Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jun 10, 2013 10:23 AM

Apr 2011
Well that was...interesting in it's own way. I didn't really get everything, it was confusing most of the time, but I think it was good but I wasn't so satisfied.

At least the movie made up for most of it.

8/10
Jun 16, 2013 3:27 PM

Jul 2012
So this anime as a whole wasn't too bad. I am just extremely lost to what I should do now. Can someone tell me what part of Evangelion I should watch now? Like the movies first? Or "The End of Evangelion"? I am definitely not satisfied with the anime ending.

This anime was soo cool in the beginning. Then it just mindcrushed me.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite."(Steins;Gate)

Jun 16, 2013 3:28 PM

Aug 2012
Rice4Asians said:
So this anime as a whole wasn't too bad. I am just extremely lost to what I should do now. Can someone tell me what part of Evangelion I should watch now? Like the movies first? Or "The End of Evangelion"? I am definitely not satisfied with the anime ending.

This anime was soo cool in the beginning. Then it just mindcrushed me.

Death and Rebirth is optional.

End of Eva, then the rebuilds/ (1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0)
Jun 17, 2013 10:34 PM

Apr 2012
i felt like I just watched a "shittier" version of Ergo Proxy. So Shinji finally broke out of his cyclical negative mental thought processes of being insecure, worthless, being hated by everyone, etc. Still what does this have to do with Eva, Angels, etc and the last 24 episodes -_-. Guess i'll go watch end of eva and the rebuilds ~_~
zzzeallyJun 17, 2013 10:47 PM

Jun 18, 2013 8:24 AM

Jan 2013
That was pretty good, the ending however wasn't that satisfactory. It was using old frames, probably under-budgeted. I'm definitely going to check out the movies and whatever else I can get my grubby hands on.
Jun 19, 2013 5:22 PM

Jun 2011
what the fudge did i just watched
Jun 19, 2013 5:23 PM

Oct 2012
Snookies said:
what the fudge did i just watched

Psychologically impaired kids doing psychologically impaired things.
Have fun with its sequel, End of Evangelion!

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 24, 2013 3:30 PM
May 2013
What ?!

I'm so confused I don't know how much should I give to NGE. I'm not sure if this anime is a masterpiece or the worst anime ever.

Episode 25 and 26 are the core of the psychological theme of this anime.

Psychological anime are great. Mecha anime are great. After watching NGE I realized that a combination between mecha and psychological anime is so wrong.
Jun 24, 2013 3:32 PM

Dec 2012
This wasn't a proper ending, due to budget constraints, but it was still incredible. EoE fixed any issue with the ending anyway.
(EoE spoilers)
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 28, 2013 2:46 PM

Mar 2013
After watching the last 2 episodes I feel like I need to go and get a psychology degree then rewatch them to even try and comprehend what the fuck was going on.
Jul 5, 2013 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
I think I got that Shinji is worthless outside of his role as a pilot, Rei has no soul, Asuka lives on the praise of others, and Misato has a disfunctional relationship. That was practically laid out the moment we knew the pilots were 14 years old.

What are the angels? What causes these so-called "contacts"? What happens at these "contacts"? Could all this pseudo-philosophical "men as god", "men as creator", references to Lillith and the lillim, and whatever elements of the story I've forgotten by now be explained? Don't just throw big words and concepts around if you're not going to use them to big anything meaningful or even attempt to understand them. Guh, this was awful. ;~; This show just fell completely apart...The writer bit off more than he could chew in terms of breadth of story and theme, that much is evident.

I didn't want to be put inside a 14-year-old boy's head. I was practically there at one point myself and struggled with self-image and finding a sense of belonging. My own internal conflict had about the same depth as Shinji's because I was only an inexperienced adolescent with an extremely narrow perspective. How could this have gone anywhere to begin with?

The time and budget could have definitely been spent better after the first 6 episodes. >_> The show itself is terribly flawed, so it's fortunate that it apparently had such a tremendous effect. The only worth this show has (past the good opening and artwork<333) is its impact and influence.

I'm so glad that's over.
Jul 13, 2013 5:23 PM

Jun 2013
Greatest ending, not just in anime, but in all of fiction. Omedetou, Shinji-kun!
Jul 15, 2013 10:18 PM

Jul 2008
Wow... pointless episode. At least episode 25 somewhat fits with the series as a recap. This episode is just... not even relevant. Put any of the other characters, Asuka, Rei, or Misato, in that chair and it would fit. Basically, telling the viewers, the world is however you view it, happy or sad depends on you.

