Forum Settings
Forums

One in four Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

New
Feb 14, 2014 3:18 PM

Jan 2009
The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score—6.5 correct—was barely a passing grade.

Just 74 percent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

Fewer than half (48 percent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.

The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.

Nearly 90 percent said the benefits of science outweigh any dangers, and about the same number expressed interest in learning about medical discoveries.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html#jCp
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 14, 2014 3:23 PM

Feb 2012
j0x said:
One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.

Nearly 90 percent said the benefits of science outweigh any dangers,
What does this have to do with science and its funding?
It's about education. Building particle colliders won't teach Americans that the Earth is round.
Feb 14, 2014 3:24 PM

Aug 2013
That is messed up. The U.S is one of the most technological and advanced nations in the world, and yet a portion of its population seem to be so... backwards. Stop that.

Kinda relevant
Feb 14, 2014 3:28 PM

Apr 2013
blame religions.
Feb 14, 2014 3:46 PM

Feb 2013
They should take it a step further and ask people if the Earth is round or flat.

Also, pretty sure a lot of those 1-in-4s are just trolling.
Feb 14, 2014 3:49 PM

Nov 2012
So should i be surprised that my country is retarded...
im not really surprised seeing that teens are more interested in clothes and sneakers rather than school
Feb 14, 2014 3:59 PM
Jan 2014
j0x said:
The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score—6.5 correct—was barely a passing grade.

Just 74 percent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

Fewer than half (48 percent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.

The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

Nearly 90 percent said the benefits of science outweigh any dangers, and about the same number expressed interest in learning about medical discoveries.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html#jCp

Wait, you're saying the Earth circles the SUN?!

Since when?
Feb 14, 2014 4:11 PM

Nov 2008
All planets in the milky way revolve around the Sun, Earth included, learn Science America.

Feb 14, 2014 4:24 PM

Sep 2013
j0x said:

Obviously this is a lie. It should be common knowledge that God made humans from clay 11000 years ago. Americans need to study the bible more.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Feb 14, 2014 4:25 PM

Aug 2009
I would call shenanigans/another excuse for Europeans to talk shit about us, but we do have people who don't know who Adolf Hitler is...

*sigh*

♪ Oh, Canada... ♪

Feb 14, 2014 4:26 PM

Jun 2008
Did they just grab randoms from the bible belt? I'd imagine the numbers will be quite different otherwise.
Feb 14, 2014 4:29 PM

Nov 2013
I'm pretty sure I learned the basics of astronomy in Elementary School. Who did they ask these questions?
Feb 14, 2014 4:39 PM

Jan 2011
Hoppy said:
All planets in the milky way revolve around the Sun, Earth included, learn Science America.

Feb 14, 2014 4:54 PM

Apr 2012
Heard this on the radio today while I was driving. Makes me wonder who the hell they do these surveys on. Anyone that goes through even elementary school learns the basics about astronomy including order of the planets and such.
Feb 14, 2014 5:04 PM

Aug 2008
I wanted to post this article - but - I'd rather not just go ahead and post every news article that I see - etc.

But yea.

I wanted to slap my face. Instead, I did the mental facepalm. Really America? C'mon, I know that people are stupid - but THIS stupid?! Holy crap, this is 2nd grade material.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Feb 14, 2014 5:07 PM

Jun 2011
Just who did they survey? I highly doubt that number is representative of the entire country, or at least I hope not because that would mean there are around 80 million people who haven't passed elementary school here.
Feb 14, 2014 5:10 PM
Sep 2013
Come onnn guys, we all know the Sun revolves around the Earth.
Feb 14, 2014 5:34 PM

Jan 2011
JonyJC said:
Hoppy said:

...still waiting.
Feb 14, 2014 5:46 PM

Apr 2011
Now tell me how many still think Pluto is a planet.
Feb 14, 2014 7:54 PM

May 2010
Now tell me how many still think the Earth is flat?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 14, 2014 7:56 PM

