Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2016 12:39 PM
Nov 2015
Decent so far, my only complaint is the art and animation. I don't expect much out of 8bit, but it was worse than I thought it'd be. 3/5
Jul 2, 2016 12:40 PM
Nov 2013
Glad this was a 48 minute episode, I think it was a really great set up. The pacing was a little fast, but I was never disinterested and felt engaged the entire time. All the girls are really cute, I can't decide which one I like best yet.

I have not read the vn yet, so I have no opinion on that part. Other than that, I thought this was a great first episode and I really look forward to what's coming next.
Jul 2, 2016 12:42 PM

Jul 2010
It's weird seeing the comments of "anime-only viewers will be so confused at this", while I understand some got confused, I wonder why my sister (who didn't play the game) didn't get lost at all... oh, well, could be that I never stfu about the game when I was playing it.

I wasn't expecting much about the art since the PV, but the animation was surprinsly fluid. At this point idc about what they make with the storyline, since it is... impossible to be like the game is, so I'm going to enjoy what I'm offered. I shall say I didn't like Lucia's introduction, forced infodump.

Kotori and Shizuru my daughters, I hope to see my man Sakuya soon.
Jul 2, 2016 12:42 PM

Oct 2010
Overall, I felt was really good. Probably helps that I had the lowest expectations possible. Animation and character designs were pretty low-tier as expected, but it looked better than I thought it would. Kotori....Chiwa Saitou owned this episode. I'm glad they kept her character's charm in check. Shizuru is still an adorable Goddess. Music is fantastic as it always has been

People saying it's rushed, you have to remember that this is not really an "adaptation" of the Rewrite we know and love. Common route, sure...but from everything I've read in interviews and stuff, it's going to focus on a newly created route for Kagari. If that's incorrect, and they're just skipping to TERRA...there's no way they're gonna fit it all in and have it be properly told within 12 more, 24-minute episodes. Just not possible IMO. So let's pray what I heard is correct, and that it will focus on Kagari's story only. Maybe we'll get the "Real" Rewrite in the future.

For now, this was very enjoyable.8/10 for this episode

edit: I will admit this probably made very little sense to people who didn't read the VN. I feel bad for them.
Jul 2, 2016 12:45 PM

Oct 2010
Playcool said:

I just hope they dont bury the series more than they already have done, with going the shorther route, just to promote the VN, instead of doing it justice an adapting every major plotline.

It's literally impossible to adapt every route IMO. They'd need 40+ episodes, since it's length was similar to LBs and Clannad..and those required that many. This Kagari-focused route seems the best option for to test the waters, I guess.
Jul 2, 2016 12:45 PM

Dec 2012
Terrible 3/10 dropped.

Jul 2, 2016 12:50 PM

Jul 2015
Cool premise so far but the lame art and shitty CGI kind of ruined it.

Add some jokes about a schoolgirls panties plus flat boring directing and I'm not very impressed overall.
Jul 2, 2016 12:58 PM
Jun 2014
I'm not sure what on earth I even watched, it feels like they threw a load of different anime (I guess VNs in this case) in a blender and then slapped a main character on top of the resulting mess to try and link it all together.
Jul 2, 2016 1:05 PM

Aug 2012
kamisama751 said:

AlexTheRiot said:
But yeah, that statement still stands right now. The common route is slow, but once the plot starts to unfold it should get better. But we don't really know right now since it's NOT going to be omnibus, but instead will be animating an original route(has nothing to with 8bit btw, other than Tensho's cooperation with Aniplex)

So you know what an omnibus is? Then why do you ask me?
Nothing should get better, if the directing sucks in the first episode then it sucks forever. Directing is one of those elements that won't change through the show.

lol that isn't what omnibus means. Omnibus is a format of storytelling. I think you're looking for 'harem ending'? In which case, it won't be that either.

And yeah in terms of directing I don't expect drastic improvements, though quality will probably vary for certain scenes. But we were talking story composition, which should get much better.
Jul 2, 2016 1:06 PM

Feb 2015
As someone who has not read the VN I didnt have a clue what was going on in this episode. All I noticed was the poor CG and high levels of Moe.
Jul 2, 2016 1:07 PM

Oct 2012
It was okay, the common route stuff was fun as expected, but I'm not feeling the new material at all and everything is being introduce far too quickly. I guess it was too much to expect anything out of a Key VN being squeezed into 13 episodes. I'm kind of on the fence between not watching another episode and forgetting about the existence of this anime or watching the rest out of curiosity to see what the original route entails.
Jul 2, 2016 1:07 PM

Jul 2012
I love Rewrite so much!

