Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 8, 2016 11:44 PM

Feb 2016
That was a good figut and dat punch tho
Jun 9, 2016 12:11 AM

Aug 2015
God this episode was amazing, I was looking forward to it so much after watching last weeks preview for episode 10, and I was not disappointed at all. Lovely episode, I'm looking forward to the next.
Jun 9, 2016 12:29 AM
Sep 2015
The animation is really good in this but the comedy isn't really doing it for me. I don't feel all that invested in the characters either. I just can't get myself to feel anything for Kyouka when I know so little about her backstory or who she is. She's cute and had to kill people are the only traits I'm getting off of her and only one of those is an actual trait.
Jun 9, 2016 2:15 AM

Dec 2013
Horry Sheat! The only thing better than Atsushi getting that final punch on Akutagawa was probably the fact that Kyouka actually survived!
Not a big fan of the Dazai Chuuya moments, but whatever.
Let's see who these higher-up baddies are...
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 9, 2016 5:33 AM

Aug 2015
Really enjoyable and epic fight, even though the amount of "anime magic" used for Atsushi to survive all of the special attacks from Akutagawa unharmed (except for the last one) His regeneration power sure is overpowered.
Chicken is love, chicken is life ~ ♥
Jun 9, 2016 6:14 AM

Nov 2011
Episode with light and shade, pleasant narration when you gradually unravels the story, but the story cloying when switching action, the clash between Atsushi and Akutagawa, is less exciting than expected and too talkative in the dialogues. Excellent comedy, drawings and animations, excellent. I think I saw some slight changes in the opening and ending.
Jun 9, 2016 8:08 AM

Aug 2010
baffledprince said:
Episodes 6 and 7 were based on a side story in the light novel, just so you know!

When talking about it with some friends we thought that, but we didn't look into it at all. Thanks!
Jun 9, 2016 8:17 AM

Mar 2016
@krystalwitch

The thing about the comedy being exaggerated in some people's view is because of the director's style . He likes to include those arrows, bubbles , backgrounds, emphasis on faces , etc .
Jun 9, 2016 8:21 AM

Aug 2013
Such an amazing episode!

Loving the interaction between Dazai and Chuuya xD

Atsushi's and Akutagawa's fights were absolutely amazing *^*

can't wait to see the next ep xD finally get to see more Kenji!

Jun 9, 2016 11:44 AM

Mar 2011
Fai said:
Its interesting and hilarious that this whole thing pretty much played out as Dazai planned - he got into position to find out info he wanted - by setting up his previous apprentice to fight his new apprentice(thus getting Akutagawa away from himself) AND pissing off and trolling his own old partner. Dazai is THE definition of why people are scared of Port Mafia. Dazai might act like an idiot most of the time, but he so far is one of the most ruthless and dangerous people in the cast. Never EVER get on Dazai's bad side, it seems. Also he recognized who wants Atsushi? More and more interesting

Anyway, majority of episode is basically culmination of Atsushi's storyline and his issues with weakness and abandonment, which are explored via his confrontation with Akutagawa. Unlike Akutagawa who came to view the world via the lens of survival of fittest due to Dazai's training, Atsushi resolved to save the innocents and the weak, because he is one of them.

Akutagawa in real life was someone who carried a fear of having inherited a mental illness from his mother who killed herself and he was constantly psychologically threatened by his adoptive mother(which influenced his writing a lot). So it is only fitting that this fictional Akutagawa is just as fearful of his position being questioned, someone struggling with self worth. And Dazai's words cut deep and provoked him enough to drive him into whirlpool of rage and hatred, creating a conflict with Atsushi

Atsushi in Real Life was someone who is shaped by his tragic and unhappy childhood, just like his real life self who suffered his parent's divorce and then spent quite a big portion of life wandering and traveling through Japan, China, Korea, Manchuria, etc. So its only normal that his orphanage memories and his own tragic childhood is important drive for this Atsushi too. I know its "hip and cool" here to rant about orphanage flashbacks and all, but his experiences there define Atsushi's character and path. He sees himself as weak, as someone who suffered and was worthless, but that is exactly why he is compelled to save others who are weak too. Its exactly because he is weak and people are weak, that Atsushi feels he has to be strong even past his limits for the sake of people like that. In a way, Akutagawa's ranting on the ship stands against everything Atsushi is right now, so there's no way Atsushi could ever give up against a person like that. The orphanage, all of his misery, all the weak people in the world suffering like he did - Akutagawa embodied it all in this.

