Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime fans disregard MAGICAL GIRL anime?

New
May 14, 2023 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
First off;
 I can't understand how anime fans can't get the appeal of magical girls, aka mahou shoujo anime. Mahou Shoujo anime are some of the deepest and most well written and heartfelt anime ever! They have really amazing drama, better than in battle shonen or seinen. And mahou shojo anime have strong female characters, who fight evil and save the world, better than Marvel movies! Mahou Shojo anime are progressive and amazing! Precure (Pretty Cure) is amazingly animated and pushing boundaries of animation, so you should respect it!

Second;
Mahou Shojo anime are not just for girls! I repeat. stop stereotyping! And also to all you mahou shojo haters, you are not lesser of a man for enjoying mahou shoujo anime. Stop harassing male anime fans who enjoy mahou shojo anime! Please stop, you are not a macho man for hating on male anime fans who watch mahou shoujo anime. Lets us all like what we like, and our fandom will be a better place that way.

Third;
Please watch more magical girl anime because of anime fandom ignoring magical girl anime they stopped making them and now only make bad anime. Watch Ojamajo Doremi, which is a literal masterpiece and one of the best anime EVER CREATED! (don't quote me on that) I am sure then you will be more open minded and realize how amazing magical girl anime actually are! This is really important! Also watch Creamy Mami, because it is GOAT!

Magical Girl anime are culture!
I pray every night that the anime fandom wakes up and starts consuming mahou shojo anime like crazy again, and we get second renaissance of magical girl craze next year! 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 14, 2023 11:36 AM

Feb 2020
Again, I agree with you.

Pretty Cure is my favorite anime series. People should give it more love. <3

May 14, 2023 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Serafos said:
Again, I agree with you.

Pretty Cure is my favorite anime series. People should give it more love. <3

You sire are BASED. Hats off to you! Precure is like the best battle shonen (but not really) ever made! Precure is so good it dabs on DBZ (DBZ is amazing though)! But Precure is literally the new DBZ and Toei's treasure! Sorry One Piece fandom. 
May 14, 2023 11:44 AM

Jul 2021
Magical Girl anime is unwatchable, if it's not about suffering. Suffering is good.
May 14, 2023 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
JaniSIr said:
Magical Girl anime is unwatchable, if it's not about suffering. Suffering is good.
That is a horrible take! I hate edgy magical girl anime and they killed mahou shojo anime because of Madoka, Gen Urobutchi just wanted to make edgy anime like he does always, and he ruined the genre, but then there were trend hoppers with even less class and they were the final nail to the coffin! Please, watch some REAL mahou shojo anime, like Ojamajo Doremi, and you will see mahou shojo anime with class and not just edgyness! I hope you watch Ojamajo Doremi that will give you to have something precious in your heart!
May 14, 2023 11:57 AM

Aug 2020
Does Utena count? I like it a lot. Madoka and Sakura too.

May 14, 2023 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
KitsuFrost said:
Ofc it counts! Utena is really experimental and unique anime. It is beautiful!
Cardcaptor Sakura is amazing!
Madoka is whatever... I don't care for it.
You have good taste!
May 14, 2023 12:03 PM

Jul 2021
Other than the classic Sailor Moon, Madoka Magica is the only good thing to come out of that genre
May 14, 2023 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
Cestlavie_ said:
Other than the classic Sailor Moon, Madoka Magica is the only good thing to come out of that genre
If you were a true Sailor Moon fan you would understand how hypocritical you sound just now! Madoka is the anti Sailor Moon like EVA is the anti mecha anime. It is the antítesis of Sailor Moon and made with utter contempt for everything Sailor Moon stands for! Watch Penguindrum please!
May 14, 2023 12:09 PM

Aug 2020
KetchumAsh said:
KitsuFrost said:
Ofc it counts! Utena is really experimental and unique anime. It is beautiful!
Cardcaptor Sakura is amazing!
Madoka is whatever... I don't care for it.
You have good taste!

