Anime & Manga News

sola Anime Licensed

by atlantiza
Feb 25, 2008 4:50 PM | 34 Comments
Bandai Visual USA has added the anime sola to its list of products. The first DVD will be released June 10th.

The manga has been picked up by Broccoli Books and will be released this summer as well.

Sources: ANN, BV USA's sola Site

20 of 34 Comments Recent Comments

sounds kool

Mar 2, 2008 3:43 PM by SteamPunk4Me

Roketsu said:
Asrialys said:
Yes, exactly. Although, it is technically possible to make it look pretty, but then they'd have to encode directly onto the video, like AVI fansub files. That means subs can't be turned off. Unless they make two different video streams for each episode. Yeah...that would probably cost extra.
Therein lies my point. Look at how much they're charging for one 3 episode DVD. Conversely, if you buy a Funi title, you get more content (dubs) for a significantly lower price. I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying I wish they'd step up to the plate.

Bandai Visual already went over this. They believe that they have the true fans in mind and think that what the fans want is what Japan has. And as quickly as possible, thus no dubs. Also, they probably take into consideration that dubs are often looked down upon (my assumption).

Feb 28, 2008 9:47 PM by Asrialys

Asrialys said:
Yes, exactly. Although, it is technically possible to make it look pretty, but then they'd have to encode directly onto the video, like AVI fansub files. That means subs can't be turned off. Unless they make two different video streams for each episode. Yeah...that would probably cost extra.
Therein lies my point. Look at how much they're charging for one 3 episode DVD. Conversely, if you buy a Funi title, you get more content (dubs) for a significantly lower price. I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying I wish they'd step up to the plate.

Feb 27, 2008 6:51 PM by Roketsu

sola = epic win!! *sigh* Sadly, most anime is too pricey forme to afford with my budget....($0)

Feb 27, 2008 6:35 PM by Takukari

strawberry-kun said:
Roketsu said:
If it was subbed with some sort of styling, it would make it far more worth the $50 price tag. I'm well aware that that hasn't been done before, I'm simply saying that if BV took the initiative to make this more creative than a rush project to squeeze $250 out of sola fans, this would be a new day for the industry. In no way am I predicting that they'll change any of their standards. As such, I certainly don't plan on paying that much for something I could make my self that has more aesthetically pleasing subtitles.

From what I hear, DVDs can only be encoded with only a of couple colors and fonts. That's what Asrialys was saying. They cannot be "stylized" like fansubs. It's never been done before because they can't. It's not possible on DVDs. Besides, Bandai Visual is only aiming for a niche group. The hardcore collectors. They seem to have no interest in catering to the casual or fansub crowds. Whether this is a viable strategy or not is unknown.

Yes, exactly. Although, it is technically possible to make it look pretty, but then they'd have to encode directly onto the video, like AVI fansub files. That means subs can't be turned off. Unless they make two different video streams for each episode. Yeah...that would probably cost extra.

Feb 27, 2008 6:31 PM by Asrialys

Roketsu said:
If it was subbed with some sort of styling, it would make it far more worth the $50 price tag. I'm well aware that that hasn't been done before, I'm simply saying that if BV took the initiative to make this more creative than a rush project to squeeze $250 out of sola fans, this would be a new day for the industry. In no way am I predicting that they'll change any of their standards. As such, I certainly don't plan on paying that much for something I could make my self that has more aesthetically pleasing subtitles.

From what I hear, DVDs can only be encoded with only a of couple colors and fonts. That's what Asrialys was saying. They cannot be "stylized" like fansubs. It's never been done before because they can't. It's not possible on DVDs. Besides, Bandai Visual is only aiming for a niche group. The hardcore collectors. They seem to have no interest in catering to the casual or fansub crowds. Whether this is a viable strategy or not is unknown.

Feb 27, 2008 3:53 PM by SuiDream88

Asrialys said:
Roketsu said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-26/bandai-visual-confirms-sola-release-dvd-details
No dub, this is gonna be an interesting test for the industry.

Bandai Visual only releases sub.
I'm aware of that, however this is a rather popular series in the romance genre, and its a steep price tag, so if it flops, then they might reconsider the marketing strategy.

Asrialys said:
If they do more than just the standard static white/green text and straight translations only, no "Americanizing" the script, then I don't know if it'll be worth $50 for 3 episodes and some postcards.

"Americanizing?" What have you been watching?

Now, if they sub it like a fan sub group would, get the timing right, use some flavorful text and scripting and whatnot, then I think this might break some ground. Otherwise, I just don't think it'll sell.

