Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2022 6:20 AM
Apr 2019
beyan said:
Respect for Suetsugu sensei: "Chihayafuru" is her own creation and it is okay for her to write what she wants.
I have always experienced "Chihayafuru" as a story immersed in real life; it is not "Saint Seiya" nor "Vanitas" but rather the story of a girl who goes to high school and loves Karuta. Well, anyone who has some experience with anime and manga about Japanese real life knows that Taichi's family - and Taichi himself - has a lifestyle that is out of Chihaya's character range. Chihaya does not know how to behave, is unfeminine, loud, and loves Karuta in a powerful and aggressive way.
Taichi's future is to pursue a medical career, with all that that entails. I just can't imagine Chihaya dressed up doing the honors for her husband's high-ranking acquaintances and attending parties and gala dinners; no, no... I just can't imagine her. Sumire would have been the best choice for Taichi.
Rather, after meeting the professional Karuta player who goes around to tournaments taking her husband and children with her, nursing her own child between breaks, I was "enlightened": perfect, that's what Arata and Chihaya's life will be like: out playing Karuta with family in tow.
That was Chihaya's life: a life for Karuta next to the man who most understands and loves her.
But instead, no! Why? It was just a strange ending, with a romantic choice that made absolutely no sense.
Taichi will go far away, to Kyoto - surely to Kyodai - and Chiahaya and Arata to Tokyo. I at least hope that Arata never meets Chihaya again because that would be really sad and insulting to him and I also hope that between parties and "and lunches at the sporting club" (Chihaya cannot think that she will be able to go play in Karuta leaving her doctor husband at the mercy of dinners and high parties) Chihaya never meets Arata again. I wish for Chihaya to totally disappear from Arata's life.
This is what I think: real-life story with real-life implications. And that's because the ending doesn't make sense: it's not applicable for what the characters of the main characters are. But hey, that's okay!
I'm looking forward to reading the spin offs that I hope set 10 years from now: Arata still a Meijin with a happy family beside him, and Chihaya untamed to be a good doctor's wife.
Excuse my English.
Ciao.

I think you have to realise that they are 18 and it may be tough for them to see so far into the future. The publication ends here but their love triangle relationship is just at the starting phase which we will not see more of unfortunately as the main part of Chihayafuru was always about Chihaya's road to becoming the queen. And we have already reached the end of that goal.

You are right, Chihaya's goal was to become Queen and she succeeded, and I fully understand that they are 18 years old. It is true, however, that anime and manga teach us that many couples formed in high school then stay together in life. Mine is just a discussion about what the future.
Ciao and thank you for talking to me. Excuse my English.
Aug 4, 2022 6:25 AM
Apr 2019
I am one of those people who didn't want a romantic development unless it's a timeskip, but well. Dating in high schools don't usually require that much thoughts anyway, sometimes it's a spur of the moment and sometimes it just happens. At least from personal experience, not many high school students date because the partner is going to be an amazing person in social standards in the future, or that they're going to be such a person that can accompany that amazing person in the future. And to be honest, high school kids dating usually average in months, so it's not like they need to see that far in the future anyway.

If you do this, then you don't have much experience with anime and manga. Thinking about the future in an obsessive way belongs to young Japanese people.
Even if you consider what I write useless, I believe I am free to write and look as far as I like. Next time, make sure your comment is constructive and not offensive.
Ciao and excuse my English.
beyanAug 4, 2022 7:00 AM
Aug 4, 2022 6:44 AM
Apr 2019
sweetangie said:

I really wish Arata would of be treated with more respect: at least for Chihaya to give him an honest response coming from her heart after his long wait for her answer: he deserves that much, not the way how it turned out: it's inhuman on Chihaya's part just to talk about her dating Taichi without a single word from her behave: not even " I'm sorry nor a thank you" for his genuine feelings he has for her. We all know Chihaya has the right to choose any guy she wants to date but what she did to Arata giving him that awful way of rejection without an answer is the worst thing I ever saw throughout this entire story: waiting until the final chapter yet the last pages of the very last chapter to see this outcome: Suetsugu-sensei really give Arata the "too bad, the end" treatment which she didn't show any respect nor sympathy for our fans. I wished Chihaya would have been more open to Arata and told him her honest feelings directly from her heart: just like what Arata did for her. I guess we will never get to see that: this is the end of Chihayafuru: no more.

Now we must part ways with our abandoned ship that sink without warning: but I'll always remember how much I love this ship that I wish it would reach its destination and hold the cherished memories I felt while reading the story that is now bittersweet.

Your words have warmed my heart even more, and I still can't believe what transpired in front of Wataya Arata's entire fan base, who was rooting for him. However, one thing is clear to me now: no matter how kind and humble you are, you will be the one to be duped, as this cruel and cursed world has always ruined and damaged the heart of the pure.
In the end, all you have to do to keep your heart healthy is work toward freedom and solidarity and carry on.

I beg you, no, don't think this. Being kind and humble is something special and rare, and it matters little if others do not understand or trample on that: if you are good and kind, it is a precious thing for you and for those who really love you.
Suetsugu sensei made Chihaya behave the right way: she is like that, selfish and careless of others.
It would have been nice to see Chihaya with Arata, but that's okay. Arata is so far beyond her that I like to think he has escaped "danger."
Please, think positive: life is very good for good people; good people look at the world with special eyes.
Ciao.

beyanAug 4, 2022 7:06 AM
Aug 4, 2022 7:19 AM
Feb 2019
Endless Ls to the people who are spewing nonsense here, wow what a tragedy snesei didn't draw chihaya turning down arata guess you werent reading all the time she drew chihaya indirectly show preference for one boy over the other. Fat L
GoLMatoLAug 5, 2022 1:53 AM
Aug 4, 2022 9:04 AM
Feb 2021
beyan said:
It would have been nice to see Chihaya with Arata,..., Arata is so far beyond her that I like to think he has escaped "danger."

