Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 16, 2020 8:22 AM

Jun 2019
The episode was colorful at first but got dark suddenly.
Elaina is a wandering traveler so she wouldn't barge into someone else's life what I like.
Poor Nino and that bastard old guy.
Oct 16, 2020 8:29 AM
Feb 2020
dadnaya said:
Pretty disappointing episode.

This time we had two stories in one ep, which really made each very short in time and story.

The first one ended in a cliffhanger for some reason. And I'm not sure why the hell Elaina just got the hell out of there when she saw the guard.

Then we see the zombie people marching towards town and... that's it? What's next? What's gonna happen?

The second story as well, she saw the abuse Nino is receiving, and again just up and left like that.

Is this what we're going to get all season now? Incomplete stories?

I dont think you understand the point of the anime she is a traveler not a savior and the stories weren't incomplete your suppose to fill in the blanks your self. She's not a a normal mc protagonist who's there to save everyone there are just sone things that are out of your control. She's not a hero nor a saviour she's just a traveler
Xx_Tr1gGeR_xXOct 16, 2020 8:34 AM
Oct 16, 2020 8:34 AM
Jan 2018
It's very common for anime protagonist to be righteous and jump into action even if they are completely uninvolved, so it's strange to see such a passive reaction to tragic situations. However, it is refreshing to see. We might want the characters to do the right thing and get a happy ending, but that isn't always possible or realistic.

I don't think Elaina's behaviour was cruel in Nino's story. In the scene where she was pointing her wand at the fat guy it seemed like she wanted to intervene, but becoming a murderer obviously wouldn't benefit Elaina or solve the problem. Its not like Elaina had a place for Nino to go either. She encouraged bowl hair cut guy to try make her happy which is about all she could've done. Elaina not wanting to know what happened to her is not from a lack of concern imo, it could be more like sadness or guilt for not being able to help. Or maybe she didnt want to confront something emotionally difficult and would rather not think about it. You can speculate on it but even then her going back would probably not do any good.

As for the story with the zombie plant people, I think Elaina probably could've done something about that. Since she would be one of the few people unaffected by it. What exactly she could've done though, idk. She could burn the whole field but that would definitely be very macabre because there are still living people in amongst it, even if they are brainwashed. I cant see Elaina putting the brother out of his misery either, even if that would be the most ethical thing to do; Elaina is still a young girl. It was a pretty abrupt cliffhanger too, maybe leaving out the zombies heading towards the city would've been better.
Oct 16, 2020 8:37 AM
May 2016
Geeeez that was so depressing and just really makes me not like Elaina. "Who's the girl as pretty as the flowers with a heart of stone who is so arrogant she can watch human tragedy and not care even though she has the power to do something? It's me!" Ugh so she just became a witch to selfishly indulge herself? Well I guess witches are supposed to be cruel and evil.
Oct 16, 2020 8:41 AM
May 2016
Ranger_Reisoda said:
It's very common for anime protagonist to be righteous and jump into action even if they are completely uninvolved, so it's strange to see such a passive reaction to tragic situations. However, it is refreshing to see. We might want the characters to do the right thing and get a happy ending, but that isn't always possible or realistic.

I don't think Elaina's behaviour was cruel in Nino's story. In the scene where she was pointing her wand at the fat guy it seemed like she wanted to intervene, but becoming a murderer obviously wouldn't benefit Elaina or solve the problem. Its not like Elaina had a place for Nino to go either. She encouraged bowl hair cut guy to try make her happy which is about all she could've done. Elaina not wanting to know what happened to her is not from a lack of concern imo, it could be more like sadness or guilt for not being able to help. Or maybe she didnt want to confront something emotionally difficult and would rather not think about it. You can speculate on it but even then her going back would probably not do any good.

As for the story with the zombie plant people, I think Elaina probably could've done something about that. Since she would be one of the few people unaffected by it. What exactly she could've done though, idk. She could burn the whole field but that would definitely be very macabre because there are still living people in amongst it, even if they are brainwashed. I cant see Elaina putting the brother out of his misery either, even if that would be the most ethical thing to do; Elaina is still a young girl. It was a pretty abrupt cliffhanger too, maybe leaving out the zombies heading towards the city would've been better.

