Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 11, 2016 6:54 PM
Jan 2016
gabrielrroiz said:
i fail to see how the coincidence of the way the revival works is not a plot convenience to resolve the conflict of the series

That's too bad then. I am sure you will understand what plot convenience means if you read the article & try to understand it more.
Feb 11, 2016 6:59 PM
Feb 2013
I don't get how her mom didn't even believe her dad didn't stole a fucking chocolate bar but now believes her.
Feb 11, 2016 7:06 PM
Jul 2012
TheServant said:
gabrielrroiz said:
i fail to see how the coincidence of the way the revival works is not a plot convenience to resolve the conflict of the series

That's too bad then. I am sure you will understand what plot convenience means if you read the article & try to understand it more.

Perhaps I can help this along, TheServant...
You see, gabrielrroiz, an example of plot device would be the end of the first Pokemon movie. Ash dies, only to be revived by the power of friendship. Friendship is the plot device.

Plot is the story and the characters interacting within said story.

You are literally complaining about the plot.
Feb 11, 2016 7:07 PM
Jan 2016
Shirokan said:
I don't get how her mom didn't even believe her dad didn't stole a fucking chocolate bar but now believes her.

Well, I still cannot believe all of those things happened because of a bar of chocolate.
Feb 11, 2016 7:09 PM
Jul 2012
TheServant said:
Shirokan said:

Well, I still cannot believe all of those things happened because of a bar of chocolate.

Pure sugar substitute propaganda!!! The American war on sugar has finally reached the shores of Japan...
Feb 11, 2016 7:10 PM
Jan 2016
Saeba_D_Guyver said:
Perhaps I can help this along, TheServant...

Oh. How nice of you. Thank you. We definitely need more nice users like you in MAL.
Feb 11, 2016 7:12 PM

Jul 2014
TheServant said:
gabrielrroiz said:
the anime never established satori can not go back to the past in any moment because there are no rules about how time Travel work in that setting
and as there is no rule about how time travel work in that setting him being able to go twice back 20 twenty years in the past to the time kayo was alive is plot convinence

Exactly, we know almost nothing about how "the revival" works because the anime never established anything clear about it. There are no clear rules about it. Even Satoru barely knows how it works. So for you to assume he can go as many time as he wants is nothing more than a speculation, which something you cannot bring up as a proof to criticize an anime.
Like I said, please go to the link that I just gave & try to understand what plot convenience means. Because if you do not understand it, then our conversation is pointless. And I do not want to be involved in a pointless conversation. Sorry.

I agree that right now, this Revival ability is one hell of a plot convenience. No explanation for it at all yet, and it seems to happen spontaneously.

There are also too many (side) characters in this show who I don't really care about, because almost all of them lack any substantial development. So far, I really only have some investment in Satoru, his mom, and Kayo. Airi has potential, but she hasn't gotten enough time for me to connect with her yet (it doesn't help that the plot focus has abruptly shifted from Kayo to Airi right now, though I guess that'll change with the next episode).
LightBladeNovaFeb 11, 2016 7:16 PM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Feb 11, 2016 7:14 PM

Jul 2015
I guess another revival's going to happen.
5/5 for me
Feb 11, 2016 7:19 PM

Jul 2014
Damn cliffhaggers ¬¬

Started a bit slow, but ended really well. Cannot wait for the next episode.
Feb 11, 2016 7:19 PM
Jan 2016
LightBladeNova said:
I agree that right now, this Revival ability is one hell of a plot convenience. No explanation for it at all yet, and it seems to happen spontaneously.

