Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 11, 2020 3:13 AM

Mar 2019
What animes would you say have a tendency to elicit strong opinions whether people love it or end up really hating it?

I'd say School Days is definitely one.

Based on the comments I'm seeing on KissAnime. Maybe Mirai Nikki? I'm really liking it so far but it seems a lot of other people are getting frustrated with it and other people are saying its their favorite anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2020 3:18 AM

Jan 2019
Probably Shinsekai Yori, I've only ever seen people calling it an absolute masterpiece or complete garbage, nothing inbetween.

pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy

wen day is dark alway rember happy day
Jan 11, 2020 3:19 AM

Jun 2019
I'd have to say K-ON!. Either you love watching moe/CGDCT, or it bores the fuck out of you.
Jan 11, 2020 3:20 AM

Nov 2011
From what I see today, Kimetsu no Yaiba.

Jan 11, 2020 3:21 AM

Jun 2019
Yes, I fall into the latter category if someone wanted to know.
Jan 11, 2020 3:22 AM

Jun 2019
K-on IS the most boring show i've seen thus far. I'm surprised i watched two episodes of that garbage
Jan 11, 2020 3:27 AM

Oct 2019
From what I've seen so far probably One Piece, you either got into it and love it or hate it because of the art style and the length.
Jan 11, 2020 3:42 AM
Oct 2019
I would say Monogatari series, for what i know there is a lot of people who just love(my case) and other people o just cant watch it. This because its a bit different from the "usual anime".
Jan 11, 2020 3:45 AM

Jun 2016
Elfen Lied is a big love/hate anime. Some love it for the gore, some hate it for the gore, some get blinded by the gore and think there's nothing beyond it, and some are able to find good reasoning behind just about all of the gore it has. Plus it went quite a ways away from the source material (which already was quite divisive).

Wolf Children seems to be lov/hate as well. I can't find many people who didn't either love all of it or like little of it (though I'm sure one could see why just by reading the synopsis).

Lately I've been noticing this with Gunbuster too, though I can't put my finger on why.

Also, seconding School Days. The argument was prolific enough back when it was airing that it almost became my introduction to anime.

Ryuk9428 said:
Based on the comments I'm seeing on KissAnime. Maybe Mirai Nikki? I'm really liking it so far but it seems a lot of other people are getting frustrated with it and other people are saying its their favorite anime.

The thing about Mirai Nikki is that you really have three camps: like it, hate it, or find it so laughably bad in its writing that you can't hate it. It helps that its production values are pretty good IIRC. Anyhow, those three don't leave much room for a "meh" response.

D8cbeidnd7dne said:
I'd have to say K-ON!. Either you love watching moe/CGDCT, or it bores the fuck out of you.

As someone who largely found himself in the middle of those two, let me assure you that it is indeed quite lonely over here.
Jan 11, 2020 3:51 AM

May 2018
I think that any cute girls doing cute things anime. Some people hate it and just dont understand it while others (like me lol) really like it and enjoy watching it.

Maybe yaoi/yuri? That definitely a genre you either hate or love, no in-between.

But talking about a specific series, I remember there being really mixed opinions on "The Promised Neverland" some declaring it as amazing and a masterpiece while others trashed it and said it was shit.
Either ways.... its getting a season two so.... :3
Jan 11, 2020 4:23 AM

Mar 2015
Happy Sugar Life comes to mind. I've seen lots of people on both ends of the spectrum. NGE is pretty polarizing as well.
Jan 11, 2020 6:03 AM

Jul 2019
D8cbeidnd7dne said:
K-on IS the most boring show i've seen thus far. I'm surprised i watched two episodes of that garbage

Completely agree on that. I would really like to meet a K-on fan (I see a lot of them here on MAL) who would tell me why they like this show, just one thing that makes this show their favourite.
Jan 11, 2020 6:55 AM
Jul 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion and Sword Art Online. Also Fate depending on the entry.
Jan 11, 2020 7:21 AM

Jun 2012
Every flashy anime fits the bill
l. Especially those who reach the high rankings statistically. With the exception of School Days and SAO( well this one is an unsolvable case due to tons of bandwagon in the early days).
Jan 11, 2020 7:23 AM
Jul 2018
NamikazeHime said:
D8cbeidnd7dne said:

Completely agree on that. I would really like to meet a K-on fan (I see a lot of them here on MAL) who would tell me why they like this show, just one thing that makes this show their favourite.