How can it be nice if Chihaya is danger?
Aug 4, 2022 3:19 PM
Dec 2018
My heart just sank after reading the ending. For years I'd been waiting to see who Chihaya would end up with. But now my brain can't wrap around it. The story was built on the design that Chihaya would most likely end up with Arata but that was all tossed with not solid enough reasoning for her to date Taichi. She should have given Arata a proper response before going out with Taichi. Though this is how it ended my ship will forever be Chihaya and Arata.
Aug 4, 2022 7:35 PM
Jun 2019
SakuraTogepi said:
My heart just sank after reading the ending. For years I'd been waiting to see who Chihaya would end up with. But now my brain can't wrap around it. The story was built on the design that Chihaya would most likely end up with Arata but that was all tossed with not solid enough reasoning for her to date Taichi. She should have given Arata a proper response before going out with Taichi. Though this is how it ended my ship will forever be Chihaya and Arata.

"Not solid enough reasoing" i guess thats why sensei commented for reader to re-read the story properly.
Aug 5, 2022 5:14 AM
May 2021
kakeguruitwinxx said:
That phrasing is as if Chihaya has no use for Arata unless she becomes his girlfriend. Which is weird. She never was his girlfriend, never was dating him for 247 chapters and they were still friends. Chihayafuru is a primarily sport manga yet the outcome of the romance subplot is enough for people to think the whole development was dropped. I didn't even ship Taichi with Chihaya but it wasn't even surprising. I guess the part that was clear to me was that Chihaya forgot Arata's confession for a good half a year (he confessed in winter answered in summer) and was only reminded because her friends got together in front of her. It isn't Chihaya's childishness. If you can't remember someone you supposedly liked for years confessing to you at the place of your dreams and right after he lost the qualifier then maybe you don't like them that much anymore after all. Feelings aren't supposed to be constant. Not when Arata's so far away and they barely met. And the one confession Chihaya actually said she liked Arata was "liked karuta and Arata". Never only the person Arata, but the person Arata when he's playing karuta. People are being vile and actually tagging Suetsugu on twitter saying her story isn't worth completing just for one ship and it's annoying. That much entitlement isn't your place, you read her story, she may want as many people to read but that doesn't mean she wants as many people to dictate her story. The entitlement and sense of self-righteousness that remove her credits as an author by saying it's pressure of the fans and all. I've said this: this isn't a long running shounen. Naruto got 3 more major arcs after Pain arc ended. That is the definition of publishers and fans pressure. Chihayafuru still ends on a good length and at the right arc too. TLDR: it's okay to have problems with the story ending. I have several things I would've liked differently too. But I do think discussion with entitlement and offensive opinions should be kept on MAL or somewhere Suetsugu won't read. Idk if there are the people here, but I've seen people actually tagging Suetsugu on twitter, which is to be frank going too far just for a ship.
Exactly my thoughts. People were reading 247 chapters of pure games and drama and psychological material and they ignored it all to say some ship which acts like a conclusion is the most important thing in the entire series?
Aug 5, 2022 5:36 AM

Oct 2012
kakeguruitwinxx said:
That phrasing is as if Chihaya has no use for Arata unless she becomes his girlfriend. Which is weird. She never was his girlfriend, never was dating him for 247 chapters and they were still friends. Chihayafuru is a primarily sport manga yet the outcome of the romance subplot is enough for people to think the whole development was dropped. I didn't even ship Taichi with Chihaya but it wasn't even surprising. I guess the part that was clear to me was that Chihaya forgot Arata's confession for a good half a year (he confessed in winter answered in summer) and was only reminded because her friends got together in front of her. It isn't Chihaya's childishness. If you can't remember someone you supposedly liked for years confessing to you at the place of your dreams and right after he lost the qualifier then maybe you don't like them that much anymore after all. Feelings aren't supposed to be constant. Not when Arata's so far away and they barely met. And the one confession Chihaya actually said she liked Arata was "liked karuta and Arata". Never only the person Arata, but the person Arata when he's playing karuta. People are being vile and actually tagging Suetsugu on twitter saying her story isn't worth completing just for one ship and it's annoying. That much entitlement isn't your place, you read her story, she may want as many people to read but that doesn't mean she wants as many people to dictate her story. The entitlement and sense of self-righteousness that remove her credits as an author by saying it's pressure of the fans and all. I've said this: this isn't a long running shounen. Naruto got 3 more major arcs after Pain arc ended. That is the definition of publishers and fans pressure. Chihayafuru still ends on a good length and at the right arc too. TLDR: it's okay to have problems with the story ending. I have several things I would've liked differently too. But I do think discussion with entitlement and offensive opinions should be kept on MAL or somewhere Suetsugu won't read. Idk if there are the people here, but I've seen people actually tagging Suetsugu on twitter, which is to be frank going too far just for a ship.

Yes it's true our privilege as readers is to stay or walk away from a story, in no way it is to tell the author what to write.

