Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2014 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
Hmm... I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say here... Haven't seen the older version but I guess this was so so...
Jul 5, 2014 4:27 AM

Jul 2011
emeraldrosary said:

Serena/Usagi: Moon Tiara Boomerang
Me: Moon Tiara Magiii-eh?

That little change really totally threw me off ^_^

I'm happy that a lot of people like Darien. I'm not alone! It's true Serena is a bit boring in the beginning, but she truly shines when she is in the company of others. On that note, I cannot wait for her to meet Ami, Rei, Lida, and Mina!

haha i saw it change actually, from ur first post to your second it changed! anyways Im loving the representation of princes serenity!

Yeah i was like boomerang, wasn' t it moon tiara action? Anyways i love the new way she throws it, it converts automatically when she touches it! and it doesn't convert to a frisbee haha.
Jul 5, 2014 4:28 AM

Sep 2012
Nostalgia wasn't enough to carry this for me. I didn't care for it at all. We'll see if things get better from here.
Jul 5, 2014 4:28 AM
May 2013
it was good. the CGI transformation could use some revisiting in 2D. the attack animations in 2D were well done.
Jul 5, 2014 4:29 AM

Mar 2012
comment deleted, eh?

Bisky chama is that you?

It was pretty enjoyable. Liked the visuals and the mood overall. Did not like Usagi voice at first but as minutes passed it became funny. An, lets keep watching.

Dunno why they did not introduce that otaku boy the same way as the others. Without sparkles and others effects that shoujo like to add. Was there any reason?
huntxJul 5, 2014 4:35 AM
Jul 5, 2014 4:34 AM

Jan 2011
One word: Amazing! Got flooded by so many childhood memos :D
I've watched it on Crunchyroll. Counted down (till 12 O'Clock here in Poland) and my first reaction was "Were the hell are my subs! O .o" but then it started. Although I missed Moonlight Densetsu a bit, but the new Opening still was really, really great. Very good job Momoiro Clover Z. The Art looks really great and the OST's were good too. A few sentences of the characters and materials (like the Goggles) from the Manga were missing, but it's nothing bad and is still very close to the Manga compared to the 90' Anime :) As for the CGI transformation I understand, that so many people are disappointed, but as for me it wasn't utterly ugly, albeit like I wrote in another post already, some elements, like the spaghetti arms and legs or the overgrown ribbon on her chest could be done much better by Toei ;F The funny parts and expressions were on a more mature stage compared to the old Anime. I must say, I missed the ol' funny parts, like the Sailor V Kick in the door, that was more hilarious back then. Still it was amusing. I'm looking forward to the next episode :D

P.S: No episode 2 preview at the end, or did I miss it somehow :o ?

Jul 5, 2014 4:35 AM

Jul 2013
Enjoyable enough for a first episode
Jul 5, 2014 4:35 AM

Jul 2011
emeraldrosary said:

The ED was very pretty. I wonder where Moonlight Densetsu is though? The producers better include it somewhere or else in the name of the Moon I shall punish them. !

I just saw this! haha i kr!! that is like totally the best ED ever! i hope they include the princess serenity tune too, the one from the locket!
Jul 5, 2014 4:37 AM

Oct 2008
So far so good. I have no complaints, but I'm gonna have to get used to Luna's new voice..

Jul 2007
So far VERY closely following the manga. I like that.

They also managed to not over-exaggerate Usagi's personality, since "crybaby and clumsy" are not defining characteristics, but something every teenager is, especially the one who is so apathetic to her life and prefers the dreams of her sleep over it.

5/5

MoonxArtemis said:
emeraldrosary said:

Serena/Usagi: Moon Tiara Boomerang
Me: Moon Tiara Magiii-eh?

That little change really totally threw me off ^_^

I'm happy that a lot of people like Darien. I'm not alone! It's true Serena is a bit boring in the beginning, but she truly shines when she is in the company of others. On that note, I cannot wait for her to meet Ami, Rei, Lida, and Mina!

haha i saw it change actually, from ur first post to your second it changed! anyways Im loving the representation of princes serenity!

Yeah i was like boomerang, wasn' t it moon tiara action? Anyways i love the new way she throws it, it converts automatically when she touches it! and it doesn't convert to a frisbee haha.