Yet another user who does not understand what plot convenience really means. You also should read the article in the link I just gave. I am sure that will help your understanding, even just by a tiny bit.
Feb 11, 2016 7:26 PM

Nov 2014
Shirokan said:

That's exacly the point. I thought it was a great character development to show this right after Airi telling her history to Fujinuma. Her mother repented for not having trusted Airi's father, that's why she believed her daughter, to not repeat the same mistake.
______

Oh man, that's cruel. Ending the episode right when he meets the killer AND right before another revival starts? Are they trying to force us to read the manga? ç_ç
Well, nevertheless, really great episode, with lot of new informations that... well, didn't add much, to say the truth (besides the Nishizono and Hinazuki's death parts).
And now comes another revival, when will it lead Fujinuma to? I'm guessing he's going back to his childhood again. At first glance it does looks too convenient that he can keep going back to the same point more than once, but when you think that it's not him that controls it, it does not look so convenient at all. Also, there's always a trigger that makes him go back to some point, and no one said that must have just one trigger to each point of time, hence multiple triggers would take him to the same spot. And it leaved an incompleteness taste when he gone back to the future after Kayo's death, so I really believe it'd be interesting if he could go back at least once more...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2016 7:28 PM

Jul 2014
TheServant said:
LightBladeNova said:

Yet another user who does not understand what plot convenience really means. You also should read the article in the link I just gave. I am sure that will help your understanding, even just by a tiny bit.

I don't appreciate you sounding like I'm being dumb.

Alright, not exactly plot convenience then, but the fact remains that this Revival ability hasn't gotten any kind of explanation yet; this is made worse by how spontaneous it seems to be. So until it gets some kind of explanation (if it does), then it'll just leave me somewhat dissatisfied.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Feb 11, 2016 7:30 PM

Nov 2011
I thought that piece of paper would hold the answer, it only held a piece of information!
Airi's mother replacing her at the hospital was so unexpected as well, it was awesome. This anime just keeps blowing my mind week after week. Then the ending...THE ENDING GOD DAMMIT!!!!!

It's just so damn exhilarating!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 11, 2016 7:30 PM
Jul 2012
gabrielrroiz said:
\the anime never established satori can not go back to the past in any moment because there are no rules about how time Travel work in that setting
and as there is no rule about how time travel work in that setting him being able to go twice back 20 twenty years in the past to the time kayo was alive is plot convinence

To quote William Cowper and Carl Sagan:
"The absence of proof is not proof of absence."

Surely, we can all just wait for the next episode to see just how far back this next jump actually takes our protagonist, before complaining about how convenient the time travel function is for Satoru. For all we know, it will take him back to the park, so he does not stop to help the boys with the toy plane. Maybe the women recalled his face from the news and called the authorities. Can you definitively state that did not happen? Based on what the show has presented the viewing public: NO.

So let us relax and enjoy the show. Or do not enjoy the show. That is entirely up to each person here. Let us just keep the criticisms to only what the show is giving us, and not assume where it is maybe possibly making bad future decisions.
Feb 11, 2016 7:33 PM

Nov 2014
LightBladeNova said:
TheServant said:

Yet another user who does not understand what plot convenience...

Alright, not exactly plot convenience then, but the fact remains that this Revival ability hasn't gotten any kind of explanation yet; this is made worse by how spontaneous it seems to be. So until it gets some kind of explanation (if it does), then it'll just leave me somewhat dissatisfied.

It'll problably get some explanation, but I think the spontaneousness makes it NOT convenient at all. It'd be much more convenient if Fujinuma could use it at will, going back whenever things went wrong and redoing everything multiple times...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2016 7:36 PM
Jan 2016
LightBladeNova said:

You are not dumb, you just do not understand what plot convenience exactly means. That's all. I am sorry that I offended you.

Now that makes much more sense. It's indeed not explained that much, though I do not mind if it's not explained in the end. Because so far the main conflict of the anime is not "the revival" itself, but the mysterious killer case. But if in some way the killer's motivation is connected with "the revival," then it definitely needs to be explained further.
Feb 11, 2016 7:37 PM

Jul 2014
RyugamiKuroryu said:
LightBladeNova said:

It'll problably get some explanation, but I think the spontaneousness makes it NOT convenient at all. It'd be much more convenient if Fujinuma could use it at will, going back whenever things went wrong and redoing everything multiple times...

Ah, that's true, I hadn't thought of that, my bad then. Hoping it'll get some explanation, yeah.