Mar 2008
Confucius said:
Now tell me how many still think the Earth is flat?
Don't be silly, the world is cubed.
Feb 14, 2014 8:27 PM

Jan 2014
j0x said:

I'm calling crap on this one. What, were 25% of the surveyees kids under the age of four or something? Or maybe they just used intentionally misleading language to see if they could drum up some controversy. I find it extremely difficult to believe this particular statistic.

j0x said:

This I can understand. Interesting the wording of this phrase; the way it is presented, one would think that the evolution of human beings is fact. It is not, not by a long shot. Evolution is a theory, but the history of that theory shows all too well that if you assert something over and over again adamantly enough people will start to accept it as fact.

Valaskjalf said:

There is a huge difference between scientific fact and consensus classification. I was taught in school that it was a planet; Pluto's status was downgraded when we found out there are a bunch of significantly sized rocks out there.
Feb 14, 2014 8:40 PM

Dec 2012
facepalm
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Feb 14, 2014 8:44 PM
Nov 2008
I like how I've gone from one thread about how voting should be more geared towards rich people in the USA, to a thread where a great chunk of Americans are shown to be idiots.
Feb 14, 2014 8:45 PM
Jul 2018
High five for the Ptolemaic system. Gone but not forgotten.
Feb 14, 2014 9:27 PM

Apr 2010
Valaskjalf said:

Never forget...
Its better to have burned out than to have never really shined...
Feb 14, 2014 9:29 PM

Mar 2008
StonerWithABoner said:
Valaskjalf said:

Never forget...
Pluto will always remain in planetary orbit around our hearts.
Feb 14, 2014 9:38 PM

Sep 2012
So 2,200 people were surveyed and that proves that 1 in 4 people in a nation of 300 million don't know that the Earth revolves around the Sun?

Bullshit.
Feb 14, 2014 9:43 PM
Nov 2008
Reverb_Shock said:
So 2,200 people were surveyed and that proves that 1 in 4 people in a nation of 300 million don't know that the Earth revolves around the Sun?

Bullshit.
Sample sizing and surveys go hand-in-hand. That's how we get every statistic in the modern day.
Feb 14, 2014 9:45 PM

Sep 2012
Heredity said:
Reverb_Shock said:

Bullshit.
Sample sizing and surveys go hand-in-hand. That's how we get every statistic in the modern day.
A sample size of 2,200 is way too small imo. It also depends where they did the survey, the education of the people they interviewed, what jobs they had.

I'm just saying this in no way proves that America is stupid. There are much better surveys that prove that lol
Feb 14, 2014 9:50 PM
Nov 2008
Reverb_Shock said:
Heredity said:
Reverb_Shock said:

Bullshit.
A sample size of 2,200 is way too small imo. It also depends where they did the survey, the education of the people they interviewed, what jobs they had.

I'm just saying this in no way proves that America is stupid. There are much better surveys that prove that lol
Where are those surveys, and what were their sample sizes? You just sound angry that a survey has stated 1/4 Americans to be stupid.
Feb 14, 2014 9:54 PM

Mar 2013
i just lost quite a lot of faith in humanity
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 14, 2014 9:55 PM

Sep 2012
Heredity said:
Reverb_Shock said:
Heredity said:
Reverb_Shock said:

Bullshit.

Where are those surveys, and what were their sample sizes? You just sound angry that a survey has stated 1/4 Americans to be stupid.
I was just kidding about the better surveys. I was just trying to say that Americans are probably mostly stupid, but this survey doesn't prove it.
Feb 14, 2014 9:55 PM

Sep 2010
1/4 have got to be joking. I doubt that many Americans are stupid. I can believe that only 48% knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals because of religion, though.

Ckan said:
StonerWithABoner said:
Valaskjalf said:

Never forget...
rip planet pluto. Never even got to do 1 orbit around the sun while being a planet
Feb 14, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2014
JonyJC said:
JonyJC said:
Hoppy said:
All planets in the solar system revolve around the Sun, Earth included, learn Science America.

