Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 21, 2019 10:44 AM

Oct 2012
So obviously a lot of people are feeling bad about the recent incident at kyoani. Kyoani is a studio dedicated to making people happy though so I thought itd be nice to have a thread more focused on the positive ways people have been effected by their work.

Though I cant say as much as many of you have kyoani really defined what anime was to me as a teenager. Clannad afterstory was the first time I had ever seen the more mundane aspects of an adult relationship portrayed as meaningful and beautiful. It's not perfect but at the time it was huge for me, it completely changed how I thought about love.

The Haruhi suzumiya series also inspired me to be more confident at a time when I was very insecure.

If anyone else has something to add I'd love to hear it.
Jul 21, 2019 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't like most of their stuff but I thought the Clannad Tomoyo OVA was pretty good. I also plan to watch more of their stuff in the hopes of finding more things I like. I admittedly haven't watched many of their anime after all.

Hopefully, they can recover from this tragedy. I offer my condolences to the ones affected.
Jul 21, 2019 11:01 AM

Jan 2009
not a fan of KyoAni thats why im not much emotionally affected by what happened but im sure hope they can recover as a studio since they are like one/only studio that treat their employees very well like pay them decent/good salaries and less overtime/overwork schedules thats why they only release few anime each year but with high quality animation at least
Jul 21, 2019 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
I like Haruhi, but that is really it. I never really was a big fan.

Still this tragedy was an eye opener, and what happened to them could just as easily happened to another studio.
Jul 21, 2019 11:08 AM

Jan 2018
They are well known for making emotional roller coaster anime that defines life as something that I shouldn't take for granted. I keep telling myself to get it together or I would force myself to watch clannad to be a good boy.

I mean, I can't really say I can relate because they showcase females personality better than males just as the rest of other producers did but the fact that it gives flavor to trying out different story than usual action romance that I seek, they are pretty well made anime for sure that they have in store.
Jul 21, 2019 11:12 AM

Aug 2014
Was a kyoto "fan" before when they did anime like Clannad, Full metal panic and kanon. After that they went with the cute cute moe (but great drawings/art) that I am not so fond off. So can´t say i liked most of the recent shows even if i watched some.

I dont have so much high hopes that they will recover actually, even i hope they do for the people there i think it will take years. To even find the great artist they had are not so easy to replace. Even if they come back as a company the quality will probably not be the same as before for a couple of years at least.
Jul 21, 2019 11:17 AM

Jan 2016
I'm not a big fan of their anime but i loved Nichijou and even the ones i didn't like were pleasing for the eyes.

I don't even know if they will recover from something like this, sure i hope they will. It would be a huge loss for the industry.
Jul 21, 2019 11:21 AM

Jan 2019
K-On and Tamako Market are some of my favs, period. K-On is a lot of the reason I grew an interest in anime past Pokemon and Ghibli movies. A Silent Voice is next level, both in animation style and story. To be frank, I've only seen parts of the other ones, but all of which are really really dope. Haruhi; classic. Nichijou; classic. Lucky Star; classic. Clannad; classic.

Top tier quality, if ya ask me.

Definitely gonna watch KyoAni titles next, for a while.

much, much love
Jul 21, 2019 11:25 AM
May 2019
My favorite kyoani anime are K-ON and Silent Voice. I liked hyouka as well. I hope that they recover.

Jul 21, 2019 11:27 AM

Jun 2014
I haven't seen many KyoAni works, but I have seen "Shiawasette Naani," "Violet Evergarden" and "Tsurune," and I enjoyed those.

