Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What do non-shounen fans think of this anime? And should I keep watching it?

New
Aug 13, 2019 7:00 PM
Aug 2019
I dropped this show after about two episodes. It wasn't bad in any sense of the word, it just wasn't my thing. I went in expecting some like dark-horror drama about a kid living in a world where he's constantly hunted by demons, and what I got was a shounen anime about a kid wanting to become a demon slayer. Which is totally fine, It just wasn't for me. I'm not super into shounen style storytelling.

I really wanna know what anyone else that also isn't in love with shounen thought of this show? Is there something else you liked about it that kept you watching?

And for everyone who's still watching, do you think I, or anyone else who dropped it, should try to give it another chance? Why? What kind of things do you think this show offers that make it worthwhile?
Aug 13, 2019 7:11 PM

Jan 2009
this is your typical battle shonen but with better execution (as they say there is no originality anymore just better execution) like asspulls and power of friendships are not that so obvious but ye the pacing is kinda slow like they only animate few chapters each episode and i think that is why some people find this boring
Aug 13, 2019 7:16 PM
Aug 2019
Dang I really wanted to like this. And it seemed like it could do something new with that darker premise.
Aug 13, 2019 7:27 PM

Jan 2009
there is no school setitngs though like other battle shonens lol so thats a plus for me

if you are not a fan of action fighting shows (especially movie like fights animation) that are battle shonen then no use watching this
Aug 13, 2019 8:35 PM
Jan 2019
JUST KEEP WATCHING! Otherwise you will regret later that u missed this beautiful adaptation
Aug 13, 2019 9:11 PM

Jul 2013
"Local Anime Fan Disappointed That A Weekly Shounen Jump Demon-Action Anime Turned Out To Be Battle Shounen"
07/14/19

Click here for more details of the story
Aug 13, 2019 9:16 PM
Aug 2019
If you dont like it,dont watch it
Aug 14, 2019 2:08 AM
Jul 2009
Expecting a dark horror story from an anime adapted from a shonen jump action manga, great logic. Did you even bother to read the synopsis?
Aug 14, 2019 3:19 AM
Aug 2019
Koshi_Inaba said:
Expecting a dark horror story from an anime adapted from a shonen jump action manga, great logic. Did you even bother to read the synopsis?

They’ve had the promised neverland too though which is literally that and a whole lot more.

But no, I didn’t read the synopsis at first, I watched a trailer on YouTube and tried to go in blind
Aug 14, 2019 3:29 AM

Apr 2016
It’s quite boring, the story and the settings are nothing new. For me the characters are the worst thing of the series, they are really annoying, childish and they scream a lot of times, this is really annoying. The pacing is slow but in my opinion this isn’t a bad thing, different thing is for the comedy, ironically it is not funny and often it seems forced.
This is a classic show, similar to a lot of other anime, it is well animated but nothing else, for me.
Aug 14, 2019 3:35 AM
Aug 2019
HectorBlaze said:
It’s quite boring, the story and the settings are nothing new. For me the characters are the worst thing of the series, they are really annoying, childish and they scream a lot of times, this is really annoying. The pacing is slow but in my opinion this isn’t a bad thing, different thing is for the comedy, ironically it is not funny and often it seems forced.
This is a classic show, similar to a lot of other anime, it is well animated but nothing else, for me.

I totally agree, the MC just annoyed me more than anything, and I didn’t think the story was really bad at all, a lot of it was just boring or predictable
Aug 14, 2019 3:37 AM
Jul 2019
I think it's generic. The animation that's being praised currently is that. Animation, nothing more. Of course i am not one to judge. I have no business here really, it's not the type of anime i like. Being a non-shounen fan.
GatesOfOblivionAug 14, 2019 3:40 AM
Aug 14, 2019 3:46 AM

Oct 2018
JenerikEt said:
I dropped this show after about two episodes. It wasn't bad in any sense of the word, it just wasn't my thing. I went in expecting some like dark-horror drama about a kid living in a world where he's constantly hunted by demons, and what I got was a shounen anime about a kid wanting to become a demon slayer. Which is totally fine, It just wasn't for me. I'm not super into shounen style storytelling.

I really wanna know what anyone else that also isn't in love with shounen thought of this show? Is there something else you liked about it that kept you watching?