Nope. IT has always been boomerang. The "moon tiara action" was anime-only invention. Most of the senshi will have differently named attacks and powers than previous anime.

j0x said:
for the manga readers how many chapters they animated on this episode?

and not bad for a first episode i cannot wait to see how Sailor Soldiers are far better fighters than Dragonball fighters lol like i hear that Sailor Soldiers can travel an entire galaxy in just seconds and that Sailor Soldiers can destroy planets as well

One chapter.

The first story arc, the "Sailor Moon" has total of 13 chapters, followed by
with similar length so
will be done in ~13 episodes or so.

silverwalls said:
j0x said:

so its gonna be 1 chapter per episode then huh, i guess 26 episodes is not enough and we gonna see some second season for this

the dark kingdom arc covers 26 chapters, so i think it will be 1 chapter per episode.
i hope for a season 2 too, i want to see my favorite senshi in the new anime ;_;

Incorrect.

Dark Kingdom arc(Sailor Moon moon arc) lasts ~13 chapters and then we get a transition chapter and
, which also lasts for ~13 chapters.

SO the first season, Crystal will cover first two arcs since both of them have something to do with the silver crystal. And then we most likely will get different subtitle for other story arcs

Dec 2010
silverwalls said:
j0x said:

so its gonna be 1 chapter per episode then huh, i guess 26 episodes is not enough and we gonna see some second season for this

the dark kingdom arc covers 26 chapters, so i think it will be 1 chapter per episode.
i hope for a season 2 too, i want to see my favorite senshi in the new anime ;_;

Nope, the dark kingdom arc covers 13 chapters. We'll most likely also get Black Moon this season.
Jul 5, 2014 4:38 AM

Jun 2014
That was really enjoyable, it's nice to see sailor moon back. I'm a bit mixed about the cgi, but the overall animation was really pretty.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 5, 2014 4:44 AM

Nov 2011
I loved it. And to be honest I saw the transformation scene before, and the first time i watched it i guess i was a bit disappointed that they chose the 3d animation. BUT I don't dislike it. I saw some gesture detailing (like her fingers) that made me see, in fact, that effort has been put in it to make it look like the old choreography. Also considering that the manga couldn't show "movements" so this was only based on old anime. There's a "convex lens" effect that ppl find annoying.... but I think they HAD to use this simply because her limbs are too long and too thin and without that convex view everything would have looked like STICKS. Overall, I do think they thought about it and this is a good solution out of many possibly bad outcomes. Which I appreciate.

The characters look great, the hairs are all much lighter in color. I guess that's also due to manga, its Takeuchi's pastel hair colors I recognize. They kept some of the human figure style from the old anime, which is not entirely as in the manga. The manga had every limb on kinda too rounded bent. And for example when Naru was cornered by the monster, I recognized a lot of the old style, and less of the manga. I liked that. Also on the first scene with the princess... that was very old style xD

The backgrounds weren't all that great but I think they tried to stick to the old anime as well. The backgrounds there were almost exactly the same, no actual details, just some grungy coloring. I liked it back then, it gave a slight feel of mystery, however that feeling did not come through in the current version. But I clearly saw they were trying to reproduce it.

The music. Well I hate Momoiro Clover thing. I have to say I googled them before when I heard they were to do the opening of SM. And what I found was terrible. The girls have no talent, hearing them live was the most pathetic attempt of sounding at least human. Whatever we hear now is just fake digital effects and stuff. Not to mention their voices tones don't even match one another. It's a terrible experience. And the song is not at all as memorable as the previous one. It lacks the drama and that is not fitting. Because especially the first season of Sailor Moon is a rather sad one, full of painful memories, nostalgia and love... Even the lyrics of Moonlight Densetsu were powerful in meaning and connected to the manga! This current version is not. And I'm guessing it's not sending the right message.
BUT. The rest of the music seems very well done. I know Takanashi kinda uses the same things over and over, smth that applies mmostly to his "lively" songs. I am glad i never watched precure to make me feel like it's a copied tune, cause that's what I hear from the rest of the people. So to me it's pretty unique. It still doesn't sound like Fairy Tail or Naruto and that's great, I feared he would make me remember the shounen anime too much. The chorus was a great option, sends that cosmic feeling that Sailor Moon has. ALSO I see he tried to copy bits of the slice of life tunes when Usagi runs home/to school.... that's very nice. Too bad the riginal composer died. Trully amazing person and genius musician, would have been so so so so so so so awesome to hear him compose again the soundtrack. SO AWESOME. Life is just so cruel and unfair and I wish wherever he is now, if there is anything like god or whatever, I wish he found something deserving of his genius and sense.