Feb 11, 2016 7:42 PM

Oct 2014
Saeba_D_Guyver said:
gabrielrroiz said:
\the anime never established satori can not go back to the past in any moment because there are no rules about how time Travel work in that setting

To quote William Cowper and Carl Sagan:
"The absence of proof is not proof of absence."

Surely, we can all just wait for the next episode to see just how far back this next jump actually takes our protagonist, before complaining about how convenient the time travel function is for Satoru. For all we know, it will take him back to the park, so he does not stop to help the boys with the toy plane. Maybe the women recalled his face from the news and called the authorities. Can you definitively state that did not happen? Based on what the show has presented the viewing public: NO.

So let us relax and enjoy the show. Or do not enjoy the show. That is entirely up to each person here. Let us just keep the criticisms to only what the show is giving us, and not assume where it is maybe possibly making bad future decisions.

i know how much the time jump will take him next people spoiled the hole manga for me
Feb 11, 2016 7:43 PM
Jul 2012
RyugamiKuroryu said:

Personally, the lack of explanation is what makes this story work so well for me. Right now, the audience literally knows only as much as Satoru: all the current events are experienced by us while he lives them, and all the past experiences are provided as he himself remembers them. There is no Coana moment of Satoru already knowing the seasonal snowfall history of his town, helping him deduce the who, when and how of the crimes.

Also, having him understand the how and why of the time jumps would make him able to manipulate the ability to his own desires. The randomness and unknown is exciting. Controlling a phenomenal cosmic power for no reason is boring...
Feb 11, 2016 7:43 PM

Nov 2014
TheServant said:
LightBladeNova said:

Alright, not exactly plot convenience then, but....

You are not dumb, you just do not understand what plot convenience exactly means. That's all. I am sorry that I offended you.

Now that makes much more sense. It's indeed not explained that much, though I do not mind if it's not explained in the end. Because so far the main conflict of the anime is not "the revival" itself, but the mysterious killer case. But if in some way the killer's motivation is connected with "the revival," then it definitely needs to be explained further.

Although it really isn't the story focus, I'd be really disappointed if they don't explain at least a bit about revival and I do think it'd be a big flaw. Just putting some supernatural power in the MC like this and not giving any explanation about it would be, at least, very non-sense, considering the great importance it have to the plot. I don't think they'll explain it thoroughly, but at least at some point it'll problably connect with the main plot...
Feb 11, 2016 7:45 PM

Jul 2014
TheServant said:
LightBladeNova said:

Sorry, it was just your wording that made me feel like that.

Well, at the very least, I think there should be some explanation for why Revival was suddenly able to transport Satoru 18 years into the past, when it normally only moves back 1-5 minutes. Why was it different this time? Does Satoru's thoughts/desires have any role in this? It doesn't have to be a perfect, elaborate explanation, but *something* would be appreciated.

Feb 11, 2016 7:45 PM

Oct 2014
Saeba_D_Guyver said:
RyugamiKuroryu said:

Personally, the lack of explanation is what makes this story work so well for me. Right now, the audience literally knows only as much as Satoru: all the current events are experienced by us while he lives them, and all the past experiences are provided as he himself remembers them. There is no Coana moment of Satoru already knowing the seasonal snowfall history of his town, helping him deduce the who, when and how of the crimes.

Also, having him understand the how and why of the time jumps would make him able to manipulate the ability to his own desires. The randomness and unknown is exciting. Controlling a phenomenal cosmic power for no reason is boring...

but having a random event always occurring in convinient ways to advance the plot is dumb
Feb 11, 2016 7:50 PM
Jul 2012
gabrielrroiz said:

Oh, okay, so you
That's_cool,brah...

Like I said before, save your complaints about how next episode goes for next episode's discussion.
Feb 11, 2016 7:51 PM

Nov 2014
[quote=Saeba_D_Guyver message=44698717]
RyugamiKuroryu said:

It'll problably get some explanation .../quote]

I agree completely with the ACTUAL lack of explanation being a good part of the series. It's really as you say, we see the development of the fact together with the MC, wich makes easier for us to dive in the narrative and care for the character. But that does not means that an explanation can't come at some time, as long as we get to know it together with Fujinuma...
And no, he getting to know something about how the Revival works does not necessarily makes him capable of controling it. For now, it looks to me that his revivals aren't random at all, it looks that there's some sentient being controling it, wich would certainly impede Fujinuma of getting control of it...
Feb 11, 2016 7:52 PM
Jan 2016
RyugamiKuroryu said:
I don't think they'll explain it thoroughly, but at least at some point it'll problably connect with the main plot...

