Forum Settings
Forums

Questions/suggestions regarding "sources" field

New
Jan 22, 2016 4:10 AM

May 2008
So I've been going through and adding sources to things, but there aren't any real guidelines from what I can see and I'd like some clarification on a few things.

-What's the difference between "web manga" and "digital manga"?
-What's the difference between "novel" and "book"? "Book" should already be covered by "light novel" and "picture book", should it not? Perhaps a "children's book" field is also required, maybe? "Book" just seems a bit too broad for me.
-With side-story entries, is the source the source of the main material (ie light novel), or if it's an original story, is the source "original"? There are several OVAs and movies that aren't adaptations and contain original material.

I'm also making a list of all the possible categories "other" could be so that they could maybe be implemented in the future. I think it would be nice to browse by source type, for people like me who like browsing databases.

So far, this is what I have, and I'm doing it by producer. It's not a lot, but it's an idea.

Also, apologies if I've made any mistakes. I try to be as accurate as possible but I think I might've picked the wrong thing a couple of times :x.
Jan 22, 2016 5:16 AM

Jun 2008
More questions:

-What about parodies, loose adaptations and so on? For example, Souseiki is apparently a parody of some religious movie and the manga Saiyuuki is somewhat based on Journey to the West. Do these count as a sources?
-What if manga and anime and other related products began serialization pretty much simultaneously and it's hard or impossible to tell which one is the "main" product? For example, Android Ana Maico 2010 was an original multimedia project with a radio program, a manga and an anime all airing at the same time. Which one is the source for others?

And I wonder how carefully source sumbissions are examined because it seems that all of mine were accepted and, well, somehow I find it hard to believe that I didn't fuck up anywhere. :D
kuchitsuJan 22, 2016 5:34 AM
Jan 22, 2016 11:39 AM

Jul 2009
Zazie122 said:
-What's the difference between "web manga" and "digital manga"?

Digital manga refers to works whose primary method of delivery is through a mobile application. Web manga encompasses works serialized on web browser readers and online magazines.

Zazie122 said:
-What's the difference between "novel" and "book"? "Book" should already be covered by "light novel" and "picture book", should it not? Perhaps a "children's book" field is also required, maybe? "Book" just seems a bit too broad for me.

Book is intentionally broad in order to include anything that is not already specified as a novel, light novel, or picture book.

Zazie122 said:
-With side-story entries, is the source the source of the main material (ie light novel), or if it's an original story, is the source "original"? There are several OVAs and movies that aren't adaptations and contain original material.

Source is not about plot. It indicates the original work, usually indicated by the Japanese credit 原作.

Zazie122 said:
I'm also making a list of all the possible categories "other" could be so that they could maybe be implemented in the future. I think it would be nice to browse by source type, for people like me who like browsing databases.

So far, this is what I have, and I'm doing it by producer. It's not a lot, but it's an idea.

Also, apologies if I've made any mistakes. I try to be as accurate as possible but I think I might've picked the wrong thing a couple of times :x.

You're overthinking this. Romeo x Juliet may be based on the Shakespeare play, but the production is original in nature. Toilet no Hanako-san has no story as an urban legend; it is merely a concept upon which independent productions can be made.

kuchitsu said:
-What about parodies, loose adaptations and so on? For example, Souseiki is apparently a parody of some religious movie and the manga Saiyuuki is somewhat based on Journey to the West. Do these count as a sources?

See above.

kuchitsu said:
-What if manga and anime and other related products began serialization pretty much simultaneously and it's hard or impossible to tell which one is the "main" product? For example, Android Ana Maico 2010 was an original multimedia project with a radio program, a manga and an anime all airing at the same time. Which one is the source for others?

Simultaneous launch of a multimedia project should be considered original productions, e.g. Luck & Logic and Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid.

kuchitsu said:
And I wonder how carefully source sumbissions are examined because it seems that all of mine were accepted and, well, somehow I find it hard to believe that I didn't fuck up anywhere. :D

I did review your submissions one by one. Vast majority were correct, though I have denied some submissions.
arsonalJan 22, 2016 11:51 AM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jan 22, 2016 11:31 PM

May 2008
arsonal said:

Digital manga refers to works whose primary method of delivery is through a mobile application. Web manga encompasses works serialized on web browser readers and online magazines.

Maybe change "digital manga" to "smartphone manga" or something similar? It seems rather confusing.

Book is intentionally broad in order to include anything that is not already specified as a novel, light novel, or picture book.

Do children's books fall under "book" or "picture book"?

Source is not about plot. It indicates the original work, usually indicated by the Japanese credit 原作.

Gotcha. If that's the case, though, there are several entries where this needs to be fixed. Some of the Bleach and Naruto OVAs/specials have "original" listed as the source, for example, for filler stories.

You're overthinking this. Romeo x Juliet may be based on the Shakespeare play, but the production is original in nature. Toilet no Hanako-san has no story as an urban legend; it is merely a concept upon which independent productions can be made.

But Romeo x Juliet is an adaptation of the play. Sure, it's very loosely based on it, but it's hardly an original work.

I thought "original work" = "original idea". If the creators are using a pre-existing idea, the work shouldn't be considered "original" in my opinion.

See above.

I don't quite get what you mean. A parody work is not an original work. They're still adaptations and re-interpretations and don't count as original works to me.
Jan 23, 2016 12:09 AM

Jul 2009
Zazie122 said:
Do children's books fall under "book" or "picture book"?

It depends on what the the original work is described as in Japanese. Picture book is a translation of the term 絵本.

Zazie122 said:
But Romeo x Juliet is an adaptation of the play. Sure, it's very loosely based on it, but it's hardly an original work.

Romeo x Juliet is inspired by the play; it is not an adaptation. The Japanese credits clearly distinguish 原作 as belonging to Gonzo, while 原案 belongs to William Shakespeare.

Zazie122 said:
I don't quite get what you mean. A parody work is not an original work. They're still adaptations and re-interpretations and don't count as original works to me.

What it means to the viewer does not matter. The information is based on what the work's production credits say.
Jan 23, 2016 6:52 AM

Jun 2008
Thanks for clarifying. Then perhaps I was wrong when I put Radio as a source for Android Ana Maico 2010. I put it there because according to the Japanese wiki the radio program was the first but maybe it still should be considered a simultaneous launch, I'm not really sure. It's not exactly simultaneous but seems like it was all planned together?
kuchitsuJan 23, 2016 6:58 AM
Jan 24, 2016 2:31 AM

Jul 2009
Considering that the radio program aired in its entirety before the anime aired, I'll leave the source as is. The anime credits both the radio station and the mangaka as the original creators.
Jan 25, 2016 1:46 PM

Jun 2008
arsonal said:

I'm still a little confused by this. Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka Special has the same source as the TV series. But, for example, for Bleach movies it says "Source: Original". Is that correct?
Jan 26, 2016 8:33 AM

Jul 2009
kuchitsu said:
I'm still a little confused by this. Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka Special has the same source as the TV series. But, for example, for Bleach movies it says "Source: Original". Is that correct?

My understanding is that this is not a correct use of the Source field. Other moderators may or may not have the same understanding. We have not sat down to discuss a number of guidelines since the new fields were rolled out. I will raise this discussion internally.
Aug 12, 2016 2:04 PM

Jun 2008
How to figure out if a book is a book or a novel? It's confusing. Imo in Russian we just call books books and everyone is happy.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8686 by Psychomorphosis »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Yesterday, 7:33 AM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.