Director: Hey we are at episode 24 already and we only have 2 episodes to go and have to much shit to explain and low on budget. Let's make episode 25 as a long recap for the mental breakdown of each character but stretched out. Well, no idea on episode 26. Maybe we will just try state the obvious in a long winded manner and try to be deep and philosophical about it and hope the viewers don't catch the bs we are pulling.
Jul 16, 2013 2:20 AM

Sep 2012
Massive WTF, but I actually loved every episode of this series, even the finale. I found the way they ended the series was unique, and I'm probably one of the few people who actually appreciated the ending. I can understand wholly why people hate it though, and I'm reserving judgement for EoE, which I have yet to watch.
Jul 16, 2013 5:30 PM
Feb 2013
the show was so good but the ending........i juz 4x on episode 25 and 26...my head was bursting
Jul 25, 2013 6:20 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah, I read about the final two episodes of the TV-Series so I knew what to expect. This one was ok (let's say 6/10). Hard to say anything that hasn't been said here before. I liked the fact that Shinji finally made some progress. But to an epic series like this one would have deserved an epic ending.
I love the TV-Series as a whole. Last two episodes of it - not so much. Oh well. There's EoE and the reboot movies that I can watch after this. Looking forward to that.
Jul 26, 2013 12:50 PM
Mar 2012
WHAT WAS THAT! MY TIME GIVE ME BACK MY TIME!
Aug 5, 2013 9:13 AM

Jan 2008
So I finally got around to watching this crap, and by God, crap it was D:

They were low on budget and instead of giving us even crappier animation than we already received they decided to give us some retarded attempt at being deep and in the end it was just a bunch of playing around with nonsense, it's more about the aesthetic of trying to be deep and meaningful instead of actually being deep and meaningful.

3/10 for this shit given how Shinji is some loser with a fucked-up dad and shitty guardian as well as being surrounded by just as fucked-up individuals year-round. Hopefully the movies are better.
TheUniqueReaperAug 5, 2013 9:16 AM
Aug 8, 2013 1:56 PM

Aug 2010
Its not entirely bad though. Considering the year it was made, its was either revolutionary or too risky. My only problem is that it does not have a proper closure and there are a lot of unanswered questions. Then again that's why they made the director's cut, EoE movie, Death and Rebirth and the four part movie series. Better start watching!

P.S.
I think that the whole congrats shinji thing was totally unnecessary and very gay :P
Aug 11, 2013 4:46 PM

Oct 2009
The slice of life skit was nice.
Aug 11, 2013 5:18 PM

Apr 2013
One of the best animes , loved it , especially the psychological side , trully briliant !
Aug 12, 2013 4:26 PM

Jul 2013
Yup, one of the masterpieces of the earlier generation( dont want to mess around a lot with whys and hows, just leave it at that :S), but did I enjoy it? mixed opinions there...
The problem with this certain anime series is that it tries to show itself differently then other anime series, in another light, as a form of art and yet stay in the part of entertainment industry, it tries to stay as light as other anime series yet "dark", "gritty" and philosophical as other branches of art and this is what ticks off a lot of people( me self included). But on the other hand I also appreciated it and its THAT part of the anime that makes it special, different and ultimately GOOD.
It evokes emotion, opinions and differences(in opinions, debates) AND THAT IS CORE meaning of art, did it succeed? You tell me...Leave the budget story away, it DID affect the anime, but its not the sole pivot point, don't divert attention to it, I cant count how many art pieces were made without budget alone...
The fact that it scaped the culture is a proof of its success as anime and of course the ability to generate so much attention and opinions. Some may not appreciate it because that isn't what they are looking in ANIME rather they seek to be entertained with only "primitive" (nothing bad about it) show. Don't get me wrong, I also like watching Pacific Rim, Batman and the likes, but THIS isn't that kind of entertainment. So don't take shi+ on it because you didn't understand it or didn't like the ending, in a way it is also an art and therefore it doesn't serve the sole reason of entertaining, some people watch it because ART is entertaining to them.(That would be the problem of subjectivity)
:S I have already made an essay, sry about that, but this sort of explains the ambiguity of the ending and portrays my understanding of NGE and its ending, feel free to disagree because constructive criticism is always welcome :)
Aug 13, 2013 8:09 AM

Jan 2013
Episode 26 is very strange,the same as 25,but they could replaced those 2 episodes with only those 5mins with school (that we see in the ep26),that would be a better endind,or at least an alternative ending :D
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 13, 2013 8:23 AM

May 2012
AivanK said:
Episode 26 is very strange,the same as 25,but they could replaced those 2 episodes with only those 5mins with school (that we see in the ep26),that would be a better endind,or at least an alternative ending :D
Watch END OF EVANGELION. You wont be disappointed.
Aug 14, 2013 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
Well ... so the moral of the story which started off as aliens vs robots was "just be yourself" ?

