Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2021 8:26 AM

Jan 2017

Challenge Period: January 01, 2021 to December 15, 2021 11:59 p.m. (PST)
Use this thread to
  • Ask questions related to the challenge.
  • Ask for and/or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
  • Post badges donations for the challenge (please). If you do, add this: @MRC_mod
    --- When donating badges, if possible, share the links within code tags (for easier copying)
    [code]image (s) here[/code]

--- Also keep in mind the signature restrictions.
    SignatureRestrictions said:
    Images placed in forum signatures must not:

a. exceed a total area of 600px width by 150px height.
    b. exceed a total file size of 300 kB.
    c. be NSFM.

Avoid in this thread
  • Posting comments unrelated to the challenge.
  • Heated discussions (debates/arguing) deviating from the challenge.
  • Spoilers of any kind (use spoilers tags).
  • Double posting. Edit your last reply.

Please abide by the forum rules/guidelines (here)

Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks for the interest!
Join the discussion on discord and help others, ask questions, and/or give suggestions related to the challenge.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2021 8:52 AM

Dec 2013
LET'S START!
good luck to everyone. <3

Jan 7, 2021 10:25 AM

Mar 2016
Have fun and good luck everyone! We hope you'll have fun with this years edition!

> If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! If you come across cool manga recs along your way, feel also free to hit us up with recs. :)
Jan 7, 2021 12:18 PM

Dec 2013
In this: 3. Read a manga tagged under European Ambiance.

"JoJo Part 5 Vento Aureo" is not tagged in European Ambiance but the story takes place in italy. Its valid?
nnnicolasJan 7, 2021 12:26 PM
Jan 7, 2021 1:01 PM

Mar 2016
nnnicolas said:

"JoJo Part 5 Vento Aureo" is not tagged in European Ambiance but the story takes place in italy. Its valid?

Sorry, but it's not valid unless it is explicitly tagged under said tag in this case.
I am aware that this is a very borderline case, but given the chosen wording, it would lead to confusion to suddenly allow non-tagged titles, too. Which then would make the inspecting harder on certain titles, where it's not so clear due the missing tag. I hope you understand the reasoning behind the decision.
Jan 7, 2021 1:18 PM

Dec 2013
Schlopsi said:
nnnicolas said:

Sorry, but it's not valid unless it is explicitly tagged under said tag in this case.
I am aware that this is a very borderline case, but given the chosen wording, it would lead to confusion to suddenly allow non-tagged titles, too. Which then would make the inspecting harder on certain titles, where it's not so clear due the missing tag. I hope you understand the reasoning behind the decision.
ok, no problem. haha
thanks. :3
nnnicolasJan 7, 2021 6:06 PM
Jan 7, 2021 1:21 PM

Mar 2016
Hope you can suit JoJo somewhere else though! Good luck!
Also added that info to the items requiring explicit tagging. So thanks for giving that heads up, actually @nnnicolas ;)
Jan 7, 2021 5:19 PM

Feb 2018
@MRC_mod hello, i made some banners for mrc 2021 o7

Jan 7, 2021 5:24 PM

Apr 2015
Anyone got any manga with plants on the cover? I've already read some of Yotsuba and Punpun so I can't use those.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 7, 2021 6:05 PM

Dec 2013
Schlopsi said:
Hope you can suit JoJo somewhere else though! Good luck!
Also added that info to the items requiring explicit tagging. So thanks for giving that heads up, actually @nnnicolas ;)
i managed to fit jojo in kuraiko's set, fortunately.
oh, good to know i helped you somehow. <3
Jan 7, 2021 8:08 PM

Jul 2020
CatSoul said:
Anyone got any manga with plants on the cover? I've already read some of Yotsuba and Punpun so I can't use those.

Just surf on the Slice of Life section. There are quite a few manga there with plants on the cover. In addition, grass or trees are plants, and there are a lot manga covers out there that have those! Nonetheless, here are some that you can read:

Mahoutsukai no Yome. This manga has the magic genre tagged, and if you want some magical elements in your challenge, consider giving this a read.

