Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 1, 2018 4:09 PM

Feb 2017
YoungboyNFA said:
Ryuuryota said:
Seems like hiro was the "darling" of before and he only until that last part of the episode had forgotten all about her, why else would the show a flashback of zero2 in her full monster form from when she was small, and hiro's mid episode flashback of some girl with her hood up from when he was younger but couldn't remember who they were.

I saw that but that was some trippy shit, and she was acting all crazy these last 2-3 episodes. I hope you are right though.
Yeah i agree i was getting worried until this last episode now the pieces fit together i'd be suprised if i was wrong about my assumption
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Apr 1, 2018 4:12 PM

Feb 2017
[quote=firemagnet message=54800191]
GosuGian said:

Now onto the the star of the episode, Zero Two. I had made a theory about how Zero Two suffers from an attachment disorder and this causes her to be uxoricidal in a comment before, but now I don't know. She could have an anxiety disorder from her excessive nail biting, irritability, and being always on edge but her actions counteract this. Zero Two is a really difficult to deconstruct unlike the other pilots, but I've come to the conclusion that she definitely has a body dysmorphic disorder. She perceives her own body as flawed and thinks about it almost constantly. This has caused her to perceive herself as a monster, which in turn has caused her to have constant emotional distress. This explains why she can't confront herself in a mirror, and why she can't confront Hiro about it. This is just a theory though. Something I found to be a key moment in Zero Two's mental deterioration is when she asks Hiro to kiss her. During the scene we can see that Hiro shows a moment of fear, one that Zero Two picks up on and this causes her to retreat. I believe that it is this fear that is causing all the issues we see by the end of the episode. This hesitation deeply hurts Zero Two. It makes her think that the Hiro she knows now is not the one she knew as a kid. She retaliates later in the episode by calling Hiro fodder. We've seen this type of "tough love" when Ichigo and Zero Two were in the garden. Ichigo doesn't want Hiro to be hurt, but Zero Two disregards his safety altogether. Saying that if he didn't survive, he just didn't amount to much. I feel like Zero Two almost idolizes Hiro in a way. Just like how the other parasites used to idolize him as kids, she kind of sees him as an almost invincible hero. Someone to save her from herself. Makes sense in terms of Zero Two's twisted way of thinking. Something I found interesting was when Zero Two asked Hiro why was he holding her back too. It seems like Zero Two thinks that Ape and Hiro are holding her back from becoming human, but its pretty clear that no matter how many klaxosaurs she kills it'll never make her human. I wonder if that's something that Ape told her would happen if she killed more klaxosaurs. It would definitely make sense since she is possibly the strongest Franxx pilot we've seen. Not much else to mention honestly. One last thing, I found interesting was the fact that Zero Two and Hiro met under a mistletoe. A mistletoe is actually a hemiparasitic plant that takes the nutrients from the host plant. Zero Two sucks the "life" from the partners she meets. Good symbolism for Zero Two.

Some final thoughts as always. Ichigo seems to always want to keep up her brave and bold facade. Hopefully if shit hits the fan she can actually walk the walk. Futoshi is taking his heartbreak with strides, it's admirable. They use the term "saurification" which is really silly, because it's just taking the "saur' part of klaxosaur and adding "ification". I hope this show keeps up its momentum, definitely anime of the year material.

Great analysis, i agree 100% with it
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Apr 1, 2018 4:25 PM
Aug 2017
Ryuuryota said:
kammie7 said:
or I could actually just have an opinion that you don't like.
That may be your opinion on the matter but could it kill you to explain yourself a little more so people don't take it as you're just shitposting lol, why do you think the episode was boring until the end, what was lacking, why don't you like hiro and zero 2 if you're gonna put the time into expressing your opinion you should atleast gives reasons to each negative opinion you had

I didn't give specific reasons because I've already stated them in other threads and don't feel like I need to restate them. But since you actually had the decency to ask why I feel this way I'll answer.

Hiro has very little defining traits that aren't archetypal, this is problem with alot of the characters. 002 is just annoying and a horrible person yet the story expects you to like her. So when she acting out and does something wrong, o don't care because she's always been a jerk. Even if she turns on Hiro which was the most interesting thing I still wouldn't care because he's not an interesting person or one I sympathize with.
Apr 1, 2018 4:33 PM

Feb 2017
kammie7 said:
Ryuuryota said:
That may be your opinion on the matter but could it kill you to explain yourself a little more so people don't take it as you're just shitposting lol, why do you think the episode was boring until the end, what was lacking, why don't you like hiro and zero 2 if you're gonna put the time into expressing your opinion you should atleast gives reasons to each negative opinion you had

I didn't give specific reasons because I've already stated them in other threads and don't feel like I need to restate them. But since you actually had the decency to ask why I feel this way I'll answer.

Hiro has very little defining traits that aren't archetypal, this is problem with alot of the characters. 002 is just annoying and a horrible person yet the story expects you to like her. So when she acting out and does something wrong, o don't care because she's always been a jerk. Even if she turns on Hiro which was the most interesting thing I still wouldn't care because he's not an interesting person or one I sympathize with.
ohh i see, i do agree that he is a pretty generic insert character but there is still 12 episodes and chances for him to develop i don't really like making negative comments about characters until the story is over, 02 seems to be struggling with her anxiety and is obsessive with "trying to become human" when she never will be able to, i mean it's good that her character isn't very generic, i don't mind her being a bitch to people if there is reason in the story for it. I'm not sure if 02 remembers hiro from when they were younger or she is just acting like she doesn't. Maybe your opinion will change by the end of the anime if you stick around to the end, thanks for explaining yourself i now understand your whole opinion on the matter and not taking as just a shitpost off unexplained opinons :o
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Apr 1, 2018 5:16 PM

Mar 2018
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
GranSaiyaman said:

They used to eat together and play around a little bit as far as we know, but I think that's all.

Btw, you don't need to have common interests or thoughts to fall in love, there's not an exact formula for it; you can say that Hiro started to feel attracted to 002 at first and that gave him the ability to pilot the FranXX, and then he realizes he wants to see her happy and not suffering as shown in the 6th episode (if I recall), when he was kinda dying.

Lol, yes you do. You don't have to be similar people, but you need to have things that bind you together, otherwise the relationship is empty. It's one thing to fall in love, and another to stay in love.

I said to fall in love, not to stay in love XD, I'm rooting for a change of 002 attitude because that's the only way I see a future for them two (kind of future, they may as well die at the end)
One day I'll be active here, in the mean time I'll keep track of what I watch offline 😅
Apr 1, 2018 6:25 PM
Nov 2017
Oh boyyyyyy. What an episode. Everyones somewhat now thinking/has the idea of "where did I come from" somewhere in their thoughts...

Ramping up making parasites eh... Interesting.

Zero Two going literally insane over wanting to be human... And Hiro may have a genetic transformation.. Ooft.

Good episode for sure. ;D
Apr 1, 2018 6:39 PM

Dec 2007
let the dark theme set in

Apr 1, 2018 6:59 PM

Jan 2011
poortier_boy said:
I won't say much. I think it's better if I still lurking. But, also, I'm really annoyed with the "wow, sex, that's what makes her a bad character" thing. I come here to see the hits and mistakes that I couldn't see and what I find is prejudice as if it was a damn fucking criticism.