If that were possible on DVD, it would have been done long ago. And not everyone cares for stylized stuff. All you should care about is its readability and accuracy.
I was grasping for words. "Americanizing" came out wrong. All I was aiming for was conveying that the standard white text and straight translations, no re-scripting to make it more pleasing to read and whatnot, those things can make it boring. If it was subbed with some sort of styling, it would make it far more worth the $50 price tag. I'm well aware that that hasn't been done before, I'm simply saying that if BV took the initiative to make this more creative than a rush project to squeeze $250 out of sola fans, this would be a new day for the industry. In no way am I predicting that they'll change any of their standards. As such, I certainly don't plan on paying that much for something I could make my self that has more aesthetically pleasing subtitles.

Feb 27, 2008 12:47 PM by Roketsu

Roketsu said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-26/bandai-visual-confirms-sola-release-dvd-details


5 dvds, 15 episodes total for 50$ each... 250$ altogether unless you find them on sale. You don't even get a nice box to hold them together right? Wow all this time Anime companies were spoiling us. >_>; Makes me wish I really did buy much more than I actually did...

Feb 27, 2008 7:49 AM by Kuronoa

Roketsu said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-26/bandai-visual-confirms-sola-release-dvd-details
No dub, this is gonna be an interesting test for the industry.

Bandai Visual only releases sub.

If they do more than just the standard static white/green text and straight translations only, no "Americanizing" the script, then I don't know if it'll be worth $50 for 3 episodes and some postcards.

"Americanizing?" What have you been watching?

Now, if they sub it like a fan sub group would, get the timing right, use some flavorful text and scripting and whatnot, then I think this might break some ground. Otherwise, I just don't think it'll sell.

If that were possible on DVD, it would have been done long ago. And not everyone cares for stylized stuff. All you should care about is its readability and accuracy.

Feb 27, 2008 6:47 AM by Asrialys

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-26/bandai-visual-confirms-sola-release-dvd-details
No dub, this is gonna be an interesting test for the industry. If they do more than just the standard static white/green text and straight translations only, no "Americanizing" the script, then I don't know if it'll be worth $50 for 3 episodes and some postcards. Now, if they sub it like a fan sub group would, get the timing right, use some flavorful text and scripting and whatnot, then I think this might break some ground. Otherwise, I just don't think it'll sell.

Feb 27, 2008 3:18 AM by Roketsu

Asako said:
I'll buy it if it's released in HD. I'd love a blu-ray version of Sola. It's a very pretty series that's well deserving of the HD format. I don't think DVDs will do it justice. :


HD is kicking the can. As far as I can tell, xpect either SD or Blu-Ray.

Feb 26, 2008 1:41 PM by atlantiza

nyamo said:
its a ways off, but will they also include the ovas when a box set is released, those just make the series all the better

Box set? The extra episodes were included in the DVDs, and that's how it's going to be for us. I think we're pretty much getting the same release as Japan. Expect I don't think we're getting the "Color" limited edition releases that came with CDs. Oh well. Less to spend with their crazy prices. Well, I supposed $50 is the norm for BV.

Feb 26, 2008 11:47 AM by Asrialys

its a ways off, but will they also include the ovas when a box set is released, those just make the series all the better

Feb 26, 2008 8:06 AM by nyamo

Xjellocross said:
Sola does win. :Db

*sigh* So many good series I would like to own but can't afford >.>

Seconded. I'm having trouble picking exactly which series to pursue. Picking up Kanon right now, really want Shuffle! but can't afford. I'll definitely pick this up though.

Feb 25, 2008 11:40 PM by Roketsu

Will be grabbing it when they release the boxset.
Its always cheaper that way. ^^

Feb 25, 2008 9:43 PM by MrGaz

I'll buy it if it's released in HD. I'd love a blu-ray version of Sola. It's a very pretty series that's well deserving of the HD format. I don't think DVDs will do it justice. :\

Feb 25, 2008 9:35 PM by Asako

This is good news. Manga-Wise anyway; I've only read 5 chapters. I need MOAR of the manga version.

Feb 25, 2008 9:33 PM by BlueYoshi

Stop it BV! :P Well, don't stop, but it's all too fast. I want true tears, Shigofumi, and now sola. But they're going to be expensive! I was fine when they first showed up and the only title I wanted was Galaxy Angel Rune. But now...too many!

But I wonder if we'll also get the special edition releases of sola. That'd be awesome.

Feb 25, 2008 6:54 PM by Asrialys

GrimWizard said:
BVU have yet to do a dub for any of their releases, So don't hold your breath. Infact they release things almost exactly like it was released in Japan, episode count, price, etc. Fans of Sola have my sympathies.


I haven't been paying attention to what Bandai is what. XD I admit.

Feb 25, 2008 6:34 PM by Kuronoa

X3 Whoo sola's licensed~ I'll buy it when the boxset comes..

Feb 25, 2008 6:13 PM by Katsuki