She could at least shrivel up his dick so he would stop raping her, maybe clue in bowl cut as to what's really going on and how he could really make her happy? There were tons of options besides just killing the guy.
Oct 16, 2020 8:42 AM

Feb 2016
XXXXXXXXXIII said:
Wait, this is basically just Kino no Tabi but with magic...? Then why is it so popula......
*Cute Sadistic MC*
Oh..... Okay then.
srsly dont get where people are pulling sadistic from but sure seeing it get thrown around lightly lol... If you have to cope with an MC that decides to do something as "being a sadist" i dont even know man, I think your trying to make up some random shit to cope with what you expected.
Oct 16, 2020 8:47 AM

Jul 2009
Was caught out of guard.
Well shit happen everywhere but it is still catchy
bruh
Oct 16, 2020 8:48 AM

Dec 2015
Rainbowsaur said:
XXXXXXXXXIII said:
Wait, this is basically just Kino no Tabi but with magic...? Then why is it so popula......
*Cute Sadistic MC*
Oh..... Okay then.
srsly dont get where people are pulling sadistic from but sure seeing it get thrown around lightly lol... If you have to cope with an MC that decides to do something as "being a sadist" i dont even know man, I think your trying to make up some random shit to cope with what you expected.

I think it's more of a haraguro, which due to the lack of a better word, gets categorized under sadism.
Oct 16, 2020 8:50 AM
Jul 2019
It's not Elaina's inaction that bothered me so much as how incomplete and pointless these two stories felt. I don't need everything to be cute and happy, but finish what you start and act with purpose, don't just set some stuff up only to wander off before the denouement with a "I wonder what happened. *shrug* Oh well."
Oct 16, 2020 9:00 AM
Jul 2020
it got me thinking Elaina has some Oreki vibe like “ If I don't need to help someone, I won't. If I need to help someone, I'll make it quick.
Oct 16, 2020 9:03 AM

Jul 2020
That went quite dark at the end and I don't dislike it.
Wonder if we will every find out what happened to Nino, for now we can only assume.
I do hope for at least 1 continuation with 2 open endings

Also, I like it when Elaine doesn't meddle too much with other people business, for the better.
Oct 16, 2020 9:04 AM

Feb 2014
Who would win: A genius witch or a plant that pretends to be a cute girl?

How Elaina was able to be tricked like that is beyond me.
Oct 16, 2020 9:07 AM

Jan 2019
This episode... was hella dark.
It took me 30 mins just to find a forum avatar lmao.
Oct 16, 2020 9:12 AM
Oct 2020
ShiroHachi said:
What will happen to Nino after that?
It's likely the same as what happened to the wife in that story, yeah, most likely she will kill herself
Skipped scene, Elaina's monologue in the LN :

What chapter is this in LN?
Oct 16, 2020 9:12 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah, the other side of Elaina's travel story. Its not a light hearted story one, right now. But, its kinda sad and broken my heart with a two separated routes of them, somehow, that led into the same way: The ironic behind the happiness. Its surely gave a chilling moments, in a short glance. After then, you realized quickly that its not certainly right. There were a hidden darkness beyond it. So, yeah, the end must be easy to predict. Elaina, just passed them by like that was surprisingly great. Its understandable. She was not the kind of witch that wanted to help them all in a long way until its resolved. She was a traveller afterall. Except the previous event, that was kind of special for her. Because, yeah, its special, for the reason of why she needed to stay, until its people. So, yeah, this was the true journey she must realized. The true face of the worlds that her story became real in fast. A hit and run method, and told the story within it, just surely a unique attempt to me. Once again, Majo no Tabitabi, never miss a chance to amazed me.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 16, 2020 9:16 AM

May 2020
Not everything in life is always happy and this episode shows this, Elaina isn't a hero, she is just a traveler. That's why she didn't do something in any of both stories, I don't get why people think she is obliged to do something.