As for critism, I wasn't happy with everything and still find there are some loose ends, although discussing them or making theories, hypothesis etc is just fine but the difference in discussing here, Reddit or discord is a world than tagging the author on Twitter/ Instagram under his/her posts with pure anger and spite.
Aug 5, 2022 8:08 AM

Oct 2012
Lol, what about all the gala stuff and so...if ever, those boring galas would be so much more fun for Taichi with Chihaya around. He wants someone who makes him laugh so he got his eyes on the right girl.

Chihaya is perfectly adorable and charming. She did a great job the day before the finals at the evening talking about equality between men and women in karuta before a whole bunch of people.

Even in this last chapter Taichi makes a comment on how Chihaya is laughing too hard, but remember her Baka wide open mouth is something he just loves the most!!

And he said that to her face when he confessed

Probably one of the things she never forgot, our girl who has the capacity to forget but cherished the right stuff in her heart like a poem
Aug 5, 2022 8:08 AM
Apr 2019
kakeguruitwinxx said:
beyan said:

If you do this, then you don't have much experience with anime and manga. Thinking about the future in an obsessive way belongs to young Japanese people.
Even if you consider what I write useless, I believe I am free to write and look as far as I like. Next time, make sure your comment is constructive and not offensive.
Ciao and excuse my English.

No? I've had plenty of my manga and anime reading-watching share. There are a lot shoujo these days with more flexibility. "thinking about the future in an obsessive way belongs to young Japanese people" is putting real Japanese people in a box, I'm sorry but real people are NOT manga characters? Thinking about the future in an obsessive way does not belong to young Japanese people. It's not even a trope existing only in Japanese media. If you've read other Western media— Heroes of Olympus for example, Piper was thinking of her grandchildren with Jason at 16. Obsessive girls in love with cold boys were a trend in 1990s-2000s with Itazura na Kiss being so popular and even early 2010s (Ookami Shoujo, Ao Haru Ride, No Longer Heroine, etc) but it's not even a trend anymore. You'd see newer shoujo are usually depicting more fluffy, less obsessive relationships (Honey Lemon Soda, Mairimashita Senpai, Hatsukoi Maze, etc). And if it IS still a trend, it doesn't reflect actual Japanese people, nor it means that Chihayafuru would be obligated to follow the same trope. I did not say what you write was useless. My point was, they're dating in high school. There's literally almost no one in high school who dates a guy and think of "I date him, so in 10 years that he will be a prestigious doctor, I'll have to be a good wife who attends gala". The same way that had Chihaya ended up with Arata, her first thought wouldn't have been "if I date him, I will have to prepare to move far away from my family, because in the 10 years that he will come back to Fukui, I will have to move to his hometown too". Chihaya hadn't even thought about their LDR which is literally in front of her, how would she think about her being a doctor's wife already?

Also it's too far in the future. Why would Chihaya be forbidden from playing Karuta, when that discussion never even came up before? If anything Taichi encouraged her in front of her mother to still play for Queens when her exams are coming up. It's the guy who built the karuta club with her to begin with. Where was the dinners and high society parties ever mentioned? I'm sorry if this sounds annoying but, you're making reasons to worry for something that was never even mentioned in the plot. I do think at least Chihaya consulting to her sister or Kana about her feelings would make it look less rushed, but it's only about the rush.

Reading what you answered, I think a lot of things are lost in translation. I studied French and in English I am not good and I help myself with translators.
You are right: it is too far in the future; Chihaya doesn't think about the fact that she might become a doctor's wife, of course not! In fact, these are my thoughts in projection, that's all. It is a pourparler, a thinking about what could be.
When I saw and read about the Karuta player who goes from tournament to tournament taking her family with her, it occurred to me that that could have been Chihaya and Arata's future. And likewise, I imagined Taichi's life and his future as a doctor from a wealthy, upper-class family. These thoughts were also like that, to imagine a possible future.
I have not lived in Japan and I do not know their customs from having experienced them; I know Japan through readings and yes, even through manga and anime, and it really seems to me that young people are under great pressure for what the future holds.
I'm definitely wrong, I've read and seen nonexistent things, such is the confidence you express to me in explaining Japanese youth.
I'm Italian and I would like to deal with a native Italian-Japanese person who can adapt one language to the other in their true meaning. The Italian language is very difficult and unfortunately we are at the mercy of fansubs and publishers who know very little about it (I write this knowledgeably) and so somewhere the true spirit of Chiahayafuru, of its history, of the meaning of the lines of the poems will have been lost.
You write, "you're making reasons to worry for something that was never even mentioned in the plot" but the "worry" is only seen by you. What are you worrying about? Dinners? Parties? They do exist in high society, especially to show others your high, rich and powerful social position. Or is this false? Or the many times this phenomenon has been analyzed and proposed in anime and manga (including modern ones) is false? In the end, I believe that everything I see and understand and process from manga and anime is just as valid as what you see, understand and process. Or does it? Or are you right and I wrong because you say so?
You are making a drama out of an imaginative thought and a "and then..." game that I wanted to write here.
Thank you for talking to me and excuse my English.
Ciao.
Aug 5, 2022 8:17 AM
Apr 2019
Roaldder said:
beyan said:
It would have been nice to see Chihaya with Arata,..., Arata is so far beyond her that I like to think he has escaped "danger."

How can it be nice if Chihaya is danger?

In fact, I put "danger" in quotation marks, figuratively speaking.
The way Chihaya behaves - see also to appear before Arata as a couple without having had the courage to face him alone (maybe I'll be proven wrong with the spin offs, who knows...) - gives me the impression that she hasn't matured that much and that's not easy to live with; by "danger" I meant that. I think, though, the meaning of what I meant was lost in translation. Sorry about that.
Thank you for talking to me and excuse my English.
Hello.

