Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 22, 2018 7:31 PM

May 2015
I try to never watch it in public, but I do go to the anime club offered here. There, I'll be watching anime with others but away from normie public

Oct 22, 2018 7:34 PM

Dec 2012
No, because I'd have to do it on my phone, sluming it with a tiny 5 inch screen and why the hell would I do that when I have a much bigger TV, a surround sound system, and faster internet at home?

I'll read digital manga or novels in public though.
KruszerOct 22, 2018 7:41 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 22, 2018 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
One time I saw someone watching Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? on the bus.

I myself try not too watch anime in public
removed-userOct 22, 2018 7:43 PM
Oct 22, 2018 7:41 PM

Jul 2014
hell yeah boi, show those plebs sum guud taste.
Oct 22, 2018 7:50 PM

Jan 2013
Most i'll do is read manga. I don't want to be bothered when I'm watching something so I'd rather just wait until I'm home instead of watching on my small phone screen.
Oct 22, 2018 7:53 PM

Mar 2018
I'm not ashamed to watch anime in public. A couple of months ago I even watched some random 70s anime in a coach filled with my colleagues.
Oct 22, 2018 8:16 PM

Jan 2014
Depends on the type of anime

I watched One Outs in public, and I was completely comfortable watching it. Now if it was something like To Love Ru, yea I would be uncomfortable with others seeing it
Oct 22, 2018 8:20 PM

May 2014
I don't watch anime in public. I'm never really just sitting in waiting in public like that.
Oct 22, 2018 8:22 PM
Sep 2017
Nope. My luck would have everyone conveniently looking at my phone whenever there is fanservice.
Oct 22, 2018 9:26 PM

Feb 2010

why wouldn't i i am not a filthy basement weeb. why would watching anime in public be any diffrent then when i watch any other show in a public place?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 22, 2018 11:45 PM

Aug 2017
If I know it's not an ecchi I do. The only one I've watched is Sailor Moon. The classrooms in my university are too damn cold and I spent a lot of time inside of them, so no wonder I appreciate being outside when in the campus.
Ofcourse with headphones because I have dignity.
Oct 23, 2018 12:40 AM
Jul 2018
I don't and I have no plan to do such a thing.
Oct 23, 2018 12:59 AM

Aug 2018
yeah, i don’t really care about other people’s opinions. of course i’d rather watch at home but i used to watch during school a lot before i graduated and i’ll also watch during long car/train/bus rides. no one has ever said anything about it to me before other than my friends occasionally teasing me about it.
Oct 23, 2018 1:03 AM

Oct 2013
On my flight back from New York, I watched “Drifters.” I was completely emersed in the show, but little did I know that 2-3 people were accumulating behind me. It was a pretty gruesome episode, but overall I didn’t mind. The people were 40-50+ so that was interesting.
Oct 23, 2018 1:06 AM
Jul 2018
I watch anime while traveling with bus but I always watch anime wit my earphones and I try to cover my phone as much as I can cause anything unexpected shows up even if it's 13+ anime and that's why I don't even watch anime front of my family
Oct 23, 2018 1:42 AM

Apr 2017
I watch anime at work, and in public places (if I feel the need to). Depending on how much I care about the people around me during that particular time, I might make sure that I'm watching something SFW, or if something lewd or ecchi shows up, I'll make sure to cover it.
Oct 23, 2018 3:06 AM

Mar 2018
I do not, but I did see this big dude reading some shoujo manga at a Burger King once. It was pretty cool, he wasn’t hiding it and everybody could see it.
Help stop the spread of Korean propaganda (KPrOP) and sign this petition!
http://chng.it/Yw8Vzwk4Tg
Oct 23, 2018 6:06 AM

Dec 2013
Ponch9921 said:
I have to watch it on the train, because I don't have time at home

I've also watched anime while on the train. Truth be told nobody cares, they're usually to busy into whatever they are doing to pass the time. But I guess the kind of show you watch will play an important factor.
Oct 23, 2018 6:15 AM

Jan 2013
I watch anime at the library sometimes, if that counts.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Oct 23, 2018 6:26 AM

Feb 2016
I would never do that, my anime is too precious to be seen in such poor conditions, but I've seen people in the bus do that before, such an odd place to do that.
Oct 23, 2018 6:45 AM

Dec 2015
I don't even have internet when I'm not at home so there's no way I could watch anime in public. I have read manga while taking a break at work though.
Oct 23, 2018 6:56 AM

