Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 22, 2009 1:05 PM

Jul 2009
Beatnik said:
Lemurian said:
To me it sounds like the The Wheel of Time of Anime. Is that far from the truth?

YES ITS VERY FUCKING FAR.

Then I suppose I'll have to watch it. ^^
Aug 23, 2009 12:04 AM
Sep 2007
Yeah, it's worth watching, though it tends to be boring sometimes.

Only thing is, why it wasn't so popular before 2008/2009?
Aug 24, 2009 2:34 AM

Nov 2008
Mjaut said:

It still not that popular yet. Word of mouth is getting results now I guess.
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Aug 24, 2009 5:23 PM
Mar 2009
AlecPyron said:
Mjaut said:

CA finish uploading their subs in 2007, I believe.
Aug 28, 2009 6:34 PM

Jan 2008
Mjaut said:

Only thing is, why it wasn't so popular before 2008/2009?[/quote
vvvpqsw said:
AlecPyron said:
Mjaut said:

This is pretty much why. There have been other subs, but Central Anime are easily the best out there, and because of the internet reaching more people with faster speeds, and widespread use of torrents, it started to make a relatively older series more popular than ever, without ever having any proper release of any kind here. The other point to that is that unlike some other old and never licensed shows (various mecha from the 80's), none are quite as long either.
Aug 28, 2009 7:42 PM

Jul 2008
vvvpqsw said:

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know how long did it take for Central Anime to fully translate the whole series?
Aug 29, 2009 1:39 AM

Mar 2008
I heard that it took them 2 years for the 110 OVA.
They finished the 1st series of Gaiden last year.
Currently they are subbing the second series of LoGH's Gaiden.
Aug 31, 2009 7:01 AM

Apr 2009
This show is really not that popular..but i guess that's why they like it.....
(I was amazed that about 2000 people have rated it and 2000+ plan to watch it)
azoerSep 1, 2009 1:39 AM

Aug 31, 2009 10:58 AM

Feb 2005
azoer said:
This show is really not that popular..but i guess that's why they like it.....
(i was amazed that about 2000 people have rated it and 2000+ plan to watch it
I, and I would imagine, the majority of the fans, like it because it's great, not because it's not mainstream.
Aug 31, 2009 11:02 AM

Apr 2009
How can any show with "Legend," "Galactic," and "Hero's" in the title be anything but epic? The only non-epic words are the obligatory connecting words.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Aug 31, 2009 11:55 PM

Mar 2008
In Japanese the title is Ginga (Galaxy) Eiyuu (heroes) Densetsu (Legend), only EPIC words and nothing between them to lessen the epicness of this title. ;)
Sep 1, 2009 12:16 PM

Sep 2007
This show sucks, don't watch it. I am currently on episode 26 and don't feel like finishing it

Sep 1, 2009 12:19 PM

Apr 2009
Moya said:
In Japanese the title is Ginga (Galaxy) Eiyuu (heroes) Densetsu (Legend), only EPIC words and nothing between them to lessen the epicness of this title. ;)

All right, that's the final straw. I'm going to have to watch this now no matter how long it is.
Sep 1, 2009 1:07 PM

Sep 2008
Moya said:

I'm sold.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 4, 2009 8:07 PM

Sep 2008
Only reason I haven't wached this yet is cause it's 110 very long episodes. It would take a lot of time and dedication to watch the whole thing.

This is probably why so many people aren't inclined on watching it...
Sep 4, 2009 11:20 PM

Apr 2009
5layer said:
Only reason I haven't wached this yet is cause it's 110 very long episodes. It would take a lot of time and dedication to watch the whole thing.

Simply put: their loss.
I was like that for a while too, but thankfully the overwhelmingly positive opinion of others who had seen it swayed my hesitation... thankfully.
Sep 5, 2009 5:12 AM

Feb 2005
I also tend to be skeptical towards such huge series, but then again, many people do watch Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and the like, all who are much longer, and is riddled with fillers.

Many other long series, like HnK and Galaxy Express (If I am not mistaken), tend to be largely episodic, which also puts me off a bit, but LoGh actually have enough story to properly go on for 110 episodes without resorting to filler or getting dragged out, so even as I was watching it, it did not feel as if I was wading through a hundred episodes.
Sep 5, 2009 1:31 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I actually stopped watching for a few weeks after finishing the first season. I was worried I'd forget the events from before. I was surprised to find out that I had remembered almost everything important from the first season, and I don't have the best memory. That just goes to show how much of an impression LotGH left on me.

Not to mention, that I blew through 7 episodes without watching anything else. That is something I rarely do.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 8, 2009 12:08 PM

Apr 2009
Man, every time I hear something about this show it just makes me want to watch it more. I'm just having a hard time believing that there's a show that long with a full storyline and is able to maintain quality.

