Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 25, 2008 4:50 PM

Jul 2007
Bandai Visual USA has added the anime sola to its list of products. The first DVD will be released June 10th.

The manga has been picked up by Broccoli Books and will be released this summer as well.

Sources: ANN, BV USA's sola Site

ilu Mathes. thanks for awesome Beato sig. <3
ilu mah_marina. thanks for awesome Beato icon. <3
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 25, 2008 4:52 PM

Jul 2007
True Tears was picked up before sola? How depressing. Japan agrees - sola is made of win! It was #2 on a mass survey of Japaense anime fans for best anime series of 2007.

Feb 25, 2008 4:56 PM

Nov 2007
Sola does win. :Db

*sigh* So many good series I would like to own but can't afford >.>

Feb 25, 2008 4:57 PM
Sep 2006
I have yet to watch sola, but it seems that the US companies are confused and running around like chickens without their heads (or maybe it's just Bandai).
Feb 25, 2008 5:01 PM
Aug 2007
I agree with Xjellocross...theres too many out that priced too high...

失去的愛情不能回來
Feb 25, 2008 5:02 PM

Jan 2008
Yay! I'm so buying this! My wallet is really gonna hate me...
Feb 25, 2008 5:04 PM

Sep 2007
I have yet to watch sola yet have heard great things about it....so I can't wait. (^^)
Feb 25, 2008 5:08 PM

Sep 2007
Nice. I'm watching this series and I was wondering when someone is going to license it. I'll pick up the DVDs but don't have the money after Super Smash Bros comes out...

Are they pricing the series like True Tears and Shigofumi?

btw, the manga is good I getting the volumes when they come. :D
KuronoaFeb 25, 2008 5:16 PM
Feb 25, 2008 5:27 PM

Jul 2007
Probably not, JTO. But that's just my guess. True Tears and Shigofumi are coming out a few months after the Japanese DVD releases, and without a dub even.

Feb 25, 2008 5:37 PM

Sep 2007
Okay then, as long as there's dubs it'll be okay price-wise. Bandai was starting to scare me. D:
Feb 25, 2008 5:44 PM

Nov 2007
i bought 60% of the sola r2 dvds before i ran out of cash >.<

sola is love~

matsuri~~~~

NOTO-SAMA~~~
Feb 25, 2008 5:48 PM

Jul 2007
Liked all of the chars, but Mayuko was probably my favorite. I loved in the last ep, I think it was,
XDD I think I just might have to buy this series and rewatch it :3

Feb 25, 2008 5:54 PM

Oct 2007
I'm happy i saw sola recently then :P
Feb 25, 2008 6:02 PM

Jan 2008
JTO said:
Okay then, as long as there's dubs it'll be okay price-wise. Bandai was starting to scare me. D:

BVU have yet to do a dub for any of their releases, So don't hold your breath. Infact they release things almost exactly like it was released in Japan, episode count, price, etc. Fans of Sola have my sympathies.
Feb 25, 2008 6:11 PM

Jul 2007
GrimWizard said:
JTO said:

BVU have yet to do a dub for any of their releases, So don't hold your breath. Infact they release things almost exactly like it was released in Japan, episode count, price, etc. Fans of Sola have my sympathies.

/accepts defeat

Getting Bandai Visual USA and Bandai Entertainment confused.

Feb 25, 2008 6:13 PM

Jun 2006
X3 Whoo sola's licensed~ I'll buy it when the boxset comes..
Feb 25, 2008 6:34 PM

Sep 2007
GrimWizard said:

I haven't been paying attention to what Bandai is what. XD I admit.
Feb 25, 2008 6:54 PM

Feb 2007
Stop it BV! :P Well, don't stop, but it's all too fast. I want true tears, Shigofumi, and now sola. But they're going to be expensive! I was fine when they first showed up and the only title I wanted was Galaxy Angel Rune. But now...too many!