Jul 21, 2019 11:32 AM

Dec 2013
I'm normally not a super big fan of KyoAni, but I'm now watching Hibike Euphonium and it's pretty good.
Jul 21, 2019 11:57 AM

Dec 2012
In my collection is:

Amagi Brilliant Park
Beyond the Boundary
Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here Films
Clannad
Clannad: After Story
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Full Metal Panic: Fumofu
Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
Hyouka
K-ON!
K-ON!!
K-ON!: The Movie
Kanon (2006)
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions Season 2
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions The Movie: Rika Version
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions The Movie: Take on Me
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2
A Silent Voice
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 21, 2019 12:05 PM

Oct 2010
Not a big fan though I find their works enjoyable and easy to watch. How kyoani affected me: watching K-on further convinced me to buy a guitar, it's fun having it.
Jul 21, 2019 12:05 PM

May 2015
Really liked clannad, kyoukai no kanata, and chuunibyou. I hope they can recover from this tragedy.
Jul 21, 2019 12:58 PM

Jul 2014
I liked FMP TSR, and Haruhi.

Other than that, i am not well invested in kyoani. Anything new I tend to gloss/pass over it. Anything in the late to early 2010's made by them I wasn't impressed.

deg said:
not a fan of KyoAni thats why im not much emotionally affected by what happened but im sure hope they can recover as a studio since they are like one/only studio that treat their employees very well like pay them decent/good salaries and less overtime/overwork schedules thats why they only release few anime each year but with high quality animation at least

My thoughts exactly.
Jul 21, 2019 1:34 PM

Oct 2012
OppaiSugoi said:
I liked FMP TSR, and Haruhi.

Other than that, i am not well invested in kyoani. Anything new I tend to gloss/pass over it. Anything in the late to early 2010's made by them I wasn't impressed.

deg said:

My thoughts exactly.

Actually agree with almost all of this as well. I am very nostalgic for some of their shows that's not really my taste anymore.

But yeah that's the thing, even though it would of course be equally tragic if something like this happened to studio deen or somewhere else unpopular, it's so sad that if it had to be anyone it was one of the most ethical companies in the business. Plus the fact that nearly all of their shows are about being happy. And the fact that all of my problems with them are with the writing of their shows, nearly all of the people harmed were most likely kyo anis artists who are all phenomenally talented.

It's not only tragic but it's just so bizarre and shocking. I still feel like I'm dreaming this. I can't even imagine the impact this is going to have on the industry at large and broader anime culture, not to mention the Japanese legal system.

I mean, when was the last time in human history so many professional artists were all massacred at once? Especially in such a safe country. I'm sure it has happened before but I can't think of anything.
ChromephoneJul 21, 2019 1:40 PM
Jul 21, 2019 1:51 PM

Oct 2013
Honestly, the only anime I've seen from them that made any real impact on me were Amagi Brilliant Park, Kyoukai no Kanata and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon and Violet Evergarden were also pretty good. Wasn't all that into the Haruhi series though

Only others I've seen were Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! , Hyouka and Musaigen no Phantom World .
Jul 21, 2019 1:58 PM

Jan 2009
simonephone said:

I mean, when was the last time in human history so many professional artists were all massacred at once? Especially in such a safe country. I'm sure it has happened before but I can't think of anything.

its the most tragic crime in the anime industry at least (afaik that is)
Jul 21, 2019 2:03 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I love a lot of their Anime.

Out of more recent ones and what also essentially got into my "all times favorite" list and it's main character got her spot on my pseudo "waifu" blog.. would be "Violet Evergarden"....

aside that.. K-on, chuunibyou, hyouka, Koe no Katachi, clannad, Amagi Brilliant Park.. and a lot more. I think I have enjoyed or love almost every Anime they produced that I've seen so far.
DesolatePsycheJul 21, 2019 2:06 PM
Jul 21, 2019 2:21 PM

Jan 2018
I enjoy a lot of their work, especially the K-On series, and I pray that they are able to recover from this loss, along with prayers for the families of those affected by this tragedy. Sometimes things like this just shakes my faith in humanity in general. So the arsonist supposedly was motivated by what he perceived to be plagiarism of his work? Instead of taking the issue to court (I don't know the ins-and-outs of intellectual property laws in Japan, but I assume they exist) he just decides to do something that kills a bunch of people, and hurts many more. I hope they throw the damn book at the perpetrator(s).

When will the senseless violence end? Probably when humanity no longer exists, sadly.
You can make me grow old, but you can never make me grow up!
Jul 21, 2019 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
Koe no Katachi and The Disappeaance of Haruhi Suzumiya are two of the best movies I've seen in a long, long time.

