Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 7, 2009 1:25 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So it begins with the Bradley Scene. Glad to see it being there. uncut.
Winry-fanboying-about-Rush-Valley scene too.

"Other" parts *sniff* of episode *sniff* were handled *sniff* perfectly....*sniff*

the death scene was handled really nicely as well as burial stuff, with Fuhrer's shaking hands as well as "Its Raining" line.

The afterscenes were nice touch too, as well as after-ED preview of next episode
AhenshihaelJun 7, 2009 1:28 AM
Jun 7, 2009 1:37 AM

Jul 2008
Still incredibly sad to watch. But wow, it was pretty horrifying going from Hughes to the happy kids on the train. DDDDDD:

The funeral... T___T

But, the moment between Roy and Riza... this was the moment that originally made me really ship Royai. Just seeing how they behaved with each other in this scene... I could tell there was tons of history between them. And this is how I am suckered into all my angst ridden ships. D:

Next episode looks meh. Izumi should be appearing in one of the next few episodes, so I'll be waiting for that.

BEGINNER
Jun 7, 2009 12:11 PM

May 2008
This episode just became my favorite episode other than episode 4.

The emotions were portrayed very well. I had to hold back a few tears at the funeral scene. Poor Elicia and Gracia. :(

Jun 7, 2009 5:10 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
At this point, thanks to many of the posters from the last episode's topic for all the spoilers for this episode You're highly appreciated idiots.

Anyway, sad episode. Looks like Lust & Co. are using the military to get their resources.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 7, 2009 5:17 PM

Feb 2008
I don't like what's going on there. :/

cyruz said:
At this point, thanks to many of the posters from the last episode's topic for all the spoilers for this episode You're highly appreciated idiots.

Thank Haruhi I'm not reading all that.
Jun 7, 2009 5:23 PM

Jun 2008
Hughes death wasn't as sad as it was in the original.
kie_Jun 7, 2009 5:26 PM
Jun 7, 2009 5:27 PM

May 2007
So let me say this:

The episode itself was executed wonderfully, from start to finish. The music accentuated each and every scene beautifully. The episode itself, I have no qualms.

My only point of criticism in this episode is that because Brotherhood really only spent a total of pretty much 1 episode (you can argue two) developing Hughes' character, his death didn't really have much of an effect on me as it did in the first season...and even in the manga. I wasn't as emotionally attached to him as I should of been and thus, seeing his death really left me without much feeling one way or another. To be honest, seeing Roy's reaction to Hughes' death made me feel for Roy more so. Maybe it's because I knew it was going to happen or something like that, but in the other two venues, this scene hit me more so than in Brotherhood.

Regardless, we're getting closer to new material. Cause for celebration. Woot.
Jun 7, 2009 5:32 PM

Nov 2008
We're still in the "FMA - the Rehash" mode, I'm still waiting to see an episode that wasn't in the first anime series, and the previews for next episode are familiar too. And I haven't seen anything in "Brotherhood" that is a significant improvement over how it was done in the first anime series.

So far I've seen nothing in the first 10 episodes of "Brotherhood" that makes me want to retire my DVDs from the first anime series.
Jun 7, 2009 5:42 PM

Sep 2008
For some reason, I could never find it tear-jerking that Hughes died...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2009 6:20 PM

Apr 2008
kie_ said:

+1
Jun 7, 2009 6:53 PM

Apr 2009
Even though I was prepared to see Huges die (for a third time) it wasn't as emotional this time for me. I will agree though that this adaption was much better than the first. The atmosphere and the way it was played out was great. Huges last words sounded so much more meaningfull when we lunged at Envy with the shank and the last bit when he was fading away was good.

But I guess not seeing Huges as much as in the first series gave me a little disconnect but I still teared a little for poor Elicia at the funeral.

Huges will always be the man though even with his goofball personality he was always badass when he was serious.