But I wonder if we'll also get the special edition releases of sola. That'd be awesome.
Feb 25, 2008 9:33 PM

Feb 2007
This is good news. Manga-Wise anyway; I've only read 5 chapters. I need MOAR of the manga version.
Feb 25, 2008 9:35 PM

Nov 2007
I'll buy it if it's released in HD. I'd love a blu-ray version of Sola. It's a very pretty series that's well deserving of the HD format. I don't think DVDs will do it justice. :\
Feb 25, 2008 9:43 PM

May 2007
Will be grabbing it when they release the boxset.
Its always cheaper that way. ^^
Feb 25, 2008 11:40 PM

Apr 2007
Xjellocross said:
Sola does win. :Db

*sigh* So many good series I would like to own but can't afford >.>

Seconded. I'm having trouble picking exactly which series to pursue. Picking up Kanon right now, really want Shuffle! but can't afford. I'll definitely pick this up though.
Feb 26, 2008 8:06 AM

Oct 2007
its a ways off, but will they also include the ovas when a box set is released, those just make the series all the better
Feb 26, 2008 11:47 AM

Feb 2007
nyamo said:
its a ways off, but will they also include the ovas when a box set is released, those just make the series all the better

Box set? The extra episodes were included in the DVDs, and that's how it's going to be for us. I think we're pretty much getting the same release as Japan. Expect I don't think we're getting the "Color" limited edition releases that came with CDs. Oh well. Less to spend with their crazy prices. Well, I supposed $50 is the norm for BV.
Feb 26, 2008 1:41 PM

Jul 2007
Asako said:
I'll buy it if it's released in HD. I'd love a blu-ray version of Sola. It's a very pretty series that's well deserving of the HD format. I don't think DVDs will do it justice. :

HD is kicking the can. As far as I can tell, xpect either SD or Blu-Ray.

Feb 27, 2008 3:18 AM

Apr 2007
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-26/bandai-visual-confirms-sola-release-dvd-details
No dub, this is gonna be an interesting test for the industry. If they do more than just the standard static white/green text and straight translations only, no "Americanizing" the script, then I don't know if it'll be worth $50 for 3 episodes and some postcards. Now, if they sub it like a fan sub group would, get the timing right, use some flavorful text and scripting and whatnot, then I think this might break some ground. Otherwise, I just don't think it'll sell.
Feb 27, 2008 6:47 AM

Feb 2007
Roketsu said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-26/bandai-visual-confirms-sola-release-dvd-details
No dub, this is gonna be an interesting test for the industry.

Bandai Visual only releases sub.

If they do more than just the standard static white/green text and straight translations only, no "Americanizing" the script, then I don't know if it'll be worth $50 for 3 episodes and some postcards.

"Americanizing?" What have you been watching?

Now, if they sub it like a fan sub group would, get the timing right, use some flavorful text and scripting and whatnot, then I think this might break some ground. Otherwise, I just don't think it'll sell.

If that were possible on DVD, it would have been done long ago. And not everyone cares for stylized stuff. All you should care about is its readability and accuracy.
Feb 27, 2008 7:49 AM

Sep 2007
Roketsu said:

5 dvds, 15 episodes total for 50$ each... 250$ altogether unless you find them on sale. You don't even get a nice box to hold them together right? Wow all this time Anime companies were spoiling us. >_>; Makes me wish I really did buy much more than I actually did...
Feb 27, 2008 12:47 PM

Apr 2007
Asrialys said:
Roketsu said:
No dub, this is gonna be an interesting test for the industry.

Bandai Visual only releases sub.
I'm aware of that, however this is a rather popular series in the romance genre, and its a steep price tag, so if it flops, then they might reconsider the marketing strategy.

Asrialys said:
If they do more than just the standard static white/green text and straight translations only, no "Americanizing" the script, then I don't know if it'll be worth $50 for 3 episodes and some postcards.

"Americanizing?" What have you been watching?

Now, if they sub it like a fan sub group would, get the timing right, use some flavorful text and scripting and whatnot, then I think this might break some ground. Otherwise, I just don't think it'll sell.

