Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 2, 2013 1:27 PM

Jul 2011
AironicallyHuman said:

Episode 50 was pretty bad, as lady episodes go. Instead of starting with some new animation, the tight-fisted bastards decided to re-use the last few minutes from the previous episode. And then they had the OP track play alongside some utterly worthless images of the sky, to waste another minute or two. I felt dejected before the episode had even managed to get going--hardly the way someone should be made to feel at the start of the final episode of a lengthy series such as this!

Instead of Erin telling wolf-birdy to bugger off and leave her, as SHUNAN'S OWN FUCKING WELL HORSEMEN SHOT ARROWS IN HIS DIRECTION - AT HIS SAVIOURS - AS THEY JUST STOOD THERE, why didn't Erin get the hell out of there with them?... Oh, I know: to create some extra drama as Lilan decided whether to go back or not! (And what happened to the horsemen after Shunan was rescued from the clutches of his own army, exactly?)

The only highlight of the episode was the horribly one-dimensional pantomime villain of the piece FINALLY getting killed... but, even then, because the show was aimed at kids, they avoided showing Ial slicing him. Action without the blows being shown is as exciting as... well, no action at all.

Episode 46 and 47 were surprisngly good, in comparison to the last three episodes, as those added chunks onto the characters; Seimiya FINALLY stopping being a silly little spoiled bitch with a God(ess?) complex. But then, even after she knew that THE UNCLE THAT SHE PLANNED TO MARRY wasn't a nice guy, she had to wait until the very last minute to raise the blue flag of lower class marriage acceptance. The reason? For extra drama yawndowm, of course!

Moribito wipes the floor with Erin, as far as the anime adaptations go. Nothing of note outside of animal slice-of-life occurred occurred until the last ten episodes, and the political drama was ruined - to a certain extent - by a one-dimensional villain without clear reasons behnd his evilness manipulating a cast of idiots. I mean, what in the name of all that is holy was Ngan doing attacking his own people, AFTER the queen had accepted Shunan? HE HAD NO BRAIN AND EXISTED ONLY TO APPEAR AT THE LAST MOMENT. (And what the hell happened to him after his failure!?) I just couldn't fully immerse myself in a tale of political intrigue and betrayal where a dick without a motive toyed with brainless cardboard cutouts.

Without all of the poor attempts at AMVs / flashbacks wherever possible, kidification, filler and the needlessly lengthy wolf-birdy saga, the series could have been fitted into 25-35 episodes. At the very least, I'd say that 25% of the content could've been cut without it hurting anything whatsoever. When a series opens with five straight fillers and moves onto farting/bee slice-of-life, something is very wrong...

...In spite of my negativity, I'm still going to give it 7/10 (edit: 6/10, after going over my thoughts). If it was THAT bad, I wouldn't have lasted for 50 episodes. But, the thing is, having watched Moribito and been impressed by its mature execution/tone, as well as seeing the Erin novel-anime comparison post, I'm well aware that the series could've been brilliant, had it been handled better, and that's what's really getting under my skin. I'd probably like the novels A LOT more; if only because I wouldn't have to endure vocal track repetition x100.

All my thoughts in one post. The show had potential too. It's a pity.
There is not enough closure for me. I wish they had shown Kazalm, Erin's village or even the aftermath of that battle.

Seirei no Moribito was good thanks to Kamiyama Kenji. I've read the novel it was based on (I loved the anime ALOT), and the anime adaptation is much better. If anyone else had directed it, the anime would honestly be crap.

6/10 for me as well for this series. Too many flashbacks and some other things.
May 18, 2013 8:24 PM

Feb 2010
The anime could have been much shorter if it weren't for all those flashbacks. I was hoping they do at least a montage of where the rest of casts are now, instead they just showed their faces in gold. Had high expectations but overall this anime was okay, not really worth the 50 episodes watch though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2013 7:54 AM

Jul 2010
I'd rather have an epilogue tat showed how life went on after the events. For everyone.

I would've liked to see how the touda are treated and used after the marriage of the duke's son and the queen. Or how people trained as a whole as the Queen is obviously no longer regarded as a deity (or is she?! - both are possible)

I would've preferred to see what happened to all the students from Kazalm and their lives. The poisoner can just do what he wants - one such scene for every secondary character would've made an incredible last episode.

I would have loved to see something more than how Erin got a child, although I understand that this is a show about the growing up of a girl into a woman and having a family is the logical continuation of her story. Nonetheless, we don't even see the father.

Last ep - disappointment.
Rest of the show - meh.