Aug 5, 2022 8:34 AM

Oct 2012
It seems to me that Taichi was her biggest supporter when it comes to karuta. Inokuma's family looks a bit like what might be waiting for them btw.

Taichi has his own ambitions in karuta now as well so they will probably all keep playing together for the years to come, with Arata and all their friends.

This whole ending did not come out of nowhere. There were tons of hints, parallels, poems and actions supporting it. She played it tight but just like in karuta, they became 2 and 1. That is exactly what happened in the challengers. Chihaya and Arata went on together in karuta but Chihaya's heart was for Taichi.

She chose herself....it was built up from even before Taichi confessed. You just had to look deeper than what was shown in the surface.

Reread and try and see all the parallels and the hints. The fact that they made the club together and its touched on multiple times in Chihaya's backflashes, that she even thought about them at Yoshino as "futari* which in Japanese means two people, a couple, a pair.....the clap in 246 with the paired cards was already the ultimate moment.

Mutual visions of eachother, mutual longing and being upset....gosh...

Tbh any girl that thinks *he has always been here* is NO platonic stuff. This fall's under the love tag.

Anyway this chapter isn't only about romance there are multiple other super emotional moments, including for Arata. Arata's journey doesn't only consist about if he gets the girl yes or no. He got his title and that was what he desired most. There is more to him than just being a ship.

Btw Taichi too, he also got a beautiful personal resolution accepting himself.

The whole confession from Chihaya is a part of her own arc, understanding her feelings, maturing into a young woman....she took her time but nothing wrong with that. Sensei pictured the values about love she supports, so even if it isn't your cup of tea, at least respect her pov.

chiakimagotoAug 5, 2022 10:29 AM
Aug 6, 2022 7:28 AM
Apr 2019
No, I don't worry about Chihaya attending parties. You're the one who wrote "Chihaya cannot play karuta again, because her husband will be involved in dinner gala and high society" or something. If that was just your imagination, then you can't be hurt because "now her future with karuta and a family in tow is gone". It's never there in the narrative to begin with. Even if those do exist in high society, why would it immediately mean Chihaya will retire? Why would Chihaya stop playing karuta for dinner parties? No, I'm not saying you're wrong. But as I said, you're assuming Chihayafuru would have the same trope as other mangas that you've read. There are manga where a partner's rich family create troubles in relationship, but there are also manga where a partner's rich family do not create troubles in relationship. It hasn't even been mentioned in the main story, so why would it be a reason that the end is not logical? Since Arata's family isn't well off and he needs to do part time jobs, would you have said that if Chihaya dated Arata, she's going to lose her karuta time to help Arata with part time jobs? Not really, because it was never mentioned in the plot. Or is it because you've never imagined it? Because Arata dating Chihaya would mean nice family life with no other possible big problems, like the high society parties she supposedly would have with Taichi? And to be honest, the only partner-related was actually in the series, is Haruka retiring due to pregnancy. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your previous post, but what I understood for it is one of the reasons you dislike the ending is because Chihaya would lose karuta and behave in a proper, high-society way. I would agree Arata loves karuta way more than Taichi, and that being with Taichi would mean she dates someone who understands karuta less than Arata, but well. Arata doesn't even know Chihaya wants to be a teacher, so I guess it's even? Arata who might understand everything about karuta but not understand as many things about her in her daily life, and Taichi who understands her daily habits and her karuta life, even though he may not love karuta as much. By the way, I'm writing this not because I dislike Arata, but because the mention of high society was just so sudden to me and caught me off guard, since Chihayafuru is essentially a sports, slice-of life high school manga. You said now that Arata is not "chosen", you hoped that he'd never see Chihaya again. Maybe you don't mean it that way, but to me it sounds as if Arata doesn't have any use of Chihaya if she isn't his girlfriend and vice versa.

Again? You only know how to repeat the same things over and over again, and you haven't read what I replied to you.
Do you know what it means to "respect" the opinions of others without setting yourself up as the keeper of absolute truth and the right holder of offense?
Do you understand what an imaginative mental exercise means?
Talking and reasoning with you is wasted time.
You are fine like that! I salute you.

Aug 6, 2022 7:55 AM
Apr 2019
It seems to me that Taichi was her biggest supporter when it comes to karuta. Inokuma's family looks a bit like what might be waiting for them btw.

Taichi has his own ambitions in karuta now as well so they will probably all keep playing together for the years to come, with Arata and all their friends.

This whole ending did not come out of nowhere. There were tons of hints, parallels, poems and actions supporting it. She played it tight but just like in karuta, they became 2 and 1. That is exactly what happened in the challengers. Chihaya and Arata went on together in karuta but Chihaya's heart was for Taichi.

She chose herself....it was built up from even before Taichi confessed. You just had to look deeper than what was shown in the surface.

Reread and try and see all the parallels and the hints. The fact that they made the club together and its touched on multiple times in Chihaya's backflashes, that she even thought about them at Yoshino as "futari* which in Japanese means two people, a couple, a pair.....the clap in 246 with the paired cards was already the ultimate moment.

Tbh any girl that thinks *he has always been here* is NO platonic stuff. This fall's under the love tag.

Anyway this chapter isn't only about romance there are multiple other super emotional moments, including for Arata. Arata's journey doesn't only consist about if he gets the girl yes or no. He got his title and that was what he desired most. There is more to him than just being a ship.

The whole confession from Chihaya is a part of her own arc, understanding her feelings, maturing into a young woman....she took her time but nothing wrong with that. Sensei pictured the values about love she supports, so even if it isn't your cup of tea, at least respect her pov.