The same happened with poor girl Kokoro last week. She is supposed to be with the cool guy. OH THESE PRETTY GIRLS THEY JUST DATE THE IDIOTS WHY SHE NEVER GIVE A CHANCE FOR A COOL GUY LIKE ME FUCKING SLUT??????

OH MY GOD CAN'T THEY FUCKING SEE I'M SUCH A NICE GUY?

Tennouji said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

I guess my issue is why does he love her? She's hardly a good person, and she doesn't seem to like anything he likes...tho...we hardly know anything about most of the cast. Rather that stupid beach episod, we should've gotten an episode that show us what these kids like to do on a regular basis. What does Mitsuru do when he's not piloting, sleeping, or eating?

Same with Hiro; what does he do? What does 02 do? If she's all about killing klaxosaurs all the time, and they've been around each other this long, then why is their coexistence becoming a problem now? If he's in love with her, what does do that keeps that feeling going? You can say that she allows him to pilot, but that's not all it is. Hiro clearly says that her as a person is what he loves....but she's a b****, for the most part.

This series is all tell, and no show. Hell, it can barely do that. Half way into a 24ep series we've no clue of a central plot of any kind. After Hiro was able to pilot again, his character has just meandered about. Nothing great, plot wise, has happened to progress the story, or lack there of. Why is this series playing up the mystery this f***ing long? It'd be one thing if there was a central plot, but there's not! Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, and Witch Academia did not take this long to get the general, central plot going.

Also, this was billed as sci-fi, mecha action, not a slice of life with those elements, but it's basically being the latter.

This series is so frustrating. BestGuyEver's first impressions video makes more, and more, sense every episode.

Totally agree with you on Hiro "falling in love with" Zero Two. Like, this is the reason why I'm suffocating when this show focuses on Hiro. It'll be always like "Zero Two Zero Two Zero Two Zero Two Zero Two" like what the fuck what does he see on that woman? I may understand if that's because he might be just a kid but holy shit. To be honest, all I see is Hiro is also even using Zero Two because Zero Two is his only partner that he can able to pilot a Franxx so that's why he's so obsessed with her and now he's mistaken to thought that what he's feeling is love, in which that's also frustrating to see. He's just another Mitsuru but at least Mitsuru has his own reasons and his reasons make sense on why he's like that but Hiro? He's just poorly written character. I prefer seeing Shinji whining over and over that he doesn't want to pilot an Evangelion instead of this shitty character named Hiro.

I think it's part of the goody two shoes act. He's like so many other protagonist where he will never abandon or betray the main girl no matter how fucked up she is or how bland. Too many creators focus on creating Jesus characters and when they don't they're either paper thin badasses or perverts. Like a guy can have a personality outside of the whole selfless-in-everything routine.
QWERTYFish25Apr 1, 2018 7:02 PM
Apr 1, 2018 7:03 PM

Dec 2009
GosuGian said:

This hesitation deeply hurts Zero Two. It makes her think that the Hiro she knows now is not the one she knew as a kid. She retaliates later in the episode by calling Hiro fodder. We've seen this type of "tough love" when Ichigo and Zero Two were in the garden. Ichigo doesn't want Hiro to be hurt, but Zero Two disregards his safety altogether. Saying that if he didn't survive, he just didn't amount to much. I feel like Zero Two almost idolizes Hiro in a way. Just like how the other parasites used to idolize him as kids, she kind of sees him as an almost invincible hero. Someone to save her from herself. Makes sense in terms of Zero Two's twisted way of thinking. Something I found interesting was when Zero Two asked Hiro why was he holding her back too. It seems like Zero Two thinks that Ape and Hiro are holding her back from becoming human, but its pretty clear that no matter how many klaxosaurs she kills it'll never make her human. I wonder if that's something that Ape told her would happen if she killed more klaxosaurs. It would definitely make sense since she is possibly the strongest Franxx pilot we've seen. Not much else to mention honestly. One last thing, I found interesting was the fact that Zero Two and Hiro met under a mistletoe. A mistletoe is actually a hemiparasitic plant that takes the nutrients from the host plant. Zero Two sucks the "life" from the partners she meets. Good symbolism for Zero Two.

Loved your comment. I'm really more of the opinion that Zero Two thought this is her real darling from the start, but started doubting it because of his current personality. Not remembering her name and not remembering what she is and their moments together - all that really piled up and made her call him "a fodder" in anger. Especially while he confessed he said something along the lines "I don't care what you are" which might have pushed a button enforcing that he doesn't know what she is. She's expecting him to save her, seeing him as the hero from the childhood, the same as everybody.

But the issue is that he might not have been able to recognize her even with his memories intact. She's now in a human form. Ape fucked her up and only Hiro can save her now by saying her name.

Tomlora said:

- She recognizes him since the beginning, physically or by licking it. (episode 1). That's why she calls him "darling" very suddenly. He's the only one she calls this way .. It's not a coincidence.
> She said "I found you, my darling" (ep1) but also "my darling is unique" (ep 3)
> If Hiro was really a fodder (ep 12), she would not have insisted on flying with him in episode 3 anyway.
> Her actions in episode 4 would make no sense.
- We know Hiro has a memory loss... but I think Zero Two wants him to remember his past... and she tries many times :
> She's looking for a book (ep 12)... It's probably the book we can see at the end (flashback) -> "It's a story about a tribe, here they're being referred to as demons/monsters. They lived peacefully in a forest and have big wings on their back. In that forest there is a girl, she has long grey wings on her back. When they turn 16 years old, they are then allowed to leave this forest by flying away with the help of their wings."
> She "teaches" him the meaning of kiss, love, hand in hand (ep1; ep 3; ep 7)
> Her idea about "running away" several times... (ep 3; ep 7...) Etc..

- We know the result : It didn't work. I think she started to think Hiro isn't her real darling... He looks like him physically, has the same taste... But he's not like him for her.

> Why could she think that ?

It's really simple :

> The answer is here : https://i.gyazo.com/6fe8e08097108582ed87d153f7b33f87.png ....
Zero Two doesn't recognize his behaviour, and on the other hand, Hiro can't prove he's her "real darling" because he hasn't currently memories about her in the past.
>She's really sad because her timing is close to be out. Hiro was her hope, but not anymore. He is now a stamen like the others.

Now, we have this situation : https://i.gyazo.com/e35578040f08c8ce9068aa46d9e6f21d.png
Mitsuru's sentence makes perfect sense here -> https://i.gyazo.com/54e7b3e274b8cec95af0c4e9a3054896.png
She sees Hiro like a normal stamen, and she wants him to undergo the same treatment to achieve her dream. And maybe worse as he has survived more than three times.

Now, we come to the famous flashback at the end, which refers also to this part : https://i.gyazo.com/648d56b49463c44b674cd137263edbd5.png . Hiro will remember everything, and then, he will prove he's her "real" darling. "Hope will be reborn" It is possible that he also changes his behavior ... whether he becomes a greater leader, or that his "prodigy" status makes him stronger. We must not forget that he was originally chosen to be a leader.

What happens next?
I think she will understand this time that she can not become human ... It will be sad because it's her darling who will... break her dream.

What is the remaining solution? That Hiro is no longer entirely human.

I believe you're the one nearest to the truth.
hardrock13Apr 1, 2018 7:07 PM
Apr 1, 2018 7:35 PM
Oct 2017
Thank you Tremekaka on Reddit as you explain is perfect. Their are tid bits of my thoughs in their too.

