Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Oct 18, 2020 8:43 AM
Feb 2017
Nino looked like loli kurumi it makes me more depress after what happen in this dark episode.As what others have said hopefully after this it's gonna be sunny all the way to epi 12 I can't take anymore depression in my life
Oct 18, 2020 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
i expect there will be more episodes like this one with one episode inbetween that is light-hearted similar to episode 2 since this seems to be the way the LN is structured as well. Can't say I particularly like these kinds of structure though. Yes, i get it, the world is dark and full of sad stories but that's just a really depressing outlook since the reverse could easily be true depending on a person's worldview.

removed-userOct 18, 2020 9:54 AM
Oct 18, 2020 9:15 AM
Jun 2017
Atelier_Weiss said:
A bit disappointed in the adaptation of the flower field chapter, I didn't read the novel but in the manga there was far more meat to it than what we saw here. We didn't even get the backstory on the couple and what their deal is which was basically the punchline of the story.

Second story was fine. That tiny little detail where Nino leaves the village chief's room tying up her dress left a really sour taste in my mouth and it's the type of thing you can easily miss. Animation as usual is great, not on the levels of Violet Evergarden or anything but it's definitely pleasant to look at.

The adaptation of this story in the anime was very good in comparison with the LN, who also does not tell of the past history of the couple and is very short as well
Oct 18, 2020 9:48 AM

Aug 2018
Ryoketsu said:
It may not be an error in the text itself, but the episode's presentation was flawed and really made it look out of place, right after she helped someone in the previous episode.

In addition, the three promises are as follows:

1) Run away if she was about to face danger.
2) Do not think that she is special, as she is a person like others.
3) Return home one day.

I don't know what kind of interpretation you made of them, but to me there doesn't seem to be a point that says "don't interfere with the injustices of the world, don't play heroin".

Elaina didn't choose to just be an observer to keep a promise, she didn't act because she didn't want to act. I can accept that choice, but the anime needed to show her reasons. It didn't.

One usually doesn't take an action solely because it's their nature. For example, I would likely help an acquaintance over someone I don't know if I had something to lose in both case due to personal reasons, whether it's in my nature to help someone or not. For Elaina there are reasons why she would help Saya and not everyone; she understands Saya's situation well and even resonated with her. Therefore that aspect was not out of place.

The first part of episode 3 came to an abrupt halt. The author's message was "doing an act of kindness will not always yield desirable results". The ending to the first part was quite awkward because it didn't really reflect on the message but the bringing of the flowers somewhat did. Perhaps what would emphasize the message more would be for her to try to save the guard, in which the guard later commits suicide due to horrible depression from being separated from his sister. But then again Elaina probably understand this, so this approach may go against her character. Attempting to destroy the field and resulting in a dire aftermath is another approach. But then again, she probably knows not to without due consideration for the potential ramifications of doing so. Regardless, the ending to the first part was too abrupt and could have been done better to emphasize the message.

The second half touched on the message well. We see other characters around her creating a screw up while she plays the role of observer. If one, upon remembering the tragic ending of a tale, were to turn around and say to someone "hey I think your love is going to commit suicide because I remember this tale...", this would be commonly referred to as paranoia. Her words "I don't want to know what happens..." were an appropriate end due to her uncertainty of the outcome while also hinting to the audience that what the young boy did was less than favorable.
OpticflashOct 18, 2020 9:59 AM
Oct 18, 2020 10:09 AM

Oct 2011
Wow. This entire episode made me mad. Like... I watched it yesterday and I'm still mad.
Oct 18, 2020 10:22 AM
Jan 2010
elaina withdraws coolly
Oct 18, 2020 10:33 AM

Feb 2010
HistoricalMaize said:
actions if she was a common mortal with no power in that situation I would see her as actually powerless to do anything but the truth is witchs are almost gods in that world they can do pretty much anything besides resurecting people and I have seen people saying that despite all of this somehow this makes her character more human and I am here thinking if a human in our world could solve so many problems by waving a wand and he did not he would be considered a sociopath.

that's kind of one of the major problems and contradictions here isn't it if you start the series presenting a group/characters as practically omnipotent. (yet we are show that they almost do nothing in any given situation.)

if you give a character god like power then your character will fall under scrutiny with the problem of evil.

if they are able and not willing then they are malevolent.
-Epicurus

this is why dialogue with characters psyche is so important.
because if you give us nothing then we have only philosophy to work buy and by the problem of evil she would fall under malevolent.
GrimAtramentOct 18, 2020 10:38 AM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 18, 2020 10:41 AM
May 2020
i really late to post this, but MAJORITY of ppl (heck i would say haters) forgot that in ep 2 Elaina herself said it's already 6 months after the event with girl in ep 2 (i'm sorry i forgot her name)

it's really logical if we think how many "dark" experiences that Elaina has faced in her journey. IN THAT 6 MONTHS.

also remember she is still 15 years old.
Oct 18, 2020 10:53 AM

Jan 2019
Opticflash said:
One usually doesn't take an action solely because it's their nature.

The problem with that is, the anime didn't say or show that Elaina's nature is that in the first place.

Opticflash said:
For Elaina there are reasons why she would help Saya and not everyone

This may be true, but the anime has not been clear enough about it. Therefore, Elaina's choice for non-interference seems out of place in relation to what was shown about her in the previous episode. In order for the audience to understand why Elaina chose not to interfere with the slave's life in this episode, the anime should have shown the reasons and did not.

I can accept her choice, but not without reason.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 18, 2020 10:58 AM

Dec 2018
hazarddex said:
HistoricalMaize said:
actions if she was a common mortal with no power in that situation I would see her as actually powerless to do anything but the truth is witchs are almost gods in that world they can do pretty much anything besides resurecting people and I have seen people saying that despite all of this somehow this makes her character more human and I am here thinking if a human in our world could solve so many problems by waving a wand and he did not he would be considered a sociopath.

that's kind of one of the major problems and contradictions here isn't it if you start the series presenting a group/characters as practically omnipotent. (yet we are show that they almost do nothing in any given situation.)

if you give a character god like power then your character will fall under scrutiny with the problem of evil.

if they are able and not willing then they are malevolent.
-Epicurus

this is why dialogue with characters psyche is so important.
because if you give us nothing then we have only philosophy to work buy and by the problem of evil she would fall under malevolent.

