Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2009 3:33 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This show continues to impress me. But, Tsukikage is using Maya IMO. I guess she wants the best for her, but I don't think it was right to burn the clothes and letter.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 4, 2009 5:27 PM

Jan 2008
I'm surprised this hasn't really been discussed here before.. thanks for starting, usasoldiern! ^_^

I randomly picked this series but.. wow, I really like it so far! O.O It's not like I've watched a whole lot of shoujo before (recently, at least) so I guess I was taken aback a bit.. And it's only been 4 episodes. For once the rival doesn't seem annoying, either.

usasoldiern said:
This show continues to impress me. But, Tsukikage is using Maya IMO. I guess she wants the best for her, but I don't think it was right to burn the clothes and letter.

Yup.. I also thought slapping her mom was somewhat.. unnecessary, although I understand why she did it. Still.. she sure is possessive of Maya already. o_o
Jul 7, 2009 12:00 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I'm trying to spread the word about this show.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 6, 2011 1:04 PM

Sep 2008
I'm caught between thinking Tsukikage is well-intentioned in her actions towards/involving Maya... or whether she's just, as insan3soldiern said, using her for her own benefit or personal satisfaction or something.

In any case... still really enjoying this show. :D Didn't think it would be so awesome when I started watching it, but I've definitely been pleasantly surprised by the consistently good quality of these couple of episodes.
Apr 12, 2013 5:17 PM
Aug 2011
Well I think it's a bit of both. (Using her and trying to help her at the same time.)

That doesn't take away the fact that the mother is still acts pretty horribly.
Jun 10, 2013 1:07 PM
Jan 2013
Tsukikage sees in Maya potential that nobody else sees and is willing to do everything to keep her on the path that is what's best for her. Yeah, everything around Maya's life stinks, but if you sweep away what will pass, what remains is that Maya has basically one talent, and that one talent is so bright that she can't be happy doing anything else. Like she said, if Maya's mother had damaged her face, Maya would have had no path left to pursue. She's mediocre at best outside of acting, but in acting, she's amazing.
Maya's mother didn't understand her and was actively standing in the way of her one true path. I agree that what Tsukikage did was wrong on a lot of levels, but the fact remains that she shows more love to Maya than Maya's mother does. Would she show that love if Maya weren't a natural actress? Probably not, but the result is that she's doing what's in Maya's best interest.
Maya's mother is being denied a relationship with her daughter, but she didn't have a good relationship with her to begin with, and she made her choices that led to that break. She broke her daughter's heart and pushed her into the arms of a stranger. If she truly wants to have the relationship with her daughter, she needs to go to every one of her plays and support her decisions.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Aug 2, 2017 6:17 AM
Aug 2014
Did you miss the part where Maya ran away without even asking her mother if she could join the troupe? Now her mother probably would have said no, but the mother came around after hearing Tsukikage. So it would be safe to assume that Tsukikage could have convinced her to let Maya join, but she didn't do that.

Instead she allowed Maya to join her troupe after obviously lying about getting permission from her mother resulting in her mother storming in to take her back. Something most mothers would have done. Now she was seriously out of line threatening and throwing the boiling water, but it's still her child. But the resulting break from her family was clearly something she was aiming for.
May 11, 2019 3:34 PM

Apr 2009
Lorezhno said:
Did you miss the part where Maya ran away without even asking her mother if she could join the troupe? Now her mother probably would have said no, but the mother came around after hearing Tsukikage. So it would be safe to assume that Tsukikage could have convinced her to let Maya join, but she didn't do that.

Instead she allowed Maya to join her troupe after obviously lying about getting permission from her mother resulting in her mother storming in to take her back. Something most mothers would have done. Now she was seriously out of line threatening and throwing the boiling water, but it's still her child. But the resulting break from her family was clearly something she was aiming for.

They both did wrong, but in Maya's best interest would be her joining the troupe. The mother calls her useless and is ashamed of her, is that what a mother does? And Maya would break with her mother if that was the only way to pursue her dream. She actually already did it when she ran away. Under Tsukikage she had a better chance to stand her ground and pursue her dream.
And Maya did ask her mother but got denied. Yes, we don't know if her mother would agree if Tsukikage talked to her. I strongly suspect that her mother wouldn't agree, still. Bc the situation would be different, as Maya would be in her home and Tsukikage can hardly force her way in and take Maya away. Now, the mother had to accept that her daughter won't be coming home. She didn't have much choice anyway than just accept. Ofc, it's wrong of Tsuchikage to burn the stuff, seems quite possessive to me. While Maya's mother didn't appreciate her, Tsuchikage does see the talent though I doubt that she appreciates Maya truly either. But at least, Maya gets to pursue her dream, sth she'd never be able to if she were to obey her mother.
Dec 2, 2019 5:52 AM

Oct 2015
What an intense episode. That confrontation between Tsukikage and Maya's mother turned into something else, slaps and boiling water were the main attractions.

I understand Tsukikage wants to make focus by severing her ties with her mother, but I still think it was a horrible thing to do.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 29, 2020 9:10 PM

Aug 2014
Tsukikage reminds me of those mothers that dress their children up and force them to do beauty pageants. They want to live their dreams vicariously through that of someone that is easy to manipulate to their will, someone that can grow up alongside them. I think Tsukikage is only using Maya for her own self-interest, not Maya's.

It particularly leaves a sour taste in my mouth that Tsukikage burnt that box. I hope Maya personally decides to keep contact with her mother. I believe their relationship can be salvaged.

I think of it like this. If another person were to come around and meet Tsukikage's standards for the "perfect" actress, Maya would have nowhere else to go. Maya would not have the means to attend a different school, and she'd be stuck living unhappily at home. It's a very morally grey situation in my opinion. This really, truly is Maya's one chance to make something of her life.

Aside from Tsukikage, I do feel sympathy towards Maya's mother. I understand her fear, as Maya is jumping into something she has had little experience with beforehand aside from watching some movies and plays. To a mother, that would be absolutely terrifying. Whilst she did say some fairly nasty comments to Maya, she has resolved to giving her this chance to become someone.

While I may dislike Tsukikage, I am still heavily invested in this show. I think these types of characters are rarely depicted in anime, so it's cool seeing them put to use here. Furthermore, the fact that the show has firmly established that this is quite literally Maya's ONLY CHANCE to become an actress is good, as it adds some rather large stakes to her pursuit of acting. Looking forward to more.
CriscosandwichJun 29, 2020 9:16 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 51 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 12, 2011

34 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 12, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 49 Discussion

9 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 12, 7:27 AM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 45 Discussion

senerikfred - Dec 13, 2009

11 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Glass no Kamen (2005) Episode 47 Discussion

greentutu - Jun 29, 2013

7 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 46 Discussion

5 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 6:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.