Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 20, 2019 7:32 AM
Mar 2015
@chiaki Taichi has already inspired Chihaya with his ghost and he did leave an unread text for Arata. Most of us think he is bringing Suo's aunt to the playing site. If that does not inspire him to win I don't what will In the Harada match he delayed until his aunt could watch the match(which Harada and Chihaya misunderstood for different reasons as disrespecting karuta)
As for the boys neither has received a positive reply to their confession At least Taichi got a reply Chihaya actually forgot about Arata's confession for six months and made him wait another six months
I would not be surprised if she forgets about Arata's confession after the match because the Center exam which will decide her future is the week after the match
Aug 21, 2019 9:05 PM

Sep 2012
landofthekwt said:
As for the boys neither has received a positive reply to their confession At least Taichi got a reply Chihaya actually forgot about Arata's confession for six months and made him wait another six months
I would not be surprised if she forgets about Arata's confession after the match because the Center exam which will decide her future is the week after the match

Only one boy received a negative response, and it was Taichi. A swift rejection at that. Suetsugu is postponing the reply to Arata's confession, and I think I know why.
The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.
Aug 22, 2019 12:08 AM

Feb 2011
possession1981 said:
landofthekwt said:

Only one boy received a negative response, and it was Taichi. A swift rejection at that. Suetsugu is postponing the reply to Arata's confession, and I think I know why.

Oh yes, I also believe the creator is saving for Arata's confession response when we get closer to the story's climax ( perhaps right after the tournament): where Chihaya can finally decide what she really wants for the future.

PS: It's not that Chihaya has already forgotten about Arata's confession nor did Arata ( based what we saw from the latest chapters proves it): I truly believe all their long wait will be worth it in the end: like that one saying goes: "patience is rewarding" so will be for Arata and Chihaya. ;)
Aug 22, 2019 5:02 AM

Oct 2012
Well, we see things differently. It's Arata who put it on "wait". Chihaya told him she wasn't thinking about "romance" at all at the moment she spoke to him, and told him so that he wouldn't be waiting in vain, cause she wasn't on that page. Then HE said you don't have to tell me now, I'll come closer in the future and you tell me then. But this all came from Arata. Chihaya obviously wasn't thinking about it at all, and only was reminded about it, when she heard Kana chan's remark. So she never said he had to wait. He did that by himself. In my book she rejected Arata as well.......just she was being careful not to hurt his feelings, cause she already knew that story.
Aug 22, 2019 8:22 AM

Sep 2012
chiakimagoto said:
It's Arata who put it on "wait". Chihaya told him she wasn't thinking about "romance" at all at the moment she spoke to him.

Chihaya makes it clear to Arata that it's not a reply to his confession though. Arata wasn't rejected, he just hasn't received a proper response yet. There's a huge difference between the two.
sweetangie said:
Oh yes, I also believe the creator is saving for Arata's confession response when we get closer to the story's climax ( perhaps right after the tournament): where Chihaya can finally decide what she really wants for the future.

PS: It's not that Chihaya has already forgotten about Arata's confession nor did Arata ( based what we saw from the latest chapters proves it): I truly believe all their long wait will be worth it in the end: like that one saying goes: "patience is rewarding" so will be for Arata and Chihaya. ;)

The climax should be happening this October if Suetusugu stays true to her word, and the story will still be focusing on important matches so her response would come after all that-whether it be rejection or reciprocation. I just believe it'll be the latter. Why else would Suetsugu postpone a proper reply instead of having Chihaya just reject Arata the same way she quickly did with Taichi? Chihaya states something along the lines of reaching the peak of Mount Fuji together while staring at Arata's back in an extra page included in chapter 217. I believe that once Chihaya has reached the state she's been aiming for that she will be able to give Arata a proper response. There's also chapter 93-the love talk-that backs my headcanon up since Chihaya declares the same thing.
Aug 22, 2019 8:54 AM

Oct 2012
In fact Chihaya didn't understand Arata's confession at first. She only understood when Taichi confessed. Since she has made no attempt to reciproc his feelings and lots has happened......she also was very shocked how much she had "shattered" Taichi's feelings so once speaking to Arata (after being reminded about that stuff) she went to tell him "nicely" that she wasn't on the same page at all. I think Chihaya just doesn't want to think about romance. That's all. She doesn't want to answer that question. And the latest interview Sensei gave sort of confirms that. She doesn't have the desire to have a romantic relationship at the moment.

So even if Arata ignored her and insisted that she tell him her feelings later, I think on Chihaya's side nothing is clear yet. She isn't busy like us with shipping. She's busy with karuta and her studies..........and like I said, lots and lots has happened since chapter 93.......

We might actually be heading towards an open ending in the romance section............
chiakimagotoAug 22, 2019 9:00 AM
Aug 22, 2019 10:28 AM

Sep 2012
chiakimagoto said:
In fact Chihaya didn't understand Arata's confession at first. She only understood when Taichi confessed..

I think you're mixing things up. Arata was clear and concise when he confessed. Chihaya obviously knew what he meant, what Chihaya didn't understand was her own reaction to his confession and his snuck-in proposal. It was his proposal that finally clicked once Taichi confessed, and we see this through the scene that vividly dazzles in her mind in chapter 138. Which is the "let's play karuta together then" scene.

she went to tell him "nicely" that she wasn't on the same page at all.