Well thank you! You too. This is the second thread I agree with you in most things. ^^

May 14, 2023 12:10 PM

Jul 2021
KetchumAsh said:
Cestlavie_ said:
If you were a true Sailor Moon fan you would understand how hypocritical you sound just now! Madoka is the anti Sailor Moon like EVA is the anti mecha anime. It is the antítesis of Sailor Moon and made with utter contempt for everything Sailor Moon stands for! Watch Penguin Drum please!

See most other magical girl shows after Sailor Moon tried to copy sailor moon without replicating its charm at least Madoka came in and did something entirely different it was 'original'
May 14, 2023 12:13 PM

Dec 2018
I loved Madoka and Sailor Moon.
From what I've seen I haven't really seen much hate for magical girl anime though, I don't think its really disregarded at all tbh.

May 14, 2023 12:16 PM

Sep 2021
Other than madoka magica inspired stuff, magical girl shows are for children. Children's shows aren't going to be regarded by otaku fans except out of nostalgia.
May 14, 2023 12:21 PM

Jan 2021
KetchumAsh said:
Cestlavie_ said:
If you were a true Sailor Moon fan you would understand how hypocritical you sound just now! Madoka is the anti Sailor Moon like EVA is the anti mecha anime. It is the antítesis of Sailor Moon and made with utter contempt for everything Sailor Moon stands for! Watch Penguindrum please!

Well I liked Madoka and I do not think its a simple as an anti-something. It is a deconstruction like Evangelion was a deconstruction of Mecha tropes and conventions. However Madoka ultimately in the end validates the ideals of magical girls such as altruism, sacrifice, friendship and kindness. In this way it begins by showing the 'ideal of the Magical Girl', it is slowly deconstructed and then reconstructed. For something to be a true antithesis of something like Sailor Moon it would have to fall and remain in dark waters of nihilism and fatalism. 

A good way of viewing this would be KOTOR II and Last Jedi. KOTOR II is a cleaver deconstruction and (in light side playthroughs) reconstruction of all things Star Wars, you come away having a deeper more nuanced view on Star Wars and Modern Myth. Last Jedi leaves the franchise in a dark sad, self hating existence and an audience equally as miserable. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
May 14, 2023 12:23 PM

Oct 2017
I mean it's pretty much a few reasons. Either people think it's childish (which to be fair a lot of popular magical girl shows/franchises like Cardcaptor/Precure do give that off), overly girly (which can be difficult for some male fans to get into) or the fact that really a lot of the big shows from the genre are pretty old like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor, Pretear. Shugo Chara etc. Most of the ones I know of or have watched a few episodes off mostly aired in the 90s or early 2000s. 

I would say that last reason is the biggest reason. You need big recent titles to cash in on this wave of recent anime fans. I wouldn't say most anime fans look down on the genre they just don't care or haven't even seen anything from it because there hasn't been a real big seasonal hit in the West. Otome isekai for instance are doing fine. Generally female targeted fiction is coming back in anime. Female casts are hardly disliked by male fans either ( and no you don't need to sell on fanservice see CGDCT). 

Still most fans care largely only about YA/adult content and most casual fans barely watch anything older than maybe a decade. 

I mean I don't care about any of those things and want to branch more into it than I have (which is just a few episodes of Precure, Sailor Moon, Shugo Chara when I was a kid and Pretear). 
May 14, 2023 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
I agree more people should try magical girl shows.
May 14, 2023 12:26 PM

Mar 2023
I don't see that much anime fans that dislike Magical Girls anime. Probably since we get so few of them each year unlike Isekai.
May 14, 2023 12:50 PM

Jul 2021
KetchumAsh said:
JaniSIr said:
That is a horrible take! I hate edgy magical girl anime and they killed mahou shojo anime because of Madoka, Gen Urobutchi just wanted to make edgy anime like he does always, and he ruined the genre, but then there were trend hoppers with even less class and they were the final nail to the coffin! Please, watch some REAL mahou shojo anime, like Ojamajo Doremi, and you will see mahou shojo anime with class and not just edgyness! I hope you watch Ojamajo Doremi that will give you to have something precious in your heart!