If I was rich, I think I'd go to Funimation or someone and offer to fund the translation and dubbing of the show if they'll distribute it in America. I think it's sad that something that good is passed over because it's old and big.
Sep 8, 2009 2:46 PM

Feb 2005
CDRW said:
If I was rich, I think I'd go to Funimation or someone and offer to fund the translation and dubbing of the show if they'll distribute it in America. I think it's sad that something that good is passed over because it's old and big.
If you were, you should just release it in the west yourself, and broker a deal with CA to use their subs, enabling you to sell it much cheaper, so great justice can be spread more easily.
Sep 9, 2009 11:09 PM

May 2009
5layer said:

With the free time I've had I could have completed this series 5 times by now and I started 1 1/2 months ago. It isn't that long. If its too long watch it in seasons. There is no reason to pass up on this show

Don't recommend me something that is still publishing, unless its close to being finished. Don't recommend me anything that isn't licensed.
Oct 1, 2009 5:35 PM

Nov 2008
This show must be pretty good to be ranked #1 (it even beet my all time favorite anime Gurren Lagann). But 110 OVA episodes? I don't know. Is the anime really that good that you'd go through 110 OVA episodes? And if so, where can I watch it?
Oct 1, 2009 5:38 PM

Jun 2008
If you wanna get on the good side of 9/10 of MAL, then you should start it.
Oct 1, 2009 5:50 PM

Nov 2008
The MAL list of best rated anime is a complete joke. TTGL, Code Geass are all overrated series because majority of people using this site only watch the anime that have been released in the past 2-8 years.

This anime series is a must watch for all space opera fans. It is also a must for any anime fan of details and fantastic, epic storytelling. The animation is quite dated but the character depth is quite different from any anime series that has been released in the past two decades.

You'll either hate it because it might come across as boring and nothing flashy, enjoy it because of the humor, wit and complete storytelling or absolutely love it because you absolutely love space sagas and mlitary anime and/or this show has sentimental value.
Oct 1, 2009 5:55 PM

Jan 2008
yamiatomsk said:
This show must be pretty good to be ranked #1 (it even beet my all time favorite anime Gurren Lagann). But 110 OVA episodes? I don't know. Is the anime really that good that you'd go through 110 OVA episodes? And if so, where can I watch it?

I see you have Code Geass in your favourites. Without LotGH there wouldnt be Code Geass. So I think fans of that show will get something out of LotGH.

Central Anime has the best torrents. I once read someone streamed it too, dont know where, just google away and you'll find it in less than five minutes for sure.

EDIT: Also, I'm wondering why these threads keep popping up lately. The anime has 7 reviews for it now, which I'm sure explain why a person should watch the show much better than our thread replies.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 1, 2009 8:46 PM

Nov 2008
This is the third topic asking for the same thing in this board. Read here:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=95403
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Oct 23, 2009 9:33 PM

Nov 2007
sHsIkuA said:
This show sucks, don't watch it. I am currently on episode 26 and don't feel like finishing it

my deepest condolences LOL
Dec 6, 2009 8:50 AM

Apr 2009
Plate said:
It's a terrible anime and you should feel terrible for watching it.

hikky said:
Seriously, worst anime ever. Probably deserves some more 1s. Don't even bother OP, it's wasting your time clearly.

d'oh..
i planned on watching it now, tho when i saw this comments i deleted it
Dec 6, 2009 10:03 AM

Feb 2005
smokes said:
d'oh..
i planned on watching it now, tho when i saw this comments i deleted it
Protip, check people's favourites. It may save you from trolling.
Dec 6, 2009 10:31 AM

Apr 2009
^ you fell for that, mwahaha ^____________________^
btw they even have avatars with it. lol)
Dec 8, 2009 6:32 AM

Feb 2005
Oh dear.
Dec 8, 2009 3:35 PM

Jan 2008
Bittenfeld of the Galactic Bittenfelds is the best show i've ever watched. I especially like that part where the Kaiser calls his son Bittenfeld Bittenfeld von Hohernzollern- I MEAN- Lohengramm.
Sage
Dec 8, 2009 3:55 PM

Feb 2005
On the topic of Bittenfeld, guess what I called the dog in Dragon Age?

I love it when he rams the enemies and start biting their face.
Dec 8, 2009 11:05 PM

Mar 2008
Can you feed the dog with chicken meat in this game ?
Dec 9, 2009 4:19 AM

Apr 2008
Baman said:

Funny that, I named my dog in Dragon Age "Kircheis" just today.
Dec 11, 2009 1:49 AM

Aug 2009
Sadly, I haven't watched it, although my father is huge fan of this series. He watched EVERY SINGLE THING from it. But I just don't have time or good internet to cover 100 something episodes... >_>

Reading few very good connotation on this series, I started to think, 'Oh hell, I gotta watch thisu soon'. However, it's only me who haven't got to watch any animes that is called 'masterpiece', like Code Geass, Death Note, Clannad After Story, Kenshin OVA......