We also get very nice callback with Kunikida showcasing how the events with Nobuko and his hacker protege affected him. We actually see and feel his frustration at being unable to live up to his ideals(which also explains him extremely falling back to order and chain of command in last episode). However in a way he is also proud of Atsushi - I guess in a way he sees what happened as his ideals being fulfilled - for once no innocent had to die. Which all is embodied in that last smile he has on his face as he, Atsushi and Kyoka make their escape.

On side note now I am wondering if we will get Akutagawa and Tanizaki rivalry since they did clash against each other in terms of narrative theory during their lives. Or maybe their little alley encounter is supposed to be exactly that.

Either way great episode. And some VERY nice action. Those were some VERY satisfying punches.
And now it seems we are getting F.S.Fitzgerald and surprise surprise - just like his real life self, he seems to be a little bit racist.

And now it seems we are getting F.S.Fitzgerald and surprise surprise - just like his real life self, he seems to be a little bit racist.
hlubkoj2020 said:
From now on, the storm will be coming.
Guess, we won't be able to see the big storm until season two.

Its a two cour show, so its whenever the second cour airs.

I'm very curious about what you"ll say about the future "western" characters introduced, as you seem to know quite a lot of thing about litterature as a whole and not just japanese one. That'll be interesting.

Also, regarding the complains about the flashbacks I've seen (as always), for once they were important to the narrative here. They were here to put a parallelism between Atsushi and Kyoka and to give Atsushi more depth to his rescue than just "always save the girl". To some the flashbacks can be sometimes excessive (I don't think so but whatever, it's just my opinion) but in this episode the definitely had a point in the narrative

Dazai is really THE character that "makes the show" imo; sure the others are quite good too, but he's on another level entirely . He his definitely more of an anti-hero than a pure "hero", but in the same time usually doesn't have the "dark and edgy" vibe most of them have (in present tiime, that is).

Also, we're soon out of what I call the "introduction". The real "meat" of the manga is the part that will come with Francis F. Fitzgerald. And if they are as good as animating it that they were for the beginning, it should be really good.

[quote] His regeneration power sure is overpowered.[quote]

Well, he DOES have an insane bounty on his head, after all!.
willardhwrightJun 9, 2016 11:50 AM
Jun 9, 2016 12:48 PM
Mar 2016
That was good.............................
Jun 9, 2016 2:18 PM

Aug 2010
DragonSlayer_19 said:
@krystalwitch

The thing about the comedy being exaggerated in some people's view is because of the director's style . He likes to include those arrows, bubbles , backgrounds, emphasis on faces , etc .

I can't really complain about it since the comedy was already in the original work, but over exaggerating it sometimes might just kill the mood, and even if it has it's jokes, overall it has a serious mood. And killing that makes some scenes kinda meh, IMO.

willardhwright said:
Also, regarding the complains about the flashbacks I've seen (as always), for once they were important to the narrative here. They were here to put a parallelism between Atsushi and Kyoka and to give Atsushi more depth to his rescue than just "always save the girl". To some the flashbacks can be sometimes excessive (I don't think so but whatever, it's just my opinion) but in this episode the definitely had a point in the narrative

Dazai is really THE character that "makes the show" imo; sure the others are quite good too, but he's on another level entirely . He his definitely more of an anti-hero than a pure "hero", but in the same time usually doesn't have the "dark and edgy" vibe most of them have (in present tiime, that is).

Also, we're soon out of what I call the "introduction". The real "meat" of the manga is the part that will come with Francis F. Fitzgerald. And if they are as good as animating it that they were for the beginning, it should be really good.

I agree with you on the first part, since even if the idea of the flashbacks is to show the issues Atsushi has, they usually make use of the same scenes, and it can get a bit annoying. It wasn't that overused in the manga adaptation, yes, it was shown, but they did just show a few images, not the whole scene over and over again.

About Dazai... Well, yeah, it's the character I like the most, and I agree with you on that. In fact, I don't really think any character has a "dark and edgy" vibe at all, because while Akutagawa gives that vibe at the beggining, he's just a lonely boy who wants to be recognized by Dazai, leaving aside that his ability is kinda edgy by itself tho.

And yeah, this first arc was pretty much an introduction on what's coming next season (and it'll get really amazing, btw). But I must say I'm kinda scared they might rush it if they want it to fit in a 12/13 episodes, since the 2nd arc starts with chapter 15 of the manga, and not even on chapter 32 seems that it will end really soon. At least 3 or 4 more chapters, I'd say.
Jun 9, 2016 2:42 PM

Nov 2014
That was an intense fight. Buuut I have quite a lot of complaints this week, so....