The voices. Well I can't complain here, I liked Mamoru's voice, sounded pretty hot. He looked that too. Lol. The only voice I didn't like was Usagi's. The old version or just say the YOUNGER version of her voice (actress) was a lot better. It had those moments when Usagi was turning serious or sad and then it sounded like you wanted to hug her. Such a sweet, delicate, velvety voice.... It sounds nothing like it now. And there WERE moments she could have sounded like that.... but I guess the actress got too old for that. Too bad.

The feeling however is there. The scenes with the princess had it. Definitely. Especially the running sequence. I think it was done right. It evoked a lot of what the princess might have felt about those moments. It connected to me very well and it's the reason why I'll say the director doesn't suck and I'm sure he figured it out.

Being rushed... well. I knew it would be the moment I read that it would follow the manga. The old anime had it's advantage too, like the fact that it made SM not look rushed at all. Also the old anime dug more on the characters' personalities, something that the manga kind of lacks and this might as well look bad in this current version... which is sad.
Anyway, the first episodes to me were never that great, and I mean not even first manga chapters. I just don't really connect to the story when there's just Usagi, without all the other girls. Because it has no slice of life feeling to it, the marginally characters like Umino don't actually make you care about them and it feels like Usagi is kind of lonely and this side of the story is boring. The best bits of cake come when everybody is together and they are presented a bit more like humans with their own dramas....

Anyway, I really am happy they did this, and I am very happy with the way it went! Too bad it's just once every 2 damn weeks...
MorridineJul 5, 2014 4:49 AM
Jul 5, 2014 4:48 AM
Feb 2013
It was definitely better than what I thought it would be from the trailer. Gotta love Usagi-chan! I'm probably in the minority but I actually liked the CG transformation. It's just too bad we gotta wait 2 weeks for the next ep, I wanna see Amy!
Jul 5, 2014 4:49 AM

Jul 2007
Morridine said:

Being rushed... well. I knew it would be the moment I read that it would follow the manga. The old anime had it's advantage too, like the fact that it made SM not look rushed at all. Also the old anime dug more on the characters' personalities, something that the manga kind of lacks and this might as well look bad in this current version... which is sad.

At the cost of making them completely unlike manga counterparts you mean?

Pretty much every senshi was turned into "generic 90's girl stereotype" ignoring differences

Usagi became pretty much entirely different person from her manga counterpart, never learning her lessons(since anime basically took the first chapter personalization and ran with it without exploring WHY she is behaving like that), Rei was pretty much only sharing the name with her manga counterpart and Minako's
wa never even visible in anime. How about turning Mamoru into nothing more than a plot device instead of his relatively far bigger and complex role in the manga?

ANd I am sorry but I don't see any benefits to having ~30 episodes of cartoony clown villain goons appearing one after the other(since yet again the old anime ran with the designs of first few villains, ignoring the fact that manga villains grew more nightmare fuelish over time after the introuctory phase).
AhenshihaelJul 5, 2014 4:54 AM
Jul 5, 2014 4:50 AM

Apr 2013
That was really enjoyable
Old school yet manage to bring a refreshing looks and feels from the old anime.
I really like the episode with the well done animation, wonderful music and Usagi chan is adorable as ever.
Opening and ending are great
Very solid episode
and I think the CG is fine
Jul 5, 2014 4:59 AM
Jan 2008
I saw the poster a while ago, and I had mixed feelings about it. Of course, I remember the old art from the anime, so I have to take my time to get adjusted to the vibrant colours. I don't like how they did the backgrounds too. The backgrounds remind me of how the old Sailor Moon was, while the characters are in the new style. It doesn't feel right, it's not that it's annoying to watch, it's just weird to see different styles in the same screenshot. Also, Usagi always walking around with lipstick is also something I have to get used too. The combination of the lipstick/lipgloss and the current art, makes Usagi look like she would be 17 instead of 14...

As for the voice actors, it's too bad that the whole cast except Tsukino Usagi has changed. I went through the cast list before watching the episode, and I think they will fit the characters though, it just makes Usagi's voice out of place. In the old anime, it was perfect, but in this version, I don't know for sure about her voice. I nearly fell of my chair when I heard that the voice actor for Chiba Mamoru is Nojima Kenji and that Jadeite is voiced by Kisho Daisuke.