That was just ... I don't even know. I love psychological things but this kinda just felt like a waste of two episodes, it seems they should have just ended it on episode 24 which I loved.

Rei's voice in that other reality bit was horrible.

I guess I'll have to watch End of Evangelion tomorrow if I can find it online and see what that's like.
Aug 22, 2013 1:21 AM

Aug 2013
The emperor has no clothes. You can always root out who's being pretentious by their responses to Eva's haphazardly assembled faux-philosophical ending.
Aug 22, 2013 8:40 PM

Jul 2013
Jotaro_Kujo said:
The emperor has no clothes. You can always root out who's being pretentious by their responses to Eva's haphazardly assembled faux-philosophical ending.

Im detecting a pattern here, its like yo' dawg we made pretentious response to a pretentious response...

Does it bother you that someone had a good impression of NGE? Where is the reason and some REAL argument to hold the water? Why so much unreasonable hate? Offended?

In all seriousness you aren't contributing to the topic, only coming off as an even bigger pretentious azz by trying to insult anyone that has left any sort of comment/view on NGE...while at the same time proving that you are just a simpleton without giving out any sort of argument or anything to hold your claim. Hmph....Hypocrite much?

The "pretentious ones" at least said something concrete unlike your quite short and unexplained "faux philosophical" which still doesn't make up for a base to insult the thread contributors(indirectly) or as discussion of NGE ending(or NGE at all). Dunno!? frustrated?
Thats the only conclusion I can get from your statement; building up your ego by insulting others...

Mate go flamebaiting/trolling somewhere else...
Cant wait for you to reply, so I can see another smart-ass comment(maybe?)...

Edit:

BTW it IS philosophical, no matter how you turn it around, if you still insist its just faux and that I'm just one of the "pretenders", *sigh* go back to school or at least go wiki what philosophy is, it should explain it in details

The problem is you are messing it up with being cheesy, quirky and/or surreal(which one is your problem and why?)
Thus we can still argue that its "haphazardly assembled"(wanna use funds as an excuse?). The Child has no clothes, or just another naked plebeian following the example ?

;) cheers
NannermanAug 22, 2013 8:57 PM
Aug 23, 2013 1:28 AM

Aug 2013
Nannerman said:
Im detecting a pattern here, its like yo' dawg we made pretentious response to a pretentious response...

Does it bother you that someone had a good impression of NGE? Where is the reason and some REAL argument to hold the water? Why so much unreasonable hate? Offended?

In all seriousness you aren't contributing to the topic, only coming off as an even bigger pretentious azz by trying to insult anyone that has left any sort of comment/view on NGE...while at the same time proving that you are just a simpleton without giving out any sort of argument or anything to hold your claim. Hmph....Hypocrite much?

The "pretentious ones" at least said something concrete unlike your quite short and unexplained "faux philosophical" which still doesn't make up for a base to insult the thread contributors(indirectly) or as discussion of NGE ending(or NGE at all). Dunno!? frustrated?
Thats the only conclusion I can get from your statement; building up your ego by insulting others...

Edit:

BTW it IS philosophical, no matter how you turn it around, if you still insist its just faux and that I'm just one of the "pretenders", *sigh* go back to school or at least go wiki what philosophy is, it should explain it in details

The problem is you are messing it up with being cheesy, quirky and/or surreal(which one is your problem and why?)
Thus we can still argue that its "haphazardly assembled"(wanna use funds as an excuse?). The Child has no clothes, or just another naked plebeian following the example ?

;) cheers
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=9268&show=320#XQPiJccj2WHO1haQ.99

No shit I was trolling you fucking idiot. I've never seen a wall of text like that with hardly anything witty or insightful said. Not that I really expected it from a brainless Naruto/Angel Beats fan...

On topic, no I wouldn't actually dismiss anything as pretentious right off the bat. You are correct that that would be pretentious, since the word pretentious is bandied about quite often. Eva was the first anime I watched (if you don't count DB and Pokemon) and I used to like it. I had seen it years ago... but now I see it for what it is.