Magical Girl Spec-ops Asuka is my jam. Madoka wasn't edgy enough.
May 14, 2023 12:56 PM
Jun 2021
I cant watch magical girl anime it has this childish vibe making it unwatchable for me. I wont blame anyone who likes it even tho its kinda sus if older people (especially if they are male) get hyped up for it (pls dont take this personal its meant jokingly!) also the whole transformation scenes stuff is questionable sometimes.
May 14, 2023 1:11 PM

Sep 2010
How exactly is it disregard? Isn't it one of the more popular genres compared to how many there are?
May 14, 2023 1:49 PM

Apr 2012
It's five genres in one really, 'cute witch', 'magical idol', 'magic girl warrior', 'experimental' and 'seinen'.

'Cute Witch' is probably the purest form, with Card Captor Sakura being the obvious brilliancy. I really rather like some things I've seen in Minky Momo and Persia too, but those both suffer from most episodes being untranslated.

'Magical Idol' is most obviously "this really is for little girls." The only representative I've seen is some episodes of Creamy Mami, and I'm not really convinced. The protagonist was chosen for her singing, creating a very rare case in which I can actually tell that a Japanese person is voice acting poorly.

Shoujo magic girl warrior anime I tend to find watchable, but rarely compelling, due to not really being in the target audience. Sailor Moon is massively influential, and occasionally brilliant, but you do spend a lot of time waiting for the next good bit to arrive, at least if you're me. I've seen very little Pretty Cure, but it looks from afar like a corporate homogenisation of the subgenre which will remove any scope for interest.

'Experimental' includes Utena and Princess Tutu, two of the greatest anime ever made. For this reason alone, if you avoid mahou shoujo, you are missing out massively.

And in seinen, well, you have Madoka, which is brilliant, and you have Madoka imitators, which are generally pants. There are some other decent things in it which I like, with a particular shout out to Flip Flappers, but Madoka does rather dominate.
logopolisMay 14, 2023 2:02 PM
May 14, 2023 2:50 PM
Jul 2013
logopolis said:
It's five genres in one really, 'cute witch', 'magical idol', 'magic girl warrior', 'experimental' and 'seinen'.

'Cute Witch' is probably the purest form, with Card Captor Sakura being the obvious brilliancy. I really rather like some things I've seen in Minky Momo and Persia too, but those both suffer from most episodes being untranslated.

'Magical Idol' is most obviously "this really is for little girls." The only representative I've seen is some episodes of Creamy Mami, and I'm not really convinced. The protagonist was chosen for her singing, creating a very rare case in which I can actually tell that a Japanese person is voice acting poorly.

Shoujo magic girl warrior anime I tend to find watchable, but rarely compelling, due to not really being in the target audience. Sailor Moon is massively influential, and occasionally brilliant, but you do spend a lot of time waiting for the next good bit to arrive, at least if you're me. I've seen very little Pretty Cure, but it looks from afar like a corporate homogenisation of the subgenre which will remove any scope for interest.

'Experimental' includes Utena and Princess Tutu, two of the greatest anime ever made. For this reason alone, if you avoid mahou shoujo, you are missing out massively.

And in seinen, well, you have Madoka, which is brilliant, and you have Madoka imitators, which are generally pants. There are some other decent things in it which I like, with a particular shout out to Flip Flappers, but Madoka does rather dominate.

PreCure is really an amalgamation of two genres: CGDCT and action in monster of the week format. In the good seasons, the CGDCT and action parts add weight and depth to each other, in the bad seasons, they're the bad seasons. If I had to explain PreCure with a single single episode, that would be Smile PreCure episode 43.
May 14, 2023 2:53 PM

Nov 2008
This is not much of an issue these days at least with modern magical girl anime (90's era onwards), now getting someone into say Creamy Mami or magical girl anime predating it will probably be a tough sell even for fans of modern magical girl anime.

May 14, 2023 2:55 PM

Feb 2016
KetchumAsh said:
Stop harassing male anime fans who enjoy mahou shojo anime!
Nobody has ever harassed me for that.