I want to say more about it because I love it so much but that's the best way to say it that I can think of right now.

Rewrite... <3
Jul 2, 2016 1:08 PM

Jan 2016
I think they did an alright job at doing the VN justice, although I'll admit the later scenes were a bit out of place, considering where they are in the VN.

Either way, I'm excited to see where they take Rewrite in the anime, as we know it'll be an original development.
VN adaptations trigger me
Jul 2, 2016 1:10 PM

Nov 2010
Gil and Pani shown this fast - too rushed...
People who haven't played the VN would get too confused :P.
I only played Chihaya's route for now. I guess I really should clear the rest - I only heard of Terra and Moon routes so I don't know too much about them. Must check them out.
But I'm still happy seeing all the characters animated. Especially Chihaya and VN players's favourite Yoshino :).
Jul 2, 2016 1:13 PM

Apr 2014
And here it is, Grisaia no Kajitsu anime version vol. 2.

Incredibly rushed, awful production values, especially that artstyle which reminds me of a worse version of Clannad's, the only good part was Lucia, that being 30 seconds, and that godlike opening by the end of the episode. Everything else was inconsistent, boring, and all over the place. Solid 3/10 for the first episode.
Jul 2, 2016 1:13 PM

Aug 2012
Daisetsu-bushido said:
Gil and Pani shown this fast - too rushed...
People who haven't played the VN would get too confused :P.
I only played Chihaya's route for now. I guess I really should clear the rest - I only heard of Terra and Moon routes so I don't know too much about them. Must check them out.
But I'm still happy seeing all the characters animated. Especially Chihaya and VN players's favourite Yoshino :).
Yeah I recommend putting this on hold until you finish the VN lol
Jul 2, 2016 1:16 PM

Mar 2016
uhm.... wtf was this even about? .__.
Jul 2, 2016 1:21 PM

Nov 2013
AluSsak said:
uhm.... wtf was this even about? .__.

A boy being stalked by a moe girl at nights.
Jul 2, 2016 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
As a person who has read the Visual Novel, this was actually better than I expected it to be. Sure, it was technically rushed but not in a way that it looked pretty bad. Personally I find this rather as an introduction and it was pretty nice, Btw my only complaint here was one thing that they did with the beginning (altho I get the point as to why) and the far frame artstyle.

Other than that the art was pretty good in the close frame for the most part, the backgrounds are pretty nice, CGI are pretty noticeable but they aren't really that bad when you think about it.

(There are things that makes sense when put CGI for example)

But other than that, they did re-arranged the introductions and changed a few but in all honesty it somehow fits with the anime.
Jul 2, 2016 1:28 PM

Dec 2014
Yo, are all of these episodes gonna be 45 minutes long?
Jul 2, 2016 1:29 PM

Oct 2011
Another key anime yay. Must prepare tissue for the emotional parts
Jul 2, 2016 1:30 PM
Jun 2016
BadVoodoo said:
Yo, are all of these episodes gonna be 45 minutes long?
No, it's the only episode that long (in episodes 1-13 anyway).
Jul 2, 2016 1:33 PM

Jun 2013
I like how people are saying:

"This is confusing! 1/10 worst anime"

Dude, this is the first episode and only serves as an introduction to the setting and characters. Be glad that they've put some action scenes because its not like that in the visual novel.

Also, everything will make sense later, so no worries.
Jul 2, 2016 1:35 PM

Dec 2015
Overall I found it great fun, but the meetings took place very quickly and the girls were not very well made and the scenes were not as mood with the VN.
But still I expect much of this adaptation.

And I hope her a lot in the next episode.
Jul 2, 2016 1:39 PM

Jun 2014
I enjoyed it. I liked the common route but from what I see here it's quite rushed, they chose to introduce the character over the jokes which i guess is understandable since it's only 13 episodes. Well this first episode was alright I guess, they did what they wanted, show that Rewrite is not a normal harem slice of life but in consequence the first episode is quite a mess.