May 2017
If it’s in a highly crowded place then no, but if there isn’t anyone sitting directly next to me then why not? If I really want to get to the next episode of something I’m fine with watching it outside.
Oct 23, 2018 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
No, I would not watch anime in pubic; but I wouldn't be watching other stuff either in public, reading is more easier to do in public; because noise would be a huge distraction, and I really can't even watch shows if other people are even in the same room as me.
Oct 23, 2018 7:43 AM

Mar 2018
No, not at all. But not because I care about other people's reaction. I don't give a damn about strangers' opinions towards me in watching anime. It's because:
- I can't concentrate.
- I don't watch anime with mobile phone because of small screen. That's why:
- To watch anime in public mean I have to carry my laptop everywhere I go and it's troublesome.

Oct 23, 2018 8:17 AM

Feb 2016
no. simply because I dont want to get a boner in public places
Oct 23, 2018 8:19 AM

Aug 2015
No, feels very awkward. Sometimes I check out trailers and stuff but never episodes.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Oct 23, 2018 8:35 AM

Jun 2017
No, because I never watch anime with my mobile but I read manga in public...
Oct 23, 2018 8:37 AM

May 2017
Naah I watch it in my bedroom where I feel comfortable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2018 8:54 AM

Oct 2017
i often did when i was in college and i'd be lying if i said i didn't notice people staring a lot more than usual but i think it's just curiosity, because i also stare a lot when i notice someone's watching something or reading a book because i want to check out what is it, if i know what they're watching etc. but i will say i was at the university the other day and i was in the hallway and i heard that kissanime intro sound coming loudly from one of the main administrative offices and i HOLLERED
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Oct 23, 2018 9:00 AM

Oct 2018
Yeah, netflix and prime do have some decent anime after all. On my way to work and back home I can usually watch up to 4 episodes a day, huge time saver.

I woudln't recommend watching Hardcore Ecchi shows though.
Oct 23, 2018 9:00 AM

Oct 2014
yes, but I always try to watch anime that doesn't involve so much ecchi in it, gotta stay pure in public
Oct 23, 2018 9:04 AM

Aug 2018
I don't watch anything in public personally, my mind always thinks up the most insanely worst possible scenarios if someone sees me. Anime especially. Might just be my social anxiety I guess.
"Although Punpun didn’t really want to think about what the point of having dreams that could never come true was… To have dreams and worries that you could talk frankly about… In a way, that was probably a more fulfilling lifestyle than his own, Punpun admitted. Being cool was merely a paper-thin difference away from being empty."

-Oyasumi Punpun
Oct 23, 2018 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
How the hell can you focus on watching anything near a crowd of people yelling?
Oct 23, 2018 10:04 AM

May 2018
Anyone who watches anime in public is braver than any US marine.
Oct 23, 2018 10:46 AM

Feb 2016
I've watched anime in public several times sometimes people was giving me a weird reaction especially girls and old people but they never bothering themselves by asking me what I'm watching or giving me shitty comments 'bout my hobby

btw the last time I've watched anime on the train there was a stranger who asked me for the name of the anime I was watching, I was sorta happy there's someone who likes anime too in my district
Oct 23, 2018 11:03 AM

Aug 2015
Yeah kind of, i watch funny moments of my favs anime in public sometimes.

Oct 23, 2018 11:07 AM

May 2015
I used to watch Death Note in my college courtyard between classes...

Also, when I went to my local laundromat recently, I saw a guy watching what I assume was Fate/Apocrypha on his phone while his clothes were drying.

As long as I have a good place to sit and have time to kill, I can watch an episode of anime although I prefer reading Manga in public spaces because noise interference...
Oct 23, 2018 2:17 PM

Oct 2014
Not usually, no. But I have before. Had a long bus ride several months back and decided to watch a couple episodes of Violet Evergarden on my phone to kill time. Had good headphones so could hear fine. Although it became rather problematic because one of the episodes I watched was quite heartbreaking, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have tears going down my face. Luckily the bus was semi-empty so no one noticed (I hope).
Oct 23, 2018 4:35 PM

May 2016
I used to watch Cardfight Vanguard in my high school courtyard between classes...