I will have to oppogize to those whom have not read nor seen the first series on my behalf for my post last week (though I used a spoiler button). Anyways pretty soon we will be to a point where only those who have read the manga will know what will happen next so hopefully some of the spoilers will start to fade away. Or people should just learn to encode the button into their posts >.>
OmegaoverideJun 7, 2009 6:58 PM
Jun 7, 2009 6:58 PM

Mar 2009
NUUUUUU!! It was even worse in this series..NUUUUUU HUUUUUGHES!!!! Wonderful episode, they portrayed this so much better. The Mustang/Armstrong talk at Hughes grave was awesome, I think this may have been the best/worst episode so far ..NUUUUUU....Urahara Out!!
Sent with Mal Updater
Jun 7, 2009 7:04 PM

Jul 2008
wow
lol time to say bye to Hughes XD
o wells cant wait for next week's episode
Jun 7, 2009 7:05 PM

Apr 2008
He died so early ...lols this series is really moving fast

Jun 7, 2009 7:16 PM

Mar 2008
kie_ said:

The fact that you already knew it was going to happen probably contributed to that.
Jun 7, 2009 7:20 PM
Oct 2008
vindemon64 said:

My only point of criticism in this episode is that because Brotherhood really only spent a total of pretty much 1 episode (you can argue two) developing Hughes' character, his death didn't really have much of an effect on me as it did in the first season...and even in the manga. I wasn't as emotionally attached to him as I should of been and thus, seeing his death really left me without much feeling one way or another.

yes, i agree... somehow i think even the manga did better at making audience connect with hughes. in this anime, we hardly see any of him... >.<

haiz... i wonder if FMA will still be as enjoyable without the hughes-fooling-around to look forward to... seeing that they got rid of my fav character so early and without much significance...
Jun 7, 2009 7:27 PM

Sep 2008
T.T no more Hughes for the rest of the anime :(

Jun 7, 2009 7:30 PM

Feb 2008
I've always felt that Fullmetal Alchemist, in the right hands, had the potential to be a great fantasy/thriller. Unfortunately, I can't say either adaptation has succeeded in drawing that potential out, at least consistently. This episode is a prime example.

The scene where Hughes is working with the map of Armestris and adding up all the details to realize the truth is an instance where the show works. The scene was carried off very well and was especially tense, even though having Lust pop in at that exact moment seemed a bit contrived.

"They just are," says FMA: Brotherhood.
"Now cry."

Suzune-chanSep 20, 2013 7:54 PM
Jun 7, 2009 7:45 PM

May 2007
Isambard said:

Then we come to Hughes' death scene, where things get complicated. There was great potential for this scene and its all ruined by that damned melodramatic soundtrack, just the same way it ruined the scene where Ed and Al learn the truth behind the ingredients for the Philosopher's Stone.

Really? I thought the soundtrack fit perfectly with the episode and helps accentuate the scene that much more. *Shrugs* To each his own I assume.
Jun 7, 2009 7:53 PM
Aug 2008
R.I.P. Hughes. I thought the character development with Hughes was too short. But I liked the part where Mustang said that "It's raining." after the funeral.
Jun 7, 2009 7:54 PM

Apr 2008
Already? Damnn. Removing all the fillers really speeds things up!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2009 8:36 PM

May 2008
I knew i should have skipped this episode.. god dam

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 7, 2009 8:40 PM

Oct 2007
The whole Hughes death and funeral was definitely better in the original. I think it was just because his character was more developed really in the original, so he was even more of a lovable character. But still, just as in the original, I was on the edge of tears at that funeral. Elicia's lines just get to me, and then the Roy and Riza scene. Good stuff, but the original definitely got to me more.

Jun 7, 2009 9:00 PM

Jul 2008
kie_ said:
agreed but the ep was still good
Jun 7, 2009 9:04 PM
May 2008
I really liked how they did the burial scene this time... it was nice and subtle instead of completely in your face forcing an emotional scene down your throat. I especially like Fuhrer moment with is shaking hands and the "It's crying" line.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 7, 2009 9:33 PM
Jul 2008
R.I.P. Hughes.
I wish the adaptation was more serious, like the 1st adaptation. This version seems more towards the comical side than being a serious anime.
Jun 7, 2009 9:40 PM

Oct 2007
Damn good episode. A little more rushed, and not quite as impactful as the first time around, but I still wanted to kill Envy, and the funeral scene with Elicia really tugged on the heartstrings.
Jun 7, 2009 9:42 PM

Aug 2007
cyruz said:

Ya. Makes me want to hulk smash. -.-

Hughes' death itself didn't make me tear up or anything... but the funeral... that hurt. T_T

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Jun 7, 2009 10:03 PM
Oct 2008
Quickfox said:
R.I.P. Hughes.
I wish the adaptation was more serious, like the 1st adaptation. This version seems more towards the comical side than being a serious anime.

I hate to say it but that is just how this series and the manga is. It does get more serious as it goes on but like now it will still have it's comical points.
Jun 7, 2009 10:06 PM

Aug 2008
Ok episode.

