Forum Settings
Forums

Why so sensitive to how people react to yaoi/yuri?

New
Jun 6, 2017 5:54 PM
May 2017
There's a lot of topics about yaoi/yuri and I notice people keep on making judgements about people based on tastes.

I think most reasonable people understand that people can be bias and it's not a big deal.
Some stupid people think it's hypocritical to like one but not the other. Clearly they aren't getting that it's a matter of taste. Therefore, you can't be a hypocrite.
I think one problem is in the word "disgusting". For most of us, it's a totally fine thing to describe something as since it's subjective.
However, I think when you say "Yuri is beautiful, yaoi is disgusting"
Some people hear that and think you're making some type of moral statement about homosexuals, when you really aren't.
Or they assume that if you're uncomfortable seeing it, you must be homophobic.
Personally, I'll watch Yuri on Ice when they remake it to be about yuri on ice. Y'all can keep your Yaoi on Ice.

I don't like it when people start to examine your visceral reactions to things and try and judge your beliefs off of them.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 6, 2017 5:56 PM

Jun 2014
Why are you so triggered about people being triggered?

Anyway, I noticed a lot of yaoi haters come off as homophobic about man on man relationships calling yaoi "weird" and "gross", but call yuri cute.
Jun 6, 2017 6:04 PM
May 2017
Kagami said:
Anyway, I noticed a lot of yaoi haters come off as homophobic about man on man relationships calling yaoi "weird" and "gross", but call yuri cute.

I'm not a hater of yaoi. Not liking/watching something isn't hate.
And yuri is cute.
It's all in the eye of the beholder
Jun 6, 2017 6:04 PM

Oct 2016
OT: Because they like to waste their time hating.

Secret: Watch what you like, ignore what you dislike. And last but not least, ignore others' opinions about your tastes.

Kay? Kay.

End.
Jun 6, 2017 6:06 PM

Jun 2014
libertarianmind said:
Kagami said:

I'm not a hater of yaoi. Not liking/watching something isn't hate.
And yuri is cute.
It's all in the eye of the beholder

I never said not watching something is hate. I'm saying people who hate yaoi (not everybody), aren't helping their argument. I've seen many men call yaoi gross and yuri cute and I don't think that's a straight thing.
Jun 6, 2017 6:13 PM
May 2017
Kagami said:

I never said not watching something is hate. I'm saying people who hate yaoi (not everybody), aren't helping their argument. I've seen many men call yaoi gross and yuri cute and I don't think that's a straight thing.

I guess there could be more to it. What if a straight female thinks yaoi is gross but yuri is cute?
Jun 6, 2017 6:15 PM
Jul 2018
Kagami said:
Why are you so triggered about people being triggered?
Why are so you triggered about him being triggered about people being triggered? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 6, 2017 6:17 PM

Jun 2014
libertarianmind said:
Kagami said:

I guess there could be more to it. What if a straight female thinks yaoi is gross but yuri is cute?

No matter the gender, I can get not wanting to watch two men have sex if you're straight and a male. That's normal. Though, finding the idea of a male relationship gross, but being open to two girls being together like that fine..... is a completely different beast. One is sexuality and one is ignorance.

@Darek - And why are you so triggered about me being triggered about him being triggered about people being triggered?
Jun 6, 2017 6:18 PM

Sep 2012
Can this shitspammer be banned yet?
Jun 6, 2017 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
Kagami said:
And why are you so triggered about me being triggered about him being triggered about people being triggered?
And why are you so triggered about me being triggered about you being triggered about him being triggered about people being triggered?
Jun 6, 2017 6:22 PM

Apr 2016
I'm okay with either. I obviously love my yuri. But I almost never watch any yaoi anime like YOI and Free. Anime like that are aimed at fujoshis and a straight guy like me won't be able to enjoy.
I do love traps though. That's not gay at all
Jun 6, 2017 6:24 PM

Jun 2014
Omkar_Nagwade said:
I'm okay with either. I obviously love my yuri. But I almost never watch any yaoi anime like YOI and Free. Anime like that are aimed at fujoshis and a straight guy like me won't be able to enjoy.
I do love traps though. That's not gay at all

True.

Jun 6, 2017 6:25 PM

Apr 2016
Darek said:
Kagami said:
And why are you so triggered about me being triggered about him being triggered about people being triggered?
And why are you so triggered about me being triggered about you being triggered about him being triggered about people being triggered?