Hope the next episodes are better, and I'm really excited to see the opening.
Jul 2, 2016 1:39 PM
Oct 2012
Holy shit the first 5-6 mins, that almost made me cry.
overall there was nothing that i hated in the first episode
EXCEPT THAT THEY DIDN'T SHOW ENOUGH YOSHINO
10/10 would watch the episode again
Jul 2, 2016 1:42 PM

Nov 2010
Akane's "Welcome, gypsy, to my secret room" was shown well :).

I wonder if they'll animate [or somehow mention] my favourite scene :):

Jul 2, 2016 1:42 PM

Jul 2013
Murasa22 said:

Dude, this is the first episode and only serves as an introduction to the setting and characters. Be glad that they've put some action scenes because its not like that in the visual novel.

^^^^^^ this I agree
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Jul 2, 2016 1:45 PM

Sep 2011
Murasa22 said:

Because it's literally a terrible first episode for anime only people. Did you not see those character introductions fly by you at mach speed? I sure did. Compared to most Key shows, the character introductions don't go that fast. The place is all over as a first episode. You're only looking this at your perspective because you read the VN and a lot of people judge harshly by their first episodes.
Jul 2, 2016 1:46 PM

Jul 2012
AlexTheRiot said:
takumi94 said:
where are you get the info.
http://s.mxtv.jp/anime/rewrite/ Notice the 23:30~24:00
I can't facepalm hard enough at this.... the 土曜日23:30~24:00 bit was the time the show started airing... Saturdays at 11:30pm just like what MAL says on the Rewrite page.

If you don't know even the bare basics of Japanese like what the days of the week are, don't go around spreading misinformation...

That said, I still don't know whether or not its going to be 48 minutes per episode or its going to be 24 minutes like usual. But your "source" confirms nothing.
Jul 2, 2016 1:46 PM
Jun 2016
I haven't lost all hope for this anime but, it definitely could've been better (the first episode). I never understood why people cared so much about animation, as far as I'm concerned almost anything made in 2016 is at least watchable. And 8-bit is no exception in that regard. Though I felt some the interactions with chihaya felt forced, and she seemed awfully compliant considering she "hates" kotarou. though that original development at night when he went to search for Akane was where it fell apart for me. I thought it was fine, and very interesting when he was running from kagari. but the whole scene with the tentacle monster thing felt so out of place, not to mention gil and pani. and kotarou's ability? How are anime onlys supposed to figure out what's going on between that and all the supernatural stuff going on??

Well at least it felt a little more composed when he found the witch. I'm not so much sad for myself, but for anime onlys watching this and being confused or turned off. I told people to not get their hopes up but it still will make me sad if this turns out as bad as some fear. Personally I i think it can redeem itself and I was reletively satisfied with most of the episode. 7/10 first episode, I think it can still work out if the staff on this show don't leave viewers in the dark for too long, since they are the ones who threw in this whole plethora of events to begin with.
Jul 2, 2016 1:48 PM

Jun 2008
Don't know what to think about this yet, definitely feels like a typical visual novel way of story telling which I'm not really fond of. I'll give it a 3-4 more episodes.
Jul 2, 2016 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
I kind of tuned out 20 minutes into this

I'll give it another couple episodes
Jul 2, 2016 1:50 PM

Jul 2012

I'm not a VN reader, so that was exactly what I felt watching this. It was really generic and boring. And the art was ugly most of times. I got myself rooting for Cthulhu at the end.
I'm dropping it and I will try to play the VN since people are saying it is good.
(I mean, to go as far as trying to say this episode as not as bad is because the source must be really loved xD)
taynisJul 2, 2016 2:21 PM

Jul 2, 2016 1:51 PM

Sep 2011
jaxter0987 said:
AlexTheRiot said:
I can't facepalm hard enough at this.... the 土曜日23:30~24:00 bit was the time the show started airing... Saturdays at 11:30pm just like what MAL says on the Rewrite page.

If you don't know even the bare basics of Japanese like what the days of the week are, don't go around spreading misinformation...

That said, I still don't know whether or not its going to be 48 minutes per episode or its going to be 24 minutes like usual. But your "source" confirms nothing.
And that will be the regular broadcast time... Just like how it says here: https://fansubdb.com/wiki/Rewrite for the times.

Episode 1 was a special case where they did two episodes in order to get all the characters into 1 episode and the other shit.