Aug 9, 2013 5:19 PM

Nov 2011
Great series overall, I rated this a 9/10

I find the way that Erin progressed through her character of growing up from child and adolescence as part of a journey that I find admirable. Obviously, her bond with her mother was strong and when she died (in episode 7), it left a big scar in her life. Now as the series progressed, she became a guardian for the Ohju and now is in the role of a 'mother'. I like how the series also adapts a natural outlook on the creatures as well as the overall setting. Furthermore, the show itself depicts the dangers of dealing with beasts of nature along with guardianship itself. The amount of violence at various times also surprised me as well as the stronger appeal to emotions regarding Erin's life.

Surprisingly, the OST of this show is also quite strong and imo memorable. I had my headphones' volume set as high most of the time...and enjoyed the hell out of this.

So yeah, great series overall. I may reconsider re-watching this in the future.
Dec 23, 2013 5:27 AM

Aug 2012
Well, a series that's extremely simplistic, yet extremely lovable that way. I never minded the pacing, because I know this show was made with kids in mind. This series is all about character development and decisions, and there are many times that it uses up many implausible moments and events, all in exchange for that development. And I don't mind it, because it's succeeded into executing that purpose, even if it lost other things in the process.

Ending didn't wrap everything up too perfectly. I wish Erin met her friends back at the Touda village she was in. I wish they showed the aftermaths more with all the related supporting characters more. I'm still wondering if the old man (with the Touda that Erin saved when she was a kid) died during the battle. The anime forgot about all of Damiya's troops surrounding Seimiya and funnily enough, Shunan. How were the remaining Touda taken care of? Were they just left there? And did Lilan just leave behind her family back at Lazal or Kazalm? Again, so many unreasonable and implausible moments, but that never destroyed the fun or the purpose of the series.

I've haven't enjoyed a series like how I enjoyed this in a long time. 10/10, would ErinxIal again.
Dec 23, 2013 9:19 AM

Nov 2013
Kemono no Souja Erin had so much potential. I loved the fantasy setting and the scale of the plot that emerged in the last 15 or so episodes, but several things prevented the show from landing in my list of favorites, namely the constant recycling of scenes and the childish elements implemented in the show.

That being said, the show had its strengths. Again, the plot was solid, especially for a so-called kid's show. Erin herself became a thoroughly fleshed out character by the end, and I enjoyed her interactions with Lilan, Ial, Jone, her mother, and many others. Also, the OST was beautiful and very fitting for the anime, and the art style was unique.

I plan to watch Seirei no Moribito next. Hopefully it will suit my tastes better.
Feb 19, 2014 5:55 PM

Apr 2012
Besides the over usage of flashbacks/ insert songs, I loved every moment of this show. Everything from the lighthearted moments to the darker elements of the show, was perfectly mixed. Erin's development and interactions with all the other characters from childhood to motherhood was simply fun to watch. Her relationship with Lilan was especially heartwarming even though there were moments of fear, anxiety, doubt that tested their fragile relationship.

I would recommend this anime to all age groups despite it being broadcasted by NHK. Great series by the creators of Seirei no Moribito.

9/10

Mar 7, 2014 1:57 PM
Apr 2013
I think that the important thing that I realized from the start, despite reading many reviews that said that Erin looked like a children's show but wasn't a children's show, was that this anime was created with children in mind. Two, something that I've felt with almost every single anime that I've watched (and, compared to many people, I haven't watched any. Most shows I drop within the first few episodes), is that visual media will never hold the total complexity that written works do. Third, what makes up that complexity is different for everyone. Anyone can come in here and say that this or this or this was stupid and makes the overall inferior. Yeah, that's totally okay.

But for me, when I started watching Erin, I didn't want complexity -- I wanted a story about a little girl who grows up to be a woman and has to face down difficult decisions and decide for herself where her morals lie. I wanted a grand fantasy adventure that was slow paced and took time for itself. Erin was all of that for me, and is in fact a show I want to share with my niece when she's a little bit older (or maybe a lot, she's only going to be four this year, haha). I agree that this show was built for a family dynamic, there were a lot of obvious moments meant to reassure the viewer that things were okay (episode 8 was the biggest one, imo). So in that perspective, I can understand why some people would feel that their expectations were somehow betrayed.

