Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2016 3:21 PM

Nov 2015
Why do people think Super Lovers is a "gay" anime? It doesn't even have any homosexual scenes just a few kisses between brothers. Even if their relationship is a little homo, can't you look past that and see the deeper themes about Family and Fulfilment. It's about a lonely man and an emotionally insecure boy and their relationship, but nothing sexual is implied. But the gay associations are enough to turn people off. Another example is Free, although I haven't seen that one.

Do you avoid anime that you consider "gay"? Do you think that's a justifiable reason to give a show a lower score?

Edit: Okay fine. Super Lovers is gay. Nothing sexual happens but apparently touching and kissing is enough to be gay to the majority of you. But is that enough to turn you off? Underneath the shounen-ai I found an interesting story, and I'd imagine that there are many other anime that have homosexual relationships that have good characters and engaging stories. But even I avoid certain genres because they make me uncomfortable.

Where do people draw the line between what they can accept in their anime? Or what they don't want to watch because it makes them uncomfortable.
AversaMay 30, 2016 11:27 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 12, 2016 3:22 PM

May 2016
... What? Why does Yaoi even exist??
May 12, 2016 3:23 PM

Sep 2012
Because if I don't tell everybody about how not-gay I am, people might think that I'm gay.
May 12, 2016 3:23 PM

Sep 2015
Jacob, stop. If you wanna be gay, be gay, period.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

May 12, 2016 3:24 PM

Jan 2012
Gay anime: Boku no Pico, because it have gay sex (you know what I'm talking about)
Free don't seems gay for me. It's just man... swimming.
May 12, 2016 3:25 PM

Nov 2015
-Senpai- said:

When you learn to appreciate the Mongolian Death Worm, then you have the right to post in my threads. Not before.

Also change your signature.
May 12, 2016 3:26 PM

Sep 2012
Vini310 said:
Gay anime: Boku no Pico, because it have gay sex (you know what I'm talking about)
Free don't seems gay for me. It's just man... swimming.
Including more than one male character automatically qualifies any anime as the gayest anime of the year. And heaven forbid they actually interact with each other, that's just pushing the limit.

Dec 2015
First of all, it is Shonen-Ai, because it does have love between males.

Now, you say that is not gay because it doesn't have "sex" or something like that but just a few kisses here and there.

You're basically stating that to be "gay" it needs to have "sex" or that kind of scene, right? I don't know then why are you so upset.

And well, many people avoid them because is not their cup of tea, and maybe it is low rated by the people that actually are watching it, I don't see something wrong there.

May 2014
I don't avoid gay anime

I embrace it.

As for super lovers, laugh my fucking ass off. How do people think this is a yaoi? Honestly, it's judging a book by it's cover and they're missing out of a good story.
May 12, 2016 3:29 PM

Sep 2015
NasalShark said:
-Senpai- said:

When you learn to appreciate the Mongolian Death Worm, then you have the right to post in my threads. Not before.

Also change your signature.

I'm thinking in changing it to this:
NasalShark said:

What ya think?
NasalShark said:

May 12, 2016 3:30 PM

Jul 2015
I avoid gay anime like free because I'm straight
Is the same reason why I avoid reverse harem and sports anime with a lot of boys
May 12, 2016 3:31 PM

Aug 2013
I really don't get why some people avoid "gay" anime like it's the bubonic plague either.

What instantly comes to my mind is the anime Shinsekai Yori. There was literally only one very short scene where two guys kissed in 25 episodes. Yet so many people dropped it because it was 2gay4them even though homosexuality was just a very small detail and was really never brought up much again. What a shame...
May 12, 2016 3:32 PM

Nov 2015
JakPatissiere said:

Now, you say that is not gay because it doesn't have "sex" or something like that but just a few kisses here and there.

You're basically stating that to be "gay" it needs to have "sex" or that kind of scene, right? I don't know then why are you so upset.

And well, many people avoid them because is not their cup of tea, and maybe it is low rated by the people that actually are watching it, I don't see something wrong there.

Umm, but they're brothers. They may not be biologically related but that's the relationship they have. Are you saying that every anime with two brothers in it is a Shonen - Ai because they love each other?

