Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (25) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »
Jun 18, 2013 3:29 AM

May 2012
JusticeSoulTuna said:
I couldn't cry for this one cause I feel like the characters themselves did all the crying, haha.
I agree, all the crying in the show (but mostly this episode) felt really forced. Especially in the final scenes it was almost comical with all the yelling and over the top crying. I just didn't feel it. Maybe because i dont see what's so amazing about Menma. She's cute and sweet, but they treat her like she's the freaking second coming!

Though I did get teary eyed when Poppo started crying (we've never seen him so sad) and when the kids were picking up pieces of the diary was touching. This of course is followed up by all of them seeing Menma now for some unexplained reason followed by more OTP yelling and bawling. Subtlety is a valuable tool: USE IT
Ehh, I guess it's all up to how much melodrama you can take seriously.

I also feel like the characterizations and motivations were kind of muddled. Most of these characters really arent that likable. Here are my reasons:
Jintan: Crazy, a bit selfis, a splash of emo angst and LOVES Menma for some reason = Not that likable
Anoru: Nice pretty geeky girl, bit of a pushover and loves Jintan for some reason = Likable
Yukuatsu: Crazy, pitiful, smug jealous jerk, hates Jintan and LOVES Menma for some reason = Not likable
Tsuroko: Strange, mean, smug and loves Yukiatsu for some reason = Not likable
Menma: Dead teenage girl who acts like a 5 year old and loves everyone i guess = Kind of likable (though a bit annoying at times)
Poppo: Big nice guy who just wants to have fun and get Menma into heaven = Likable
(SO MANY LOVE TRIANGLES!!!)

With that said, i did like this series a lot. It had some nice scenes of nostalgia with old friends who drifted apart coming together again to solve this one mystery. Very nice! Though after finding out what the wish REALLY was, i'd rather pretend the rocket being the TRUE wish...

8/10
who_dat_ninjaJun 18, 2013 4:11 AM
Jun 21, 2013 3:50 PM

Jan 2010
holy crap 1500 people voted
god i cried so hard
10/10
Jun 22, 2013 3:23 AM
Apr 2013
It was an amazing anime. Definitely the best rom/com/drama/tearjerking/whatever-the-hell-genre-this-is I've seen. Maybe paralleled by Clannad AS.

I love every character for his or her own, the group together gave a sort of heartwarming vibe.. I can't put a finger on why I loved it so much though, I guess I just clicked with it.
Jun 25, 2013 3:57 PM

Sep 2012
So sad. ;;
Jun 25, 2013 4:34 PM

Jan 2013
This episode was so freaking sad, I didn't expect this anime to make me feel so emotional, gawd it feels like I watched Clannad After Story again..
Jun 29, 2013 4:55 PM

Aug 2012
Amazing story, a beautiful work of art. I was so late. An exact 2 years since the final episode was released was when I finished. Still amazing in a lot of aspects. It plucked at my heart strings and nearly made me cry. Definitely a 9.5/10. It's been a very long time since a show has swept me like this. The last one I watched was Clannad and both are wonderful master pieces.
Jun 29, 2013 5:10 PM

Aug 2012
guyuz said:
It was an amazing anime. Definitely the best rom/com/drama/tearjerking/whatever-the-hell-genre-this-is I've seen. Maybe paralleled by Clannad AS.

I love every character for his or her own, the group together gave a sort of heartwarming vibe.. I can't put a finger on why I loved it so much though, I guess I just clicked with it.

You're missing "seinen"
Jul 1, 2013 3:49 PM

May 2011
I admit it, I cried. D:

Even though the ending was predictable ever since the first episode, I was completely satisfied. It had more impact exactly because we knew it was coming, and it was executed beautifully.

10/10 from me.
Jul 2, 2013 6:18 PM
Jul 2012
An amazing anime. Like anyone else who enjoyed the anime I would like to see a sequel on how the Super Peace Busters move on. Love the opening and ending songs.

