Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Aug 26, 2018 5:06 PM

May 2018
OMG I LOVE THIS EPISODE, IT WAS SOOO HILLARIOUS THAT ''BATTLE" AGAINST THE GIRL KKKKKK.

New OP is so cute! And i am loving this dialogues... Awesome anime.

And this refferences about various animes...
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Nov 4, 2018 12:38 PM

Jan 2018
wow that was super fucking boring, all three episodes with their stupid monologue s. things seemed to be going somewhere at the end of the second one, but now back to this. and it's not like i don't like the slow pace or the weird style, i watched inland empire in one sitting! definetely dropping this one.
Nov 14, 2018 11:56 PM

Aug 2017
They talk too much lmao.

Senjougahara is funny. What's going on with Mayoi in the last scene?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 19, 2018 8:51 PM

Feb 2017
Man, I really don't like tsundere types like Hitagi. These verbal abuse dialogue exchanges with Koyomi are almost unbearable. At least the scene with Mayoi was funny.
Dec 27, 2018 3:02 PM

Mar 2018
Lol, felt pretty random. The intro had me laughing.
Feb 19, 2019 8:41 PM

Aug 2016
This is the most autistic thing I ever seen in anime
:v
Apr 21, 2019 11:06 PM
Jul 2016
Heee I'm just starting this series, wasn't this supposed to be about vampires?? it's just plain weird.
May 10, 2019 10:23 PM

Dec 2018
Senjougahara still being a *****, I thought she went 180 from the previous episode. To me all she want is confess her love to him. But she take a long way around, and in an irritating way.

So it seems Araragi has enhanced viewing ability.

And I'm wondering why this anime is not labeled as Comedy or Slice of Life.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
May 20, 2019 11:27 PM

Sep 2017
Enjoyable episode. Araragi and Senjoughara have really interesting chemistry. It was nice seeing them go back and forth. Araragi throwing the girl was also brilliant, as was Senjoughara's reaction. I still have no idea what the fuck this show is about, but at least I think I am enjoying it?
May 31, 2019 12:07 PM

Feb 2016
Top 10 anime fights: Araragi vs Loli
Jun 20, 2019 4:16 AM

May 2015
MichaelJackson said:

You not understanding the show ≠ it being autistic.

Jun 20, 2019 10:15 AM

Aug 2016
TsukuyomiREKT said:
MichaelJackson said:

You not understanding the show ≠ it being autistic.

Implying theres too much to understand about this anime
:v
Jul 5, 2019 5:46 PM

Nov 2017
The only fictional characters whose voices I'd be okay with hearing for the rest of my natural life would be Diana Burnwood and Senjougahara. Like, every line from Senjou is pure gold! She also dresses quite nicely in this episode.

Speaking of this episode, it is even better during a re-watch. Now is the introduction of Hachikuji!

Jul 8, 2019 10:24 PM
Nov 2015
* This is was probably the funniest episode till now, loved it
* Araragi and senjogohara banter was hilarious and just so much fun to watch and listen especially with the little animation changes and extremely flirtatious nature of the dialogue, clearly senjogohara has taken a strong interest in him and is willing to pursue a relationship.
* With the dialogue we got insight into araragi character a bit , regarding the petiness that is constantly brought up and his relationship witg his mother and sister, nice to get insight into araragi character.
* Also, fun to point he mentioned in the beginning how important mother's day is, and he spends having a conversation that is very flirtatious and sexual with a girl that he clearly has physical attraction towards, and who can blame him.
* We also went from araragi perspective to senjogohara perspective during the culmination of the exchange where senjogohara once you read between the lines indirectly confessed to him, so the attraction was mutual if that was made clear before. Though she got rejected.
* Then we get the introduction to Mayoi , the new case a person who is "lost"
* Clearly a completely different character to senjogohara, fun exchange as well between him and her, which lead to her being beat up, had me laughing out loud.
* Was not expecting a fight this episode , its funny this is technically the first legitimate fight in the series. Hope you're proud you beat up a little girl araragi.
* Now, it seems araragi and Hitagi are gonna help "Mayoi" find her way.
* People weren't kidding that this episode is dialogue heavy, the entire episode was spent in one location just talking.
* Guessing Mayoi ailment has to do with cloning based on the op, or other people becoming her.
Dec 17, 2019 3:05 PM

May 2014
This was a good ep. Senjougahara is such a tsundere. I see she is affected by him and wants to be his girlfriend. Somehow she can't say it directly. That's why one luvs tsundere girls. She goes around the bush, but in the end she reveal her intention. She is a cute girl, funny too. Funny how she mock Araragi through half of the ep.

