Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2023 11:39 PM
Oct 2020
I want to know if it’s just a vocal minority or everyone that thinks this. I’ve seen a few people say it’s gotten worse on Twitter and in the latest episode’s discussion, but I haven’t seen a dip in quality. My best guess is that the lower frame rate, I believe they’re animating on 3s or 2s for the weird monsters like that dragon, not sure, but that’s not the animation being bad, that’s just how animation usually works. They’re clearly doing it that way on purpose anyway. I’m not trying to start shit, I just wanna know why people think that. 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 8, 2023 12:00 AM
Mar 2021
the animation overall is smooth and fluid it's a small show with a lower budget trying to do alot and the ways they keep the budget low seems more artistic then lazy I like the animation overall and feel like there's no real problem with it
Feb 8, 2023 2:05 AM
Jan 2015
I'm fine with the animation in this show, even if at times it feels like 2 frames per second. Could be an artistic choice or a budget thing, either way it does not bother me, I love the art too much to care about how smooth the animation is. What bothers me is the pacing: the last episode was so dense and rushed that it was practically indigestible.
Feb 8, 2023 2:59 AM

Jun 2015
Animation in this show is simply different. It reminds me of when I first started watching anime in its style and flow. Tbh, its fantastic, I reckon anyone hating it thinks anime is about peak preformance cgi and has limited understanding of visual art, context and story telling..
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Feb 8, 2023 3:05 AM
Oct 2018
truth999 said:
the animation overall is smooth and fluid it's a small show with a lower budget trying to do alot and the ways they keep the budget low seems more artistic then lazy I like the animation overall and feel like there's no real problem with it

nothing to do with budget... stop misusing that word
Feb 8, 2023 3:44 AM

Jun 2015
Just finished episode 3 and they animated someone writing kanji. The people animating this have some mad skills. Anyone who cant recognise that probably shouldnt be watching anime and shitting on it. Get back to your pregnant jokers and superman raped in prison please.
Feb 8, 2023 8:23 AM

Sep 2020
Scenes with a lot of action have some weird animation, but it's not a big deal for me. I enjoy the characters and plot more than the action
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Feb 8, 2023 10:21 AM
Mar 2021
Bacon24 said:
truth999 said:

it does man what you think they could have a huge budget and need to make budget cuts?
Feb 8, 2023 10:41 AM
Oct 2018
truth999 said:
Bacon24 said:

it does man what you think they could have a huge budget and need to make budget cuts?

budgets are not released for most anime so how do you know? and scheduling, staff, environment, etc. is more important
Feb 8, 2023 11:00 AM
Mar 2021
Bacon24 said:
truth999 said:

budgets are not released for most anime so how do you know? and scheduling, staff, environment, etc. is more important

it's pretty obvious some budget cuts are happening still frames zoomed in scenes cgi etc again I think it still great but if they had a good budget they just hire freelancers if they didn't have enough people to animate it
Feb 8, 2023 11:06 AM
Oct 2018
truth999 said:
Bacon24 said:

it's pretty obvious some budget cuts are happening still frames zoomed in scenes cgi etc again I think it still great but if they had a good budget they just hire freelancers if they didn't have enough people to animate it

i cba, usually when they use cgi is because of time constraints not budget (most anime use cgi for something, most isekai anime always use cgi for background for people walking, horse carriages, etc.)

https://twitter.com/CanipaShow/status/773667808957698048?s=19

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ao8k4t/bahi_jd_animator_explaining_how_high_quality/efz41wb?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3
Feb 8, 2023 11:20 AM
May 2021
not bad but low budget
Feb 8, 2023 11:23 AM