Even so, I am so sad for those who were not able to slow down enough to enjoy the pacing of this show, because it really took me back to when I was a young girl, and a teenager, and the struggles and choices all of us face. In that respect, Erin is, to me, allegory the whole way through. Because yes, sometimes you do need to be reminded that even though difficult, taking the difficult road in pursuit of the right thing can lead to happiness. In the meantime, if you want complicated political fantasy, proooobably a better idea to watch something that is more obviously aimed at an adult audience. ;)

(yeah yeah there's tragedy in the latter two books, but considering true change takes centuries and lots of death with many martyrs, it's to be expected)

edit - oh yeah, considering one of the major themes was family bonds, especially between mothers and their children, I think that is part of why they chose to make it more of a family-type show. Ratings being the way they were, I think it was a financially sound choice to make. Maybe not the best thing that could have been done with the source material, but a solid and respectable choice, imo.
Mar 24, 2014 5:35 PM

May 2012
Damn I'm pretty amazed by all the events in this epic and most lovely ending! We've seen the whole development from child to becoming a parent herself and I must say I sure loved the whole development to this point! It had lesser good moments but it also had it's very epic moments and that what makes this anime pretty unique together with the great story telling, pace and art!

I must say I didn't expected all too much when I started this anime but I'm sure blown back by the quality of this anime in the end and while I can't give this a 10/10 rating I must say it scores very high for me at least a 9.75!

All by all I sure loved it and the ending was just way too wonderful! 9/10
Jun 24, 2014 2:34 AM

Aug 2013
Maaan when Lilan swooped down to rescue Erin, shivers ran up and down my spine. That was amazing. And the look on Lilan's eyes...it's 2D but I felt warmth omg O__O It's not the warm fuzzy feeling type of warmth, more like safe and comfortable warmth. Congratulations Lilan, you're the first anime character to ever make me feel this way.

I'm going to go with "that's Ial and Erin's child." The background doesn't look like they're back in Kazalm so I'm going with the idea that the queen and king gave Lilan, Eku and Aru to Erin. Yep yep, I'm happy with that canon in my mind haha.

Yuuyan and Kashugan got together! Kiriku lives and is now a good man! I wish there was more but I understand only the first two books were adapted meaning there's no way they could have included an epilogue...because you know you can't put an epilogue to a story that isn't finished yet (when the anime was created that is).

10/10. Wish I found this sooner.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 22, 2014 1:28 AM

Sep 2013
I will take this as the end of the series. I read some spoilers about the novels and didn't like them.

This experience was fantastic. I really don't get why some people complained about it being slow or too calm, that's the big thing behind Kemono no Souja Erin. Anyway, this was amazing; magical, I would say. A happy ending is the perfect ending for this series.

I hope other anime will make me feel amazed just like this one did. I really do.
Sep 17, 2014 11:53 AM

Apr 2011
Hmm, the epilogue was rushed. We only learn that Erin was a parent, and not much else...plus the rest of the cast is forgotten. Otherwise, this last episode hit the emotional moments excellently. Overall a good show, although the million flashbacks and recaps are too much, and the repetitive sing-alongs got old. I agree it could've been shorter. Still high quality though.
Oct 17, 2014 11:20 AM

Nov 2009
Ahhhh, it's over T_T . . . Well, I really enjoyed this series. I mean really enjoyed it. Erin is probably now one of my favorite characters, and the story itself was great. I loved the scenery, the creatures, and the themes going on through it. And the ending >.<, so happy, also looked it up, so Erin did end up with Ial, which was a nice touch.

My only complaint would be that they didn't make another episode to truly wrap things up, but other than that I loved this series, 8/10.
Jan 15, 2015 5:28 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty predictable ending. There were far better eps than this one. I dont understand why this series was drawn in childish style. This is definitely 16+ or even 18+ anime for me. Lot of killing. Overall very good anime. Wish there were more similar fantasy series.
Feb 10, 2015 7:43 PM

Feb 2014
Decent closure for the final ep. Loved how Lilan came to the rescue :3 I wished Ia-Lu appeared in the time-skip tho ;(

10/10 for this ep, 9/10 overall, being a classic for me :) Only thing that bothered me was the narrator, "Okaa-san", and repeated cgi

Erin will always be one of the best characters imo, dat development too op. The ending left things open tho I'm doubting a sequel will be animated it's been like 5 years now :/ plus it'll flip everything upside down with the amount of tragedy :/

Anyhow, srsly was a classic for me, destroying any age-boundaries and being able to portray so many things you'd want from a normal show, all the while being labeled as a "children's show" :D
GenocyberFeb 10, 2015 7:47 PM

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Feb 15, 2015 11:55 AM
Aug 2014
And that is that; felt like the ending was a bit abrupt, which shouldn't happen if you have 50 episodes to tell your story. A few too many flashbacks, didn't care much for the two comic relief characters, but very good music and a very good main character. 8/10
Mar 20, 2015 5:38 AM

Apr 2009
Wow. My first forum message. Just wanted to get my feelings out. Finished this yesterday! I love the fact that Lilan forgave Erin and even saved her on own will (I kinda wished Lilan should show remorse for biting Erin's fingers off but then again she's a beast). I cried on that part (actually I shed a lot of tears on this series)! This pretty much shows that Erin must be the first person to befriend and earn the goodwill of a beast, and the strongest beast at that.