Finally someone who gets it, my problem is not the fact that she is not the typical protagonist that wants to "fight for justice" and "save everyone" my problem is the people that argue that she is some kind of embodiment of a powerless human are just not watching the same anime as I am because what I am watching is a narcissistic character that does not help other people despite having more than enough power to do so with litle effort and then excuses this behaviour by saying in a really complicated way "it is not my problem" which is fine ( for a fictional character) but the moment she makes that decision she is either evil or stupidly naive ( and her being naive does not even make sense because she has been travelling the world for 3 years already plenty of time to understand things so she just does not care).

ryan_fajr said:
i really late to post this, but MAJORITY of ppl (heck i would say haters) forgot that in ep 2 Elaina herself said it's already 6 months after the event with girl in ep 2 (i'm sorry i forgot her name)

it's really logical if we think how many "dark" experiences that Elaina has faced in her journey. IN THAT 6 MONTHS.

also remember she is still 15 years old.
t

Dude she is not 15 years old she is 18 there was a time skip after her training was over that excuse does not work, she does not help people despite being almost a god in that world she is not a mere mortal and she already had enough time to learn how thing works so the naive excuse does not work. If she is able to help people, and she is more than able to do that with litle to no effort due to how powerful she is, and she does not she is evil.

---------------
Mod Note: Merged consecutive posts
dipItFooOct 18, 2020 10:57 PM
Oct 18, 2020 11:42 AM

Feb 2010
Kse3a5 said:
I can't understand people who thinks Elaina should've helped the slave

Traveler Rule 1: Don't interfere other people's life, otherwise it might end even worse

now that i am not suffering from sleep deterioration due to overtime work.

let me just say that real world logic stops applying with characters that can sneeze fire balls.

also most real world travelers don't go to countries that regularly practice slavery and a good portion that do never come back.

@ryan_fajr

1. not a hater i'm still watching it for some later parts.

2. shes not 15 did you miss the time skip?

3. i'm mostly here to explain why people are taking issue with her personality.

i think you will find that most people don't agree with slavery sexual abuse and causing suicide.

anyway i think the problem with the idea that shes staying true to her mothers wishes is that

mother: don't try to act special your no different then anyone else

Elinia going around saying: "I am the most beautiful person."

mother in grave: "Bruh"
GrimAtramentOct 18, 2020 12:03 PM
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 18, 2020 12:35 PM

Mar 2010
Nothing out of the norm, this is reality. What we perceive as dark is just mere perspective, As I live a life of pain this was nothing to the contrary. So yeah Twas a great episode

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 18, 2020 12:44 PM

May 2015
That was a great episode. Probably my favorite show of the season ( besides show that are not on their first season )
Oct 18, 2020 1:49 PM

Dec 2014
this episode was really something... quite a depressing episode..I thought elaina would change something...but like she mentioned she is only a traveller and not a character that can change people lives...
Oct 18, 2020 4:00 PM
Nov 2017
ShiroHachi said:
Aversa said:
Flesh eating plants a naive kid and an old pervert.
I guess this is the dark side of their world, since the story so far has been pretty rose coloured it's a clear sign that not everything is as it seems.
The question is should she have helped them or not i kind of like the idea that she isn't a overly righteous person since that's something we see way to often in anime.
She seems more of a realist tho she is a bit of a narcissist.

Good, someone noticed Elaina's personality this early because you will often see her doing such things, she is not a hero and what happened to that person is also beyond her control and cannot be saved anymore. Her mother also told Elaina to stay out of danger

This is BS hero or not what’s the point of being a witch if u don’t help anyone. I have nothing to gain from watching this anymore she’s just going to pretend none of that happened and just move on not once but twice in one episode what a cold hearted bitch
Oct 18, 2020 4:02 PM
Nov 2017
Coaghim said:
I really liked My little witch academy and I thought Elaina would deliver more of that. This last episode however... made me realise this is NOT like My little witch academia...

Thank u I thought I might be alone in this but I will never be ok with someone who feigns ignorance and pretends it doesn’t have anything to do with her. F Elaina
Oct 18, 2020 4:53 PM

Jan 2008
First story was really short and felt pretty incomplete.

The second half was much better. The old guy was clearly taking suggestive looks at Elaine and even brought up the slave girl being a beauty growing up. Intent is rather obvious if he has not already done something.

I'm okay with the obscure endings to these short stories with only hints as to what actually happened as long as the stories themselves aren't lacking and aimless like the flower field one.
Oct 18, 2020 5:34 PM
Dec 2019
I'm dropping this. This seemed at first like sweeter version of Kino's Journey, the 2nd episode was somewhat disappointing but passable, and now it turned into as dark as some Kino's episodes except Elaine is shit compared to Kino. Kino had fraction of power or respect Elaine has, and she rarely was in position to help anyone - usually she was too late and only witnessed the ending, or had whole army to fight if she wanted to intervene, or issue was with the given city's people whole ideology, or the issue was so grey there wasn't a side she could pick
She was also not above helping others if she could - she didn't sought it, but she didn't refuse it either. The one time she met slavers she ended up killing them (cause they attacked her), and their victims were already dead - there was no "I could easily help but I will leave and chuckle to myself about her suicide". She was clearly visibly disturbed at the times she encountered a horrible situation and was powerless to help.
I'm writing all this about Kino because this show tries to be similar but completely fails me.
Oct 18, 2020 6:30 PM
May 2019
I see a lot of people saying the flower story was incomplete, but has anyone considered that the abruptness influenced Elaina's actions in the following story?
Oct 18, 2020 6:35 PM
Dec 2017
hazarddex said:
apep23 said:

Not that i don't understand any of the raged guys. But know this for instance, she's a witch and witch do thing alone from their own core, not just your daily magician that put the premise that her wand should be used to justify something in case of that morality of majority talks. And see what the boy do there? Showing something that in his mind that'll make her happy by showing things that she can't enjoy and make her more and more in despair. She knows that too, and after she helps her to escape the mansion itself, and leaves her somewhere in country that the maid doesn't have any ideas how to live and then continue her journey? Is it responsible? And if she wants to settle down, what is the meaning of having diary that record her journey?