I like both the opening and ending song, I didn't watch the episode with subs, so I didn't completely understand what the lyrics mean, but it sounds good. Though, I wonder why they put 3D in the first and last part of the opening. 3D always looks so fake.... Same with the transformation. I wish they would stop adding 3D animation to anime... It just doesn't look right. But maybe that is just me. I haven't been a fan of 3D animation in anime ever since they did that in Kirarin Revolution.

But so far so good. I really like the anime so far. Though there are still things I have to get used to, I will continue to watch the anime. Sailor Moon will always be a part of me
Jul 5, 2014 5:01 AM

Mar 2012
I've never watched Sailor Moon but I have thought about doing so several times and now I'm wondering why I never bothered because it seems like its going to be a pretty decent series. At first I thought Usagi was annoying but as the episode progressed I began to like her. My favourite character is probably Luna.

Both the open and ending songs were good and suited the show. However the CGI scene of all the Sailors at the beginning and end of the opening sequence was pretty bad.

I've heard many things about the infamous transformations scenes and I was looking forward to them but the CGI ruined it however I did like the space patter flowing through Usagi's body during the transformation (don't know if thats been done before but it was a nice touch).

I'll be looking forward to the rest as long as Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask recognise each other and there isn't an 'Ash never recognising Team Rocket in their shitty disguises' situation between the two.
Jul 5, 2014 5:04 AM
Mar 2013
I read the manga and watched all the first anime (and rewatched some months ago) and I just love this reboot. I am pretty sure it will be much better than the original anime, since it is following the manga.

What I love: The new design. Ok, the transformation scene was a crap, but Usagi and Mamoru looks so much better! Mamoru is really handsome, like he should be. I like it and I think Usagi looks cute, instead of too stupid like before.

What I Hate: Sailor moon legs. Holy crap, that girl's legs looks like bigger than my whole body and I am 22. It looks so weird. She looks more like 18 than 14, also.

What I don't really care: Voice actors. I didn't watch the original anime in japanese, so I don't know how it was before. Usagi's voice is a bit annoying, like almost all anime girls (and that is why I prefer mangas, no voice actors :P), but I like Mamoru's voice. Luna's voice is nice, also.

What I expect: No monster of the day, please! Just follow the manga. I can't stand thousands of episodes with stupid monsters again. I am not 6 anymore.

What I will miss: The original soundtrack! I prefer the original songs. I wish they could bring back Moonlight Densetsu with a remake. It is a pretty song and I think it's better than the new opening. I will also miss the transformation song of sailor uranus and neptune if they appear someday. That was the best music of the anime.

I am anxious to see Usagi and Mamoru first kiss. And I want to see Zoisite without being a girl, btw lol

26 episodes... I hope it covers only the dark kingdom, it would be perfect 1 chapter of the manga per episode. But I want so much to see Prince Diamond, Setsuna, Hotaru, Haruka and Michiru... They need to make a season 2!

Also, back to the transformation, I think it could be a 20 seconds transformation and would be better. In the last time I watched the old anime, I was just skipping all the transformations after episode 1 because it was annoying. The same with the moon tiara boomerang and monster of the day fights. I hope they don't show that transformation in all the episodes, just in this one and the first other sailors transformations. That would be nice. If we make some math, each transformation of sailor moon would need 60 seconds. With 26 episodes, this would be 26 minutes, or 1 anime episode. Just too much.
Jul 5, 2014 5:07 AM

Nov 2011
Fai said:
Morridine said:

At the cost of making them completely unlike manga counterparts you mean?

Pretty much every senshi was turned into "generic 90's girl stereotype" ignoring differences

Usagi became pretty much entirely different person from her manga counterpart, never learning her lessons(since anime basically took the first chapter personalization and ran with it without exploring WHY she is behaving like that), Rei was pretty much only sharing the name with her manga counterpart and Minako's
wa never even visible in anime. How about turning Mamoru into nothing more than a plot device instead of his relatively far bigger and complex role in the manga?

ANd I am sorry but I don't see any benefits to having ~30 episodes of cartoony clown villain goons appearing one after the other(since yet again the old anime ran with the designs of first few villains, ignoring the fact that manga villains grew more nightmare fuelish over time after the introuctory phase).