We get to see a loli girl, Mayoi, which has lost her way. Never seen a season that change an op. after the 3rd ep. That's just amazing. I am glad the op. relates with the characters in the season. It's makes it very unique. Anyways, funny how she and Araragi gets into a fight and he K.O her out. Poor girl. Very funny how he is proud of it and Senjougahara doesn't want to get in touch with him. I can truly understand her and why she is so embarrassed being near him. Hahhah

Next time we will see more about Mayoi's case and the snail that is around her.

The comedy was on top in this ep.
Dec 17, 2019 3:14 PM

May 2014
BellCranl said:
Was there any mean to the dialogue they had for the entire episode in the park, did I miss something? I'm not sure if I'm stupid or if this episode was...

Ofc. it had an impact. It shows what kind of impact Araragi's action had on Senjougahara. She used to be a lonely person who were always alone, but now that Araragi has helped her with her long-life wish she is attracted to him and actually want to be his girlfriend. Did you watch this and the previous ep.?

To all people who wants to see action and fights, this is not that kind of anime. This more like a seinen anime rather than shounen. Something I am very glad for. It's more like a talking and conversation anime rather than action with killing and fighting. If anyone expect there will be a lot of action, you are totally wrong. And if that's what satisfy you guys, this is definitely not the anime for you guys.
Dec 17, 2019 3:21 PM

May 2014
DarK_BalteR said:
Meh, okay episode I suppose. Koyomi is starting to show his true colors with constant chest and lips shots. Nice to see Hitagi in casual wear she looked more attractive than usual. I kind of got bored with the endless talk hoping something interesting will happen. I bet they had fun riding all those rides. Where were they anyway? it was like they were in some random endless white space with a map that says:

• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY

What's up with that?

Not sure if it's the answer, but I interpret it as if Araragi is guilty for knocking out Mayoi, the loli girl. Since there are a ratio of 9:5 guilty it can be seen as that the action of Araragi was wrong and hence he is guilty. The "not guilty" points can be interpret as that somehow his action can be justified since Mayoi was very rude and went on his nerves, so it's a bit understandable why he K.Oed her. But as said above there are more points that says he is guilty which can mean his action was wrong. Analogy to this is a court where the jury decide if the criminal person is guilty or not. :) This only my interpretation, it can be wrong.
Feb 5, 2020 11:27 PM

Nov 2012
15 minute mark is when interesting things start to happen. Sort of.

Everything before that is random talking and harem anime's usual "Hot girl is really interested in guy who isn't interesting in any way" nonsense while SHAFT tries to make it seem more interesting and unique than that with their usual choppy avant garde style.

And then the protagonist randomly walks up to and beats up an elementary schooler because... IDK he can sense she's supposed to be a main character somehow????
May 3, 2020 12:19 PM
Nov 2011
Easily my favorite episode of the season. The dialogue with Hitagi was legendary but it was Mayoi who totally stole the show. "Koyomi? That sounds like a girl's name!"

May 14, 2020 4:28 PM

Aug 2011
This is one strange anime, but I have to admit I really like it(I guess I'm kinda weird too).

I love great dialogue and this anime has it; the back and forth between the characters it topnotch. Araragi and Mayoi owned this episode.
May 16, 2020 4:11 PM
Jul 2013
Senjougahara is the ultimate tease.
Dat K.O. tho. I have a feeling Araragi is not getting away with that.
Animation seems to be taking shortcuts, but is sleek overall.
Jun 12, 2020 2:17 PM

Dec 2018
i don’t quite understand why people call this show genius yet. i’m kind of bored, in all honesty. i don’t know how to explain it.
the dialogue isn’t really that interesting, and i’m someone that can enjoy a lot of slice of life. perhaps i’m not far enough in.
i will say that hitagi is an interesting girl though, it’s just that she doesn’t play that well off of koyomi.
wasn’t too impressed with the new elementary school girl either (forgot her name)
Jun 12, 2020 2:34 PM
Sep 2019
So far I find this between boring and annoying, they talk so much but they just run in circles. I kind of like the art, but all those captions inserted for (it seems) no reason is physically annoying.
Jul 27, 2020 5:24 AM

Jun 2020
they were rambling nonstop but i found the dialogue really interesting!!!! MCs are really quirky & likeable ♡ i like them so much already

also what is up with snail girl’s bag!!!!! her bag was MASSIVE

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 5, 2020 6:35 PM

Apr 2019
The dialouge between Koyomi and Hitagi is pretty entertaining. Really diggin' the series so far. The way the anime cuts between shots of the playground and pages work so nicely, and the ost that they use suits it all very well.