People these day got fed by your usual isekai theme that magic and sword should be used to save lots of things, see shield hero and saw reality in there for once. When the bow guy saves a country that they told him have some bad governor then after the war they suffers from famine and that bow guy just want some fame out of it and irresponsible about the aftermath. If you tell me that when you can't do anything and do something rash that could endanger myself mentally or physically, should I do that? What if another action like she commit suicide and after elaina helps her, then the blame put on her shoulder too

the problem with Eaina for me isn't that she didn't help them, but that she flat as fk in terms of characters development and this flatness hasn't improved.

also

it's funny you use shield hero because even if the MC knows he can't help everyone he still tries (untill he turns into edgy uncooperative Misantrope later in the manga after he gets his revenge.)

shield hero had a good first arc, but the manga gets shitty because after he gets his revenge he turns into a whinny edge lord of "let the world burn i don't like these people anyways." person. (hello earth to dingus you currently live in that world too.) seems like a case of the author doesn't know what to do with the story afterwards.

I'm using bow hero as reference, not the shield hero my g. Yeah i know that she lacks in character, what would you expect from 18 years old girl that still scared to do things? She's on her adolescence, if she afraid to help people that might be suicidal with either after she helps them or when she didn't help them, it's natural in my opinion
"Life isn't always bright as daylight, the real personality of every person is when the night comes and the moonlight that shines through the dark hours."

Oct 18, 2020 6:39 PM
Dec 2017
HistoricalMaize said:
apep23 said:

Not that i don't understand any of the raged guys. But know this for instance, she's a witch and witch do thing alone from their own core, not just your daily magician that put the premise that her wand should be used to justify something in case of that morality of majority talks. And see what the boy do there? Showing something that in his mind that'll make her happy by showing things that she can't enjoy and make her more and more in despair. She knows that too, and after she helps her to escape the mansion itself, and leaves her somewhere in country that the maid doesn't have any ideas how to live and then continue her journey? Is it responsible? And if she wants to settle down, what is the meaning of having diary that record her journey?

People these day got fed by your usual isekai theme that magic and sword should be used to save lots of things, see shield hero and saw reality in there for once. When the bow guy saves a country that they told him have some bad governor then after the war they suffers from famine and that bow guy just want some fame out of it and irresponsible about the aftermath. If you tell me that when you can't do anything and do something rash that could endanger myself mentally or physically, should I do that? What if another action like she commit suicide and after elaina helps her, then the blame put on her shoulder too

I was refering to the dude that was saying that "Just because you are doing something for someone else doesn't make it right" is a good advice when it is really flawed because even in the example you gave about the bow hero in rising of the shield hero the bow hero did nothing wrong as far as I remember like he helped that country and then he went on his way its not his fault that the people there just decided to repeat everything all over again and even if I agreed with the example you just gave whats the excuse for her not to destroy the flower field? like sure burning it would do more harm than good but with magic you have a lot more ways to destroy that field and save a lot of lives and again it would be way easier for me to accept Elainas actions if she was a common mortal with no power in that situation I would see her as actually powerless to do anything but the truth is witchs are almost gods in that world they can do pretty much anything besides resurecting people and I have seen people saying that despite all of this somehow this makes her character more human and I am here thinking if a human in our world could solve so many problems by waving a wand and he did not he would be considered a sociopath.

Well, fair point. it's not like that bow guy is in wrong, but doing things aren't always good or necessary, yeah it's too bad for that maid, but i don't see how she'll do things in that situation.
"Life isn't always bright as daylight, the real personality of every person is when the night comes and the moonlight that shines through the dark hours."

Oct 18, 2020 6:55 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
That was a genuinely terrible episode. It was not satisfying in the least.

First off, the plant story was completely and utterly pointless. When the guard mentioned his sister, I thought that it was going to go somewhere. But it didn't, at all. In fact, it felt completely unfinished. The guard foolishly went after his sister, who is a plant now apparently, and now he's become her food. After that it showed these flower zombies walking around and that was.... it? What about the field that has flowers that can drive people mad and kill them? Elaina just walks away from that? Hell that entire plot could be its own episode. How incredibly bizarre.

The second half of the episode is what I had the biggest problem with. As soon as the boy said he was collecting happiness, I could tell this was not going to end well. I could tell he was well intentioned, but ultimately failed to consider Nina's feelings and see the bigger picture. So Nina walks out of a room putting on a piece of clothing. Then shortly after the fat father walks out as well, buttoning up his shirt. I could immediately see what was going on, not to mention him checking out every inch of Elaina. As soon as he said he had bought Nina, it confirmed my theory. Of course following was a fit of rage with abuse.

Then bowl cut boy shows her others' happy lives, while she is stuck a slave for a fat pile of garbage. I knew with the amount of time left that there would be no real resolution to this story. Then Elaina mentions another story she's read that was similar to this situation, where the girl was driven to suicide as her depression worsened rather than improved. So in the end, we get a story with no real resolution, a girl who is trapped as a slave forever, and there's a implication that the happiness she witnessed that she knew she could never attain drove her to suicide. And with no indication on visiting this story line again, the reader is left wondering with no real answer.

One thing that comes to mind as I think about this episode is Elaina's complacency with what was going on for both stories. She's ok with a flowers that can kill innocents? She's ok with an innocent girl being physically and sexually abused by a cruel man? How can I cheer for a protagonist when they don't care about the suffering of others? As far as I'm aware she isn't some kind of anti-hero archetype. Honestly, I can't even tell what archetype she is. Is she a Paragon, who no longer needs growing or development? Because she hasn't seen development since episode 1. It also annoys the hell out of me that every episode starts with an inner monologue of her complimenting herself. She just isn't likable.

With this show's cutesy visuals and adventurous sounding plot, I thought this would be in the same vein as other magical witch shows, such as Flying Witch. But after 3 episodes full of depraved, greedy, and even unsettling characters, this is clearly far from anything I was expecting.

This was unsatisfying, disturbing, and ultimately a waste of time. I'll give Elaina one more chance, but if we get another episode as bad as this one, I'm out.