I wouldn't call it not being on the same page, especially since Arata's reaction just shows us that they actually are on the same wavelength. Chihaya tells him it's not a reply, just how she currently feels, goes on about karuta, and Arata is completely fine with that. He knows they both have a goal that takes priority at the moment.

I think on Chihaya's side nothing is clear yet.

I believe the manga has shown which boy Chihaya is in love with, but since we're on opposing (shipping) sides, we won't see eye to eye.

As for the interview, I'm aware of it. Someone partly translated the section talking about the romance, and if their translation is correct, then I don't see a romantic ending ruled out at all (but I can see an open ending happen too or a timeskip to make a romantic ending happen). All it really tells us is that Chihaya needs more time to give an answer-Suetsugu also goes onto note that Chihaya will never give an answer by force or an answer she doesn't mean-and only one boy has yet to receive a proper response. We basically already saw-in my opinion-Chihaya asking for more time in chapter 173.
possession1981Aug 22, 2019 10:32 AM
Aug 22, 2019 11:18 AM

Oct 2012
I think she has definitely shown a sort of crush on Arata, but she has also shown strong affection for Taichi (before he confessed). The way she worked so hard to make him smile, her wish to see him less depressed, made her go far out of her usual way. Especially Chihaya who is a bit self karuta centered.

Taichi's confession really rocked her world...........and we will see if everything that happened after also had repercussions on her heart. She definitely has a strong way of longing for Taichi and Sensei keeps teasing us. She still is baiting the romance with Taichi. Sensei is drawing very strong panels with Chihaya thinking of him........It's not written in stone with Arata, not just yet.
Aug 22, 2019 11:28 AM

Nov 2007
"Let's play Karuta together." becomes "Let's spend the rest of out lives together."

and then

"I am in love with you, Chihaya." becomes "Then what about Arata?"

I may spend my entire life reading this manga yet never get your interpretation, @chiakimagoto.

I need my own Harada-sensei here because I am feeling like Taichi myself.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 22, 2019 11:33 AM

Oct 2012
I guess we will never really agree........I feel the after confession has definitely made a change in Chihaya. Alot happened to her after he left. She went through alot of motions and it still stung her when he said his feelings were probably fading and still she imagines him, when he's not there. Taichi is still very much there in her thoughts with the sort of feeling you get when your heart gets "kurushi". Before Chihaya had never experienced that
chiakimagotoAug 22, 2019 3:45 PM
Aug 22, 2019 9:02 PM

Sep 2012
chiakimagoto said:
Taichi's confession really rocked her world..

To me, it's like the confession shattered her world or shattered an image Chihaya had in her head. The expression Chihaya makes after he confesses is punch to the gut. She looks legitimately upset to hear a confession from someone she regarded as a dear friend. Her post-reaction to both confessions speak volumes-one made her entire world dazzle vividly, the other one darkened it.

it still stung her when he said his feelings were probably fading and still she imagines him, when he's not there.

We have no idea what his statement to Kana made Chihaya feel though, because Suetsugu didn't give us insight into her character during that scene. It could have stung her, it could have made her feel relieved, who knows. All we know is that Chihaya hasn't been shown thinking about his statement once so far, which-to me-is telling in itself.

Before Chihaya had never experienced that

Except this is false. We've already seen this with Arata. Multiple times.
possession1981Aug 22, 2019 9:10 PM
Aug 22, 2019 10:28 PM

Oct 2012
We always come back to not knowing what Chihaya is feeling in the end. We are right were the mangaka wants us. We both see the story from different pov's, so I guess there isn't much to say anymore between us....
Sep 5, 2019 9:59 PM

Feb 2011
sweetangie said:

possession1981 said:
The climax should be happening this October if Suetusugu stays true to her word, and the story will still be focusing on important matches so her response would come after all that-whether it be rejection or reciprocation. I just believe it'll be the latter. Why else would Suetsugu postpone a proper reply instead of having Chihaya just reject Arata the same way she quickly did with Taichi? Chihaya states something along the lines of reaching the peak of Mount Fuji together while staring at Arata's back in an extra page included in chapter 217. I believe that once Chihaya has reached the state she's been aiming for that she will be able to give Arata a proper response. There's also chapter 93-the love talk-that backs my headcanon up since Chihaya declares the same thing.

Oh yes I can hardly wait to see how Chihaya will react and response towards Arata's love confession: all their patience has a purpose because they can't rush something they want to last forever. Besides, they both want to accomplish something to see themselves worthy having their affections being returned towards the person they love, they both are fine with that, it will only bring more meaning in the end when the right time comes in hand; the longer they wait, the more they will cherish it when it finally arrives. ^_^
sweetangieSep 6, 2019 12:24 AM
Oct 9, 2019 5:22 PM

Sep 2010
Taichi got swiftly rejected. Chihaya reacting negatively is because her best friend not only put unwanted moves on her but cut her off his life and quit the hobby she assumed both loved. This was a huge loss and made her distraught. She didn't even think about him in a romantic way when she witnessed a love confession in front of her, her thoughts were for Arata.
Chihaya basically explained to Arata that she wants to do something else before she gives him her reply. They are on a same wavelength and understand each other communicating that way. Chihaya will give her an answer to him after the tournament.
At this point Arata/Taichi is more realistic than Taichi/Chihaya, the only one who made Taichi love karuta was Arata, rather than Chihaya, and even Sou mentioned he (not Chihaya) was Taichi's most important person and core. The way their match played, it seemed Chihaya was nothing but a way for Taichi to reach Arata who was his real goal.
ThessOct 9, 2019 5:26 PM
Oct 11, 2019 10:29 AM

Sep 2012
Thess said:
even Sou mentioned he (not Chihaya) was Taichi's most important person and core.