Summer Wars.I scanned through your profile and saw that you like the movie adaptation of Summer Wars. Luckily, there is also a manga, so if you want to revisit its plot, go ahead and take a read!

Yakusoku no Neverland. Volume 10 of the manga has vines, and I saw that you are now reading the manga. Maybe you can insert the manga into this requisite.

If you're finding a short read, then Hoshi Mamoru Inu might be for you. Only has four chapters and its sequel also has the same chapter count.

Hope you like my recommendations!

chipsqlJan 7, 2021 8:52 PM
no
Jan 7, 2021 10:56 PM

Jan 2018
Anyone know if the Male Lead in this is 21+?
GythiaJan 7, 2021 11:24 PM
Jan 7, 2021 11:15 PM

Jul 2020
Gythia said:
Anyone know if the ML in this is 21+?

The main lead is exactly 300 years old, and yes, she is more than 21 years old.
no
Jan 7, 2021 11:22 PM

Jan 2018
chipsql said:
Gythia said:
Anyone know if the ML in this is 21+?

Sorry, what I meant by ML was the Male Lead, "until the young and handsome Kobayashi Satoru joins her company! Is this the start of a real, bewitching romance at last!?"

Do you know if he's 21+?
GythiaJan 7, 2021 11:26 PM
Jan 8, 2021 12:13 AM

Jul 2020
Gythia said:
chipsql said:

Sorry, what I meant by ML was the Male Lead, "until the young and handsome Kobayashi Satoru joins her company! Is this the start of a real, bewitching romance at last!?"

Do you know if he's 21+?

Yep! I scanned through the manga and confirmed that the male lead is 22 years old! I am sorry for answering you wrongly earlier, but I hope I answered now your question :>
no
Jan 8, 2021 12:27 AM

Jan 2018
chipsql said:
Gythia said:

Do you know if he's 21+?

Yep! I scanned through the manga and confirmed that the male lead is 22 years old! I am sorry for answering you wrongly earlier, but I hope I answered now your question :>
Thanks, and don't be, that was completely my fault, I completely forgot that ML is a more common abbreviation for Main Lead
Jan 8, 2021 12:45 AM

Nov 2014
Ok, so, yes, I see that we can use manga we started reading already in the year, BUT, what if we started one that we want to use for a later level item? Like, I started rereading Maid-sama on, like, the 2nd or something, and I'd like to use it for the level 7 reread. Should I just stop reading it and pick it up when I get there? Or do I need to reread my reread? I'm only 14 chapters in, so it wouldn't be a HUGE deal, but I'm curious. Especially since it's so far out
Jan 8, 2021 1:28 AM

Mar 2016
DevilsAngel9697 said:
Ok, so, yes, I see that we can use manga we started reading already in the year, BUT, what if we started one that we want to use for a later level item? Like, I started rereading Maid-sama on, like, the 2nd or something, and I'd like to use it for the level 7 reread. Should I just stop reading it and pick it up when I get there? Or do I need to reread my reread? I'm only 14 chapters in, so it wouldn't be a HUGE deal, but I'm curious. Especially since it's so far out

You need to start with the very first chapter when you are at level 7, since you cannot start a title early. So yes, you'll have to reread everything, once you have reached that level.
Jan 8, 2021 1:30 AM

Nov 2014
DevilsAngel9697 said:

Yes, you would need to start over again after having finished level 6 to use it for level 7. (EDIT: Guess I was too slow, sorry to bother you again)

@arderine Thank you, they look great! I will add them as soon as possible.

Jan 8, 2021 7:13 AM

Jun 2017
Anyone want to rec me something (preferably on the shorter side) for Kazz's level 5? :3
-Absynthe-Jan 8, 2021 7:23 AM
Jan 8, 2021 7:19 AM

Apr 2013
AyuMItsuki said:
Anyone want to rec me something (preferably on the shorter side) for Kazz's level 5? :3
What about Fujimi Lovers :3
Jan 8, 2021 3:30 PM

Feb 2012
Hello!