Well I read the manga recently. I know what you mean. But I also know of episodes that dug into the characters a lot more than the manga. Like Minako's volleyball episode, Minako's trying to win a singing competition episode, Minako meeting an old aquintance which she fell in love in the past episode... All sad episodes about Minako which evoked, esentially, the type of girl she was. It's well done in the anime too, except probably hard to remember and since not all of them are "cannon" material I suppose everyone rejects them? But they DO do justice to the character IMO. After all, it's the first anime that made me love SM, not the manga at all. Also, Minako appears to the girsl in the same context, won't spoil it, but it's the same as the manga.

And I don't really know about Mamoru. What you say now I read somewhere, I remember. Dunno why peple keep repeating it. He completely lost screen time in the later seasons but how can you say it was turned into a simple plot device until then? Especially the first season it was exactly the same. It was delayed alot, yes, their "remembering" or the past lives. But that is also what made their relationship more exciting and turned the moments in the final episodes of first season a lot more dramatic, while in the manga they have a lot less impact. The manga rushed through those final scenes and generally rushes through ALL final scenes.

Also, I don't agree with Usagi not learning her lessons. OFC she essentially stays the same. She becomes more courageous in time and more dedicated to saving her friends which is what I loved about her. What lesson is she ot learning exactly?
Jul 5, 2014 5:12 AM

Apr 2012
Oh all these memories!!! I missed alot Usagi's voice!

Character design is closer to the manga style which I found ok.
I didn't like much the transformation but I might get used to it in the future.

I'll keep watching this! ;-)
Jul 5, 2014 5:12 AM

Jan 2008
Unfortunately it's not Sato Junichi leading this, but the nostalgia is too strong. This is the first anime I've ever seen, and so I'll be watching the rest of it.

I wonder what they're going to do with Pluto? Since...you know.
Jul 5, 2014 5:18 AM

Jun 2012
I can't stand Usagi's voice....

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jul 5, 2014 5:18 AM

Jun 2008
http://d3dsacqprgcsqh.cloudfront.net/photo/aozbZ3w_700b.jpg

EDIT: LOL epic fail this picture is
DizzeeJul 5, 2014 5:39 AM
Jul 5, 2014 5:25 AM

Nov 2011
Yukon said:

I've heard many things about the infamous transformations scenes and I was looking forward to them but the CGI ruined it however I did like the space patter flowing through Usagi's body during the transformation (don't know if thats been done before but it was a nice touch).

Here are both transformations, compared :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xXXfvBPc0
Jul 5, 2014 5:25 AM

May 2013
Ahhh... The nostalgia. I haven't watched the full series yet back then but yeah, Sailor Moon has returned~

Well, Usagi's voice kinda irritates me sometimes but she's a childish girl so I hope I'll get use to it. And also, Mamoru... I'M FANGIRLING NOW. The CG transformation didn't bothered me that much, I am wondering why this episode was 24 minutes long. I thought it is 30 minutes?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 5, 2014 5:27 AM

Jul 2013

If Clark Kent can do it, so can the Sailors
Jul 5, 2014 5:29 AM

Jul 2007
Morridine said:

Well I read the manga recently. I know what you mean. But I also know of episodes that dug into the characters a lot more than the manga. Like Minako's volleyball episode, Minako's trying to win a singing competition episode, Minako meeting an old aquintance which she fell in love in the past episode... All sad episodes about Minako which evoked, esentially, the type of girl she was. It's well done in the anime too, except probably hard to remember and since not all of them are "cannon" material I suppose everyone rejects them? But they DO do justice to the character IMO. After all, it's the first anime that made me love SM, not the manga at all. Also, Minako appears to the girsl in the same context, won't spoil it, but it's the same as the manga.

Not really, because none of that sonds like something Minako would do. She's

Rei is turned into vain romance-chasing tsundere obsessed with popularity while none of that exists in Rei's character, since its Usagi who is a tsundere and Rei is more of a ojou-sama stereotype.

And I don't really know about Mamoru. What you say now I read somewhere, I remember. Dunno why peple keep repeating it. He completely lost screen time in the later seasons but how can you say it was turned into a simple plot device until then? Especially the first season it was exactly the same. It was delayed alot, yes, their "remembering" or the past lives. But that is also what made their relationship more exciting and turned the moments in the final episodes of first season a lot more dramatic, while in the manga they have a lot less impact. The manga rushed through those final scenes and generally rushes through ALL final scenes.