1/5
takkun_Oct 18, 2020 7:06 PM
Oct 18, 2020 7:49 PM
Jul 2015
Not every character needs to be a shounen revolutionary hero like Naruto and solve all of the world's proglems.

still quite the dark episode for sure.
Oct 18, 2020 7:51 PM

Apr 2013
Great episode. I changed my score for this anime from 8 to 9. It's a great storytelling.Maybe I start to read the LN after this season ends.
Oct 18, 2020 7:57 PM

Dec 2015
Not sure if Elaina's a psychopath or just a really shitty person.
Oct 18, 2020 8:13 PM

Nov 2017
I am a witch, and you are an ordinary person man. So stfu and gtfo!!

Oct 18, 2020 8:58 PM
May 2017
Elaine is not an envoy from God, who travels the world to fix it.

Elaine is a traveler, who wants to discover the world as it really is.

The anime, in my opinion, is all about showing that there are good and bad things in the world and, no matter how you see it, you can't fix everything.

By the comments, I think some people are missing that point.
LastyeOct 18, 2020 9:06 PM
Oct 18, 2020 9:03 PM

Aug 2018
miscshade said:
I see a lot of people saying the flower story was incomplete, but has anyone considered that the abruptness influenced Elaina's actions in the following story?

The problem with the flower story is that the direct linkage towards the second half isn't clear as no actions were taken. It ended very abruptly. For example had she tried to help the guard only to have him end up committing suicide to be with his sister, then there would be a more direct link towards the second half where Elaina doesn't do anything. There was no strong theme of "she was trying to help someone but it backfired" or any observation of someone else trying to help someone. The only link was her bringing flowers, but it's very indirect.
Todd_ said:
That was a genuinely terrible episode. It was not satisfying in the least.

First off, the plant story was completely and utterly pointless. When the guard mentioned his sister, I thought that it was going to go somewhere. But it didn't, at all. In fact, it felt completely unfinished. The guard foolishly went after his sister, who is a plant now apparently, and now he's become her food. After that it showed these flower zombies walking around and that was.... it? What about the field that has flowers that can drive people mad and kill them? Elaina just walks away from that? Hell that entire plot could be its own episode. How incredibly bizarre.

The second half of the episode is what I had the biggest problem with. As soon as the boy said he was collecting happiness, I could tell this was not going to end well. I could tell he was well intentioned, but ultimately failed to consider Nina's feelings and see the bigger picture. So Nina walks out of a room putting on a piece of clothing. Then shortly after the fat father walks out as well, buttoning up his shirt. I could immediately see what was going on, not to mention him checking out every inch of Elaina. As soon as he said he had bought Nina, it confirmed my theory. Of course following was a fit of rage with abuse.

Then bowl cut boy shows her others' happy lives, while she is stuck a slave for a fat pile of garbage. I knew with the amount of time left that there would be no real resolution to this story. Then Elaina mentions another story she's read that was similar to this situation, where the girl was driven to suicide as her depression worsened rather than improved. So in the end, we get a story with no real resolution, a girl who is trapped as a slave forever, and there's a implication that the happiness she witnessed that she knew she could never attain drove her to suicide. And with no indication on visiting this story line again, the reader is left wondering with no real answer.

One thing that comes to mind as I think about this episode is Elaina's complacency with what was going on for both stories. She's ok with a flowers that can kill innocents? She's ok with an innocent girl being physically and sexually abused by a cruel man? How can I cheer for a protagonist when they don't care about the suffering of others? As far as I'm aware she isn't some kind of anti-hero archetype. Honestly, I can't even tell what archetype she is. Is she a Paragon, who no longer needs growing or development? Because she hasn't seen development since episode 1. It also annoys the hell out of me that every episode starts with an inner monologue of her complimenting herself. She just isn't likable.

With this show's cutesy visuals and adventurous sounding plot, I thought this would be in the same vein as other magical witch shows, such as Flying Witch. But after 3 episodes full of depraved, greedy, and even unsettling characters, this is clearly far from anything I was expecting.

This was unsatisfying, disturbing, and ultimately a waste of time. I'll give Elaina one more chance, but if we get another episode as bad as this one, I'm out.

1/5

Leaving a resolution unfinished is a very common tactic in writing. It's the author's idea to keep an audience guessing about what happens in the story so the audience can continue to think about and discuss the aspects of the story.
Oct 18, 2020 9:46 PM
May 2019
[quote=Opticflash message=60953288]
miscshade said:

The problem with the flower story is that the direct linkage towards the second half isn't clear as no actions were taken. It ended very abruptly. For example had she tried to help the guard only to have him end up committing suicide to be with his sister, then there would be a more direct link towards the second half where Elaina doesn't do anything. There was no strong theme of "she was trying to help someone but it backfired" or any observation of someone else trying to help someone. The only link was her bringing flowers, but it's very indirect.[quote=Todd_ message=60952789]That was a genuinely terrible episode. It was not satisfying in the least.

Elaina bringing the flowers to the village was the reason everyone started turning into flower zombies. She thought she would be making someone happy by bringing them flowers, but instead it backfired. That's a direct parallel to the second story where the bowl-cut boy brings the slave girl happy memories thinking he would make her day. Elaina doesn't act this time because she's afraid of the consequences, and this is implied by the scene where she points her wand at the old guy.
Oct 18, 2020 9:56 PM

Oct 2018
They deleted my posts for some reason so I guess I'll just say my thoughts without quoting someone else.

I thought this episode in particular really highlighted everything I've disliked about this anime so far:
a) the protagonist is, for lack of a better word, a complete mary sue, and a very unlikeable one at that. She is extremely powerful, but rarely uses her power to help those truly in need. It would be one thing if she had some inner turmoil about the two cases in the episode, but she is always portrayed as right. Leaving a slave to die? Nah she's fine.

b) It's a typical cute but dark anime. I'm genuinely sick of seeing anime expect me to care about their plot when its just a generic edgy plotline with a cutesy main character. "Dark" anime are good because they bring up interesting questions. What is interesting or thought provoking about seeing a slave getting abused? Is it bad? Of course. Can she help? Maybe. Those answers are set in stone, NOBODY thinks otherwise.
fluroboyOct 24, 2020 2:25 AM
Oct 18, 2020 11:05 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread Cleaned

Remember to refrain from bickering and bating, it just detracts from the episode discussion.

In addition, remember to keep all posts about the episode itself, going too far off topic just perpetuates more off topic posts.