Jan 2013
Looks like 25 people need to schedule an appointment with their optometrist. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 8, 2023 11:32 AM
Mar 2021
Bacon24 said:
truth999 said:

i cba, usually when they use cgi is because of time constraints not budget (most anime use cgi for something, most isekai anime always use cgi for background for people walking, horse carriages, etc.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ao8k4t/bahi_jd_animator_explaining_how_high_quality/efz41wb?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

yeah cba is not a reputable source and it the cgi with everything else included
Feb 8, 2023 11:37 AM
Oct 2018
truth999 said:
Bacon24 said:

what? cba= cant be arsed??? youre a lost cause man
Feb 8, 2023 11:43 AM

Mar 2018
The animation isn’t the greatest but watchable until the shapes become squarish. I don’t like it but it’s probably an artistic choice. The original source is a novel so I try to look at it as such and not as an anime. 
Feb 8, 2023 1:00 PM
Mar 2021
Bacon24 said:
truth999 said:

the fuck is an arse
Feb 8, 2023 1:03 PM
Oct 2018
truth999 said:
Bacon24 said:

the fuck is an arse

man cant read or write properly but his account says he is from usa???
Feb 8, 2023 2:53 PM
Mar 2021
the only thing I can find is arse is British slang for ass so can't be arsed still makes 0 since
Feb 8, 2023 2:55 PM
Mar 2021
Bacon24 said:
truth999 said:

the fuck is an arse

the only thing I can find is arse is British slang for ass which is what I though but you said =can't be arsed still makes 0 since can't be assed would make no sinc3
Feb 8, 2023 3:13 PM
Oct 2018
truth999 said:
Bacon24 said:

the only thing I can find is arse is British slang for ass which is what I though but you said =can't be arsed still makes 0 since can't be assed would make no sinc3

and u dont know how to google things either...
Feb 8, 2023 3:41 PM
Mar 2021
OK bro just cause I don't know what ever the fuck tiktok lingo you using
Feb 8, 2023 4:42 PM

Apr 2020
Yup. Not an artistic problem, tho.

Just the Budget, I think.
They try working around it.
Feb 9, 2023 3:37 AM
Jun 2022
for episodes 1 to 3 it's fine, why is it that in episode 4 it looks like a picture of children. I'm a little disappointed, even though the story is good and the music is also good, is it just the fighting scene?
Feb 9, 2023 9:07 AM

Jun 2011
Whoever can't tell this anime is suffering from budget cuts has not been watching anime very long.
Feb 9, 2023 10:57 PM
Apr 2020
I think the show probably isn’t as popular and therefor had a smaller budget which led to some compromises. I do think the ways in which they try to hide that fact are good though. They went for different rather than bad. They did still pictures for characters at times, and transition with a black screen with some text. I can respect it. Different doesn’t equal bad. CGI doesn’t equal bad. Just have to have an open mind. It’s obviously not Garden of Words or anything, but it doesn’t need to be.
Chadanger303Feb 9, 2023 11:00 PM
Feb 10, 2023 12:43 AM
Aug 2022
The animation overall isn't bad, actually it gives you really different vibes.
The thing that actually was bad,
It was the action scene in the latest episode, I am not saying anything about Dragon, it was the way that they were walking, like the torso or upper part of the body looked like it was not part of the body, they were actually moving diagonally, the proportions of the body was even worse.

Remove the action scene of the latest episode, then it was alright.
Feb 11, 2023 3:39 AM
Sep 2016
People saying the animation for this is bad must be so blessed to live in the modern days of anime.
Feb 11, 2023 11:14 AM

Oct 2010
Seph91 said:
People saying the animation for this is bad must be so blessed to live in the modern days of anime.
Literally any show from the 90s looks better than Hikari no ou lmao.
「Self Aware Cringy Weeb」
Feb 11, 2023 3:22 PM
Jul 2015
I quite like the art except for two things: The mansion looks like from a PS1 game and also completely out of place. Practically ALL the fight scenes' animations (as in: motion and stuff) look like ass to the point it becomes hard to tell what's even going on.

Apart from these two things, the art is actually part of what's drawing me into it.
Feb 12, 2023 5:22 AM

Nov 2013
No: 40.4% - 72

Do people have problem with eyesight? Or are you guys simply ignorant?

Admitting the animation is bad isn't the same as calling the show bad, or shitting on it. This show is IMO one of the best shows this season. The plot is very intriguing and the ART is decent. (maybe people don't know difference between art and animation?)

AND YET animation since episode 1 has been bad/awful. It's comical to claim this is "artistic" choice. There are more than few signs that point at problems within studio, be it budget or staff-related problems. Scenes are being re-used CONSTANTLY, they use still frames, black screens, illustrations - all to animate as little as possible. You don't seem to be amateur with 50 or less anime watched, so what's the issue with admitting the obvious??? - the animation is POOR at best, but I'd still call it bad/awful in parts. It isn't repulsive enough for me to drop it, because I find the plot interesting enough, but saying this is "normal/not bad" is just plain ignorant IMO.
Feb 12, 2023 6:19 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The amount of cope in this thread is concerning. 