For the people arguing that if Hiro is actually 02's Darling or not, here are my thoughts on the matter:

I'm inclined to think that Hiro is 02's Darling because of all the problems they've been through just to stay together. If she just really wanted to use stamen after stamen and keep killing klaxosaurs to become "human", she was better staying on the front lines as a member of the elite squat nine. She was very valuable there, probably because they needed to face stronger enemies and also in more quantities. Providing stamens to her wasn't going to be really an issue because even APE said that there was a lot of men willing to be her partner.

Said so, I think her intentions were always driven by the romantic feelings she has to Hiro, and all of the problems that are surfacing right now is because she feels insecure and betrayed by her Darling.

We know that since Hiro gave her the mirror, she's been acting weird and started to pay more attention to her physical changes, reminding her that she's actually not human and that probably is doomed to transform into a monster. Hiro being surprised by how her fangs have grown, and denying her kiss, it was what ended up destroying her self-steem and what made her believe that the current Hiro doesn't really love this side of her. (My edit: Her being rejected and etc. I think that is what caused her to bring back her orginal goal, be human and find her original darling in which we can presume that is Hiro as she seemed content to just be with Hiro untill recently. Thougj, 002 is a hard one pin down so anything about her can quickly become denied or canon.)

There are people suggesting that she may have gotten her memory altered after the recent tests, so these reactions from her are the direct cause of said tests, but I don't think so. We have proof that she perfectly knows who is Hiro when she was about to "teach" him what comes after kissing (recalling the kiss they had in the first episode), and then what she said to him when he tried to stop her fighting the klaxosaurs: "Why? Why are you getting in my way, too, darling?". (My own thoughts, this could also back up why 002 calls Hiro fodder, she once saw him as something more but since the rejection and etc, she now sees him as that, fodder and not because of memory loss.) This also would explain 02 feeling betrayed by Hiro, because he has tried to stop her two times already (first one in episode 11, and 2nd this episode), meaning that she thinks she doesn't have the same support that Hiro has been providing the episodes before.

Now, if we have to consider 02 using Hiro for her own selfish porpuses, I think we have to take a look first at the beach episode where she was about to kiss Hiro, then she just licked him and said "Were you expecting a kiss? A kiss is a declaration that the other person belongs to you. So you should only kiss the person you love, okay?". At first, I felt weird by her words, but then I didn't pay too much attention to it and just thought she was just playing with Hiro and waiting for him to kiss her in return, but considering the current episode, those words could be a foreshadowing of her manipulating Hiro. Even Dr. Franxx said that Hiro may be the one that could make 02's wish come true (wish that could mean she finally being accepted and loved, or something else that we don't know yet). She making the decision to stay with Hiro could be influenced by the fact that this team is (implied) the favourite of Dr. Franxx, and that they all are inexperienced kids and their squad leader is weak, giving her more freedom at the moment of action.

Here are my thoughts...
That Hiro is the original partner, shown in the scene right before the OP in episode 1 as the person walking looks like Hiro and in the flashbacks though there is a chance that is isn't. Also that the book shown in 002's memories and that book she is looking for relates to the beginning scene in ep 1. The Japanese written in the book could explain what was going on. If you don't know what the book said, just look on reddit and I am hoping to hope you can connect the scene and book words yourself. If you can't, reply and I'll explain.
Most likely, Hiro ad 002 did get their memory erased, just not as recently as others speculate but rather further in the past when they were young. As 002 and Hiro do not recognize each other through this could be because Hiro and 002 have met when they were young and now they are older though I think they would recognize each other sooner if that was the case. Also before we see Hiro's memories of the past, we see 002's as he says before it happens, "the knowledge of someone else is following inside of me." So we can assume that the first couple memories are 002's and that when the picture book is shown, there is a black hand. This can show that 002 has forgotten her original darling and memories erased. Plus Goro did say, "Normally no one would be allowed to go back to the garden, however that Hiro is the only one that was brought back when they were younger." When Hiro was brought back, his and 002's memories were altered, though not wiped since she still remembers something about him, as she knows that they were the original and read her a book. Plus him being memory wiped/alerted could be why he forgot Mitsuru's promise.
He could possibly be able to withstand 002's life sucking because of all the extra tests and possibly knowing 002 from before.
RanWingedApr 1, 2018 10:14 PM
Apr 1, 2018 9:03 PM
Apr 2017
GosuGian said:
That was a fun episode. We got some theory confirmation, some world building, some Zero Two backstory, some fighting, and a love confession by Hiro. Still haven't gotten to the Grand Crevasse but we'll get there eventually. Lets start by talking about the Garden. It seems like potential Franxx pilots come to the Garden and are injected with dosages of yellow blood cells. We don't know if all children in the Darling in the Franxx universe are sent there, but it seems like a large portion of them probably are. The "Nursery Lab 3" that we see on Zorome's and Mitsuru's profiles is actually a research facility within the Garden itself and it seems that certain parasites are brought there for special experimentation. Only members of the group that have been there are Mitsuru, Hiro, and Zero Two. We know that Mitsuru was there for his Elixer Injection, but as for Hiro, we still don't know what makes him special. We can assume that Zero Two may have spent most of her time there as a child because of her klaxosaur blood. It has been confirmed in this episode that the red-skinned child from the intro is Zero Two, in what we can assume to be her "klaxosaur form". I'll talk more about her later. We can see that the kids at the Garden are being given yellow blood cell injections way earlier than what Kokoro seems to think is normal. The worker at the Garden explains that it is because of increased klaxosaur activity, and a need for capable and obedient pilots. This is worrying, because this implies that those young kids are possibly being partnered up, put into Franxx's, and being sent off to die fighting klaxosaurs. Talk about living fast and dying young. Not much else to gather from the Garden itself. Like the name entails, it's a parasite development facility. Some small things to note are that all the plantations seem to be convening at the Grand Crevasse which means we can probably expect a large battle pretty soon. This would explain why they need to churn out more Franxx pilots as well. It's clear at this point that none of the kids become adults, and that many of them may actually turn into klaxosaurs. (More on this later.) The group is still unaware of their mission to the Grand Crevasse. Ape probably isn't telling them, because of the likeliness of many of them dying. It would definitely be sad to see any of them die.