And for everyone who's still watching, do you think I, or anyone else who dropped it, should try to give it another chance? Why? What kind of things do you think this show offers that make it worthwhile?

Definitely give it another chance

Why?

Because you've only watched 2 episodes

I'm lazy to write an entire essay to convince you

You've 100% heard about the huge hype around the anime due to episode 19, that's why you're asking it

I know, many times even 2 episodes are enough to decide whether you like an anime or not, and it's hard to give one you didn't like another chance, but in the first 2 episodes, really not much happened

The first few episodes are the prologue of the anime, that's a reason you might not find it that good yet

BTW, he doesn't want to become a demon slayer, like it's the last thing he'd want, he's only one hoping he could turn his sister back to human, so they can live a normal life again

And if you're looking for a dark drama anime, this one is for you, since it can become quite dark from time to time, especially in the latest episodes

And one thing that's special about this anime(aside from the animation), is that the demons aren't just your typical "ahw I hate humans, I'll destroy humanity"

I mean, yeah they kill and eat humans, because they need it to stay alive, and they can't fight the urge to do it, it's not like they want to kill others so badly

And pretty much all demons have their own sad backstory, which makes you kinda feel bad for them, despite what they've done

Well, I still ended up writing an essay
You've made me waste all this time it took me to write this
Why are you doing this to me?!
-Aincrad-Aug 14, 2019 3:51 AM
Aug 14, 2019 4:12 AM

Oct 2018
JenerikEt said:

I feel u there bro, we have the same expectation, but unlike you, i drag my ass watching 13 eps (mainly because my sister love battle shounen and force me to watch it with her) where i should stop in the first. The way they use what happen in the first eps only as tools to have him join demon slayer squad or something was a big give away where it will be going. Not exactly bad but for those who bored or dislike battle shounen it will fall flat.
Aug 14, 2019 4:30 AM

Nov 2011
No, the anime doesn't change compare to first two episodes. I don't like the first episodes, and I still don't like it. At least the animation from ufotable are gorgeus (Nezuko is really pretty too).
I am not yet dropped it is just because my stopping point for shounen (long running) series are farther than average anime, I won't drop a shounen series only after 2 or 3 episodes.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 14, 2019 8:28 AM

May 2009
Why the fuck do you need to divide people into shounen and "non-shounen"? Shounen is only a demographics of magazine that publishes manga.
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A PLOT OF A MANGA.
In Bessatsu Shounen Magazine are serialized: Shingeki no Kyoujin, Flying Witch, Araburu Kisetsu, Katsute Kamidatta Kemono-tachi, Real Account and (formerly) Aho Girl, Aku no Hana, Joshiraku, Shin Sekai yori (which was hi-level ecchi adaptation compared to anime).
Aug 14, 2019 9:19 AM
Aug 2019
SupervisorHasira said:
Not exactly bad but for those who bored or dislike battle shounen it will fall flat.

Yeah we seem to agree on this pretty much word for word lol. I was expecting this ones probably just for shounen fans but I wanted to know if anyone thought it had something more, because the premise seems like it really could do that
JenerikEtAug 14, 2019 5:17 PM
Aug 14, 2019 9:26 AM

Nov 2018
It's good but overrated.
Aug 14, 2019 10:14 AM

Jun 2017
I also dropped it after 2 episodes and the only thing that probably will make me give it another chance is Kajiura Yuki
bastek66 said:
Why the fuck do you need to divide people into shounen and "non-shounen"? Shounen is only a demographics of magazine that publishes manga.
In Bessatsu Shounen Magazine are serialized: Shingeki no Kyoujin, Flying Witch, Araburu Kisetsu, Katsute Kamidatta Kemono-tachi, Real Account and (formerly) Aho Girl, Aku no Hana, Joshiraku, Shin Sekai yori (which was hi-level ecchi adaptation compared to anime).