If it's connected to the main conflict, then of course we need more explanation. But as of now, it does not need to be explained. Because if it's explained just for the sake of explaining, then it will be pointless. Not everything needs to be explained. It's not some kind of mainstream shounen anime that really like to explain everything just because they can. And of course we do not want another Mahouka, which really eager to explain everything which resulting in a confusing piece of storytelling.

Saeba_D_Guyver said:

Exactly. Absolutely on point.

LightBladeNova said:
Well, at the very least, I think there should be some explanation for why Revival was suddenly able to transport Satoru 18 years into the past, when it normally only moves back 1-5 minutes. Why was it different this time? Does Satoru's thoughts/desires have any role in this? It doesn't have to be a perfect, elaborate explanation, but *something* would be appreciated.

I absolutely agree. Those things indeed need some explanation. I hope a brief one.
AServantFeb 11, 2016 7:55 PM
Feb 11, 2016 7:56 PM

Jun 2013
All in all, I think that might have been the best episode so far
the ending gave me fucking goosebumps!
Feb 11, 2016 7:57 PM
Jul 2012
gabrielrroiz said:

but having a random event always occurring in convinient ways to advance the plot is dumb

The plot is literally, from the first five minutes of the first episode, from the protagonist's own mental dialogue:
Sometimes bad things happen around me, and for some unknown reason,
I am sent back in time, a couple moments before the incident.
I take that as a chance to try to do what I can to keep it from happening.

And in episode two, again, from the character:
I've never gone back more than a couple minutes.
What's going on here?
How did this happen?!

You are complaining about the very core of the story...
Feb 11, 2016 8:01 PM

Oct 2014
[quote=TheServant message=44698821]
RyugamiKuroryu said:
I don't think they'll explain it thoroughly, but at least at some point it'll problably connect with the main plot...

If it's connected to the main conflict, then of course we need more explanation. But as of now, it does not need to be explained. Because if it's explained just for the sake of explaining, then it will be pointless. Not everything needs to be explained. It's not some kind of mainstream shounen anime that really like to explain everything just because they can. And of course we do not want another Mahouka, which really eager to explain everything which resulting in a confusing piece of storytelling.
how is the revival not connected to the main conflict?
the only reason the conflict exists is because satori can go to the past and stop the chain of events that will result in her mother death
also the problem with not explaining the power of satori is that he lives in a realistic setting where supernatural abilities so any supernatural that appears in the series has to be explained
Feb 11, 2016 8:02 PM

Jul 2014
Saeba_D_Guyver said:
gabrielrroiz said:

The plot is literally, from the first five minutes of the first episode, from the protagonist's own mental dialogue:
Sometimes bad things happen around me, and for some unknown reason,
I am sent back in time, a couple moments before the incident.
I take that as a chance to try to do what I can to keep it from happening.

And in episode two, again, from the character:
I've never gone back more than a couple minutes.
What's going on here?
How did this happen?!

You are complaining about the very core of the story...

It'll be a legitimate complaint by the end of the story if there's no halfway decent explanation *at all*. But right now, I can agree that it's okay for the story not to explain stuff yet.

Feb 11, 2016 8:04 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
A very nice episode that moved the anime along to "the arrest" of our MC. The anime is still exciting to me since it is full of things that may or may not be clues as to the final outcome. The Revival ability is not overdone and completely lacks the control of time travel ala Steins Gate. This is a series where I don't feel the need to know any more information than what is fed to me each episode. I like to savor the anticipation of the next installment.
Feb 11, 2016 8:06 PM

Jul 2014
TonyTheme said:
Sokah said:
What I found odd was their plane floating down the river at the end.
Symbolism about not truly helping others if you follow his monologue about the grim reaper. His help to get it to fly ended up with them losing their plane immediately. Seemed unnecessary.

