Forum Settings
Forums

what does a country without a culture look like?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 16, 2016 6:55 PM

Aug 2013
traed said:
A lot of answers here tells me no one fucking knows what culture even is.

Culture is language, art, (ir)religion, traditions, fashion. Literally every country listed so far has all of those.
Exactly and it comprises of even more than that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture Europeans seem to think culture is just old ass buildings and statues. Culture is determined by society so each society has it's own culture. It's funny how Europeans always claim America has no culture then complain about Americanization. Mc Donalds, KFC, Pizza Hut having chains all over the world, Hollywood movies being released in cinemas all over the world, Baseball being played in different parts of the world, American pop music being played all over the world, Cartoon Network having branches all over the world. America is well known for spreading it's pop culture worldwide as a type of cultural imperialism. How could it do that if it has no culture?
DrGeroCreationMay 16, 2016 7:12 PM
May 16, 2016 10:04 PM

Jan 2014
FontSize72LOL said:
hoopla123 said:

No real culture tho.

That's just what we eat (although eating can be a part of culture..).

Is it true that you guys have milk in bags?

Yes. I also found that a bit weird when I moved to Canada from Nigeria because they always had milkmen delivering milk in bottles in American cartoons.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 16, 2016 11:12 PM

May 2015
I don't think this can happen. Cultures form naturally when a lot of people have something in common. Make people live in a certain area long enough and they'll develop a culture.

Hell, lone military bases have their own culture.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 17, 2016 12:02 AM
Oct 2014
Alcoholic-san said:
Rarusu_ said:

I know my country has a culture. That people even think that we don't is a proof of it, because self-denial is very much a part of our culture. It's called "the Law of Jante". Paradoxically that makes me a bit unswedish.

> state of law
> monogamy
> individual private property rights
> strong sense for consensus
> hierarchical structure yet egalitarian view on people
> drinking black coffe on a daily basis

There you have your Swede
I like old Swedes better

> state of monarchies
> monogamy with some extra during raids
> property rights for Swedes, screw those guys we just raided lol
> strong sense for braiding beards
> hierarchical structure yet egalitarian view on raid targets
> drinking mead on a daily basis

there you have your old Swede:

They say history repeat itself, so we will be there soon again

May 17, 2016 1:13 AM

Jan 2015

I may as well be learning arabic tbhfam.
May 17, 2016 1:15 AM

Mar 2014
FahtahSensei said:
I may as well learn arabic.
Well that's too bad, you're missing out big time
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 17, 2016 1:50 AM
Feb 2014
Comic_Sans said:
FahtahSensei said:
I may as well learn arabic.

These are the most popular languages to learn on Duolingo, I guess learning other languages is considered "cultural appropriation" there, right?
May 17, 2016 2:18 AM

Dec 2015
I think Belgium is much closer to a country without a culture.
It's an artifical country created in the 19th century by other European powers. Nowadays it's divided in two communities that have culturally nothing in common. The North is culturally Dutch, and the South is culturally French, both heavily influenced by American culture.
But as a whole, Belgium doesn't really have any cultural, historical, artistic or religious specificity or traditions. The only exception might be beer brewery, but that is hardly exclusive to Belgium.

But life is just fine in a country without culture, at least the people are not obnoxious about the greatness of their country like the French or Americans, although they didn't make a single contribution to its history.
May 17, 2016 2:21 AM

Jul 2015
Exhalant said:
-,- I wouldn't call a french man a white person, but I'd call them French or European. I don't think the races I listed above are categorized as "white". But it depends on what you consider to be white... is it the skin color or where they live?

I... I'm not white? I just learned something new...*takes a look under his shirt* I'd still say I'm white, if someone could come here and comfirm plox.
May 17, 2016 2:39 AM

Mar 2014
The_Nico said:
Comic_Sans said:

These are the most popular languages to learn on Duolingo, I guess learning other languages is considered "cultural appropriation" there, right?
LMAO

No, not really, I think it's because of all immigrants and the fact that there's not enough SFI (Svenska för invandrare/Swedish for immigrants) teachers out there + a lot of them are relatively or even extremely bad
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 17, 2016 4:50 AM
Mar 2016
Exhalant said:
Bobby2Hands said:

I'm not sure what your definition of "white" is, but Irish, French, German and Australian people all seem pretty white to me.

-,- I wouldn't call a french man a white person, but I'd call them French or European. I don't think the races I listed above are categorized as "white". But it depends on what you consider to be white... is it the skin color or where they live?
how can you determine someone is white from where they live? no offense, but I'm really confused. I think most people consider anyone with white skin white, lol, as in all of Europe. my great grandparents almost all came from Europe and they were all white
May 17, 2016 9:04 AM
May 2015
This thread is funny. Just because some advanced countries which are engulfed in modern technology don't talk about culture or express it that much, doesn't mean that they don't have one. Every country has it's own different culture, it's just some of them pop to people more or seem unique and enticing more than the others. And culture is something that could change as years pass. So, every country has a culture by simply existing because it's part of how we live and what we like and much more.
May 17, 2016 9:06 AM

Apr 2016
Without a culture people still group up with others of common interests. There will still be communities without culture but instead of that you want to pretend that it'll be total mayhem.

I'm not even sure what you mean by "no reason to do anything". People have desires, with or without culture.
May 17, 2016 1:00 PM

Feb 2016
Clebardman said:
Exhalant said:

I... I'm not white? I just learned something new...*takes a look under his shirt* I'd still say I'm white, if someone could come here and comfirm plox.

I don't know if you'd agree with this, but I believe there's a difference between being Caucasian and actually being white. No matter how minor it may seem.
May 17, 2016 1:08 PM
Oct 2014
Clebardman said:
Exhalant said:

Just like my grandpa would say, people south of Germany are blacks

May 17, 2016 11:05 PM

Apr 2014
I think the same.
One of the biggest attractions of anime is Japanese culture itself.
Cultural adolescence of the nations in the New World and the loss of existence sense from the Old World have in common a need that is riotous when this one meets a rich and ancient culture like the Japanese.

May 17, 2016 11:52 PM
Jul 2018
Australia did have a culture. But then the English came.
Now we're just full of drunk white people and immigrants trying to find their fortune
... or maybe being drunk counts as our culture? who knows~
May 18, 2016 12:51 AM

May 2015
Yarrowia said:
I think Belgium is much closer to a country without a culture.
It's an artifical country created in the 19th century by other European powers. Nowadays it's divided in two communities that have culturally nothing in common. The North is culturally Dutch, and the South is culturally French, both heavily influenced by American culture.
But as a whole, Belgium doesn't really have any cultural, historical, artistic or religious specificity or traditions. The only exception might be beer brewery, but that is hardly exclusive to Belgium.

But life is just fine in a country without culture, at least the people are not obnoxious about the greatness of their country like the French or Americans, although they didn't make a single contribution to its history.

Give it a few decades. I wonder if after 30 years of being a country these lines between the communities will blur and Belgium will have more of a culture.

I do love their beer.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Have you ever touched and/or kept any foreign currency(ies)?

Kiryotsu - 7 hours ago

9 by LightWorker »»
2 minutes ago

» Are you a deep sleeper

ST63LTH - 58 minutes ago

4 by fae »»
2 minutes ago

» Are you Caucasian???? I am btw...

DesuMaiden - 7 hours ago

8 by _Nette_ »»
43 minutes ago

» would you rather sleep in a room filled with 1k mosquitoes or have a horse take your virginity?

707supremacist - Yesterday

29 by 707supremacist »»
47 minutes ago

» You Are Worthy of Petting Cats!!!

KittenCuddler - Apr 28

27 by Meusnier »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.