You think a montage of images slapped together is philosophical? You stupid impressionable fuck, most of the so-called psychology is juvenile and lifted straight off a freshman text. They ran out of budget and had to save face, so they abandoned what little narrative coherence they had and made that infamous ending so that chumps could lap it up and pretend to be deep. That is pretentious.

If you want something that is truly philosophical and isn't pretentious (even though some would claim that it is) check out Ghost in the Shell or Akira.

Edit: I also find it deliciously ironic that you would accuse me of following the example, since if that were the case I would praise NGE to the heavens and accuse any detractors of not being deep enough to understand it (which I've seen all too often). Keep on bleating though if that kind of thing suits you.
Jotaro_KujoAug 23, 2013 1:35 AM
Aug 23, 2013 5:54 AM

Jul 2013
Jotaro_Kujo said:
Nannerman said:

Edit:

;) cheers
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=9268&show=320#XQPiJccj2WHO1haQ.99

No shit I was trolling you fucking idiot. I've never seen a wall of text like that with hardly anything witty or insightful said. Not that I really expected it from a brainless Naruto/Angel Beats fan...

On topic, no I wouldn't actually dismiss anything as pretentious right off the bat. You are correct that that would be pretentious, since the word pretentious is bandied about quite often. Eva was the first anime I watched (if you don't count DB and Pokemon) and I used to like it. I had seen it years ago... but now I see it for what it is.

You think a montage of images slapped together is philosophical? You stupid impressionable fuck, most of the so-called psychology is juvenile and lifted straight off a freshman text. They ran out of budget and had to save face, so they abandoned what little narrative coherence they had and made that infamous ending so that chumps could lap it up and pretend to be deep. That is pretentious.

If you want something that is truly philosophical and isn't pretentious (even though some would claim that it is) check out Ghost in the Shell or Akira.

Edit: I also find it deliciously ironic that you would accuse me of following the example, since if that were the case I would praise NGE to the heavens and accuse any detractors of not being deep enough to understand it (which I've seen all too often). Keep on bleating though if that kind of thing suits you.

You lost all your credibility with the first post, had the chance to fix it, failed...hard...
Now its quite obvious who you are and why you are here, just an immature fukwit of self proclaimed adult with 8th grader syndrome that likes to act smart, builds up ego with insulting and dislikes anything that his brain cant handle.

The thing I was bothered with is that you wasted all your vocab on 2-sentence-fail-comment without being constructive at all( and it seems it continued, again, hypocrite much? ). It's obvious you have been watching entirely different anime series or you are just ignorant to the fact it is philosophical( even the part you try so hard to denounce(the montage part), did you read my first comment at all?)
Yes, the problem is that THAT montage of slapped together images IS philosophical, didn't you listen to inner monologues(struggle of ego?)? But not to argue about philosophy and its existence in NGE , cuz you clearly wont get it in million years.

But very well, lets say you made a valid point of them failing the ending, you managed only to scratch up a few things that bother you with ending, the most original part of the anime, so I wont have much to argue about.
Your comment on its philosophy basically denounces whole anime based on visual impact, which is pretty immature and I still wonder why we are arguing about stuff like this. The next point you bring out is the cheesiness of psychology, which is easily refuted by stating that it is authors decision to make thins more simple and audible to the audiences that include people like you, which had quite the counter effect and made it too simple for you(despite you showing your clear misunderstanding of the series and ending, but oh well, cant wont and don't have time to reeducate you). I think it should have been even more suggestive so the likes of you wouldn't have the chance to comment on psychology which is also apparent even with your bashing comments. The second fact is that it touches a lot of psychological themes(quite obviously) and to some point discusses it, which clearly isnt enough for you and you need PURE philosophical novel/movie, but I fear that it wont be enough, since you cant even handle the more (claimed by yourself) simple piece of art. Did they run out of budget? Prolly. Does that bother you? Should we antagonize all low budget pieces of art then? Exemplify Michael Bay movies? Cuz thats the direction you are heading too...Ofc they had to make budget cuts, but they didn't make their series any less worthy of praise, they tried to appear more mature and wise by being original and at the same time tried being thrifty for a change. It apparently impacted viewing experience for most of the people, but if you cant get past that, then I don't have much of an good opinion of you(like there was any at the start...). The point you can argue is Did they pretend? Or did they actually purposely raise some questions, opinions, thoughts and/or discussions ? I think the answer is quite obvious, even if you call them pretentious, they are still there...the opinions are biches, right?
Anyways by your last claim I can also call out Camus for being obvious and shallow in his literary art for not using MORE words and/or complex analogies and/or characters to prove his point. Does it make him less valuable and my existence more valuable? NO
I only come off as a pretentious ass like yourself.