Too much time had passed for the plane to be where it was from his throw. There is more weight to it being a hint that those two kids just got murdered to frame him by the killer he just saw and the two women in that clumsy scene to be witnesses that he was involved with them than for it to be any sort of symbolism.

If it was symbolism then it doesn't really match helping the kids or helping the girl in the past. In both of those situations he improved the situation slightly and didn't draw other people in.

Saeba_D_Guyver said:

Your personal opinion on adult men around children may vary, but that only helps you appreciate the social flaws the story is addressing.

Your opinion of societal flaws may vary, but it doesn't match reality. Some guy walking through a park and helping a couple boys with their non-functioning toy doesn't draw ire anywhere on the planet.

The scene was at best clumsy if not outright dumb. As I said above, I ASSUME it is a clumsy scene to have people who can place him with the two boys when he gets framed for their death. If not, then it's just stupid.

Anyway, there was a butterfly so either he is going back or he's going to get a chance to save someone.
Jan 2016
I really think a government official is the killer or the teacher, but that is my prediction at least
Jul 2012
RyugamiKuroryu said:
And no, he getting to know something about how the Revival works does not necessarily makes him capable of controling it. For now, it looks to me that his revivals aren't random at all, it looks that there's some sentient being controling it, wich would certainly impede Fujinuma of getting control of it...

What I mean by manipulate would be him realizing intense emotional stress or physical danger being a trigger for the Revival, whenever something looks bad, just walk into traffic or stab himself. Foolproof? Nope. But he would definitely try to figure a way to activate Revival, no matter the cost, at least for his mother's sake.

Now, if some sentient being is controlling the function, that is an extremely intriguing notion. I actually really like that idea. My money is on Kenya. He seemed too understanding in the grade-school redo Revival.
Feb 11, 2016 8:08 PM

Apr 2014
Much better episode than last week, was well directed, especially that ending scene! Gave me chills even though I knew it was coming as a manga reader.
Also, is it just me or did Satoru look different this episode? It's as if a different animation director worked on it. He looked weird...
Feb 11, 2016 8:08 PM
Mar 2009

LightBladeNova said:

I absolutely agree. Those things indeed need some explanation. I hope a brief one.

I don't think it was explicitly explained in the manga as well. But we can assume his Revival went out of control after experiencing the trauma of his mother's murder.
Feb 11, 2016 8:14 PM

Jul 2009
RayAdha said:
Not only Satoru's, even Airi's mother is awesome~

I would agree that Airi's mom is awesome too except this episode basically confirms that she really did divorce her husband over a chocolate bar. You mean to tell me that if only you believed him over the chocolate you'd still be together? OVER CHOCOLATE?
Feb 11, 2016 8:15 PM
Jul 2012
Sokah said:

Saeba_D_Guyver said:

Your personal opinion on adult men around children may vary, but that only helps you appreciate the social flaws the story is addressing.

Your opinion of societal flaws may vary, but it doesn't match reality. Some guy walking through a park and helping a couple boys with their non-functioning toy doesn't draw ire anywhere on the planet.

The scene was at best clumsy if not outright dumb. As I said above, I ASSUME it is a clumsy scene to have people who can place him with the two boys when he gets framed for their death. If not, then it's just stupid.

Anyway, there was a butterfly so either he is going back or he's going to get a chance to save someone.

Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed this was the real world, where children are abducted by strangers, from time to time. We are living in a world where adults are always warning kids to stay away from strangers, don't take candy from strangers, don't help a stranger look for a lost puppy, don't go near cars of people you don't know. The reality of abductions is far less than the fear parents have warrants, but the risk is there, which feeds the fear, which feeds the judgement.

And, like I said, whether those kids were harmed or not, the matter of Yuuki being tried in the court of public opinion for being a grown up hanging around kids was paralleled by this scene.
Saeba_D_GuyverFeb 11, 2016 8:34 PM
Feb 11, 2016 8:18 PM
Jul 2012
Inugirlz said:
...this episode basically confirms that she really did divorce her husband over a chocolate bar. You mean to tell me that if only you believed him over the chocolate you'd still be together? OVER CHOCOLATE?