Manga actually gives clear reasons for Mamoru to BE there where he is and to have a bigger role, while in previous anime he conveniently appears to give what is essentially a battle hint system in an rpg game. No personality, no mystery.

Also, I don't agree with Usagi not learning her lessons. OFC she essentially stays the same. She becomes more courageous in time and more dedicated to saving her friends which is what I loved about her. What lesson is she ot learning exactly?

She should not stay the same.

If you did not notice,
. while in previous anime, dozen episodes after that, she is still munching food or being a complete idiot.

With all due respect, she did not see her.

which shatters that trope.
Jul 5, 2014 5:38 AM

Aug 2013
Oh man the memories...I feel like a little kid again. Tears have been shed. *sniffles*

That voice...KOTONO! I can only vaguely remember the first episode of the original one or the manga but when they said "jewelry shop" I was like wait...I know this! XD

Tuxedo Mask! *fangirl scream*

I said Moon Prism Power make up! I did and I'm not ashamed. I tried to resist but I couldn't haha. And the iconic line..ah this is like being reunited with an old friend. When I first saw the leaked transformation scene I was like ehh that's fugly. For this episode though I didn't mind it, my eyesight was too blurry from all the tears.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 5, 2014 5:44 AM

May 2012
Pretty good episode.

Now it didn't blow my mind, but I still liked it. Usagi made this episode for me. Love her character personality. The transformation scene was okay. It looked good, but would have preferred it not to be in cgi. The animation looks old and new. Also they got to be lying that she is 14. She does not look it at all. Other than I enjoyed this first episode.

4/5. Can't wait to see next episode.
Jul 5, 2014 5:45 AM

Jul 2007
So glad this is back with us, been anticipating this anime since it was announced!

So much nostalgia within the episode, both from the manga and anime. Have to say I missed Mamo's 90's sweater fashion from the show, but I do like and had to laugh at the Tuxedo he wears when Usagi bumps into him. 'Who wears a Tuxedo during the day??' indeed!

LOVED the Luna scene and how it fits the manga -- no mean little kids picking on her this time when we first see her.

I really have to agree about feeling like a child again. I think I was even talking along with the 'in the name of the moon, I will punish you!' line! Oh, how I missed this show and these characters.

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Jul 5, 2014 5:49 AM

Feb 2011
I'll just keep it simple.

LOVED everything about it, except the transformation scene, but I usually skip those so no big deal. Looking forward to more!
Jul 5, 2014 5:50 AM

Dec 2013
The original series are totally perfect, but Sailor moon crystal had something fresh to it that I liked. The animation was the best part, since the story is the same. I can't wait for the next episodes.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jul 5, 2014 5:51 AM

Feb 2008
The episode looked rather cheap. Not what I would expect from a remake. The point is usually looking better than the original and not worse. And the voice actor changes take away the charm the old show had. But of course, Toei has to be that cheap and not hire the original VAs in favor of some cheap ones. Tuxedo Mask without the voice of Toru Furuya just doesn't work.

While it's faithful to the manga, it'll sadly be a 1:1 adaptation without much added to it, so all villains are going to be completely one dimensional, or better said, monsters of the week. The four bishounens from the Dark Kingdom arc were expanded pretty well in the original show, while in the manga they are just monsters of the week, without any personality at all.

Oh well, as a Sailor Moon fan, I'm disappointed in Toei and the adaptation. Guess Toei just loves money and doesn't care about their shows.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 5, 2014 5:54 AM
Mar 2013
Now, just a pic comparing Mamoru before and after:
http://i.imgur.com/oSuEGfe.jpg

I know the first anime is old and all, but he really looks handsome now. I never cared about him when I was a child, but now I am fangirling :3
Jul 5, 2014 6:02 AM

Jun 2010
The transformation scene was ok to me, I don't see how it is so horrible...
Usagi's voice is irritating to the point I wished she would shut up lol but I guess I will get used to it.
There were some ugly shots and I'm not a fan of the style overall, it works very well in the manga but I'm not sure in the anime, it looks less lively. Also maybe it's just me again but the episode felt slow (40-50 pages in one episode)

But in the end it was an okay episode and I'll continue watching
Jul 5, 2014 6:03 AM

Apr 2009
Wow, this was incredibly underwhelming even after I lowered my expectations.

Usagi has the expression range of a mannequin and makes even Bleach character expressions look diverse. The visuals are pretty, but way too CLAMP and are not enough to cover up for the mediocre animation. This is not a TV series, this is an OVA that came out after a long production period - it should look way better. Speaking of looks, the transformation sequence was hideous. Likewise, the new Mamoru lacks a lot of the charm the old one had.