Okay, now I think my respect for Dazai has lessened. I mean, unless they give us an actually plausible reason as to why he left the Port Mafia, then that would mean that he's a character who can easily threw away his connection with people he knew that easily. And well, I don't really fancy the idea of trusting my back to someone like that. And the reason why Akutagawa is like that is literally Dazai. He does deserve those punch, but at the root of it, it's not completely his fault. Poor boy.

Why did Dazai care so much about who paid the bounty? I refuse to believe that the only reason was because he just cared so much for Atsushi. I hope he's actually planning something and it he need the tiger for that plan. That would make an interesting story.

On another note, is Kunikida an idiot or something? He was there for a rescue mission, right? Why the hell did he announced to the world that he was there? What if another Port Mafia member ambushed him? I know he's pretty strong, but arrogance isn't strength. Or did he knew somehow that the ship was deserted? Still, going into the enemy's nest and screaming 'yo bro I have come to save my precious comrade' is stupid af. No wonder Ranpo is the only one who can keep the agency going.

Well. Looks like next week ep will be about Finnian, huh? He looks funny so I guess I can be prepared for a lot of joke scenes.
Jun 9, 2016 3:10 PM
Sep 2015
Mascera said:

It WILL be more excited if only the flashback appear not when they're having that due

I'm tempted to wait until the anime is over and then document for fun the number of times the flaskblack is featured in the anime (I think it's already close to 10).
Jun 9, 2016 8:12 PM

May 2015
atsushi was so badass, only to save his princess XD
Jun 9, 2016 9:34 PM

Jul 2012
Akutagawa: Notice me Senpai!!

Dazai: My new subordinate's better....

Akutagawa: AAAaaaaaargh!!!
Jun 9, 2016 9:57 PM

Jan 2014
The animation during that fight... HOLY FUCK. This was a damn good episode. I'm also glad that what happened with Kunikida and the death of the kid he felt responsible for was reflected on this episode -- I had been waiting for that.
JotakakJun 9, 2016 10:03 PM
Jun 9, 2016 10:03 PM

Dec 2009
Pretty much my favorite episode of the series. Watching Atsushi finally step up and take on Akutagawa as an equal in a fucking amazingly badass fight was breath taking to watch. So glad he managed to save Kyouka. Also glad to see the episode touch upon Kunikida's feelings again, albeit a bit subtle.
Jun 9, 2016 10:42 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
So Atsushi = Wolverine based on the battle.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 10, 2016 5:00 AM
Jun 2015
Why is this show so awesome? Actually, I didn't like this episode as much as the previous 3. Still liked it.
Poor Akutagawa just wanted senpai to notice him.
Okay, Atsushi has gained my liking towards him.
Kyouka's still adorable. Kunikida development.
And my favourite scene was the scenes between Chuuya and Dazai. Also..

Chuuya, what the hell?! XDD
Still thinks this anime deserves to be in the top 1000 or at least get an 8 by now.
Jun 10, 2016 7:37 AM

Jan 2014
For me, this anime got 10 times better ever since Kyouka's intro, now I'm really looking forward for the next episode!
The fight scene between Atsushi and Akutagawa was pretty good, though I don't know how to accept that Atsushi turned out to be a good fighter so suddenly.
Dazai-san, you're something else!
Jun 10, 2016 8:13 AM

Sep 2013
That was some great shit, tbf.

Still, though, I don't get why Dazai let the computer kid die. I want to understand how this fits with his character. Yes, he is a dark dude, but not a bad person...? Why did he do that, I still don't get it.
Jun 10, 2016 9:30 AM

Dec 2012
Well, the fight was beautiful. Atsushi won against Akutagawa. Kyouka is now a member of the agency, congratulations !.

After the flashback of Akutagawa, I'm eager to see Daizai make a serious fight.
Jun 10, 2016 10:05 AM
Jul 2018
I've seen better fights. That was more of a torture than a fight.

Oh, and yeah. Overconfident characters like Dazai get on my nerves. (:
Jun 10, 2016 10:40 AM

Jul 2015
Hmmmhmmm those crepes were to die for >w>

Fight wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be though. Pretty decent episode still.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jun 10, 2016 12:21 PM

Sep 2012
The most interesting part of the episode was seeing Francis F. with the ability, "The Great Gatsby." Like what would that even be? Ability to produce sudden riches? Ability to die in a pool? I'm struggling to think of how that book could translate into an ability.

Maybe Atsushi should start wearing red or black. Doesn't look like seltzer water and lemon could clean those blood stains.