Now we come to one of the biggest questions in the series, what are yellow blood cells? These made up cells have been a question for debate since the beginning of the series and even at episode 12 we still don't know much of anything. This episode gives us a few more clues. At 9:27 we can see the injections that the kids are given are labeled AG-YBC. A possible meaning for this could be antigen-yellow blood cell. I think it's becoming more and more clear that these yellow blood cells are not naturally occurring.They are introduced to the kids at a young age to make them suitable for piloting the Franxx and it's probably because their young bodies are more open to biological change. There are a lot of theories as for what the yellow blood cells could be, but I hypothesize that they are antigens synthesized from klaxosaur blood. An antigen is basically just a foreign substance that causes an immune response inside the body. We can see that when Hiro had the blue growth on his chest he had an increased yellow blood cell count, but a normal amount of white blood cells. (No sign of an antigen or infection) This made me think that when the children are given the yellow blood cell injections they are in a way building up an immunity to the YBC's. Think of it like building an immunity to a venom. It's possible that if the kids don't have a strong enough immunity to YBC's, they are given the Elixer Injection like Mitsuru. If they die during the elixer injection it's ok for the society because that means they wont turn into a klaxosaur or "monster" like Zero Two. I think this what all the adults mean when the refer to the children being infected. They are infected with the yellow blood cell antigen making it possible for them to turn into klaxosaurs. A possible side effect of having the yellow blood cells would be an inability to reach adulthood. It's not out of the question. I also theorize that Ape came to Dr Franxx for help in an attempt to fight against the klaxosaurs. Through some unknown means, Dr Franxx took the blood of the klaxosaurs and synthesized the yellow blood cells from it. These injections were then given to kids so that they could pilot the Franxx. Now this is a stretch, but it seems like the Franxx's are actually former klaxosaurs that were turned into pilotable mechs by Dr. Franxx and others. It's the only reason I could think of as to why the kids need to go through such intensive preparation before piloting the Franxx's. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to connect to the Franxx's in the first place. This show draws many parallels to Evangelion, (especially with their art direction and symbols). In Evangelion the Eva's are former angels with the souls of each pilots mothers within them ( that is why Shinji and Asuka are able to pilot their Eva's). In Darling in the Franxx, the Franxx are former klaxosaurs that are only able to be piloted by people that have a high YBC. This would also explain why Zero Two can pilot the Franxx so well, she has the highest YBC out of any of the pilots. This also explains why when the Franxx's enter their "stampede mode" they look so similar to klaxosaurs. Especially with the X-shaped eyes and toothed mouth. Once we find more out about the YBC's I think it'll unravel most of the mysteries within the story.

I made a theory last episode about how Hiro had his memory wiped as a child. This theory still holds, but it also seems possible that Hiro might not have been the only one. All the kids at the Garden seemed to share the same blank expression as he did after his possible memory wipe. Maybe they perform some type of psychological conditioning to keep them from being rebellious, but it wouldn't explain the loss of memory. Not enough evidence to add to this theory, unlike the YBC theory. We now see the entirety if the Nine, and the group itself is strange. There are three grey-haired girls that look like triplets. I wonder if they could be clones. We still don't know how the children are actually created. The clone theory that has been lingering around in the community still could happen. We know for sure that wherever Naomi was being sent, she would have probably of been killed anyway. I still believe that she's dead, but I'm sure other people still have hope.

Now onto the the star of the episode, Zero Two. I had made a theory about how Zero Two suffers from an attachment disorder and this causes her to be uxoricidal in a comment before, but now I don't know. She could have an anxiety disorder from her excessive nail biting, irritability, and being always on edge but her actions counteract this. Zero Two is a really difficult to deconstruct unlike the other pilots, but I've come to the conclusion that she definitely has a body dysmorphic disorder. She perceives her own body as flawed and thinks about it almost constantly. This has caused her to perceive herself as a monster, which in turn has caused her to have constant emotional distress. This explains why she can't confront herself in a mirror, and why she can't confront Hiro about it. This is just a theory though. Something I found to be a key moment in Zero Two's mental deterioration is when she asks Hiro to kiss her. During the scene we can see that Hiro shows a moment of fear, one that Zero Two picks up on and this causes her to retreat. I believe that it is this fear that is causing all the issues we see by the end of the episode. This hesitation deeply hurts Zero Two. It makes her think that the Hiro she knows now is not the one she knew as a kid. She retaliates later in the episode by calling Hiro fodder. We've seen this type of "tough love" when Ichigo and Zero Two were in the garden. Ichigo doesn't want Hiro to be hurt, but Zero Two disregards his safety altogether. Saying that if he didn't survive, he just didn't amount to much. I feel like Zero Two almost idolizes Hiro in a way. Just like how the other parasites used to idolize him as kids, she kind of sees him as an almost invincible hero. Someone to save her from herself. Makes sense in terms of Zero Two's twisted way of thinking. Something I found interesting was when Zero Two asked Hiro why was he holding her back too. It seems like Zero Two thinks that Ape and Hiro are holding her back from becoming human, but its pretty clear that no matter how many klaxosaurs she kills it'll never make her human. I wonder if that's something that Ape told her would happen if she killed more klaxosaurs. It would definitely make sense since she is possibly the strongest Franxx pilot we've seen. Not much else to mention honestly. One last thing, I found interesting was the fact that Zero Two and Hiro met under a mistletoe. A mistletoe is actually a hemiparasitic plant that takes the nutrients from the host plant. Zero Two sucks the "life" from the partners she meets. Good symbolism for Zero Two.

Some final thoughts as always. Ichigo seems to always want to keep up her brave and bold facade. Hopefully if shit hits the fan she can actually walk the walk. Futoshi is taking his heartbreak with strides, it's admirable. They use the term "saurification" which is really silly, because it's just taking the "saur' part of klaxosaur and adding "ification". I hope this show keeps up its momentum, definitely anime of the year material.

i feel like becoming an anituber (youtube anime channel) that reviews anime would be a much better use of your talents. if you have the time to write HUGE essay like this, im sure you have the time to put it together as a video. and i would definitely watch and subscribe.
Apr 1, 2018 9:26 PM

Oct 2017
Finally...I have been waiting for this. This show has had a ton of potential from the start, but only within the past 2-3 episodes did we finally trade in the awkward innuendos for genuine rich plot development. I'm super excited to see where this continues to go, and I'm even more excited that MC finally grew a pair and is taking charge now; I was afraid he was going to be oblivious and winy while his pink haired girlfriend pushed him around the whole series...*cough* I'm looking at you Future Diary.
Apr 1, 2018 9:58 PM
Jul 2014
FireandIce said:
Finally...I have been waiting for this. This show has had a ton of potential from the start, but only within the past 2-3 episodes did we finally trade in the awkward innuendos for genuine rich plot development. I'm super excited to see where this continues to go, and I'm even more excited that MC finally grew a pair and is taking charge now; I was afraid he was going to be oblivious and winy while his pink haired girlfriend pushed him around the whole series...*cough* I'm looking at you Future Diary.

The manga differs quite a bit. It's Hiro who pilots in episode 3-4 when they're on their first mission, and he's much more confident. The manga essentially blends much of the character development that takes place between episodes 3-6 into three chapters while skipping over most of the fights, ending where Zero-Two formally moves in with the rest of the squad and Hiro's infection. Also, much like a certain other pink-haired girl from Yabuki Kentaro's works, 002 quickly develops a bad habit of sneaking into her darling's bed unannounced.
Apr 1, 2018 11:34 PM
Apr 2016
Ryuseishun said:
Shokugeki said:
Looks like things are picking up this episode plot-wise. Hopefully they resolve this thing between Hiro and Zero Two next ep

On a side note:

I personally think Kokoro and Mitsuru click well together, tbh....and for now, it seems like a necessity considering the lack of connection between mitsuru and his previous partner

I agree with you, but she did do her previous partner bogus by breaking her promise to him.
Apr 1, 2018 11:35 PM

Jun 2013
So.. this wasn't supposed to be a big plot reveal right? I mean they literally showed that Zero-Two was the red demon chick during the first scene of the first episode. Maybe people forgot about that since it was before Zero-Two was even introduced, but still I think this should not come as a surprise for anyone.