Why are both of you arguing about getting triggered by each other? ー_ー
Jun 6, 2017 6:26 PM

Apr 2017
>Both of them are quite a M I S T A K E

OP, Don't pointed out how triggered you are, cause it's not our personal crappy tastes

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jun 6, 2017 6:26 PM

Jun 2014
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Darek said:

We aren't arguing.

He's just teasing me because I tease him about him saying he has a small dick. Its okay, nobody is angry. XD
Jun 6, 2017 6:29 PM

Apr 2016
Kagami said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

We aren't arguing.

He's just teasing me because I tease him about him saying he has a small dick. Its okay, nobody is angry. XD

Well, enjoy comparing your dicks. ー_ー
I'm gonna go and watch Wonder Woman.
Jun 6, 2017 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Darek said:

why are you triggered by us arguing about getting triggered by each other?

Kagami said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

We aren't arguing.

It's not small

It's petite
Jun 6, 2017 6:32 PM

Apr 2016
Darek said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

why are you triggered by us arguing about getting triggered by each other?

Kagami said:

We aren't arguing.

It's not small

It's petite

Just stop it will you? I get it. You've got a micro petite dick.
Jun 6, 2017 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
@Omkar_Nagwade you guys are no fun...

It is not a dick

It is a male reproductive organ ;)
Jun 6, 2017 6:40 PM

Apr 2016
Darek said:

It is not a dick

Then go and reproduce or something.
Jun 6, 2017 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Darek said:

It is not a dick

If only I had someone to reproduce with

FeelsBadMan
Jun 6, 2017 6:43 PM

Apr 2016
Darek said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

If only I had someone to reproduce with

FeelsBadMan

How about a body pillow? That should be close enough.
Jun 6, 2017 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
Omkar_Nagwade said:
How about a body pillow? That should be close enough.
unfortunately a body pillow costs money and I do not have much.
Jun 6, 2017 6:48 PM

Jun 2016
Because there's so much fan and man service that's usually in the way of the plot, I don't have anything against homosexuality because I actually like shoujo and Shounen ai, its the fan and man service that's a deal breaker.
Jun 6, 2017 6:48 PM
May 2017
Kagami said:
libertarianmind said:

No matter the gender, I can get not wanting to watch two men have sex if you're straight and a male. That's normal. Though, finding the idea of a male relationship gross, but being open to two girls being together like that fine..... is a completely different beast. One is sexuality and one is ignorance.

@Darek - And why are you so triggered about me being triggered about him being triggered about people being triggered?

I think you can find it a little gross to see two dudes doing romantic stuff, without finding the dudes gross as human beings.
Besides, how can anything be a result of ignorance if it's a matter of taste?
Jun 6, 2017 6:51 PM
Sep 2015
Two years ago I saw Strawberry Panic! by accident, the tittle sound like a comedy to me on those moments I didn't knew that it was a Yuri, anyway I loved it. It was a cute romantic series to me. Until now I have not watched a Yaoi (not directly cause there is a little of Yaoi in anime series like Sakuracard Captor) cause I feel unconfortable about that. Anyway after I hear all the opinions speaking good about Yuri on Ice, I feel curiosity about it, and that's a winning cause are two genres I don't use to watch, sports and yaoi itself
Jun 6, 2017 8:50 PM
May 2017
rocket777 said:
Two years ago I saw Strawberry Panic! by accident, the tittle sound like a comedy to me on those moments I didn't knew that it was a Yuri, anyway I loved it. It was a cute romantic series to me. Until now I have not watched a Yaoi (not directly cause there is a little of Yaoi in anime series like Sakuracard Captor) cause I feel unconfortable about that. Anyway after I hear all the opinions speaking good about Yuri on Ice, I feel curiosity about it, and that's a winning cause are two genres I don't use to watch, sports and yaoi itself

I think Yuri on Ice looks like a really well-made series.
Shit's too gay for me though
Jun 6, 2017 11:39 PM

Feb 2015
Every show has it's haters. It's an obvious fact and you should just ignore what you don't like and discuss it with people who actually share the same opinion with you.
Jun 7, 2017 2:48 AM

Feb 2013
in some country it is legal to be lesbian but not gay

the bias for yuri has some strong real life basis
Jun 7, 2017 7:25 AM

May 2015
Don't Yaoi and Yuri both exist primarily for sexual gratification and not much else?