And this is a jump adaptation not Bessatsu
Aug 14, 2019 10:20 AM

May 2009
mhkr said:
And this is a jump adaptation not Bessatsu

Both are shounen magazines.
Aug 14, 2019 4:44 PM

Mar 2018
Only worth watching for eye candy visuals and one funny character.
poop
Aug 14, 2019 5:21 PM
Aug 2019
-Aincrad- said:

*Evil laughs* Write more minion

-Aincrad- said:
And if you're looking for a dark drama anime, this one is for you, since it can become quite dark from time to time, especially in the latest episodes

And one thing that's special about this anime(aside from the animation), is that the demons aren't just your typical "ahw I hate humans, I'll destroy humanity"

I mean, yeah they kill and eat humans, because they need it to stay alive, and they can't fight the urge to do it, it's not like they want to kill others so badly

I might try to watch a little more then. That concept does sound interesting, but I don't think it's worth it if it only really gets good like 10 episodes down the line
Aug 14, 2019 5:30 PM
Aug 2019
bastek66 said:

Because that's how we discuss genres. People have preferences for certain things. Something being a demographic already practically makes it a genre because it's about a group of people. Shounen magazines are aimed at young kids, so young kids are more likely to enjoy them than other people, just like how fantasy shows are aimed at fans of fantasy content.

Series that are considered shounen usually have a bunch of themes and tropes in common with eachother, so they're usually considered to be of the shounen genre.

Like even if they're in the same magazine, you probably wouldn't find the same things to talk about from Death Note that you would with Hero Academy. But you probably could find a lot more to compare in Hero Academy to Demon Slayer, because of that, we think of them as being in the same "Shounen" genre
Aug 14, 2019 6:38 PM

May 2009
JenerikEt said:
Because that's how we discuss genres. People have preferences for certain things. Something being a demographic already practically makes it a genre because it's about a group of people. Shounen magazines are aimed at young kids, so young kids are more likely to enjoy them than other people, just like how fantasy shows are aimed at fans of fantasy content.

Series that are considered shounen usually have a bunch of themes and tropes in common with eachother, so they're usually considered to be of the shounen genre.

Like even if they're in the same magazine, you probably wouldn't find the same things to talk about from Death Note that you would with Hero Academy. But you probably could find a lot more to compare in Hero Academy to Demon Slayer, because of that, we think of them as being in the same "Shounen" genre

They discuss them wrong.
NO, demographics aren't genres. They don't specify anything about the plot.
There are shounen magazines that only publish high level ecchi and borderline H that definitely aren't for young kids.
Wrong, series aren't considered shounen due to themes and tropes but because magazine they are published. It's not a genre.
The titles I listed as an example in my first post in this thread have almost nothing in common.
I hope I educated you enough, noob.
Aug 14, 2019 6:44 PM
Aug 2015
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
"Local Anime Fan Disappointed That A Weekly Shounen Jump Demon-Action Anime Turned Out To Be Battle Shounen"
07/14/19

Attack on Titan is published in a shounen magazine, but it very rarely feels like one, if at all.
Aug 14, 2019 6:56 PM
Jan 2019
-Aincrad- said:
JenerikEt said:

Definitely give it another chance

Why?

Because you've only watched 2 episodes

I'm lazy to write an entire essay to convince you

You've 100% heard about the huge hype around the anime due to episode 19, that's why you're asking it

I know, many times even 2 episodes are enough to decide whether you like an anime or not, and it's hard to give one you didn't like another chance, but in the first 2 episodes, really not much happened

The first few episodes are the prologue of the anime, that's a reason you might not find it that good yet

BTW, he doesn't want to become a demon slayer, like it's the last thing he'd want, he's only one hoping he could turn his sister back to human, so they can live a normal life again

And pretty much all demons have their own sad backstory, which makes you kinda feel bad for them, despite what they've done

LOL dude that "And one thing that's special about this anime(aside from the animation), is that the demons aren't just your typical "ahw I hate humans, I'll destroy humanity" reminds me of an idiot kid who yelled the same line "i HaTe tItAnS, iLL dEsTroY aLL tiTans" xD
thanks god this anime isnt same shit like that overrated anime
Aug 14, 2019 7:03 PM
Mar 2016
cockblockpolice said:
LOL dude that "And one thing that's special about this anime(aside from the animation), is that the demons aren't just your typical "ahw I hate humans, I'll destroy humanity" reminds me of an idiot kid who yelled the same line "i HaTe tItAnS, iLL dEsTroY aLL tiTans" xD
thanks god this anime isnt same shit like that overrated anime

Idiot kid that saw his mother being eaten alive. What an idiot to harbor those feelings.
Aug 14, 2019 11:51 PM

Jun 2014
JenerikEt said:

The art and animation are very good and when there's a "significant episode" nothing short of sublime. Just on account of that, yes, watch it. The story is a solid stock shounen tale but that's par for the course.