It really bothers me that it often times feels like the show is directed by someone with great style and technique (death scene) and then someone with the immaturity of an 11 year old (Bradley in the hospital). I just don't really get it. The comedy is done in such a run of the mill way that it's just so visually predictable that I kind of tune out before the punchline.

It was much more bothersome this week because it got in the way of Hughes' death. One minute it's well done as Hughes is in that little room. Then it's bad as he walks to the phone past the dumb receptionist (why didn't they just take her out all together?), then good as he's on the phone, then bad as Mustang's on the phone.

The director really needs to find himself.
Jun 7, 2009 10:15 PM
Mar 2009
NOOO WHY! WHY HUGHES!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHY NOW?!?!?!? i knew it was coming but why now!?!?!?!?!?! THE EPISODE WAS RUINED THEY HAD TO MAKE HUGHES DIE!!!

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
Jun 7, 2009 10:19 PM
Oct 2008
vindemon64 said:
So let me say this:

The episode itself was executed wonderfully, from start to finish. The music accentuated each and every scene beautifully. The episode itself, I have no qualms.

My only point of criticism in this episode is that because Brotherhood really only spent a total of pretty much 1 episode (you can argue two) developing Hughes' character, his death didn't really have much of an effect on me as it did in the first season...and even in the manga. I wasn't as emotionally attached to him as I should of been and thus, seeing his death really left me without much feeling one way or another. To be honest, seeing Roy's reaction to Hughes' death made me feel for Roy more so. Maybe it's because I knew it was going to happen or something like that, but in the other two venues, this scene hit me more so than in Brotherhood.

Regardless, we're getting closer to new material. Cause for celebration. Woot.

This is true though I think personally for me, if I had not known anything about FMA I probably still would have found this episode sad but it wouldn't be as sad.That is however do to me becoming attached to certain characters early on. The minute Hughes was first introduced on the train, he became one of my favorite characters.

The first series was more farther along than this one and featured more episodes with Hughes that weren't necessarily in the manga. Maybe if they had added a filler episode or two featuring Hughes, then maybe it would be different . So, without those it's hard to be as emotionally attached to him as we where in the first series. Though like you said, the reaction could be due to knowing it was going to happen. Even if it is sad, knowing that it's going to happen kind of kills a little of the emotional impact that you would get if you didn't know.
Jun 7, 2009 10:31 PM

Apr 2007
The funeral always gets to me. Poor Elicia ;___;
Now I can't wait for my favorite character to show up. Just a few more weeks <3
Jun 7, 2009 11:00 PM

Aug 2008
These episodes are now flowing better...

However, his death this series was lacking emotion... Can't pinpoint exactly why, but it definitely wasn't sad.
Jun 7, 2009 11:06 PM

Aug 2008
Argh I am ready for new content! I cant watch the same stuff just altered. I only go, "Oh wasnt as good as the original." I mean it was depressing and sad which was the aim but the first time it happened, the scene just left such an impact on me.
Jun 7, 2009 11:57 PM

Apr 2008
I thought this was more emotional for me than it was in the first season actually....I thought it played out much better then when Hughes was investigating Sloth and Lust comes in.
Jun 8, 2009 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
I knew what was going to happen and it still made me sad. Poor Elicia. :(
Jun 8, 2009 12:20 AM

Feb 2009
At first, it seemed much more dramatic but not emotional. Not until the funeral at least. For some reason this tore into me harder than the first time ;_;
Jun 8, 2009 12:59 AM

Jan 2009
kie_ said:

I agree, he fought more in the other version. However, the Elicia in funeral, for me, continued moving. Anyway it is a sad episode ;/
Jun 8, 2009 1:31 AM

Jul 2008
@those who say that Hughes death wasn't as sad as in the original due to less character development in earlier episodes: Even if they added 5 episodes featuring Hughes development, the scene woudn't have been any sader to you since you already know his character from first series thus all development would mean nothing. The other problem is the fact that you could predict every moment that happened after Lust appeared since it was almost the same as in the first anime.

We're still in the "FMA - the Rehash" mode, I'm still waiting to see an episode that wasn't in the first anime series, and the previews for next episode are familiar too. And I haven't seen anything in "Brotherhood" that is a significant improvement over how it was done in the first anime series.

So far I've seen nothing in the first 10 episodes of "Brotherhood" that makes me want to retire my DVDs from the first anime series.