Cestlavie_ said:
See most other magical girl shows after Sailor Moon tried to copy sailor moon without replicating its charm at least Madoka came in and did something entirely different it was 'original'
I would tell you to watch older magical girl anime, but a lot are still missing English translations. 🙁

Khashishi said:
Other than madoka magica inspired stuff, magical girl shows are for children. Children's shows aren't going to be regarded by otaku fans except out of nostalgia.
Battle shounen are also for children yet they tend to be well regarded among otaku.
その目だれの目?
May 14, 2023 3:09 PM
Playing LGE

Jun 2017
As a mahou shoujo enjoyer, I am always looking for new series to check out in the genre (though sadly still haven't gotten around to Ojamajo or Mami yet..), and do think it is one of the staples and classics of anime, just like idol series and mecha series are as well~!vuv
May 14, 2023 3:25 PM

May 2018
"Why do anime fans disregard MAGICAL GIRL anime?"

Because right now the most noticeable (if you don't count the otaku pandering one) is Percure...and it's masse produced, thus not more entertaining than your average isekai.
May 14, 2023 3:26 PM
Jul 2022
I think most have stronger preferences in other anime genres. The problem is that you have preconceptions with Mahou Shoujo, while the more prevalent genres get a larger share of the audience. Those who are not intolerant will find a lot of interesting things in Magical Girls and will see that it goes far beyond what they have hastily think.
May 14, 2023 3:39 PM

Nov 2018
Wait, what? Since when did we start disregarding mahou shoujo anime? There are quite a few good ones that I think were pretty mainstream.
Machikado Mazoku, Madoka, Utena, Princess Tutu, Flip Flappers, and Kill la Kill are all well worth checking out.
MeltingSkyMay 14, 2023 3:57 PM
May 14, 2023 3:43 PM

May 2014
I'm always willing to try anything regardless of genre. I enjoy the Sailor Moon manga, Card Captor Sakura and Madoka anime. Doremi and Heartcatch precure were good too. Nanoha is my number 1 fave magical girl anime. Although it strays pretty far from your usual series in that genre.

I just wish there was more of Himitsu Akko-chan subbed. That's one I can see myself being a huge fan of. I love Akatsuka Fujio stuff, Osomatsu being my fave of course. Strange that something often referred to as the progenitor of all magical girl anime isn't available to watch very easily. Welp the one episode I did see of the 70's version was great! I hope the manga gets translated by some hero in the future as well.
May 14, 2023 4:03 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Ez coz they never watch it lollll so they dnt know appeal behind it until see these lmaooo

May 14, 2023 4:20 PM

Nov 2015
mahou shoujo viewers who aren't little girls are weird to the general public. i don't think they'd see much difference between watching those anime and playing with dolls.
and i guess

that i just don't know
May 14, 2023 4:24 PM

Apr 2022
i've only watched 2 so i'm 50-50 on it. because madoka was lowkey ass but magical destroyers, i'm enjoying quite a lot right now.
i do plan to watch cardcaptor, sailor moon and utena at some point.
May 14, 2023 4:35 PM

Feb 2016
fancyjasper said:
I just wish there was more of Himitsu Akko-chan subbed. That's one I can see myself being a huge fan of. I love Akatsuka Fujio stuff, Osomatsu being my fave of course. Strange that something often referred to as the progenitor of all magical girl anime isn't available to watch very easily. Welp the one episode I did see of the 70's version was great! I hope the manga gets translated by some hero in the future as well.
I doubt Akko-chan has much in common with Osomatsu. But I'm surprised neither of the reboots were ever translated into English. We have subs for so many magical girls released in that period, including Hime-chan which is basically the same thing.
その目だれの目?
May 14, 2023 4:45 PM
Dominus Pinus

Mar 2019
So tl;dr which magical girl anime do you recommend the most? And which one is the most f***ed up, without being dumb? I'd like to give this genre another chance.
May 14, 2023 4:56 PM

May 2014
Lucifrost said:
fancyjasper said:
I doubt Akko-chan has much in common with Osomatsu. But I'm surprised neither of the reboots were ever translated into English. We have subs for so many magical girls released in that period, including Hime-chan which is basically the same thing.
I know it doesn't have much in common, but it doesn't have to for me to like it. Akko-chan isn't a gag manga like Osomatsu is. It's more the fact it's from the same creator. I just want to read/watch everything they've made since I tend to enjoy his stuff.