I hope the users have fun. It's instant pleasure, nothing deep.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 7, 2017 8:15 AM

Jun 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Don't Yaoi and Yuri both exist primarily for sexual gratification and not much else?

No, yaoi and yuri is only the presence of homosexual relationships. Check out Aoi Hana, Sasameki Koto, and Doukyuusei for stories that offer more that sexual gratification.

How much experience have you had with yaoi/yuri for you to make this claim, if I may ask?
Jun 7, 2017 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
libertarianmind said:
Personally, I'll watch Yuri on Ice when they remake it to be about yuri on ice. Y'all can keep your Yaoi on Ice.

Okay I died laughing when I read this part

Jun 7, 2017 8:32 AM

Jun 2014
Personally, I love Anime with romantic relationships between two guys, especially if they're both feminine. I just seems so "right."

Jun 7, 2017 8:36 AM

Sep 2012
Welcome to the retarded era of human history where someone has to get triggered because of something and because of that another person gets triggered.

A loop.
Jun 7, 2017 8:52 AM

Apr 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:

No. To me Yuri and Yaoi is just like a heterosexual romance. I'm actually interested in the romantic and emotional aspects of a homosexual relationship. People who just watch Yaoi/Yuri just for sexual gratification really aren't fans of it, they just think guy on guy/girl on girl is hot. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't consider people like that actual fans and of course this just my opinion.
Jun 7, 2017 9:31 AM

Apr 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

You couldn't be more wrong. It's instant pleasure when it is deep. Dick deep in the ass.
Jun 7, 2017 9:31 AM

May 2017
I love both yuri and yaoi.
You didn't know the beauty of both genre it's self. Yaoi/Shounen-ai and Yuri/Shoujo-ai are same, if you found one disgusting and other are not, are you even sure you see yuri as pure romance between girl(are you enjoy it as romance) or more like see it as fetish because it's girl on girl and want to fuck them?
Jun 7, 2017 10:13 AM
May 2017
livexevil said:
I love both yuri and yaoi.
You didn't know the beauty of both genre it's self. Yaoi/Shounen-ai and Yuri/Shoujo-ai are same, if you found one disgusting and other are not, are you even sure you see yuri as pure romance between girl(are you enjoy it as romance) or more like see it as fetish because it's girl on girl and want to fuck them?

That's not the case though. I don't like yaoi, but I do like yuri such as Maria-sama ga miteru.
And there really isn't much sexual gratification to be found in that anime. There's no fanservice or anything.

Maybe seeing two women in love is just more beautiful to me than two dudes? It's not like I only enjoy yuri with tons of fanservice and sex
Jun 7, 2017 10:20 AM

Nov 2009
There is nothing particularly wrong with not enjoying Yaoi or not wanting to look at yaoi, especially the explicit ones. Just like some people don't enjoy hentai.

There is however something particularly wrong when you think Yuri is OK and acceptable and the solo existence of Yaoi elements in shows triggers you. Even they are not used for fanservice!

The most obvious example is SSY, where everyone bitched about Satoru and Shun but was OK with Saki and Maria going lesbians.
Jun 7, 2017 10:34 AM
May 2017
Bernrika said:
There is nothing particularly wrong with not enjoying Yaoi or not wanting to look at yaoi, especially the explicit ones. Just like some people don't enjoy hentai.

There is however something particularly wrong when you think Yuri is OK and acceptable and the solo existence of Yaoi elements in shows triggers you. Even they are not used for fanservice!

The most obvious example is SSY, where everyone bitched about Satoru and Shun but was OK with Saki and Maria going lesbians.

Maybe lesbians are just inherently cuter.
Jun 7, 2017 10:47 AM

Jun 2014
libertarianmind said:
Bernrika said:

Not to everyone. I find lesbians to be rather gross.

Jun 7, 2017 10:49 AM

Jun 2017
Then there are people like me who 'Don't Give'a Fuck.
Jun 7, 2017 10:56 AM
May 2017
Seiya said:
libertarianmind said:

And I think gay males are gross... Why is it people think I'm a homophobe simply because I think that their love isn't beautiful
Why don't we call gay men out on their lesbiophobia?
libertarianmindJun 7, 2017 11:20 AM
Jun 7, 2017 11:07 AM

Mar 2012
Let me put one thing straight. As for I'm concerned:
The two people involved in the relationship have mutual feelings and each other's consent in whatever they are doing (irrespective of homo or hetero) = not disgusting, whether I watch it or not depends on the contents itself but I have no problem with them.
When the relationship is one sided and one is imposing on the other even (sexually) abusing or in worst case even raping to make him/her fall in love with them = disgusting
^That applies basically for any genre.