It's funny how if this happened in real life, this whole anime would have a completely different scenario.

I give it 10/10.
Jul 5, 2013 2:55 PM

Jun 2012
So what is the pink card Jinta gives to anuro at end? A confession?
Jul 6, 2013 1:43 AM

Jul 2011
This anime made me cry so much at the end. I feel incomplete now that its done though.. I know it would be stupid and it would never happen, but another part to this were it is in the future are they are living on with there lives would make me feel less sad. > . > stupid anime making me cry all in all I would give it a 9/10 bigger than most people, but its rare that an anime will make me sad. All the deaths in most anime are stupid to me and actually mean nothing such as the deaths in naruto. But this anime. DAMN.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2013 4:39 AM

Apr 2010
Cylenthia said:
Disappointing anime..^^

Are you fucking kidding me
Jul 12, 2013 4:23 PM

Aug 2009
Considering i was just looking to pass some time, i ended up watching it all in one sitting. Not sure how i missed this show for so long but glad i finally caught up and what a ride it was thank you very much. gave it an 8 simply because 10's don't dont exist if i ever saw a 10 every other anime would simply dissappoint me. it had some issues which meant i couldn't give it a 9 but i would recommend it to anyone readily if asked.
Jul 16, 2013 3:51 PM

Nov 2012
The moment Poppo started crying made me shed tears. Then I wanted to cry once they have found Menma's goodbye letters.
Jul 20, 2013 1:51 PM

May 2011
Wow, that ending sucked. The first 10 episodes were fine though.
5 for me is average, so 8/10. I enjoyed it, but the ending was bad.
Jul 20, 2013 1:55 PM

Nov 2012
Tamura said:
Cylenthia said:
Disappointing anime..^^

Are you fucking kidding me

cmon.... -_-

LEGOF said:
Wow, that ending sucked. The first 10 episodes were fine though.
5 for me is average, so 8/10. I enjoyed it, but the ending was bad.

lol XD yeah .. I feel that way..
but is it that bad? why? whats wrong with the ending? :3
Jul 26, 2013 8:36 PM

Feb 2010
I was avoiding this episode because i knew i would cry. And i really hate crying but i love this show so much. And i was right. I cried pretty much the entire episode. I actually cried more than i thought i would. But it was absolutely beautiful.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Jul 29, 2013 2:35 AM

Dec 2009
Great and sad ending, just as I like. 9/10
Aug 7, 2013 1:25 AM

May 2013
great anime i cried 9/10 for me
Aug 12, 2013 11:16 PM

Feb 2009
I remember when this came out...and I have no idea why I delayed watching this anime up until this point.

Nevertheless, I just marathoned it in two days and can't listen to the opening theme without getting the feels from it.

I cried at the ending.

10/10, would cry again ;_;
Aug 14, 2013 1:50 AM

Jun 2013
I literally marathoned the whole series in one night. It really was an amazing anime, did get me to tear up a bit but I didn't sob like in other anime such as Clannad and Angel Beats.
I think the ending with them all crying was a bit too much? Like, they were all hysterically crying and it kind of made it like the anime was trying to hard to get you to cry. The ending felt more like closure than anything else.
I guess I was kind of expecting an anime like that too, I've always been told that it's sad but good and that might have taken away the experience..
Aug 14, 2013 10:49 PM

Jul 2013
Great anime.
It left me bawling, which is weird since I usually only tear up...
Aug 15, 2013 7:38 AM

Sep 2012
I'm disappointed at Menma's wish, just to make Jintan cry.

The ending was great and i almost cried but then great anime.

I want a second season if its possible
9/10
Aug 28, 2013 8:32 AM

Jul 2013
Loved most of it. Had some episodes that didn't interest me so much but I still cried at the end.

I was much more happy after the first few episodes because i saw that the anime didn't take the sixth sense route.