Am I coming off as a "detractor", maybe, I think not, but cant live solely on my input, right? This is why larger discussions are more fruitful compared to mutual skull bashing we initiated.

Now onto the part you obviously like the most, irrational low-brain-capacity-insults, which I hate myself for, since I'm bringing myself down to the likes of your level.
I can see you are quite simple minded since you cant live with "what little coherence they had and abandoned", but apparently your younger self could(or are you just watching cuz...MECHA? herp a derp)? I could also easily call you out as an impressionable moron for liking GitS and Akira because of its popularity/infamy on the same principle you used, but I wont stoop THAT low, don't worry.
Dont start me on insulting people based on having favorite childhood series and being called out for that, should I call you DB/DBZ moron in the same way then? You dislike cheesy heart wrenching series like AB? Does it hurt your sissy feelings that some random stranger on the interwebz does? I mean why bother getting personal without even trying to look farther then the cover of the book?

And finding obvious stuff ironical is pretty much the proof of your simple-mindedness and the fact you missed an obvious analogy that alludes to your pretentiousness; to answer in a metaphor: you just ended up being another of the plebs that was so jealous he made his own beautiful cloak of nothingness, you had the chance to be THE child and actually show some substance on your "thick" skin(get it? :D). This all just further proves me of you being just a simpleton, try harder and be more original...You still have a chance not to come off as a puffed-up-ego smartass.

Thanks on recommendations BTW, I already planned to watch GitS but for some reason completely forgot about it, I know I quite liked the soundtrack I found and firmly decided to watch it...and yeah :/ life happened. Dunno about Akira tough, if I have time I might check it out

And also thanks for at least trying to have proper discussion going on :)

EDIT: Oh... and I'm more of a manga guy, so don't judge me a lot based on that, I too have some qualms over the Naruto anime(hell even the manga) but its an irreplaceable part of childhood... and I do quite like brainless fun anime too, I know :/ everyone has their own vice
NannermanAug 23, 2013 6:02 AM
Aug 23, 2013 9:34 AM

Jul 2013
tuiddlestix said:
Eva certainly is deep, but it is nowhere near philosophical. The reason for its deepness doesn't come from the series itself, but investigating the author in context to the series.

You people still dont discern what the term philosophical means and Id say quite the opposite: that Eva certainly tries to be deep(being shallow here and there) and gripes on some serious existential questions(philosophy), but it falls a tiny bit short because it tries to be a fun-mecha anime at the same time.
Even if you include the fact that it intentionally changes mid-show into more psychological/philosophical and less fun/mecha anime, you cant shake off the core that was built and the audience that connected with it, this is one of the reasons the popularity bloomed later rather then at the time of release.
The reason its shallow in places, was what you found as a reason for its complexity/deepness, the author is a wannabe-thinker/artist...simple as that.

The reason for NGE deepness completely lies in series itself, authors connection/dissonance with the series(only his understanding of the world at the time did something) has to do very little with it, you can only use his public statements to disprove of comments like Jotaro_Kujos, like for the example: Jotaro says that the ending/series is faux philosophical, whilst Anno stated his intention for NGE.

The content in NGE makes you feel the age when it was made, making it sort of biographical/autobiographical(maybe why you felt the author is THAT important?), it makes you feel the Angst of that time, that corporate-ruled-world fear, that anxiety of unknown and new, sort of scary utilitarian society where individuality/life only matters on surface, but is in reality disposable. Thats where the "shallow" lies, that lack of insight and an art that is ONLY contemporary, which is why it loses some value over time(on the other hand gains some too tough), much like the original ALIEN .

We can argue to which extent does the philosophical part go to, but its existence is undeniable, the ending is the proof at the very least that NGE dabbles in such stuff.
Aug 23, 2013 10:05 AM

Jul 2013

But...but...it does....
The whole ending starts with the premise of people being lost, destructive and reason less and ends with the conclusion that the H.Sapiens is such a creature that build themselves(EGO) by interacting even if it hurts and feels dumb/reasonless, which the last message quite clearly supports by saying BE YOURSELF or in other words dont be afraid of human contact and fight the judgmental society for your own piece of the pie(I mean a clear message for a child show), the process of concluding is also shown in the form of oh-so-hated photo-montage and other suggestive scenes(like the inside of their mind/ego).