His mom said the same thing.
Oct 11, 2019 9:47 PM

Sep 2010
possession1981 said:
Thess said:
even Sou mentioned he (not Chihaya) was Taichi's most important person and core.

Oh yes, you're right. His mother agreed. I'm unsure if it's the same for Arata.
Oct 23, 2019 12:20 AM
Oct 2019
Thess said:
possession1981 said:

Oh yes, you're right. His mother agreed. I'm unsure if it's the same for Arata.

I think Arata core right now is Chihaya( previously his grandpa) and it is the same vice versa for Chihaya.
Oct 24, 2019 4:00 PM

Dec 2014
The Taichi confession/rejection(?) still hurts me lol. I like all three of them but I want the best friend to get the girl this time. I also feel like Taichi got a better character development which makes him more relatable. So I hope he gets with her.
Nov 9, 2019 7:30 PM

Nov 2007

Sensei happened to share a tweet intended for her giving this marvelous background with artificial wisteria. Sensei seems to share a lot of Arata related tweets. Not implying anything. Just sharing.
Coronavirus.
Nov 10, 2019 12:51 AM

Feb 2011
shanimebib said:

Sensei happened to share a tweet intended for her giving this marvelous background with artificial wisteria. Sensei seems to share a lot of Arata related tweets. Not implying anything. Just sharing.

How lovely picture Sensei has shown us on her twitter page: it really stands out the background lights together with Arata ( manga cover for vol 17) I'm happy to see Sensei showing love towards Arata's character: thank you for sharing. ;)
Nov 10, 2019 9:27 AM

Nov 2007
sweetangie said:
How lovely picture Sensei has shown us on her twitter page: it really stands out the background lights together with Arata ( manga cover for vol 17) I'm happy to see Sensei showing love towards Arata's character: thank you for sharing. ;)

She just responded to a tweet intended for her. The pic was from the original tweet shared with Sensei. But nevertheless, it was a beautiful take and very nice of Sensei to respond to it. :)
Coronavirus.
Dec 25, 2019 2:21 AM
Jun 2013
shanimebib said:
Jenit_Ransinh said:
I really hope I am wrong tho

The title of the manga is also almost a giveaway. Chihayafuru (ちはやふる) contains Chihaya's name. And the title of the manga is only one dakuten different (not just the syllable) from the hiragana used in Chihayaburu (ちはやる) which Suetsugu-sensei used to describe Arata and his Karuta.

Anyone who attentively followed the manga would know this without having to read the description. While the whole manga is a flashback, the very first panels where the flashback story started were as good as a giveaway.

But before drawing the conclusions here let's be honest. Anyone who thinks Chihaya should end up with Taichi doesn't seem to put them in Chihaya's shoes. That's not how it works in romance. The feelings need to be mutual. Unless Chihaya starts having feelings for Taichi as someone of the opposite sex, like she has for Arata (Taichi fans may deny it all they want) that's as far as it goes.

I love Taichi. And I admired his devotion for the love of his life – Chihaya. But his devotion crippled him like a caged bird that lost its ability to fly. And now he has broken out of that cage and truly is flying. His new found passion for Karuta and his striving for becoming the best is much, much more profound than the devotion he showed for Chihaya. Taichi's story is one of the best written coming of age stories. No one can take away anything from that whether or not Chihaya returns his feelings. Keep in mind that Chihaya is not obliged to return his feelings. I repeat, that's not how it works in romance.

And I love Arata. He has been fragile as a person from the start. He wouldn't hit Taichi when he hit him. He wouldn't come out and tell the classmates that he didn't like them taking notes of his dialects. But he had his ideals when it came to Karuta. He had his own world and he truly became the inspiration for many others because of his Karuta. Yet his Karuta is now fragile as well. He often succumbs to desperation and does things during the matches very unlike him. He let go of the rundown room where he played Karuta with Chihaya and Taichi. He is breaking the whole "Impassionate" idea that Chihaya has about him little by little. He is slowly but surely going through a huge change. He is becoming more of a human character when he is playing Karuta. Long gone are his smiles when he beat Shinobu after making a return to Karuta.

I am loving both Arata and Taichi's development in the manga. Despite of all the changes Arata has gone through, and the changes Taichi has gone through, their personalities would not make Chihaya fall out of love with one and fall for the other while she basically remained the same Chihaya throughout 196 chapters of this manga. The manga will have to put tremendous time and effort to change Chihaya's feelings for Arata and the only way that would be possible is to change Chihaya's personality and make her someone who cannot be described just as a Karuta-baka. 100 more chapters, perhaps? Let's wait and see!