I know it's not gonna happen, but I wanna see an ending where they both turn into demons and rule together. Those types of endings are rare, I've only seen it in
Apr 2, 2018 12:01 AM
Apr 2017
hey everyone from neon genesis evangelion to darling in the franxx ... it has come full circle

Apr 2, 2018 12:29 AM

Jun 2013
YukiJudai_100 said:
hey everyone from neon genesis evangelion to darling in the franxx ... it has come full circle

Really it was more like the dummy plug system than anything, the way she came up from the cockpit bent backwards and pinned him.. straight out of Eva.

Also, Sidonia wants their glowing red naked demon version of love interest randomly popping up in cockpit and attacking MC as he is fighting with her while piloting back.

Weird how specific these things get.
ex_necrossApr 2, 2018 12:36 AM
Apr 2, 2018 12:40 AM

Feb 2018
hardrock13 said:

Tomlora said:

-

Thanks for reading :)
TomloraApr 2, 2018 1:04 AM
Apr 2, 2018 12:44 AM

Jun 2012
Tomlora said:
hardrock13 said:

Yes, of course you're the nearest to the truth. And I also believe you're correct. I believe he's going to become insanely overpowered next episode and beyond. The children from this group are going to rebel against "papa" and that's fairly obvious if you can tell from the mental state of the kids compared to the other groups. And they call Hiro the "special specimen" I'd actually bet money that him losing memories is what made him unable to pilot with anyone else.

Feels like this episode is long overdue and kind of late. So we basically have 11-12 episodes for them to literally rebel and everything............ Not enough time. So I'm pretty sure there's going to be a second season. This Anime isn't long enough to fill in all of the questions.. It's been WAY too slow. So many people are theorycrafting but what I said is pretty much going to happen.. There's a lot of Eureka Seven references that leads to rebellion in this Anime actually.

The worst theory I've seen so far is.. Zero Two flees from Hiro and joins back with the Nine or whatever they're called and we have a arc where Hiro just tries to get her back or some shit.. A timeskip or whatever. LMAO. That would literally destroy the ratings of this show though.
SasoraApr 2, 2018 12:49 AM
Apr 2, 2018 1:56 AM
Apr 2018

Futoshi told her love while they were guarding a construction against anytime appear-able enemies, while sitting in a robot. Kokoro's persona is to have good terms with everyone, not want to heart-break, so she gave a promise, because there is a vague coercion there, so the promise is not certain and genuine. Could Futoshi talk like that if his partner was Ikuno, Ichigo or Miku? I think Mitsuru deserved that fist indirectly.

You might have a point but two problems. He didn't do it maliciously, he was being honest about his feelings and without her opening up and communicating he CAN"T know what he did wrong. So until she talks to him. He deserves and explanation and a proper apology from Koko. Also, who cares who Koko ends up with? She is one of the most unlikable characters in the series.
Apr 2, 2018 6:26 AM

Sep 2014
What was that? A GOOD EPISODE AGAIN? I thought they had gone extinct!

At some point when I rewatch this I will just skip ep 7-11. I already recommend people to only watch to ep6 and 12+ again. This would be the first time (maybe aside from how death note ended but that case was rather special) I have this feeling about how to watch a show (Yes I even like to watch endless eight completely)

PS: I was expecting something like this, but I still think 02 is not actually as bad as this ep tried to make her look. I guess she is just desperate now

if they play it right (and trigger and a1 totally have the skills to imo, atleast thats what I want to think) this could still end up as an amazing anime
Comander-07Apr 2, 2018 6:31 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 2, 2018 7:22 AM

Apr 2008
I am going to make a prediction, that during episode 13 our beloved idiot will remember what he has forgotten (probably due to medical procedures). Which will probably include the name he gave 02 when they first met.
He will then proceed to squeeze out her name with his last breath, which will in turn shock 02 to the core and snap her out of her berserking state.

Comander-07 said:

if they play it right (and trigger and a1 totally have the skills to imo, atleast thats what I want to think) this could still end up as an amazing anime

No, not even if their life depended on it. Do you remember Aldnoah.Zero and how they botched that show? Not to mention sinking the main ship in one episode. The ending for this show will probably be some kind of mixture between Deadman Wonderland and Eureka Seven. It will probably be as bad as the ending of Guilty Crown.
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Apr 2, 2018 7:49 AM

Sep 2016
Woah this just went dark. And I can't wait for more!

I can't wait to see how they show their past linked and who knows what will happen to Hiro next.

Can't wait.
Apr 2, 2018 10:41 AM
Oct 2017
I think 02 will die in the end and at that moment she will come to know about her real darling who is hiro.. and at her death, she will say something like .."I have finally found you, darling."
Apr 2, 2018 1:04 PM

May 2014
This episode wasn't all that great. I really hated how necessarily dramatic it was.
The other squad seems interesting, though. I also hope the kids find out how babies are made, lol.
It pains me to say that Zero Two is kinda letting me down at this point, she seemed more interesting in the beginning.
Apr 2, 2018 5:09 PM
Jul 2018
You better watch out Goro or Nova from Space Patrol Luluco will steal your girl!

OT: too slow of a build up for a revelation that was already pretty apparent with some scenes shown in previous episodes.. still was a decent episode, the highlight for me was the whole part were 02 just blutely says that she views Hiro has nothing more then fodder :)
Apr 2, 2018 8:29 PM
Jul 2015
blazehero said:
Not the time to confess Hiro...

Goro and Zorome jealous of blonde Nines, he is going to NTR the entire cast and I'll love it.

LOL now you mention it I remember one Japanese site where the Author said he didn't like the MC of one harem series so he wrote a fanfic where his own created MC NTRs all the female cast of the source material that's supposed to develop romantic feelings for the Source MC.

I don't like NTR so I only prefer it if 2 harem groups are formed instead with assigned grills for each male lead, as you all can read from my sig below.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Apr 2, 2018 9:49 PM

Oct 2008
Damn Awesome episode!
Zero Two is slowly becoming a rampaging Celestial Demon Monster lolz!
Zero Two is becoming more uncontrollable!
looks like Hiro is entering memories of a different person!
Hiro already met with Zero Two in the past!? well i'm slow with these things...hard to predict, i'll just check-out the guess of others but avoid spoilers of course.
5/5.

Apr 2, 2018 11:00 PM

Mar 2010
tfw Zero Two is so concerned with her outward appearance that it's causing her to self harm and go insane when that in itself is a very human trait especially for teenage girls.

It ok Zero Two, you're more human than you think.

srsly Hiro; getting scared by her horns and fangs is probably half the reason why she's feeling like she isn't human enough.

also on the convenient memory loss driving the current drama, I swear this plot device to manufacture drama is overused as fuck in anime >.>
Apr 3, 2018 12:03 AM

Aug 2013
002 is in such an odd place right now.

Like, on one hand you want to be pissed at her because she snapped and is treating Hiro like shit, which she has basically been doing since they officially partnered but kind of reached the boiling point this episode. She's pretty open about not giving a fuck about him and using him as fodder.

On the other hand, she's doing it all to reunite with her "old darling"...which we know from the flickers of Hiro's memory starting to return is in fact himself, and she just doesnt realize it.

Also interesting to see that even though 002 seemed like she knew all of this information about how people are really supposed to be like, even she doesnt know what love is. She thought it was nothing more than kissing and sex. She gave Hiro full permission to blow his load lol.