What you are talking about is deterioration of psyche AND decline of the mind (mind the difference), which is also done, but as a sort of a side-show/side dish(not a primary target, see the part where I comment Annos statement) or better said: a build up to conclusion, some meat to the bone. Its just the part of psychological characterization of Shinji and others that make the conclusion available/possible.

I can easily understand why you misunderstood me(lulz :S) because I went a bit too deep on the reason why/how the author influenced the show(whut? lol? influenced? but he made it, herp a derp :D JK don't take this particular part in parentheses too seriously....I hate being obvious)

thanks for the reply
Aug 23, 2013 12:11 PM

Aug 2013
@ Nannerman
What the fuck... I swear I replied a few hours ago, but my previous post isn't showing up. Anyway... you seem like a cool dude, so I apologize for trolling you. You were considerate at the end there, which kinda sucks for me cause I'm bored and I wanted to flame you instead. Don't take it personally, it's the internet and I don't really give a fuck otherwise.

You wanted me to address the points specifically; I'll start with NGE's strengths. I appreciate its characterization and I think it is done excellently, not just with the main leads but in the side characters as well. You have Kaji (troubled beneath his carefree demeanor), Ritsuko (wants to be different from her mother but still sleeps with Gendo), and Fuyutsuki (loves Yui but works for Gendo). So I have no complaints there.

But you're ignoring instances when things were placed by the creators merely to look cool by their own admissions. The religious symbolism was "cool" to Japanese viewers; that's all there is to it, but yet fanboys have written whole essays on its meaning. THAT's what I mean by pretentious.

Words from scientific concepts are thrown in, like Terminal Dogma (from molecular biology) and Dirac sea (from quantum physics). But if you understood what those terms mean, you would know that they make absolutely no sense when used in the context of the show. Again, only to look cool. THAT is pretentious.

The last point, which was our original contention, concerns the ending. You keep saying it is philosophical. I'm a math major but I've taken a few philosophy courses. You don't have to tell me if something is philosophical; I will generally recognize it. Tell me, what concepts did the show invoke? Be SPECIFIC. Can you name the concepts/ideas, and can you offer up an analysis on how the concept was addressed and explored?

For example; in Ghost in the Shell you have the brain in a vat idea; in Dark City (a movie) you have Plato's allegory of the cave. The burden of proof is on you, but you've not demonstrated any philosophical insight on NGE's part. If you fail to do this, then I will assume that you're only going with the crowd and are incapable of offering up an objective analysis. Cite your claims; thus far you haven't done so. I've discussed this at length with hardcore Eva fans who've offered me much more substantial arguments.
Aug 23, 2013 12:36 PM

Jul 2013
Something is broken with forums, cant see your posts without doing a tiny bit of haxor...dunno whats going on, gonna reply asap
Aug 23, 2013 1:50 PM

Jul 2013

Here again I disagree, their train of thought is chaotic, most of the time, irrational reactions, yet understandable, but still irrational from our/normal standpoint.

I didn't say at any one point that characters themselves are involved in philosophizing except the obvious contender: Shinji, which is and should be quite obvious, he is quite literately showing the whole process of "philosophizing". Yet you are also true when you say that it leaves a lot upon the reader, but the way you put it sounds like NGE by itself is just a heap of scrabmled mess of thought material.
While it also does philosophize on its own and as I said, it mainly does so with existence of Ego and humans, main concern of philosophers/humans since earliest days of culture/humanity.
Aug 23, 2013 2:29 PM

Jul 2013

Firstly I thank you for your generous :P and quite mild(this time, hue hue hue :D)

I want to say that I agree that sometimes producers/creators overdo it with trying to look cool, but that's the thing, you will see that stuff more often the more older you get, eg. the youngsters hopping on the communist-hype train and listening to their reasoning, or when you see "scientists" spewing utter bullshi+, there will always be stuff like that...And you make quite a valid point there with Dirac(Dogma and Christianity not so much, since its only naming and holds basically no importance to plot, there are dime a dozen shows that use mythology "irresponsibly", eg. Norse mythology in SWO...) but still it aint much of an impact on quality at least not deserving a -1 to the score,
and still you have to consider that Anno intended this anime to be a sort of sober-up-experience for children, which basically means that I'm admiring a children s show :/ and that we are seriously discussing over it :S, but nvm....we do weird stuff all the time...

