Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2017 7:04 AM

Jan 2016
Is it just me, or is everybody obsessed with how everybody else rates their shows? I mean, a masterpiece is a masterpiece regardless of human opinion, but if a lot of people--and that includes every type of viewer--don't like it then that just must mean it doesn't appeal to the general public.

Like it if you like it. Enjoyment is how your shitty articulate brains perceives it to be.
Jan 19, 2017 7:11 AM

May 2015
yellow_kid said:
Is it just me, or is everybody obsessed with how everybody else rates their shows?
Some are, some aren't.

I mean, a masterpiece is a masterpiece regardless of human opinion
Is it though? How does it work?
Personally I have the impression that is actually the human opinion that makes of something a masterpiece, with adequate motivations of course but still opinions.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2017 7:14 AM

Aug 2008
They rate them base on their subjective evaluation like everyone else.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 19, 2017 7:16 AM

Feb 2013
zal said:
yellow_kid said:
Is it just me, or is everybody obsessed with how everybody else rates their shows?
Some are, some aren't.

Personally I have the impression that is actually the human opinion that makes of something a masterpiece, with adequate motivations of course but still opinions.
it becomes a masterpiece when enough peopel agree :^)
Jan 19, 2017 7:16 AM

May 2015
Something being a masterpiece is ALL OPINION. Someone doesn't understand the concept of subjectivity and value judgment.

Saying something is objective doesn't make it so.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 19, 2017 7:17 AM

May 2015
romagia said:
zal said:
Some are, some aren't.

it becomes a masterpiece when enough people agree :^)
Maybe it's a bit more complex than this but I agree it's essentially true.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2017 7:20 AM

Jun 2015
I believe it's because of the muh favourite anime isn't in the top xx while x Gintama anime is. Mostly.
Jan 19, 2017 7:26 AM

Jan 2016
zal said:
yellow_kid said:
Some are, some aren't.

But once it's been aired, it's all done. You can't change it. How people receive it is a different story, especially since there are so many types of viewers.
Jan 19, 2017 7:29 AM

Jul 2014
wow such insightful philosophy OP.

Jan 19, 2017 7:30 AM

May 2015
yellow_kid said:
zal said:
Some are, some aren't.

But once it's been aired, it's all done. You can't change it. How people receive it is a different story, especially since there are so many types of viewers.
But how people perceive it is the key to being or not being a masterpiece.
I suggest you watch Hyouge Mono which might help you clarify more stuff about masterpieces and perception.

OppaiSugoi said:
wow such insightful philosophy OP.

Jan 19, 2017 7:34 AM
Jan 2013
The tru deciders of de anime mastapeeces are the ferrets fucking knew it
gone bai bai
Jan 19, 2017 8:43 AM

May 2015
Mkim said:
The tru deciders of de anime mastapeeces are the ferrets fucking knew it

Decides what is a masterpiece and what not, can also rate objectively.
Jan 19, 2017 8:56 AM

Nov 2014
yellow_kid said:

Nah, I couldn't give a damn how others do it. But since people ask me how I do it, I do take the time to explain my rationale behind it.

yellow_kid said:

It would depend what you think is the most important in a series.

yellow_kid said:
Like it if you like it. Enjoyment is how your shitty articulate brains perceives it to be.

Yup, enjoyment is important, but it's not everything.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 8:56 AM

Jan 2017
yellow_kid said:
Is it just me, or is everybody obsessed with how everybody else rates their shows? I mean, a masterpiece is a masterpiece regardless of human opinion.
I say that every show that is praised and deemed a masterpiece is shit.
"Now, come here. So long as we hold hands, we won't be separated."
Jan 19, 2017 9:04 AM

Feb 2010
So what's the question?

Or is this thread really about someone obsessing over how other people obsess over yet again other people's scores?

Seems awfully convoluted.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 19, 2017 9:09 AM

Nov 2014
Pullman said:
So what's the question?

It's there --->"Is it just me, or is everybody obsessed with how everybody else rates their shows?"