I'm having trouble with finding a manga for the item 15 of the first set (read a manga about spirits / life after death / souls). Can someone recommend me something? I'm good with anything but i'd rather read a short manga over a large one
"it wasn't as painful as having that possibility shoved in my face"

Jan 8, 2021 3:47 PM

Mar 2016
YurippeXD said:
Hello!

I'm having trouble with finding a manga for the item 15 of the first set (read a manga about spirits / life after death / souls). Can someone recommend me something? I'm good with anything but i'd rather read a short manga over a large one

I enjoyed Lonesome Eden a lot. If you don't mind little dialogue, since it rather let's its panels speak.
Gertrude no Recipe was pretty fun.

Otherwise I'll throw in these three links for inspiration, maybe you can find something of interest in there:
Souls
Afterlife
Spirit/s
Jan 8, 2021 3:48 PM
Twilight Lolita

Dec 2014
YurippeXD said:
Hello!

I read Nageku Shinigami last year for the item and it was short and pretty good: https://myanimelist.net/manga/16715/Nageku_Shinigami

but I'd also highly recommend About Death which is a little longer but definitely worth the read: https://myanimelist.net/manga/50027/About_Death
Jan 8, 2021 9:43 PM

Apr 2013
@jankenpyon

Hey there! I'm the MRC's host.

I saw that you're doing the challenge, and I wanted to comment that, unfortunately, that's not how the challenge is supposed to work.

You only need to read one of the items in every level, besides level 4 and level 6.

In level 4, you need to choose one of the two three-item sets, and complete the 3 items in order to advance.

And in level 6, you need to read two manga of your choosing.

However, there's also the fact that you need to complete the levels in order, so you can't finish level 2 before level 1.

I think that's mostly it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the discussion thread or read the rules and the FAQ. :)
Jan 9, 2021 6:02 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Good luck and have fun everyone! This years challenge seems a bit restrictive with what choices of manga you have to work on at the same time. But maybe I just haven't understand the concept correctly so far. I will take a second look at the rules later!

I was thinking about using only Sports manga this year and worked out a set I can complete with this in mind. One of the items required to read a manga with a 1-word title. Is https://myanimelist.net/manga/25300/RRR a one-word title? Or is "RRR" not considered to be a "word"? Does it has to be found in some dictionary to be considered a "word"?
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Jan 9, 2021 6:41 AM

Dec 2019
Kazzeon said:
@jankenpyon

Hey there! I'm the MRC's host.

I saw that you're doing the challenge, and I wanted to comment that, unfortunately, that's not how the challenge is supposed to work.

You only need to read one of the items in every level, besides level 4 and level 6.

In level 4, you need to choose one of the two three-item sets, and complete the 3 items in order to advance.

And in level 6, you need to read two manga of your choosing.

However, there's also the fact that you need to complete the levels in order, so you can't finish level 2 before level 1.

I think that's mostly it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the discussion thread or read the rules and the FAQ. :)

My apologies. This is my first time so the instructions are daunting to me. I fixed most of that, and will be sure to complete the levels in order in the next set. Unless that isn't allowed?
Jan 9, 2021 6:59 AM

Mar 2016
Brati said:
Good luck and have fun everyone! This years challenge seems a bit restrictive with what choices of manga you have to work on at the same time. But maybe I just haven't understand the concept correctly so far. I will take a second look at the rules later!

I was thinking about using only Sports manga this year and worked out a set I can complete with this in mind. One of the items required to read a manga with a 1-word title. Is https://myanimelist.net/manga/25300/RRR a one-word title? Or is "RRR" not considered to be a "word"? Does it has to be found in some dictionary to be considered a "word"?

Hey! It needs to be a proper word. In this case it's an abbreviation (for Rock 'n' Roll Ricky it seems), so that does not count as word.