On the topic of "philsophicality" of this series (heeeeeeey I made a new word), while it doesn't hold any famous/easy to recognize philosophical anecdote/concept/allusion/idea like Camus Sisyphus or aforementioned Platos infamous game of shadows(quite liked it when I encountered it the first time, goes for Camus too, gave me a tiny bit of will/inspiration: +1 to Will, not so much with Plato as he pretty much nailed the society for what it is) . And the reason I say this is because you don't need one concrete idea to be shown to be seen as smart/deep/philosophical , that's what metaphors are for, I mean quite literally can the series as a whole, be seen as one giant metaphor and quite a lot of people tried to show it that way, some came out as asshat shit-pulling pretentious assholes.
Thats the point, you can take out so many lessons or so called philosophical ideas by yourself without being truly invalid or incorrect and still not sound as an pretentious ass, ofc as long as you state it on valid arguments and solid foot ground, hell , you might even pull out something entirely different then what the author wanted you to or planned to as long as you sound coherent and logical(heeeeeeey quantum mechanics, it sounds weird and illogical(TO MOST) but isnt, see :D closer to your field of study?). But concretely looking for some kind of typical piece of philosophy will result in you finding some existential questions and usual human how/who/why to the life.

If you still insist that you need some kind of proof of existence of an already verified and publicized philosophical idea taking place in NGE...the job is quite easy... as they basically CITE the source in anime itself: Schopenhauers Appendices and Omissions and his famous porcupine dilemma.

Oh and take this:
Schopenhauer basically shaped European Existentialism and contributed to it a lot, remember when I said that NGE dabbles in existential questions? Coincidence? I think not... :D

You can at least take that last point as a fact that Anno at least tried to do SOME homework before spewing shi+.

Edit:
Oh and I applaud you for actually being an academic citizen(or at least trying to be), not that often in this day and age, go figure why I'm on the forums :/

Edit2.0: Oh and do I really have to explain how the porcupine dilemma fits into the NGE? I mean its quite obvious

Edit3.0: Oh to hell with it, I have too much free time on my hands so why not, quoting myself:

"The whole ending starts with the premise of people being lost, destructive and reason less and ends with the conclusion that the H.Sapiens is such a creature that build themselves(EGO) by interacting even if it hurts and feels dumb/reasonless, which the last message quite clearly supports by saying BE YOURSELF or in other words dont be afraid of human contact and fight the judgmental society for your own piece of the pie(I mean a clear message for a child show), the process of concluding is also shown in the form of oh-so-hated photo-montage and other suggestive scenes(like the inside of their mind/ego)."

To add up, since I was referring to other problem with that response...it basically says we should try and overcome the pain we encounter and/or fight to get what matters to us, in Shinjis case: someone that cares for him.
Meaning Shinji was willing to get stuck on others defensive needles in order to get that body warmth to sustain his life(ie. his ego/person). There, hedgehog dilemma.

NannermanAug 23, 2013 2:58 PM
Aug 30, 2013 8:38 PM

Aug 2013
I loved the breakdowns and the conflicts the characters held with themselves.
But still.
If I hadn't known about the low budget and how it was SUPPOSED to be open to interpretation, I would have thought the writers were on crack or something -_-
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Sep 1, 2013 1:57 PM

Jul 2009
Ending was... confusing. But at the same time great, as Shinji finally made his brain work properly. Saw a parody of the ending on "Keroro Gunsou" some days before I watched this, so it was nice to see where the reference were from.
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Sep 13, 2013 9:09 PM

Sep 2011
God those last few episodes were hard to watch. Its unfortunate because it started off pretty good too.
Sep 22, 2013 6:11 AM

Apr 2013
This doesn't even feel like an ending.
At least we know that It was because the creators ran out of budget :(

But I'm looking forward to the movie ending.

Always-HungrySep 22, 2013 8:02 AM
Sep 22, 2013 4:14 PM

Feb 2013
Congratulations! Time to watch the movie now.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Sep 27, 2013 10:37 PM

Aug 2011
I liked the ending but I think it just wasn't right that these were set as the last two episodes. I feel somehow this sorta thing should have been put somewhere in the middle of the story, just not in the end. Usually how I feel about endings is excitement and a bad ass way to end the story off but this isn't really what happened here. I mean, to begin with, I was searching for an action series but later on into the story, you soon realize that it's not all about the action, it's about the mentality of the characters. I enjoyed getting into their past and seeing through their perspective but the fact that it was so long when it could already could have been summed up in about five minutes or so just kind of sets me off.
Oct 17, 2013 6:55 PM

Nov 2010
I have an idea of what the ending's about but my reaction is still.... dafuq
Oct 20, 2013 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
asandari said:
I just loved the mental breakdown, the pace and everything was perfect, really. Repetition, like every key point flashing through shinji's head, or the collective conciousness... or however you wish to interpret it.