I wished they should have shown more clips than those nature and character scenes. I want to see what happens after that incident. And why is everyone so sure that Ial is the father? The boy doesn't look like him; the hair color is different that it's almost like Tomura is the father (although I would love Ial to be the dad). Damn, somebody need to translate the other novels... Anyway, I think the little boy would live a better life since she doesn't have her mom's eyes and hair color so no one would suspect him to be of the Mist people and discriminate him.. Erin looks wonderful as a mom!

All in all, I am glad I watched this show. I remember the first time I watched it I was kind of put off by the cartoonish/childish background, but I had to give it a chance since I loved Seirei no Moribito. Very memorable indeed. I am actually listening to the OST right now, and it always give me the goosebumps in a good nostalgic way. I would give this episode an eight and the series a nine!
May 30, 2015 5:51 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty awesome ending. The scenes of Erin flying on Lilan were always beautiful but this time it was even better. So it all ends well and Erin is raising a kid and Kirik is now a good guy. Damiya is finally dead. Very uplifting ending.

Overall not as good as SnM but still a very good adventure with some fitting drama.
AizixMay 30, 2015 5:55 PM
Jul 8, 2015 2:36 PM

Jul 2008
Well I have to give this a 9/10. This anime was a real slow burn but the development that it allowed each character is a rare thing.

That said some of these characters were woefully naive and some were just useless. I wished Damiya got smacked around a bit more an had a slow death so he could wallow in his mistakes more.

Glad things did work out for Erin and Ial.
Jul 23, 2015 12:35 AM

Mar 2015
Lol what? Just when I was really starting to dig Erin x Ial, she randomly shows up with a kid with black eyes and dark brown hair? That is such a troll.

I'll give the entirety 6/10. I think the source material was mostly good, but the adaptation's low budget really showed and rather than try to stretch it out across 50 episodes, they maybe could've improved the art across less.
HalkenburgJul 23, 2015 12:45 AM
Aug 22, 2015 11:58 PM

Nov 2013
It was good ! really !

I would hav liked a bit more of what happened after the war because the whole "I got a kid but wasn't involved in any romance whatsoever during the story" was curious but ...ok. It's still good !

I'm so glad I found this anime.
Oct 10, 2015 6:50 PM

Jul 2007
In terms of story and characters this anime was fantastic. I'm glad that I got to watch such a gem finally. I have to say my favorite part was the first 7 episodes. No flashbacks, no reused animation over and over again and you learned new things in every single episode. The built up for Soyos death was amazing. After that it went downhill... They kept reusing the same scenes over and over and over and over again. I dunno if they had a budget problem but it was way over the line. Not to mention the flashbacks... oh god the flashcks... Anyways no more complaints. The anime had a lot of memorable scenes gotta mention my favorite in random order :

1) When Erins grandpa used his body as a shield to protect Soyon. That scene had so much impact and meaning behind it. Up to that point I thought that the anime was making too much of a deal regarding the laws and touda. I couldn't get why they kept repeating that punishment will fall upon them upon a single mistake again and again and how everyone accepted that. But you can tell by his reaction that he (and i believe everyone in the village) didn't agree with it. They HAD to obey them. I don't think that I'm conveying what I want properly here but the image I had up to that point for her grandpa was a cruel man that doesn't care for either of the and only wanted to follow the rules. Taking into account what this scene mean I couldn't be more wrong.

2) Soyons death. I don't think I have to write anything here... As emotional as it could get. Really well made.

3) First time we listen to Ial playing his harp. Although it never crossed mh mind at that point that Ial and Erin will end up together I instatly understood that there is gonna be something special between them. The song was beautful too. Extending that to the next episode where Ial threatens the stupid duo and Erin tell him "Don't use the same hands that play such a beautiful song to harm my friends" amazingly done.

4)Erin calling Jones dad... The foreshadowing for his death was really well made ;_;

5) Wild beast lord protecting their baby from Toudas and Lilan + Oku mating

Overall character and story wise this was 10/10. A really classic gem that everyone should watch. It's definitely not a child show. It's way more mature than it meets they eye.
Oct 12, 2015 1:39 PM

Apr 2014
hmmm that was a very enjoyable anime, but i have a few problems with it. still going to rate it 9/10 since it was really good but this is just me ranting

what the hell happened to that arrow in her back? it looked close to her heart, i was hoping a little more drama with that. i actually hoped that she would die, it would have left a deeper impact on me. wish they showed a little more after Lilan took her away and how Ial reacted, etc.