In accordance with the board specific rules please remember to follow the Site Guidelines as well to further prevent violations.
Oct 19, 2020 12:51 AM
Oct 2013
Hanfos said:
Nilvius said:
It's easy to call her useless but consider this: at the end of the day, she's still just a teenage girl going out alone into a world she knows little about. Sure, she knows magic, but knowing magic isn't unique and you never know what other repercussions may occur. Not all stories need to have clear cut solutions to have a point to having it made. Perhaps it's better for you to think of this series to be akin to Twilight Zone style of anthology series with Elaina functioning more like the Rod Serling equivalent who introduces us to the various setting.

ur right
maybe its just a type of anime which doesnt fit me

this anime ep was just as dark like real life every day
ppl get hurt and other ppl which have the power to help stay around and record it with their phone
she doing the same but write it instead in her dairy at the end of the day

i watch anime to get taken in another world and not to watch real life in anime style

People once said people with power have a greater responsibility. I don't really mind if she's not helping if she was travelling by walking or moving in a wagon or something similar, but when you can fly, you can shoot fireball and you can produce catastrophe at your whim, and then just be a bystander instead of helping that's what I called stupid premises. By the end, I was just, you are a a witch and the only thing you can do is just fix broken jug and watched people assimilated by plant? She can do so much more openly and covertly (if she want to say hidden) but no, gotta get out of here.
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Oct 19, 2020 12:52 AM

Feb 2010
dang_ said:

I guess Elaina really follow her mother advices, huh?

i mean not really he move also told her that she wasn't any more special they anyone else and not to act special.

yet from episode 1 onward she acts narcissistic.

see my older comment

Elinia going around saying: "I am the most beautiful person in the world."

niknasr said:
Hanfos said:

ur right
maybe its just a type of anime which doesnt fit me

this anime ep was just as dark like real life every day
ppl get hurt and other ppl which have the power to help stay around and record it with their phone
she doing the same but write it instead in her dairy at the end of the day

i watch anime to get taken in another world and not to watch real life in anime style

People once said people with power have a greater responsibility. I don't really mind if she's not helping if she was travelling by walking or moving in a wagon or something similar, but when you can fly, you can shoot fireball and you can produce catastrophe at your whim, and then just be a bystander instead of helping that's what I called stupid premises. By the end, I was just, you are a a witch and the only thing you can do is just fix broken jug and watched people assimilated by plant? She can do so much more openly and covertly (if she want to say hidden) but no, gotta get out of here.

it's more of witches are shown in this series to be basically Omnipotent besides bringing back the dead.

when shes fighting flan we see them basically having whats basically a DBZ fight minus punching in the middle of a hill top.

tossing boulders creating wind that can cut you to pieces burning the land with fire etc.

not to mention time magic in episode 2 (No seriously when you can alter time and space reality is basically your plaything before you.)
for example.

honestly not going to lie if this series had her basically being a Gaunter O’Dimm type character she would be miles more interesting.
GrimAtramentOct 19, 2020 1:03 AM

Oct 19, 2020 1:20 AM

Apr 2015
This show is proof that we are all different and see things from a different angle. I don't know if this was intentional, but good job.
Oct 19, 2020 3:00 AM

Aug 2018
i understand why elaina chooses to avoid danger but i wouldn't say that it makes for a good story, i gained nothing out of the first part of the episode. the second part left me hollow, really wasn't expecting that jump to a much darker storyline but it was certainly interesting. i do want to see what happens to the slave girl in the future but i know that it's for the best that i don't.

Oct 19, 2020 3:31 AM

Dec 2014
meh episode
still going to watch this if this getting better
Watch aria the animation and it's sequel.
Oct 19, 2020 4:17 AM

Mar 2012
To people who keep asking why did she not do anything to help or why cant she fix things or get inolved? let me ask you this, have you ever gotten involved in others and the whole worlds affairs?

Elaine is a traveller, she has no obligation or necessity to do anything and even she did what than? can u be certain it would be better in the long run? can she spare herself to help others and follow trough?

These types of things happen all the time both in fiction and reality, its easy to think you can be a hero or you have powers u must use them to help but most people only go about there own lives first and dont concern themselves with their others affairs and even good intentions that you might think might help might actually lead to more trouble later.

Its stupid to think this is some fairy tail and everything can be fixed with the flip of a wand and not take into account all actions that lead too and follow after.
Oct 19, 2020 4:27 AM

Jul 2014
MrAwesome2018 said:
Nino came out of the fat bastard's room still getting dressed...

... Well.. its like it wasnt fcked up already, this tiny detail just now made things more sad, that aside I did notice fat dude was ogling Elaina from thighs to hair, slowly too.

I love how this ep is so controversial, Ima put my 2cents in too.
What Im sure of is Elaina isnt a good person at all, anyone that would think she did the "right" thing is fcked up in the head, you dont just ignore that and think of yourself as a human being, Elaina isnt a kid anymore, she's 18, she noticed there was something off about Nino before leaving but still went "aye onwards to my next destination"
I mean come on, they obviously know whats right and whats wrong, its why Nino got pissy and pointed the wand at the fat dude when he was going ham on Nino.
I probably wouldnt have been this pissed if she was just a normal human, but she has the power to give even a slight push, I know its hard to help someone that most likely doesnt want to be saved, but there are other ways, as the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility, its not about being a hero, but about having a conscience.

That aside I still did like the ep, albeit it did leave a sour taste in a series I thought was gonna be like this fun travel with some time to time drama, but I did not expect this dark shit to jump on me.
Anyways I will keep watching cause its C2C doing the adaptation, I dont really mind dark themes and highly questionable characters, I do have Goku as my favorite character, and that asshole is one of the most controversial SoB in shounen genre and I did stan Echidna in Re:Zero.

I dont mind asshole or evil characters, I think people just got turned off cause the series showed Elaina as an adorable witch, we got bamboozled by the cute art, mainly her cute design, these fckin witches yall.
Oct 19, 2020 5:15 AM

Apr 2015
I appreciate how this tried to portray personality in a nuanced way.

The dad is basically a cliched plot device character who is meant to be one so isn't really notable. However Emile is more important and interesting- he is shown to be a kinda neutral character that does show superficial good meanings, but is clearly naive- and also extremely self-centered. The show doesn't tell us explicitly about that last quality but we can imply from his actions and lines how all his supposed good meanings stem from his ego at the end- and finally result in tragedy(presumably).