The OST was- even if kinda cliched - not bad though and the opening and ending themes are ok as well Let's be real: We all wanted Moonlight Densetsu instead.

Another word about the pacing and this entire "more faithful" argument in here as well: The original manga was made at the same time as the series, which is the reason why so many "filler" episodes even exist in the first place. Naoko created Sailor V first (even though that ran long after SM started as well), Toei approached her, she wanted to do a tokusatsu show (e.g. Power Rangers) with girls and so they amde a concept and started at the same time. The series is more or less an original anime instead of an adaption if you ask me. And while I agree that the old series may had "too much" content aka filler (S2 and S4...), the manga def. has too little content as well. Henchmen are way better developed in the old series and a lot of filler episdes serve to build up the main characters. I kinda hoped that Toei would compromise and carry over the good original content to this adaption while keeping it more faithful to the manga, but it seems I was mistaken.

And it's not really a case of nostalgia either as I started to rewatch everything 3 months ago... this is just a bad start for a remake, period.

ZetaZaku said:
The episode looked rather cheap. Not what I would expect from a remake. The point is usually looking better than the original and not worse. And the voice actor changes take away the charm the old show had. But of course, Toei has to be that cheap and not hire the original VAs in favor of some cheap ones. Tuxedo Mask without the voice of Toru Furuya just doesn't work.

While it's faithful to the manga, it'll sadly be a 1:1 adaptation without much added to it, so all villains are going to be completely one dimensional, or better said, monsters of the week. The four bishounens from the Dark Kingdom arc were expanded pretty well in the original show, while in the manga they are just monsters of the week, without any personality at all.

Oh well, as a Sailor Moon fan, I'm disappointed in Toei and the adaptation. Guess Toei just loves money and doesn't care about their shows.

Exactly.
NidhoeggrJul 5, 2014 6:16 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 5, 2014 6:03 AM

Jan 2014
Amazing!!! :)
Jul 5, 2014 6:04 AM

Nov 2011
Fai said:

Not really, because none of that sonds like something Minako would do. She's

Rei is turned into vain romance-chasing tsundere obsessed with popularity while none of that exists in Rei's character, since its Usagi who is a tsundere and Rei is more of a ojou-sama stereotype.

Manga actually gives clear reasons for Mamoru to BE there where he is and to have a bigger role, while in previous anime he conveniently appears to give what is essentially a battle hint system in an rpg game. No personality, no mystery.

She should not stay the same.

If you did not notice,
. while in previous anime, dozen episodes after that, she is still munching food or being a complete idiot.

Well you are at least partly wrong on stuff i can check fast. You can't say "none of that is what Minako would do" because....

About Usagi changing, I don't really see how eating makes her stay an idiot. If eating is the reason you say she ISNT changing, then watch out for

Also, Takeuchi herself said she made Usagi resemble her own personality. So I don't think what you talked about is anything else but her personality which won't change, I don't see it changing.

Point is. Usagi stays the same.... the reason you say she doesn't is clearly that after those volumes, which are btw the very late half (or better said quarter) of the manga, the rest is just battles. No slice of life scenes and ofc no space to make Usagi act like her usual self.

about Mamoru... in the old anime it is also said he was looking for said thing. Also
It's pretty clear, only just stretched over many episodes. They couldn't reveal ALL in first episode then there would have been no material for the rest 40+ episodes... and I rmember watching ALL of them anxiously not like I watch Naruto boring fillers now.
MorridineJul 5, 2014 6:09 AM
Jul 5, 2014 6:12 AM

Aug 2007
I thought it was pretty good, it was pretty perfect to the manga so great job there. I love the animation and they hit Usagi's personaility perfectly right now. They got all right I think they can make handle the rest when she gets a lot of development. I wasn't expecting CGi for the transformation scene but Toei is improving from their Precure series since I like it a lot more then when I see those shows. Well 5/5 for me I got no complaints and I don't remember too much from the original series other then the OP and Usagi ran out of the house with toast.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 5, 2014 6:13 AM
Jun 2014
I only missed one thing: the old opening and the soundtrack. An update of them would has been great.

About the rest I have not objections, I enjoyed it a lot remembering the past!
Jul 5, 2014 6:19 AM

Nov 2011
I understand how excited many Sailor Moon fans must be, but I can't say I was entirely impressed.