the whole thing about Nugan just felt....unnecessary. or at very least, anticlimatic. he had his glory for like 5 mins and then lost lol...they could have ended it with Shunan and the princess meeting up when she raised the blue flag without the whole Nugan thing

and what happened with the Mist People??? did they just let Erin do her thing even though they kept warning everything about their ancient codes or whatever? idk they could have done more with that

also wished their son had green eyes and hair, just my preference though :-)

another obvious complaint is the backflash overuse but it wasn't too terrible. there were a couple of songs that i really liked but the rest of them i got tired of hearing

overall i loved this anime but i feel like they could have done just a little more
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2015 12:51 AM

Nov 2013
Here when I thought this series will end by pulling death card for some "feels"
Anyway that was hell of ride, I quite enjoy this show and Erin is a very great characters. But I bothered by the amount of flashback, and the arc involving was kinda lame. Well, It was an alright show at the least
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 15, 2015 7:12 AM

Jun 2015
I don't judge the amount of flashbacks as a back thing, since I think they helped to show characters' growth.

Maybe Daimiya's character (because he's the bad one since his very first appeareance and his ambitions are quite unclear during the whole thing) and the fact that the end felt rushed in not showing what happened to many characters.

Still very enjoyable, great soundtrack and easily marathonable if you ask me. [b]9/10
Oct 25, 2015 7:27 AM
Mar 2015
wanted to like this show, and i did for the first 20+ episodes when Erin was still young, but too many small things kept this show from being great.
All of which has already been mentioned.
The overuse of flashbacks, repetitive songs, the two most idiotic characters i've ever seen (Nukku and Mokku), and the story was just too stretched out but then rushed at the end.
Also some other things i'm too lazy to list since it's already been said in this forum.
Decent show, but a lot of potential wasted.
Jan 14, 2016 8:09 PM

Jul 2015
I feel the same way as the guy above, the pacing was really inconsistent. The first 20 or so episodes were nothing short of a masterpiece, with great drama and lots of memorable and heartwarming moments, but the show started to drag forever during the Kazalm arc just to suddenly rush through things in the last quarter, with some of the characters not being mentioned ever again.

Oh well, even with its flaws, the show was still miles better than anything which has been airing recently. Solid 8/10 from me.
Jan 17, 2016 4:44 PM

Feb 2010
Anddd its over :(, twas a beautiful show indeed. The child though, neither blonde nor green hair, whose child is it??!!

Jan 19, 2016 8:42 PM

Apr 2013
For a 50 episode long series that mainly focuses on daily life of Erin the beast tamer girl it has way too many unnecessary elements to it. I can't even count how many times they kept recycling the same flashback scenes over and over again. And what was the point of building up the whole political mumbo jumbo if it had little relation to the actual plot ? The quirky duo add more fuel to the fire by being completely useless as characters and at some cases they even ruin a tear jerking moment by sticking their mug at a wrong time.
The series starts off good but somewhere towards the end loses it's charm.
Always-HungryJan 19, 2016 8:46 PM
Jan 21, 2016 7:13 PM
Jan 2016
What happen to lal in the end after he put an ending to the blundy did he meet with Erin or
Mar 17, 2016 4:41 PM

Jun 2011
Jonnieh said:
koreye said:
I dont know if you're seen moribito; but if you haven't, I'd highly recommend it. Its an epic fantasy by the same author. Moribito was not toned down, and its still something I would have enjoyed as a kid. The stories in the novels were meant for all ages in the first place, there was no need for toning it down any further, except for the violence.

I have seen Moribito, and it is a sack of shite. The prince is an annoying idiot for 12 episodes. Then you have two stupid orphan kids which the show focusses too much time on. A pansy doctor who has obviously castrated himself. The awful "political" plot, where nothing is complicated. Let's not forget random stargazer guy who also does nothing throughout the entire show except read. That's right, for 4 episodes you watch him reading. Then 8 episodes explore the prince's character now that he's not in a palace. Then the ending - don't get me started, it was godawful. I find it's in exactly the same mould as Erin actually, very bad story with some pretty good ideas, except Erin realises that the plot is extremely simple and aims to be a children's show instead. That's why I rate Erin.
Oh dang.. I was wondering if I should have any expectation for Seirei no Moribito at all, because it was written by the same author as Kemono no Souja Erin, and Erin was not a pleasant experience at all, not the second half at least. I suppose, it is not wise to raise my expectation for Seirei no Moribito.

As for Kemono no Souja Erin, as I've said multiple times, the show took a dip around the halfway mark, when Erin started attending that school. It does have its good moments every now and then, mostly associated with Lilan and her majestic figure, but majority of second half was really bad. I don't remember all of them, but just to name a few, are the inconsistency on the relationship between Erin and Lilan later in the series after Erin betrayed Lilan's trust, and the forced death of Erin's foster dad which was completely unnecessary.