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
Jun 10, 2016 1:01 PM
Jun 2016
The chapter was amazing, the fight to be short was pretty good :)
Jun 10, 2016 5:21 PM

Oct 2013
Wow! I really liked this episode! We saw more of Dazai's manipulative tactics from the past as well as in the present. Looks like a lot of Akutagawa's problems might stem from Dazai's training of him lol. At this point, I can't say I really trust Dazai or his motives. I wonder why he decided to leave the port mafia, and what changed his mind. Moreover I think he has some ulterior motives with suddenly taking Dazai under his wing. In a way it looks like Akutagawa attempted to do the same with Kyouka.

The battle itself was really intense and engaging. I might be nitpicking at this point, but it seems like Atshushi's development was just a little to fast, however the battle was very good- still, a little bit of me finds it hard to believe he developed his fighting skills so quickly. It really was satisfying to see Akutagawa get taken down finally, so maybe that makes up for it a little bit?

All in all, good episode. I really enjoyed watching it and I'm finally getting into this series. I can't say that I haven't seen this type of story before, but it helps that I like this kind of genre lol.
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
Jun 10, 2016 5:24 PM

Oct 2013
salmon-kun said:

When they zoomed in to Atsushi and Akutagawa, I have to admit I cringed a little but the michael bay afterwards cleared up everything, yeah.
Yea lmfao, that threw me for a loop for a second, I thought maybe there was an error with the way the sound effects were popping off.

Jotakak said:
The animation during that fight... HOLY FUCK. This was a damn good episode. I'm also glad that what happened with Kunikida and the death of the kid he felt responsible for was reflected on this episode -- I had been waiting for that.
I appreciated how they included that as well! I guess in a way Atsushi restored a bit of Kunakida's ideals that he had lost.

Wintovisky said:

Still, though, I don't get why Dazai let the computer kid die. I want to understand how this fits with his character. Yes, he is a dark dude, but not a bad person...? Why did he do that, I still don't get it.
Personally, with the way he's been shown to act in the past few episodes, I think he's the type of person to use any opportunity to serve his own purposes. We still don't know why he joined the agency so suddenly, so it's possible he /did/ have a change of heart, but I get the impression that he assumed or "predicted" that both the woman and the boy were unable to be saved, therefore he was using the bit of life they had to teach Kunakida-kun a lesson about "justice" and not being a "hero". That is just my take on it rn, it could be wrong.
1290349450394aJun 10, 2016 5:34 PM
Jun 10, 2016 6:48 PM

Jul 2007
Wintovisky said:

To teach Kunikida a lesson and to tie up loose ends so there's nobody to implicate the agency.

He might be a nice dude but he WAS a bad person - you dont become mafia higher up for nothing. We do not even know for sure on if he is on Agency's side either.

Letting kunikida's protege and nobuko die is no different than endangering Tanizaki and his sister via his plan in Ep3, delaying Kunikida from facing Atsushi(in case Dazai ends up having to kill Atsushi) in Ep1 or literally throwing Akutagawa at Atsushi(so Akutagawa is not around to stop his snooping) in these two episodes.

Elgargini said:
though I don't know how to accept that Atsushi turned out to be a good fighter so suddenly.

tinybunnvevo said:
I might be nitpicking at this point, but it seems like Atshushi's development was just a little to fast, however the battle was very good- still, a little bit of me finds it hard to believe he developed his fighting skills so quickly

He did not? He got hit by pretty much every single attack.All he has shown is good reflexes and lots of healing - all the things he already displayed before. Akutagawa even comments that Atsushi's fighting skills are worth shit.
AhenshihaelJun 10, 2016 6:52 PM
Jun 10, 2016 8:54 PM
Jun 2016
Man is it just me or did everyone get super excited when Atsushi jumped off the giant crate thing. I was worried he wasnt going to ever grow up and get a little more powerful but good for him.
Jun 10, 2016 11:14 PM

Nov 2015
Good episode the fight between Atsushi and Akutagawa was impressive. And I'm glad that Kyouka didn't die.

Jun 11, 2016 1:21 AM

Dec 2009
Jotakak said:
I'm also glad that what happened with Kunikida and the death of the kid he felt responsible for was reflected on this episode -- I had been waiting for that.

@Jotakak Lol told you not to judge him to fast, this episode made him seem like much less of a dick, right? Kunikida is a really great character imo.
Jun 11, 2016 3:12 AM

Jan 2014
Vongola said:
Jotakak said:
I'm also glad that what happened with Kunikida and the death of the kid he felt responsible for was reflected on this episode -- I had been waiting for that.