I wonder who put the idea of killing klaxosaurs to become human in 002's head...was it her own idea? Or did Papa plant that idea in her to get her to fight?

I'm curious as to what experiment was conducted on Hiro to make him lose his memories. Was it the same experiment as everyone else and it just had an adverse effect on him? Or did he get some other procedure because he's a special case? Perhaps this experiment done on him is one of the reasons hes gradually becoming closer to a non-human like 002. (which is something we all speculated since the early episodes and has now been confirmed with Ichigo's spying). Does everyone else have the potential to mutate like this as well?

I wonder if Mitsuru will die in the show. It seems like that experiment to make him a better parasite is the cause of his sickness and fever lately. And Nana talking even said the treatment for him was just a temporary measure. Perhaps they'll pull a stunt like Hiro getting his memories back and talking to Mitsuru and he forgives him and then ends up dying at the end.
Jonesy974Apr 3, 2018 12:09 AM
Apr 3, 2018 12:15 AM

Aug 2013
GosuGian said:

Pretty sure you're completely overthinking 002 on this. The nail biting? It's because they're turning into claws and she keeps trying to bite them down. You could see the nails on her feet were growing as well. The irritability? It's because she's becoming more like her original monster self and she hates it. And with that also comes a more animalistic personality. There's no need to go so far as trying to psychologically diagnose her with a body dysmorphia disorder. It's way more simple than that. She's not human. She's literally a monster and she's well aware of it and strives to be human. Young Hiro probably considered her a human regardless just like he does now and it gave her the goal of wanting to be an ideal human for him. She doesnt "hate her body", she hates the fact that she isnt human.
Apr 3, 2018 6:00 AM
Feb 2014
GosuGian said:
That was a fun episode. We got some theory confirmation, some world building, some Zero Two backstory, some fighting, and a love confession by Hiro. Still haven't gotten to the Grand Crevasse but we'll get there eventually. Lets start by talking about the Garden. It seems like potential Franxx pilots come to the Garden and are injected with dosages of yellow blood cells. We don't know if all children in the Darling in the Franxx universe are sent there, but it seems like a large portion of them probably are. The "Nursery Lab 3" that we see on Zorome's and Mitsuru's profiles is actually a research facility within the Garden itself and it seems that certain parasites are brought there for special experimentation. Only members of the group that have been there are Mitsuru, Hiro, and Zero Two. We know that Mitsuru was there for his Elixer Injection, but as for Hiro, we still don't know what makes him special. We can assume that Zero Two may have spent most of her time there as a child because of her klaxosaur blood. It has been confirmed in this episode that the red-skinned child from the intro is Zero Two, in what we can assume to be her "klaxosaur form". I'll talk more about her later. We can see that the kids at the Garden are being given yellow blood cell injections way earlier than what Kokoro seems to think is normal. The worker at the Garden explains that it is because of increased klaxosaur activity, and a need for capable and obedient pilots. This is worrying, because this implies that those young kids are possibly being partnered up, put into Franxx's, and being sent off to die fighting klaxosaurs. Talk about living fast and dying young. Not much else to gather from the Garden itself. Like the name entails, it's a parasite development facility. Some small things to note are that all the plantations seem to be convening at the Grand Crevasse which means we can probably expect a large battle pretty soon. This would explain why they need to churn out more Franxx pilots as well. It's clear at this point that none of the kids become adults, and that many of them may actually turn into klaxosaurs. (More on this later.) The group is still unaware of their mission to the Grand Crevasse. Ape probably isn't telling them, because of the likeliness of many of them dying. It would definitely be sad to see any of them die.

Now we come to one of the biggest questions in the series, what are yellow blood cells? These made up cells have been a question for debate since the beginning of the series and even at episode 12 we still don't know much of anything. This episode gives us a few more clues. At 9:27 we can see the injections that the kids are given are labeled AG-YBC. A possible meaning for this could be antigen-yellow blood cell. I think it's becoming more and more clear that these yellow blood cells are not naturally occurring.They are introduced to the kids at a young age to make them suitable for piloting the Franxx and it's probably because their young bodies are more open to biological change. There are a lot of theories as for what the yellow blood cells could be, but I hypothesize that they are antigens synthesized from klaxosaur blood. An antigen is basically just a foreign substance that causes an immune response inside the body. We can see that when Hiro had the blue growth on his chest he had an increased yellow blood cell count, but a normal amount of white blood cells. (No sign of an antigen or infection) This made me think that when the children are given the yellow blood cell injections they are in a way building up an immunity to the YBC's. Think of it like building an immunity to a venom. It's possible that if the kids don't have a strong enough immunity to YBC's, they are given the Elixer Injection like Mitsuru. If they die during the elixer injection it's ok for the society because that means they wont turn into a klaxosaur or "monster" like Zero Two. I think this what all the adults mean when the refer to the children being infected. They are infected with the yellow blood cell antigen making it possible for them to turn into klaxosaurs. A possible side effect of having the yellow blood cells would be an inability to reach adulthood. It's not out of the question. I also theorize that Ape came to Dr Franxx for help in an attempt to fight against the klaxosaurs. Through some unknown means, Dr Franxx took the blood of the klaxosaurs and synthesized the yellow blood cells from it. These injections were then given to kids so that they could pilot the Franxx. Now this is a stretch, but it seems like the Franxx's are actually former klaxosaurs that were turned into pilotable mechs by Dr. Franxx and others. It's the only reason I could think of as to why the kids need to go through such intensive preparation before piloting the Franxx's. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to connect to the Franxx's in the first place. This show draws many parallels to Evangelion, (especially with their art direction and symbols). In Evangelion the Eva's are former angels with the souls of each pilots mothers within them ( that is why Shinji and Asuka are able to pilot their Eva's). In Darling in the Franxx, the Franxx are former klaxosaurs that are only able to be piloted by people that have a high YBC. This would also explain why Zero Two can pilot the Franxx so well, she has the highest YBC out of any of the pilots. This also explains why when the Franxx's enter their "stampede mode" they look so similar to klaxosaurs. Especially with the X-shaped eyes and toothed mouth. Once we find more out about the YBC's I think it'll unravel most of the mysteries within the story.

I made a theory last episode about how Hiro had his memory wiped as a child. This theory still holds, but it also seems possible that Hiro might not have been the only one. All the kids at the Garden seemed to share the same blank expression as he did after his possible memory wipe. Maybe they perform some type of psychological conditioning to keep them from being rebellious, but it wouldn't explain the loss of memory. Not enough evidence to add to this theory, unlike the YBC theory. We now see the entirety if the Nine, and the group itself is strange. There are three grey-haired girls that look like triplets. I wonder if they could be clones. We still don't know how the children are actually created. The clone theory that has been lingering around in the community still could happen. We know for sure that wherever Naomi was being sent, she would have probably of been killed anyway. I still believe that she's dead, but I'm sure other people still have hope.

This is a great analysis, and I believe it'll turn out to be extremely accurate in the end.

As for my thoughts on this episode. Hiro sees the misstletoe tree and remembers he met a girl there, but he can't pinpoint exactly who that girl is and can't make the connection, and you can't really fault him because that girl doesn't look anything like the Zero Two we know. Afterwards, when they are in the Franxx and he sees Zero Two memories(most likely via some linking/syncing technology of the Franxx) , he confirms that the girl is indeed Zero Two. I am not really a fan of the memory wipe theory to be honest, but there is some memory loss present, that's for sure. We can either attribute it to him just forgetting it if their meeting happened a long time ago and it was brief, or that he went through some kind of psychological trauma during that time and in turn his memories of that time were blurry. APE wiping his memories clean is still a possibility, but in my opinion, the least likely to have happened and the most far fetched.