Hey bro, how do you know the whole story is a flshback? im just an anime only, that cant get enough of chahayafuru, and i dont mindt being spoiled, so please spoil me!
Dec 25, 2019 8:07 AM

Nov 2007
Anime_Luv said:
shanimebib said:

The title of the manga is also almost a giveaway. Chihayafuru (ちはやふる) contains Chihaya's name. And the title of the manga is only one dakuten different (not just the syllable) from the hiragana used in Chihayaburu (ちはやる) which Suetsugu-sensei used to describe Arata and his Karuta.

Anyone who attentively followed the manga would know this without having to read the description. While the whole manga is a flashback, the very first panels where the flashback story started were as good as a giveaway.

But before drawing the conclusions here let's be honest. Anyone who thinks Chihaya should end up with Taichi doesn't seem to put them in Chihaya's shoes. That's not how it works in romance. The feelings need to be mutual. Unless Chihaya starts having feelings for Taichi as someone of the opposite sex, like she has for Arata (Taichi fans may deny it all they want) that's as far as it goes.

I love Taichi. And I admired his devotion for the love of his life – Chihaya. But his devotion crippled him like a caged bird that lost its ability to fly. And now he has broken out of that cage and truly is flying. His new found passion for Karuta and his striving for becoming the best is much, much more profound than the devotion he showed for Chihaya. Taichi's story is one of the best written coming of age stories. No one can take away anything from that whether or not Chihaya returns his feelings. Keep in mind that Chihaya is not obliged to return his feelings. I repeat, that's not how it works in romance.

And I love Arata. He has been fragile as a person from the start. He wouldn't hit Taichi when he hit him. He wouldn't come out and tell the classmates that he didn't like them taking notes of his dialects. But he had his ideals when it came to Karuta. He had his own world and he truly became the inspiration for many others because of his Karuta. Yet his Karuta is now fragile as well. He often succumbs to desperation and does things during the matches very unlike him. He let go of the rundown room where he played Karuta with Chihaya and Taichi. He is breaking the whole "Impassionate" idea that Chihaya has about him little by little. He is slowly but surely going through a huge change. He is becoming more of a human character when he is playing Karuta. Long gone are his smiles when he beat Shinobu after making a return to Karuta.

I am loving both Arata and Taichi's development in the manga. Despite of all the changes Arata has gone through, and the changes Taichi has gone through, their personalities would not make Chihaya fall out of love with one and fall for the other while she basically remained the same Chihaya throughout 196 chapters of this manga. The manga will have to put tremendous time and effort to change Chihaya's feelings for Arata and the only way that would be possible is to change Chihaya's personality and make her someone who cannot be described just as a Karuta-baka. 100 more chapters, perhaps? Let's wait and see!

Hey bro, how do you know the whole story is a flshback? im just an anime only, that cant get enough of chahayafuru, and i dont mindt being spoiled, so please spoil me!

The manga starts with Chihaya taking the Chihayaburu card in a Queen vs Challenger match at the Omijingu in Kyoto. Then we move to the cut with Arata picking up newspapers. The cut starts with Chihaya's monologue.

Notice the first panel on top right in the image I posted. It reads:

6年まえ東京
まだ情熱を知らない私

"6 years ago in Tokyo
when I was still unaware of (what) "Passion" (meant)."
Coronavirus.
Dec 26, 2019 3:00 AM
Jun 2013
shanimebib said:
Anime_Luv said:

The manga starts with Chihaya taking the Chihayaburu card in a Queen vs Challenger match at the Omijingu in Kyoto. Then we move to the cut with Arata picking up newspapers. The cut starts with Chihaya's monologue.

6年まえ東京
まだ情熱を知らない私

"6 years ago in Tokyo

So this is Chihaya thinking back and also, what happens in the panels after the mention of this being a flashback or is that just the start of the present story?

also, did this with the whole" 6 years ago" happen in the anime, cuz i cannot remember this so maybe it's just my bad memory.

Anyway thanks for replying i appreciate it!
Dec 26, 2019 5:14 AM

Nov 2007
Anime_Luv said:
shanimebib said:

6年まえ東京
まだ情熱を知らない私

"6 years ago in Tokyo

So this is Chihaya thinking back and also, what happens in the panels after the mention of this being a flashback or is that just the start of the present story?

also, did this with the whole" 6 years ago" happen in the anime, cuz i cannot remember this so maybe it's just my bad memory.

The story starts in her final year of elementary school exactly like in the panel as Arata works as a newspaper delivery boy. The manga then continues with Arata, who has just transfers into Chihaya's school. The story starts there in the manga instead of the start in the anime where we see Chihaya in her first year of high school and the elementary school as a flashback.

In the anime, the present time (high school) is shown as the present time and not a flashback. But in the manga, what we see in the present time in the anime are all flashback. We have not reached the point where Chihaya taking the Chihayaburu card in a Queen title match in the manga.

So, if we consider that - in the start of the manga, Chihaya is playing for the Queen title match for the first time, it's a dead giveaway that Chihaya reaches her promised place with Arata (in Arata's rundown apartment) six years back in her final year of high school or around the time she graduates high school and enters college. The anime adaptation tries to leave it out and make the present story a non-flash back.