Animation is not even the biggest problem this show has, it's the constant infodumping and messy direction. 
Feb 12, 2023 12:02 PM
Oct 2008
Obviously budget is low, fights in eps 2-3 look awful but I will overlook it because story is good and op and ed are so nicely done that i think it will be good anime.
Feb 13, 2023 11:26 AM

May 2009
Some artistic choices are too controversial.
Feb 13, 2023 9:34 PM

Sep 2015
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
. Scenes are being re-used CONSTANTLY, they use still frames, black screens, illustrations - all to animate as little as possible.
 and to be rather honest, none of these are inherently bad. as long as you have someone competent at the helm they can obviously be used as tools to tell an effective story. just from what i've seen many parts could have used the same methods retooled to not be as a mess as it currently is. and the crazy thing on top of that is that many of the people working on this show have been part of the industry since the 80's/90's 
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Feb 14, 2023 2:41 AM

Dec 2015
They made big mistakes ... I think in episode 2. With showing still pictures with a totally different art style. (Too beautiful.) Which - imo - destoys the atmosphere. So this was obviously not for artistic reasons but because of budged or production issues.

(While in Vilnand Saga S2 I also have seen people complaining about certain stuff. Where I though that was for a reason and they used that style on purpose.)

Got a bit better later. The black screen with Kanji (with the names) - is okay. Less annoying. Obviously stuff is re-used (the front of the mansion when switching towards there and the camera moves towards the mansion). But unless it really is weird ... I can watch this. Certain stuff I think in episode 3 was a bit weird ... boy and the daughter of the rich guy talking but the screen showing something different where at some parts it even felt asif the lips + voice were out of sync.

There certainly are good ways and bad ways ... to try to save budget and animate less. And they moved away from the extremely bad ones in episode 2.
Feb 15, 2023 1:29 PM
Feb 2021
The beginning of episode 4 looks like Phillips CD-i animation—it’s pretty bad. Hopefully, it doesn’t continue like this.
Feb 15, 2023 11:07 PM

Oct 2017
It wasn't that bad in the first 2 episodes but it's been getting considerably worse. It's a shame cause the story is pretty interesting
Feb 18, 2023 4:54 AM

Aug 2018
Yes, and at the same time, no. I have a theory.

Personally, I think what actually happens is that Hikari no Ou is a renowned work in Japan, as I've seen a few people on the internet talking about it being a classic. I don't know much about the work's reputation, so that part is guesswork. And, for the adaptation of such, the director Junji Nishimura chose to maintain an anime style that is very faithful to the atmospheric color palette, to the desolate art, tribal of the villages and, at the same time, colonial of the cities and, in addition, that bring fluidity to most scenes. For this adaptation to work, there needed to be faithfulness to the art descriptions and good visual adaptation, since the story of Hikari no Ou depends a lot on its descriptions (like almost every Novel) for Worldbuilding. Furthermore, Mamoru Oshii himself is involved in the project, although not as a director, and the identity of the works he is always involved with are full of fluidity, maturity, without caricature, etc.

Junji Nishimura is a veteran director, as he has directed works from a long time ago such as Ranma 1/2. I think he has enough knowledge to know how to manage a production, even more so with a big name like Oshii, one of the most recognized directors in the industry, involved too. Therefore, I don't think that the animation of Hikari no Ou has such artistic problems that people are pointing out like the use of static scenes (very beautiful by the way), the various distortions of figures during the action scenes and other shots with only low movement. I think they are the director's artistic choices. It's an example similar to the animation of Naruto vs. Pain, which went viral on the internet for the distorted faces and bodies and made many fall on top of the studio, but which, in reality, were not examples of bad animation or production. They were fluid scenes, but with different artistic choices that generated estrangement.

