Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime 'Aikatsu Stars!' Announced with New Movie [Update 2/27]

New
Feb 21, 2016 6:40 PM

Jul 2009
The official website of the Aikatsu! movies has announced that the second installment will be titled Aikatsu Stars! Movie. The movie will open in theaters on August 13, 2016, and will be double-billed with a special anime titled Aikatsu!: Nerawareta Mahou no Aikatsu Card.

Aikatsu Stars! is also the title of a new TV anime series that will air on TV Tokyo beginning April 7. It will air on Thursdays at 6:25 p.m. (Aikatsu! is currently airing in the 6:30 p.m. time slot.) A key visual for the new series (pictured) was also revealed.

The new series follows Yume Nijino, who enters Yotsuboshi Academy and aims to become a top idol. In the movie, the students of the academy will travel to an island in the south in search of a legendary dress.

Source: Animate.tv, Eiga Natalie

Update February 22
An official website has opened for Aikatsu Stars! indicating that the series will air on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m., in the time slot currently occupied by Aikatsu! Director Ryuuichi Kimura has also confirmed on his Twitter account that Aikatsu! will end its broadcast in March.

Official site: http://www.aikatsu.com/stars/

Update February 27
The Aikatsu Stars! Project Announcement Event has announced the voice cast members of the series. Production staff members were also revealed in new promotional material released earlier this week.

Cast
Yume Nijino: Miyu Tomita (Oshiete! Galko-chan)
Laura Sakuraba: Ayaka Asai (Hibike! Euphonium)
Hime Shiratori: Minami Tsuda (Pretty Rhythm: Dear My Future)
Tsubasa Kisaragi: Sumire Morohoshi (Aikatsu!)
Yuzu Nikaidou: Azusa Tadokoro (Musaigen no Phantom World)
Yozora Kasumi: Ayaka Ohashi (The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls)

Staff
Director: Teruo Satou (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn)
Series Composition: Yuuko Kakihara (Digimon Adventure tri.)
Character Design: Yukiko Aikyou (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)
Supervisor: Ryuuichi Kimura (Aikatsu!)
Studio: Bandai Namco Pictures

Opening Theme: "Start Line!" by AIKATSU☆STARS!
Ending Theme: "episode Solo" by AIKATSU☆STARS!

Aikatsu! Project Announcement Event
tsubasaloverApr 5, 2016 6:50 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Feb 21, 2016 6:41 PM

Apr 2014
ill be sure to check it out

the anime itself is long but really enjoyable
Feb 21, 2016 6:52 PM

Mar 2014
in search of a legendary dress.
And then they'll have a LEGENDARY idol singing contest, or something, yeah!
Feb 21, 2016 7:06 PM
Mar 2014
About time we got an official announcement.
Feb 21, 2016 7:17 PM

Mar 2012
arsonal said:

Aikatsu Stars! is also the title of a new TV anime series that will air on TV Tokyo beginning April 7. It will air on Thursdays at 6:25 p.m. immediately before Aikatsu! A key visual for the new series (pictured) was also revealed.

Does that mean Aikatsu anime will end and it's time slot will be replaced with Aikatsu Stars!?
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Feb 21, 2016 7:26 PM

Jul 2009
Zeta-Astacion said:
Does that mean Aikatsu anime will end and it's time slot will be replaced with Aikatsu Stars!?

I don't believe so. Aikatsu!'s slot is 18:30, and Aikatsu Stars! is 18:25. There's no indication that Aikatsu! is ending, so the latter may end up being short episodes.

Edit: Aikatsu Stars! is also scheduled for the same time slot as Aikatsu! on BS Japan (Mondays at 5:00 p.m.), so it replacing the former series is possible. I've updated the article to make it more ambiguous.
arsonalFeb 21, 2016 7:38 PM
Feb 21, 2016 7:53 PM

May 2013
Paulo27 said:
in search of a legendary dress.
And then they'll have a LEGENDARY idol singing contest, or something, yeah!

legendary card is given by legendary idol that is starmiya.
Feb 21, 2016 8:18 PM

Jun 2014
If Aikatsu is completely replaced.. that means it got cancelled and didn't end its run. Season four will end much shorter than the rest and the entire story won't finish. TBH, it stuns me to cancel Aikatsu with a movie due this Summer.
Feb 21, 2016 8:36 PM
Mar 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
If Aikatsu is completely replaced.. that means it got cancelled and didn't end its run.

Aikatsu switched to 2-cour runs in the fall, so this will complete it.
Feb 21, 2016 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
Max said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
If Aikatsu is completely replaced.. that means it got cancelled and didn't end its run.

That's true, though I still feel like its getting cancelled over finishing. Especially since a movie of Aikatsu is due Summer 2016 with Akari and friends.

If it wasn't cancelled and gets a convincing ending, I still won't be satisfied.
Feb 21, 2016 8:47 PM

Nov 2008
Maybe I'll give this a try, Yume looks adorable, I'll have to face the CG dancing eventually, I need to listen to my melting-prone heart instead of my brain that's telling me CG is bad and wrong in idol anime.