I wouldn't compare the tears from this and Clannad because these are tears of happieness and Clannad is just utter depression.
Aug 31, 2013 4:32 AM
Jun 2013
Mind me if i get the characters names wrong as i'm not good with names.

This was a decent animie. I liked the childhood relationship between the characters and how each one envyed eachother. It seems Menma and Popo were the only pure hearted ones; besides the fat cunts guilt.

For me, this was a great anime and the story was well put togther in terms of the characters trying to fufill Menma's wish for their own selfish gains and in the end letting go in one big emotional tear up.

I found Yukiatsu being envious of Jintan soo funny; Especially the part where Jintan is walking with Menma at the traintracks and he kicks the fence repeatedly. I did find this anime sad; but didn't cry or shed a tear (badass). I guess i'm not the emotional type.

The ending was good, but i kinda found it annoying how they were all shouting and shit and being fags saying "i found you" or "you found me".

Overall this was a great anime, sad and had the same impact as Clanned Afterstory in a shorter story, in other words it's good for it's time and for that i rate this an 8.5/10. Loved it.
yungstudAug 31, 2013 4:43 AM
Sep 20, 2013 2:17 PM

Jul 2012
Great series, I cried a lot.
10/10
Sep 23, 2013 4:14 PM

Aug 2011
Just finished this show. It's pretty good but not what I was expecting.

I'll be blunt: did I cry at the end? No. But I was teary-eyed and wanting myself to shed tears at what I was seeing. It was very dramatic, I almost lost it during the hide & seek game and the diary messages at the end. Personally, it just didn't have that final push to make me completely bawling my eyes out. It was like the characters cried my share of the tears as well, so I couldn't shed any.

Nevertheless, it was a satisfying ending. The show as a whole however, felt very slow in its build-up. I didn't really get a sense of the emotional impact until Yukiatsu's dress-up scene. My favourite ep would be ep.10 because of the cliffhanger. It was pushing the firework scene so hard that I was teary-eyed at this point too. Sadly, I didn't like any of the characters. Menma was moe but I don't see her in a favourable light. She was just the fun and joy to everyone's gloom and doom. Pacing was slow at the beginning. I think it wasn't until ep. 8 or 9 where I said 'finally!' at Menma showing herself. Why didn't you do that sooner.

But what I really liked was the animation and the music. OP eventually grew on me but the Secret Base song is one of the most beautiful covers I've ever heard. They could have done some more with the visuals on it instead of having two episode previews though. Visually, it's a wonderful show with many backgrounds and characters have great detail. I even appreciate Anaru having nail polish as I don't see that often in anime.

7/10. The storytelling didn't have the impact I expected but it was an enjoyable watch. It never felt boring and has plenty of drama to show.
Sep 26, 2013 12:37 PM

Oct 2009
MMMMmmmmmmmmm ・゜゜・(/。\)・゜゜・.!!!

AHhhh my eyes started leaking when Menma became visible to everyone...but i didn't really cry like i wanted too.. (´∩`。)

For a second there i thought she would disappear without saying goodbye...phew.

Aww i want a epilogue with Anaru and Jintan together >.<

Loved it all, though it did start to drag out a bit in the middle but haven't seen anything that made my heart move in a while..

8.6/10

Waiting for the movie!
AozureSep 26, 2013 12:42 PM
Sep 26, 2013 1:15 PM

Jul 2013
i think 'wish' isn't a good word for that want Menma had to grant to go to heaven. I think 'promise' suits a lot better :D
We're all mad here
Sep 26, 2013 6:00 PM

Jun 2007
Sukiyoxox said:
So what is the pink card Jinta gives to anuro at end? A confession?

I doubt you actually are going to see this since it has been so long but I'll answer anyway. That is her handkerchief that she left in the office of their job when she breaks down in episode 8 (after confessing to him her guilt).