@jankenpyon No worries! If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Your first set is not valid as of now, because you have to read the manga in order of the levels. You pick one item for each level (except level 4 - here you pick one of the two mini sets). Then your dates in a set have to be in consecutive order, like in this example.
You cannot start level 2 or later levels, before you finished level 1. You cannot start reading for level 4, if you haven't finished level 3, etc.
Since you put Helter Skelter (read on Jan 8) into level 1, you cannot use anything you have read earlier than that into the later levels. So the manga you read for level 3 and following don't work anymore.
However, you don't have to stick with a set and can try to fit those you've read before Jan 8 into a different set. Just keep in mind, that the same rules apply here, too. Does that make it a bit more understandable?
Jan 9, 2021 9:28 AM

Jan 2017
Hello
sorry for the inconvenience
i just wanna make sure,since i am doing Level 2 difficulty this year i am planning to remove all the sets and keep just the 2 Required sets.will there be a problem?

and how do i add screenshots proof?do i just chuck the picture in a "SPOILER" tag?
thank you very much
Jan 9, 2021 9:57 AM

Mar 2016
quazisourav said:
Hello
sorry for the inconvenience
i just wanna make sure,since i am doing Level 2 difficulty this year i am planning to remove all the sets and keep just the 2 Required sets.will there be a problem?

and how do i add screenshots proof?do i just chuck the picture in a "SPOILER" tag?
thank you very much

Yes, you can remove all the unused sets/items.
You can either embed the screenshot in a spoiler tag or linked - we don't mind either way, as long as it's there.
Jan 9, 2021 1:02 PM

Oct 2015
Anyone have good manhua/manhwa to recommend? Preferrably less like Tower of God / God of Highschool (since I don't really like both of those based on the anime)
Jan 9, 2021 1:14 PM

Jul 2017
EGOIST said:
Anyone have good manhua/manhwa to recommend? Preferrably less like Tower of God / God of Highschool (since I don't really like both of those based on the anime)

Here you have a few:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/93350/Ayeshahs_Secret
https://myanimelist.net/manga/98986/Baby
https://myanimelist.net/manga/64087/Afterschool_War_Activities
https://myanimelist.net/manga/124471/Moon_You
Jan 9, 2021 1:16 PM

Oct 2015
Armandoriel said:
EGOIST said:

Here you have a few:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/93350/Ayeshahs_Secret
https://myanimelist.net/manga/98986/Baby
https://myanimelist.net/manga/64087/Afterschool_War_Activities
https://myanimelist.net/manga/124471/Moon_You
Thank you! Honestly I might just read up all of them after reading a bit of their synopsis
Jan 9, 2021 1:17 PM
Jan 9, 2021 1:20 PM

Oct 2015
Schlopsi said:
EGOIST said:

EGOIST said:

Manhwa:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/125036/The_Horizon
https://myanimelist.net/manga/5767/The_Flowers_of_Evil
https://myanimelist.net/manga/553/Threads_of_Time
https://myanimelist.net/manga/25257/Yeonmo
https://myanimelist.net/manga/108021/What_Does_the_Fox_Say
Vengeance

Also currently reading, but having lot's of fun with for now: Nanohana Boys
Manhua:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/14550/Lonesome_Eden
https://myanimelist.net/manga/10956/Doctor_Du_Ming
definitely heard of the horizon and what does the fox say but thanks I'll give all of these a shot :)
Jan 9, 2021 1:55 PM

May 2018
"Read a BL or GL manga."
What is "bl" and "gl"?
Jan 9, 2021 2:05 PM

Jul 2017
Uzyrgyv said:
"Read a BL or GL manga."
What is "bl" and "gl"?