This plus the shadow shot proves they actually put thought into the script. Now this is clearly not super high level but is still better writing than what most anime can claim to have

People compaining about how Elaina didn't do more are probably missing the point- this story is meant to show how a dysfunctional character fails to be a hero, Elaina is just a tool to show the other characters and it wouldn't be as impactful if Elaina changes their fate outright.
LanzOct 19, 2020 5:22 AM
Oct 19, 2020 5:45 AM

Aug 2017
I just love this kind of dark, hinted stories that leave the ending on edge on purpouse.
There are lots of anime that show either good or bad endings to stories like those we saw in this episode, but not many leave you with this sort of gloom.
Oct 19, 2020 5:46 AM
May 2019
I’ve seen some comments saying that Elaina could have saved the people in the flower story with her time magic, and here is what I think:

In the previous instances that Elaina used her time magic, she only had to turn back time on her target for about a minute. In the flower story she would have to have turned back time by many hours, and even if her time powers were unlimited, she would still have to keep the humans from breathing in the flower poison while they’re in the middle of a huge field of flowers. In this case I don’t think Elaina had any way of saving anyone.

I also want to mention that saving the slave girl is not realistic given the consequences that could arise.
Where would the slave go if Elaina freed her? With Elaina? Definitely not.
What if she had attacked the chief? Would the village chase her out? Would the village turn their anger on the slave? Again, she can’t realistically go with Elaina.
The ending implied that there was a chance that the slave would commit suicide. Should Elaina have stayed to prevent it? Perhaps that can be argued, but I don’t think it would be realistic for her to try to prevent the slave’s potential suicide. The damage had been done, and although some people might be generous enough to stick by a stranger to prevent their suicide, most people are not like that.

Mod Note: Merged consecutive posts
dipItFooOct 29, 2020 7:30 PM
Oct 19, 2020 6:12 AM
Oct 2019
-ShadowClaw- said:
To people who keep asking why did she not do anything to help or why cant she fix things or get inolved? let me ask you this, have you ever gotten involved in others and the whole worlds affairs?

Elaine is a traveller, she has no obligation or necessity to do anything and even she did what than? can u be certain it would be better in the long run? can she spare herself to help others and follow trough?

These types of things happen all the time both in fiction and reality, its easy to think you can be a hero or you have powers u must use them to help but most people only go about there own lives first and dont concern themselves with their others affairs and even good intentions that you might think might help might actually lead to more trouble later.

Its stupid to think this is some fairy tail and everything can be fixed with the flip of a wand and not take into account all actions that lead too and follow after.

They did not manage about Elaina's decision, but about her concern. First, why didn't she burn the flower land full of poisoning? Why doesn't she think like that? In the end whether she left them to save herself, she killed a lot of innocents.

And second, we know that she is a wanderer where she doesn't have the ambition to be a hero but in this episode show how narcissistic is Elaina. i know that this is always happened in the real life like save her life is the best choice but doesnt mean she need to be narcissistic where she enjoyed other people scream and suffering.
Oct 19, 2020 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
MrAwesome2018 said:

dang that's why she looks a bit jumpy after seeing Elaina outside, also he gets suggestive about how he bought her precisely for her looks
Oct 19, 2020 8:02 AM

Mar 2019
well... what i'm going to say now it's what most of the people here talked...
yeah, this was the worst episode until now
it's valid to think that the main protagonist was unable to kill that old bastard and she was unable to save the boy being eaten by plants but it's not valid that she didn't think of other possibilities to help others in those situations like.. she could put fire on that dangerous flower field preventing the death of so many people and she could save Nina for being depressed and kill herself.
why she didn't do that? she's not a powerful witch? its because of her mom's promise? i don't think the promise of "run away from danger" is a excuse to leave people die and suffer
i hope there's no more episodes like this one, it's just... uncomfortable and nonsense
Know your place, fool. - Ryomen Sukuna
Oct 19, 2020 8:55 AM

Mar 2018
People are saying that things aren't always black and white and i agree, however this doesn't mean that the anime did a good job showing that. Let me explain why i think this way.

First, the mc does not think of even helping out. We also don't even get to see the inner workings of her mind. She doesn't even try helping out in some way or other and later learning the consequences for herself. This also allows for some nice character development and a sense of catharsis to the stories presented in this episode.
Since the anime doesn't do this, it makes the mc simply an observer which is not very interesting to watch and diminishes the need of the mc in the stories in the first place. Do something mc!

The first story shows that the mc is irresponsible. She doesn't take any responsibility for the problem she was indirectly responsible for, neither does she feel any remorse for her actions. And ofcourse she doesn't even try to fix any of the shit and runs away from the problem.

Another problem with the first story is that the people of the town didn't seem to take any action against the flower field. Maybe they could've hired witches, mages, etc to get rid of it? Maybe ask them to build a wall around it or something? Maybe tell us that it's impossible to get rid of it? I dunno, just wanted the anime to explore that. Clearly not fleshed out at all.

In the second story, the first problem I noticed is why the hell did the bowl cut even call out to the mc? Plot contrivance I say. Second, is that the mc conveniently forgets about the ending of just the right book in just the right situation. Then she conveniently remembers again at the end. Plot convenience I say. Also, a poor attempt at delivering the message.

People also say that Kino also doesn't interfere in her journeys. But the thing is that her character isn't powerful like the mc here. Why does she even has to be a witch, basically the most powerful of the mages and people in general, when we don't see her utilizing it to her full extent? If the anime just wanted her to travel and not interfere/help even if she wanted to but couldn't because she isn't powerful enough to do so (talking of first story), then make her a basic bit- mage. Seems quite wasteful to me.

The first two episodes show that she is willing to help other people. The mc's mom said her to not think yourself as special but as we saw in the first story, clearly not the case. She barges right into the entrance even when asked to stop and acts arrogantly when rightfully called a girl. Seems like a witch hunt is in need.

Maybe flesh out properly the dark stories properly? Give them maybe a whole episode each? Maybe delve into the psyche of the mc for a satisfactory outcome? Maybe cut down on the blatant plot contrivances and conveniences?

The way things stand now, the mc is an insufferable, narcissistic, arrogant and irresponsible b!tch.

