat the military but noo!
Sep 13, 2010 10:57 AM

Dec 2008
This was a funny ep!
Yoki is delusional!
Those were some NASTY looking chimeras!
I love Olivier...she ROCKS!!
Dec 20, 2010 4:29 AM

Nov 2009
I'm glad yoki's background didn't take up too much time tbh. So uh...Ed is faster than scar now? And uh scar can dodge bullets right? :)
Feb 17, 2011 6:01 PM

Dec 2010
Nice episode, Yoki trying to steal from the Armstrong family was funny
Mar 19, 2011 4:54 PM

Mar 2010
mm great episode i feel like winry capture is part of the plan also lol at the armstrong mansion

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 26, 2011 10:33 PM

Feb 2010
LOL! Who would would try and steal from the Armstrongs? How is he still alive?
May 23, 2011 12:25 AM

Oct 2010
- "Good evening! It's your favorite florist!" LOL ROY.
- "Wait... Why am I talking like a two-timer?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA AL. <3
- Ed's love for his northern automail. LOL his laugh. Pffft.
- And Buccaneer's grin. =))

Didn't really care about Yoki, but him trying to steal from the Armstrongs was hilarious!
[insert awesome signature here]
Jul 17, 2011 11:45 AM

May 2010
I'm really liking Olivia :) She seems nice.
Jul 18, 2011 2:46 AM

Dec 2010
In fact, this episode was great, no doubt about it. Ed was hilarious most of the time. But what I liked the most was, again, the part when Winry showed up.
Aug 7, 2011 1:59 AM
Jul 2010
Hum... Who were those guys at the end? It seems something is finally about to start in Briggs. And things with Scar are really getting interesting as well. I'm guessing he's actually teaming up with Ed and co. At least that's the impression I got from the way Ed talked to Kimbley.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 21, 2012 10:36 AM
Jul 2008
Yoki's backstory was kinda nice and quick :p
May 19, 2012 1:18 AM

Sep 2011
"Hey look, a shadow!" *facepalm

@ending: Oh hell no.
Oct 13, 2012 5:09 AM

May 2012
Nice to see the story behind Yoki I did preferred the whole episode dedicated to it from the original FMA but it was still quite nice they included it! That ending was a bit unexpected though!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

134 by LockHowl »»
Yesterday, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeviantKaos - Apr 25, 2010

332 by mjjones0 »»
Yesterday, 6:08 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kurotsuki - Apr 12, 2009

361 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 2, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 5, 2009

618 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 2, 3:51 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Apr 26, 2009

446 by xennotsan »»
Apr 29, 2:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.