Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2017 9:33 PM

Nov 2007
Singer Namie Amuro has announced on Wednesday that she will retire on September 16, 2018. The past Saturday marked her 25th anniversary since her debut. She mentions that she will make the final year meaningful by focusing on her final album as well as concerts.

Born in Okinawa, Amuro made her debut in the Japanese music industry in 1992 as a member of SUPER MONKEY's, a band which changed its name to Namie Amuro with SUPER MONKEY's in 1994. Her solo activities started in 1995 and she has since released 52 singles, including five digital singles, 12 albums as well as five best albums. Her sixth best album Finally is planned for a release on November 8. In addition to her role in SUPER MONKEY's, she was also an active member of the special unit SUITE CHIC. Her CDs received numerous awards such as Japan Record Awards and Gold Disc Awards, among others. She has performed theme songs for anime series such as InuYasha, One Piece, and the Pokemon: Maboroshi no Pokemon Lugia Bakutan movie.

Source: Official site
tsubasaloverSep 21, 2017 6:27 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 21, 2017 1:05 AM

Jun 2008
Wow, this is huge and very unexpected.
Sep 21, 2017 1:09 AM

Jan 2010
Eeeeeeek why?!

Well, she had produced a lot of catchy songs and I love her voice.
I still have some of her songs on my phone, even I sang to some of them at the karaoke lol (Fight Together..., Four Scene,...)

You will be missed!
Sep 21, 2017 1:23 AM

Apr 2016
I always wonder, how those psychopathic fans (80% of fans in japan) take news like this ? did they commit sudoku ?
Sep 21, 2017 2:01 AM

Sep 2016
Oh, I love an One Piece opening she did. Farewell, Namie Amuro. Never forgetti
Sep 21, 2017 2:51 AM
Mar 2010
Aww, this is sad because I love her voice. I still listen to the Inuyasha song she did. It's so nice.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Sep 21, 2017 4:21 AM
Jan 2017
She will sing the new opening theme of One Piece, "Hope". So, I'm happy and sad at same time cause this news.

"Wasurenaide, We Fight Together!"
Sep 21, 2017 5:52 AM

Jul 2008
For a split second I read that as dies and I was about to jump out of my seat o_o
Sep 21, 2017 5:54 AM

Feb 2014
I thought that people were just joking about her retiring again but then I saw it trending worldwide on twitter yesterday.
I really didn't expect her to make an announcement like that this year.
Sep 21, 2017 7:07 AM

Nov 2008
40 is young for a singer. In the states you have singers performing well into retirement age depending on the genre (most can go into their 50's at the very least, certain genres such as gospel, blues, and jazz can be performed until their voice goes out or until the day they die which could be many decades).

Sep 21, 2017 8:08 AM

Jun 2014
Never heard of her. She ain't no Seiko Matsuda, that's for sure.

Sep 21, 2017 9:05 AM

Feb 2014
Seiya said:

has sold more than Seiko though
Sep 21, 2017 12:32 PM

Jun 2014
minamis said:
Seiya said:

has sold more than Seiko though

But Seiko is far more well known.

I notice that you also have Akina Nakamori in your favorites. She is also far more famous than Namie.

And then there's Momoe Yamaguchi, who was the biggest thing going in her time. If she hadn't retired at 21, who knows how many more records she would've sold.

Sep 21, 2017 1:18 PM

Jul 2013
wow she sang Fight Together? Nice! It's one of my favorite openings!
Sep 21, 2017 4:23 PM

Feb 2014
Seiya said:

I notice that you also have Akina Nakamori in your favorites. She is also far more famous than Namie.

And then there's Momoe Yamaguchi, who was the biggest thing going in her time. If she hadn't retired at 21, who knows how many more records she would've sold.

From the late 90s to 10s Namie is more well known, the older generation know Momoe, Akina and Seiko better but they aren't exactly mainstream popular anymore like Namie is.
I have a feeling that you're just messing with me but maybe somebody actually doesn't know her.
Sep 21, 2017 4:25 PM

Jun 2014
minamis said:
Seiya said:

From the late 90s to 10s Namie is more well known, the older generation know Momoe, Akina and Seiko better but they aren't exactly mainstream popular anymore like Namie is.
I have a feeling that you're just messing with me but maybe somebody actually doesn't know her.

I've actually never heard of Namie until today.

Keep in mind, that I don't listen to modern music, and I only listen to older music, so that may explain why I've never heard of her.

Sep 21, 2017 5:14 PM
Mar 2016
Seiya said:
I heard about Namie more than Seiko. Maybe I'm too new to Jpop world.
Seiya said:
minamis said:

Keep in mind, that I don't listen to modern music, and I only listen to older music, so that may explain why I've never heard of her.
So this is why.
Sep 21, 2017 5:15 PM

Jun 2014
crx07 said:
Seiya said:
Seiya said:

So this is why.