Tldr; episode is 3/5.
Oct 19, 2020 9:04 AM

Aug 2018
miscshade said:
Elaina bringing the flowers to the village was the reason everyone started turning into flower zombies. She thought she would be making someone happy by bringing them flowers, but instead it backfired. That's a direct parallel to the second story where the bowl-cut boy brings the slave girl happy memories thinking he would make her day. Elaina doesn't act this time because she's afraid of the consequences, and this is implied by the scene where she points her wand at the old guy.

The problem is that's not strictly emphasized. She bought flowers that were disposed of quickly. The red haired guard looked for his sister of his own accord.

-Stray said:
What Im sure of is Elaina isnt a good person at all, anyone that would think she did the "right" thing is fcked up in the head, you dont just ignore that and think of yourself as a human being, Elaina isnt a kid anymore, she's 18, she noticed there was something off about Nino before leaving but still went "aye onwards to my next destination"

The dispute is mainly not that she didn't want to, but that she can't. The whole point of the story was to emphasize that acts of kindness can backfire.

YESTORAKS said:
They did not manage about Elaina's decision, but about her concern. First, why didn't she burn the flower land full of poisoning? Why doesn't she think like that? In the end whether she left them to save herself, she killed a lot of innocents.

And second, we know that she is a wanderer where she doesn't have the ambition to be a hero but in this episode show how narcissistic is Elaina. i know that this is always happened in the real life like save her life is the best choice but doesnt mean she need to be narcissistic where she enjoyed other people scream and suffering.

Because she may have realized, from a risk perspective, that hastily burning the field might do more harm than good which is the whole moral of the story. Or that she can't. Who did she kill? She pointed her wand at the village chief after she witnessed Nino getting abused. She also said at the end "I don't want to know" with respect to Nino's future, so she definitely didn't enjoy people's scream and suffering.

Kitsunyaa said:
well... what i'm going to say now it's what most of the people here talked...
yeah, this was the worst episode until now
it's valid to think that the main protagonist was unable to kill that old bastard and she was unable to save the boy being eaten by plants but it's not valid that she didn't think of other possibilities to help others in those situations like.. she could put fire on that dangerous flower field preventing the death of so many people and she could save Nina for being depressed and kill herself.
why she didn't do that? she's not a powerful witch? its because of her mom's promise? i don't think the promise of "run away from danger" is a excuse to leave people die and suffer
i hope there's no more episodes like this one, it's just... uncomfortable and nonsense

There are a variety of reasons for why she didn't burn the field, including but not limited to:
1. She is incapable of doing so.
2. Doing so may result in something even more problematic - the moral of the whole episode (and that she may have thought of the fact that her bringing the flowers turned out to not be a good deed).
3. She didn't want to.

Many possible reasons here.

When you claim that she could save Nino from killing herself - isn't that just arguing against the people who say she likely can't do anything in that situation? Moreover it isn't clear, to Elaina, what happened to Nino afterwards. One reaching a conclusion about a real life outcome after reading something similar in a tale would be extremely illogical.
Oct 19, 2020 9:11 AM
Jun 2019
That dark shit right there
Oct 19, 2020 9:28 AM

Mar 2018
miscshade said:
I also want to mention that saving the slave girl is not realistic given the consequences that could arise.
Where would the slave go if Elaina freed her? With Elaina? Definitely not.
What if she had attacked the chief? Would the village chase her out? Would the village turn their anger on the slave? Again, she can’t realistically go with Elaina.
The ending implied that there was a chance that the slave would commit suicide. Should Elaina have stayed to prevent it? Perhaps that can be argued, but I don’t think it would be realistic for her to try to prevent the slave’s potential suicide. The damage had been done, and although some people might be generous enough to stick by a stranger to prevent their suicide, most people are not like that.
-Stray said:
MrAwesome2018 said:

... Well.. its like it wasnt fcked up already, this tiny detail just now made things more sad, that aside I did notice fat dude was ogling Elaina from thighs to hair, slowly too.

I love how this ep is so controversial, Ima put my 2cents in too.
I mean come on, they obviously know whats right and whats wrong, its why Nino got pissy and pointed the wand at the fat dude when he was going ham on Nino.
I probably wouldnt have been this pissed if she was just a normal human, but she has the power to give even a slight push, I know its hard to help someone that most likely doesnt want to be saved, but there are other ways, as the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility, its not about being a hero, but about having a conscience.

That aside I still did like the ep, albeit it did leave a sour taste in a series I thought was gonna be like this fun travel with some time to time drama, but I did not expect this dark shit to jump on me.
Anyways I will keep watching cause its C2C doing the adaptation, I dont really mind dark themes and highly questionable characters, I do have Goku as my favorite character, and that asshole is one of the most controversial SoB in shounen genre and I did stan Echidna in Re:Zero.

I dont mind asshole or evil characters, I think people just got turned off cause the series showed Elaina as an adorable witch, we got bamboozled by the cute art, mainly her cute design, these fckin witches yall.

I think the problem is that we don't get to see what Elaina is thinking. Why does she do the things she does? It also feels wrong when in the previous episodes she was willing to help that apprentice witch. She was usually quick to listen and help. But, in this episode in the first story she just runs away like a coward for a problem she was at least partly responsible for and in the second one she is just a coward. I mean yeah she doesn't want to interfere but take responsibility for the shit you do. This contrast leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Mod Note: Fixed broken quote
dipItFooOct 29, 2020 7:32 PM
Oct 19, 2020 9:31 AM

Aug 2018
Alpha_Druid said:
People are saying that things aren't always black and white and i agree, however this doesn't mean that the anime did a good job showing that. Let me explain why i think this way.

First, the mc does not think of even helping out. We also don't even get to see the inner workings of her mind. She doesn't even try helping out in some way or other and later learning the consequences for herself. This also allows for some nice character development and a sense of catharsis to the stories presented in this episode.
Since the anime doesn't do this, it makes the mc simply an observer which is not very interesting to watch and diminishes the need of the mc in the stories in the first place. Do something mc!

The first story shows that the mc is irresponsible. She doesn't take any responsibility for the problem she was indirectly responsible for, neither does she feel any remorse for her actions. And ofcourse she doesn't even try to fix any of the shit and runs away from the problem.