Absolutely brilliant, in my opinion.

I also liked the mental breakdown, it was very interesting to see, if not a little confusing.
Overall, though, I loved this series, it was really... complex. On to End of Evangelion!
Oct 27, 2013 2:13 PM
Oct 2013
been a while since i watched it all, but like most everyone is ssaying the last two episodes really threw me off track, i guess it was because they were sooooo different from what had been done before, but honestly i wish they had just delayed those episodes rather than cut it off there as there were soo many other things left unanswered, such as the yui experiments (later defined in the movies i think) yes, shinji ikari's mental acceptence of himself is the overall goal of the series, but it lead me to believe that it would be anything but a room full of people and the other characters cheering him on as if the eva never existed and it was all a dream he had. the ending i feel was just for a lack of words: unfinished, and has ruined the rest of the series nearly beyond redemption for me. i only rewatch it to see if perhaps i was just too young and näive to realize what was going on and it will later make sense, or did it really put itself beyond redemption? all i can hope for is that 4.44 finishes it and that with how good the others were done, that they once again make me a believer in the series.
Dec 17, 2013 12:33 PM

Dec 2012
LOL
LOL
LMFUCKINGAO
GAINAX
AHAHA
I
CAN'T EVEN
LOL
Dec 24, 2013 12:21 AM

Aug 2007
I actually really enjoyed the ending.
I admit I'm a sucker for introspection and philosophy, as well with anything that touches base on the meaning of life and self worth.

I feel a lot of the people replying to this thread that dislike this anime is due to the fact the last two episodes were quite heavy on dialogue and to get the full meaning you really needed to sit down and think. The obvious point of "loving yourself" is deep on how you look at it and possibly where you are in life.

Guess what? I will inevitably rate a slice-of-life lower than something thought provoking than another person, but it just shows that two different people like different types of things. But I always give them a chance and sometimes a couple really surprise me. But some people want specific things out of anime. And there isn't anything wrong with that. Not everyone wants to escape reality with a show that dives right into it without mercy.

NGE, to me, was about Shinji and his inner struggle. Along with that, it shows other characters and their turmoils, showing that most people will experience a sense of crises in their lives. How you relate to these series of events and what types of trauma you may or may have not encountered can alter your enjoyment of this. I suspect people who have had a bout of depression can relate to this more than to someone who pushes through struggles with ease. I actually loved the mecha aspect of it, the characters felt real, the symbolism was thought provoking and the "long ramble" of the last two episodes make it remarkable, and one of the top anime I've seen. Even with budget cuts, I quite liked the simplistic approach and felt it didn't particularly dampen the atmosphere.

The only gripes I had was the slow start in the beginning, the couple of pieces of information that you had to infer that are important to the plot, and the short appearance of the last angel, Kaworu. I'm particularly sore that they introduced and killed him in one episode. His death wasn't as dramatic as it should have been, because we didn't have time to fully appreciate his role. That minute pause would have been so much sweeter and less awkward if we had another episode or two to see the interaction and quick attachment Shinji had to Kaworu. I personally would have docked an episode from the beginning, and shortened the second to last episode. I felt the way Shinji was able to open up to him was very vital to come to the conclusion of loving himself in the end.

So, after my ramble, I'll conclude and give this an 8/10 and a spot on my favorites list!

Dec 30, 2013 6:46 PM

Feb 2012
I really enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion. I loved the story and the characters. The action was fun. My only problem was the last 2 episodes.

I can see why this is a classic. 8/10. I will definitely rewatch Neon Genesis Evangelion again in the future..........I love the opening for this show.
Jan 2, 2014 4:04 AM

Mar 2013
The animation style wasn't as bad as I expected but the story was weird as hell.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jan 31, 2014 6:48 AM

Jul 2009
Even tho most of the things discussed in the last 2 episodes held some truth and realism.........thru most of them i was always "GET TO THE FUCKING POINT!!!!!!!!!!!" because it made me realize just how much of an asshole i really am
DarkRyuuseiJan 31, 2014 6:51 AM
Pages (17) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.