Oct 23, 2018 4:39 PM

Aug 2012
Nowadays, I do. Folks in the house don´t mind about it. When I was a kid, I didn´t liked to watch together with adults, though.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Oct 23, 2018 4:49 PM
Oct 2016
I only watch anime at home. There are some rare chances that a new episode comes out and I'm not near home, I might pull out the tablet, pop in head phones. I usually need to be in a quite place where I am not disturbed. When I get into my anime, you might die trying to disturb me. Even if it is subbed. I need humans to keep their dirty little sound makers shut.
Oct 23, 2018 5:11 PM

May 2009
Dex_Lionhart said:
Do you watch anime in public?

Basically my question. By public I mean anywhere where there are tons of strangers like in subways or train stations or bus stops where often random strangers sit next to you in waiting and possibly get a glance or two at whatever activity you're doing on you device/phone. If you're watching anime, take any demographic genre, whether it be pg or 18+ or anything. Lets say he's a total normie what kind of reaction do you get? Do they initiate a conversation with you or give a weird reaction? If yes what kind? Or you try to cover your screen in such a way only you can see?
I've already seen other people do it before, and the reaction of bystanders is basically no reaction at all.

I mean, people also watch/read various other things on their phones already, and most people don't have any reason at all to make note of %anonymous_person_next_to_them% doing whatever as long as they keep to themselves. If anything it might be more common, even though still uncommon, that people start interesting conversations over a common interest -- e.g. "oh hey, that's a great show". People who don't care for this (the "total normies" you speak of) generally just go "oh, someone's watching Japanese cartoons, whatever", and they're actually more likely to go "ugh, everyone's stuck to their phones these days"...assuming that they aren't stuck to their phone themselves.

As for myself, I don't watch anime in public, but not because of shame or anything -- it's because I really care about the music and atmospherics, and I can't get that on an airplane or a subway train or such. Too much background noise to really appreciate it. I could turn the volume way up but it might disturb people around me (and would still be kinda unsatisfying); I could use headphones/earbuds but then it might make me oblivious to my surroundings (and I really would not like to be robbed).
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 23, 2018 5:31 PM

Jul 2017
On a school trip a while ago I was excited to watch this one anime I was rlly excited for and one of the girls I roomed with saw my screen (it happened to be on a rare uhh questionable scene) and she gave me a freaked out look lolol. I haven't watched in public since~
Oct 23, 2018 5:36 PM

Sep 2017
Nope, rarely, very rarely, i prefer to watch it at home or a cinema 'cause noice and comfort :)

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Oct 23, 2018 6:51 PM

May 2018
Not really. I prefer watching it at home, or if I'm much excited for the latest release I will immediately watch it when I'm still in public and they don't even care.

𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐳𝐞𝐫𝐨.
𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈'𝐦 𝐚𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫.
Oct 23, 2018 7:48 PM

Feb 2017
If there's anything inappropriate in the anime, I don't watch it in public. Otherwise, I don't care. Not like you're going to get killed or anything, it's just anime. Why should I care about what some random stranger has to say?
Oct 23, 2018 7:55 PM

Nov 2015
In public, is the only time I watch anime these days. More specifically, on my daily 30 minute bus ride to and from school.

I usually make sure the people around me can't see it. I don't ever watch anime in a scene where just anyone can peer and see what I'm watching. I can't gather the courage to watch it in the library or something, no matter what it's rated. Too embarrassing ufufu~
Oct 23, 2018 8:03 PM

Aug 2018
I watch anime whenever I have free time. If its on a bus so be it. I watch it at school when there's downtime in class and it's whatever I need to watch for the season or just random.

Oct 23, 2018 8:04 PM

Aug 2018
yonderly said:
In public, is the only time I watch anime these days. More specifically, on my daily 30 minute bus ride to and from school.

I usually make sure the people around me can't see it. I don't ever watch anime in a scene where just anyone can peer and see what I'm watching. I can't gather the courage to watch it in the library or something, no matter what it's rated. Too embarrassing ufufu~

You only watch 2 episodes a day :( That sucks. I give you courage :)

Oct 23, 2018 8:55 PM

Mar 2018
lol I don't go out in public so, no. The best way to watch anime is in the comfort of your own room without any distractions or worrying about being self-conscious what people may think of an anime that you're watching.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» A century-old anime just discovered in Japan

TRC_Randy - 1 hour ago

10 by Yonahim_Zz »»
8 minutes ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - Yesterday

47 by Jonas-K »»
17 minutes ago

» How do you feel when you see your waifu with dude who isn't the MC?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

6 by Salty_Cookie »»
17 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

69 by Yonahim_Zz »»
17 minutes ago

» Opinions on characters colors!

Yonahim_Zz - 47 minutes ago

7 by Eleben »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.