But yeah this thread is basically a shitpost
Jan 19, 2017 9:20 AM

Feb 2010
Touniouk said:
Pullman said:
So what's the question?

It's there --->"Is it just me, or is everybody obsessed with how everybody else rates their shows?"

I was holding out hope that it was in fact not about someone obsessing about what others allegedly obsess about. The thread title seemed to suggest there might be more to it but, oh well.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 19, 2017 9:55 AM

Aug 2015
I rate my shows based on how big my dick gets when watching it. With an electron microscope you will see the difference, 10 is at the maximum length and 1 is either flaccid or just starting to grow.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jan 19, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2015

It's just you being insecure brah

>implying that art is objective
but if a lot of people--and that includes every type of viewer--don't like it then that just must mean it doesn't appeal to the general public.

>implying that art is subjective
>contradicting your prior sentences
kek
Jan 19, 2017 10:11 AM

Mar 2014
My way of rating an anime is very simple:

1. I go to an anime page
2. I click on "Select your score"
3. I choose a rating between 1 and 10
4. I click on "Update"

Done
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 19, 2017 10:51 AM

Jul 2014
The whole premise of the website is to list and rate anime on a scale of 1 to 10; so naturally the forums would be dominated with discussions about rating and such.
Jan 19, 2017 10:52 AM

Apr 2015
yellow_kid said:

a masterpiece is a masterpiece regardless of human opinion

Haha.Ha Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
*Slams fist onto desk, head explodes*
You serious?

yellow_kid said:

Well, at least your original post was half right.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 19, 2017 11:53 AM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
My way of rating an anime is very simple:

1. I go to an anime page
2. I click on "Select your score"
3. I choose a rating between 1 and 10
4. I click on "Update"

Done

Basically this... Ignore the 2-8 scores... xD
Jan 19, 2017 12:02 PM

Sep 2012
yellow_kid said:

Wow this line is so clever I even don't know what to say.Oh wait I do.

Jan 19, 2017 3:40 PM

Jan 2016
Pullman said:
Touniouk said:

I was holding out hope that it was in fact not about someone obsessing about what others allegedly obsess about. The thread title seemed to suggest there might be more to it but, oh well.

There's stuff underneath the shitpost question, but I guess you didn't see that.
Jan 19, 2017 3:56 PM

Oct 2014
Rating scale:
10: Amazing, one of my favourite anime!
9: Really good, but not quite a 10
8: A very good anime
7: Pretty good
6: Just above average
5: Average
4: Poor, slightly below average
3: Really bad.
2: There is barely anything good about this anime
1: WTF did I just watch? Terrible, painful to watch. This is most common for anime around 1 minute long under the genre "dementia".

The anime that the numbers link to are what I think are the most accurate examples of what deserves each rating. These will link to my own reviews of the anime when possible.

yellow_kid said:
a masterpiece is a masterpiece regardless of human opinion
Wait, how does that work? The very thing that makes something a masterpiece is how it is perceived by its viewers so if there are no viewers than how can it be a masterpiece? If an anime is a masterpiece but only 100 people have seen it and it didn't appeal very well to any of their tastes is it still a masterpiece? How can it be? Generally something being referred to as a masterpiece means that many "important" people saw it and all thought highly of it. One of the five anime I gave a 10 to only has a 7.5 on MAL. It's a masterpiece in my own opinion, but obviously that opinion isn't shared by too many people with its mere 60 favourites.
Jan 19, 2017 5:39 PM

Jan 2015
Incorrectly most of them. But the advantage of a big community is that the incorrect rating users balance each other out.

An account that watched everything should have a gaussian distribution with a mean in 5.5.
The number of 10's = 1's, #9's = 2's, etc.

But since most people pick their shows based on recommendations/popularity and not random they'll pick shows above average. As you start watching anime your average should go up as you find your style up to like 8.5. Once you start drying out your favorite style and expanding your tastes your average will go down. And approximate 5.5. I never made the math but it's unlikely there's anyone with a legitimate mean below 7.5. There's just too many entries on MAL for everyone to watch enough bad unpopular shows to compensate for all the good and popular shows they have watched already.