Yeah it's a shame about Akko-chan sub situation. The 70's and 80's version of the anime look the most interesting to me. 90's version art style doesn't look too appealing. 

The manga is really short. It'd be nice if a western company licensed it. Not likely, but I can dream!

May 14, 2023 4:58 PM
Apr 2022
those are just the isekai fans bro they just hate on everything and think isekai is the best thing ever
May 14, 2023 5:14 PM

Nov 2018
Delphineum said:
So tl;dr which magical girl anime do you recommend the most? And which one is the most f***ed up, without being dumb? I'd like to give this genre another chance.

I liked all of the following series, and given my tastes they are all pretty f***ed up in one way or another.

Machikado Mazoku: Comedy with a remarkably intelligent and interesting plot.
Madoka Magica: This one is dark and subverts many magical girl tropes.
Shoujo Kakumei Utena: Serious head trip. This one is like an onion. It's got layers.
Princess Tutu: Lighter than Utena, but again this one's a trip and isn't what it first appears to be on the surface.
Flip Flappers: Crazy action, surreal and trippy. It feels like it channels a bit of FLCL.
Kill la Kill: Another surreal and action-packed sci-fi magical girl show that deconstructs a lot of the genre's tropes.
Alice to Zouroku Like Kill la Kill this one borders on what can be considered a mahou shoujo. It's interesting and I don't see it mentioned often. Like most of the anime on my list, it's another trippy series.
MeltingSkyMay 14, 2023 5:26 PM
May 14, 2023 5:16 PM

Mar 2021
why do anime fans make ASININE threads?
May 14, 2023 8:31 PM

Mar 2021
KetchumAsh said:

Conjecture conjecture conjecture...

Claiming Mahou Shoujo anime are some of the deepest and most well written and heartfelt anime ever is nothing more than an opinion and not an objective fact.

Hell it's ok if you love magical girls in Anime but is it really necessary for users to keep spamming the forums with magical girl topics. Just imagine for a moment users started spamming the forums praising Ecchi Anime or even isekai just for the hell of it, wouldn't you find that a bit annoying?

This constant thread cheerleading for a currently non-prominent genre that you obviously have love for is likely having more of an adverse effect on this community and in no way will actually effect the broader industry at large either. Just something to think about because before anyone started making threads recently praising magical girls on this forum I don't recall anyone disregarding the genre to begin with for the past year specifically making threads trashing it on MAL.
May 14, 2023 8:41 PM

Oct 2009
Well, my all-time favorite Anime ever is Cardcaptor Sakura (1998) and it is a magic girl. So, you can say I'm a fan :)
May 14, 2023 9:55 PM
Apr 2022
Probably because it’s target demographic is young girls, the only magical girl anime I’ve seen and liked is Madoka Magica but that is an outlier in that genre.
May 14, 2023 10:09 PM

Feb 2017
I haven't seen many but I loved Cardcaptor Sakura and Madoka was aight. It's kinda a shame a lot of people only try out the ones that are subversive or edgy, if they try any at all. After trying Cardcaptor Sakura on a whim it made me see the appeal of more straightforward ones. It's really charming. I eventually want to get into more, only thing holding me back is they tend to be pretty long like 40+ episodes.
May 14, 2023 10:24 PM

Feb 2016
JKKH said:
It's really charming. I eventually want to get into more, only thing holding me back is they tend to be pretty long like 40+ episodes.
Shorter anime for girls do seem to be few in number. I recommend Pretear and Princess Tutu if you want a dark storyline, or Marvelous Melmo if you want something old. It's easier to find shorter magical girls for adult otaku. I enjoyed watching Nanatsuiro Drops, a lighthearted romance.
その目だれの目?
May 14, 2023 10:34 PM