I really hope you're not talking to me.
I absolutely respect Suetsugu sensei's work and his point of view.
I haven't written anything malicious about her or about her work. All this seems so absurd to me: I may disagree on the sentimental solution but this does not indicate a lack of respect for the author's work.
Do I love Arata? Yes!
Do I think Arata was "treated" without respect? Yes!
That's all. Or to show respect to the author do I have to kneel and kiss where she walks? If so, for Dante I would have to stab my heart...
I respect Suetsugu sensei's work as such, even if I didn't like the romantic solution at all.
Aug 6, 2022 4:06 PM

Oct 2020
NergalMHL said:
kakeguruitwinxx said:
Exactly my thoughts. People were reading 247 chapters of pure games and drama and psychological material and they ignored it all to say some ship which acts like a conclusion is the most important thing in the entire series?
But the conclusion IS one of the most important things in a story, i love chihayafuru but hate how this last chapter was dealt with (not talking about ships btw). Everyone knows, even you, that an ending can leave a bad impression to a story, I dont think the ending ruins the previous 246 chapters but it does indeed leave a bitter taste, imo obiously
Aug 7, 2022 9:27 PM

Jan 2020
And I thought that discussion about “who Chihaya will end up with” was heated 😵😵
Aug 8, 2022 6:55 AM

Oct 2012
beyan said:

I really hope you're not talking to me.
I absolutely respect Suetsugu sensei's work and his point of view.
I haven't written anything malicious about her or about her work. All this seems so absurd to me: I may disagree on the sentimental solution but this does not indicate a lack of respect for the author's work.
Do I love Arata? Yes!
Do I think Arata was "treated" without respect? Yes!
That's all. Or to show respect to the author do I have to kneel and kiss where she walks? If so, for Dante I would have to stab my heart...
I respect Suetsugu sensei's work as such, even if I didn't like the romantic solution at all.

No I'm not especially talking about you. I think it's allright to say your pov here in MAL.

What is insufferable is tagging the writer. She isn't going to change anything anyway. Constructive critism is always worth listening to or reading. Bashing and being disappointed because your ship didn't sail, while tagging the writer, is a whole different story. It's not like Arata's arc depended on ending up with Chihaya yes or no. Neither did Taichi's in the end. The confession was the conclusion of Chihaya's arc, not the boys. And it was shown by the writer step by step, but many important signals that were set up for Chihaya's behaviour, longing and maturing were definitely there and steadily woven in the narrative.

I agree the triangle was played very tight, that's how this stuff works in mangas......this one was quite something and kept me on my toes till the end even if i thought some things could only mean endgame material......but gosh Sensei sure was tricky till the last moment....i guess some just didn't properly prepare for an eventual disappointment. Both boys had their chance but Chihaya was only going to choose one.
Aug 8, 2022 6:57 AM
Apr 2021
I already finished reading it but it hurts really to much. Why she confessed her feelings to taichi and its like mine i had experience like this situation. Damn it's all coming back to me now my old painful memories. My ship sunk maybe in the spin-off just IF taichi and chihaya will break up. Can't accept this ending.

Does anyone know the author social media?
Aug 8, 2022 10:35 AM
Feb 2021
Purr-puff said:
Can't accept this ending.

Just as Taichi lost to Arata by 18 cards and had to learn to accept that ending, surely you can learn too.
Aug 8, 2022 11:06 PM
Apr 2021
Roaldder said:
Purr-puff said:
Can't accept this ending.

Just as Taichi lost to Arata by 18 cards and had to learn to accept that ending, surely you can learn too.
i guess ending is ending even i bash the author there is nothing i could so about it. Side character become the main character, i am really disappointed.
Aug 9, 2022 12:20 AM
Feb 2021
Taichi was always a main character. This manga had two plots. Karuta, the main plot and there Arata is the protagonist, and another secondary plot that is romance, where the male main character is Taichi.
Aug 9, 2022 5:20 AM
Jun 2019
Purr-puff said:
Roaldder said:

i guess ending is ending even i bash the author there is nothing i could so about it. Side character become the main character, i am really disappointed.

I cant wait in the spinoff we would see Taichi and Chihaya dating probably a future meeting between parents to decide the theme for their wedding!
Sensei already start writing the spinoff!
Aug 9, 2022 7:06 PM
Sep 2016
I haven't been here in ages, hello everyone.

I love Taichihaya and of course I am extremely happy they ended up together and I do believe there was a lot of foreshadowing leading to that. On the other side,I am also really happy my boy Arata got the tittle and was able to achieve his dream. I hope we have a lot of nice things in the extra chapter.

I loved the interactions from the trio at the end, considering they are my favorite characters. They are so grown up.
Aug 9, 2022 7:39 PM
Dec 2019
I'm in disbelief there are readers who truly believed Chihaya would magically develop romantic feelings for Arata in the final chapter... Arata stalker arc incoming 😩
Aug 10, 2022 1:06 AM
Apr 2021
Maybe arata will died in the future or he has this illness cannot be cure and in their wedding day arata will die secretly without notification. I guess their wedding day will be a mourn or happy or crying moments that arata died without knowing it. Taichi is useless cuz he cannot save his friend and chihaya will be devastating.
After the wedding.

Chihaya: Are you really a doctor taichi?
Taichi: yes, i am a doctor.
Chihaya: maybe i regret choosing you!
Taichi: i didn't know that he has this illness, so how can i save him, while where in the middle of our wedding day.
Chihaya: let's divorce right now!