The series showed much potential, and I was expecting this to turn out to be amazing, but unfortunately, this is after all, (I hate to say this) a show for kids. The setting and world building are wonderful, but could have been expanded beyond just Beast Lord and Touda; The art style is refreshing; The voice acting, especially for Erin, was awful; The music was a treat but too much repeating over the course of the series, kind of tired of it; The story is alright, but the execution was terrible and lazy/oversimplified; The cast of characters are meh at best, a lot in which do not have much relevancy, a lot are plain badly written characters, and a few average ones. The romance was terrible btw.
ToG25thBaamMar 17, 2016 4:56 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 3, 2016 1:13 PM
Dec 2015
I cried a lot of times during this series it was an amazing anime
I loved the relationship Erin had with basically everyone
Lilan and Erin just brings me to tears
But the big question who the hell did she marry
I vote lalu but I wished it was tomura- wishful thinking
But I do wish john was still alive even if I cried when soyon died and everything but john dying is just too unexpected and hurtful
Jul 27, 2016 8:11 PM

May 2013
i am completely safisy with the way the series ended. In my opionon this ending fits the series best even though I know the it didn't adapt the last two volumes, but I am okay with that since this was the ending the author prefer and this is her original ending. Nice to that Lilan did not leave Erin and they end up staying tighter. Also nice to see that Erin has a son now and I am pretty sure the father is Ial. Overall this is defentily the best anime I have seen in song time and it deserve it spot as my second favorite anime of all time.
Aug 29, 2016 12:02 AM

Nov 2011
A wonderful journey, thank you ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 7, 2016 4:09 AM
Jan 2016
I enjoyed this anime immensely, it was really amazing. The one thing I am a little confused about is that on Wikipedia in the episode list for Kemono no Soulja: In the episode 50 summary it said that the Erin marries Ial and she becomes the Master at Kazalm, but in the actual episode I did not see anything like that.

Take a look: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kemono_no_Souja_Erin_episodes
Nov 19, 2016 9:27 PM

Jul 2009
Great anime overall despite the crapload of flaws. Final episode was a nice wrap-up and not overly bombastic. It's not shown who Erin married, but I'm betting my undies it's gotta be Ia-lu.

Let's start with the flaws. The biggest problem I had with the show was that the Kazalm arc dragged on forever. Sometimes I felt the show kept threwing in fillers during that point. I'm all for animal farm slice of life, but not if it just repeats the same thing over and over again. The Kazalm arc also chewed off too much time from the final episodes, leaving the political arc half-baked.

Flashbacks were also a bit annoying, but I never found them to be much of a bother like most people claim. In fact, I didn't notice the amount of reused scenes until I read some comments in this board.

Now for the strengths. Erin herself is undeniably one of the best anime female characters I've ever seen, along with Nana Osaki and Lafiel Abriel. Child arc that lasted until pre-Kazalm was great, and the final 10 episodes were even better. Plot was solid and one of the most original in anime. Great world-building and rich lore. Characters were all good save for those two knuckleheads thieves, so thankfully they got less screentime later on. Spectacular visuals except for the occasionally bad CGI. Lilan is kawaii af.

So overall, this is a really high 8/10 in my book, which very nearly could've been a 9 if it weren't for the glaring flaws. Since I got 20 favorite slots, in goes this show and Erin herself! :)
SkittlesMay 4, 2017 4:27 AM
Jan 9, 2017 10:54 AM
Aug 2015
Great series, but yeah usage and re-usage of flashbacks way over the top
Apr 24, 2017 6:43 AM
Oct 2015
just finished watching the series and it was amazinggggggg!! i really loved it, it's been a while since i felt this empty feeling after watching an anime :p why is it soo underrated though?? like there isn't even an english dub version. This anime was great but there should of have been longer fight scenes or intense action scenes? i dont know what exactly but i felt like something was missing :/ did anyone read the novel? is it as good as the anime or even better? :)
Sep 18, 2017 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
beautiful, delightful show
had a great mix of everything tbh
i loved it, wish it was more well known

9/10
Mar 18, 2018 5:47 AM

Mar 2013
Slow pacing, repetitive flashbacks, and some bland characters, but this series has a storytelling charm we cannot experience anymore outside of feel-good movies. The amount of realism in terms of Erin's emotions and development were stunning, the drama, although predictable, was amazing, and the characterization of these animals were on point.

Even though it was heartbreaking, the severed links between the characters were so well made that I loved every single moment of the separations, to the point that I was craving these scenes.

Would definitely recommend!

