Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 25, 2022 2:32 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 24, 2022 11:32 AM

Oct 2020
Spooky episode..
I guess Asuka had it pretty rough, but there're still some things I felt weren't really touched on. So after her mother had that psychotic break and ended things, her dad got another wife, but what then? We know Asuka was pretty traumatized after everything and didn't accept the new lady as her mom (and still doesn't even though she plays nice with her over the phone), but what about her dad? He seemed like he cared for her, but I guess she never cared much for him -- or at least as much as she did her mom? They said her mom never paid much attention to her in the first place so it makes sense that she yearned for maternal love, but from the way she acts, I assumed that she didn't even have a dad.

Anywho, I guess the only other person she actually enjoyed was Kaji (RIP) and you could say it's because he's a conventionally attractive guy who gave her attention, but I think it's more than that. To an extent, Kaji represented the independent, adult life that Asuka wanted so badly after the incident with her mother. Him rejecting her advances only further troubled her because it reinforced the idea that she was a child who needed someone to take care of her.
Tbh, the hallelujah chorus sort of took me out since that's more or less a meme song

-- I also liked how we got to see Misato piecing together more Nerv secrets. I think it would be cool to see her continue Kaji's work and expose the truth behind the second impact and Nerv's goals.
tiaamyomMay 24, 2022 11:36 AM
Jul 3, 2022 8:10 AM

Dec 2007
*director cut*
again 30 min. i'm wondering though if they just added more "elevator" time and more loops on that asuka's trip lol.

i'm glad for this episode. it's just shows how much asuka is much more complex character than she shows.

and also, i get the fact that there's something in shinji "they" don't tell us yet.

the angels at this point are godlike right now.
lol @ halauluja OST.
Sep 4, 2022 4:17 PM
Nov 2018
Asuka [e literalmente eu
Sep 21, 2022 9:13 AM
Jan 2021
asukas background story and her problems are being revealed
Sep 25, 2022 12:00 PM
Dec 2015
Chaaaaaaaaaaance :p
Sep 30, 2022 9:40 AM
Aug 2022
loved this episode! the angel design is amazing, and i love how they can attack psychologically as well even though poor asuka probably can't say the same. i liked asuka's backstory as well and how it all relates to dolls. though asuka rushes into the battle again which she has to be saved from. rei is the one who saves her instead of shinji so i'm really glad for that change of pace!
Oct 25, 2022 1:26 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
What a sick freaking javelin throw.

Also this all seems new to me, I think I had previously dropped it at the previous episode.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 7, 2022 1:34 PM
Oct 2016
The director's cut eps aren't as good as the regular ones
Nov 15, 2022 1:52 PM

Aug 2022
This was such a mindfuck episode. Also I was watching it at night and those flashes burned my eyes.

I really love Atuska, but I hope that she'll get a little less prideful. Yeah her childhood was really hard and I sympathize with her, but that's not a reason to treat others badly.

I can't belive that there are only 4 episodes left. I watched this too fast.
Nov 26, 2022 9:57 PM

Aug 2020
man adults are so fucked up
Dec 23, 2022 10:30 AM

Sep 2018
It's pretty specific but as someone who's both learning Japanese and interested in etymology, it's been amusing to notice some of the details in the script. For example, in this episode it was said that "people create dolls as a reflection of self" while the Japanese word for doll literally breaks down to "the shape of a human".
Jan 1, 2023 6:49 PM

Jan 2022
Asukas insecurities and mental unstableness are finally brought to the forefront. She's just like Shinji, both feel abandoned/betrayed by their parents and weren't loved enough growing up as a result. Only instead of retreating inwards like Shijnji does, Asuka lashes out. Instead of refusing to get in the elevator like with what shinji did with gendo, she marches in and puts up a front to hide her true feelings. She craves affection from others but unlike shinji she doesn't shy away from openly begging for it. With all these similarities no wonder she hates him, hes basically her and the one person she hates above all others is herself.

Good on Mr. Kaji for not perving on a mentally unstable 14 year old.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 1, 2023 9:40 PM

Jul 2021
shit this one was a very heavy episode. poor asuka. she's the first one who's past we have seen. rei and our boy shinji left.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 13, 2023 11:47 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 30, 2023 4:56 PM

Dec 2010
Shinji being the only person from the opposite sex that Asuka can relate to, since she's not old enough to be recognised by adults, hits hard. Unfortunately he's unable to reciprocate and bond with her because of his own issues. Really makes you wonder how many people must be separated like that in RL, needing each other while just at an arm length's distance.
Feb 6, 2023 7:44 PM

Mar 2016
While quite the messed up past, can you really say Asuka has had it any worse than Shinji or Rei? You can admire her for being how she is and wanting to not need anyone, but she never thinks on how she can actually achieve that. She just belittles those who do what she refuses to learn how to do and then just makes a complete fool of herself. Although in the case of the angel attack, it was unfortunate and would be curious to see how it would've affected Rei, which would mean no one to javelin shot the Spear of Longinus (what even is it?).
She goes on about 'Shinji the mighty' and them not being needed because of him. It's more a case of him actually being the most competent in most mission (hence why I hated him being suddenly dumbed down for the void and EVA-03 episodes). He's having to pick up the slack from the others. Asuka is all talk and Rei has issues fully connecting with her EVA.