KyoAni works are clearly labours of love, which is evident from their beauty and the emotions they evoke. If they don't come back from this, it would be an undescribable loss to the world of art and entertainment.
Jul 21, 2019 2:33 PM

Feb 2014
The thing I like the most about KyoAni is the fact that they don't compromise on animation, and their attention to detail. Unlike most other studios, they don't settle for limited animation. They take their time and fully animate their anime, showing every subtle movement and gesture even during the simplest character interactions, and using them to tell their stories visually. That really brings their characters to life and makes them feel like real people. And not just with visuals. Even their sound design is exceptional. The voice acting is always topnotch, the music is memorable and complements the visuals, and they make sure to incorporate ambient noises and give the voice acting that sync sound like effect wherever necessary, making the scenes feel really atmospheric and immersive.
Jul 21, 2019 2:39 PM

Oct 2012
captjoe213 said:
So the arsonist supposedly was motivated by what he perceived to be plagiarism of his work? Instead of taking the issue to court (I don't know the ins-and-outs of intellectual property laws in Japan, but I assume they exist) he just decides to do something that kills a bunch of people, and hurts many more.

He had a history of mental illness and was only let out of jail a few years ago for robbing a convenience store at knife point. So yeah, I doubt he even has published books. I think hes just a delusional psychopath.

The real tragedy is how much of this probably would have been avoided if they had only had sprinklers in the building.
Jul 21, 2019 2:42 PM
Feb 2012
Kyoani is one of the pioneers of adapting vn to anime and tbh no one has been able to do it well since then
Jul 21, 2019 2:58 PM

Jan 2009
simonephone said:

The real tragedy is how much of this probably would have been avoided if they had only had sprinklers in the building.

some threads debated about that gasoline is hard to put out by normal means since it spreads they say and also that building has no fire exits they say

also i made this comment on another thread

security guards said:
The doors to the studio were usually locked by security, but they had expected visitors that morning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Animation_arson_attack#Background

that seems to imply they let their (security) guard down
and why do that especially if there are more people than normal? they do not even do body checks like with a metal detector to at least get the knife of the criminal he used to threaten people with?

Police said he was also carrying a backpack with several knives.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/kyoto-animation-kyoani-fire-arson-suspect-death-toll
Jul 21, 2019 3:02 PM

Oct 2012
deg said:
simonephone said:

some threads debated about that gasoline is hard to put out by normal means since it spreads they say and also that building has no fire exits they say

security guards said:
The doors to the studio were usually locked by security, but they had expected visitors that morning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Animation_arson_attack#Background

that seems to imply they let their (security) guard down
and why do that especially if there are more people than normal? they do not even do body checks like with a metal detector to at least get the knife of the criminal he used to threaten people with?

Police said he was also carrying a backpack with several knives.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/kyoto-animation-kyoani-fire-arson-suspect-death-toll

Holy shit no fire escapes? Yeah that's like a way bigger problem.
Jul 21, 2019 3:37 PM

Jan 2009
simonephone said:
deg said:

Holy shit no fire escapes? Yeah that's like a way bigger problem.

yep just for confirmed source on that here if ever others on this thread is wondering

"There was no fire escape on the outside of the building and I think that was a big reason why so many people died," he said. "There was only one way for them to escape."
https://japantoday.com/category/crime/More-details-emerge-about-anime-studio-arson-attack-that-killed-33
Jul 21, 2019 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
School festival episode in Hyouka was one of the most impressive and vivid things I've seen.
Studio created its own distinct animation style and I fear with the loss of the artists it will be difficult to reproduce like before.