Regarding Zero Two, I assumed that she knew Hiro was the boy she met when she was a child, since it was heavily hinted since episode one when she licked him. However, after this episode, I am not 100% sure anymore. Two possible scenarios branch out from here. She either didn't make the connection that he is that boy and jumped into the opportunity to just use him to further her own goals(which kinda seems out of place to me), or that she knows he is the boy she met, but he's changed so much that she barely recognizes him(my bet is on this one). Whatever the case, the possibility at this point for her "darling" to be someone else is zero. Hopefully, after the memory exchange inside the Franxx in the last episode, we'll get some real resolution on the subject.

The most interesting point you bring up is the attachment issue, and I really believe that's the case here. Zero Two was kept isolated, probably heavily experimented upon, bullied by her fellow Franxx pilots due to her appearance/blood/abilities and all she's known in life is fighting and killing Klaxosaurs. It's a harsh life. This whole situation, since birth, gave her a grim outlook on life. She felt she didn't belong and she was essentially a chained monster only to be used by APE to achieve their own goals. Except this one moment that she briefly met this one boy and he seemed to genuinely care about her and wasn't intimidated by her. That was probably the first and only time in her life she experienced acceptance and affection. I would go even futher speculating that young naive Hiro even made her a promise to set her free or something. Basically, fullfiling the the girl's inner desires(acceptance and freedom). Hiro was her only glimmer of hope to be frank. And since then, she basically put Hiro on a pedestral, which is kinda naive of her, but given her experiences in life and the dystopian society led by the authoritarian Papa is totally understandable. Granted that she knows Hiro is the boy from back then, she is very disappointed at this point and just like Mitsuru she feels betrayed. She is maybe now starting to realize her childish naive way of thinking and that Hiro is no god and he can't magically make her wishes come true. There is certainly some conflict inside of her. She clearly is mad at herself for believing such childish things, but she is still in denial and can't come in grips with the fact that there is a possibility Hiro won't fullfill her desires. The result of this is to shift the blame on Hiro and take it all out on him. She goes on and on about how much she wants to become human, but I think she doesn't really want that(or maybe it's better to say "need that") even if it was possible, she just wants somewhere to belong and feel accepted and fullfull her emotional needs. And her whole mischievous and rebellious personality is the result of her desire to be get away from APE, the dystopian society and the fighting.
Apr 3, 2018 10:04 AM

Dec 2009
I think that there's no doubt that Hiro is her original darling at this point.

FireandIce said:

Oh yeah, it kinda has been so long. I'm glad we finally get to see more.
Oh man, like you, I was really afraid that Hiro will be a whiny piece of crap, and I'm really happy his balls are only growing. From the moment he stepped up in front of her to defend her from that other squad leader when he moved towards her threatening, I realized that he's gonna take charge.

firemagnet said:
The manga differs quite a bit. It's Hiro who pilots in episode 3-4 when they're on their first mission, and he's much more confident. The manga essentially blends much of the character development that takes place between episodes 3-6 into three chapters while skipping over most of the fights, ending where Zero-Two formally moves in with the rest of the squad and Hiro's infection. Also, much like a certain other pink-haired girl from Yabuki Kentaro's works, 002 quickly develops a bad habit of sneaking into her darling's bed unannounced.

Really glad manga is different. Haven't checked it out yet.
If Hiro is more confident - that's only better.
Wow! So awesome that Kentaro did that! I really wanted to see her sneaking in his bed in the anime and actually expected that to happen. Does Hiro at least behave different that the wussy Rito?

ex_necross said:
I know it's not gonna happen, but I wanna see an ending where they both turn into demons and rule together. Those types of endings are rare, I've only seen it in

I'm still believing that could happen.

Sasora said:
Tomlora said:

Yes, of course you're the nearest to the truth. And I also believe you're correct. I believe he's going to become insanely overpowered next episode and beyond. The children from this group are going to rebel against "papa" and that's fairly obvious if you can tell from the mental state of the kids compared to the other groups. And they call Hiro the "special specimen" I'd actually bet money that him losing memories is what made him unable to pilot with anyone else.

Feels like this episode is long overdue and kind of late. So we basically have 11-12 episodes for them to literally rebel and everything............ Not enough time. So I'm pretty sure there's going to be a second season. This Anime isn't long enough to fill in all of the questions.. It's been WAY too slow. So many people are theorycrafting but what I said is pretty much going to happen.. There's a lot of Eureka Seven references that leads to rebellion in this Anime actually.

Yep, you might be right with the overpowerness and the rebellion, because it really showed us hints for that, and maybe Dr. FranXX himself wants a rebellion, taking in account how he hides stuff from Papas.
Regarding the slowness - I agree. Judging by how they're taking their time with the show, a second season is imminent. I'm also betting on a small cliffhanger ending for this season. Hope Yabuki Kentaro delivers with the manga.
Apr 3, 2018 5:17 PM

Apr 2012
LOL Iota, i live near there! She should have been named Eunice, though, nicer town and a slightly funnier name. I think this is Hiro #2, 02 killed Hiro #1 when when they were both 5-ish. That's why Hiro "forgot" the promise he made Mitsuru. Papa/APE just cloned him. Didn't Hiro mention they were orphans? Also, wasn't 02's pistil in episode 1 an adult?
Apr 3, 2018 5:28 PM

Dec 2015
Finally we have the first great episode of this series. Hope it mantains it's quality. And please, for the love of god, let's stop this "supporting couples" bullshit and just enjoy the show ok?
Apr 3, 2018 6:05 PM

Oct 2017
Holy shit, I'm so glad that this show is finally starting to pick up more. I was so disappointed with this show for the past several episodes.
Apr 3, 2018 9:02 PM
Jul 2014
hardrock13 said:

firemagnet said:

Really glad manga is different. Haven't checked it out yet.
If Hiro is more confident - that's only better.
Wow! So awesome that Kentaro did that! I really wanted to see her sneaking in his bed in the anime and actually expected that to happen. Does Hiro at least behave different that the wussy Rito?

Yes, to a degree. He's definitely more headstrong and confident of his place and what he wants when compared to Rito, but Hiro reacts much the same when he streches out his arm only to find himself clutching Zero-Two's bosom. Which is to say that he recoils instantly and all but jumps out of bed with a half-shocked, half embarrassed look on his face. It doesn't help that Goro and a few of the other guys are there, too.
Apr 4, 2018 12:36 AM

Jun 2014
Good episode. I think people aren't giving it enough patience. They want a concrete narrative as soon as possible, but sometimes the narrative is supposed to be confusing to serve a purpose.

Let's see how it wraps up in the next few episodes.