The exception to this rule is people that follow all airing anime and ones that actively chase bad anime if they exist I guess. I follow airing anime but since I drop most before the 4 episode mark I don't rate the bad ones, so my mean is still high.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 19, 2017 5:58 PM

Nov 2014
Angelquasilike said:
Incorrectly most of them. But the advantage of a big community is that the incorrect rating users balance each other out.

An account that watched everything should have a gaussian distribution with a mean in 5.5.
The number of 10's = 1's, #9's = 2's, etc.

But since most people pick their shows based on recommendations/popularity and not random they'll pick shows above average. As you start watching anime your average should go up as you find your style up to like 8.5. Once you start drying out your favorite style and expanding your tastes your average will go down. And approximate 5.5. I never made the math but it's unlikely there's anyone with a legitimate mean below 7.5. There's just too many entries on MAL for everyone to watch enough bad unpopular shows to compensate for all the good and popular shows they have watched already.

The exception to this rule is people that follow all airing anime and ones that actively chase bad anime if they exist I guess. I follow airing anime but since I drop most before the 4 episode mark I don't rate the bad ones, so my mean is still high.

It's strange how you link popular with good and unpopular with bad so closely... But I do agree popular shows tend to be slightly better than average (except Fairy Tail, that shit is bad on so many levels). But on most people with 7.5 average or higher, almost all these shows seem to rate a 9-10. Not saying that no popular show are that exclusively good, but almost every single one? Nah, poor rating system mate.

In any case, most people do pick from recommendations and popularity, very unfortunate indeed. Personally I only hear recommendations from trusted real life friends who have similar tastes to mine, and even then I often end up being indifferent to the show. Popularity means nothing to me. Where is this perfect world of yours where you only pick up above average shows from listening to the hype train?

Then there are also shows that disappoint you or pull up an ending that is surprisingly bad. Some can pretty much ruin the build up of a show to an extent. Though not as bad as the example below. Rant of Akuma no Riddle incoming... 3... 2... 1... When FUCKING assassination survival game anime decides that on the LAST damn episode that they are gonna pull the "OH hey, actually NONE of them are dead"! Yay!

And seriously you think no one watches shows that are so bad, it's unintentional comedy?

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 6:12 PM

Jan 2015
@BurningSpirit
Popular and Good are very interchangeable check Top Anime vs Popular Anime.
If it's unpopular it's probably bad. If it wasn't bad people would share it more. That's not the case all the time but most of the time it is.
You mentioned you think it's unfortunate people pick based on popularity/recommendations but you didn't mention an alternative, other than randomly picking which is strictly worse on average than following a recommendation.

Half the shows are below average, half the shows are above average, if you follow the money trail you'll be picking shows above average. Very recommended shows, popular shows, high score shows, shows that got a second season, the big majority of these are above average. And if you pick the crop of these then they are probably at least good for the majority of people.

And you give a pretty decent show a 2 just because you didn't like a small part of it. What the fuck do you give shows that have shitty animation, shitty plot, shitty voice acting, between other things? can you really lump a show with good animation, voice acting, decent plot and a bad ending with them?
Most of the real bad shows that are entries on MAL aren't hosted or are really hard to find on the internet. 99.99% of the people don't watch them.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 19, 2017 6:30 PM

Nov 2014
Angelquasilike said:
@BurningSpirit
Popular and Good are very interchangeable check Top Anime vs Popular Anime.
If it's unpopular it's probably bad. If it wasn't bad people would share it more. That's not the case all the time but most of the time it is.

Half the shows are below average, half the shows are above average, if you follow the money trail you'll be picking shows above average. Very recommended shows, popular shows, high score shows, shows that got a second season, the big majority of these are above average. And if you pick the crop of these then they are probably at least good for the majority of people.