Silly me...
Dec 11, 2009 7:50 AM

Apr 2009
Goo4 said:
But I just don't have time or good internet to cover 100 something episodes... >_>

mwahahha, you are from '94 and dont have time for 100 eps ?
what will you do when you will be in university lol ? ;P

--
today i'll start watching teh show..
finally )
Dec 11, 2009 9:50 AM

Oct 2007
Goo4 said:
Sadly, I haven't watched it, although my father is huge fan of this series. He watched EVERY SINGLE THING from it. But I just don't have time or good internet to cover 100 something episodes... >_>

Reading few very good connotation on this series, I started to think, 'Oh hell, I gotta watch thisu soon'. However, it's only me who haven't got to watch any animes that is called 'masterpiece', like Code Geass, Death Note, Clannad After Story, Kenshin OVA......

Silly me...

From your mentioned titles,
Code Geass = Rubbish
Death Note = Good show, but not masterpiece(if only they keep its pace after eps 24)
Clannad After Story = This show COULD be a masterpiece had it NOT ended that way
Kenshin OVA = Arguably Masterpiece, only if you watch the main series already.

LoGH being a masterpiece is A FACT that cannot be denied.
Dec 11, 2009 3:34 PM

Jan 2008
If nothing else... If one were to forsake the depth or the plot, characters, and the inherent lessons embedded in the series... My reaction when the epic space battle anime suddenly had epic hand-to-hand axe action with blood everywhere (I was like: woah! where did this come from!?) made it worth watching. :p lol
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Dec 11, 2009 6:14 PM

Aug 2009
smokes said:
Goo4 said:
But I just don't have time or good internet to cover 100 something episodes... >_>

mwahahha, you are from '94 and dont have time for 100 eps ?
what will you do when you will be in university lol ? ;P

Meh, I can give tons of reasons for that, but I just don't want to annoy others saying that 'I'm attending to some special high school for high achieving students'. (jksjks)

Also, I have really really bad internet, which means it will took ages to download each episodes...
ringoo4Apr 14, 2010 5:45 AM
Jan 2, 2010 12:34 PM

Dec 2007
Three_Leaf_Ivy said:
Baman said:

Funny that, I named my dog in Dragon Age "Kircheis" just today.

My girlfriend and I have decided that, when we're living together, we will get fish and name the accordingly to their color. (Gold = Mittermeyer/von Lohengramm, Black = von Reuenthal, brown whitish = von Oberstein, etc)
Apr 6, 2010 1:42 AM

Mar 2007
I still don't have the will to watch this show. Im sure its going to be great in epic proportions like BenHur epic or Star wars epic. I mean, something is bound to be awesome after they work on it for 10+ years (cellphones anyone?) . But all I see how it turns all these "intelligent" anime fanatics into "arrogant" anime fanatics.

Sure fans will be fans but I mean there has to be a limit right? It's like LoGH has some sort of subliminal message noone can see or hear but it gets embedded in your brain. By the time you reach the end you lose all desire to watch anything else. Why would I want that...

...i'll probably watch it next week. Had to redownload the batch :(

The 3 attached to the left of LoGH is for jokes, please dont be butthurt.
RanivusApr 6, 2010 1:50 AM

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Apr 6, 2010 4:43 PM

Feb 2005
Ranivus said:
Sure fans will be fans but I mean there has to be a limit right? It's like LoGH has some sort of subliminal message noone can see or hear but it gets embedded in your brain.
Well, to be fair, the LoGh fanbase is still rather small and I've yet to come across any raving mad fans.

Most LoGH fans I've talked to manage to hold a proper conversation and can debate it properly through means other than spouting "EPIC" or pulling strawmen and fallacies everywhere. And just that is something I very frequently find in the fanboys of other many series.

Really, this whole "LoGH Elitsist" stuff only started when childish haters went about calling people that. Then a lot of us, like me, started living up to their expectations and playing elitist trolls just to piss them more off. Which is rather quite fun sometimes.
Apr 6, 2010 5:43 PM

Jun 2008
And disliking a show because of the fanbase is so wrong. :/
Apr 13, 2010 6:46 PM

May 2009
Vinzalf said:

*facepalm*
i guess u better stick to ur shouen titles and moecraps
and u better look at urself before starting to flame on others
Apr 13, 2010 7:52 PM

Jun 2008
raghunandan said:
Vinzalf said:

*facepalm*

EDIT: Off-topic.
CanopusApr 29, 2010 5:03 AM
Apr 14, 2010 1:08 AM

May 2009
Vinzalf said:
raghunandan said:
Vinzalf said:

*facepalm*

Yeah, sure, my list is SO FULL of these.