Come visit the Rec club! Everyone gets confused as to what they want to watch or read next. :T

Here is the Official Rec Club list of Recommendations!
May 24, 2018 11:26 AM

Dec 2015
The anime started as something fine and slowly turned into a mess using flash back scene over and over and over to stretch out the episodes boring and unnecessary dialogue and a really bad and typical ending. 4/10
Aug 26, 2018 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
What a great way for it to end, I just wish the rest of the books were animated.

It's a pity that Nugan is a fool, because he got really hot, I mean, we don't see him paying for what he did. He doesn't die like Damiya nor is imprisoned or something, he killed his father, and he talked a lot about betrayal, but he was the one that betrayed the Queen, and there is just no closure for him, but well. Erin decimated his forces with Lilan, and their bond finally reached its highest point, she was able to stop Lilan's rampage using only her words, something that Je wasn't capable of doing with Luke, and I loved it. I was also surprised that the second person to ever fly on a Beast-Lord after the tragedy from centuries ago was Shunan, he might have been really impressed. But man, his soldiers were stupid, couldn't they tell by the situation that Lilan was tamed? They fired arrows that could've made her go berserk, and that almost killed Erin even though they saved their lord, I was infuriated at their poor judgment. It might have been really hard for Lilan to leave Erin like that, but Seimiya was there again asking for someone to save Erin, and then Lilan hears it and goes to save her. It was great, Erin was reminiscing their bond, and how she wanted to know more about Lilan, and also about her mother, she was almost giving up, but she wanted to live, and did what her could to get away from there, but wounded, and on foot she would never make it, I could swear for a moment that she was going to die just like her mom, but Lilan did it, she gently held her with her mouth, and her teeth didn't hurt her. It was beautiful, Beast-Lords aren't only majestic, they are also really smart creatures, capable of loving someone.

And then when she's safe, Shunan and Seimiya were finally able to talk, vowing to reach to each other, but Damiya wasn't having it, and I loved that he tried to kill Shunan because it gave Ial a reason to kill him, and he had to die. He wouldn't leave them or Erin alone, and he was beyond redemption. And I never got really fond of Kiriku, but it's nice that he's giving himself another chance by helping people with his knowledge. And I loved the glimpse at Shunan and Seimiya's wedding, they were beautiful, truly regal, and how it was Erin that made everything possible. Oh, and Jessie is one precious boy, and Owl is doing fine. Erin is also looking gorgeous as a mom, I loved the little correlation between the image or her with her son with the one of her child self with her mother, it was beautiful. I'm just mad the anime didn't confirm that Ial was the father, and that they are together. I mean, it has to be Ial, right? I was expecting until the very end for him to join them... Those arts were beautiful though.

On a side note: even Yuuyan and Kashugan got married and had three kids, I feel for Tomura-senpai, being alone and all. lol
Sep 21, 2018 8:48 PM
Aug 2015
I LOVED this show. And I don't normally praise something so much, but to me this one was something really special, all 50 episodes. It's not perfect, and I'd agree with some of the earlier comments about too many flashbacks (and ep 25 filler, though I still liked that ep somehow), but I'm going to give it the highest recommendation for people that like fantasy stories and animals with mushishi level pacing.
Sep 21, 2018 9:42 PM

Jul 2015
Chapterhouse said:
I LOVED this show. And I don't normally praise something so much, but to me this one was something really special, all 50 episodes. It's not perfect, and I'd agree with some of the earlier comments about too many flashbacks (and ep 25 filler, though I still liked that ep somehow), but I'm going to give it the highest recommendation for people that like fantasy stories and animals with mushishi level pacing.

I didn't mind the flashbacks, or recaps either. I gave them a bit of a pass, because, Its a 50 episode series and was airing weekly when being released. The only thing I thought the series could of used was an epilogue episode showing in more detail what happened with Erin/her family, and the more prevalent side characters.
Oct 7, 2018 11:53 AM

Jul 2015
Rushed ending, so it seems that those 50 episode only adapt half of the story, if you want a summary of what happen next someone did it https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1601026
Jan 3, 2019 2:06 AM

Sep 2008
ToG25thBaam said:
Jonnieh said:

I have seen Moribito, and it is a sack of shite. The prince is an annoying idiot for 12 episodes. Then you have two stupid orphan kids which the show focusses too much time on. A pansy doctor who has obviously castrated himself. The awful "political" plot, where nothing is complicated. Let's not forget random stargazer guy who also does nothing throughout the entire show except read. That's right, for 4 episodes you watch him reading. Then 8 episodes explore the prince's character now that he's not in a palace. Then the ending - don't get me started, it was godawful. I find it's in exactly the same mould as Erin actually, very bad story with some pretty good ideas, except Erin realises that the plot is extremely simple and aims to be a children's show instead. That's why I rate Erin.
Oh dang.. I was wondering if I should have any expectation for Seirei no Moribito at all, because it was written by the same author as Kemono no Souja Erin, and Erin was not a pleasant experience at all, not the second half at least. I suppose, it is not wise to raise my expectation for Seirei no Moribito.