I kinda like K-on now, because it's sweet, but it's not "love or hate it" to me. It's not different to other CGDCTs I have seen. I mean yeah the character interactions make it enjoyable and I enjoy, when an anime in high school has topics like "what after school..." etc, so far I have seen from season 2. Some stuff reminds me of my own school time and school friends in some different ways.
But I don't see how it is SO much different from other anime like this, most anime I like / love, live from a lot of good character interaction as an important part of the reason why I personally like / love them.
It's quite enjoyable and they are all likeable tho.

Seijatachiiii said:
Maybe yaoi/yuri? That definitely a genre you either hate or love, no in-between.

Most people I met, who love bl / gl / yaoi / yuri, hate the genre at the same time tho.
Ofc some teenage girls or guys, who are into everything yuri, might like almost everything they get, but most others experienced how much of the genre is quite shitty with all of the fetishizing and romantizing of abuse and flat stereotypes.
removed-userJan 11, 2020 7:33 AM
Jan 11, 2020 7:23 AM

Aug 2019
D8cbeidnd7dne said:

How can one be bored of k on? This is a thing I could never understand
Jan 11, 2020 7:27 AM

Jun 2016
Opinions on evangelion can be put in two different categories:
>This is the greatest thing that has happened to the mecha genre and anime in general
>Anno is a hack
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 11, 2020 7:32 AM

Nov 2019
oh, bunny girl senpai's feedback is really mixed from what iv'e seen (mentioned this one because everything else was said)
misato > asuka > rei
Jan 11, 2020 7:38 AM

Mar 2018
Mirai Nikki must be the biggest dumpster fire out there which caters only to edgy emotionally unstable teens.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jan 11, 2020 9:27 AM

Feb 2019
Bunny girl senpai because I don't like seeing introverted jesus getting all the pussies while saying stuff like "quantum mechanics in action". That shit only caters to spoiled kids who think they are introverted when they are actually not.

Another one is shield hero where protagonist is supposed to be a tragic guy but he has a tanuki girl, chicken loli and a royal princess in his harem for some reason. Also, I didn't mention how dumb that guy actually is and add that all with shitty cgi.
Jan 11, 2020 9:35 AM

Jul 2017
I say Free! because you either like it for the fun cast and interesting take on doing sports professionally vs leisurely, or hate it because dur hur fujobait
Jan 11, 2020 10:16 AM

Mar 2019
Kind of surprised to see so many responding with K-on. I would say I feel pretty middle ground about it myself. I liked it decently but it’s not something I can binge on or watch many episodes of without getting a bit bored.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2020 10:23 AM

Oct 2017
Monogatari series! Ash! Only I watched one season is bullshit! It's Overrated,bunny girl senpai's too!
Jan 11, 2020 11:27 AM

Jun 2019
These are the ones for which it's difficult to get a straight answer or appearance of consensus on whether they're brilliant and beautiful or dumb, boring, and hideous trash. Some more extreme than others, but I think the list stands:

Elfen Lied
Aku no Hana
Gilgamesh
Happy Sugar Life
Texhnolyze
Aria the Animation
Higurashi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ergo Proxy
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
No Game No Life
Shiki

Most of these series, but especially the first three I listed - Elfen Lied, Aku no Hana, and Gilgamesh - it's seemingly impossible to get a consensus opinion, because with other series that have varied opinions (all do to some extent by definition), there is an acknowledgment of respect for the craft or merits seen by the opposing side, but the hate is so pervasive and vitriolic for these and declares they have nothing of redeeming value while there are still a sizable portion of viewership hailing them as incredible 9s and 10s who really don't even see what the people who decry their problems list as actual legitimate problems.

These shows are the epitome of having to watch for yourself to know, because every other person who sees them and comments on MAL in threads or leaves reviews seems to walk away either crying, inspired, and with their breath taken away or disgusted, bored, and furious.
Jan 12, 2020 12:37 AM

Aug 2019
Some people love Kuroko No Basket, or people hate it for not being realistic.
Jan 12, 2020 12:42 AM

Dec 2016
25 replies and no mention to FLCL yet? That show to me is the very definition of a ""love it or hate it"" type of show, its impossible to have mixed feelings about it
Jan 12, 2020 2:05 AM

Mar 2019
Ferien said:
25 replies and no mention to FLCL yet? That show to me is the very definition of a ""love it or hate it"" type of show, its impossible to have mixed feelings about it

I'm not familiar with all the acronyms.
Jan 12, 2020 6:15 AM
May 2019
Ryuk9428 said:
Ferien said:

I'm not familiar with all the acronyms.