The goal of this anime isn't to make a better adaptation then the first, but to animate the manga material that wasn't animated in the first adaptation.
Thus, it is not in Studio's interest to make you retire the 1st anime DVD's
Jun 8, 2009 1:53 AM
Sep 2008
I always hated this part, especially when Elicia is asking why her dad is beign buried
Jun 8, 2009 2:07 AM

May 2008
Seeing this for the second time didn't make it any easier
Jun 8, 2009 3:11 AM

Jul 2007
Hool said:
kie_ said:

I agree, he fought more in the other version. However, the Elicia in funeral, for me, continued moving. Anyway it is a sad episode ;/

I don't know, but for me FMA1 way of his death was just way too melodramatic:
Homonunculi attack him for no reason, he fights off for half episode, dies, etc - of course sad, but a bit overboard. The "Waving Ghost" at the end did not help it either and only increased the soapy feeling.

In fma2/manga we see it faster. It all happens faster. The death itself is crude, just as Arakawa intended. There's no stretching - We just see a death of a man and how it affects Mustang, his family, etc. Death is not mythologised with ghosts or long flashbacks - its just there, fast, instant, cruel, crude. The way it contrasts with happy scenes in the train adds up to that.

Thats more important, I see FMA2 Hughes death as meaningful(the end of episode with Mustang clearly indicated that), while FMA1 just used it as plot device and forgot it.
Jun 8, 2009 3:13 AM

Mar 2009
This part is so sad but I really like it (not like the terrible Nina part...) I knew it was going to happen, but I didn't remember it was so soon...
I love when Bradley is going through the window ^^
Jun 8, 2009 3:13 AM

May 2009
Nayrael said:
@those who say that Hughes death wasn't as sad as in the original due to less character development in earlier episodes: Even if they added 5 episodes featuring Hughes development, the scene woudn't have been any sader to you since you already know his character from first series thus all development would mean nothing. The other problem is the fact that you could predict every moment that happened after Lust appeared since it was almost the same as in the first anime.

The goal of this anime isn't to make a better adaptation then the first, but to animate the manga material that wasn't animated in the first adaptation.
Thus, it is not in Studio's interest to make you retire the 1st anime DVD's

I guess that's true. Maybe that's why the director's somewhat rushing through this, because we've all seen it (those who haven't, tough luck). Hughes death did come pretty early in this series than in the last, if I remember correctly. I guess the director wants to wrap up the already seen sequences quickly, but still good enough for everyone to follow pretty well.

It's true that the shock of Hughes' death wasn't so strong as it had been earlier, but that's because we could predict what happened, how and by whom. We were already familiar with the track of events as well as the emotions. (+ the spoilers in the last discussion.. heh.. ) That's what gives the mixed feelings. Although, it did get to me in the funeral scene and I shed two tears.

This episode was handled really well in my opinion. Except for the King Bradley part. The humour was just soo... ODD. A serious character being goofy like that.. eh.. it makes you want to get Winry's wrench and smack him in the face! :P
But all the other leads and the tie-ups were good: they started with the Ishbal war, then the death, then the Elric brothers discussing Hughes, then the funeral, then the brothers with Winry laughing.. which really pricked you in the heart.

The understanding between Roy and Riza was beautifully shown in the "raining" scene as well as the investigating scene.

Ah, damn.. I miss Hughes already. :'(
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Jun 8, 2009 3:54 AM

Sep 2008
so sad :( something i didn't want to see again but also did because of how amazing this show is. Mustang's moment in front of the grave was the most moving bit for me when he said it was raining and started crying :( Love this show, can't wait for more.
Jun 8, 2009 4:34 AM

Jan 2008
They did cut some Fuhrer lines at the beginning of the episode. His words summarized Mustang's ambition as early as during Ishval massacre. Overall, good epi 4/5.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jun 8, 2009 4:41 AM

Jul 2007
kashim said:
They did cut some Fuhrer lines at the beginning of the episode. His words summarized Mustang's ambition as early as during Ishval massacre.

I am guessing it will be used in the actual flashback. Considering you would NOT hear those words from the Mustang POV the dream was. ;)
Jun 8, 2009 4:42 AM

Jul 2008

btw, Envy and Elicia has great voices ! ~~

Jun 8, 2009 5:47 AM

Jun 2008
if not hughes death i'd vote for-loved it..RIP hughes san -_-
other than that rly well made ep..
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.