...still waiting.

fixed.

The fact that even 572 people think like this (One in four Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun) makes me sad as an American. I'd love to believe this is statistical anomaly or selection bias (a bigger sample size would help), but there probably is a large number of people who think this way. Crappy poll with bad funding to produce sensational results designed to stir people to action, but probably creating more skeptics of science, or people who ignore it when it does not produce favorably biased results.

layfonkun said:
High five for the Ptolemaic system. Gone but not forgotten.

How many of those 572 people (or 1 in 4 Americans) know what an epicycle is?
Hint: not an epic cycle to ride on.
Feb 14, 2014 10:02 PM
Nov 2008
Reverb_Shock said:
I was just kidding about the better surveys. I was just trying to say that Americans are probably mostly stupid, but this survey doesn't prove it.
It does a better job at it than no survey at all, baybee.

Mod Edit: quote tower fixed.
ThangLongFeb 15, 2014 10:10 AM
Feb 14, 2014 10:04 PM

Jan 2014
animeoppai said:
Ckan said:
StonerWithABoner said:
Valaskjalf said:

Never forget...
rip planet pluto. Never even got to do 1 orbit around the sun while being a planet

So what was Pluto doing before 1930?
Feb 14, 2014 10:09 PM

Sep 2010
^ Not being discovered. I'm saying it hasn't done one full orbit since it's discovery, not before.

ThangLongFeb 15, 2014 10:10 AM
Feb 14, 2014 11:15 PM

Jan 2014
^ As far as I know, discovery is not a condition of whether or not an object is a planet or not, in both the old definition and the new. It is still the same object regardless of discovery, naming, and classification. Just because we do not know about something does not mean we cannot refer to it before and after its discovery. The case of Pluto is rare also because we looked for it even before it was discovered, known as the search for Planet X. When Pluto was still being worshipped as god of the Underworld, the now dwarf planet, though unknown, was still orbiting the sun. Regardless of when in time, it shall be known as a dwarf planet as long it remains meeting the conditions in the definition.

ThangLongFeb 15, 2014 10:11 AM
Feb 15, 2014 3:59 PM

Jun 2008
I did hear Pluto was not classified as a planet anymore, however, I don't actually remember if Pluto is still there orbiting in our solar system? This information is not exactly relevant whatsoever to most people though. There's a significance of knowing we orbit around the Sun, since it explains a lot of stuff like the change of seasons. There isn't however, much significance to know if Pluto is or isn't classified as a planet anymore.

As for the validity of the data, we frankly cannot judge it unless we read the paper on it. I am inclined to believe that Americans are limited in this type of knowledge, especially if they were interviewed around the Bible Belt zones in USA.
Feb 16, 2014 2:31 AM

Jul 2012
Do people really believe this "survey." What a load of horse shit. The article makes no mention about how the survey was conducted, who they surveyed, what the sampling error was, what kind of sample they surveyed, not even what the actual survey question was. They only give a single vague statistic and automatically claim it representative of all of america. It very easy to misconstrue information or alter a question to serve an different purpose. In politics they conduct polls all the time to sway public opinion. They don't even have to publish the results. Just ask a question that will get the public to think negatively about the opposing candidate. Here, the purpose of the survey is very clear. They want money. The information provided does nothing to explain why americans might be less educated, nor does it provide any type of solution. It can however be used to convince the higher ups that "Hey Americans suck at science but they want more science, give us money," A claim that, again, is complete horse shit.
Feb 16, 2014 3:05 AM
Nov 2008
Bro-K201 said:
Do people really believe this "survey." What a load of horse shit. The article makes no mention about how the survey was conducted, who they surveyed, what the sampling error was, what kind of sample they surveyed, not even what the actual survey question was. They only give a single vague statistic and automatically claim it representative of all of america. It very easy to misconstrue information or alter a question to serve an different purpose. In politics they conduct polls all the time to sway public opinion. They don't even have to publish the results. Just ask a question that will get the public to think negatively about the opposing candidate. Here, the purpose of the survey is very clear. They want money. The information provided does nothing to explain why americans might be less educated, nor does it provide any type of solution. It can however be used to convince the higher ups that "Hey Americans suck at science but they want more science, give us money," A claim that, again, is complete horse shit.