Also, the start of the manga elevates Arata's position as a main character much more than the anime due to him being at the start of the story as well as being the one who triggers everything that happens afterwards.

I hope this helps. :)
Coronavirus.
Dec 26, 2019 6:43 AM
Dec 2019
Sensei should realllly develop arata more.his childhood is very relateable yet current arata makes no sense to me.id rather have better fleshed out characters than a love story 'between' unrealistic or unrelatable characters
Jan 2, 2020 2:28 AM
Jun 2013
shanimebib said:
Anime_Luv said:

The story starts in her final year of elementary school exactly like in the panel as Arata works as a newspaper delivery boy. The manga then continues with Arata, who has just transfers into Chihaya's school. The story starts there in the manga instead of the start in the anime where we see Chihaya in her first year of high school and the elementary school as a flashback.

In the anime, the present time (high school) is shown as the present time and not a flashback. But in the manga, what we see in the present time in the anime are all flashback. We have not reached the point where Chihaya taking the Chihayaburu card in a Queen title match in the manga.

So, if we consider that - in the start of the manga, Chihaya is playing for the Queen title match for the first time, it's a dead giveaway that Chihaya reaches her promised place with Arata (in Arata's rundown apartment) six years back in her final year of high school or around the time she graduates high school and enters college. The anime adaptation tries to leave it out and make the present story a non-flash back.

Also, the start of the manga elevates Arata's position as a main character much more than the anime due to him being at the start of the story as well as being the one who triggers everything that happens afterwards.

So the panels you showed were of her in the final year as an elementary schooer and then the story continues in to the present from there.

But in the manga where she's having the queens match , is that 6 years in to the future (meaning from beginning of present time/beginning of sotry) or is it a shorter flashback?

Im really curious as to why madhouseleft tat part out, cuz it makes their friendship more meaningful,as you said, imo.

thanks a lot! And i hope you had a great new year!
Jan 2, 2020 6:39 AM

Nov 2007
Anime_Luv said:
shanimebib said:

So the panels you showed were of her in the final year as an elementary schooer and then the story continues in to the present from there.

But in the manga where she's having the queens match , is that 6 years in to the future (meaning from beginning of present time/beginning of sotry) or is it a shorter flashback?

Im really curious as to why madhouseleft tat part out, cuz it makes their friendship more meaningful,as you said, imo.

No. The story continues with her elementary years until Arata leaves for Fukui because of the health of Wataya Hajime. After that, we get a three year time skip and we see Chihaya in her first year of highschool and reunited with Taichi who already has a girlfriend.
Coronavirus.
Jan 6, 2020 8:06 AM
Nov 2018
landofthekwt said:
Chihaya has 2 epiphanies during the confession First that Taichi has always loved her (Suetsugu says that he represents eternal love in the story.) She even realizes that Taichi stole the glasses and that he did out of jealousy Chihaya only comes to her epiphany about Arata after Taichi finishes his confession and the thought "What about Arata ?"comes into her head It is then that she realizes that Arata 's "Let's play karuta together meant "Let;s live together"

Sorry is shown as a word Not something said from Chihaya to Taichi It just hangs in the air After Taichi leaves he comments her voice was so soft saying that he could barely hear it over the bell

Taichi's confession will haunt her over the next 3 months whereas she forgets about Arata;s confession until the Nationals are over it was only Kana's story that made her remember
I feel like I wanted to chime in on this as an athlete. When you play a sport at a high level to the point where you see your whole life betting on It, you honestly are not focused on things like love and Romance. This fits perfectly with how Chihaya has been acting and goes along with her reply to Arata after seeing Desk-Kun confess to Kana. She focused solely on the fact that she wanted to win first and then Arata accepted that and stated he wanted her to focus on him after. That’s what draws the distinct difference between him and Taichi for me. Taichi participated in Kurata solely for staying connected to Chihaya and Arata (this is all revealed when he’s spending time with the Meijin). He doesn’t even like It all that much, and it’s constantly referenced that he is affected by Chihaya in his game (focusing too much on her, doing better when she isn’t around). He is becoming his own character now but that’s not his original setup. Whereas BOTH Chihaya and Arata have a love for the game for self-actualization from jump. Arata literally gave Chihaya a passion for life. To the point where she sees herself teaching It. It’s deeply rooted in the both of them and I feel like, as an athlete, you have to be with someone of that same energy. Taichi has always been written as the friend who had to catch up and feel included, and though he is important I believe he references the 2nd of the two loves mentioned in the beginning of Chihayas story. He represents friendship and the growing love for the passion of Kurata to spread (Chihaya was dang near obsessed with team development) and I think Arata is her main love both romantically and as a personal development since that’s where It all started. With the one on one game they played in his tattered old room.
Jan 6, 2020 11:45 PM

Oct 2012
I don't think persé an athlete has to have the same energy beside them. Just look at Inokuma San. Her hubby doesn't look like he's fanaticly into karuta, although he supports her very much and shares the work with the kids so she can "live her passion". I feel maybe one high-level athlete in a couple is already enough.....lol. it makes a good balance. And it's not like Taichi doesn't know what karuta is. He made extreme efforts to go as far as he did and knows how hard it is. In the end he's grateful for all the things karuta brought to him: his friends, his teachers, his ultimate goal that was Chihaya.... He understood that he loved it. A beautiful transformation. I think he is more than capable of understanding Chihaya.....even if he needs to concentrate on his studies in the future.
chiakimagotoJan 6, 2020 11:50 PM
Jan 8, 2020 6:17 PM

Dec 2018
What inspired Chihaya to teach Karuta was the teachers she met around the team tournaments. If she focused on what Arata is focused, she would only care about becoming the best in the world.