The only downside to the series is 2 characters, Dumb and Dumber. There's nothing wrong with being dumb (a lot of series have dumb , simpleton or obnoxious characters) except for the fact that they SCREAM all the time and they are LOUD, VERY LOUD. As in turn down the sound to 2 LOUD . So much so that they literally distract me from what I'm watching.
Did I mention that they SCREAAAM all the time?

But yes, watch it. The art and animation directors deserve the animation equivalent of an Oscar for their work on this.
Aug 14, 2019 11:53 PM

Dec 2018
Caraculiambro said:
JenerikEt said:

The art and animation are very good and when there's a "significant episode" nothing short of sublime. Just on account of that, yes, watch it. The story is a solid stock shounen tale but that's par for the course.

The only downside to the series is 2 characters, Dumb and Dumber. There's nothing wrong with being dumb (a lot of series have dumb , simpleton or obnoxious characters) except for the fact that they SCREAM all the time and they are LOUD, VERY LOUD. As in turn down the sound to 2 LOUD . So much so that they literally distract me from what I'm watching.

But yes, watch it. The art and animation directors deserve the animation equivalent of an Oscar for their work on this.

*Spoiler alert*

I don't understand the hate on Zenitsu and Inosuke. Personally, Zenitsu is one of my favorite characters on the show... I hope he gets more character development
Aug 15, 2019 12:00 AM

Jun 2014
ShanAsuna said:
Caraculiambro said:

*Spoiler alert*

I don't understand the hate on Zenitsu and Inosuke. Personally, Zenitsu is one of my favorite characters on the show... I hope he gets more character development

It's not hate. I don't understand why people keep on using that term. I don't hate anyone in this show. I reserve term 'hate' for something like let's say the moron that burnt KyoAni.

I simply am extremely distracted by their constant screaming. Why are they so loud? Why did the director make them so incredibly loud. You can make characters comedic, over the top and even camp without making them so loud. Just tell your seeiyus to tone it down instead of up. It would not have changed the story one little bit and made this quality show even more fun for many of us.

Is that so hard to understand?
Aug 15, 2019 12:07 AM

Dec 2018
Caraculiambro said:
ShanAsuna said:

*Spoiler alert*

It's not hate. I don't understand why people keep on using that term. I don't hate anyone in this show. I reserve term 'hate' for something like let's say the moron that burnt KyoAni.

I simply am extremely distracted by their constant screaming. Why are they so loud? Why did the director make them so incredibly loud. You can make characters comedic, over the top and even camp without making them so loud. Just tell your seeiyus to tone it down instead of up. It would not have changed the story one little bit and made this quality show even more fun for many of us.

Hmm maybe it's because I don't use earphones when I watch anime and I adjust the volume in case it annoys others in the house, so I don't find them excessively loud.

In any case, every shounen anime's protagonist is loud as hell (i.e. Eren, Edward Elric), the typical shounen "power-up" yell is by far the loudest thing in anime lolssss
Aug 15, 2019 7:30 AM

Jul 2013
Caraculiambro said:
ShanAsuna said:

*Spoiler alert*

Implying as if being loud isn't a common thing in anime. Have you seen every other shounen anime out there? Literally full of loud people screaming at each other.

On_the_Lam said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
07/14/19

Attack on Titan is published in a shounen magazine, but it very rarely feels like one, if at all.

You listed one exemption. Great. I'm proud of you.
Aug 15, 2019 7:48 AM

Sep 2013
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
07/14/19

chuckled out loud at this. But to the op yeah nothing groundbreaking but as a shounen it's execution and details on battles is pretty decent to good. Most characters for me are likable even the boar
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
07/14/19

chuckled out loud at this. To the op as most have said nothing original or groundbreaking but the execution and detail on fights is pretty decent to good. Story as of right now is almost as monster of the week but it does connect to the main story and objective of the main character. The cast of characters are enjoyable and decent but to be honest i have minimal attachment to them as of yet
sic mundus

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2019

312 by CicadaRex »»
Yesterday, 12:21 PM

» I don't get it

n0tSamir - Jul 7, 2023

34 by guts4ever »»
Apr 22, 12:44 PM

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

19 by Naveen6662246 »»
Apr 22, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

272 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 20, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 19, 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.