The point is, so far, I haven't been able to see as much intra-plot purpose in these choices. Static scenes, for example, are not used with any specific criteria that contribute to the work. This is different from the case of Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, where the anime's color palette is full of darks, blacks, whites and grays to metaphorize the society of the time and, in emblematic moments of achievement or growth, colorful static frames and very identitary take over the screen with the epic narration in the background. In Rainbow, there is a contrast between the poor reality of an unequal society wounded by war, in a social scourge, and the freedom, the friendship between the seven and the hope that each of them finds to seize a new chance to pursue their dreams. In Hikari no Ou, so far, I haven't seen any motive behind the pictures. The same goes for the exchange of views, as I don't see much need in putting black screens with the name of the character that will appear.

However, as I said, Junji Nishimura is an experienced director. And besides, there are more people experienced with him in production. In contrast, when I look at the Signal.MD studio, I don't see much confidence or traces of quality. The best work that this studio had to offer us in terms of production was Cider no You ni Kotoba ga Wakiagaru, which, I dare say, only did so well visually because it was a film and because it had another very good director - Ishiguro Kyouhei, director from Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Occultic;Nine - involved in the project. Indeed, the studio's most notable TV works are of such questionable quality as Platinum End. If you watched Platinum End, you may remember a death scene in which the production literally took the Manga page, in black and white, and used it in the anime as a still image for almost 30 seconds, just moving the zoom, or else the frames crooked and the poor use of CGI.

Putting this data together and concluding my thoughts, I believe that what happened is that Junji wanted to make an ambitious project that did justice to Novel, he knew how to do it but, due to studio limitations, he had to compensate the production with several choices eccentric artistic ideas and maneuvers that mask some production problems. Sacrificing fluidity in some scenes in favor of beautiful static scenes is one of those maneuvers, and this explains the lack of criteria for the application. Sacrificing static beauty and making the frames crooked while acquiring fluidity is another strategy. A lot of directors do that, and it wouldn't be new. In Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season, the White Fox studio was much more weakened by the stampede of animators that had left since the first season. As a result, many of the most ambitious and fluid drama scenes that Masaharu Watanabe was able to do in the first season could not be repeated. However, being a competent director, he switched from using these cuts to static scenes of facial expressions in which the characters are interspersed all the time. That catharsis scene of Subaru with Echidna is an example. Shinbou Akiyuki, one of my favorite directors, did this several times in the Monogatari Series, from what I've heard, but he did it by giving the work an even more unique style by applying Light Novel texts. Well, that's my interpretation of what might have happened with Hikari no Ou, although it's strange to me that directors of this size don't have great contacts with animators who could, perhaps, save the project.
MaranderFeb 18, 2023 4:57 AM
Feb 18, 2023 9:44 AM

Nov 2020
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

Admitting the animation is bad isn't the same as calling the show bad, or shitting on it. This show is IMO one of the best shows this season. The plot is very intriguing and the ART is decent. (maybe people don't know difference between art and animation?)

AND YET animation since episode 1 has been bad/awful. It's comical to claim this is "artistic" choice. There are more than few signs that point at problems within studio, be it budget or staff-related problems. Scenes are being re-used CONSTANTLY, they use still frames, black screens, illustrations - all to animate as little as possible. You don't seem to be amateur with 50 or less anime watched, so what's the issue with admitting the obvious??? - the animation is POOR at best, but I'd still call it bad/awful in parts. It isn't repulsive enough for me to drop it, because I find the plot interesting enough, but saying this is "normal/not bad" is just plain ignorant IMO.

You hit the nail on the head with that parenthetical, I genuinely think people are conflating "art" with "animation" here. Animation is generally incorrectly used as a catch-all term for how a show looks overall by a lot of viewers. 

Otherwise, I don't know how anyone can look at any of the action sequences and think the animation has been fine. The fight with the dragon and the train a couple episodes ago was terrible and looked janky as hell throughout.  
Feb 18, 2023 10:05 AM

Feb 2019
Casuals do yea. People who actually know ball don’t
Feb 18, 2023 12:18 PM

Jun 2015
I dont think we watching the same show. Your concept of good and bad is so left field of my concept of what is good. I Look at the action sequences and I think its fine. Get back under your rock hater of all things good.

Lemurians said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

You hit the nail on the head with that parenthetical, I genuinely think people are conflating "art" with "animation" here. Animation is generally incorrectly used as a catch-all term for how a show looks overall by a lot of viewers. 