If that were possible on DVD, it would have been done long ago. And not everyone cares for stylized stuff. All you should care about is its readability and accuracy.
I was grasping for words. "Americanizing" came out wrong. All I was aiming for was conveying that the standard white text and straight translations, no re-scripting to make it more pleasing to read and whatnot, those things can make it boring. If it was subbed with some sort of styling, it would make it far more worth the $50 price tag. I'm well aware that that hasn't been done before, I'm simply saying that if BV took the initiative to make this more creative than a rush project to squeeze $250 out of sola fans, this would be a new day for the industry. In no way am I predicting that they'll change any of their standards. As such, I certainly don't plan on paying that much for something I could make my self that has more aesthetically pleasing subtitles.
Feb 27, 2008 3:53 PM

Jan 2008
Roketsu said:
If it was subbed with some sort of styling, it would make it far more worth the $50 price tag. I'm well aware that that hasn't been done before, I'm simply saying that if BV took the initiative to make this more creative than a rush project to squeeze $250 out of sola fans, this would be a new day for the industry. In no way am I predicting that they'll change any of their standards. As such, I certainly don't plan on paying that much for something I could make my self that has more aesthetically pleasing subtitles.

From what I hear, DVDs can only be encoded with only a of couple colors and fonts. That's what Asrialys was saying. They cannot be "stylized" like fansubs. It's never been done before because they can't. It's not possible on DVDs. Besides, Bandai Visual is only aiming for a niche group. The hardcore collectors. They seem to have no interest in catering to the casual or fansub crowds. Whether this is a viable strategy or not is unknown.
SuiDream88Feb 27, 2008 3:57 PM
Feb 27, 2008 6:31 PM

Feb 2007
strawberry-kun said:
Roketsu said:
If it was subbed with some sort of styling, it would make it far more worth the $50 price tag. I'm well aware that that hasn't been done before, I'm simply saying that if BV took the initiative to make this more creative than a rush project to squeeze $250 out of sola fans, this would be a new day for the industry. In no way am I predicting that they'll change any of their standards. As such, I certainly don't plan on paying that much for something I could make my self that has more aesthetically pleasing subtitles.

From what I hear, DVDs can only be encoded with only a of couple colors and fonts. That's what Asrialys was saying. They cannot be "stylized" like fansubs. It's never been done before because they can't. It's not possible on DVDs. Besides, Bandai Visual is only aiming for a niche group. The hardcore collectors. They seem to have no interest in catering to the casual or fansub crowds. Whether this is a viable strategy or not is unknown.

Yes, exactly. Although, it is technically possible to make it look pretty, but then they'd have to encode directly onto the video, like AVI fansub files. That means subs can't be turned off. Unless they make two different video streams for each episode. Yeah...that would probably cost extra.
Feb 27, 2008 6:35 PM

Jan 2008
sola = epic win!! *sigh* Sadly, most anime is too pricey forme to afford with my budget....($0)
Feb 27, 2008 6:51 PM

Apr 2007
Asrialys said:
Yes, exactly. Although, it is technically possible to make it look pretty, but then they'd have to encode directly onto the video, like AVI fansub files. That means subs can't be turned off. Unless they make two different video streams for each episode. Yeah...that would probably cost extra.
Therein lies my point. Look at how much they're charging for one 3 episode DVD. Conversely, if you buy a Funi title, you get more content (dubs) for a significantly lower price. I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying I wish they'd step up to the plate.
Feb 28, 2008 9:47 PM

Feb 2007
Roketsu said:
Asrialys said:
Therein lies my point. Look at how much they're charging for one 3 episode DVD. Conversely, if you buy a Funi title, you get more content (dubs) for a significantly lower price. I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying I wish they'd step up to the plate.

Bandai Visual already went over this. They believe that they have the true fans in mind and think that what the fans want is what Japan has. And as quickly as possible, thus no dubs. Also, they probably take into consideration that dubs are often looked down upon (my assumption).
Mar 2, 2008 3:43 PM

Feb 2008
sounds kool
-= Quote of the week=- "To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction." -Isaac Newton
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
8 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.