As for Yuri on Ice is concerned, honestly I didn't like it, neither the sports part nor the romance part, everyone says the the music was great but I didn't like it either. Irrespective of all that one thing is clear that both Yuri and Victor truly care for each other, that is what I consider to be the most important part of a relationship (be it romantic or platonic) so I don't find them disgusting. On the other hand something like Yuuri x Wolfram is truly disgusting due to it being entirely one-sided and forceful. I really hate it when people say that since Yuri from Yuri on Ice is gay it means that Yuuri from kkm is gay too and they are a canon couple just like Yuri and Victor
Maou_heikaJun 7, 2017 11:12 AM
Jun 7, 2017 11:34 AM
Jul 2018
libertarianmind said:
And I think gay males are gross... Why is it people think I'm a homophobe simply because I think that their love isn't beautiful

Just so you know:
There is a difference, a middle ground between "is not beautiful" and "is gross".

That difference, that middle ground, should answers your topic.
Jun 7, 2017 12:03 PM

May 2017
Bernrika said:

This^ agreed.

libertarianmind said:
lol how can love between girl beautiful but love between males are not? Even if theres sho-ai/yaoi that've good story, I bet you still find it gross because its featuring 'male', it's make u uncomfortable and as straight male u can't fap/turn off cause its male on male(gay). So it's gross for you right? It's proof that you didn't see it because of the story/romance. You simply find yuri appealing because it's 'girl', that's the only reason for you. As straight male, girl on girl action is hot and acceptable for you(only see them as cause they're girls/fap material). No offese tho if that's really ur reason, just admit it.
livexevilJun 7, 2017 12:13 PM
Jun 7, 2017 12:10 PM

Jul 2015
Saying that yaoi or yuri is 'disgusting' or 'gross' is homophobic.

Saying that you simply don't like yaoi/yuri is not.
It is quite simple really.
Jun 7, 2017 12:11 PM

Jun 2014
libertarianmind said:
Seiya said:

Many people, including myself, don't hate people because they're lesbians. We're simply not a fan of lesbian romance. I'm not a big fan of any romance that revolves around any female, straight or lesbian, except for a few small cases, because let's face it, it's been done too many times.

The amount of high quality male/male romance Anime out there is far too small.

Jun 7, 2017 12:11 PM
May 2017
livexevil said:
Bernrika said:

This^ agreed.

libertarianmind said:
lol how can love between girl beautiful but love between males are not? Even if theres sho-ai/yaoi that've good story, I bet you still find it gross because its featuring 'male', it's make u uncomfortable and as straight male u can't fap/turn off cause its male on male(gay). So it's gross for you right? It's proof that you didn't see it because of the story/romance. You simply find yuri appealing because it's 'girl' and as straight male, girl on girl action is hot for you(fap material). No offese tho if that's really ur reason, just admit it.

But plenty of the yuri I like isn't sexual enough to even be hot. If you're right, then I should only be into stuff like Cross Ange.
But the fact that I like yuri that's less sexual than the average straight anime proves that it's not just about them being hot

Prezzix said:
Saying that yaoi or yuri is 'disgusting' or 'gross' is homophobic.

Saying that you simply don't like yaoi/yuri is not.
It is quite simple really.

But "disgusting" isn't a moral statement. Disgusting =/=wrong
libertarianmindJun 7, 2017 12:20 PM
Jun 7, 2017 12:25 PM

May 2017
libertarianmind said:
But plenty of the yuri I like isn't sexual enough to even be hot. If you're right, then I should only be into stuff like Cross Ange.
But the fact that I like yuri that's less sexual than the average straight anime proves that it's not just about them being hot
Sexual or not didn't change anything, ppl still can find the char as fap/waifu material even it's story not sexual enough. If you think yaoi gross and yuri not, that's proof you simply find yuri appealing because it's 'girl', that's the only reason for you. Straight male likes girl, especially girl on girl action is hot and once again because it's featuring 'girl' thats only the acceptable things for them, right?
livexevilJun 7, 2017 12:38 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - Apr 27

8 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

31 by mshfqtny »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Death Parade or Parasyte?

AnimeLover1289 - 18 minutes ago

6 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

75 by zech »»
5 minutes ago

» Best anime from Disney+?

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

21 by deg »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.