My believe is that every individual has some sort of list to check off when determining whether they like a show (perhaps this is more conscious with critical watchers of anime but more sub-conscious for those that turn off their brain and enjoy). If a good number is checked on our "list", we enjoy it. If not, we don't.

Basically what anime that ends up popular seeks to do it to check the most common things in the people's lists. Basically I'd say almost everyone likes a few or at least one mainstream series. But often those with their own opinion do like other anime.

With that said, everyone also has some things in their "list" that is more specific and obscure. So I believe that people's favourite show is unlikely to be a mainstream one, but rather something that is very very specific on their list. Basically whenever people rave about a uniqueness of a show, it's likely because they've finally found a show that ticks that obscure criteria of theirs.

Liking popular anime isn't a problem, most people do. But to insinuate all popular anime are good, shows that your opinion of an anime might be too heavily influenced by the opinions of others. Or you just don't have anything in your check list that is remotely different from anyone else.

Angelquasilike said:
You mentioned you think it's unfortunate people pick based on popularity/recommendations but you didn't mention an alternative, other than randomly picking which is strictly worse on average than following a recommendation.

Erm... I did.
BurningSpirit said:
Personally I only hear recommendations from trusted real life friends who have similar tastes to mine, and even then I often end up being indifferent to the show. Popularity means nothing to me. Where is this perfect world of yours where you only pick up above average shows from listening to the hype train?
No one is asking you to use a random anime generator, even if you go around searching, you look for genre tags and synopsis. I'm saying you should stop only listening to what is popular.

Angelquasilike said:
And you give a pretty decent show a 2 just because you didn't like a small part of it. What the fuck do you give shows that have shitty animation, shitty plot, shitty voice acting, between other things? can you really lump a show with good animation, voice acting, decent plot and a bad ending with them?
Most of the real bad shows that are entries on MAL aren't hosted or are really hard to find on the internet. 99.99% of the people don't watch them.

A small part of it? The WHOLE damn show was trying to pull emotions out of death and the fighting. BAM last part, destroys the entire build up of the show. The build-up mean nothing if you can't find that final target to hit. In fact a show like that brings up a rare feeling, hatred. Usually I'm just indifferent, but it pisses me off when a show takes the effort to do something, only to consciously turn around a give the viewers the middle finger.

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 6:32 PM
Feb 2015
dont really care what people rate what but i find people that watch anime based on ratings: Sheeps
Jan 19, 2017 6:42 PM

Jan 2015
@BurningSpirit
Top animes all rank at least good on the major points, plot, animation, music, voice acting, character development...

Almost all popular anime are at least good because good is >6. And if you pick only say the top 25 most popular they are all probably >7 other than one or two. Only watch the top 25 anime and you'll end up with an average of 8.5. And that's a lot of days worth btw because of the battle mangas with hundreds of episodes.

I don't think I have many irl friends with more than a few days of anime. But what's the difference between that and recommendations on an anime you liked? Or you can just check top scored anime by people with a lot of shared anime with you too.

Btw the most popular animes are obviously the most favorited too.
AngelquasilikeJan 19, 2017 6:47 PM
Jan 19, 2017 6:55 PM

Nov 2014
Angelquasilike said:
@BurningSpirit
Almost all popular anime are at least good because good is >6. And if you pick only say the top 25 most popular they are all probably >7 other than one or two. Only watch the top 25 anime and you'll end up with an average of 8.5. And that's a lot of days worth btw because of the battle mangas with hundreds of episodes.

I don't think I have many irl friends with more than a few days of anime.

MAL ratings uses a weighted score btw, more people generally means higher ratings.

In any case, I'm not disagreeing that popular shows are generally above average, but we all know >6 and >7 means nothing in MAL ratings. Back back to your rating system. Is rating 30 shows 10 and 99 shows 9 really a sign of using your anime list to best represent yourself? How do you rate? By how hyped you are?