Also, if you went to Rewrite's anime page (Official JP one), you'd know they said this: TV anime will debut on July 2nd with an hour long special
Jul 2, 2016 1:57 PM

Jul 2012
jaxter0987 said:
AlexTheRiot said:

23:30~24:00 is 30 minutes though, dude. Am I missing something here?
Jul 2, 2016 1:57 PM

Jun 2012
Do the tomes that transfer student was carrying have any connection to the occult room bookshelves?
I don't think they would have shown us that the girl was carrying a wealth of books and, without reason, not further addressed the matter at some point. I'm sure that point will come, in time.

The "change the world, or yourself" idea was interesting, I figure that will be of some consequence throughout the show if they named the first episode after it.

exleader75 said:
The opening monologue is accomplished with visuals of how the planet Earth was formed
Why, though?

Are the girls supposed to follow cosmic themes, or something?
Is the show pretending to a depth that we, as first time viewers, don't yet comprehend?

Sokah said:
WTF did I just watch? Infantilized girls, sleepwalkers with a fetish for coins, transfer students with super strength, witchs, ghosts, fairy vampires, boss monster, dimensional travel, dismemberment. Also Colonel Sanders. Art is also Clannadish, but not in a good way.
I don't know, dude.

This is something for the visual novel fans, I figure, because we're not being catered to very well.
Jul 2, 2016 1:59 PM

Jul 2012
People keep mentioning how Kotarou's sudden internal monologue of "Accelerating" being confusing for Anime only viewers...

What exactly is the problem here? Yes he has some strange power. OBVIOUSLY they'll expand on it more. We see the power is to be used in dire situations. Cool. Can't wait to find out more about it.

Half the critiques I've read on this thread are so full of crap. The soundtrack being out of place (I don't even know where to begin with this one), "I, as your class representative" (its like its the first time you've seen a character in an anime talk like that), Chihaya "hating" Kotarou but being compliant (uh hello? Tsunderes? Even if you complain about the cliche, he DID save her and it wasn't like he could avoid seeing her panties).

On another note, more complaints about CGI... Name ONE freaking anime that has what you would call "good" CGI. Literally everytime CGI is present in an anime, there are hordes and hordes of people saying "Bad CGI". I don't get the excessive hate for CGI...

Yes character introductions are rushed. I have to give you that much.
Jul 2, 2016 2:03 PM
Jun 2013
FlamepriesT said:
Wondering if watching this before I finish Terra would be a problem. Anyone?

They show scenes from Terra
Jul 2, 2016 2:03 PM

Jul 2013
jaxter0987 said:
People keep mentioning how Kotarou's sudden internal monologue of "Accelerating" being confusing for Anime only viewers...

It's supposed to be confusing. Want to know why?
Every single person who read the VN for the first time wondered the EXACT SAME THING. The people who haven't read the visual novel are in the same position VN readers were when they first read it.
sanata50lbsbJul 2, 2016 2:15 PM
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Jul 2, 2016 2:04 PM

Aug 2012
jaxter0987 said:
AlexTheRiot said:

Okay yeah I was being lazy, but it's still true. Here http://www.bs11.jp/program/
Jul 2, 2016 2:05 PM

Sep 2014
Caesar said:
Do the tomes that transfer student was carrying have any connection to the occult room bookshelves?
I don't think they would have shown us that the girl was carrying a wealth of books and, without reason, not further addressed the matter at some point. I'm sure that point will come, in time.

The "change the world, or yourself" idea was interesting, I figure that will be of some consequence throughout the show if they named the first episode after it.

exleader75 said:
The opening monologue is accomplished with visuals of how the planet Earth was formed
Why, though?

Is the show pretending to a depth that we, as first time viewers, don't yet comprehend?

Sokah said:
WTF did I just watch? Infantilized girls, sleepwalkers with a fetish for coins, transfer students with super strength, witchs, ghosts, fairy vampires, boss monster, dimensional travel, dismemberment. Also Colonel Sanders. Art is also Clannadish, but not in a good way.
I don't know, dude.

This is something for the visual novel fans, I figure, because we're not being catered to very well.

The visual of the Earth forming during the opening monologue is relevant to the story of Rewrite.

As a VN reader, yeah, 8bit certainly rushed it. I didn't like how Tensho literally introduced the enormous cast in one episode.
Jul 2, 2016 2:08 PM

Dec 2012
exleader75 said:
Caesar said:

Why, though?

I don't know, dude.

The visual of the Earth forming during the opening monologue is relevant to the story of Rewrite.