Not because you are doing something for someone else means that is correct, such a wonderful advice.
115_EIKOOct 16, 2020 9:20 AM
Oct 16, 2020 9:20 AM
Dec 2015
I feel a Kino no Tabi vibe from this episode with its multiple arc per episode thing. However, it is a lot less thought provoking than Kino no Tabi. The series is going in a good direction, as this episode, at least the latter part, is a lot stronger than the previous episodes. If the episode does not get into our faces about the "moral of the story", and I believe it will become a much better series. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 16, 2020 9:21 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
MrAwesome2018 said:
Nino came out of the fat bastard's room still getting dressed...

If no one told me this I wouldn't be thinking much about what happened, but now that someone pointed it out, my mind is in shambles. I'm basically forcing myself to think that Nino was just adjusting her poorly-tied clothes, but because she tried to fix it up more after Elaina saw her... I could just cringe in mixed feelings of anger, disappointment, and confusion.
Oct 16, 2020 9:22 AM
Dec 2017
Thanks i'm dropped this, the flower part isn't a big problem for me because the brother was "happy" at the end. But Nino? what's happened to her? she die? or be a ugly bastard slave...ehmm wife?
Sorry I'm not used to it. I already stopped watching this "kind" of story because i already experienced it in my life. At first i thought this anime will be a wholesome one without dark scene, but i was wrong.

This is a very good anime but not for me

Pardon about my bad english
Oct 16, 2020 9:22 AM

Nov 2014
This episode was unexpectedly dark compared to what we've seen so far. I kinda liked that tone.
And what I like even more is Elaina's character. Her attitude is a breath of fresh air after all self proclaimed heroes. She is a realist with a smug aura, and I love it.

As for Elaina not doing anything about Nino... what was she supposed to do? For all we know, slavery might be perfectly legal there. We also don't know anything about her power compared to the rest of the world. Realistically thinking, she'd end up attacking innocent citizen (after being invited to his home for dinner!) then quickly get caught and punished for that. And she never even inspired to be hero. Being aware of her own limitations doesn't mean she isn't good person.
JustAnotherShiroOct 16, 2020 9:35 AM
Oct 16, 2020 9:23 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
MrAwesome2018 said:

Oh my, thank you very much with your damn words. Now, i realized that the scene shall be as deep as the ocean. I am completely missed that shit xD.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 16, 2020 9:25 AM

Jul 2014
So you have a super dangerous flower field by the town and when someone goes missing you don't even bother to check it? Nor do you burn it down? What the hell was that?

Then when someone tells you someone is in trouble you don't even mention it or help, but go back the next day to loot the body?

Seriously WTF was with that. That has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever watched.
Oct 16, 2020 9:28 AM
Apr 2020
I see that today's episode was something very reflective and obscure, which makes you think that not everything in this world is just kind.

I liked the episode
Oct 16, 2020 9:28 AM
Oct 2015
Christine-chan said:
ShiroHachi said:
What will happen to Nino after that?
It's likely the same as what happened to the wife in that story, yeah, most likely she will kill herself
Skipped scene, Elaina's monologue in the LN :

What chapter is this in LN?

Volume 1 chapter 2(part A) and Chapter 6(part B)
Oct 16, 2020 9:29 AM

Feb 2019
Elaina, I liked you for 2 episodes, but now I hate you :,c
Oct 16, 2020 9:30 AM

Nov 2013
Rather than complaining about Elaina's action, I am more concerned on the directing of the episode. They crammed and rushed two plots in one episode. The manga did the flower story better even if it still left a bad taste.
Oct 16, 2020 9:32 AM
Dec 2017
Get the message boys. "Just because you are doing something for someone else doesn't make it right". Even she wants to do something and she can't grasp what is right or wrong. Hence she didn't do anything
"Life isn't always bright as daylight, the real personality of every person is when the night comes and the moonlight that shines through the dark hours."