As for how she died (I don't know if someone else mentioned this in the thread, too long to try to search), I think judging by the various clues in the show that she likely slipped down a hillside while chasing after Jinta and that was how she wound up drowning in the river. When they are first looking for her in the woods (when Yukiatsu was running around dressed as her), Anjou slips and starts to fall down a slope before Jinta catches her and instantly flashes back to Menma's shoe sitting in the water.
TheTsunamiSep 27, 2013 3:11 AM
Sep 27, 2013 7:14 AM

Mar 2008
I have to say, I was speechless at the end of this anime. I knew after episode 10, what is probably going to happen. I just didn't expect the whole premise was not a wish but a promise Menma made to Jinta mother, just make Jinta cry in order for her being to go to heaven. Making an ending for any story is hard but this anime did it pretty well and answer most question thus pretty much having good closure. Since I didn't need to look up more about the story or felt that it was missing anything, though it would be awesome they make an OVA about their future and see how they end up, to also see if any of their children will resemble like Menma(Oh how wonderful that would be).

Now anime as whole, I have to say the anime is truly dramatic with some short laughter here and there. I've given it a 9/10, the character development was through with main and support characters thus making easy to like/hate any of the characters in the series. The Anime OP and ending fits the animes atmosphere, along had great direction with their sound direction thus giving the right mood per scene of the anime. The only reason it did not get the full 10/10, is because of a lack of information on exactly how Menma was passed away. All that's known that Menma drowned and that small glimpse of the past like the shoe on the water or Jinta's past memory though it doesn't really truly explains how.
Oct 1, 2013 3:00 AM

Jun 2012
I expected this ending from the beginning.very sad ending and story..Menma is the cutest
Oct 5, 2013 2:45 PM

May 2013
I was afraid the ending might be good but iwas prefect. cried like a baby

10/10
Oct 11, 2013 2:51 PM

Feb 2012
haven't seen this anime in 2 years, decided to watch the final episode this morning out of boredom, thinking "oh yeah, i know what's gonna happen, i'll just be pokerfacing, enjoying the episode"

then i started balling my eyes out all over again ;w;
Oct 11, 2013 6:29 PM
Jun 2013
Man, there were a few times when I would come close to crying watching other shows. But this show. The ending did me in :') 9/10
Oct 15, 2013 6:26 AM

Jul 2013
I don't understand why it took me so long to finish this anime, it was very touching. Predictable, yet emotional. Will probably re-watch it sooner or later.
Oct 18, 2013 8:27 PM

Dec 2010
Can't say I was overly impressed by this anime. I enjoyed it, but found it a little too contrived/melodramatic to be truly touching. The ending was okay, but the hide-and-seek game came out of nowhere.
Oct 25, 2013 3:00 AM

Jun 2007
Pknoctis said:
Can't say I was overly impressed by this anime. I enjoyed it, but found it a little too contrived/melodramatic to be truly touching. The ending was okay, but the hide-and-seek game came out of nowhere.

Try to rationalize it from Menma's point of view. She realizes she is about to disappear completely (and is already to the point that Jintan can't see her anymore), so she wants to write her final farewell to each of her friends. In order to do this, she needs to get them out of the base, so she comes up with an idea that someone with the mind of a child like her would: tell Jintan she is going to play hide and seek. Jintan in his emotional state naturally takes the bait and everyone follows, leaving Menma alone to write her last goodbyes to the group.
Dec 1, 2013 7:14 PM

Aug 2013
Finished it in 2 days. Time well fucking spent.
I did have a few problems with it (i.e. some forced melodrama, some predictability, and a few more), but it had much more redeeming value. Loved the ending, loved its portrayal of friendship, and love that fucking OP.
In terms of emotional impact, the closest I've watched to Clannad. And that's a pretty high bar. In fact, it does a lot of things I prefer to Clannad.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Dec 5, 2013 9:59 PM

Jul 2013
That was amazing. 10/10 final score.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2013 11:30 PM