The Good Things:

The Bad Things

I will keep watching in the hopes that after the obligatory character introduction episodes, things will speed up, including the animation and the action. Right now, it's incredibly sad that while it looks much prettier, it moves far slower on screen than it's predecessor.
Jul 5, 2014 6:21 AM

Jul 2007
Morridine said:

Well you are at least partly wrong on stuff i can check fast. You can't say "none of that is what Minako would do" because....

Which is

AS for Rei,

About Usagi changing, I don't really see how eating makes her stay an idiot. If eating is the reason you say she ISNT changing, then watch out for

Strawman argument there.

Eating has nothing to do with that. Every single person alive eats. The previous adaptation turned it into cheap gag, but that has nothing to do with personality progression.

Usagi simply does NOT change in the previous adaptations. Its Stars season and she still is crybaby clutz, while

Also, Takeuchi herself said she made Usagi resemble her own personality. So I don't think what you talked about is anything else but her personality which won't change, I don't see it changing.

Character change and growth are most important aspects of written narrative. They are present in manga, but not in previous anime.

about Mamoru... in the old anime it is also said he was looking for said thing. Also
It's pretty clear, only just stretched over many episodes. They couldn't reveal ALL in first episode then there would have been no material for the rest 40+ episodes... and I rmember watching ALL of them anxiously not like I watch Naruto boring fillers now.

Which is EVENTS, not narrative importance. Just because the EVENTS are SIMILAR, does not mean he takes up the SAME role.

Squallina said:

I will keep watching in the hopes that after the obligatory character introduction episodes, things will speed up, including the animation and the action. Right now, it's incredibly sad that while it looks much prettier, it moves far slower on screen than it's predecessor.

The first story arc will take up ~13 episodes. It took something like 40+ in previous adaptation. Not sure wtf you are talking about.
AhenshihaelJul 5, 2014 6:25 AM
Jul 5, 2014 6:32 AM

Mar 2013
Oh man nostalgia... Have to reread manga now :P! Transformation is decent, surprised me definitely with the 3d-cg but its not that bad... Opening was awesome :]
Jul 5, 2014 6:33 AM
Dec 2012
The opening sequence made my heart go DokiDoki, the art is so beautiful!
I rally love this adaptation! I have all of the original Sailor Moon series and movies on DVD and I need to get these too! ˚₊*(ˊॢo̶̶̷̤◡ुo̴̶̷̤ˋॢ)*₊˚⁎
Jul 5, 2014 6:35 AM

Dec 2010
ZetaZaku said:

I don't understand what you expected. Everyone wanted a manga adaption, everyone complained about the original anime. Now that we get it people start complaining about it being a manga adaption.
Jul 5, 2014 6:37 AM

Apr 2009
amare135 said:

I don't understand what you expected. Everyone wanted a manga adaption, everyone complained about the original anime. Now that we get it people start complaining about it being a manga adaption.

It's more of an original series, to be honest - look at the production history. And I always wanted a mix between the two, the first series expended a lot and made all villians more pronounced, etc. This will be lost here without a real reason for it from an adaption standpoint, and that is sad.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 5, 2014 6:39 AM

Mar 2012
amare135 said:
ZetaZaku said:

>everyone complained about the original anime.

Sorry, who did? I loved the first season and loving the third. It has great qualities. Stop pulling false assumptions from your ass.
Jul 5, 2014 6:39 AM

Jul 2013
I haven't seen much of the original sailor moon back in the day, and since I saw that it was getting this remake I thought I'd give this a shot. Because why not? xD

Even though I haven't seen much of the original, somehow it's still nostalgic. nice ost, but I'm not a fan of that cgi transformation...
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Jul 5, 2014 6:41 AM

Dec 2010
tommy73 said:
amare135 said:

>everyone complained about the original anime.

Sorry, who did? I loved the first season and loving the third. It has great qualities. Stop pulling false assumptions from your ass.

Sorry you must be new lol. Obviously not everyone did but most Sailor Moon fans wanted a faithful adaption.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

41 by Eziprez »»
Feb 24, 7:25 PM

» Am I the only one who finds Sailor Moon more "traditionally girly" than Tokyo Mew Mew?

removed-user - Jan 18

1 by a0t3a »»
Jan 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2015

40 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 2, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2015

37 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

32 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.