Jul 21, 2019 4:35 PM

May 2018
My favorite kyoani anime is Euphonium. I'm thinking about supporting them more by buying a Kousaka Reina figure if there is one in future. I haven't seen any Euphonium figure yet.
Jul 21, 2019 5:03 PM

Jul 2007
While I didn't enjoy many of KyoAni's works; I loved Air, Kanon, and Lucky Star, and also Clannad plus After Story is one of my favorite anime ever and had a large emotional impact on me. All these shows are nostalgic to me.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jul 22, 2019 2:04 AM
Jul 2018
Sweanime said:
Was a kyoto "fan" before when they did anime like Clannad, Full metal panic and kanon. After that they went with the cute cute moe (but great drawings/art) that I am not so fond off. So can´t say i liked most of the recent shows even if i watched some.

I dont have so much high hopes that they will recover actually, even i hope they do for the people there i think it will take years. To even find the great artist they had are not so easy to replace. Even if they come back as a company the quality will probably not be the same as before for a couple of years at least.

I'm surprised you put it that way, since I thought the "real" moe-style was this typical 2000s style with their huge eyes. After that, their style became much more pleasing in my eyes, although it's still moe, but not so extreme.

I think, it's okay, if they wait for a while until they continue. People should respect and understand that their favorite anime isn't the center of the life.
Jul 22, 2019 2:46 AM

Apr 2012
I don't think anything they've done has actually significantly changed the way I think, act or live. But in terms of astounding me, delighting me, moving me to tears, invoking my feelings of love, their record is astonishing, and they've done plenty of good comedy and basic entertainment too. Haruhi, all the Key adaptions, K-ON and Eupho are all amongst the most special anime ever created for me, and I haven't even mentioned Nichijou, Hyouka, A Silent Voice, Chuunibyou, Maid Dragon, all firmly amongst the greats.
Jul 22, 2019 2:58 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
when i first started watching anime online back in early/mid 2009 Haruhi and Clannad were 2 of the first 5 shows i watched, although i didn't know jack shit about studios, or honestly much of anything other than wjhat anime was generally like

so funny you mentioned those

but it was really during 2012 after that i started watching pretty much every Kyoani anime...

except Free! XD
Jul 22, 2019 10:14 AM
Feb 2014
To be honest, i have only watched 3 anime by them and what i saw i didn't really like, those being Air, Hyouka and Chuunibyou(This one was ok though)

I do have some other anime of theirs on my PTW: Koe no Katachi, Violet Evergarden and Free!

I just don't like their style in general because they heavily rely on moe and CGDCT, but even so, the news hit me quite hard and i was saddened by it, i was anxiously following the updates as they unfolded, and was depressed that it seemed to develop for the worst every time i looked at it...
Even if i'm not personally a fan of their works, i still wish for them to recover as quickly as possible from this tragedy and come back stronger than ever from this!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jul 22, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2013
I absolutely love KyoAni. I'm totally biased towards them. I have a soft spot for everything they release even for some anime I deem bad or average like Phantom World and Amagi Brilliant Park because they're a studio that really hits all the right spots that I like in an anime. My Top 10 list has three entries from them. That's how much I adore their works.

I was devastated to hear the news about the incident because KyoAni is such a good and passionate studio. They revolutionized the industry and to see all their years of hard work burned down is so horrible.
Jul 22, 2019 10:48 AM

Jul 2016
KyoAni has always been there. While I may have never put one of them on my favourites list, they've always been there in my heart none-the-less. They're the perfect comfort, not bombastic, life changing experiences (at least not for me) but always there, like a warm blanket, where it feels like nothing can go wrong.

I have a tradition of rewatching The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya every Christmas, and that's not going away any time soon.

Elsewhere, Under The Scope put out a video less than half an hour before writing this, and is definitely worth a watch.

Rest in peace, to the 34.
ChilliePeppersJul 22, 2019 10:51 AM
Jul 22, 2019 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
Seems like someone didn't want KyoAni to stay in business, and that "brainwashed moron" who set the building on fire, was most likely hired by them(or through "third-party" individuals). Things like that don't just happen out of the blue, also, that "Police investigation" will always say fake shit(just like in any other country) and the crowd(or media) will eat that. Most likely some "high-ranking pig" got paid also, to hush up this incident, etc.