Otherwise, I don't know how anyone can look at any of the action sequences and think the animation has been fine. The fight with the dragon and the train a couple episodes ago was terrible and looked janky as hell throughout.  
Feb 21, 2023 5:29 PM

Mar 2012
While the animation quality is receiving some flack, I’m more curious why this show currently has a 6.73 rating? I’ve watched a lot of of good and bad anime in my lifetime and I certainly wouldn’t put this show anywhere remotely close to below 7.

Are people down rating this anime so much just because it has a few scenes that have some less than stellar animation? I mean, I’ve seen anime that have worse animation than this and they get higher ratings. Or does the complexities of this story also play a factor in its score?

I’d be curious to know…
Feb 22, 2023 12:37 AM

Oct 2010
people saw those static shots and they didn't understand a thing, instead of just looking at the pic and admire it they immediately thought "wow, static shot = bad animation and bad animation = bad show", it's the usual case of sheep behavior. The action scenes don't look that good I agree but people only understand black and white today. In the end what it matters is enjoying it or not, I enjoy it so it's fine by me
Feb 22, 2023 12:52 AM

Jul 2013
People literally say Chainsaw Man has bad animation. I just don't think people know what they are talking about. This show is clearly limited, but people are so used to things being perfectly on model nowadays that if it isn't their brain gets confused. Anything different from the normal is bad to people now. Which sucks, but it is what it is. Some people just don't really understand animation. They just go oh that looks off, but honestly anime has always gotten flak for its limited animation. It just sucks to see normal fans doing this stuff more often now. Doing what people who hate anime do. Dislike it because it is different rather than try and understand why it is different.
Feb 22, 2023 5:55 AM
Dec 2021
I think the animation drops in fight scenes, the studio must not have many animators and storyboards for these specific moments. The story itself, to me, is interesting. The direction is strange, there are static scenes with different filters and color palettes that have no function for the narrative.
Feb 23, 2023 4:51 AM
Jul 2020
The animation is sometimes ass, but I mean that in the most respectful way possible. There's clearly a veteran director using a lot of the tricks of the trade to save mad budget and make things look stylish and fluid despite some limitations. Lots of really smart cuts, pans, and use of close ups to create motion where there isn't any actually drawn. Another thing they're doing is in non action scenes is having one character do a well animated motion at a time while the other characters remain still. It ends up being a little awkward but your eyes will naturally be drawn to one thing at a time so they can get away with it. Sometimes the character animations feel completely detached from the backgrounds and characters appear to be moving much further than they should be based on how they're moving. Like they take 2 or 3 steps to go a distance that should take more than twice that many. There's some weird uses of 3D which clash with the style they're going for and the shadows are fucked up sometimes too. At the same time some of the movements of the large beasts while very choppy are beautifully done and very expressive. It's clear that when something is important it will look good and when it's not there will be shortcuts taken. Whatever the limitations are, be they budget or a tight schedule, they're doing a good job at working within them and have made something enjoyable.
Feb 23, 2023 10:03 PM
Mar 2015
Episode six had a harbor shot with modern yacht PNGs
i keked
Mar 4, 2023 1:08 PM

Jun 2015
CaptLolicon said:
Whoever can't tell this anime is suffering from budget cuts has not been watching anime very long.

you cant really make such a statement by saying that and expect anyone who has been watching anime that long to take you seriously. Your comment is rubbish
Mar 4, 2023 4:40 PM
Jun 2021
The story's really interesting imo so far. But it's almost unwatchable because of the animation, it's some of the worst I've seen.

The OPs a banger tho
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hikari no Ou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jan 21, 2023

67 by LeAnToKi »»
May 5, 11:39 AM

» trivial question about the title name pronunciation

Link___ - Jan 24, 2023

10 by haku_mccvi »»
Apr 14, 7:42 PM

Poll: » The state of the fantasy genre in anime in the 2010s/20s

EmmyMoomin - Mar 18, 2023

8 by 0063873192871 »»
Apr 1, 4:33 AM

» For a world where fire was once worshipped; now was declared an enemy

sbyrstall2 - Mar 19, 2023

4 by 0063873192871 »»
Apr 1, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Hikari no Ou Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 18, 2023

46 by luminality »»
Jan 17, 9:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.