@Jotakak Lol told you not to judge him to fast, this episode made him seem like much less of a dick, right? Kunikida is a really great character imo.

I don't need a "told you so", mate. He was still a dick but this episode touched upon why he was being one and that's what I was waiting for since the episode Dazai got that kid killed. That doesn't make him anymore right though but I do agree this makes him an even better character.
Jun 11, 2016 4:55 AM

Jan 2014
Fai said:

Elgargini said:
though I don't know how to accept that Atsushi turned out to be a good fighter so suddenly.

He did not? He got hit by pretty much every single attack.All he has shown is good reflexes and lots of healing - all the things he already displayed before. Akutagawa even comments that Atsushi's fighting skills are worth shit.

then how did he win? mere luck?
Jun 11, 2016 2:10 PM

Oct 2013
Fai said:

That's a good point. He just seemed to be really strong all of a sudden with his tiger powers, like being able to break Akutagawa's black claw(?) things. It was a sudden and drastic change from the fumbling kid before lol. Still I said i was nitpicking since he clearly got hit/owned several times, if not for his healing powers he would be dead. But for his abilities to be that valuable/OP, well that was kind of shocking, but again, it wasn't so weird that it broke the suspension of disbelief.
Jun 11, 2016 10:20 PM

Aug 2013
The action this episode was really awesome, and I love all the comedy bits with Daizai, it's always so funny. This show keeps getting better, and the new villain looks really interesting. I really like how a lot of the characters are named after real life authors with their famous works as their abilities.

And did I see Kyouka in a maid outfit in the next episode teaser? I think I did.
Jun 11, 2016 10:38 PM

Jun 2013
Dazai's trickery is so awesome.

The action scenes between Akutagawa and Atsushi are impressive.
Jun 12, 2016 1:53 AM
Mar 2012
Beautiful fight. That multipunch makes Saitama proud. Satisfying face punch. Cool how Atsushi controls tiger switching, tho odd he seems immortal.
Akutagawa disowned by senpai, so jelly for Dazai's new kouhai, that hateface is real. Akutagawa x Dazai ship sunk & seems he's taking anger out at raging blond next time.
Crepe saves the day.
Lots of fun in preview, yay for Gatsby, luffy x Atsushi.
Jun 12, 2016 4:35 AM

Jan 2014
Shradow115 said:

And did I see Kyouka in a maid outfit in the next episode teaser? I think I did.

you definitely did, a good reason to look forward for the next episode!
Jun 12, 2016 5:04 AM

Mar 2016
Elgargini said:
Shradow115 said:

you definitely did, a good reason to look forward for the next episode!

We're gonna see higuchi too (Akutagawa-Senpai!!) lol
Jun 13, 2016 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Luffy?

and wow Daizai.
Jun 15, 2016 8:03 AM

Feb 2016
This episode's been by far the best until now. It had everything - an interesting angatonist, action, profound dialogues and comedy.
Jun 15, 2016 8:54 AM
Sep 2015
I've been waiting for them to adapt this chapter from the manga ever since I heard Bungou was getting an anime (the chapter's nothing short of jaw-dropping, after all). And I couldn't be happier with what Bones has dished out to us.

With the Rashomon and Tiger fight, animation was fluid, visuals spectacular, fight choreography intense and wildly inventive. Flashbacks were relevant and smartly placed. The dialogue was cool, and that voice acting, hot damn.
Sandwich-donoJun 15, 2016 8:58 AM
Jun 16, 2016 11:39 AM

Oct 2015
The fight between Akutagawa and Atsushi was AWESOME, that last punch was one of the most epic things of this season!
Well so Akutagawa is jealous. He really is a drama queen.
"Once you get used to the abnormalities, they become mundane"- Leonardo Watch

Jun 19, 2016 6:57 AM

Jul 2009
Finally Atsushi decided to fight!
And now we saw the guy who wanted his body...
Jun 21, 2016 9:05 PM

Oct 2008
Damn! Atsushi-kun really beats-up the ass of Akutagawa! nicely done!
5/5.

Jun 22, 2016 4:45 AM

Nov 2012
lol akutagawa was jealous of atsushi.
anyways, their fight was pretty fun to watch, and i'm happy that atsushi defeated akutagawa~
Jun 22, 2016 6:19 PM

Dec 2012
Oh man I used to not like this until the past few episodes lol. Akutagawa got hos ass kicked. :o
Jun 24, 2016 10:50 AM

Jun 2010
It was quite obvious that Akutagawa feels frustrated and jealous over Atsushi.
Also I find it very damn cute that Dazai trained Akutagawa. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2016

203 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 11:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.