But... but chocolate is life...
Feb 11, 2016 8:20 PM
Jan 2016
Hongu said:
Also, is it just me or did Satoru look different this episode? It's as if a different animation director worked on it. He looked weird...

He definitely looked different. He looked younger & less depressed. I am not sure why, but I do not think it's because of a different animation director.
Feb 11, 2016 8:21 PM

Mar 2010
Sokah said:
Too much time had passed for the plane to be where it was from his throw. There is more weight to it being a hint that those two kids just got murdered to frame him by the killer he just saw and the two women in that clumsy scene to be witnesses that he was involved with them than for it to be any sort of symbolism.

That's apropos of nothing and just speculation, so how could it be more likely? Especially when that would be downright nonsensical since he leaves immediately and is seen doing so.

It was conscious decision to make the plane exactly (exactly) the same as the one we saw and have it come into frame when he's talking about helping people. We even see Satoru react to it. The thought that too much time passed is meaningless since you don't have the information to confirm that.

If it was symbolism then it doesn't really match helping the kids or helping the girl in the past. In both of those situations he improved the situation slightly and didn't draw other people in.

The monologue was about him not having confidence in his ability and ultimately not being much of help. It was from that perspective, which Airi helps him get out of by pointing out she's not hurt, it's just "the grim reaper's (Satoru's) subjective impression", and he should have more faith in himself. There's no reason to argue against this.
Feb 11, 2016 8:29 PM
Jul 2012
LightBladeNova said:

It'll be a legitimate complaint by the end of the story if there's no halfway decent explanation *at all*. But right now, I can agree that it's okay for the story not to explain stuff yet.

Oh, I absolutely agree it will be a valid issue by the end of the series. Only, the show is just at its half way point. If they explain away the mystery now, it will no longer matter to the plot. I mean, Koya died, and it still took him days of living with regret to return to the present. If we know how it works, it will only be because he knows how it works. And that would dissolve any tension in the story. At least this early on.

It would be like knowing who is who in Danganronpa by episode six...
Feb 11, 2016 8:30 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Inugirlz said:
RayAdha said:
Not only Satoru's, even Airi's mother is awesome~

I would agree that Airi's mom is awesome too except this episode basically confirms that she really did divorce her husband over a chocolate bar. You mean to tell me that if only you believed him over the chocolate you'd still be together? OVER CHOCOLATE?

Despite of her chocolate fetish foolishness long ago, she regretted of what she did to her husband and she was willing to help her daughter which was wanting to help a crime suspect, so she still looks awesome, not as much as Satoru's mother of course.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 11, 2016 8:31 PM
Jul 2012
Catalyze said:
A very nice episode that moved the anime along to "the arrest" of our MC. The anime is still exciting to me since it is full of things that may or may not be clues as to the final outcome. The Revival ability is not overdone and completely lacks the control of time travel ala Steins Gate. This is a series where I don't feel the need to know any more information than what is fed to me each episode. I like to savor the anticipation of the next installment.

*slow clap ensues*
Feb 11, 2016 8:32 PM
Dec 2015
horrible cliffhanger but i think i figured it out. He is about to time travel again, because every time he time travelled he saw this weird neon blue butterfly that appears at the end of this episode.
Feb 11, 2016 8:35 PM

May 2015
It's almost confirmed that the Teacher is the murderer at this point for 3 reasons.

1.) His conversation with Satoru in regards to getting in contact with child services to help Hinazuki was at the very least, a partial lie(child services do not take nearly a year to act on a possible case of abuse).

2.) The teacher has nearly the same facial/bodily build as the murderer from what we've seen thus far.

3.) This episode confirmed that the murderer had to have known the detail of Hiromi being a boy. From the suspects shown at this point, the teacher is the most likely to know such a detail.

Feb 11, 2016 8:35 PM

Jul 2014
TonyTheme said:

The monologue was about him not having confidence in his ability and ultimately not being much of help. It was from that perspective, which Airi helps him get out of by pointing out she's not hurt, it's just "the grim reaper's (Satoru's) subjective impression", and he should have more faith in himself. There's no reason to argue against this.