BL/GL = Boy Love / Girl Love

Anything with genre: Shounen Ai | Yaoi | Shoujo Ai | Yuri
Jan 9, 2021 2:55 PM
Nov 2016
Hello,

I would like to read Fire Force for the challenge where the main character needs to be a professional in its field. I haven't read or watched it yet, but in my unterstanding the main character joins the fire force (though it is a special unit). Is this a valid choice for the challenge item?
Jan 9, 2021 3:12 PM

Mar 2016
balloonie said:
Hello,

I would like to read Fire Force for the challenge where the main character needs to be a professional in its field. I haven't read or watched it yet, but in my unterstanding the main character joins the fire force (though it is a special unit). Is this a valid choice for the challenge item?

Yes, it counts. :)
Jan 9, 2021 4:42 PM

Mar 2016

You probably realized it already, but this is the sign up thread. Don't worry about this thread and just post your form (what you posted here) into the linked thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :)
Jan 9, 2021 4:44 PM
Jun 2020
Schlopsi said:

You probably realized it already, but this is the sign up thread. Don't worry about this thread and just post your form (what you posted here) into the linked thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :)
kk thnx, i’ll do that
Jan 9, 2021 9:30 PM
Jun 2020
So for the first set it says read an award winning manga, am I allowed to do spy x family even though I already started it? or for every single manga in the challenge has to be something i’ve never read or started.
Jan 9, 2021 10:03 PM

Apr 2013
wanda515 said:
So for the first set it says read an award winning manga, am I allowed to do spy x family even though I already started it? or for every single manga in the challenge has to be something i’ve never read or started.
Every single manga has to be read completely during the challenge period. (January 1st - December 15th)
If you already started something, you would have to reread it during the challenge period for it to count.
Jan 9, 2021 10:06 PM
Jun 2020
Kazzeon said:
wanda515 said:
Every single manga has to be read completely during the challenge period. (January 1st - December 15th)
If you already started something, you would have to reread it during the challenge period for it to count.

kk thnx, i’ll re read it from the beginning
Jan 9, 2021 10:20 PM

Apr 2013
jankenpyon said:
My apologies. This is my first time so the instructions are daunting to me. I fixed most of that, and will be sure to complete the levels in order in the next set. Unless that isn't allowed?
No worries, but you'd have to fix all of it for the challenge to be counted as "valid" and for you to be added to the completed users list, which is what would be ideal, but if you don't really care about that, you're free to do the challenge however you like.
Otherwise, what Schlopsi said.
Jan 10, 2021 1:38 AM
Jun 2012
Sorry for asking, I need help with 16. Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.
I would prefer something completed if possible, thank you.
Jan 10, 2021 2:30 AM

Jul 2017
yube said:
Sorry for asking, I need help with 16. Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

Here you have a few short ones, hope some catch your interest:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/27425/Yajirobee
https://myanimelist.net/manga/29845/Yagyuu_Hijouken_Samon
https://myanimelist.net/manga/100217/Uratarou
https://myanimelist.net/manga/1450/Skyhigh
https://myanimelist.net/manga/105625/Mad_Chimera_World
https://myanimelist.net/manga/17222/Kansen_Rettou
Jan 10, 2021 2:49 AM

Nov 2014
yube said:

I'll expand what you have to choose from with these:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/111835/Manga_de_Yomu_Jinsei_ga_Tokimeku_Katazuke_no_Mahou
https://myanimelist.net/manga/729/Emma?q=Emma&cat=manga
https://myanimelist.net/manga/70465/Fujimi_Lovers?q=Fujimi%20&cat=manga
https://myanimelist.net/manga/85793/Sakura_Discord?q=Sakura%20discord&cat=manga
Jan 10, 2021 5:03 AM

Mar 2016
yube said:

Adding two more recs:
Since you have Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou in your faves, you might want to check out The Horizon.
And a oneshot Yuusha Goikkou no Kaerimichi.
Jan 10, 2021 5:07 AM

Dec 2013
Let me see if I got everything right: In order to go to level 2, I need to have completed at least one of the items on level 1, but do I need to complete all items on all levels of the sets I picked in order to finish the challenge? Edit: BTW I plan on doing the Vagabond difficulty
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
2 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
4 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
4 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
5 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.