Oct 16, 2020 9:37 AM
Oct 2012
3 eps and i completely feel like watching next season of kino no tabi
Oct 16, 2020 9:44 AM

Sep 2018
Damn these stories were really cruel... I was expecting this to be a lighthearted show, but I guess we're in for a more colorful scale of emotions.
Oct 16, 2020 9:56 AM

May 2015
I suspected it could go dark after the time-skip in the first episode to make Elania 18. Well, it was quite interesting, although somewhat unfinished. But if the story with Nino feels bittersweet and I wouldn't want to know the ending either, the story with flowers is just... a complete mystery. Like, what was that even for.
Oct 16, 2020 10:13 AM

Jan 2019
MrAwesome2018 said:

woah i didnt notice that at all. pretty dumb on my part lol
Oct 16, 2020 10:15 AM

Dec 2017
Ok, I kinda get why she could not do anything in the second story: if slavery is legal in this country, the NTR-guy (he cucked his own son if I got it right) did nothing illegal. But in the first one - why didn't she burn this flower field? Yeah, it looks pretty, but it is dangerous and noone would be offended if it burned.
Oct 16, 2020 10:16 AM
Jan 2020
so what was the thing at the end of The Girl as Pretty as a Flower?... was it like a teaser or some shit? while we are on it why did this episode have two different stories and the last two episodes only had one?
Feb 2020
dadnaya said:

This time we had two stories in one ep, which really made each very short in time and story.

The first one ended in a cliffhanger for some reason. And I'm not sure why the hell Elaina just got the hell out of there when she saw the guard.

Then we see the zombie people marching towards town and... that's it? What's next? What's gonna happen?

The second story as well, she saw the abuse Nino is receiving, and again just up and left like that.

To answer your last question, MOSTLY yes, which I can understand how some people are put off by it. I am indifferent to this. For what it's worth, the LN series has up to 16 volumes to date and is selling like hot cakes in Japan. It placed top 6th on Kono Light Novel Ga Sugoi for two years consecutively. Either the LN changed its narrative formula along the way (hinted in volume 2's author afterword, but I can't be sure if he was faithful to his words) or them Japanese are just into these equivocal ending kind of narrative.

Apr 2020
That was...dark. I guess episodes like this are bound to happen given how Elaina thinks logically and realistically. Also, the show is about Elaina's journey being a coming of age for her as she learns what the world is like.

If the flower field is poisonous, why not send mages with fire magic and destroy it? That would have prevented the horde of "undead" from marching on the city.
Oct 16, 2020 10:18 AM
Jun 2017
"Just because you are doing something for someone doesnt make it right... Kindness and Beauty can sometimes become cruel"- Elaina, 2020

I just love the 2 stories featured on this one especially the 2nd part. I agree with what the story has said on this one.
Oct 16, 2020 10:22 AM
Feb 2020
Catatonic_WAW said:
so what was the thing at the end of The Girl as Pretty as a Flower?... was it like a teaser or some shit? while we are on it why did this episode have two different stories and the last two episodes only had one?

It's going to be something you'll have to get used to. Heck you might even see 3 stories in 1 episodes down the line.
Oct 16, 2020 10:23 AM

Mar 2018
I'm not sure what to think about this show after this episode. Elaina is so detached and don't seem to care at all and I don't like it.
Oct 16, 2020 10:36 AM
Apr 2017
First story shouldn't have included the zombie part and more of Elaina's thoughts. Second story was done well, if only that bowl cut guy was written better though (he was super dumb).

I'm really liking Elaina, she is very human and not some dumb hero of justice. Guys, if you want to live long and peacefully don't get involved ed with other troubled lives, that is extremely foolish, even if you have the power. I can't believe I'm seeing so many people hating on Elaina, wanting her to do something like ruining a CHIEF'S life or burning a field. Burning down a field would ruin nature, what right do we humans have to just go destroy nature even if it's dangerous. "The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is."
Oct 16, 2020 10:37 AM

Mar 2020
This Violet Evergarden witch style with a different type of story and plot but the journey topic is implemented in both shows.

Personally this episode wasn't as great as last episode however not to say that it was horrible. The bottle of happiness was a great touch to this episode it gave off a caring and heartwarming vibe. I wish all fat characters would just go away, Nino's innocent..........don't hurt her...........please.

Good episode :)
Oct 16, 2020 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
Not everything in life is always happy and this episode shows this, Elaina isn't a hero, she is just a traveler. That's why she didn't do something in any of both stories, I don't get why people think she is obliged to do something.

Not because you are doing something for someone else means that is correct, such a wonderful advice.