Also this is not about the rating, it's about people in my friends list... namely @BlackSad23 calling me gay for liking it.

@-Senpai- You have my complete approval, nipples are the most sensual organ and I would be proud for you to display that.
NasalSharkMay 12, 2016 3:35 PM
May 12, 2016 3:34 PM

Nov 2014
I've tried every type of anime at least once. I'm not watching Super Lovers though because I'm not into child grooming. But I do plan on watching Doukyuusei.
May 12, 2016 3:36 PM

Jul 2015
JakPatissiere said:

Shonen ai literally means attraction to 3d underage boys. I wish people stopped using it as a synonym for yaoi.

tragedydesu said:
I avoid gay anime like free because I'm straight
Is the same reason why I avoid reverse harem and sports anime with a lot of boys

I love Utena because I'm a lez.
/logic
May 12, 2016 3:38 PM

Jul 2012
NasalShark said:
JakPatissiere said:

Umm, but they're brothers. They may not be biologically related but that's the relationship they have. Are you saying that every anime with two brothers in it is a Shonen - Ai because they love each other?

Also this is not about the rating, it's about people in my friends list... namely @BlackSad23 calling me gay for liking it.

@-Senpai- You have my complete approval, nipples are the most sensual organ and I would be proud for you to display that.

The idea is that it's shounen-ai because there's some focus on a romantic relationship between two men or the possibility for one, whether it's playful or serious can range from series to series. One example being yuru yuri as a shoujo ai, now there isn't any direct romance outside of kissing amongst the characters there are a few that are very clearly attracted to each other. Now personally would I ever watch shounen ai? Maybe. But it's extremely low on my priorities since it just doesn't seem like a genre that appeals to me.
May 12, 2016 3:39 PM

Dec 2015
NasalShark said:
JakPatissiere said:

It doesn't matter if they're brothers, cousins, father and son, even could be the same person one from the future and another from the past, it's male x male. Simply as that.

Clebardman said:
JakPatissiere said:

Shonen ai literally means attraction to 3d underage boys. I wish people stopped using it as a synonym for yaoi.

Well, thanks, I didn't knew that :D
May 12, 2016 3:41 PM

Jul 2015
JakPatissiere said:
Well, thanks, I didn't knew that :D

Well, even MAL database misuses the term, I guess I was just nitpicking.
May 12, 2016 3:42 PM

Nov 2015
GamerDLM said:

The idea is that it's shounen-ai because there's some focus on a romantic relationship between two men or the possibility for one, whether it's playful or serious can range from series to series. One example being yuru yuri as a shoujo ai, now there isn't any direct romance outside of kissing amongst the characters there are a few that are very clearly attracted to each other. Now personally would I ever watch shounen ai? Maybe. But it's extremely low on my priorities since it just doesn't seem like a genre that appeals to me.

The possibility for one? Any anime has the possibility for two men to hook up. Also it's not a romantic relationship, or atleast if it is it's not stated. They're treated more like family, by the characters around them and by each other.
JakPatissiere said:

It doesn't matter if they're brothers, cousins, father and son, even could be the same person one from the future and another from the past, it's male x male. Simply as that.

But their relationship isn't romantic, atleast it isn't implied to be. That might be where they're going with this, but I think more likely they're just close family. Just because they kiss a few times doesn't mean they're romantically involved.
May 12, 2016 3:45 PM

Sep 2015
As you wish @NasalShark. Are you proud now?
NasalShark said:

May 12, 2016 3:45 PM

Apr 2014
NasalShark said:
Why do people think Super Lovers is a "gay" anime? It doesn't even have any gay scenes just a few kisses between brothers.

15characterlimit15characterlimit
May 12, 2016 3:46 PM

Nov 2015
-Senpai- said:

So proud Senpai. Come here so I can squeeze your nipples into a purple slushie.

Actually come to think of it, purple slushie is a really bad analogy. Not funny either. You should make sure its obvious I was referencing something at the time or take it down
May 12, 2016 3:50 PM

Jul 2015
I love my yaoi but I can completely understand if some people don't want to watch shounen-ai or yaoi. Same way I don't really like shoujo anime. People have preferences. Also if you read the manga for Super Lovers, it's clearly a shounen-ai. I think it's pretty obvious in the anime too.
May 12, 2016 3:50 PM

Jul 2012
NasalShark said:
GamerDLM said:

The possibility for one? Any anime has the possibility for two men to hook up. Also it's not a romantic relationship, or atleast if it is it's not stated. They're treated more like family, by the characters around them and by each other.