The plane and his situation share no parallels. It isn't symbolic of his situation. Nor does the plane offer anything to the scene since his manga description is already symbolism.

In fact his manga story doesn't even have any parallel with his situation either. Unless he has gone back that far into the past previously and caused the murders to start, thus causing the "scheduling conflict", but we've been shown none of that.

Nor has his ineffectual bumbling drawn anyone else in. You could say it's his almost complete lack of action which is endangering people. Pretty much the opposite of the grim reaper story.
Feb 11, 2016 8:43 PM
Oct 2013
So is the killer part of the police force!? If he was it would make sense how the police got to the scene of Sachiko's murder so quickly. Does anyone else feel like they can't trust the news reporter.....? Kept getting those vibes
Feb 11, 2016 8:50 PM

Jun 2015
Sokah said:
The plane and his situation share no parallels. It isn't symbolic of his situation. Nor does the plane offer anything to the scene since his manga description is already symbolism.

I disagree - I think the plane absolutely adds to the scene. Satoru wished to show the boys how to make their plane fly higher in the hopes of allowing them to have more fun, a genuinely good-natured act, but his attempts to help only end up causing them to lose their plane in the river. This is representative of how actions, despite having the best of intentions, can often lead to a negative result, reinforcing a theme in this episode. Furthermore, the scene with Satoru, the plane, and the kids draws parallels between him and Yuuki, a man who would try to make children happy out of friendly kindness rather than pedophilia, which lead to his life being ruined. I felt that this rather direct comparison of the two, in addition to being interesting on its own, provides foreshadowing for the events at the end of the episode: Satoru is arrested for crimes he hasn't committed, doomed to face a life behind bars with none believing his innocence, framed by the real culprit (the same man in both cases).
Feb 11, 2016 8:53 PM

Nov 2014
PalpableDespair5 said:
It's almost confirmed that the Teacher is the murderer at this point for 3 reasons.

1.) His conversation with Satoru in regards to getting in contact with child services to help Hinazuki was at the very least, a partial lie(child services do not take nearly a year to act on a possible case of abuse).

2.) The teacher has nearly the same facial/bodily build as the murderer from what we've seen thus far.

3.) This episode confirmed that the murderer had to have known the detail of Hiromi being a boy. From the suspects shown at this point, the teacher is the most likely to know such a detail.

The teacher does seems the most suspect at this point, and that's exactly why I don't think it's him. Also, don't you think the suspect looks too young? The teacher was, if I'm not mistaken, about the same age as Fujinuma, 29, 20 years ago. So now he'd be around 49. The murderer didn't seemed that old at all to me...
Feb 11, 2016 8:58 PM

Mar 2010
Sokah said:

In fact his manga story doesn't even have any parallel with his situation either. Unless he has gone back that far into the past previously and caused the murders to start, thus causing the "scheduling conflict", but we've been shown none of that.

Nor has his ineffectual bumbling drawn anyone else in. You could say it's his almost complete lack of action which is endangering people. Pretty much the opposite of the grim reaper story.
Dude, he was talking about Airi when he mentioned drawing people in and getting them hurt (which is why she mentions she's unhurt). Airi also specifically points out the story is meant to parallel Satoru's situation, which he confirms. Now you're outright dismissing dialogue? The point was he had a warped perspective because of his own hang ups. The plane not offering anything noteworthy to the scene, which I said myself, has nothing to do with the meaning of its inclusion. It wasn't really a necessary element to drive home the point, it was almost cheap.

I'm stopping here because this is stupid.

Equitum said:
I disagree - I think the plane absolutely adds to the scene.
Nice, although I disagree about the necessity of it and the foreshadowing.
TonyThemeFeb 11, 2016 9:08 PM
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2016

1399 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

1108 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2016

769 by Jocku »»
Apr 17, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2016

900 by bakakisima »»
Apr 12, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2016

498 by bakakisima »»
Apr 11, 1:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.