As for Kemono no Souja Erin, as I've said multiple times, the show took a dip around the halfway mark, when Erin started attending that school. It does have its good moments every now and then, mostly associated with Lilan and her majestic figure, but majority of second half was really bad. I don't remember all of them, but just to name a few, are the inconsistency on the relationship between Erin and Lilan later in the series after Erin betrayed Lilan's trust, and the forced death of Erin's foster dad which was completely unnecessary.

The series showed much potential, and I was expecting this to turn out to be amazing, but unfortunately, this is after all, (I hate to say this) a show for kids. The setting and world building are wonderful, but could have been expanded beyond just Beast Lord and Touda; The art style is refreshing; The voice acting, especially for Erin, was awful; The music was a treat but too much repeating over the course of the series, kind of tired of it; The story is alright, but the execution was terrible and lazy/oversimplified; The cast of characters are meh at best, a lot in which do not have much relevancy, a lot are plain badly written characters, and a few average ones. The romance was terrible btw.

You can take Jonnieh's opinion with a grain of salt because a majority of people who have seen Moribito (including myself) believe that Serei no moribito is an excellent show. It's far superior anime to most fantasy-themed anime out there. If you like epic or high fantasy themed anime like 12 Kingdoms, Legend of Arslan, and Guin Saga, you will probably like Serei no Morbito a lot. It's not like Erin at all. Just trust me and give it a shot. Jonnieh's opinion is among very small minority.

The only real downside to Moribito is that it should be 13 episodes instead of 24 (just as Erin should have been 25 eps instead of a whopping 50). Other than that, Moribito is far more mature and better made, better directed anime.
eyerokJan 3, 2019 2:10 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 3, 2019 2:37 PM

Jun 2011
eyerok said:
You can take Jonnieh's opinion with a grain of salt because a majority of people who have seen Moribito (including myself) believe that Serei no moribito is an excellent show. It's far superior anime to most fantasy-themed anime out there. If you like epic or high fantasy themed anime like 12 Kingdoms, Legend of Arslan, and Guin Saga, you will probably like Serei no Morbito a lot. It's not like Erin at all. Just trust me and give it a shot. Jonnieh's opinion is among very small minority.

The only real downside to Moribito is that it should be 13 episodes instead of 24 (just as Erin should have been 25 eps instead of a whopping 50). Other than that, Moribito is far more mature and better made, better directed anime.
I've actually watched the series, iirc, right after this one. Don't really remember a lot but based on my commentary in the ep discussion thread, the second half, like Erin, was also rather disappointing. I was also not too fond of Balsa. The series is not bad, but not a memorable one imo, though I was open for another season of Moribito.
Jan 6, 2019 1:25 AM

Sep 2008
ToG25thBaam said:
eyerok said:

I've actually watched the series, iirc, right after this one. Don't really remember a lot but based on my commentary in the ep discussion thread, the second half, like Erin, was also rather disappointing. I was also not too fond of Balsa. The series is not bad, but not a memorable one imo, though I was open for another season of Moribito.

Too bad we didn't get one.
I think the reason the second half came off as anti-climatic was that the build-up was really good, and it took it's sweet time. If the anime was 13 episodes (which is enough for one light novel IMO) it would have been much much better. At least that's my opinion. But I still like Moribito a lot more than all the other epic and high fantasy anime I have seen (I just love the genre I guess). The one exception being 12 Kingdoms, which had a much better story (covering several books in 50 eps, if I remember correctly)
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 12, 2019 11:25 AM

Jun 2011
eyerok said:
Too bad we didn't get one.
I think the reason the second half came off as anti-climatic was that the build-up was really good, and it took it's sweet time. If the anime was 13 episodes (which is enough for one light novel IMO) it would have been much much better. At least that's my opinion. But I still like Moribito a lot more than all the other epic and high fantasy anime I have seen (I just love the genre I guess). The one exception being 12 Kingdoms, which had a much better story (covering several books in 50 eps, if I remember correctly)
I was really surprised when I read that the entirety of the Balsa anime only covered a single volume of the novel, definitely think that 2 cour is way too much for a single novel volume, shortening the anime would've helped. I look forward to watching 12 Kingdoms.
Feb 28, 2019 4:52 AM

May 2007
They must've had some budget issues toward the end, flashbacking every 2-3 min.
Great show otherwise.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.