Actually every anime doesn't have the possibility, or else the author would clearly state it and a genre would be associated with it. That's like saying every anime ever is romance because it could happen but it won't.
I mean I'll just be direct, Shounen Ai is basically the more friendly/playful version of Yaoi that can be aired on TV on regular channels because it doesn't contain explicit content.
I'm slightly concerned that you don't think two brothers kissing is a least a little gay, but I'll just move on from that point.
The genre still carries a highly romantic implication like I said the seriousness of which ranges from series to series. I'll add another shoujo ai example since that's what I'm more familiar with, Kampfer. Kampfer had some scenes that really treaded the line for explicit but it never quite crossed it hence why it's Shoujo Ai and not Yuri.
May 12, 2016 3:51 PM

Sep 2015
NasalShark said:
-Senpai- said:

So proud Senpai. Come here so I can squeeze your nipples into a purple slushie.

Actually come to think of it, purple slushie is a really bad analogy. Not funny either. You should make sure its obvious I was referencing something at the time or take it down

You were referencing something? I don't get it....
NasalShark said:

May 12, 2016 3:51 PM

Feb 2016
Gay (adjective): cheerful, happy, bright, glad, lively, etc.

I don't see why anyone would avoid such anime.
May 12, 2016 3:54 PM

Dec 2015
I mean...I get that it's about brotherly love, but Elsa and Anna managed to make it through Frozen without sticking their tongues down each others throats (that didn't happen until I wrote my creepy fanfics)
May 12, 2016 3:54 PM

May 2016
The reason people avoid anime they consider "gay" is because they're afraid of their own sexuality. A lot of men associate their masculinity with their attraction to women, and consider anything gay effeminate.

To put it simply, they're afraid they're going to see something they like. ;)
May 12, 2016 3:57 PM

Nov 2015
GamerDLM said:

Actually every anime doesn't have the possibility, or else the author would clearly state it and a genre would be associated with it. That's like saying every anime ever is romance because it could happen but it won't.
I mean I'll just be direct, Shounen Ai is basically the more friendly/playful version of Yaoi that can be aired on TV on regular channels because it doesn't contain explicit content.
I'm slightly concerned that you don't think two brothers kissing is a least a little gay, but I'll just move on from that point.
The genre still carries a highly romantic implication like I said the seriousness of which ranges from series to series. I'll add another shoujo ai example since that's what I'm more familiar with, Kampfer. Kampfer had some scenes that really treaded the line for explicit but it never quite crossed it hence why it's Shoujo Ai and not Yuri.

Aww, cmon DLM are you telling me you never played hide the Ochinchin with your brothers? :^) Alright, I'll give that to you since I didn't actually know that shonen-ai wasn't completely synonymous with yaoi. But the show isn't really about them in a romantic sense, it's about them as family. And it's an interesting story because of it. Also the possibility that two men will end up romantically involved isn't the same as it actually happening.
May 12, 2016 3:57 PM

Sep 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
I mean...I get that it's about brotherly love, but Elsa and Anna managed to make it through Frozen without sticking their tongues down each others throats (that didn't happen until I wrote my creepy fanfics)

Pls, wait until Frozen 2, they're going for the Tumblr crowd.
NasalShark said:

May 12, 2016 3:59 PM

Jul 2012
NasalShark said:
GamerDLM said:

Aww, cmon DLM are you telling me you never played hide the Ochinchin with your brothers? :^) Alright, I'll give that to you since I didn't actually know that shonen-ai wasn't completely synonymous with yaoi. But the show isn't really about them in a romantic sense, it's about them as family. And it's an interesting story because of it. Also the possibility that two men will end up romantically involved isn't the same as it actually happening.

