Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2009 7:42 PM

Feb 2009
O_O

*mindfucked*

Need next episode, and need it now!
Jul 9, 2009 9:27 PM

Jun 2007
haha, great. got me confused right from the start. this looks pretty umm... different from what i've watched so far.... yet i am liking it.

lol @ hitagi thinking of herself as tsundere
Jul 9, 2009 9:38 PM

Dec 2008
Sweet episode can't wait for the next.
Jul 9, 2009 9:51 PM

Nov 2007
Now that was surprisingly interesting, I love the animation it's so refreshingly different, story is also pretty engaging in an odd sense which is what Shaft does best whenever I watch one of their works xD, looking forward to what future episodes hold.
Jul 10, 2009 4:50 AM

Apr 2009
Best 20 second opening ever.
Jul 10, 2009 8:36 AM

Aug 2008
Well I'm not sure about this one. I feel like the good people at Shaft tried a bit too hard to mindfuck me. I should probably sit back and chill as if I tried any harder to make sense of all this my head would explode.
Jul 10, 2009 8:58 AM

Dec 2007
angles, angles, angles...
and uninhabited world.

f**king awesome.
Jul 10, 2009 11:48 AM

Aug 2008
it felt like they were trying too hard on the mindfuck,the animation was very well done,will wait for second episode to decide if i stick with it
Jul 10, 2009 12:03 PM

Apr 2007
Out of everything I started this week, this is the most interesting one to me. Highly looking forward to.
Jul 10, 2009 1:46 PM
Dec 2007
Akiyuki Shinbou direction and art for sure, you can't go wrong with him ! The story seems quite messed up but still very interesting and sufficiently mysterious to catch my attention, so I'll definitely watch more. OP and ED were nice too.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 10, 2009 2:47 PM

May 2008
Best anime of the year? Yes please.
Jul 10, 2009 2:49 PM

Jan 2009
Kitcha said:
Best anime of the year? Yes please.
it's not that great, not yet at least xD though it's got good chances of becomming the best of the year : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 10, 2009 2:50 PM
Apr 2009
Spade said:
For me, he is and will always be Zetsubou-Sensei, I can't take his voice seriously anymore,

Not at all. I recognised Kamiya and knew he did Itoshiki, but didn't *have to* think of that. Horie was much worse in that regard.
Jul 10, 2009 3:56 PM

Apr 2009
I like it xD
it was interesting but its hard to understand the history and everything here.
gonna have to wait more episodes to see if all this mess gonna make some sense :D
Jul 10, 2009 5:45 PM

Apr 2009
I like the plot of the show so far. The only thing I don't like is...Shaft. I easily get sick of their weird way of animating things. I 've only read the first volume of Zaregoto by Nishioishin/Nisioisin but I got to like his writing so I'll stick with this for now.

I winced at the staple part...

Jul 10, 2009 6:20 PM

Jan 2008
Highly.. interesting. "Loved it", totally. O_O I really liked it graphically, too.. Refreshing, strong colours. Lots of orange and red, but I guess it was because of the evening. And it looks like it's going to be something totally different.. from what I've seen, at least. Glad I picked it. That girl having all those writing materials all over her body.. Haha I wonder how, but I kind of liked it. Can't explain. XD And as if not weird enough already, the boy used to be a.. uh, vampire? .. I think I've got to rewatch. ->
Jul 10, 2009 9:51 PM

Sep 2008
Looks promising, glad I got to pick this up.
Jul 10, 2009 10:10 PM
May 2008
Awesome first episode with an interesting plot and characters. The animation is very nice too... I like how it is very surreal. Seems to be a very promising series that I'll be sticking to.

The only bad thing has nothing to do with the show but the subs available at the moment are not that great. Especially with all of the text constantly appearing and I can't read it fast enough to comprehend it fully... so I imagine I'm missing out on some of the story.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 11, 2009 1:23 AM

Aug 2008
Mix of SZS style, SoulTakers graphic experiments, and 100 Stories/Mononoke feeling. Very promising. I'm in love :3
Jul 11, 2009 8:10 AM

Jul 2009
Wow, color me impressed. Despite SZS not being my thing, I have to say, I really liked Shinbo's directing here. It wasn't as off the wall as SZS, but the good parts of that style of direction were still there. Cool usage of red as the outline color. It's uncommon enough to give the whole art style a unique look. Story seems intriguing so far and I really like the characters. Can't wait to see a full scene of Shinbo-directed action, that will be an interesting sight.
Jul 11, 2009 9:52 AM

Apr 2009
- Wow, nice animation - reminds me of ef a tale of memories.