Apr 2013
Those tears. No matter how many times I see the last scene with Menma I still cry like a little baby. To me Ano Hana is a masterpiece.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Dec 15, 2013 7:16 AM

May 2013
Defiinitely as touching as clannad AS . Menma is super cute /
Dec 15, 2013 7:57 PM
Feb 2013
That was perfect, never have I actually seen a more satisfying ending before. Yea, it had a flaw or two, but it was still really good.
Dec 16, 2013 1:27 PM

Aug 2013
this anime is amazing, I took too long to see him
moved me all the time, I cried too and this last episode
certainly one of the best endings I've ever seen
passes a wonderful message to those who watch
looking forward to see the movie ..
deserves 10/10 for me!
Dec 17, 2013 2:48 PM

Oct 2008
Very enjoyable anime, a little melodramatic and weird at times but for the most part understandably so. I think this anime had more tears dropping onto someones face or a surface something more than any anime I've seen, at least more consistently for sure. The ending was cheesy but not bad, I can't really ask for much more, it was kinda inevitable. I really didn't like most the cast though, I felt like I only really liked Jinta and Menma. I felt Atsumo and Chiriko were annoying and just plain unlikable most of the time and by the end I didn't really grow to buy their change or feel like they were any better of people. Naruko and Tetsudou were decent at least. Tetsuduou was underdeveloped imo and Naruko was overly emotional all the time and her motive was a bit odd, really you'd think after 10 years you'd get over your little childish crush, especially when it's over a boy you hardly spend any time with anymore. Really just underdeveloped to me, 10 years is a long time to hold on to some of these petty grudges. I understand it' s a traumatic period but it's like everyone hasn't aged a day and everything is still fresh in there mind and they're all still children. Overall though I still enjoyed it, watched it in a day, I think it being so emotional so much made the climax in the time period I watched it in less emotional. Where in Tokyo Magnitude I was so caught off guard by the emotional climax that it really got to me. Still a good anime definitely worth watching. 8/10

EDIT: They could of sped this whole thing up if Menma just proved she was real from the start, she could clearly move physical things so all she had to do was carry something around, form objects into words or touch somebody. Instead it takes the whole series for this to happen. Sure it would of taken away from certain scenes but still, it just makes logical sense if you're going to let this ghost be able to actually operate in the physical world to then prove to yourself and your friends that she's real by seeing her move things herself.
PANDEMlCDec 17, 2013 3:12 PM
Dec 19, 2013 10:19 PM

Jan 2013
I loved this episode so much that it brought me to tears. I wanted to promote AnoHana so I put a short post here for people to watch the anime!
http://www.bubblews.com/news/1859263-one-of-the-most-touching-anime-i-have-ever-watched
Dec 21, 2013 5:39 AM

Jun 2013
.....;A;

My only (small) gripe was that we didn't get enough development for minor characters. Oh well.
Dec 22, 2013 7:31 PM

Aug 2013
God damn it... TT _ TT
watched it all in one go.. y u do this to me?

Dec 26, 2013 7:16 PM

Jul 2013
Well, I watched, I laughed, I loved, and I cried at the end. The ending just resolved everything for Menma's final wish, as well as everyone get to see her in the end.

Anohana give me a 10/10. I'm just surprised that this only has 11 episodes and the story was very intriguing, with the music background just gave me those feels.

Edit: Watch the ending of it again, damn, so much emotions coming towards me I can't hold it...
omega_d94Feb 20, 2014 9:07 AM

Pages (25) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » AnoHana - favourite characters

tsubagakure - Sep 18

6 by someguy »»
Sep 20, 3:32 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 14, 2011

437 by OrenPlayz »»
Sep 12, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

390 by IzanaSolos »»
Aug 18, 11:56 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

330 by IzanaSolos »»
Aug 18, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

425 by IzanaSolos »»
Aug 17, 9:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.