In the manga it's even mentioned that a fire (passion) can't survive only with it's initial spark; it needs fuel to keep on going. That's Taichi's role in the story, and undermine his importance amongst the main characters doesn't feel right.

Imo, Arata's line after his rejection feels more like a burden than something romantic. If I was in Chihaya's shoes, I would not want a guy waiting for me because I would feel like on the future, I'll need to return to this patient guy's feelings.
Jan 25, 2020 7:59 AM
Mar 2019
possession1981 said:
chiakimagoto said:
Taichi's confession really rocked her world..

To me, it's like the confession shattered her world or shattered an image Chihaya had in her head. The expression Chihaya makes after he confesses is punch to the gut. She looks legitimately upset to hear a confession from someone she regarded as a dear friend. Her post-reaction to both confessions speak volumes-one made her entire world dazzle vividly, the other one darkened it.

it still stung her when he said his feelings were probably fading and still she imagines him, when he's not there.

We have no idea what his statement to Kana made Chihaya feel though, because Suetsugu didn't give us insight into her character during that scene. It could have stung her, it could have made her feel relieved, who knows. All we know is that Chihaya hasn't been shown thinking about his statement once so far, which-to me-is telling in itself.

Before Chihaya had never experienced that

Except this is false. We've already seen this with Arata. Multiple times.
[quote=shanimebib][quote=Anime_Luv message=58864935][quote=shanimebib message=58860776]
Anime_Luv said:
shanimebib said:

6年まえ東京
まだ情熱を知らない私

"6 years ago in Tokyo

- If Suetsugu is decisive about Arata/ Chihaya ending, then Arata's confession wouldn't be like that, as if it was out of nowhere. Chihaya was her normal self (yes, normal, she's been giddy and thinks dreamily of Arata), until Taichi's confession. Not only did it shutter her whole world, but Taichi confession was treated as a powerful tool for Chihaya's character development first and foremost, and then the whole Mizusawa Club.

If Arata/ Chihaya was so clear, there was no reason for the mangaka to prolong it. What for? What's the hesitation for? Aren't you wondering while Arata awaits for Chihaya's answer, she was also thinking about Taichi, and her unusual reactions that made you think 'oh, I thought she rejected him. I thought they were done'. The 'sorry' was not even a proper answer, no one's addressed about what happened between them properly.

Why would mangaka write a scene where Taichi told Kana that his feelings for Chihaya are gradually fading, and then show us Chihaya's emotionless face, and running away afterwards (as if she didn't want to hear that).
Jan 25, 2020 8:06 AM

Aug 2016
taichi from what ive seen in the anime seems to be a bit manipulative and possesive. Also Arata seems much more of a natural choice for chihaya. I am loving the anime tho. I might also read the manga when season 3 of the anime ends.
Jan 25, 2020 11:12 AM

Sep 2012
judia7 said:
If Arata/ Chihaya was so clear, there was no reason for the mangaka to prolong it. What for?

Because once Chihaya gives Arata a proper answer, the romance will be wrapped up for good. Whether it be a rejection which means a friendship end, or a "yes" which means the Chihaya x Arata end. LBR, there's no reason to prolong the answer to Arata's confession if it's going to be a no. Her answer will probably be a yes, and will only come after Chihaya reaches the state she's content with.
Jan 26, 2020 1:01 AM

Oct 2012
I always found it interesting that when I take off the cover of my very first volume with kid Chihaya on it, under is kid.....Taichi.

Anyway yes of course she's keeping the answer to Arata's confession vague or it will be over for him. While Taichi had to be rejected to prepare the "twist".

Indeed post Taichi's confession, Chihaya gets major development and time to digest everything that happened. And it's clear that Chihaya doesn't see Taichi in the same light as before....I think she had asked herself essential questions like "when did I have most fun playing karuta?" " When did I give all my strength". And imagining Taichi praying at the shrine paralleling her own prayers at the New year's shrine motivates her for the coming matches.

What did she want to ask Taichi at the New Year's shrine? The answer is her seeing him at Omi Jingu: she wants him to come. But since all Mizusawa is there, her father, her society.....and not Taichi. She probably is sure he won't come.

He's coming though..... bringing those greens, fulfilling his name card yet again.

In the end 16 & 17 have been side by side hundred of years in the Hyankunin Isshu.
chiakimagotoJan 26, 2020 1:17 AM
Jan 26, 2020 4:13 AM

Sep 2012
@chiakimagoto

I'm not gonna bother with the rest of your post because we're never going to see eye to eye, but 16 & 17 are side by side in numerical order. I believe there are pairs-or cards that are continuations of previous cards-in the 100 poems, but I don't believe that 16 & 17 are two of them. Unless the numerical order is what you cared about then ignore this post.
Jan 26, 2020 4:45 AM

Oct 2012
It's actually Narihira's (the one who composed 17) older brother that composed poem 16.....