The end.
Purr-puffAug 10, 2022 1:30 AM
Aug 10, 2022 5:32 AM

Nov 2013
All the first volume and half of manga is all trap for believing Chihaya will end up with Arata hahaha
Aug 10, 2022 5:48 AM

Nov 2013
DinoPapiro said:
NergalMHL said:
But the conclusion IS one of the most important things in a story, i love chihayafuru but hate how this last chapter was dealt with (not talking about ships btw). Everyone knows, even you, that an ending can leave a bad impression to a story, I dont think the ending ruins the previous 246 chapters but it does indeed leave a bitter taste, imo obiously

I’m some shoujo manga reader, and yes I can feel you. It’s look sensei won’t explore Chihaya and Arata relationship, for me she’s forcing it and don’t feel natural for Taichi and Chihaya to go for relationship. I read romance a lot, and yeah this Chihayafuru end is one most bitter conclusion for me
Aug 10, 2022 6:42 AM
Jun 2022
Before any complaints I think it's important to say how happy I am to have discovered and followed Chihayaburu. It is a work that I will carry with me, in my heart forever.
Now I can touch on the subject that most divided opinions: Chihaya confesses and stays with Taichi. I must admit that I'm #teamTaichihaya, but I've always been a supporter of Taichi to the point of even prefering at a certain point in history that he date another girl (Hanano for example) because I didn't think Chihaya deserved everything he did for her.
The end of the manga arrived and I wasn't completely satisfied with this outcome because I felt something was missing: Chihaya's dramatic arc with Arata didn't seem finished to me.
Even when I had only watched the anime I thought that the love that Chihaya and Arata said they felt for each other always seemed to me as just an innocent childhood passion or more with an exaggerated admiration, because I think it's important to point out that the two barely get along know. Except for the short period they studied together, the two didn't spend any time together that didn't involve Karuta. I think it took some time for both of them to be able to compare reality with the idea they had of each other.
As the author chose not to give Chihaya and Arata moments to get involved, it seemed clear to me that the chosen path was that Chihaya would realize that real love is what she built all this time with the person she was with. on her side but she only realized when that person wasn't there: Taichi. She would finally know what love is, something she was unable to define when she was talking to Taichi on the trip to meet Arata again at the beginning of the story.
This is where Chihaya and Arata's dramatic arc doesn't end as they should have had a conversation to clear everything up and then be able to move on as friends. The story asked for this to happen, but the author preferred not to touch on the subject, this is probably what most annoys the fans who rooted for Chihaya and Arata to be together.
I liked the ending but I feel that the ending of the protagonists' arcs should have received a little more attention even if the result was the same.
Aug 10, 2022 9:14 AM

Oct 2012
^ I guess Sensei had no more space to elaborate more....and she wanted to wrap up Suou, Shinobu, Arata's personal with his grandfather, Taichi's and Chitose too so I think she had make choices. Because Chihaya's confession is important it took a big part of these last pages as well, it was actually her arc being wrapped up. Coming to understanding the feelings described in the poems in her own heart.

I felt at the finals Arata already started suspecting Chihaya's feelings for Taichi, so I don't think he really was super surprised.

They all look super happyin that last page: let's play karuta!
Aug 10, 2022 11:02 PM
Feb 2021
chiakimagoto said:
^ I guess Sensei had no more space to elaborate more....and she wanted to wrap up Suou, Shinobu, Arata's personal with his grandfather, Taichi's and Chitose too so I think she had make choices. Because Chihaya's confession is important it took a big part of these last pages as well, it was actually her arc being wrapped up. Coming to understanding the feelings described in the poems in her own heart.!

The final chapter feels rushed and with cuts in the plot. And Chihaya's confession raises many questions. Why the relationship between Chihaya and Taichi hasn't improved? Months have passed since the final and they still don't communicate. What motivates Chihaya's confession, Taichi is going to Kyoto? Chihaya is going to be left alone?
RoaldderAug 10, 2022 11:27 PM
Aug 11, 2022 7:53 AM

Jan 2020
Roaldder said:

The final chapter feels rushed and with cuts in the plot. And Chihaya's confession raises many questions. Why the relationship between Chihaya and Taichi hasn't improved? Months have passed since the final and they still don't communicate. What motivates Chihaya's confession, Taichi is going to Kyoto? Chihaya is going to be left alone?

I know that your question wasn’t directed to me, and even agreeing that the last chapter was a little bit rushed, I don’t see any problem with Chihaya’s confession. Since Taichi left the club, Chihaya started keeping her mind busy with all the stuffs possible, she was working hard to become the Queen and also she was studying for college. As we see in the last chapter, Chihaya hasn’t been accept in a college yet, so while all her friends already know what they will do, Chihaya still have to worry about that. I would love to see what happened between the Queen matches to the Graduation Ceremony, but I think fits in the narrative to think that Chihaya and Taichi got a little closer during this time. Probably not like the old times, but close enough to make Chihaya hold on her feelings. She probably thought that the things would be back normal between them, so would be okay leave things like that. She realized that wasn’t true and she found out that Taichi wasn’t going stay in Tokyo for college.
Aug 11, 2022 11:12 PM
Feb 2021
Sapertinny said:
...but I think fits in the narrative to think that Chihaya and Taichi got a little closer during this time. Probably not like the old times, but close enough to make Chihaya hold on her feelings. She probably thought that the things would be back normal between them, so would be okay leave things like that. She realized that wasn’t true and she found out that Taichi wasn’t going stay in Tokyo for college.