Excuse me, did you read what I wrote? Or you happen to be one of those people who hate shows because of their fanbases?

sorry i exaggerated it a bit .... i get irritated very fast
and did i ever say i hate LoGH because of its fanbase ??
Apr 14, 2010 5:40 AM

Jun 2008
raghunandan said:
Vinzalf said:
raghunandan said:
Vinzalf said:

*facepalm*

Yeah, sure, my list is SO FULL of these.

Excuse me, did you read what I wrote? Or you happen to be one of those people who hate shows because of their fanbases?

sorry i exaggerated it a bit .... i get irritated very fast
and did i ever say i hate LoGH because of its fanbase ??

EDIT: Whateva. This is off-topic.
CanopusApr 29, 2010 5:02 AM
Apr 28, 2010 3:12 AM

Jul 2008
I've read this entire thread, and am yet to see anyone on the defending side of LoGH do anything except calmly provide what the OP has asked for- a more thorough reason as to why they personally feel this show is so wonderful.

Only one person in my recollection said that someone could go watch harem shows if that's what floated their proverbial boat. One person though, out of numerous kind and positive responses... while all the people who have decided to say not to watch it (other than jokingly) have replied with one impolite sentence that gave no logical basis for their opinion.

I think the issue here stems from most of the people defending this show actually being adults. I.E. being capable of forming complete sentences, using words with more than 5 letters, and framing a persuasive idea in a paragraph without the usage of expletives.

Essentially, sounding more intelligent than a hormone inflamed teenager is viewed as "arrogant" behavior.

This happens so often it is ridiculous, being intelligent is extraordinarily undervalued by many cultures that speak the English language. This type of thinking is propagated by media, as many people who are depicted as having higher verbal acuity and intelligence are also depicted as the heads of murderous corporations or organized crime syndicates, criminals, and other assorted villains.

Just because someone didn't say "Man, this show was like so fckn awesome, cause like...dude... the characters are sweet...and like there's blood and spaceships and sht, and woah man" doesn't mean they're looking down on you.
Apr 28, 2010 7:20 PM

Aug 2008
All I can say is that being completely impatient to watch much of any anime anymore because of attention span and because of disinterest with most titles, I have been able to churn nine episodes a day, when I have the time. Watch maybe an episode twice a week, though it didn't take long for the ball to get rolling.

It lacks intense action, drama, romance of much any kind, or obvious humor, but it has a terribly keen view on human affairs and is sound in how it brings commentary and criticism on politics for the past millenia to the past few centuries and decades and even until now. The logic is easy to follow for being complex. The characters are good and believable but not of the sort where you are going to be thinking and wondering on their inner lives or interpersonal relationships. It's an odd thing because I am not preoccupied by the series outside of the time watching it (though I often look forward to being able to set time aside to watch it and I think a lot how wonderful I think this anime is and how glad I am to have been able to watch it, for personal reasons). But the time watching it is like eating a good meal. The excess is removed and what you have is very filling.

I am not sure if it is arrogance, but the series is very much a critic of arrogance of all sorts. I cannot say I find this anime touching or just as intellectual stimulation or as making me realize something deep and profound I never realized before...but I know I feel good when I do watch it and I feel like it gives me energy to go through good and shitty days. It somehow makes me forget about my own little life problems and consider the larger scope while being absorbed into something very well done.

But I, trying to be an objective person to a large degree, can say that it cannot be said, justifiably and to be true, that Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a poor anime in quality or a boring one. It's probably the most interesting anime I have ever seen without trying to be interesting because it does not try. I guess that is part of the greatness of it. But I think most anyone can watch this anime and see how our world and how we, collectively, fit into the plot's framework, since it is a fictionalized mirror image and was intended to be such...to mirror our history in a futuristic world and showing us why and how history repeats, why and how wars are fought, for what rationale, and it leads the viewer to see how one is pulled into propagated thought, how ideology is used as a political tool and how so much is sacrificed as nothing more than a fickle political tool.

So mind you that this anime is based off of a book and serves as a social commentary, much like Serial Experiments Lain except being much better and much, much more coherent and interesting.

Give it some time, but to make an anology of anime as literature, this is probably the greatest literary work I have seen, on that scale. Though I am speaking as someone who is barely past the first season, mind you.

I don't like anime about politics, really, but it's not even a matter of liking politics or not. It is what it is and can be appreciated by many for what it is. That is all I can really say.
aixelsydApr 28, 2010 8:40 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 25, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.