- Very abstract.

- Unique story too, but I have no idea how this is going to turn out.

- Ah well, I'll just keep watching :]
Jul 11, 2009 10:52 AM

May 2008
Oosran said:
]it's not that great, not yet at least xD though it's got good chances of becomming the best of the year : D

Never said it was, and the first episode was really great for being a mere introductory one.
Jul 11, 2009 11:15 AM

Sep 2007
Wile said:
Spade said:
For me, he is and will always be Zetsubou-Sensei, I can't take his voice seriously anymore,

Not at all. I recognised Kamiya and knew he did Itoshiki, but didn't *have to* think of that. Horie was much worse in that regard.

Well, I didn't say he's the only one I have fixed on one character. ;)
I also have Horie Yui fixed in my mind. In the scene with Araragi and the girl with glasses, I only saw Itoshiki-sensei talking to Hanyuu in my mind. Weird combo. XD
Jul 11, 2009 12:07 PM

Jun 2008
That was really great. I'm really looking forward for it.
Jul 11, 2009 12:38 PM

Jun 2007
this seems to make a whole lot more sense after reading all those things that flashed for like a second in middle of scenes in the so called "OP"
really, please shaft, if you want people to read it and understand, leave some more time with the text onscreen..... and if they don't want anyone to read it, well, don't put it >.<
Jul 11, 2009 1:03 PM

May 2008
I'm hooked.
Jul 11, 2009 3:35 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Sehr geil.

That was a very absorbing episode. Sort of a mix of Zetsubou sensei, Haruhi and Shikabane Hime. But it was definitely awesome, Hitagi has fave potential, as well. Looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 11, 2009 3:38 PM

Feb 2008
Finally some quality subs.
The whole episode I was like "D:" Stunned by the animation and what's going on.
I think this becomes really awesome.

Richard_Omega said:
this seems to make a whole lot more sense after reading all those things that flashed for like a second in middle of scenes in the so called "OP"
really, please shaft, if you want people to read it and understand, leave some more time with the text onscreen..... and if they don't want anyone to read it, well, don't put it >.<

You haven't watched "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei", huh? You'd go crazy if you can't stand even this.
Jul 11, 2009 7:18 PM

Jun 2009
The animation and production quality was amazing. The abstract way the story developed was very similar to ef ~ a tale of memories. But I'm still not sure about this anime. It might be a little too abstract for my tastes.
Jul 11, 2009 10:26 PM
May 2008
Just re-watched the first episode with qq subs and it looks like I didn't miss out on much from the text at least. However the translated subs were better imo.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 11, 2009 11:22 PM

Jan 2009
This ep is a win for the FMA reference alone!
Interesting series, story seems kinda cool and the mix of 3d and 2d animation is certainly stunning.
Looking forward to the next ep!

Jul 12, 2009 2:12 AM
Dec 2008
Really promising! I enjoyed the first episode a lot ^^
Even though we burn all memories, the ashes will always remain.
Jul 12, 2009 5:13 AM

May 2008
From the description, I had no idea what to expect from this anime. I was merely checking it out, but after that first episode.. it definitely caught my interest. I'm really loving Hitagi though. I didn't expect her to have such a violent nature xD

You sure can easily tell that it's a SHAFT production though.
That animation style is unmistakable. You've just got to love it.
Jul 12, 2009 5:26 AM

Feb 2008
Mad style and cool animation...SZS nervously smoking in aside XD
Ааа needed next episode X3
Jul 12, 2009 8:36 AM

Dec 2007
This was cool. I really liked the animation, because it was smooth~
Richard_Omega said:

Also, this.
Jul 12, 2009 10:31 AM

Feb 2008
That was pretty amazing. Loving the animation and it has a promising story.
I expected nothing less from SHAFT.
Jul 12, 2009 1:00 PM

Mar 2009
This anime is either a like or dislike... its definitely for those that like this genre only. Can't get over the way they show the anime.
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Jul 12, 2009 8:10 PM

Feb 2008
Very interesting first episode but it was to be expected from Shaft and Shinbo.

I particularly liked the equivalent exchange scene.

Copper; 40g
Zinc; 25g
Nickel; 15g
hiding embarrassment; 5g and
evil intention; 97kg.

By the way, "hiding embarrassment" is a lie.