Feb 2017
Lucifrost said:
JKKH said:
It's really charming. I eventually want to get into more, only thing holding me back is they tend to be pretty long like 40+ episodes.
Shorter anime for girls do seem to be few in number. I recommend Pretear and Princess Tutu if you want a dark storyline, or Marvelous Melmo if you want something old. It's easier to find shorter magical girls for adult otaku. I enjoyed watching Nanatsuiro Drops, a lighthearted romance.
Thanks I'll check them out! I've been meaning to get around to Princess Tutu for a while, I'll give the others a try too
May 14, 2023 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
ColourWheel said:
KetchumAsh said:

Conjecture conjecture conjecture...

Claiming Mahou Shoujo anime are some of the deepest and most well written and heartfelt anime ever is nothing more than an opinion and not an objective fact.

Hell it's ok if you love magical girls in Anime but is it really necessary for users to keep spamming the forums with magical girl topics. Just imagine for a moment users started spamming the forums praising Ecchi Anime or even isekai just for the hell of it, wouldn't you find that a bit annoying?

This constant thread cheerleading for a currently non-prominent genre that you obviously have love for is likely having more of an adverse effect on this community and in no way will actually effect the broader industry at large either. Just something to think about because before anyone started making threads recently praising magical girls on this forum I don't recall anyone disregarding the genre to begin with for the past year specifically making threads trashing it on MAL.
I am not trying to do harm, I am just bringing fresh perspectives for the community to consider! It pains me that the anime community only know two genres, isekai and battle shonen, and disregard other more mature genres because they don't try to understand them!
May 15, 2023 5:52 AM

Feb 2018

Well, there are Magical Girls... and then there is Sakura Kinomoto~

May 15, 2023 6:06 AM

Mar 2021
Say whats the difference between flashy shounens and mahou shojous for the average anine dan ?
Why would they waste their time on a relatively less popular series when they can go for a series that is hyped by the folks everyday of the week ?
May 15, 2023 6:19 AM

Feb 2018
Cestlavie_ said:

See most other magical girl shows after Sailor Moon tried to copy sailor moon without replicating its charm...

"Wedding Peach" being fairly chief amongst them, at least in terms of personal disappointment
in an Anime series built-upon such an utterly rock-solid concept for a Maho Shoujo franchise...

May 15, 2023 6:47 AM

Jan 2017
I think people need to learn to differentiate something being "for girls" and something being tailored towards girls. Sure, you are no less of a man for watching mahou shoujo or any derivative, but saying the genre isn't made with young girls in mind is just delusional, just as much as shounen fans are. Both genres have their highlights where shows subvert their own genre themes and clichés, but the average Magical Girl show is made for girls and that's a pretty valid reason to not enjoy it/disregard it. Again, it's not a coincidence that Attack on Titan is the most popular shounen and Madoka Magica is the most popular Magical Girls show ever, people enjoy having their expectations subverted and the content they watch be different from what they've watched before, some may even say that's the definition of what makes something good: how different and original it is from everything else. Unfortunately Shoujo demographic media just haven't had that many landmark shows as shounen has, either because of popularity (most anime fans are male after all, at least from what I see online and irl) or because the shows generally haven't been good.

♦  Profile

♦  List

May 15, 2023 7:43 AM
Jan 2013
The Mahou shoujo genre is kept alive indectly through shonen harem style desendants like azur lane.
Precure has almost power ranger level popularity in japan so....

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» name a non-anime you think is better than 80% of anime

Kenzolo-folk - 7 hours ago

49 by Rhae »»
6 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime? ( 1 2 )

The-Wombat - May 14

51 by TRC_Randy »»
17 minutes ago

» What's the meaning behind your MAL username? ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

64 by cyandaqil »»
19 minutes ago

» Cutest anime character ever?

KanekiKen523 - May 26, 2023

30 by Absurdo_N »»
20 minutes ago

» Disney Anime Chief: More "Acceptable" Expressions Are Necessary for the Wider Market

deg - 5 hours ago

23 by Rhae »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.