Only child master race, but just a quick edit super lovers does have a romance tag as well. Granted I'm not watching it I would assume there's at least some romantic tones to it. Now it might be amongst the other characters but I would assume it's focused on the main characters.
May 12, 2016 3:59 PM

Jul 2015
@Clebardman
I'm talking about a shoujo when a lot of hot guys want one girl
Is not normal for a guy to like that kind of shows
Same is not normal for a girl to like a harem
May 12, 2016 4:01 PM

Dec 2015
-Senpai- said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Pls, wait until Frozen 2, they're going for the Tumblr crowd.

Persuading Disney to put some hot lesbian incest action in their movies would officially be the best thing Tumblr ever did.
May 12, 2016 4:04 PM

May 2016
tragedydesu said:
@Clebardman

That is just ridiculous. How is that not normal? Most harem anime are comedies, more than romance stories anyways. Just because the main character happens to be a girl surrounded by guys (how is THAT gay? It's literally the definition of hetero) or a boy surrounded by girls doesn't mean a person of the opposite sex can't enjoy it.
May 12, 2016 4:09 PM

Aug 2015
because i don't like that genre...so should i just watch it to prove how progressive i'm?
P.S.you're not still getting laid after this post op..period
May 12, 2016 4:11 PM

Jan 2013
NasalShark said:
Why do people think Super Lovers is a "gay" anime? It doesn't even have any gay scenes just a few kisses between brothers. Even if their relationship is a little homo, can't you look past that and see the deeper themes about Family and Fulfillment. It's about a lonely man and an emotionally insecure boy and their relationship, but nothing sexual is implied. But the gay associations are enough to turn people off. Another example is Free, although I haven't seen that one.

Do you avoid anime that you consider "gay"? Do you think that's a justifiable reason to give a show a lower score?

Anyone who rated Super Lovers low because it's gay really are making a disservice to the people into that sort of stuff.

I have no clue why you're surprised why heterosexual men would want to avoid homosexual romance in their anime. No one intelligent thinks it's a good idea to condemn it, but come on. All most people are doing are just ignoring it. That's it.

So what if it explores themes and ideas about family, responsibility and all that jazz. You know what else does that? Harem VNs with Harem Ending boning and all that jazz.

Honestly, everything has the propensity to touch on significant topics. That doesn't mean that they're worth anything to people who can't get past the in your face disgust they may feel towards the main aspect of the show.
May 12, 2016 4:11 PM

Aug 2015
KingSwisher said:
tragedydesu said:
@Clebardman

That is just ridiculous. How is that not normal? Most harem anime are comedies, more than romance stories anyways. Just because the main character happens to be a girl surrounded by guys (how is THAT gay? It's literally the definition of hetero) or a boy surrounded by girls doesn't mean a person of the opposite sex can't enjoy it.

if he can't enjoy it just leave him alone what's with this group of people forcing others that they don't like
May 12, 2016 4:13 PM

Jul 2015
ultravigo said:
KingSwisher said:

if he can't enjoy it just leave him alone what's with this group of people forcing others that they don't like

C'mon please. He just wrote "it's not normal for a guy to like X", and we're the evil people forcing our opinions down his throat?
May 12, 2016 4:14 PM

Jan 2013
Clebardman said:
ultravigo said:

C'mon please. He just wrote "it's not normal for a guy to like X", and we're the evil people forcing our opinions down his throat?

How's that forcing an opinion? That's legit fact.
If you like that stuff than bask in your own abnormality.
May 12, 2016 4:14 PM

May 2016
ultravigo said:
KingSwisher said:

I'm not forcing anything on anyone. Where did I ever say that? He's free to like whatever he wants. I just think it's ridiculous to say a woman liking a harem anime or a man liking a reverse harem anime is 'not normal.'
May 12, 2016 4:15 PM

Nov 2015
ultravigo said:
because i don't like that genre...so should i just watch it to prove how progressive i'm?

Damn. I was hoping all the pussy of MAL would rise up and cling to my squirming dick.

I said nothing about progressives. I simply like a show that others avoid because its got gay themes. Stop projecting your anti-SJWism where there are no SJWs.
May 12, 2016 4:17 PM

Jul 2015
TitanAnteus said:
Clebardman said:

You just threw your credibility and the respect I had for you in the garbage bin.
May 12, 2016 4:18 PM

Jan 2013
Clebardman said:
TitanAnteus said:

You just threw your credibility and the respect I had for you in the garbage bin.