Feb 21, 2016 9:25 PM

Jul 2008
arsonal said:
Zeta-Astacion said:

I don't believe so. Aikatsu!'s slot is 18:30, and Aikatsu Stars! is 18:25. There's no indication that Aikatsu! is ending, so the latter may end up being short episodes.

Edit: Aikatsu Stars! is also scheduled for the same time slot as Aikatsu! on BS Japan (Mondays at 5:00 p.m.), so it replacing the former series is possible. I've updated the article to make it more ambiguous.

It seems a little too idealistic to think this would be a short anime airing before Aikatsu, with the latter series continuing on. The game system in arcades is changing to Aikatsu Stars, and the anime was based on the game system to begin with. And it is hard for me to believe they would release a feature film about a short series, while the main series is still running alongside it.

Though I realize that the article is just based on the news available haha.
Feb 21, 2016 9:34 PM

Jul 2009
News Update
An official website has opened for Aikatsu Stars! indicating that the series will air on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m., in the time slot currently occupied by Aikatsu! Director Ryuuichi Kimura has also confirmed on his Twitter account that Aikatsu! will end its broadcast in March.

Official site: http://www.aikatsu.com/stars/
Feb 21, 2016 9:41 PM

Mar 2013
So Aikatsu it's finally gonna end huh. I wish I watched the series from the beginning...
@gisselle I bet you'll be happy with this.
Feb 21, 2016 10:51 PM
Mar 2015
I feel so sad that this is happening I love aikatsu so much it makes me so sad to hear it is finally ending and I feel like crying Aikatsu gives me so much joy :( Hopefully the new series will be great as well as the original And in the later seasons of Aikatsu the animation actually LOOKS GREAT AND NOT POORLY DONE LIKE THIS IS A TOP NOTCH IDOL ANIME SERIOUSLY GO LOOK UP AIKATSU AND ANY CG ANIMATION BEYOND EPISODE 50 IS WONDERFUL...OK GUYS SERIOUSLY WATCH THIS
dreamcupcakeFeb 21, 2016 10:56 PM
Feb 21, 2016 11:03 PM

Apr 2009
i'll definitely watch this to crave my liking for Aikatsu :)
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Feb 21, 2016 11:25 PM
Apr 2012
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Max said:

That's true, though I still feel like its getting cancelled over finishing. Especially since a movie of Aikatsu is due Summer 2016 with Akari and friends.

If it wasn't cancelled and gets a convincing ending, I still won't be satisfied.

That's how it feels as they have not handled the transition between the two shows well. This has been in the works for some time, probably since last summer, and season 4 has experienced falling quality episode by episode, especially with the second half. There's been signs like a lower number of new songs compared to previous seasons (the endless train of lucky train! while it is a nice track becomes boring after a while), recycling old songs a lot, announcing the movie for summer not winter, ending the Japan tour arc seemingly early (and with a lot of filler), Starlight Queen Cup being earlier than usual (and with a lot of filler), manga being cancelled and so on.

If they'd been clearer that season 4 was the last season of original Aikatsu and adjusted plot development and maintained quality I think it would have been better. Hopefully we'll get a good few final episodes and see Akari's arc off with a bang.

At the end of the day though the anime serves to sell the arcade game, which has been struggling against PriPara. I feel it's the right time to reboot the franchise but a shame all the current anime and merchandise has to be cut short to go with it.
Feb 22, 2016 2:07 AM

Feb 2011
I find it strange that they're cutting season 4 short by half a year, it's quite a shame. Was looking forward to 200+ episodes :(

In any case, I'll watch Aikatsu Stars!, but not right away. I was already thinking of putting Aikatsu! on on-hold for a while, I still enjoy the show but I haven't gotten into it as much as I used to.
Feb 22, 2016 3:11 AM

Sep 2014
I'm absolutely devastated. Aikatsu means so much to me I'm crushed that its going to end. I could have watched it for 1000's of episodes and I had so many hopes for it. I don't feel ready at all for this show to end, and I don't feel ready to leave Starlight and Dream Academy, its like moving away from my best friends.

That being said, I will definitely watch Aikatsu Stars, I am committed to Aikatsu and if in the long run it means more from this world than there would have been, I can only be happy about that.

RIP Aikatsu, and thanks for the memories.
Feb 22, 2016 5:05 AM

Apr 2009
@Palea i'm already also in my deppest memories of this Aikatsu and the fave characters that we all love will be our forever comrades and also RIP to the current series and welcome the new one :3

Feb 22, 2016 6:41 AM

Mar 2011
Looks too moe for Aikatsu, I wonder what happened...
Feb 22, 2016 7:05 AM

Jul 2012
the timing for this is so bad and confusing but i'm still really excited!! i do wish aikatsu would get a proper final season/ending but i also feel grateful that we even got as much as we did. plus we still have photokatsu!
Feb 22, 2016 8:55 AM

Nov 2008
Frezlaj said:
Looks too moe for Aikatsu, I wonder what happened...