I love Google.
Feb 16, 2014 3:33 AM

Feb 2013
Moog- said:
That is messed up. The U.S is one of the most technological and advanced nations in the world, and yet a portion of its population seem to be so... backwards. Stop that.

Kinda relevant
you make a good point it is odd
Feb 16, 2014 4:24 PM

Oct 2009
Seravander said:
animeoppai said:
Ckan said:
StonerWithABoner said:
Valaskjalf said:

Never forget...

Pluto was guarding the space time door on the outer ring, and one day when earth needs help, she and her two other comrades will revive Saturn to save the universe.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 16, 2014 5:03 PM

Mar 2008
azzuRe said:
Seravander said:
animeoppai said:
Ckan said:
StonerWithABoner said:
Valaskjalf said:

Never forget...

Pluto was guarding the space time door on the outer ring, and one day when earth needs help, she and her two other comrades will revive Saturn to save the universe.
BUT WHAT ABOUT JUPITER?! Jupiter is always important.
Feb 16, 2014 5:18 PM

Oct 2009
Ckan said:
azzuRe said:
Seravander said:
animeoppai said:
Ckan said:
StonerWithABoner said:
Valaskjalf said:

Never forget...

BUT WHAT ABOUT JUPITER?! Jupiter is always important.

She was too electric and dazzling, so they kicked her out from the outer group.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 16, 2014 5:20 PM

Sep 2011

Document said:
Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth? (Earth around Sun) ..........................
United States (2012): 74
China (2010): NA
EU (2005): 66
India (2004): 70
Japan (2011): NA
Malaysia (2008): 72
Russia (2003): NA
South Korea (2004): 86
I honestly don't know what to think of the data it has. It references another document in its notes with quite different results:

...Two additional
questions used a multiple choice format. These asked about
(21) whether the sun moves around the Earth, whether the
Earth moves around the sun (correct), or neither the sun nor
the Earth moves (Europe correct: 80%, United States correct:
82%);...

In general that document isn't very reassuring.
EeyoreFeb 16, 2014 5:23 PM
Feb 16, 2014 5:22 PM

Apr 2012
ahhh i thought the world was flat

mind blown

Feb 16, 2014 5:36 PM
Jan 2014
Viviaan said:
So should i be surprised that my country is retarded...
im not really surprised seeing that teens are more interested in sex and relationships rather than school

^Fixed that for you.

Also I can speak from experience that a majority of American youth is ignorant and if not stupid. I was always praised for good grades and shit yet I didn't even study other than in science or when we read an actually interesting book in Lit. Schools are cesspits from what I've seen/been through.
Feb 16, 2014 5:50 PM
Nov 2008
-Linus- said:

Document said:
Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth? (Earth around Sun) ..........................
United States (2012): 74
China (2010): NA
EU (2005): 66
India (2004): 70
Japan (2011): NA
Malaysia (2008): 72
Russia (2003): NA
South Korea (2004): 86
I honestly don't know what to think of the data it has. It references another document in its notes with quite different results:

...Two additional
questions used a multiple choice format. These asked about
(21) whether the sun moves around the Earth, whether the
Earth moves around the sun (correct), or neither the sun nor
the Earth moves (Europe correct: 80%, United States correct:
82%);...

In general that document isn't very reassuring.

The figures would make sense if you had read the title of that section of the document: Correct answers to factual knowledge questions in physical and biological sciences, by country/region:
Most recent year (Percent giving correct answer)

I'm not even sure if you're grabbing a quote for those second figure from the same year - the cited document only uses the most recent year for those percentage figures. Were you citing this? Because the percentages are quite close. Just CRTL+F 'EARTHSUN'
no-thanksFeb 16, 2014 6:09 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.