FLCL is the shows name not really an acronym, but you will hear furi kuri/fooly cooly from somebody.
Jan 12, 2020 6:38 AM

Oct 2018
Mirai said:
Happy Sugar Life comes to mind. I've seen lots of people on both ends of the spectrum. NGE is pretty polarizing as well.

I was about to respond with this until I saw your comment. Personally, I love it, but the score is super low on MAL. I guess those who love it speak out more than those who hate it.
Jan 15, 2020 2:20 AM
Jul 2018
I hate Bellzebub,I loved the manga and just hated what they did to the series in the anime,Most character were ruined ahem *hilda* ahem and too much filler like they had 10 episode of filler where they could instead finish the fucking arc and have an actual decent ending.

So,yeah Bellzebub can GO EAT A DI-
removed-userJan 15, 2020 2:24 AM
Jan 15, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2016
BoshJ said:
Mirai said:

I was about to respond with this until I saw your comment. Personally, I love it, but the score is super low on MAL. I guess those who love it speak out more than those who hate it.

I´m feel quite conflicted in regards to Happy sugar life one reason being because of my dislike of yanderes in general and the anime´s attempt to make me sympathize with Satou(which i don´t buy since she was willing to
.Another reason is because of the ending,where it
SummerynJan 15, 2020 2:37 AM
Jan 15, 2020 2:40 AM

Mar 2016
Sword Art Online is certainly one that comes to mind, for obvious reasons... But I am of the opinion that it is pretty average. I do not exactly understand why it ignites such strong opinions of either love or hatred.

Yuri Kuma Arashi is another one. There's a point it drives in, but it's done in an odd way. People either absolutely hate the oddity of it, or they aren't bothered by it and enjoy the message it sends. There may be a third type of person who doesn't really "get" it either way. (Not as in they don't understand, but rather they don't really care.)

Balsamic_Vinegar said:
Probably Shinsekai Yori, I've only ever seen people calling it an absolute masterpiece or complete garbage, nothing inbetween.

That is because it is an absolute masterpiece, and the people who call it garbage have one mission on earth: to try and maintain the balance.
I see you yourself have rated it a 5 to try and keep its balance intact. I can appreciate your efforts to the cause.

"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Jan 15, 2020 6:50 AM

Oct 2018
Missaliensan said:
BoshJ said:

I´m feel quite conflicted in regards to Happy sugar life one reason being because of my dislike of yanderes in general and the anime´s attempt to make me sympathize with Satou(which i don´t buy since she was willing to

I don't think the point of the story is to sympathize with Satou, but more to show how she is insane from how she was raised by her aunt. Also how Shio sort of became like Satou after all was said and done. I think it's a story of how the main characters were raised as children and how it reflects their personality.
Jan 15, 2020 7:01 AM

Jul 2016
BoshJ said:
Missaliensan said:

I don't think the point of the story is to sympathize with Satou, but more to show how she is insane from how she was raised by her aunt. Also how Shio sort of became like Satou after all was said and done. I think it's a story of how the main characters were raised as children and how it reflects their personality.

Yeah but still she was essentially freed from taking any responsibility from her actions because of her death which left a bad taste in my mouth.I don´t like seeing a murderer get away scot-free like that without any consequences for what she did.And this carries over to how Satou´s influence affected Shio which i felt like wasn´t a good note to leave the story on.
Jan 15, 2020 7:38 AM

Oct 2018
Missaliensan said:
BoshJ said:

Yeah but still she was essentially freed from taking any responsibility from her actions because of her death which left a bad taste in my mouth.I don´t like seeing a murderer get away scot-free like that without any consequences for what she did.And this carries over to how Satou´s influence affected Shio which i felt like wasn´t a good note to leave the story on.

I get what you're saying. But it's a story of insanity for those who like crazy stories like this. It's not supposed to make anyone feel good or anything.
Jan 15, 2020 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
offtopic but the title makes me cringe a bit because i'm used to the plural form of anime being just anime instead of animes

anyways back to main topic, instead of mentioning the usual like SAO, KnY, SnK etc, I really do hate ToraDora. I hate everything about it but people seem to praise it a lot. Mirai Nikki is right next to it but I only liked the music

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

100 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Apr 26

34 by mshfqtny »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

54 by EverRealm »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

274 by TheMinkalex »»
7 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

43 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.