Moyoi seems to be quite the mysterious character, who has a pretty catchy OP at that.
arcticmontysAug 5, 2020 6:40 PM
Aug 7, 2020 10:20 PM

Apr 2020
This show seems to be full of more dialogue and things to think about then other shows on my list, but I am really enjoying it now. I really like the sound direction and music direction; this is one of those series I started because of the songs, and it is not disappointing. The new girl they introduced is very interesting can't wait to see how her story turns out. On a different note, I really like the animation in this series, it is very well done and so far the way they have spliced in pages, real-world pictures, and even food has been very intriguing, I also really like how they use colors and the shading and lighting.
"Anime is trash... and so am I"

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 14, 2020 5:35 PM
Jan 2015
gente que animação é essa SAJDSDKFJDS amei esse parque btw achei lindinho. esse anime é diferente de tudo q eu já vi to gostando mt
Sep 7, 2020 4:56 PM

Jun 2020
I loved the evil laugh lol
Oct 17, 2020 10:29 PM

Dec 2016
this ep was pretty fun to watch. senjougahara in casual clothes almost gave me a heart attack. it's getting interesting. at least i'm having fun, that's what matters.
Jan 27, 2021 5:17 AM

Oct 2016
A whole episode of pure dialogue and I really enjoyed it, Araragi really bragged about beating an elementary school kid lmao.
Apr 22, 2021 1:58 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Unconventional! That’s the word I was looking for, and it works to great extent. Now I’m starting to see why bunny girl senpai is sometimes called the successor to this. But if that’s the case, then bunny girl senpai failed big time because this, well, is just so much better. This is art fam

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 23, 2021 11:07 AM

Jun 2020
This episode got in a slow start after that exorcism like from Hitagi's problem and coincidentally she met Koyomi in the park, New OP as well for the new character

They're really going at it with these deep conversations and playful banter glad that their relationship is somewhat still going strong

Hachikuji is a strong girl for a kid, Damn their reactions and their faces are so good that every time I see one it gets me and I think my favorite one is when Hachikuji kicked Araragi in the gut.
Aug 19, 2021 6:39 PM
May 2020
Araragi skipping mothers day adds that hint of normality with the previous episodes ahlie
Sep 18, 2021 11:16 AM
Oct 2020
OK this EP is kind of boring

they switched the op out of nowhere, and it was also cool to see the two protagonists playing on the park toys

I didn't understand what this child is, he just hates the araragi to the point of wanting to hit him just because he exists

it was fun to see the faces and mouths the characters made

their conversation was too monotomous, and I didn't understand anything either, having to go back about 5 times in the same scene, and this contributes to the disinteresting factor

I wait for the next one and p to be better
Dec 27, 2021 2:35 AM
Jul 2018
Woah, Hitagi Senjogahara is kind of a babe...

Honestly lol, I try to avoid the waifu culture and corny romance and such. And I didn't think much of the character before. But something kinda clicked for me in this episode. 😂

In Episode 1, that long conversation Koyomi and Hitagi had kinda caught me off guard, and then in Episode 2 they had an even longer conversation where Koyami's just getting roasted. And this episode, just wow, it seemed devoid of any major plot. Just some super long string of conversation, even kind of carrying on to the "little girl" segment. I'm very charmed, and have to say, this anime is truly something else.

I'm completely unfamiliar with this franchise and simply jumped into the anime because of its popularity on MAL. Just trying to "culture" myself.

From reading synopses and plot descriptions, to watching the first episode, I was relatively unimpressed, and figured the show's rating would be unjustified if things continued as they were going. But I'm impressed by the balls this anime has. Entertaining and humorous dialogue, hilariously and appealing facial expressions, some wit, and a ballsy outlandishness, like blatant ecchiness and max'ing out the cliche trope of a loner obtaining an automatic girlfriend. These overused tropes are somehow being done justice. Reminds me of the satisfaction I got watching Prison School.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm jumping the gun with my assessment of the show after episode 3. But if the remaining episodes are anything like this one and the prior episode, then I can totally understand the show's rating.