Definitely looking forward to the next few episodes.
NayahJul 12, 2009 9:10 PM
Jul 12, 2009 9:28 PM

Jan 2009
The firsts 2 minutes I went faceless, What kind of expression should I make in front of such opening? [Let me call it opening] Random gore out of nowhere, then we get the fanservice pantyshots followed by beautiful 'falling down' scene where this guy catch out a girl. It was really mysterious the way Shaft pulled out this plotline; nevertheless it was Interesting, I still got the Persona 3 feeling. The main character (can't remember his name yet) reminds me of Minato from P3 yet again the ambience.

The artwork looks like Gankutsuou with the static background and moving characters, and the fluent movement was flawless.

DOH, the scene where she pulls out the stapler of his mouth; ORGASMIC, I got the chills and loved the way that beetch behaves; althought it was totally unnecessary the bunch of utensils she pulled out of her skirt.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 12, 2009 9:58 PM

Jan 2009
Im not a fucking Stapler Lover LOLOL.

But it definetly needs to have less Sex on it. Anyway Im waiting for subs.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 12, 2009 11:00 PM

Jan 2008
As many has said, animation is top notch.
But the story? A paranoid/stationary wielder girl who wants to have a normal weight and threatens anyone how finds she is light, sounds shallow to me. But we'll see how this goes.
Jul 12, 2009 11:08 PM

Dec 2007
After I watched the first episode, I am very pleased with this series, and Shaft has a good job on it. It was very promising and amazing to allow me want to watch more episodes. It have interesting, intriguing story. Moreover, the animation was amazing as always. The design on characters and background are extremely astonishing. I loved how Hitagi stapled Araragi's mouth from the inside, and she has many items as deadly weapons. I can't wait to watch more episodes.
Jul 13, 2009 2:08 AM

Oct 2007
Loved the first episode. The whole SHAFT style works surprisingly well for me again.

Anxiously awaiting the next episode.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Jul 13, 2009 2:21 AM

Apr 2009
aero said:
But the story? A paranoid/stationary wielder girl who wants to have a normal weight and threatens anyone how finds she is light, sounds shallow to me. But we'll see how this goes.

This.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 13, 2009 6:43 AM

Apr 2007
what a shit *yawn*

instant drop!!!
Jul 13, 2009 4:30 PM

Mar 2008
Pure Art and Masterpiece were the words my mouth left in that yellowishly and ambiently sunlit school atmosphere...
I could QFT most of your posts so far. But I guess there's no point doing it. Anyway, it was so brilliant I've no other words to express it.

And there's something particular noone seem to notice yet. And I so like the idea!! The character's voice under specific circumstance gets distorted as if lowering the bitrate and adding some overdrive. I just LOVE how SHAFT constantly brings something so inventive - and it's not even something visual! FANTASTIC!

Apart from that, I LOOOVED the humour!!!
this: Hanekawa, do you like bananas?
this: Senjougahara-sama
and then finally this:
Jul 13, 2009 5:48 PM

Apr 2008
DarkSageRK said:
aero said:

I wonder if this is a spoiler... Shouldn't be since all it would take to find out is looking at episode titles, but...

Gooooood damn it >_< whhyy did you do that? Curiosity killed my hopes. Well, at least there are more episodes to look for. And I hope I don't spoil more people with this quote. Haha.
Jul 13, 2009 5:50 PM

Jan 2009
gdavge2003 said:
DarkSageRK said:
aero said:

I wonder if this is a spoiler... Shouldn't be since all it would take to find out is looking at episode titles, but...

Gooooood damn it >_< whhyy did you do that? Curiosity killed my hopes. Well, at least there are more episodes to look for. And I hope I don't spoil more people with this quote. Haha.
But really, that wasn't a surprise now was it : p
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 13, 2009 8:52 PM

May 2008
The animation was quite different. I don't know if i'll like the whole realistic pictures combined with the animation, but who knows, maybe i'll get used to it.
I kind of wished he would continue being a vampire. That what made me start watching this show. Plus I kinda wish he was cuter-but he is cute, nonetheless.
The staple and exactoknife scene was pretty cool.
Overall an interesting anime that I think i'll continue watching.
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Jul 13, 2009 9:51 PM

Jul 2009
Tamaki-San said:
The main character (can't remember his name yet) reminds me of Minato from P3 yet again the ambience.

Nope, Araragi lack one main feature of Minato's: Always being paranoid by putting his hands in his pokets & reaching his "45 Magnum" 12/7.

DELICIOUS pantsu anime. Cant believe there comes the day where I can enjoy gawking panties in freaking HD x3 , guess I gotta believe Obama with his "YES WE CAN !!!" over anything ;p

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

29 by salarx »»
May 5, 12:14 PM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

6 by ichinose06 »»
Apr 27, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.