Bullshit it was his fault that the guard was turned into compost for flowers. She remain indifferent to the slave trade, when she was the sister of the woman she previously met

I have a better phrase for you "With great power there must also come great responsibility" Power is useless if it is not to help others.
Oct 16, 2020 10:49 AM
Feb 2020
So... This may be a good or bad thing moving forward. In the LN, that village chief isn't portrayed as this lecherous pedophile. The shots showing Nino leaving the bedroom still getting dressed and the village chief exuding creepy vibes are anime exclusive. in the LN, he's portrayed as just a taciturn cantankerous curmudgeon.

The arguably good news is that, the stories can be darker than it already is in the LN.

The bad news is that, the parts where people are put off by in this episode will be exacerbated. I meant those "Oh no Nino's in trouble, Elaina quickly go help her!" moments.
kirbykatOct 16, 2020 10:52 AM
Oct 16, 2020 10:52 AM

Dec 2017
Hamtaro42 said:
Burning down a field would ruin nature, what right do we humans have to just go destroy nature even if it's dangerous."

Ruining nature by burning some agressive man-eating weed? Notice, there were no other plants on that field, cause this flower clearly does not alloy the "nature" you are so concerned about to grow anything there. So how "nature" will be harmed if this land gets reclaimed? Hell, even human existance conflicts with nature, cause world around us is pretty hostile, even without man-eating flowers. If MC was a weed herself - I would get it why she did noting. But she is a human, and she has no empathy for other humans cause "flowers are pretty"? That's straight up psycho, sorry.
Oct 16, 2020 10:52 AM

Aug 2016
Is it really that weird when Elaina doesn't help the people with the whole plant situation? In the previous episode she only helped that apprentice witch girl out because she lost her brooch and needed it to keep traveling around, I don't think she was ever someone to involve herself in other people's affairs like that.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 16, 2020 10:57 AM
Nov 2019
dadnaya said:

Yes this is going to be a lot like kinos journey in that aspect. Where we the viewer are seeing the world with her. Just like kino she can’t and won’t do much to save everything. It’s just not that kind of story. This is more of a look on humanity and the good and evil it is. She can’t go around fixing everyone’s problems and she isn’t the perfect person. That’s what makes it interesting is seeing the many themes and tragedies of the people in this world.

Dec 2017
-Ryu said:
Is it really that weird when Elaina doesn't help the people with the whole plant situation? In the previous episode she only helped that apprentice witch girl out because she lost her brooch and needed it to keep traveling around, I don't think she was ever someone to involve herself in other people's affairs like that.

Well, it is a question of required effords, time and danger. Elaina is immune to flowers, she is a genius witch with lots of firepower, so raining a bit of napalm to at least contain the field would require not that much of an efford. Also the guy who got eaten got there only because of the flowers she brought there, so she is the one who led him to his demise - and yet she shows no emotions and does nothing.
Feb 2020
-Ryu said:

Yes, Elaina is very self-serving. She helped Saya because she had to stay around the country to look for her brooch anyway.
Oct 16, 2020 10:58 AM
Oct 2020
i don't think this is whether about her helping people or not, but that elaine just adds a little bit salt after she leave.

helping people isn¨t the only solution, there exist other way.
Oct 16, 2020 11:02 AM
Apr 2017
slavemaster_1991 said:

But she is a human, and she has no empathy for other humans cause "flowers are pretty"? That's straight up psycho, sorry.

Wow that's like saying if you saw a tiger eat a human near a rural village you would kill it. Look don't bring human ego in this. You can't just end somethings life cause he ate one of your same species you should only care if that thing he ate was important to you. I don't see the government going out of there way to save some random village on some island filled with natives. That's honestly not just a waste of time but also extremely rare Us humans like to ignore the problems of the world or simply write it down.
Oct 16, 2020 11:06 AM

Nov 2016
Dat happiness flex was cruel af, ignorance can be bliss after all. And as others have already mentioned, the Kino vibes were strong in this episode, even tho, I think most Kino storys had definitely more subletely and finesse. Still my favorite episode so far, hope we get more of thatand some guro doujin featuring Nino

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.