It needs to be extra moe to compete with Precure.

Feb 22, 2016 11:11 AM

Jul 2011
i'm so mad, how could they just abruptly end OG aikatsu like that
also character designs for aikatsu stars is...ugly
Feb 22, 2016 12:15 PM

Oct 2011
well sales dropped a lot (in 3Q of 2014 it had 9 billion yen, in 3Q 2015 it was 3.5) so no wonder Bandai decided to do something with it.

I like idea of new school and it would be better if they went Precure route - each season something different (like different place, to start with). maybe from time to time crossover competition.
Aikatsu was fine at first but it started to feel like they are just repeating stuff, just with way weaker characters - Sumire was great but Akari as main character was just meh.
Feb 22, 2016 1:00 PM

Jun 2008
I was expecting it to reach 200 episodes (poor Nono and Risa), but I guess they're just going to finish the Starlight Queen Cup and wrap it up thereafter. It is a little bittersweet; I still love the show, but it's never been as good as the first season was. I'll always miss Ichigo.

Anyway, I'll give Aikatsu Stars! a shot. Maybe the reboot will ultimately be for the better.
Feb 22, 2016 1:29 PM

Nov 2008
Dalek-baka said:
well sales dropped a lot (in 3Q of 2014 it had 9 billion yen, in 3Q 2015 it was 3.5) so no wonder Bandai decided to do something with it.

I like idea of new school and it would be better if they went Precure route - each season something different (like different place, to start with). maybe from time to time crossover competition.
Aikatsu was fine at first but it started to feel like they are just repeating stuff, just with way weaker characters - Sumire was great but Akari as main character was just meh.

Yeah, a single idol anime is not meant to have 100-200 episodes. This needs around 50-60.

Feb 22, 2016 1:42 PM

Aug 2010
Who knew that an idol show could last this long?
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Feb 22, 2016 2:23 PM

Feb 2013
mirana said:
So Aikatsu it's finally gonna end huh. I wish I watched the series from the beginning...
@gisselle I bet you'll be happy with this.

Oh my goooooood of course! I'm so happy! Looks super moe, I'm so ready.

Feb 22, 2016 3:24 PM

Oct 2011
Hoppy said:
Yeah, a single idol anime is not meant to have 100-200 episodes. This needs around 50-60.
I'm not sure - Aikatsu is strange one: they are trying to make stuff more grounded in reality (to some extent of course - as pointed young idols wouldn't be taking part in planing an event) there is limited amount of things they could do here. Somehow I think they were surprised by success of it: which lead to some weird decisions - DreAca was fine idea which was very poorly executed. And they went back to what worked earlier... with rather poor results.

Still I can imagine something like PriPara going for 100-200 episodes. Setting is crazy to begin with so if they decide to put aliens, time travel or whatever wouldn't be so weird.
Feb 23, 2016 12:37 AM

Apr 2009
oliviette said:
i'm so mad, how could they just abruptly end OG aikatsu like that
also character designs for aikatsu stars is...ugly
ugly huh? we will see about that but for me i'll give this a try and a chance! since i'm also addicted to Aikatsu :)

Feb 27, 2016 1:20 AM

Jul 2009
News Update
The Aikatsu Stars! Project Announcement Event has announced the voice cast members of the series. Production staff members were also revealed in new promotional material released earlier this week.

Cast
Yume Nijino: Miyu Tomita (Oshiete! Galko-chan)
Laura Sakuraba: Ayaka Asai (Hibike! Euphonium)
Hime Shiratori: Minami Tsuda (Pretty Rhythm: Dear My Future)
Tsubasa Kisaragi: Sumire Morohoshi (Aikatsu!)
Yuzu Nikaidou: Azusa Tadokoro (Musaigen no Phantom World)
Yozora Kasumi: Ayaka Ohashi (The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls)

Staff
Director: Teruo Satou (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn)
Series Composition: Yuuko Kakihara (Digimon Adventure tri.)
Character Design: Yukiko Aikyou (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)
Supervisor: Ryuuichi Kimura (Aikatsu!)
Studio: Bandai Namco Pictures

Opening Theme: "Start Line!" by AIKATSU☆STARS!
Ending Theme: "episode Solo" by AIKATSU☆STARS!

Aikatsu! Project Announcement Event
arsonalFeb 27, 2016 1:30 AM
Feb 27, 2016 5:41 AM
Mar 2014
I want to sigh in the general direction of whoever the art director is. Pastel characters on a pastel background looks terrible.
Feb 28, 2016 12:02 AM
Feb 2014
Max said:
I want to sigh in the general direction of whoever the art director is. Pastel characters on a pastel background looks terrible.

But it's always been that way.

Anyways, looks like we got a fresh cast coming up. Some old and new faces, can't wait for the new project to kick off!
Feb 28, 2016 8:37 AM

Nov 2008
The voice cast is decent.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

12 by _ATG_ »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
4 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
12 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.