Thanks for the reply. The relationship between them must have improved, but it's still bad, no way like before Taichi's rejection. The proof is that Komano knows the decision to go to Kyoto and Chihaya does not. Also Taichi has chosen to go to Kyoto because "I thought a change of scenery would do me good", which means he wants to get away from Tokyo... So if Chihaya thinks it would be okay to leave things like that, the relationship they have after the matches of Meijin and Queen, the confession is a direct cause for Taichi to go to Kyoto. So if Taichi had studied at Tokyo University there would have been no confession, is that correct?
Aug 12, 2022 12:55 AM
Jun 2019
Roaldder said:
Sapertinny said:
...but I think fits in the narrative to think that Chihaya and Taichi got a little closer during this time. Probably not like the old times, but close enough to make Chihaya hold on her feelings. She probably thought that the things would be back normal between them, so would be okay leave things like that. She realized that wasn’t true and she found out that Taichi wasn’t going stay in Tokyo for college.

Thanks for the reply. The relationship between them must have improved, but it's still bad, no way like before Taichi's rejection. The proof is that Komano knows the decision to go to Kyoto and Chihaya does not. Also Taichi has chosen to go to Kyoto because "I thought a change of scenery would do me good", which means he wants to get away from Tokyo... So if Chihaya thinks it would be okay to leave things like that, the relationship they have after the matches of Meijin and Queen, the confession is a direct cause for Taichi to go to Kyoto. So if Taichi had studied at Tokyo University there would have been no confession, is that correct?
Roaldder said:
Sapertinny said:

Basically your reasoning is ignoring all Taichi and Chihaya moments before the ending (247) and after the rejections.
Its okay to be biased but deliberately chose to ignore what sensei has write is kind of stupid you know.
Aug 12, 2022 2:02 AM
Feb 2021
Banadjie27 said:
Basically your reasoning is ignoring all Taichi and Chihaya moments before the ending (247) and after the rejections.
Its okay to be biased but deliberately chose to ignore what sensei has write is kind of stupid you know.

I don't have to justify myself, but my favorite character is Taichi by far. As I seem to understand that you tell me that I don't understand things well, would you do me the favor of telling me how it's possible that with all those moments Chihaya doesn't have a good friendship relationship with Taichi yet, please.
RoaldderAug 12, 2022 2:08 AM
Aug 12, 2022 6:57 AM
Jun 2019
Roaldder said:
Banadjie27 said:

I don't have to justify myself, but my favorite character is Taichi by far. As I seem to understand that you tell me that I don't understand things well, would you do me the favor of telling me how it's possible that with all those moments Chihaya doesn't have a good friendship relationship with Taichi yet, please.

Well if Taichi is your fav, then Arata definitely your most be loved character at chihayafuru. To bad he didnt end up with Chihaya is'nt? Cause if he did how absurd would it be?

Almost no development between two of them except in Karuta, forcing Arata and Chihaya would be the final mistake sensei make it it happens in the end chapters.
Aug 12, 2022 7:56 AM
Feb 2021
Banadjie27 said:
Well if Taichi is your fav, then Arata definitely your most be loved character at chihayafuru. To bad he didnt end up with Chihaya is'nt? Cause if he did how absurd would it be?

It seems that you understand what you want to understand, regardless of what I write. Where do you get that Arata is definitely my most loved character in chihayafuru? The only thing I feel for Arata is indifference. I'd appreciate it if you didn't answer me. Thanks.

RoaldderAug 12, 2022 9:09 AM
Aug 12, 2022 8:36 PM
Jun 2019
Roaldder said:
Banadjie27 said:

It seems that you understand what you want to understand, regardless of what I write. Where do you get that Arata is definitely my most loved character in chihayafuru? The only thing I feel for Arata is indifference. I'd appreciate it if you didn't answer me. Thanks.

People which couldnt or comprehend a satire proof they are lying between their lines.
Aug 12, 2022 10:49 PM

Jan 2020
Roaldder said:

Imo, Chihaya would have confessed after a while even with Taichi living in Tokyo. I don’t know if you have fell in love before, but after a while, it’s almost impossible to hold that feelings inside. Even Chihaya being completely against changes in her life, she wouldn’t be able to fight against that urge to confess to Taichi. Because something is clear in Taichihaya relationship: if Chihaya was missing Taichi, she was missing the Taichi who loved her.
Aug 13, 2022 3:52 AM

Oct 2012
Roaldder said:
chiakimagoto said:
^ I guess Sensei had no more space to elaborate more....and she wanted to wrap up Suou, Shinobu, Arata's personal with his grandfather, Taichi's and Chitose too so I think she had make choices. Because Chihaya's confession is important it took a big part of these last pages as well, it was actually her arc being wrapped up. Coming to understanding the feelings described in the poems in her own heart.!

Again alas, often when a manga finishes, it feels a bit rushed because the mangaka is limited in the amount of pages and time. We already predicted that it would be rushed because there was still so much to handle....I'm already glad we got that 50th volume cause an ending in Volume 49 would have been disastrous....but I guess pulling this last stretch was her last option.

Seen the pages she had left to finish, I think she did a great job. She resolved all the personal arcs and ofcourse left the last space for the confession.

Ofcourse like you I would have wanted to see do much more, like what happened in the two and half months before they graduated....their college entrance, some dating stuff and why didn't they even see Arata before that tournament....I guess alot of little questions will be left unanswered but tbh I feel she still did a very good job seen the little place and time she had left. I guess the editor and publisher decided this would be it, no matter what..... it's not like writing a book where you deliver the finished version.... it's not the same approach at all. Actually being a Mangaka is such a stressful job.....it has taken a toll on many of them.