Hahahaha. Gotta get better at that sarcasm.
May 12, 2016 4:19 PM

Jul 2015
I don't like yaoi and shounen-ai, because it does not cater to my interests. To begin with, these genres are intended for a female audience, and are usually overflowing with romantic dilusions that fujoshi have about male relationships.

Not to mention that it's everywhere in the doujin scene. Try finding good JoJo doujin without gay Jotaro and Kakyoin....error 404: doujin not found

It's okay that people express themselves in their fanfics, but it's getting out of hand with all the hentai doujin, ESPECIALLY yaoi

Cant trust anime-recommendations from my female friends either,since it's always kind of yaoi....
It's okay to smirk

May 12, 2016 4:19 PM

Jul 2015
TitanAnteus said:
Clebardman said:

Hahahaha. Gotta get better at that sarcasm.

learn2smiley bruh that sarcasm was indetectable :p
May 12, 2016 4:20 PM

Nov 2015
TitanAnteus said:

Anyone who rated Super Lovers low because it's gay really are making a disservice to the people into that sort of stuff.

I have no clue why you're surprised why heterosexual men would want to avoid homosexual romance in their anime. No one intelligent thinks it's a good idea to condemn it, but come on. All most people are doing are just ignoring it. That's it.

So what if it explores themes and ideas about family, responsibility and all that jazz. You know what else does that? Harem VNs with Harem Ending boning and all that jazz.

Honestly, everything has the propensity to touch on significant topics. That doesn't mean that they're worth anything to people who can't get past the in your face disgust they may feel towards the main aspect of the show.

I'm a heterosexual male and I'm getting alot from this show. It's characters and it's themes resonate with me, and I don't mind the homosexual tones. If I were to have avoided it because it's got a male romance in it I feel it would have left me worse off. I'm just trying to start a discussion on whether people should try anime with gay MCs or just avoid them alltogether.
May 12, 2016 4:20 PM

Jul 2015
ultravigo said:
Is rrthat d4anime in your profile pic? I'd help him end his misery *deletes double4anime's youtube-channel*
It's okay to smirk

May 12, 2016 4:21 PM

Jun 2015
I'm pretty sure Super Lovers is going to become a romance. It's called Super Lovers...
Anyway, it's really not a good show.

I guess it can make people feel uncomfortable, I don't know. The way the shows are presented make me feel uncomfortable and I'm gay.

May 12, 2016 4:23 PM

Aug 2015
addioo12 said:
ultravigo said:
Is rrthat d4anime in your profile pic? I'd help him end his misery *deletes double4anime's youtube-channel*

na it's the cyber bully leafyishere.....i thought double4anime died when naruto ended
May 12, 2016 4:27 PM

Jan 2013
NasalShark said:
TitanAnteus said:

I'm a heterosexual male and I'm getting alot from this show. It's characters and it's themes resonate with me, and I don't mind the homosexual tones. If I were to have avoided it because it's got a male romance in it I feel it would have left me worse off. I'm just trying to start a discussion on whether people should try anime with gay MCs or just avoid them alltogether.

I'm gonna feel like a dick for saying this, but there are some things that have a stronger impact on people than other things. Whatever themes the show has will probably be overshadowed by the homosexual overtones. Kind of like how brokeback mountain is a tale about masculinity and homosexuality being viewed as opposites by the forced gender roles society puts on us, but all it can be remembered as is the gay people on a mountain movie.

Look, I don't know about you, but I legitimately get a sense of disgust when I see two male characters get physically intimate. It's not an emotional feeling that I control. It's a gut physical reaction. Same thing happens with two girls for me. I don't like it, but I've seen it as an indicator of my own sexuality. If anything I see, or think about causes that feeling, I'll avoid it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is the most memorable first episode of an anime you've watched?

mahrjose - 27 minutes ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» How to enjoy anime on 4k TV ?! Is there any video player on PC that upscales anime in 4K?

1WanteD1 - Nov 17, 2022

19 by 1WanteD1 »»
5 minutes ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 36 minutes ago

7 by Eleben »»
8 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

116 by Blueberry173 »»
10 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7169 by PUHPUHPUHPOWER »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.