All in all, I didn't really enjoy any Anime made by KyoAni, Moe, Slice of Life/School Life genres don't interest me. (but it such sad news, and people died, the disgusting world, we are living in)
Jul 22, 2019 12:09 PM

Jun 2019
Not sure if I ever watched much by them, because I don't usually follow what studio is working on what and seek out some or avoid others.

I do know that for the longest time I've heard whisperings about Haruhi Suzumiya from passionate and eccentric fans online and always debated over watching it or not. The recent murders finally gave me the impetus to watch it. I'm already on the second season and it's quite the experience.

terminated-soul said:
Seems like someone didn't want KyoAni to stay in business, and that "brainwashed moron" who set the building on fire, was most likely hired by them(or through "third-party" individuals). Things like that don't just happen out of the blue, also, that "Police investigation" will always say fake shit(just like in any other country) and the crowd(or media) will eat that. Most likely some "high-ranking pig" got paid also, to hush up this incident, etc.)

This actually sounds like a terrific anime plot.

Jul 22, 2019 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
Kruszer said:
In my collection is:

Amagi Brilliant Park
Beyond the Boundary
Clannad
Hyouka
K-ON!
K-ON!!
Kanon (2006)
A Silent Voice

Did you skip the first season of Full Metal Panic! or just forgot to list it?
Jul 22, 2019 8:23 PM

Dec 2012
Nick-Knight said:
Kruszer said:
In my collection is:

Amagi Brilliant Park
Beyond the Boundary
Clannad
Hyouka
K-ON!
K-ON!!
Kanon (2006)
A Silent Voice

The first series was animated by Gonzo so I didn't list it, same with the 4th season which was a Xebec work (I do own both of those too though). Kyoto Animation only did Fumofu and Second Raid.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 23, 2019 3:08 AM

Mar 2018
KyoAni is not my absolute favorite studio when it comes to output but they are my number one nevertheless because of their work ethics, how they treat their employees and how the studio is run. It always warmed my heart and this is why this violent assault is so painful.Iama realist but I also hope and therefore I will not give up hope that the studio and its artists will rise from the ashes.

My first KyoAni love was and still is Free!. Violet Evergarden wasn't perfect but I liked it nevertheless a "A Silent Voice" is absolutely phenomenal. Finally started with Clannad but three episodes in I am not yet wowed but I am patient. It took me also a while to live "3-Gatsu no Lion".
Jul 23, 2019 3:14 AM

Jan 2009
and also #FeminismMatters will love that KyoAni employs a lot of female animators more than any other anime studios afaik
Jul 23, 2019 3:15 AM

Apr 2013
The anime I watched from KyoAni are

They are not my favourite studio since their anime usually don't entertain me as much as others do. But their animation and work ethics are second to none in the anime business. So if I would try to be objective and only rate animation and art, they would be my number 1 for sure.
Jul 23, 2019 1:12 PM

Jun 2016
I liked a silent voice, violet evergarden, kyoukai no kanata.The animation in these shows were really great.
I’m planning to watch free, k-on,clannad, and hyouka.
Jul 23, 2019 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
Kruszer said:
Nick-Knight said:

The first series was animated by Gonzo so I didn't list it, same with the 4th season which was a Xebec work (I do own both of those too though). Kyoto Animation only did Fumofu and Second Raid.

Oh sorry, my bad I forgot about that.
Jul 23, 2019 9:18 PM

Jan 2009
Thank You Kyoto Animation by Gigguk

Jul 23, 2019 9:45 PM
Jul 2018
I might as well just copy and paste what I said in another forum.

Kyoto Animation is definitely one of my favorite anime studios of all time and I am devastated about what had happened to them as much as everyone else is. They made two of my favorite anime, Haruhi Suzumiya and Violet Evergarden (which those have 2 of my favorite female anime characters, Yuki Nagato and Violet).
Jul 24, 2019 7:00 AM

Aug 2018
I really love KyoAni because they created Koe No Katachi, my favorite anime ever!! 😰 Really sad for them.

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

15 by Fischer77 »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

55 by Fischer77 »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

239 by TitanOfPlasma »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

60 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.