The final chapter has some very very touching moments from Arata, Suou, Shinobu, Tsichi, the trio, Chitose and last but least Chihaya....I really think it was very beautiful and Sensei really went far with foreshadowing some of these resolutions.

Chitose is a wonderful moment!

Even the trio, she made a beautiful art for this with the clouds and sea... it's Arata's poem 76.....and rowing out to a bright future, all 3 of them.... it's just great how she made their coming of age stories so good, especially Taichi, who's worst enemy was always himself....he finally made peace with himself, accepted who he was.

As for Chihaya, why didn't she confess earlier....maybe those fading feelings holding her back, maybe she was afraid to hurt him again. I guess her last lesson was to speak out loud her feelings or the person would never know and she was on the verge of losing the person that meant so much more to her than *just* a friend.....

Ofcourse we can all have wanted so much from the final of the story. I think Sensei did her best.....she put her whole heart into it and we can take or leave it. It's done. It's finished 😭
chiakimagotoAug 13, 2022 4:02 AM
Aug 13, 2022 2:42 PM
Apr 2019
I think Chihaya confessed her feelings to Taichi when she felt like it, when she was sure she could love Taichi back.
Taichi chose Kyoto (Kyodai for sure) because it, probably, has a better medical school. Can be.
As much as I love Arata, I believe that Suetsugu sensei used the available space just as she wanted to use it; there was no need to waste time on details: there are the new Queen and Meijin, Chihaya has made her own sentimental choice; Shinobu, Souo, ecc; showing up as a couple in front of Arata (will I have "sensed" right by looking at the Japanese raw?) says a lot about the "great friendship" between the three. I think if they had done it to me I would have kicked them in the ass, other than friendship! Just as the boys confessed to themselves, Chihaya had to take responsibility for saying "no" to Arata alone. She had to do it if she considers him a great friend and respects him (and this is really just a personal thought for how I think friendship is). Suetsugu sensei could use the space like this instead of proposing the couple who goes to give the good news and she didn't do it: there is a reason. I believe that nothing has been left to chance.
Without letting myself go to thoughts like "what will it be like in ten years" (someone told me that I am passive aggressive...), I believe that Chihayafuru's closure is much more normal than expected, without bows, reveries and unicorns.They will play Karuta: good! When Chihaya finishes a match against Arata, one of them will stand up and the other will wait for a new opponent. Next another; beyond there is none.
Excuse my English.
Ciao.
Aug 14, 2022 2:27 AM
Feb 2021
I still think the final chapter feels rushed and with cuts. Considering how long the manga is, I think it's more of a matter of priorities.
Aug 14, 2022 3:37 AM

Apr 2012
It was an amazing ending for outstanding series, I'll never forget every amazing moment I've experienced reading this. Thanks for the journey, also....

Fuckin hell lmao lololol never felt this happy about shipping since Kawamori nuked Ranka's ship 11 years ago, couldn't happen to a better side, they've been annoying and obnoxious considering how peaceful the overall fanbase is
Aug 15, 2022 3:20 AM

Apr 2020
Wow.. its really the end, I loved this conclusion. The Chihaya x Taichi Shippers finally won
Bye bye to one of my favourite shoujo manga and a big thank you to Suetsugu-sensei
I might eventually buy some of the manga physically to practice Japanese (there's also 3 bilingual eng/jap volumes for anyone wanting to have a physical english version of the manga)
Aug 15, 2022 4:48 AM

Sep 2015
This manga has many wonderful vignettes. But of all the ones I can remember, the one in which Chihaya and Arata go downstairs to find Taichi, is the best.

Aug 15, 2022 5:13 AM

Jul 2017
The ending was rushed considering the intricate build but it was still a fairly good chapter overall to close the series for good, and the manga overall was a great experience. Thank you to Yuki Suetsugu for pulling this series off from start to finish. Need Madhouse to be adapting this till the end now.
Aug 15, 2022 5:21 AM

Jul 2015
After 15 years, this beautiful, marvellous story comes to an end. It was such an emotional road, I'm crying.
Not only Chihaya and Arata fulfilled their dreams, but we also got to see a new side of Taichi embracing his past self and facing the future in a positive way.

And... MY SHIP FINALLY SAILED. I'M SO HAPPY! I think that she knew long ago how she felt but she needed to be sure that she could be responsible for those emotions and reciprocate them properly. I do hope we get an extra chapter with some lovey-dovey moments... Please, we are hungry for love.

I can't recommend enough this story, I hope more people will read it and discover how wonderful these characters are. And fingers crossed for a new anime season... Gosh, we really need that now.
DorayakisamaAug 15, 2022 5:25 AM
Aug 15, 2022 5:23 AM

Jul 2019
A Magical series has finally ended. What a journey!

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 15, 2022 5:50 AM

Jul 2021
What an amazing final chapter. Loved the conclusion, this was a beautiful series.
Aug 15, 2022 7:31 AM

Mar 2008
MY BOY "WON"!
I prepared myself for months and months, I had given up years ago, I gave psychological assistance to myself and them... I still can't believe!
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 246 Discussion

MaahHeim - Jun 30, 2022

37 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 30, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 179 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 15, 2017

22 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 29, 2:48 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 164 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Fentastic - Mar 29, 2016

70 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 29, 1:19 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 163 Discussion

Fentastic - Mar 4, 2016

38 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 29, 1:14 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 138 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chitai - Oct 7, 2014

83 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 28, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.