Man, just when you think you've seen everything anime has to offer. There's always another "breath of fresh air" show.
Jan 3, 2022 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
Araragi laughed his ass off after beating up an elementary student, and there I was laughing with him.
This episode was pretty chill for a change, but still rather funny. ^_^
Jan 6, 2022 1:51 PM

Feb 2020
i enjoyed this episode \(≧▽≦)/
i enjoyed the new op as well, it was very cute! (๑˃ᴗ˂)
the animation and style of this anime really is fantastic to me. senjougahara is very cool!

it's very dialogue heavy but i think it's part of the charm of this anime (@^◡^)
i wonder where this is going to go! i know something about mayoi because i heard it before, but i can't say what it is Σ(°△°|||)︴

onto the next episode! °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Apr 16, 2022 8:22 AM

Jan 2015
Has been way too long since I've watched this series (watched maybe like, six years back? I was up to Monogatari Series: Second Season but ended up putting it on hold for whatever reason), back now, I forgot how charming this series is. First two episodes were really great, and this third episode didn't let down in quality. Conversations in this series are able to both keep my interest as well as put a really damn huge smile on my face. Also, the whole fucking fight Araragi has with Hachikuji, and Senjougahara's disgust which follows, fucking hell, hilarious, was laughing heaps loud. Bakemonogatari's amazing. Scored it an eight back when I saw it but if it keeps this quality up as well as improving further with the character development, I'll be thinking of a nine, for sure.
Apr 27, 2022 1:06 AM

Nov 2009
Story is fine so far but the characters are unrelateable. Why is Araragi so willing to help and want to be friends with Hitagi when she stapled his mouth for no reason, nor has she said sorry for that. All the characters come accross as emotionless so far. Don't get me wrong, I like crazy characters but atleast give them some humanity. This ep we see him hit a gradeschooler because he wants to help her? Can we get some unselfish characters please lol
Jun 10, 2022 4:44 PM
Dec 2020
a lot of the fanservice wasn't interesting, and araragi beating up a grade schooler wasnt that funny. the later part of the episode was pretty cool, and the conversation sounded quite fun.
Jun 13, 2022 10:46 PM
Oct 2020
Wow, that OP just came out of nowhere, but I enjoyed it. Thought I had accidentally clicked on a magic girl anime, especially compared to the darkness of the last episode. But based on the unpredictable nature of this series so far it's not out of line. Araragi is completely hopeless at basically any kind of relationship. After refusing the very generous offers of Senjougahara, he also admits to the arguments with his sisters which brought him to the park in the first place. So when Araragi meets the lost girl Mayori, he seems determined to make some kind of connection with her. A simple act at which he also fails miserably. Which finally ends with him getting essentially beating up the little girl as he rides the express train to Doofusville.

The last part where Mayori admits to be lost- a lost snail, in fact- is a major turning point in the story. Now I'm starting to sense a pattern. I think we'll see some supernatural elements connected with new creatures as they are introduced. I guess that's the 'monster' part in the title. It's quite clever in my opinion. What a twist from the wacky OP to this inflection point.

Some might be put off by the somewhat banal dialogue between Senjougahara and Araragi. But I feel like it's building the characters. In contrast to his cluelessness, she is so cool and smooth. A little cruel and manipulative, maybe as well. A sort of aloof, measured kindness. Which is very enticing, I might add.

Aug 16, 2022 3:55 PM

May 2021
SHAFT must have done a really good job if they made me not bored of more than half an episode of Hitagi roasting Araragi. Also love how she was subtly(somewhat) trying to get him to be her boyfriend.

Now, Araragi spanking a little girl, getting bullied by said girl and then brawling with her without holding back MAY seem pathetic but on the bright side, at least he gave an opponent the respect they deserve in a duel.

Aug 18, 2022 12:32 PM
Sep 2021
Animation is not good... BUT somehow I LOVE IT
Sep 2, 2022 11:51 PM

Feb 2021
The dialogue was pretty wild in this episode I still have no idea what is going on in this show
Oct 7, 2022 5:18 PM

Dec 2015
Still amazes me to this day that Araragi seriously fought Hachikuji. Senjougahara is staring daggers at him and she keeps dropping hints to Araragi but the conversation gets derailed or the subject changes.

The moment she started saying she's a lost snail 🐌 and then trying to drop what she said was a bit eerie.

私服→至福 Really love that wordplay.

The guitar playing Hachikuji's OP was a nice touch.
Nov 11, 2022 1:45 PM
Sep 2020
Feb 3, 2023 9:57 AM
Apr 2011
This episode was a drug trip. I'm not even sure where most of the writing was going, but I'm sure the confusion just means next episode will totally make me more confused resolve all my questions .
May 4, 2023 2:38 AM
Feb 2023
Jul 6, 2023 11:18 PM
Jul 2018
Damn, Araragi if I were you I would have made Senjougahara my girlfriend. Also, he fought an elementary school kid with all his might! wtf
Aug 13, 2023 8:01 AM
Oct 2021
muita conversa atoa, mas nada que incomode muito. novamente sexualizaram criança, e isso me incomodou. historia fraca dessa vez
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

510 by deem0n »»
Apr 23, 1:30 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Apr 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.