As a VN reader, yeah, 8bit certainly rushed it. I didn't like how Tensho literally introduced the enormous cast in one episode.
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Jul 2, 2016 2:08 PM

Jul 2012
therandomestguy said:
23:30~24:00 is 30 minutes though, dude. Am I missing something here?
I missed the memo that 24:00 and 00:00 both refer to midnight. Apologies to Alex but those times could have been still due to scheduling conflicts on release day (which was not the case).

With that out of the way, I'm now super depressed. I had hope that the anime would do alright if it was essentially a 2 cour show that aired within 1 cour. But I need to tone down my hype, now that I know its only going to be standard episode lengths from here on out.
Jul 2, 2016 2:09 PM
Jun 2016
jaxter0987 said:

What exactly is the problem here? Yes he has some strange power. OBVIOUSLY they'll expand on it more. We see the power is to be used in dire situations. Cool. Can't wait to find out more about it.

Half the critiques I've read on this thread are so full of crap. The soundtrack being out of place (I don't even know where to begin with this one), "I, as your class representative" (its like its the first time you've seen a character in an anime talk like that), Chihaya "hating" Kotarou but being compliant (uh hello? Tsunderes? Even if you complain about the cliche, he DID save her and it wasn't like he could avoid seeing her panties).

On another note, more complaints about CGI... Name ONE freaking anime that has what you would call "good" CGI. Literally everytime CGI is present in an anime, there are hordes and hordes of people saying "Bad CGI". I don't get the excessive hate for CGI...

Yes character introductions are rushed. I have to give you that much.
yeah I do think some were overly negative, though you see that everywhere. I do share some of these negative sentiments, but like what you implied about kotarou's power there's probably stuff they want to elaborate on later, as there's A LOT to cover. My problem is mainly the huge amount of info shown near the end of the episode. No not the CGI or anything. Just that so much was revealed at a pace that made it hard for some to even absorb the info let alone begin to understand the situation. Future episodes may patch this up, and I hope they do.
Jul 2, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2012
sanata50lbsb said:
jaxter0987 said:

It's not confusing. Want to know why?
Every single person who read the VN for the first time wondered the EXACT SAME THING. The people who haven't read the visual novel are in the same position VN readers were when they first read it.
Because some VN readers were confused when they first experienced it, Anime only watchers shouldn't be?

I figure, as Jaxter suggested, we'll learn about it in good time. There are a number of threads like that placed about the episode, it's pretty neat.
Jul 2, 2016 2:12 PM

Jul 2012
Caesar said:

They're her books for school, since she just transferred to the school.
Jul 2, 2016 2:14 PM

Jul 2013
Caesar said:
sanata50lbsb said:

It's not confusing. Want to know why?
Because some VN readers were confused when they first experienced it, Anime only watchers shouldn't be?

I figure, as Jaxter suggested, we'll learn about it in good time. There are a number of threads like that placed about the episode, it's pretty neat.

I TOTALLY worded that wrong. My bad. I meant to say "It's supposed to be confusing"
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Jul 2, 2016 2:16 PM

Jan 2013
I really hope this doesn't put people off the VN... Rewrite is seriously on the same level as the likes of Clannad, if not even better. It's really frustrating to hear people trashing Rewrite like this, but this episode was a trainwreck.

I don't want to constantly compare this to the VN, but what the hell was up with the pacing? I realize that they're trying to cram a 50+ hour VN into 13 episodes, but this was a little ridiculous. For starters, what on earth is
doing in the first episode? The supernatural stuff is kept really subtle for a large part of the common route, this just completely kills the suspense. I'm not going to even bother going into all the other issues.

This is the first time I've actually played a VN before watching the Anime adaption, now I'm finally starting to realize why VN players get so angry over adaptions like Grisaia no Kajitsu and LB. Rewrite is a work of art and they're trampling all over it. I really hope this anime manages to redeem itself somewhere along the line.
Jul 2, 2016 2:23 PM
Dec 2014
rewrite first episode wasn't bad

Anime onlies are trashing it like the anime ended with its first episode . Don't worry we will get some explanation later, this is called "foreshadowing"

But the parts that were rushed were the characters' introduction (only some of them like inoue and lucia) and the way they did the ghost every night.

If the first episode had alot of contents then just rewatch it to understand all the contents
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

293 by nhkam »»
Apr 6, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2016

177 by Miki42 »»
Jan 10, 9:41 AM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

112 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2016

126 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:43 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2016

242 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.