And yes, please don't bother.
chiakimagotoJan 26, 2020 5:31 AM
Apr 1, 2020 3:53 AM
Apr 2020
Shanimebib,I think you are wrong.because in the beginning, Yuki Suetsugu(mangaka) was thinking Taichi as a sidekick but when the manga start to develop Yuki decided to make taichi a important character. so what is that mean?.This is means , in this manga nothing have a specific ending.But in my opinion the end will be Taichi and Chihaya.You can understand this from movies and Shinobu X Arata relationship.
Apr 1, 2020 3:53 AM
Apr 2020
Shanimebib,I think you are wrong.because in the beginning, Yuki Suetsugu(mangaka) was thinking Taichi as a sidekick but when the manga start to develop Yuki decided to make taichi a important character. so what is that mean?.This is means , in this manga nothing have a specific ending.But in my opinion the end will be Taichi and Chihaya.You can understand this from movies and Shinobu X Arata relationship.
Apr 1, 2020 1:18 PM

Oct 2019
AyaseChihaya338 said:

Using the movies as an example for the manga, now that is a big brain move right there.
Apr 1, 2020 1:33 PM
Apr 2020
Fionavar said:
AyaseChihaya338 said:

Using the movies as an example for the manga, now that is a big brain move right there.

If you'd listened to the writer's interviews, you'd know she was consulted on more than 60% of the script during the filming.Chihayafuru is not a crappy shoujo series so please don't compare it to other films.And trust me, I finished the manga 3 times and finished to anime series 4 times. no matter where you look you can understand that will end up with Taichi in every possibilty.
May 16, 2020 6:53 PM
May 2020
Before you read my comments, I should point out that I'm not currently reading the manga, so my knowledge only goes as far as the anime.

Tbvh, I don't understand Taichi supporters. I don't like him one bit, not from when I started the anime. My dislike for him isn't about Chihaya, it's about him as a person. To me, Taichi is still a bully, and he treats Chihaya like she's his property. He likes to think that he knows her very well, and knows what she wants. Which is why he frequently grabs her and yells at her. Also keeping information that Arata wanted Chihaya to have from her simply because he didn't want her to know, like what gives him the right? His reactions to her affection for Arata is so ugly. And I think my biggest issue with him is how he is with Arata. Taichi has to be the fakest friend to ever exist.
He has sooo many negative feelings towards Arata, mostly because of how Chihaya feels about him. And that makes no sense to me because it's not even Arata's fault that Chihaya looks up to him that much. He doesn't care about any one but himself, I don't even think he cares for Chihaya that deeply. Taichi is also a coward. I was immensely irritated when he told Suo that he's her boyfriend. One guy told her he loved her, while the other guy is telling lies about being her boyfriend. The choice really should be obvious. Arata is more emotionally mature than Taichi, and actually might be a better person. Arata would never have lied to Chihaya about participating in tournaments, and the fact that Taichi did that frequently is a big tell on his character. I just don't like him as a person, which is why I cannot see him as a viable option for Chihaya. I would rather see her end up with Sudo than with Taichi fr.
And as for people who don't really like Arata, I suppose it's understandable. He has barely gotten any attention or character development in the entire series. We watched his Karuta skills develop, and we watched him finally admit to himself and to Chihaya how he feels. But we haven't really had the chance to see him as a person, the way we have seen Taichi. Even Shinobu had more character development than Arata, and she's barely even a main character. This is why I'm so glad that Arata is finally moving back to Tokyo. This will give Suetsugu a chance to properly develop his character. We need to understand his emotions more, and also his drive. He needs more screen time, and hopefully his move to Tokyo will give him that.
As for Chihaya, her own growth has been extremely slow but quite significant. She no longer only sees Karuta, but sees other things now. She's aware of her future, and of her dreams. Yeah, she's lacking a bit in the romance department, but we can work with that. All she needs is a few conversations with a few friends and she'll be able to understand how she really feels about both Arata and Taichi. I actually think it's more important to grow her intellect than her love life, because she needs to be smarter and more strategic if she wants to become the Queen. She needs to have a strong desire besides Karuta, and I'm really glad she's serious about her future. I mean she missed a chance at challenging the queen for her future career. Younger Chihaya would've never done that.
So I guess I'm glad to see the main characters grow, even Taichi. But before Taichi can ever be with Chihaya, he needs to learn what it means to truly love someone. Because right now, his love for Chihaya is more about winning her than it is about really loving her, and that's just not someone you should want your beloved main character to end up with fr.
P.S. sorry for the lengthy post 🙈
May 18, 2020 12:54 PM

Oct 2012
^ and grow Taichi will!! It's so well written!

I think you should read the manga....
May 20, 2020 3:16 PM

May 2013
wondergirl5 said:
Before you read my comments, I should point out that I'm not currently reading the manga, so my knowledge only goes as far as the anime.