Another problem with the first story is that the people of the town didn't seem to take any action against the flower field. Maybe they could've hired witches, mages, etc to get rid of it? Maybe ask them to build a wall around it or something? Maybe tell us that it's impossible to get rid of it? I dunno, just wanted the anime to explore that. Clearly not fleshed out at all.

In the second story, the first problem I noticed is why the hell did the bowl cut even call out to the mc? Plot contrivance I say. Second, is that the mc conveniently forgets about the ending of just the right book in just the right situation. Then she conveniently remembers again at the end. Plot convenience I say. Also, a poor attempt at delivering the message.

People also say that Kino also doesn't interfere in her journeys. But the thing is that her character isn't powerful like the mc here. Why does she even has to be a witch, basically the most powerful of the mages and people in general, when we don't see her utilizing it to her full extent? If the anime just wanted her to travel and not interfere/help even if she wanted to but couldn't because she isn't powerful enough to do so (talking of first story), then make her a basic bit- mage. Seems quite wasteful to me.

The first two episodes show that she is willing to help other people. The mc's mom said her to not think yourself as special but as we saw in the first story, clearly not the case. She barges right into the entrance even when asked to stop and acts arrogantly when rightfully called a girl. Seems like a witch hunt is in need.

Maybe flesh out properly the dark stories properly? Give them maybe a whole episode each? Maybe delve into the psyche of the mc for a satisfactory outcome? Maybe cut down on the blatant plot contrivances and conveniences?

The way things stand now, the mc is an insufferable, narcissistic, arrogant and irresponsible b!tch.

Tldr; episode is 3/5.

Much of the dispute isn't that she simply didn't want to help the characters, but that she can't or that doing so may be more problematic in the long run, the latter being the moral of the story. The conclusion that she didn't try is one that is unsupported - she may not be capable of doing so.

You could claim that she's irresponsible for not helping the red haired guard, but why torture him further given that he found his sister? The whole moral the author tried to convey was that doing something good may backfire.

I agree that there should have been a clearer resolution to the flower field - the first half felt too hasty.

You claimed some of the scenes in the second half are done for plot convenience but haven't explained in any way why that's bad. Her remembering at the end was to emphasize the moral. Why is this done poorly?
Oct 19, 2020 9:35 AM

Mar 2018
hazarddex said:
dang_ said:

I guess Elaina really follow her mother advices, huh?

i mean not really he move also told her that she wasn't any more special they anyone else and not to act special.

yet from episode 1 onward she acts narcissistic.

see my older comment

Elinia going around saying: "I am the most beautiful person in the world."

niknasr said:

it's more of witches are shown in this series to be basically Omnipotent besides bringing back the dead.

when shes fighting flan we see them basically having whats basically a DBZ fight minus punching in the middle of a hill top.

tossing boulders creating wind that can cut you to pieces burning the land with fire etc.

not to mention time magic in episode 2 (No seriously when you can alter time and space reality is basically your plaything before you.)
for example.

honestly not going to lie if this series had her basically being a Gaunter O’Dimm type character she would be miles more interesting.

This is why Kino from Kino no Tabi is better. She isn't overpowered. Even if she wanted to help she can't. I always took it that Kino doesn't help in certain situations because she could get killed and not because she didn't want to. But our mc here can but chooses not to. Doesn't seem very likable.

Opticflash said:
Alpha_Druid said:

Tldr; episode is 3/5.

Much of the dispute isn't that she simply didn't want to help the characters, but that she can't or that doing so may be more problematic in the long run, the latter being the moral of the story. The conclusion that she didn't try is one that is unsupported - she may not be capable of doing so.

You could claim that she's irresponsible for not helping the red haired guard, but why torture him further given that he found his sister? The whole moral the author tried to convey was that doing something good may backfire.

I agree that there should have been a clearer resolution to the flower field - the first half felt too hasty.

You claimed some of the scenes in the second half are done for plot convenience but haven't explained in any way why that's bad. Her remembering at the end was to emphasize the moral. Why is this done poorly?

Because plot convenience takes you out of the story and is generally bad writing. There should be a natural flow to the events. Poor attempt at delivering the message is because of the blatant plot convenience.

fluroboy said:
They deleted my posts for some reason so I guess I'll just say my thoughts without quoting someone else.

I thought this episode in particular really highlighted everything I've disliked about this anime so far:
a) the protagonist is, for lack of a better word, a complete mary sue, and a very unlikeable one at that. She is extremely powerful, but rarely uses her power to help those truly in need. It would be one thing if she had some inner turmoil about the two cases in the episode, but she is always portrayed as right. Leaving a slave to die? Nah she's fine.

b) It's a typical cute but dark anime. I'm genuinely sick of seeing anime expect me to care about their plot when its just a generic edgy plotline with a cutesy main character. "Dark" anime are good because they bring up interesting questions. What is interesting or thought provoking about seeing a slave getting abused? Is it bad? Of course. Can she help? Maybe. Those answers are set in stone, NOBODY thinks otherwise

It's not all bad so far though. I'm really digging the animation and aesthetic. I still have my fingers crossed that maybe I'm just being hypercritical, but we shall see.

Agree with you completely, especially with the first point. She was shown helping that apprentice witch in previous episode. Now she is shown that she mostly doesn't care what happens, souring my experience.

Bear_from_cave said:
I'm dropping this. This seemed at first like sweeter version of Kino's Journey, the 2nd episode was somewhat disappointing but passable, and now it turned into as dark as some Kino's episodes except Elaine is shit compared to Kino. Kino had fraction of power or respect Elaine has, and she rarely was in position to help anyone - usually she was too late and only witnessed the ending, or had whole army to fight if she wanted to intervene, or issue was with the given city's people whole ideology, or the issue was so grey there wasn't a side she could pick
She was also not above helping others if she could - she didn't sought it, but she didn't refuse it either. The one time she met slavers she ended up killing them (cause they attacked her), and their victims were already dead - there was no "I could easily help but I will leave and chuckle to myself about her suicide". She was clearly visibly disturbed at the times she encountered a horrible situation and was powerless to help.
I'm writing all this about Kino because this show tries to be similar but completely fails me.

This. Completely agree.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Koito91Oct 19, 2020 12:45 PM
Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.