It'll be interesting to see how Asuka comes out from this. Will she see that her comrades AREN'T pitying her and that it's fine for her to work WITH them? Or are about to Asuka's bitch-mode evolve into mega-bitch? Someone needs to slap her before she gets herself killed (even if that's what she'd prefer), and this is just going to make breaking ther Kaji news to her even harder (does Shinji even know at this point?).

Will finish up by saying that while it was meant to be a serious moment with Asuka being mentally attacked......I couldn't help but laugh at the church choir singing xD
Feb 21, 2023 9:26 PM
Jul 2022
asuka screen time? five star episode.
Mar 15, 2023 9:39 AM

Jul 2017
Beautiful sad episode, i feel for Asuka we really got to see a new side to her character and backstory. it's very interesting. one thing i like about this anime is how it showcases mental health in all it's forms and how it's a reoccurring theme throughout this journey.
May 24, 2023 9:23 PM
Feb 2021
Asuka is such a strange character. She's very realistic, but also pretty unlikable, I think it's weird how every character but Shinji and maybe Rei have become at least somewhat unlikable. Misato even ran off to Kaji immediately after Shinji recovered, and it doesn't seem like she was there for Asuka in the month between. As their guardian, that's pretty fucked really. Shinji was pretty unlikable in the beginning of the show has now become probably the most likable character. I do feel bad for Asuka though, but damn she has no real right to be mad at Shinji just because he saves the day a lot. It does make sense though, I mean she quite literally has no relevance to the plot and that's on purpose. She knows in the back of her mind that Shinji and Rei are more important than her, and that makes her super compelling really.
May 27, 2023 7:02 PM
Apr 2020
bro what was that episode preview?
May 30, 2023 5:41 PM
Sep 2021
achei muito que a asuka ia de arrasta :(
Jun 12, 2023 12:47 PM
May 2023
I find myself to empathizing with Asuka more than I should, and after the episode I find myself in her way to much!
Dec 30, 2023 12:58 AM
May 2022
the fucking hallelujah chorus out of nowhere threw me for a hell of a loop. although, combined with the light shining on asuka from the heavens, it's kind of a satire of a "divine revelation". this is probably the only time a religious theme actually made sense and wasn't just random crosses lmao. looks asuka has finally been brought into the holy trinity of depression
Jan 14, 12:40 AM

Dec 2022
AND HE SHALL REIGN FOREVER AND EVER!
AND HE SHALL REIGN FOREVER AND EVER!
King of kings forever and ever! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
And Lord of lords forever and ever! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
And Lord of lords forever and ever! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
AND LORD OF LORDS!
KING OF KINGS! AND LORD OF LORDS!
Mar 11, 4:44 AM

Jul 2017
the episode made to understand asuka, beautiful and deeply sad at the same time.
She is afraid of human closure, so she hate everyone, trying to be independent and adult, even if she is 14 years old.
rei using the spear was very cool.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Mar 16, 10:14 AM
Feb 2024
Too much to think about, another life changing episode
Mar 16, 2:04 PM

Jul 2014
We stan a BPD queen.
Take care of yourself

Mar 20, 8:13 PM

Mar 2022
As I’ve said before that Asuka as a whole for me has been a case of I find her funny at times but other times I find her overly angry for the sake of being angry I mean I get the appeal of her character and she’s probably one of the more popular characters when it comes to Evangelion but honestly I think I find Rei to be more interesting than her mainly because there’s a lot more to Rei than on first glance and Asuka as a character just feels like she’s doing the same schtick over and over again and again throughout the show. But I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel sympathetic for Asuka in this episode.

We did get some insight into why she is the way she is and I will say the use of Hallelujah was very off-putting at first but then it just got very disturbing as the scene progressed with the angel just fucking up Asuka’s mind with that light beam. Judging by the flashbacks we saw, she really had quite the rough life there with her mother going crazy and her not wanting to accept her new parental figure I mean damn no wonder she’s got anger issues a lot of the time.

Rei using that spear on that angel at the end was pretty neat though. But man this episode was just verging on the disturbing a lot of the time, a brilliant episode but very disturbing episode for me.
Mar 30, 3:38 PM
Jan 2024
The holy hand grenade music goes crazy
Apr 10, 6:08 AM
Jul 2023
Damn, poor Asuka
- Ritsuko is such a girls girl for saying her period has nothing to do with it (I’m joking I know she’s talking scientifically)
- Arael’s design is sick!
- Poor Asuka was mind raped…. I wonder if this was an attack by the angel, or if Asuka is just so fucked up that she got trauma from it accessing her memories
Apr 10, 6:08 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to Muerteul
The holy hand grenade music goes crazy
@Muerteul a man of culture
Apr 21, 4:37 PM
Apr 2023
Finally seeing something of Asuka’s very depressing backstory and her being hit by a literal mind rape was very sad but really cool to see. Very trippy. Also Rei throwing the Spear was really cool. She better not die next episode like the teaser said or I will be sad yes.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

167 by bronzeagesungod »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 3, 2007

182 by bronzeagesungod »»
Yesterday, 9:56 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

226 by bronzeagesungod »»
Yesterday, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

187 by bronzeagesungod »»
Yesterday, 6:02 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

74 by PlentyDabs »»
Yesterday, 3:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.