Tbvh, I don't understand Taichi supporters. I don't like him one bit, not from when I started the anime. My dislike for him isn't about Chihaya, it's about him as a person. To me, Taichi is still a bully, and he treats Chihaya like she's his property. He likes to think that he knows her very well, and knows what she wants. Which is why he frequently grabs her and yells at her. Also keeping information that Arata wanted Chihaya to have from her simply because he didn't want her to know, like what gives him the right? His reactions to her affection for Arata is so ugly. And I think my biggest issue with him is how he is with Arata. Taichi has to be the fakest friend to ever exist.
He has sooo many negative feelings towards Arata, mostly because of how Chihaya feels about him. And that makes no sense to me because it's not even Arata's fault that Chihaya looks up to him that much. He doesn't care about any one but himself, I don't even think he cares for Chihaya that deeply. Taichi is also a coward. I was immensely irritated when he told Suo that he's her boyfriend. One guy told her he loved her, while the other guy is telling lies about being her boyfriend. The choice really should be obvious. Arata is more emotionally mature than Taichi, and actually might be a better person. Arata would never have lied to Chihaya about participating in tournaments, and the fact that Taichi did that frequently is a big tell on his character. I just don't like him as a person, which is why I cannot see him as a viable option for Chihaya. I would rather see her end up with Sudo than with Taichi fr.
And as for people who don't really like Arata, I suppose it's understandable. He has barely gotten any attention or character development in the entire series. We watched his Karuta skills develop, and we watched him finally admit to himself and to Chihaya how he feels. But we haven't really had the chance to see him as a person, the way we have seen Taichi. Even Shinobu had more character development than Arata, and she's barely even a main character. This is why I'm so glad that Arata is finally moving back to Tokyo. This will give Suetsugu a chance to properly develop his character. We need to understand his emotions more, and also his drive. He needs more screen time, and hopefully his move to Tokyo will give him that.
As for Chihaya, her own growth has been extremely slow but quite significant. She no longer only sees Karuta, but sees other things now. She's aware of her future, and of her dreams. Yeah, she's lacking a bit in the romance department, but we can work with that. All she needs is a few conversations with a few friends and she'll be able to understand how she really feels about both Arata and Taichi. I actually think it's more important to grow her intellect than her love life, because she needs to be smarter and more strategic if she wants to become the Queen. She needs to have a strong desire besides Karuta, and I'm really glad she's serious about her future. I mean she missed a chance at challenging the queen for her future career. Younger Chihaya would've never done that.
So I guess I'm glad to see the main characters grow, even Taichi. But before Taichi can ever be with Chihaya, he needs to learn what it means to truly love someone. Because right now, his love for Chihaya is more about winning her than it is about really loving her, and that's just not someone you should want your beloved main character to end up with fr.
P.S. sorry for the lengthy post 🙈

you should say "P.S. sorry for copy and pasting this in all the shipping posts"
May 20, 2020 10:30 PM
May 2020
BeatStriker said:

I get you're irritated that i don't agree with you, but i wanted feedback from both the anime audience and the manga audience, since not everyone follows both. So it's really not your concern if I repost my comment on a different forum to hear other views. You don't have to respond to me
May 23, 2020 2:05 AM
May 2020
wondergirl5 said:
BeatStriker said:

I get you're irritated that i don't agree with you, but i wanted feedback from both the anime audience and the manga audience, since not everyone follows both. So it's really not your concern if I repost my comment on a different forum to hear other views. You don't have to respond to me
Wait sorry I'm new to this discussion, but are you an Arata fan? If you are, I am too!
May 23, 2020 2:31 PM
May 2020
abe_riona said:

Wait sorry I'm new to this discussion, but are you an Arata fan? If you are, I am too!

Hey, yeah I'm an Arata fan!
May 25, 2020 5:58 AM

Jul 2012
I'm copying my post from the anime-only thread to here.

As people have seen in Hirunaka no Ryuusei, a first love can easily change just like that. I see Taichi as our secondary male lead rather than first. Chihaya has always had her eye on Arata but never saw Taichi more than a friend. I believe she can fall in love with Taichi if the mangaka wants that to happen.

Yes, it starts out as Girl meets Boy and then there's a 2nd Boy involved to form a Love Triangle. But seeing how complex this series is, anything could happen.

Also, not everything with passion/soulmate idea is guaranteed romantic. It could also be platonic.
MayukaMay 25, 2020 6:06 AM
Jun 5, 2020 10:23 AM
Mar 2020
I've heard somewhere that the author has said that she let the characters choose their way and i've heard she's really sly so we shouldn expect all of these 3 possibilities : 1- she end up with Arata and poor Taichi will lose again to him
2- she beat Arata but reject him ( god that would be really surprising and cool , not that i hate Arata or something )
3- she reject both of them and maybe tell them that they should give it more time
Jun 7, 2020 9:53 AM

Sep 2010
Anime_Luv said:
shanimebib said:

What that user means is that the entire story of Chihayafuru in the manga seems introduced as a flashback Chihaya is having in her Queen match in Kyoto as she takes the "Chihaya" card from the Queen. This is presumably what might happen in the ending match she's having with Shinobu, correct me if I'm wrong.

The anime adaptation changed that.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.