Yeah, well I don't like modern music, so I'm not going to listen to it.

Sep 21, 2017 5:22 PM

Aug 2014
Amuro, don't look back.

Misleading title man.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 21, 2017 8:59 PM

Nov 2007
QuattroVaginas said:
Misleading title man.
Why do you say so??
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 23, 2017 3:08 AM

May 2010
No idea how much this pic of her is photoshopped, but she sure doesn't look her age on it lolz.

Fight Together is one of my favourite OP openings, she should make one more before retiring </3
Sep 23, 2017 6:59 AM

Jun 2016
I remember my ex was a fan of hers back in high school so my guess is that she's really been around a long time. Though that was pretty unexpected.
Sep 24, 2017 7:25 AM
Mar 2016
Seiya said:
crx07 said:
So this is why.

Namie Amuro is a '90's singer. Are 90's songs modern?
Matsuda also released many songs in the 2010's. Songs released in the 2010's are technically modern songs. Do you mean her songs now sucks?
Even though we are now in the late 2010's, Japan is still releasing songs that sound like they are released in the '80s or earlier.
I will give you the recent examples. The songs that I will give you are songs that entered the Top 20 in the Billboard Japan Hot 100 weekly charts in September 2017.

Songs released in 2017 by old guys. You may recognize these ancients.
"REBORN" by Tatsuro Yamashita
"Bojou" by Miyuki Nakajima

Other songs released in 2017.
"Seiiki" by Masaharu Fukuyama (he's a 90's artist but he's kind of modern)
"RAIN" by SEKAI NO OWARI (very modern band)
"Fukurou no Koe ga Kikoeru" by Kenji Ozawa and SEKAI NO OWARI (Kenji is a 90's artist whose songs are stuck in the past)
"Otoko no Zesshou" by Kiyoshi Hikawa (modern enka artist)
"Kiseki no Hito" by Kanjani8 (modern male idol group)

Another 2017 songs with arguably non-modern tunes.
"himawari" by Mr.Children (25-year old band)
"Family Song" by Gen Hoshino (modern artist)
"Ashita e" by Little Glee Monster (modern artist)
"Oasis to Kajuen" by Keisuke Kuwata

Non-2017 "modern" songs
"Koi" by Gen Hoshino (released in 2016)
"HANABI" by Mr.Children (released in 2008)
"Sekai ni Hitotsu dake no Hana" by SMAP (released in 2003, if Namie Amuro is a modern artist then this is a modern song.)
crx07Sep 24, 2017 7:31 AM
Sep 24, 2017 8:04 AM

Jun 2014
crx07 said:
Seiya said:

Namie Amuro is a '90's singer. Are 90's songs modern?
Matsuda also released many songs in the 2010's. Songs released in the 2010's are technically modern songs. Do you mean her songs now sucks?
Even though we are now in the late 2010's, Japan is still releasing songs that sound like they are released in the '80s or earlier.
I will give you the recent examples. The songs that I will give you are songs that entered the Top 20 in the Billboard Japan Hot 100 weekly charts in September 2017.

Songs released in 2017 by old guys. You may recognize these ancients.
"REBORN" by Tatsuro Yamashita
"Bojou" by Miyuki Nakajima

Other songs released in 2017.
"Seiiki" by Masaharu Fukuyama (he's a 90's artist but he's kind of modern)
"RAIN" by SEKAI NO OWARI (very modern band)
"Fukurou no Koe ga Kikoeru" by Kenji Ozawa and SEKAI NO OWARI (Kenji is a 90's artist whose songs are stuck in the past)
"Otoko no Zesshou" by Kiyoshi Hikawa (modern enka artist)
"Kiseki no Hito" by Kanjani8 (modern male idol group)

Another 2017 songs with arguably non-modern tunes.
"himawari" by Mr.Children (25-year old band)
"Family Song" by Gen Hoshino (modern artist)
"Ashita e" by Little Glee Monster (modern artist)
"Oasis to Kajuen" by Keisuke Kuwata

Non-2017 "modern" songs
"Koi" by Gen Hoshino (released in 2016)
"HANABI" by Mr.Children (released in 2008)
"Sekai ni Hitotsu dake no Hana" by SMAP (released in 2003, if Namie Amuro is a modern artist then this is a modern song.)

Yes, I consider any music from 1990 to present to be modern. I didn't grow up listening to modern music.

Oh, and I've never liked Tatsuro Yamashita's music, not even his older recordings. I can't stand that boring City Pop music.

Sep 25, 2017 4:25 AM

Aug 2013
Alipio said:
For a split second I read that as dies and I was about to jump out of my seat o_o

Same here! Glad that's not the case!

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
4 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
5 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.