My MAL Interview
Jan 19, 2017 7:01 PM

Oct 2014
@Angelquasilike
I don't believe there is a correlation between popularity and subjective quality. Everyone has different taste so if 90% of the top 100 most popular anime are rated over 8 you are most likely to rate 90% of them over 8 as well, but not necessarily the same ones. In fact, because of how different rating systems are there is a chance that they'll all be 10s to you and there will also be a chance that you won't give a single one of them over a 7.

In my top 10 favourite anime 5 of them have over 100k members and the over half have under. I think this is pretty representative of the kind of anime I like. You can't expect to like all of the popular anime, but there are enough out there that there are bound to be at least a couple that fit your taste very well.

Mean scores don't usually form a perfect bell curve and you can't really expect people to rate that way. Even mine has a big bulge at the bottom due to shitty shorts.
Jan 19, 2017 7:12 PM

Jan 2015
BurningSpirit said:
Angelquasilike said:
@BurningSpirit

I don't think I have many irl friends with more than a few days of anime.

MAL ratings uses a weighted score btw, more people generally means higher ratings.

In any case, I'm not disagreeing that popular shows are generally above average, but we all know >6 and >7 means nothing in MAL ratings. Back back to your rating system. Is rating 30 shows 10 and 99 shows 9 really a sign of using your anime list to best represent yourself? How do you rate? By how hyped you are?

I want to distribute normally all entries on MAL. What percentage of shows would you rate higher than 9.5? Assuming I've seen 66% of the shows I'll rate 10 so far which seems fair, that would end with 45 animes rated 10. Assuming 30k entries on MAL that's 0.15% Animes rated above 9.5. Is that high to you?

@zombie_pegasus
The rating of all entries should follow a bell curve. For your ratings to follow a bell curve you'd have to have a neutral sample of animes. That's really unlikely unless the animes you watch are picked randomly. You are more likely to pick animes you like so your rating curve will be skewed towards an higher score. That's called a student t curve btw.
Jan 19, 2017 7:12 PM

Feb 2016
Angelquasilike said:
@BurningSpirit
Top animes all rank at least good on the major points, plot, animation, music, voice acting, character development...

I don't think I have many irl friends with more than a few days of anime. But what's the difference between that and recommendations on an anime you liked? Or you can just check top scored anime by people with a lot of shared anime with you too.

Btw the most popular animes are obviously the most favorited too.

I think the popularity rankings have very little relevance to the quality. I just checked the top100 and my scores range from 9 to 2. The top rated is more accurate but even there are many titles I rated below 5.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 19, 2017 7:24 PM

Dec 2014
I am a biased rater.. I usually score 7 or 8 in all my shows ...if it's bad I just drop it....and if it's good 9 or 10
Jan 19, 2017 7:37 PM

Aug 2013
1. Set the average value = 7
2. Add the quality (objective aspect of the anime) -2 till + 2
3. Add enjoyment score (subjective) -4 till +4
4. Read other review to both side (high and low) -1 till +1

I need to set my average to 4....mean score way too high
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Jan 19, 2017 8:39 PM

Jan 2017
yellow_kid said:

This makes sense only if you define "masterpiece" = a work produced by a master of the art form. But are there any Anime academies out there granting internationally recognized titles to people? And people like Hayao Miyazaki are called master because their overall work got critical acclaim. But that's already subjective since critics are still subjective no matter how close they keep to standard categories like "characters" or "plot".

yellow_kid said:

Now that's something I can totally agree with. I think it's most important that YOUR Anime list mirrors YOUR taste.
Jan 19, 2017 9:11 PM

Mar 2016
yellow_kid said:

Definetely not just you.
And i don't care about how everybody else rate their shows because there are too many menthod you can do like :
Rated at 10 scale range
Rating based on enjoyement
Rating based on overall
Rated at 5 scale range
And much more

So why did your care?

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

62 by Pinoffin »»
17 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 4 minutes ago

0 by Rinrinka »»
4 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

15 by TRC_Randy »»
5 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

4 by LightWorker »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

43 by TRC_Randy »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.