Apr 4, 2018 1:10 AM

May 2016
The direction where the episode leads is pretty interesting, but I'd say it's a bit predictable? The things about that horny madman scientist, APE, 002 and Hiro, Garden--- well, other stuff too. The conclusions I'm coming to are that 002's darling is actually Hiro (pretty obvious tbh), and that Garden (also the Papa boi) is into some messed up management.
Apr 4, 2018 6:41 AM
Mar 2018
I've asked this before, but is it wrong that I find zerotwo sexier now? and possibly in the future if it's going to be predictable after that ending?
I don't know why some people are saying episodes like this, and the one with the adult's home doesn't have any solid plot or anything, it's dripfeeding the plot nearly constantly, there are a few more things that seem more obvious in this one though, with it's own question. it seems to me that zerotwo was found, not made to kill the klax. as for her "original" darling? that's the mystery! it's gonna be one of the things to keep me watching this weekend
Apr 4, 2018 9:33 AM
Mar 2018
Captiaanuniverse said:
I've asked this before, but is it wrong that I find zerotwo sexier now?

She is. Just look at these sexy feet

Apr 4, 2018 4:17 PM
Jun 2017
I think the plot is really strong and it's getting stronger. The episode makes many questions and probably we will get interesting answers in the following episodes. I hope so.
<3
Apr 4, 2018 4:36 PM
Mar 2018
This plot is just a mess ...
I just wanna know how zero two's previous behavior is able to be connected to what she is like now in any way at all. She just needs Hiro to kill the Klaxosaur to become human at this point. Wasn't Hiro formerly more than just that to her? I doubt it's due to her mutation, that would be just a cheap excuse.

Also, I completely dislike how Ichigo is into that blonde guy from the nine squad right after he was being a dick to her entire squad. I don't get what the author thinks about relationships but he definitely has something in the wrong place.
Apr 4, 2018 4:41 PM
Mar 2018
GosuGian said:
I hope this show keeps up its momentum, definitely anime of the year material.

The animation quality varies from average to bad and the story is nothing "groundbreaking" either, in my opinion anyways. I don't agree with anime of the year material just yet. Let alone for all the big titles to come in the next seasons, it's all just speculations though :p
Apr 4, 2018 4:48 PM
Mar 2018
Tomlora said:
Hello' guys,

I 'm not english, so I hope I will not hurt your eyes.
I hope you like reading

I have an idea about her recent behaviour.

Currently, we don't know if she recognizes or not Hiro as her "real" darling. But, she's seeing him as an entirely different person.

So, I think :

- She recognizes him since the beginning, physically or by licking it. (episode 1). That's why she calls him "darling" very suddenly. He's the only one she calls this way .. It's not a coincidence.
> She said "I found you, my darling" (ep1) but also "my darling is unique" (ep 3)
> If Hiro was really a fodder (ep 12), she would not have insisted on flying with him in episode 3 anyway.
> Her actions in episode 4 would make no sense.
- We know Hiro has a memory loss... but I think Zero Two wants him to remember his past... and she tries many times :
> She's looking for a book (ep 12)... It's probably the book we can see at the end (flashback) -> "It's a story about a tribe, here they're being referred to as demons/monsters. They lived peacefully in a forest and have big wings on their back. In that forest there is a girl, she has long grey wings on her back. When they turn 16 years old, they are then allowed to leave this forest by flying away with the help of their wings."
> She "teaches" him the meaning of kiss, love, hand in hand (ep1; ep 3; ep 7)
> Her idea about "running away" several times... (ep 3; ep 7...) Etc..

- We know the result : It didn't work. I think she started to think Hiro isn't her real darling... He looks like him physically, has the same taste... But he's not like him for her.

> Why could she think that ?

It's really simple :

> The answer is here : https://i.gyazo.com/6fe8e08097108582ed87d153f7b33f87.png ....
Zero Two doesn't recognize his behaviour, and on the other hand, Hiro can't prove he's her "real darling" because he hasn't currently memories about her in the past.
>She's really sad because her timing is close to be out. Hiro was her hope, but not anymore. He is now a stamen like the others.

Now, we have this situation : https://i.gyazo.com/e35578040f08c8ce9068aa46d9e6f21d.png
Mitsuru's sentence makes perfect sense here -> https://i.gyazo.com/54e7b3e274b8cec95af0c4e9a3054896.png
She sees Hiro like a normal stamen, and she wants him to undergo the same treatment to achieve her dream. And maybe worse as he has survived more than three times.

Now, we come to the famous flashback at the end, which refers also to this part : https://i.gyazo.com/648d56b49463c44b674cd137263edbd5.png . Hiro will remember everything, and then, he will prove he's her "real" darling. "Hope will be reborn" It is possible that he also changes his behavior ... whether he becomes a greater leader, or that his "prodigy" status makes him stronger. We must not forget that he was originally chosen to be a leader.

What happens next?
I think she will understand this time that she can not become human ... It will be sad because it's her darling who will... break her dream.

What is the remaining solution? That Hiro is no longer entirely human.

I'm quite surprised reading this, since I didn't expect the show to actually do smart things like this, thanks for the efforts and evidence ^^
Apr 4, 2018 7:07 PM

Nov 2008
opiktea said:
Dam son,
That particular commanding officer(CO)....
First one... So they arrived at garden... Pronged to confront the nine... They walk side by side with their CO... Continues to show mild hostility to each team and what the CO do? Well it seems that it's not my job she thought.... The fuck bitch?

Second one... The papa wants to examine 002 for recaliberation? I don't know... She deny this order, so the upper echeleon proceed to subjugate her forcing her undergoes this exam... And what she do? She said "don't give me any more trouble" standing doing nothing, while those faceless guy getting beaten by some demi-human... I was like: bitch? How did you get this job?

Third one... So the children broke the curfew and goes to the garden, well of course, cause nobody supervised them... What the fuck are that CO bitch doing? The one job she got....

The forth one.... I don't know about their procedure, but how the hell they keep leaking a classified information just because they forgot to lock the door... I mean, how the hell ichigo was cassually passing by that control room like are there any restriction at all? What the fuck?

The episode is terrific. But honestly how those unprofessional CO get pot rayed trully enrages me....

According to the official website, Hachi is the combat/tactical commander. Nana is the administrative officer. Split commands often end up with no one really in charge...

I feel that it is significant that they have numbers for names ( hatchi = eight and nana = seven ). I wonder if they were a very early parasite team that was allowed to grow up...
Apr 4, 2018 8:49 PM
Jan 2013
dbaranyi said:

According to the official website, Hachi is the combat/tactical commander. Nana is the administrative officer. Split commands often end up with no one really in charge...

I feel that it is significant that they have numbers for names ( hatchi = eight and nana = seven ). I wonder if they were a very early parasite team that was allowed to grow up...

Thanks dude, trully that helped me...

Yeah no one really in charge and also nobody does a job...

Those inept bunch were doomed from the start... They just didn't want to look at the real cause...
Apr 5, 2018 12:48 AM

Feb 2018
Lucident said:

I'm quite surprised reading this, since I didn't expect the show to actually do smart things like this, thanks for the efforts and evidence ^^

It's just an idea.

There are many possibilities who can be the truth.
Apr 5, 2018 1:50 AM
Mar 2018
i am pretty sure that people really overthink this shit.
Apr 5, 2018 9:33 AM

Oct 2017
WoW they finally release episode 4, now the anime can start.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

363 by 143eitasasaki »»
Sep 21, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2018

1501 by Extremo888 »»
Sep 2, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

343 by NB_Links »»
Sep 1, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

70 by Cheer_Leader »»
Aug 22, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

50 by jumbosan »»
Jul 30, 12:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.